• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Is Tanguy saying the damage to his mast happened before his departure?

Vendée Globe@VendeeGlobe 6h

.@TanguyDeLamotte : "Les avaries on y pense forcément avant le départ. Il n'y a pas de justice, ça tombe comme ça" #VendeeLive #VG2016

Translated from French by BingWrong translation?

. @TanguyDeLamotte: "The damage we think necessarily prior to departure. There is no justice, just like that" #VendeeLive #VG2016

No, he is just saying that one thinks of possible technical failures that can happen before the start, but when it happens, it just happens.

I would say that the correct translation is:

"Of course we think about possible damages prior to departure."

The meaning being that they are aware of the possibility, but it's just not fair.

These new real time views of the boats actually racing are great - picking up stuff not seen before. HB & Gitana have canvas closing off the back of the hard dodgers, Alex having a full top to bottom set up that he takes time to zip fully closed before his performance for the helo. Josse has a half height screen across the bottom. Can't see if they are sealed across the bottom to really keep water out.

I think I saw from some earlier video that Alex didn't have it from top to bottom. It ended on same height where the mainsheet traveler is...

I found it:

https://youtu.be/Z8xSUVIZ_xI?t=45

I would say that the correct translation is:

"Of course we think about possible damages prior to departure."

The meaning being that they are aware of the possibility, but it's just not fair.

Ah! That makes so much more sense. Cheers to you and yl75

Beyou is now using Meilhat as his beacon routing reference, more or less (he cannot get gribs anymore), plus his code 0 hook is blocked, has to go up the mast.

I wonder whether they talk to each other on the VHF or not

Considering how well JPD did in the last Vendee, it's a bit of a shame to see him so deep in the pack this go-around.

As I write this he's 15nm downwind of his entry point into the exclusion zone. That's gotta hurt.

Shoulda bought an electric dog collar!

I hope Elies didn't actually cross the line

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-12-02 at 11.14.27 AM.png

You mean JPD.

He seems to have crossed the line.

44°31.71'S

Is shown on the official ranking.

The AEZ is at 44°30.

So long for the 24-hour record.

He still can beat the record, but will be difficult to catch up with Eliès after going back to exit the AEZ.

You mean JPD.

44°31.71'S

The AEZ is at 44°30.

Yeah, I'd edited that before you posted. What a miserable way to end that run for the 24 and all his efforts.

I'm afraid you're right he is below the limit. His position (44°31.71'S 46°53.07'E) looks to be between points 10 and 11 of the AEZ (amendment 7) which are:

10 (44°30.00'S 045°00.00'E)

11 (44°30.00'S 050°00.00'E )

Merde. Hopes that it's a tracker or data conversion problem seem to be slipping.

Beyou is now using Meilhat as his beacon routing reference, more or less (he cannot get gribs anymore), plus his code 0 hook is blocked, has to go up the mast.

I wonder whether they talk to each other on the VHF or not

No mast trip, he solved the hook lock of C0.

jpd just on limit line according to geovoile tracker. Maybe due to mercator projection ?

attachicon.gifNaamloos.gif

I checked that (and volodia's), but when zoomed right in on the official tracker with the grid turned on, still showed him slightly below.

jpd just on limit line according to geovoile tracker. Maybe due to mercator projection ?

attachicon.gifNaamloos.gif

Is this going to be a question of how close one zooms?!!

Hahah. Wouter was just talking about charts again. #2500

Latest Sched BP only at 10kts Fallen off front?

The both have, but Armel looks like he is setting up to gybe. Alex's track shows quicker gybes, but no idea how accurate those tracks are.

Mark in today's Live said Alex might push Armel into a mistake, to be the crazy one. Maybe the tracks show Armel being extra careful not to make a mistake.

Just measured how close Armel is to the ice limits in the last sched, it's 1 mile. Alex is a lot further away. So I would think vice-versa.

You mean JPD.

44°31.71'S

The AEZ is at 44°30.

Yeah, I'd edited that before you posted. What a miserable way to end that run for the 24 and all his efforts.

I'm afraid you're right he is below the limit. His position (44°31.71'S 46°53.07'E) looks to be between points 10 and 11 of the AEZ (amendment 7) which are:

10 (44°30.00'S 045°00.00'E)

11 (44°30.00'S 050°00.00'E )

Merde. Hopes that it's a tracker or data conversion problem seem to be slipping.

It would be too much for a measurement error. He is almost 2 nautical miles south of the AEZ line.

Anyway, he has to turn around ASAP, and round his entry point from the West.

"A boat that is racing shall not enter the AEZ. A boat that does enter the AEZ shall

correct her breach by the following method. The point at which she entered the AEZ
shall become an extra waypoint in the AEZ for that boat which she shall leave to
starboard as soon as reasonably possible.

