No Way Back has said while in the Vendee village that he will not use spinnakers/gennakers at night. He is more or less cruising around and is not sure if he even likes singlehanded sailing. Their is no real need to contemplate his sailing angles or boat speed or routing.

Conrad Colman has worked himself south and east and picked up a couple more spots for FNE in the process. Nice work.

Hope he does well. He has put an enormous effort just to be there. Also, would be cool if VG would get some recognition in NZ. He shoud be able to finish the race just before the AC-madness gets real.

Jonas staff cutbacks in media outlets don't help...email your local sports platforms ...they might just pick it up.

Conrad has be trying since last winter to get anybody in New Zealand interested but nothing has panned out. About 2 weeks ago he got a short interview for one of the Auckland news channels and they cut him off half way though his sentence by playing music... They don't give a shit about the VG in NZ unfortunately.

No Way Back has said while in the Vendee village that he will not use spinnakers/gennakers at night. He is more or less cruising around and is not sure if he even likes singlehanded sailing. Their is no real need to contemplate his sailing angles or boat speed or routing.

It's one hell of a way to see if you like single handed sailing, could have bought a mini or a class 40!!

It's one hell of a way to see if you like single handed sailing, could have bought a mini or a class 40!!

Not interiorly sure if this is accurate, but he originally bought another IMOCA then when the new foiler came on the market he decided to upgrade so he could try it out at the highest level.

Not interiorly sure if this is accurate, but he originally bought another IMOCA then when the new foiler came on the market he decided to upgrade so he could try it out at the highest level.

Guess if you have the cash, you can do what you like. Even if he finishes 30 days later than anyone else, he'll still have joined a very elite club.

Try to see it positive, he got the Italian out from under the boat after the sponsor evaporated.

We may also get another datapoint for the never ending slow boat fast driver, fast boat slow driver debate.

His first IMOCA was bought by Richard Tolkinen, abandoned during the Transat Bakerly, then scuttled.

Looks like Didacs blog is also restarting, still with multilingual content including translations to English and French.

That bit of extra effort makes him at least a 7 out of my top10 picks. - By last count only 10 teams have produced any tangible amount of English content since the start.

Question - how exhausted are most of these guys going into the race?

Are even the most prepared and well financed going into it pretty worn out?

Question - how exhausted are most of these guys going into the race?

Are even the most prepared and well financed going into it pretty worn out?

Weed. The good ones eat a bit of edible and sleep really well. Helps you focus on the detailed mundane sailing stuff too.

Guess if you have the cash, you can do what you like. Even if he finishes 30 days later than anyone else, he'll still have joined a very elite club.

+1

Hereema's video makes it quite clear that he is doing this as a personal adventure and has no expectations for speed. He also states he has had three inquiries on selling the boat, but has shelved all of them, because "he won't know if he likes doing this until after he's done it"

Can't wait for the next sched to come through. Hoping for the race that Hugo Boss got a little lucky and found a nice lane of breeze. Alex will need to find some speed somewhere to catch up with Banque Pop.

The two straight dagger board boats out in the first bunch are doing an impressive job. Especially pleasantly surprised with SMA considering the problems they have had this year and the somewhat anonymous performances in earlier races.

So far, Seb Josse seems a bit anonymous in this race. Had expected him to be able to make le Cleach's life a bit harder.

+1 And when you get to a certain age in life you can say fuck it..... And I'll do it in style (always the best way)....... It is pretty clear from his gybing angles, he can't be serious....... Or if he is.......

Can't wait for the next sched to come through. Hoping for the race that Hugo Boss got a little lucky and found a nice lane of breeze. Alex will need to find some speed somewhere to catch up with Banque Pop.

The two straight dagger board boats out in the first bunch are doing an impressive job. Especially pleasantly surprised with SMA considering the problems they have had this year and the somewhat anonymous performances in earlier races.

