Sure looking good for Josse for the next 48 hrs: His very own private train.

That should be enough to hold off ALC.

In your dreams, ALC is just covering HB, getting more rest, less stress on the boat.

Look at the moment he hunted for HB, that settled it for me, he is covering and waiting...

At the moment its not an advantage to get a small advance, lows coming up from the back.

My money is on ALC.

I read it the same exact way. Thomson is all about taking it when can get it, ALC prioritizes patience, he lives for tomorrow. look at the heli footage, ALC had to know his sail plan was on the conservative side, Thomson was flogging the shit out his boat. with a busted foil, he knows he has to.

If I were in ALC's position I would be trying to get a decent advantage over AT to carry into the S Atlantic. The number of boats damaged by impacts in that area is too high to trust that being in contact and having undamaged foils at Cape Horn will be any type of guarantee of a win.

Sure he does not want to break the boat by being too aggressive, but I am sure that he would be MUCH happier if he could break away from HB.

It is a great race to watch.

And look at the 2 beauties barreling down on the fleet behind that: one on each side of the Kerguelen 2 days from now, 45-50 kt winds.

The sailor who has the quicker boat would be wise to cover his slower opponent so that there can be no tactical/strategic leverage if there was greater separation between the two.

I think covering each other is only a short term tactical play in this race. The big strategic plays are what are going to win you the race and in the Southern ocean that means putting yourself in front of a weather system, picking it up and staying with it as long as possible. The big gaps come when one boat stays with a system and another falls off the back of it. So while it sometimes looks like they are covering, they are probably both just making the same call on the weather.

The pressure they are both currently in is not very strong and they both look to be on the back of it and travelling slower than the system. So currently they both look at risk of falling off the back of it and EDR may take some huge chunks out of them both. It may soon be a 3 boat race again as EDR is doing 20+ and on the front of the next strong system, compared to HB/BP doing 15- on the back of a weak system!

It is now that the risk of minor mishaps can be inflated. A kicked up rudder that results in the loss of 10 to 20 miles may be enough to make you fall off the back and then lose 100s. So BP and HB will both be going close to maximum at the moment.

cheers

PS. Having met and sailed with AT (many years ago), I'm hoping he wins, but the only boat that deserves to win it is the first one home!

With Beyou and Meilhat heading North, Elies could have an interesting opportunity to split down toward Kerguelen and the ice line. Looks like an opportunity for gains, if the conditions don't get too brutal down there.

Is Costa in the process of missing the train?

Seeing how much HB is healing while on port tack, why not extend the windward foil just to increase his righting moment?

So at the last sched, Bp is now holding on, but the winds favor HB for he next 8-12 hrs. HB comes into light in a few hours and he has the chance to press more sail and start to use that SW pressure to extent if he can.

The tracker is amazing, but it extends past the ice (sorry Jack Sparrow) limit so hard use it when they have to bounce off it. From now to 12 hrs+ we get to see two foiling boats drag race along the frozen water limit (is that okay Jack?) and I'm thinking AT will shift gears and try to extend while he has the pressure on the correct side.

So at the last sched, Bp is now holding on, but the winds favor HB for he next 8-12 hrs. HB comes into light in a few hours and he has the chance to press more sail and start to use that SW pressure to extent if he can.

The tracker is amazing, but it extends past the ice (sorry Jack Sparrow) limit so hard use it when they have to bounce off it. From now to 12 hrs+ we get to see two foiling boats drag race along the frozen water limit (is that okay Jack?) and I'm thinking AT will shift gears and try to extend while he has the pressure on the correct side.

The tracker only extends the projected course along the last reported heading. AT and ALC will be gybing before that line. YOU have to guesstimate when! Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to figure out when they have to gybe.

This message will destruct in 5 seconds!

Or not!

The tracker only extends the projected course along the last reported heading. AT and ALC will be gybing before that line. YOU have to guesstimate when! Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to figure out when they have to gybe.

This message will destruct in 5 seconds!

Or not!

The little ruler tool comes in handy.

I cant help that BP is just hanging around and HB is being pushed hard.

Would love to see Alex stay in touch but really cant see it happening....

Seb has a great run coming up according to the tracker.