"

Looks like BP and HB going to be pinched between the AEZ line and the low wind area to their NNW? They can't really go north too far or they loose wind speed sooner. EDR has a chance to make gains on them in the next 12 hours I think

Not looking good for JPD with the AEZ hit.

Lets hope that Alex does not find a similar problem while he is banging against the corner of the track. Looks like he and Armel still have a few more gybes to do, must be very easy to get tired and oversleep.

It's been busy up front.

It can't be underestimated how much work this is especially for HB.

Interesting thing is Alex extended his lead over ALC during all those gybes too. It must be bloody exhausting!

Anybody got a video of all they have to go through for each jibe? I'd love to see the process form beginning to end.

Vendee Globe TV YouTube Thomas Ruyant.

What do you make of this? Coincidence that the ice limits correspond to the line of low pressure (for the most part)?

I've been watching the pressure lines for a few days now--they line up pretty well with the cloud cover too. The leaders looked that they were sailing along the boundary, which made me wonder if they were getting their heads out of the boat and using their eyeballs. :)

The ocean currents are interesting too. Was just checking to see if they were affecting Armel's nearness to the line and the drift was giving him a scare.

It's been busy up front.

It can't be underestimated how much work this is especially for HB.

What I find fascinating is the consistency of ATs gybes. He is either on a timer or distance alarm, because he's kept between 23-27 miles per tack. I noticed BP straight lined for almost 5 miles dead down wind from the looks of the gis tracker. That seemed ...odd. I cannot imagine any of these guys taking a nap on a southern heading being this close to the line. So far this race is looking more like a OD match/fleet race amongst different levels of experience.

If he keeps up the pace he'll have maybe ten more gybes before the winds looks to shift enough to extend a starboard tack. How deep can he take it I wonder.

The both have, but Armel looks like he is setting up to gybe. Alex's track shows quicker gybes, but no idea how accurate those tracks are.

Mark in today's Live said Alex might push Armel into a mistake, to be the crazy one. Maybe the tracks show Armel being extra careful not to make a mistake.

Just measured how close Armel is to the ice limits in the last sched, it's 1 mile. Alex is a lot further away. So I would think vice-versa.

by vice versa you mean Armel is pushing Alex? Alex's track seems more "defined"; Armel's less decisive. Anyway, thanks for the tip about how close Armel went to the limits.

Poor JPD forgot to update AEZ :(

This area where he crossed the line have changed 3 times.

(Also I noticed that they have updated AEZ yesterday, I haven't changed it on map yet)

http://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/skippers-area/official-notice-board

Amendements - Sailing Instructions

Good point. Wouter -- zooming, JPD -- updating.

So much for the Australian waypoints being unchangeable.

Oh . . he should have acknowledged the updates. SI 8.4

8.4 Each competitor shall acknowledge the receipt of each change by sending an e-mail to Race Management.

Can jury notify him that he crossed the line?

If you don't have correct line on PC then you have no idea that you have crossed it.

Outside help?

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Southern Cross" data-cid="5550267" data-time="1480703654"><p><p>Why especially hard for HB?

What do you make of this? Coincidence that the ice limits correspond to the line of low pressure (for the most part)?

I've been watching the pressure lines for a few days now--they line up pretty well with the cloud cover too. The leaders looked that they were sailing along the boundary, which made me wonder if they were getting their heads out of the boat and using their eyeballs. :)

The ocean currents are interesting too. Was just checking to see if they were affecting Armel's nearness to the line and the drift was giving him a scare.

I wonder if they can "smell the ice" yet?

The old-timers on the clipper ships apparently reckoned they could smell it. I've never sailed down there, or anywhere near sea ice or burgs, so I wouldn't know.

Any experience of the ice guys?

Can jury notify him that he crossed the line?

If you don't have correct line on PC then you have no idea that you have crossed it.

Outside help?

That is answered in the jury Q&A:

Question 9:

A/ After a boat has entered the AEZ, is the Race Management allowed to tell her?
Answer A: yes
B/ Does this break RRS 41 and the notice of race?
Answer B: No
C/ After a boat has entered the AEZ, is the race management required to tell her?
Answer C: No
Comment from the race management: The race management will endeavour to call the boat as soon as possible.
D/ Is the race management or a team permitted to warn a boat that she is about to enter the AEZ?
Answer D: No
In other news, we are as of yesterday on the 8th amendment to the SI, 5th change to AEZ coordinates.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Southern Cross" data-cid="5550267" data-time="1480703654"><p><p>Why especially hard for HB?

Depends on whether he has to change his seal plan shifting from starboard to port (because he has a starboard foil only).

Depends on whether he has to change his seal plan shifting from starboard to port (because he has a starboard foil only).