So far, Seb Josse seems a bit anonymous in this race. Had expected him to be able to make le Cleach's life a bit harder.

good 0400 sched for AT. Took a bite.

nipping at the back of the A fleet now...

Is this the complete list of boats with foil assist?

Sebastiaen Josse 'Edmond de Rothschild'
Morgan Lagraviere 'Safran'
Alex Thompson 'Hugo Boss'
Jeremie Beyou 'Maitre CoQ' (retrofitted)
Armel Le Cleac'h "Banque Populaire'
Jean Pierre Dick 'StMichel-Virbac'
Pieter Heeremer 'No Way Back'

Hereema's video makes it quite clear that he is doing this as a personal adventure and has no expectations for speed. He also states he has had three inquiries on selling the boat, but has shelved all of them, because "he won't know if he likes doing this until after he's done it"

He's doing it for adventure, but did say he was planning and packing 100 days of food... Someone might be fishing by the end of the grand adventure.

Maybe he'll pull a Moitessier!

If Alex hadn't gybed away from the main fleet west of Portugal he would have been in amongst the leaders now. I don't think his boat is slow, he just needs to keep on a similar course to the leaders and he may be able to regain his lose at the equator.

The beginning of such a long race is not the time to go off alone, leave that to people trailing up the Atlantic on the way home...

It would appear that Hugo boss is the fastest boat in the fleet. 9nm faster than anyone else over the last four hours is a lot. I am sure when AT hits the lead again he will cover next time.(That was a painful lesson) Breakage will be the only thing that will stop him from winning.

It would appear that Hugo boss is the fastest boat in the fleet. 9nm faster than anyone else over the last four hours is a lot. I am sure when AT hits the lead again he will cover next time.(That was a painful lesson) Breakage will be the only thing that will stop him from winning.

Reading about this and other comments with regards to being a knot or two faster during one shed within day 2-4 in the race, I doubt that this has to do with pure boat speed. Anyone who has sailed a bit longer than a day trip knows about attrition and maybe getting lethargic for a period, maybe only a short time due to extensive psycho training, bit still possible. Reading through some comments with a grin, maybe the contributors think that the VG boats are "running on autopilot at max speed" all the time. The driver still plays a big role in the way he is setting up his boat through the lethargic moments.

Nevertheless a great race, great comments here and lots of time to be wasted in front of the screen.

http://vg2016.regadata.org/en/reports/latest

Another cool site to follow VG.

Not map, but graphs :)

Plus the public JSON files with all the boat positions and data. Thx Forrs! If I have time on my hands I can fire up Open CPN this weekend for weather routing analysis if I can get my hands on polar files. Anyone got some to share?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_OEIb8yhSr2QW9xb2VwM01aMVE/view

http://sail.zezo.org/vendeeglobe/polars.html?pro=0

polars from the virtual regatta zezo.org, pro option.

Hope it helps as a baseline.

Breakage and himself.! His decisions and his hardness when required. (In comparison to Armel and the others)

But he is 7th? And I don't think you can cover a fleet of 28 other boats (or at least 10 other serious competitors for 26000 miles)

I would really like to see at win but he is racing against a shit hot racers in a bunch of shit hot boats. He may well have the fastest boat in some conditions, but is a fucking long race and he will have to sail the boat to its maximum potential with the right tactics to win. Somebody else might just do that job better.

If Alex hadn't gybed away from the main fleet west of Portugal he would have been in amongst the leaders now. I don't think his boat is slow, he just needs to keep on a similar course to the leaders and he may be able to regain his lose at the equator.

The beginning of such a long race is not the time to go off alone, leave that to people trailing up the Atlantic on the way home...

Fuckin Turnip.WTF.. he is not amongst the leaders now.... get up to speed...read this thread b4 posting nonsence.. if not then go back to CA, Texas or wherever you came from. This is a race more serious than living ...so rise to the occasion if you want to participate.