When both boats are sailed equally hard, HB has a bit of a speed advantage on stbd tack. On port tack BP has an edge, but if AT pushes a little harder than ALC then it appears he doesn't lose too much ground.

That should be enough to hold off ALC.

In your dreams, ALC is just covering HB, getting more rest, less stress on the boat.

Look at the moment he hunted for HB, that settled it for me, he is covering and waiting...

At the moment its not an advantage to get a small advance, lows coming up from the back.

My money is on ALC.

The Jackel.

[ProtectNuts]punch[/ProtectNuts]

One boat can only run, let's say 75%. The other is 100%. The fact they are this close to each other says...........nothing at all. These blokes are sailing their races full out against each other and the rest of the fleet. We are mere observers, with no actual experience of what it takes to single hand around the world (Haji excepted).

Alex has a 13nm lead over ALC and about 34nm to the exclusion zone. Will he take it to the edge, before gybing?

Alex is doing a fantastic job, but it has to be advantage to Le Cleach for now. A lot of the road past Cape Horn will be upwind or close hauled. Alex’s boat may have a small advantage on one tack, but is lacking in righting moment and missing a vertical lifting surface on the other tack. So hard to see how he is going to compensate for that by sheer bloody mindedness. Both have an equal chance of hitting a UFO un their way to France, hope neither does.

Will be interesting see how much more Seb Josse can nibble of his deficient. I guess a good 100 miles, it would be nice for the race if it was more than that.

Hope the whole fleet is ready for the wind to come. I am a bit worried for some of the lower budget campaigns that have not had a big shake down yet.

Anyhow, I also wonder how often the gods take a peak at this thread and then have a healthy laugh at our predictions … J.

Nandor's had a strong 24hr run with 405nm. There's life in the old codger yet!

Where have I been? Future IMOCA? Rules for fools.

like the Mini Arkema

dbc836517969344.jpg a78d78517969347.jpg 20393e517969352.jpg

Interesting. I wonder if the AoA can be altered/rotated on those Dali foils. Looks like maybe they can. Do the Mini allow this?

Record pace? Last 4 hrs would see 545 if maintained.

Be good to see him get into the same weather as BP/HB

Where have I been? Future IMOCA? Rules for fools.

like the Mini Arkema

Interesting. I wonder if the AoA can be altered/rotated on those Dali foils. Looks like maybe they can. Do the Mini allow this?

For next year, yes. There is a wingspan limit of 6.5m

Alex is doing a fantastic job, but it has to be advantage to Le Cleach for now. A lot of the road past Cape Horn will be upwind or close hauled. Alex’s boat may have a small advantage on one tack, but is lacking in righting moment and missing a vertical lifting surface on the other tack. So hard to see how he is going to compensate for that by sheer bloody mindedness. Both have an equal chance of hitting a UFO un their way to France, hope neither does.

Will be interesting see how much more Seb Josse can nibble of his deficient. I guess a good 100 miles, it would be nice for the race if it was more than that.

Hope the whole fleet is ready for the wind to come. I am a bit worried for some of the lower budget campaigns that have not had a big shake down yet.

Anyhow, I also wonder how often the gods take a peak at this thread and then have a healthy laugh at our predictions … J.

The Gods

When both boats are sailed equally hard, HB has a bit of a speed advantage on stbd tack. On port tack BP has an edge, but if AT pushes a little harder than ALC then it appears he doesn't lose too much ground.

There is no evidence of that yet, the footage everyone goes on about was with Alex without his starboard foil so off course the boat heels more and it looks like Alex is pushing harder. Maybe he is, maybe not the reality is we don't know as we are not on the boats. They are 40% through the race with 60% to go, Alex has done an amazing job so far and perhaps he has luck on his side. A major breakage to one of these boats may decide who wins?

2 gybes by AT. Obviously keen to stick to the ice limits. I was wondering whether just sailing deep parallel to the limits may have been an option but it looks like polar as are still king.

Did anyone else see the helo vid of Beyou? Looks like hes got his gennaker stuck. Its furled but he needs to go up the mast to get it down. This explains why hes heading a bit more north as he wants to avoid that big depression heading in. Plus he has lost his "fleet" (not sure what this is) but from what i gather is where he gets his weather information.