He may have to change his seal plan too if he's too close to the ice! Ha, ha. Sail plan of course. :)

by vice versa you mean Armel is pushing Alex? Alex's track seems more "defined"; Armel's less decisive. Anyway, thanks for the tip about how close Armel went to the limits.

The " Maybe the tracks show Armel being extra careful not to make a mistake." part.

He may have to change his seal plan too if he's too close to the ice! Ha, ha. Sail plan of course. :)
That's right. Judging by the amount of sail he had put up in the video to compensate for the broken foil. He may not have the same now. Speculation.

That's right. Judging by the amount of sail he had put up in the video to compensate for the broken foil. He may not have the same now. Speculation.

That was my feeling. He now has for all intents two different boats to sail. One on each tack. He certainly has had time to figure what will help him go fast on port, but must be a lot of work to set up.

Of course, he may have the sailplan set for non-foil, then just uses that same when he tacks over and uses the foil with perhaps a little more keel to keep him balanced. That would save wear and tear on him. I guess as a plus he can keep the port foil extended all the time so it is ready when he gybes.

Just a guess,

I'm thinking if Alex and Armel know they will be short jibing the ice limit for a while, with only a few hours between jibes, they will not be making the full stack transfers below.

more than likely balancing the weight down the center and working the cant for trim.

they are vmg running in relatively moderate breeze, 13-15kts, so not as much speed loss compared to the energy loss in doing a full re-stack every jibe.

AEZ news from JPD site directly, acknowledging the infringement.

He sailed into the zone at 17:20

Race committee notified him at 18:20

http://www.jpdick.com/fr/actualites/stmichel-virbac-est-entre-dans-la-zone-interdite-des-glaces.html

He has turned around to go back.

Ouch. 44 miles in, and 4 or 5 hours to get back to (44 30 S / 46 33 E).

Still, way better than a DSQ.

Anybody got a video of all they have to go through for each jibe? I'd love to see the process form beginning to end.

Vendee Globe TV YouTube Thomas Ruyant.

Geez that sure puts 'throw in a Gybe' into perspective, and that was in the middle of the day in pretty benign seas without heavy wind.

Link for others:

[heli vid of Sebastian Josse]

I can't remember how conditions compare, but he has a lot less sail up than BP or HB did in the heli-vids of them. HB had a whole extra masthead 0.

AEZ news from JPD site directly, acknowledging the infringement.

He sailed into the zone at 17:20

Race committee notified him at 18:20

http://www.jpdick.com/fr/actualites/stmichel-virbac-est-entre-dans-la-zone-interdite-des-glaces.html

He has turned around to go back.

Ouch. 44 miles in, and 4 or 5 hours to get back to (44 30 S / 46 33 E).

Still, way better than a DSQ.

Fuk! Are you disqualified if you don't go back?

In other news, VG posted a pice on the history of the Cape Leeuwin, including a bit of free enterprise nostalgia:

The Battle of Bantam in 1601, when five Dutch vessels overcame thirty Portuguese galleons marked the birth of the Dutch East India Company: Merchants were able to form armies, declare war and sign treaties

http://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news/16741/the-forgotten-cape

Anyone recommend an historical naval novel in English featuring the Battle of Bantam? 5 winning against 30 sounds epic.

[...]

Fuk! Are you disqualified if you don't go back?

Chasm knows best, but if this is a 'time penalty, then yes. SI instructions on penalties:

1. 11.2.2 Taking a time penalty

As soon as possible after having made its decision, the Jury will notify the competitor concerned of the penalty via Race Management. Race Management will then inform the competitor of an area or of a time limit within which the penalty is to be taken. When preparing to take the penalty, the competitor shall contact Race Management who will then time the penalty from a segment it will have notified to the competitor.

Once the penalty has been taken, if it has been taken and timed by the race committee, the competitor must go back across the segment before continuing the race.

2. [. . .]

3. 11.2.6 Jury’s power of discretion

1. (a) For minor breaches, the Jury may reduce the penalty or award no penalty at all.

2. (b ) For serious, repeated or deliberate breaches, the Jury may increase the penalty or

disqualify the competitor.

When was the second time? If I remember it correctly there is a rule that they have to notify it 1500 miles in advance. So if JPD was closer it does not count?

Would it be possible and class legal to have all your gear in some sort of container that was on a track and could be winched, or slid by gravity across to the other side of the boat during tacks and gybes?

[heli vid of Sebastian Josse]

I can't remember how conditions compare, but he has a lot less sail up than BP or HB did in the heli-vids of them. HB had a whole extra masthead 0.

Certainly not pushing anywhere as fiercely as HB. HB must have had almost double the sail area in very similar conditions and even then SJ was not looking very comfortable. I guess the reason he is over 500 miles behind.