Getting’ intah the groove…

JJlMuLh.jpg

Seems that Cap’n Riou has now set-up to be in pouncing distance of BP… As to the clump for 3rd sooner or later that must break out?!? Hugo Boss still the contender black horse on the inside track… what larks.

The erratic’s nearer North Africa…well seems Team Ireland has an adage to local sight-seeing and does indeed have a cunning plan.

:o

Morning Lab Rats , the foiling boats , why are the end tips pointing up and not down?

I'm guessing it's because you need a sideways lifting foil (keel/centreboard) when you're more side-on to the wind and that's when you'll be heeled over, putting the upright tips in. When running free boat will be upright and the tips will be mostly clear of the water - reducing drag.

Unfortunately only in French, but a long bit of history in this PRB saga from their very first aluminum Open 60 in the very first Vendée through their two winning campaigns.

1100 Sched... Alex up to 6.

Would not be surprised to see him in 3rd next sched.

He seems qucker than the Lead group if you replay the last 36 hrs of drag racing

Getting’ intah the groove…

JJlMuLh.jpg

Seems that Cap’n Riou has now set-up to be in pouncing distance of BP… As to the clump for 3rd sooner or later that must break out?!? Hugo Boss still the contender black horse on the inside track… what larks.

The erratic’s nearer North Africa…well seems Team Ireland has an adage to local sight-seeing and does indeed have a cunning plan.

:o

I think he intends to have the `luck of the Irish'

1100 Sched... Alex up to 6.

Would not be surprised to see him in 3rd next sched.

He seems qucker than the Lead group if you replay the last 36 hrs of drag racing

HB was fastest over the last 24 hours. PRB was second fastest.

Awesome race so far. But re Alex's much maligned decision to jibe east. Given my risk-seeking personality, and all the meteo data available at that time, I might/likely would have made the same decision. At the time, given BOTH GFS and ECWMF meteo predictions, it looked like he would have a chance to get far enough southeast to beat the high pressure ridge and escape to leave the rest of the fleet in the dust. Had it worked, it would have been bye-bye to the fleet. Unfortunately, once he committed, the predictions quickly converged to saying that the ridge would move south too fast for anybody to outrun it so it was restart time... At that point it was sail shortest route time, and BP was perfectly positioned, He had also timed his jibe for maximum strategic advantage by doing it between longest positions updates. Maybe he could have bailed sooner, when he noticed nobody followed and the window had slammed shut, but I still think he panicked too soon by deciding to consolidate the loss on a horrible angle to get west. I would have kept the faith and stuck with it a bit longer in the east as all predictions had better wind speed to the east and looking farther south the St Helena high in the southern hemisphere does not seem to be cooperating with the typical westerly route around the high. Given current predictions, the back markers might actually have and advantage as there is no path south around the bottom of the high only an upwind slog to Cape of Good Hope. What??? Weird. It might turn out that being too far west is not good given that the doldrums seem to be shrinking and a more easterly crossing than normal is looking good. What? I'm following this obsessively and I"m pissed off they are keeping me to such miserly updates. I need some love given recent US election results...

Today in one of the greatest German newspapers I read that Boris Hermann bought one of the 2015 foilers to do the next round. Anybody know which one? BP?

Today in one of the greatest German newspapers I read that Boris Hermann bought one of the 2015 foilers to do the next round. Anybody know which one? BP?

BP has already been sold.

Awesome race so far.

But re Alex's much maligned decision to jibe east. Given my risk-seeking personality, and all the meteo data available at that time, I might/likely would have made the same decision. At the time, given BOTH GFS and ECWMF meteo predictions, it looked like he would have a chance to get far enough southeast to beat the high pressure ridge and escape to leave the rest of the fleet in the dust. Had it worked, it would have been bye-bye to the fleet. Unfortunately, once he committed, the predictions quickly converged to saying that the ridge would move south too fast for anybody to outrun it so it was restart time...

I need some love given recent US election results...