Fuck bucc... for a man who said 2 weeks ago that he had no idea what an IMOCA 60 was and admitted he has never ventured outside the sight of land...you sure are suddenly a fuckin font of information and analysis.. aren't you...take a break typing son is my suggestion....you may learn something by listening.

Did anyone else see the helo vid of Beyou? Looks like hes got his gennaker stuck. Its furled but he needs to go up the mast to get it down. This explains why hes heading a bit more north as he wants to avoid that big depression heading in. Plus he has lost his "fleet" (not sure what this is) but from what i gather is where he gets his weather information.

Unfortunately Jeremie can't win a trick this race..it has gone to shit for him in the gear department big time.... damm shame as I fancied both he and that Frankenboat chances.

Southern Cross - The scow nose! I remember learning to sail in a scow moth as a kid. It had a wide square nose.

It (your pic) does make sense with a boat heeling 20-40 degrees, which these boats do. It would give heaps of buoyancy up front where needed with little drag penalty. It would give much greater pitch force resistance. Did Yves Palier come up with that?

The reverse L foil - not so good. The foils on HB are pretty much the ducks nuz for lift x leeway resisance x righting moment. Better than the dali foils too. I can explain via diagram if you like.

That brought back some memories. I raced a little on the old wooden Moths on Sydney Harbour as a kid as well.

Actually Mini has always been more advanced developing platform than IMOCA. Dali mustaches were first tested on Mini. On IMOCA you are only allowed to cant the keel but on Mini you can move it up and down, forward and aft. You are even allowed to cant the mast...

I think for safety purposes all appendixes should have freedom to move or rotate backwards to minimize damage in case of collision. And to make this attractive for teams it should be allowed to use this directions as one additional degree of freedom. So, they can add T foil at the end of rudders and balance the drag and uplift. Regulate the amount of side-force with foils and the center of mass by keel.

Thanks SC, forgot about the ruler.

Playing the guessing game, it looks like both top boats are in for a workout today. Both are gybing with legs between 25 and 30 miles and projecting out for even 6 hours, the wind direction does not change. It's like a slow motion gybing duel. Who makes the least mistakes wins, but can only imagine AT has to be frustrated getting put back on port so often since he then has to switch sailing styles.

Imagine, he has to go from a foiling set up on the boat to a non-foiling set up for each of these gybes. If he can hold off BP, Armel might need to be worried once in the Atlantic for Alex with a lead making the big left turn will be hard to beat; assuming either one of them have any strength left after banging their heads on an imaginary line for hours and hours.

In Conrad's latest Podcast he discusses his electric motor (ATW, without burning any fossil fuels) and shares his excitement about going fast again:

https://soundcloud.com/user-173444420/oceanic-podcast-2

This guy's certainly giving his sponsors value for money... podcasts, blogs, "vacations" in French and English. Quality

Tend to agree. Whoever blinks first. But if the Gods allow and Alex wins, it will have been an epic battle.

I think it is an epic battle, no matter who wins:-) Fantastic contrasts between sailors (country, personality) and boats (design, damage). What more could we want. There is no shame in finishing second in such a contest,

Watching the southern ocean footage again and again has got me thinking - was HB put on it's ear on purpose to show off the BOSS logo on the hull? sharing a similar patch of water to ALC, but seems to be heading at a higher angle, which as the tracker shows, was not something he was doing for long.

INteresting boat, from hunting pirates now to guard Imoca's.

Range of 10.000 miles, they can stay a long time out there.

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niv%C3%B4se_(fr%C3%A9gate)

Good pick Leo, only 2000 miles from refuelling and... where this is is where the deep-sea-fishing pirate long-liners are !!

According to the VG website yesterday

CLS installed a radar system in the Kerguelen Islands in 2004 to combat illegal fishing. This system was operated by CLS on behalf of the CROSS Réunion (Regional Operational Surveillance and Rescue Center) to eradicate illegal fishing in this region of the Indian Ocean. Today, scientists and French fishermen, confirm that the stock regenerates.

Unique in France, VIGISAT is a CLS station for acquisition of radar satellite images. It has processed almost 100,000 images for environmental surveillance and maritime safety missions since its creation. Based in Brest, VIGISAT can rely on the academic and scientific excellence of Télécom Bretagne, a renowned engineering school in the field of information science and technology and a long-time partner of CLS. Each year, Telecom Bretagne trains engineers, that are experts in radar images and thanks to the innovation of its researchers, they try to challenge the limits of satellites radar images.