Yep, thats how it went. Good write up.

I wish they would do some English audio "vacations" with some of the French guys. Many of them speak very good English so it wouldn't be so much of a pain. I guess we might get some from Tanguy at some point.

Forecast seems to show staying east should pay for the next little while although there's not much leverage in the fleet except for the Irish geezer (and that seems to be paying for him I guess?). O'Coineen's gonna have to gybe his ass off over the next day or so as he's going to have some strong breeze right up his chuff.

Re Flyers: there is a time for them even if you have a fast boat. Last VG Alex took an awesome one in the Indian Ocean; the ice restrictions make the Southern Ocena far more tactical than it used to be. Also how you play the S. Atlantic high going down to the SO can also be interesting depending on where it is.

Why does anyone (everyone?!) think that Hugo Boss is the fastest boat in the fleet? Is this actually based on any facts?

I have heard suggestions from people closer to the action than I am that suggest the opposite.

I wish they would do some English audio "vacations" with some of the French guys. Many of them speak very good English so it wouldn't be so much of a pain. I guess we might get some from Tanguy at some point.

I seriously doubt that we get something from him, Initiatives Coeur is a program that shuns English like the plague. Case in point the doublehanded races with Sam Davies, would have been trivial to add a little bit of EN content and gain a huge international following. Esp. after the VOR & SCA.

The utterly frustrating part is that as far as I can tell Tanguy happens to be the best English speaker of all the French skippers...

Ok, Sebastien beats him, but that's cheating.

Why does anyone (everyone?!) think that Hugo Boss is the fastest boat in the fleet? Is this actually based on any facts?

I have heard suggestions from people closer to the action than I am that suggest the opposite.

HB was very quick on the NY-Vendee race until the pilot failed.

He has had teething problems, including a much publicised boards failure.

These two things, plus the fact he never trains with another boat means that you tend to get polar opposite opinions on both Alex and the boat.

He seems to have very good boat speed at the moment, but has been both furthest East and furthest West in the fleet and we are only 1 week in, generally not a good sign in terms of wind strategy. Long way to go yet, so he may become navigationally more conservative as the weeks roll on.

It seems that the fleet has established its tiers pretty clearly now... Anything about this list likely to change aside from breakage / injury impacts?

Tier 1 - Contenders:

- Le Cleac'h (BP)

- Riou (PRB)

- Lagraviere (Safran)

- Beyou (Maitre CoQ)

- Meilhat (SMA)

- Thomson (HB)

- Josse (EdR)

Seven boats in Tier 1, with two of them trying to break off the front to establish themselves as the only true Tier 1.

Tier 2: Boats racing hard, but not contenders. Will pick up scraps when Tier 1 boats break. Could get on the podium that way.

- Espoir (Queguiner)

- Ruyant (LSdNplPI)

- Le Cam (FMV)

- de Lamotte (IC)

- Dick (SMV)

- De Pavant (BO). He's actually in the no-man's land between Tiers 2 and 3. Not clear yet which tier he's in.

So... That's 5 or 6 boats racing each other hard for position, waiting to see what develops ahead of them.

Tier 3: Guys sailing for the experience and/or for a cause, who will race each other for position but not push it.

- This is everyone but Tiers 1, 2, and 4. So... 11 or 12 boats depending on De Pavant.

Tier 4: Guys sailing around the world without concern for finishing position, content to let Tier 3 get away.

- Heerema (NWB)

- Roura (LF)

- Bellion

- Destremau

Feel free to say so if you think a Tier 3 guy is actually Tier 4 and will drop back later... or if a Tier 4 guys is actually Tier 3 and has just had a poor start, etc. My reason for feeling there's already a distinction between the two tiers is because the ones I've listed in Tier 3 are in a pack (aside from O'Coineen) while those in Tier 4 haven't been able to stay with the pack.

My question, then, is... If Costa was with the fleet, which tier would he be in? I'm guessing Tier 3, or was he a Tier 2 guy? This should give us an idea of how many boats he can target to eventually pass. He has a huge deficit, but there's a long way to go, and he should have plenty of time to catch guys who aren't pushing.

I see Costa, Conrad, Roura an a few others in the aspiring IMOCA pro sailor category.

Get around, show that you can push within the limits of your boat, above all make the finish.

They are young and found, begged, borrowed and stole the money for an old boat. They made the start happen against all odds and problems including the VG organizers.

If they make the finish they should have a good chance at doing at again, this time for money. Esp. if the big names in the background think that they were slowed down by their old boat, not the other way around.

Costa and Conrad finished in the last BWR which is nothing to sneeze at.

Roura is so young that his result and even finishing does not really matter. If he likes this he can go again and still be under 30. Or writing that maybe a stint in the VOR? Learning the relentless push a VOR crew has to deliver.

Oh, and guess who is back in 3rd position. Alex "most distance over ground" Thomson.

Place Name Distance Speed

3 HB 1747nm 14.4kts
1 BP8 1720nm 14.2kts
2 PRB 1690nm 13.9kts

I knwo. But to whom?

Place Name Distance Speed

3 HB 1747nm 14.4kts

1 BP8 1720nm 14.2kts

2 PRB 1690nm 13.9kts

Where did you take this? Official site gives distance calculated from position not the actually covered distance.

Good to know that HB has been 0.2knts faster so far. But is it the fastest boat?

I knwo. But to whom?

Louis Burton

The designers of all the foilers seem to believe this to be true.

It seems that the fleet has established its tiers pretty clearly now... Anything about this list likely to change aside from breakage / injury impacts?

Tier 1 - Contenders:

- Le Cleac'h (BP)

- Riou (PRB)

- Lagraviere (Safran)

- Beyou (Maitre CoQ)

- Meilhat (SMA)

- Thomson (HB)

- Josse (EdR)

Seven boats in Tier 1, with two of them trying to break off the front to establish themselves as the only true Tier 1.

Tier 2: Boats racing hard, but not contenders. Will pick up scraps when Tier 1 boats break. Could get on the podium that way.

- Espoir (Queguiner)

- Ruyant (LSdNplPI)

- Le Cam (FMV)

- de Lamotte (IC)

- Dick (SMV)

- De Pavant (BO). He's actually in the no-man's land between Tiers 2 and 3. Not clear yet which tier he's in.

So... That's 5 or 6 boats racing each other hard for position, waiting to see what develops ahead of them.

Tier 3: Guys sailing for the experience and/or for a cause, who will race each other for position but not push it.

- This is everyone but Tiers 1, 2, and 4. So... 11 or 12 boats depending on De Pavant.

Tier 4: Guys sailing around the world without concern for finishing position, content to let Tier 3 get away.

- Heerema (NWB)

- Roura (LF)

- Bellion

- Destremau

Feel free to say so if you think a Tier 3 guy is actually Tier 4 and will drop back later... or if a Tier 4 guys is actually Tier 3 and has just had a poor start, etc. My reason for feeling there's already a distinction between the two tiers is because the ones I've listed in Tier 3 are in a pack (aside from O'Coineen) while those in Tier 4 haven't been able to stay with the pack.

My question, then, is... If Costa was with the fleet, which tier would he be in? I'm guessing Tier 3, or was he a Tier 2 guy? This should give us an idea of how many boats he can target to eventually pass. He has a huge deficit, but there's a long way to go, and he should have plenty of time to catch guys who aren't pushing.

Queguiner and Virbac should be in Tier 1, so don't be surprised if they separate from Tier 2 and end up in no mans land in between.

Funny that Riou says Armel must be driving a lot by the way he accelerates (they can see each other). Then in the same report Armel says he hasn't been driving much, just trimming...

Loving that PRB is hanging on to BP. If this is the boat speed difference then the real difference will be boat/body management and tactics, not raw boat speed.