As you are interested Herman,

CROSS should actually be translated into MRCC, makes it much clearer for english speakers ;)

What is the penalty if they cross over that ice line?

discussed a day or 2 back. Have to cross back at the point of entry.

Sodomy and the lash, no rum!

Latest Sched BP only at 10kts Fallen off front?

The both have, but Armel looks like he is setting up to gybe. Alex's track shows quicker gybes, but no idea how accurate those tracks are.

Mark Turner in today's Live said Alex might push Armel into a mistake, to be the crazy one. Maybe the tracks show Armel being extra careful not to make a mistake.

In Conrad's latest Podcast he discusses his electric motor (ATW, without burning any fossil fuels) and shares his excitement about going fast again:

https://soundcloud.com/user-173444420/oceanic-podcast-2

This guy's certainly giving his sponsors value for money... podcasts, blogs, "vacations" in French and English. Quality

Yes indeed. That podcast raised the bar on infomercials. And he provides aerial drone footage, underwater dive shots, and writing better than many OBRs. Smart cookie. Oh, and while doing all that, he's worked ahead of competitors with arguably faster boats, so looks like a decent racer too. Glad he gave up on sock puppets and hope he doesn't try cartoons in "this crazy nautical circus" .

"Yes sir, I was the ring leader of this crazy nautical circus but it only took one small oversight to remind me that next to the power of the boat, I am just a monkey on a clown bike."

http://www.conradcolman.com/single-post/2016/11/12/Update-day-7-sails-misadventures

Almost forgot. Happy birthday Conrad. Nice job on today's Live.

Record pace? Last 4 hrs would see 545 if maintained.

Be good to see him get into the same weather as BP/HB

Looks like the grib gods denied him his chance when he went north and the front slid south.

Maybe JP Dick will have a shot today:

"C'est une journée exceptionnelle pr battre le record de distance parcourue en 24h de @francoisgabart" @VendeeGlobe http://bit.ly/2gHitiz

Translated from French by BingWrong translation?

"It's a day exceptional pr beat the record for distance covered in 24 hours of @francoisgabart" @VendeeGlobe http://bit.ly/2gHitiz

These new real time views of the boats actually racing are great - picking up stuff not seen before. HB & Gitana have canvas closing off the back of the hard dodgers, Alex having a full top to bottom set up that he takes time to zip fully closed before his performance for the helo. Josse has a half height screen across the bottom. Can't see if they are sealed across the bottom to really keep water out.

discussed a day or 2 back. Have to cross back at the point of entry.

Thanks!

Is Tanguy saying the damage to his mast happened before his departure?

Vendée Globe@VendeeGlobe 6h

.@TanguyDeLamotte : "Les avaries on y pense forcément avant le départ. Il n'y a pas de justice, ça tombe comme ça" #VendeeLive #VG2016

. @TanguyDeLamotte: "The damage we think necessarily prior to departure. There is no justice, just like that" #VendeeLive #VG2016

Watching the southern ocean footage again and again has got me thinking - was HB put on it's ear on purpose to show off the BOSS logo on the hull? sharing a similar patch of water to ALC, but seems to be heading at a higher angle, which as the tracker shows, was not something he was doing for long.

The heeling might be caused by the helicopter rotor down-wash. It creates a lot of wind that travels low above the surface but upper layers are not affected that much. This tricks the auto pilot a bit as the wind is not measured correctly and the wind shift stays undetected. Not much is needed as Alex already had to keep the cheek deep in the water.

Is Tanguy saying the damage to his mast happened before his departure?

Vendée Globe@VendeeGlobe 6h

.@TanguyDeLamotte : "Les avaries on y pense forcément avant le départ. Il n'y a pas de justice, ça tombe comme ça" #VendeeLive #VG2016

. @TanguyDeLamotte: "The damage we think necessarily prior to departure. There is no justice, just like that" #VendeeLive #VG2016

No, he is just saying that one thinks of possible technical failures that can happen before the start, but when it happens, it just happens.

I would say that the correct translation is:

"Of course we think about possible damages prior to departure."

The meaning being that they are aware of the possibility, but it's just not fair.

These new real time views of the boats actually racing are great - picking up stuff not seen before. HB & Gitana have canvas closing off the back of the hard dodgers, Alex having a full top to bottom set up that he takes time to zip fully closed before his performance for the helo. Josse has a half height screen across the bottom. Can't see if they are sealed across the bottom to really keep water out.

I think I saw from some earlier video that Alex didn't have it from top to bottom. It ended on same height where the mainsheet traveler is...

I found it:

https://youtu.be/Z8xSUVIZ_xI?t=45

I would say that the correct translation is:

"Of course we think about possible damages prior to departure."

The meaning being that they are aware of the possibility, but it's just not fair.

Ah! That makes so much more sense. Cheers to you and yl75

YE didn't cross -- that is the optimum route line pictured above. But, Check out where JPD is on the latest sched.

Beyou is now using Meilhat as his beacon routing reference, more or less (he cannot get gribs anymore), plus his code 0 hook is blocked, has to go up the mast.

I wonder whether they talk to each other on the VHF or not

Considering how well JPD did in the last Vendee, it's a bit of a shame to see him so deep in the pack this go-around.

As I write this he's 15nm downwind of his entry point into the exclusion zone. That's gotta hurt.

Shoulda bought an electric dog collar!

I hope Elies didn't actually cross the line

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-12-02 at 11.14.27 AM.png

You mean JPD.

He seems to have crossed the line.

44°31.71'S

Is shown on the official ranking.

The AEZ is at 44°30.

So long for the 24-hour record.

He still can beat the record, but will be difficult to catch up with Eliès after going back to exit the AEZ.

You mean JPD.

44°31.71'S

The AEZ is at 44°30.

Yeah, I'd edited that before you posted. What a miserable way to end that run for the 24 and all his efforts.

I'm afraid you're right he is below the limit. His position (44°31.71'S 46°53.07'E) looks to be between points 10 and 11 of the AEZ (amendment 7) which are:

10 (44°30.00'S 045°00.00'E)

11 (44°30.00'S 050°00.00'E )

Merde. Hopes that it's a tracker or data conversion problem seem to be slipping.

Beyou is now using Meilhat as his beacon routing reference, more or less (he cannot get gribs anymore), plus his code 0 hook is blocked, has to go up the mast.

I wonder whether they talk to each other on the VHF or not

No mast trip, he solved the hook lock of C0.

jpd just on limit line according to geovoile tracker. Maybe due to mercator projection ?

post-188-0-02534100-1480701807_thumb.gif

jpd just on limit line according to geovoile tracker. Maybe due to mercator projection ?

attachicon.gifNaamloos.gif

I checked that (and volodia's), but when zoomed right in on the official tracker with the grid turned on, still showed him slightly below.

attachicon.gifNaamloos.gif

Is this going to be a question of how close one zooms?!!

Hahah. Wouter was just talking about charts again. #2500

Vendee tracker 3d

post-188-0-26195900-1480702303_thumb.gif

So does not look really good with the 31,71South.

Watching to see how SMA and Maitre Coq use the low barreling down them.

It's been busy up front.

post-76289-0-93708400-1480703141_thumb.png

You mean JPD.

44°31.71'S

The AEZ is at 44°30.

Yeah, I'd edited that before you posted. What a miserable way to end that run for the 24 and all his efforts.

I'm afraid you're right he is below the limit. His position (44°31.71'S 46°53.07'E) looks to be between points 10 and 11 of the AEZ (amendment 7) which are:

10 (44°30.00'S 045°00.00'E)

11 (44°30.00'S 050°00.00'E )

Merde. Hopes that it's a tracker or data conversion problem seem to be slipping.

It would be too much for a measurement error. He is almost 2 nautical miles south of the AEZ line.

Anyway, he has to turn around ASAP, and round his entry point from the West.

"A boat that is racing shall not enter the AEZ. A boat that does enter the AEZ shall

correct her breach by the following method. The point at which she entered the AEZ
shall become an extra waypoint in the AEZ for that boat which she shall leave to
starboard as soon as reasonably possible.

"

Looks like BP and HB going to be pinched between the AEZ line and the low wind area to their NNW? They can't really go north too far or they loose wind speed sooner. EDR has a chance to make gains on them in the next 12 hours I think

It's been busy up front.