HB is a unknown quantity to the French and that scares them. Most of the French boats trained out of Brest and Port Le Foret to get the bay weather systems and seas , HB did not? I still do not no why ? but it looks like its about to pay off if HB can finish and that is the hard one to do. Time will tell.

Vincent Riou is doing a remarkable job keeping pace. I wonder how much longer he can keep it up? His one gamble now is that BP's foil is taken out and that the Dark Horse behind him takes another flyer off into the unknown.

I'm not surprised that Alex Thompson has gained. But I'm a little surprised HB is performing so well in the mid to light stuff. HB looks to me (pure instinct) to be the most powerful boat, a heavy air specialist. But given the gains, she may be an all-rounder and a definite threat to the French boats.

HB certainly does seem to be showing legs relative to the other foilers right now. If Alex can keep his head straight.............

Better pressure always helps too!

Vincent Riou is doing a remarkable job keeping pace. I wonder how much longer he can keep it up? His one gamble now is that BP's foil is taken out and that the Dark Horse behind him takes another flyer off into the unknown.

+1 He's doing remarkably well against the new generation boats.

HB is a flyer alright. Let's hope Alex doesn't self-destruct. He's still got 40,000 kms to sail, so no need to go for broke just yet. He's still well in contention.

Do not forget Meihat SMA, he is hanging in the second group of foilers as Riou/PRB is with leCleach/Banq Pop

And that is since Finesterre Spain for Meihat.

They have done now 25 Lat degrees, half of Northern Atlantic.With not really much upwind work.

J-PD on StV is a surprise to me. He's seems well off the pace. Any problems reported?

AT seemed to have enough realization that his early flyer was an error and it seems like he has the pace to grind his way back to the front, I think he is smart enough to become more conservative. I think he probably does need to push some though. Seems to me that you have to get into the south on the same weather system as the leader to have a real chance.

Just in HB 5.1 miles closer to BP.

20nm further than BP over the last 24 hours.

When watching the "web TV" feed I see video of the boats sailing. How old is that video? I'm assuming that it is from training before the start? Who knows?

Vincent is sailing an incredible race. He really knows how to squeeze every last percentage out of his boat. It's great to watch.

With the boundaries in the South, is this race all about the N/S Atlantic now? Anyone with an inside view on this?

HB is a unknown quantity to the French and that scares them. Most of the French boats trained out of Brest and Port Le Foret to get the bay weather systems and seas , HB did not? I still do not no why ? but it looks like its about to pay off if HB can finish and that is the hard one to do. Time will tell.

The french boats train out of france, where they and their sponsors are from, and HB sails out of GB where his team is, and spends a good amount of time each year with a boat in Germany, where his sponsor is. HB had 2 boats for quite a while, a race boat and a promotional boat, but sold them all before/while building the new one, so he took the new boat to Germany on at least one occasion I know of.

Vincent is sailing an incredible race. He really knows how to squeeze every last percentage out of his boat. It's great to watch.

With the boundaries in the South, is this race all about the N/S Atlantic now? Anyone with an inside view on this?

You can almost imagine that if he had opted for foils he would be leading this race right now.

Edna cracks me up. In every Vendee there's a character who is out there for the pure pleasure of it. Rounds out all the seriousness of pure racing. One reason why this race is still a great ocean race.

Just in HB 5.1 miles closer to BP.

20nm further than BP over the last 24 hours.

It appears in trade wind conditions that Hugo boss is 5% faster than the rest of the fleet...

What we didn't see in the lighter stuff is the non-foilers having a clear advantage.

#1485 Comedy school should be compulsory for everyone in the race

#1486 Yea HB's speed is impressive. wonder if Alex is pushing it like a mofo or if it actually is that much faster

Why does Dailymotion post 15 versions of the same video. One of them is in English. Are they all different languages? If so, how do know which is which?