It can't be underestimated how much work this is especially for HB.

Not looking good for JPD with the AEZ hit.

Lets hope that Alex does not find a similar problem while he is banging against the corner of the track. Looks like he and Armel still have a few more gybes to do, must be very easy to get tired and oversleep.

It's been busy up front.

Interesting thing is Alex extended his lead over ALC during all those gybes too. It must be bloody exhausting!

What do you make of this? Coincidence that the ice limits correspond to the line of low pressure (for the most part)?

post-81201-0-74024200-1480703809_thumb.jpg

Anybody got a video of all they have to go through for each jibe? I'd love to see the process form beginning to end.

Vendee Globe TV YouTube Thomas Ruyant.

What do you make of this? Coincidence that the ice limits correspond to the line of low pressure (for the most part)?

I've been watching the pressure lines for a few days now--they line up pretty well with the cloud cover too. The leaders looked that they were sailing along the boundary, which made me wonder if they were getting their heads out of the boat and using their eyeballs. :)

The ocean currents are interesting too. Was just checking to see if they were affecting Armel's nearness to the line and the drift was giving him a scare.

It's been busy up front.

What I find fascinating is the consistency of ATs gybes. He is either on a timer or distance alarm, because he's kept between 23-27 miles per tack. I noticed BP straight lined for almost 5 miles dead down wind from the looks of the gis tracker. That seemed ...odd. I cannot imagine any of these guys taking a nap on a southern heading being this close to the line. So far this race is looking more like a OD match/fleet race amongst different levels of experience.

If he keeps up the pace he'll have maybe ten more gybes before the winds looks to shift enough to extend a starboard tack. How deep can he take it I wonder.

Latest Sched BP only at 10kts Fallen off front?

The both have, but Armel looks like he is setting up to gybe. Alex's track shows quicker gybes, but no idea how accurate those tracks are.

Mark in today's Live said Alex might push Armel into a mistake, to be the crazy one. Maybe the tracks show Armel being extra careful not to make a mistake.

Just measured how close Armel is to the ice limits in the last sched, it's 1 mile. Alex is a lot further away. So I would think vice-versa.

by vice versa you mean Armel is pushing Alex? Alex's track seems more "defined"; Armel's less decisive. Anyway, thanks for the tip about how close Armel went to the limits.

Poor JPD forgot to update AEZ :(

This area where he crossed the line have changed 3 times.

(Also I noticed that they have updated AEZ yesterday, I haven't changed it on map yet)

http://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/skippers-area/official-notice-board

Amendements - Sailing Instructions

Good point. Wouter -- zooming, JPD -- updating.

So much for the Australian waypoints being unchangeable.

Oh . . he should have acknowledged the updates. SI 8.4

8.4 Each competitor shall acknowledge the receipt of each change by sending an e-mail to Race Management.

Can jury notify him that he crossed the line?

If you don't have correct line on PC then you have no idea that you have crossed it.

Outside help?

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Southern Cross" data-cid="5550267" data-time="1480703654"><p><p>Why especially hard for HB?

I've been watching the pressure lines for a few days now--they line up pretty well with the cloud cover too. The leaders looked that they were sailing along the boundary, which made me wonder if they were getting their heads out of the boat and using their eyeballs. :)

The ocean currents are interesting too. Was just checking to see if they were affecting Armel's nearness to the line and the drift was giving him a scare.

I wonder if they can "smell the ice" yet?

The old-timers on the clipper ships apparently reckoned they could smell it. I've never sailed down there, or anywhere near sea ice or burgs, so I wouldn't know.

Any experience of the ice guys?

Can jury notify him that he crossed the line?

If you don't have correct line on PC then you have no idea that you have crossed it.

Outside help?

That is answered in the jury Q&A:

Question 9:

A/ After a boat has entered the AEZ, is the Race Management allowed to tell her?
Answer A: yes
B/ Does this break RRS 41 and the notice of race?
Answer B: No
C/ After a boat has entered the AEZ, is the race management required to tell her?
Answer C: No
Comment from the race management: The race management will endeavour to call the boat as soon as possible.
D/ Is the race management or a team permitted to warn a boat that she is about to enter the AEZ?
Answer D: No
In other news, we are as of yesterday on the 8th amendment to the SI, 5th change to AEZ coordinates.