All respect to AT. He is sailing on the ragged edge. All guts and glory. At one stage HB looked like it was going into a broach at the start of the helicopter footage. The loads on the sails and rigging and foils are incredible. Let alone the stress on the sailors. Motion and noise and comfort must be mad. All respect to all.

It will be interesting to show SJ the footage of AT after the race.

When was the second time? If I remember it correctly there is a rule that they have to notify it 1500 miles in advance. So if JPD was closer it does not count?

Look there

http://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/skippers-area/official-notice-board

I started to update my AEZ on map.

in amandement 6 (not modified):

13 49°00.00'S 060°00.00'E

in amandement 7:

Points 13;14 are modified in the following table :

13 48°00.00'S 060°00.00'E V3-->V4

in amandement 8:

Points 25 ; 26 are modified in the following table :

13 49°00.00'S 060°00.00'E V3 --> V4

Usually V3-->V4 mean changes

But here is not -->V5

I'm really confused :D

They moved it north and then back south without adding -->V5?

Would it be possible and class legal to have all your gear in some sort of container that was on a track and could be winched, or slid by gravity across to the other side of the boat during tacks and gybes?

Yes and no, some stuff is non removable, think liferaft, feul, epirb. Bu the rest (majority) can be moved. MichDes had a system as you describe. Some had lines and bags with hooks.

In other news, VG posted a pice on the history of the Cape Leeuwin, including a bit of free enterprise nostalgia:

The Battle of Bantam in 1601, when five Dutch vessels overcame thirty Portuguese galleons marked the birth of the Dutch East India Company: Merchants were able to form armies, declare war and sign treaties

http://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news/16741/the-forgotten-cape

Anyone recommend an historical naval novel in English featuring the Battle of Bantam? 5 winning against 30 sounds epic.

Epic, but its more like 5 Dutch to 8 Portuguese warships, with the lesser ships being 2 to 22 ratio.

Dutch entered 3 Por ships, rest fled back to Goa. So yes it was a big victory and a turning point. But not 5 to 30...

I don't know best. Especially not when I haven't been called on an obvious error that day. :ph34r:

Not going back is not sailing the correct course, so that would be an automatic problem.

As far as the ice limits go IIRC there was a posting that such an infringement also gets referred to the jury. It will decide on a penalty, from nothing to a time penalty all the way up to and including DSQ.

I can't find that article it but we'll find out whats happens soon.

Looking at the tracker JPD is almost back. Less intensive gybing at the front, wonder if they are already trying to maneuver them self into a position for the next front.

I don't know best. Especially not when I haven't been called on an obvious error that day. :ph34r:

Not going back is not sailing the correct course, so that would be an automatic problem.

As far as the ice limits go IIRC there was a posting that such an infringement also gets referred to the jury. It will decide on a penalty, from nothing to a time penalty all the way up to and including DSQ.

Looking at the tracker JPD is almost back. Less intensive gybing at the front, wonder if they are already trying to maneuver them self into a position for the next front.

I was looking for that jury clause too, but couldn't find it. Thanks for checking.

As for the tracker, Armel and Alex's point of sail and windspeed are almost the same, and Alex has advanced while on port.

Methinks the conditions where Armel can overtake Alex are greatly diminished.

I think it was Sebastian Josse on Gitana who has his food an maybe some other stuff on a sled that can be dragged from one side to the other with a rope system.

Should have been one of the pre start videos, possibly on dailymotion

@fross: Comparing files...

mark 13,14 changed back to AEZ v3

mark 25,26 new changes

I was looking for that jury clause too, but couldn't find it. Thanks for checking.

As for the tracker, Armel and Alex's point of sail and windspeed are almost the same, and Alex has advanced while on port.

If they've gotten in to sub-foiling wind, AT's lack of stbd foil probably isn't hurting him at all.

mark 25,26 new changes

Damn French Logic.

Add notice to top: Points 25 ; 26 are modified in the following table

And don't tell that they changing 13, 14 to old positions.

They have to get Alex somehow. ;)

Actually I think that the changes to 13&14 in AEZ v5 are a serve error. They are AFAIK not supposed to change ice limits that have been passed by boats. (Unless it is there is major problem with the limit, and in that case it would warrant some extra explanation.)

here is that section about the AEZ from the SI

8 CHANGE OF COURSE

8.1 If an important climatic event occurs during the race, or if a piece of information an impact on competitor safety is given by a competitor, a vessel, an aircraft, satellites or any other source, the positions of certain points of the ice area changed during the race.
8.2 Competitors will be notified of any change to the course by the Race Committee will send, via Race Management, a written message to each boat’s Inmarsat mail address. This message may be backed up by verbal instructions telephone. (This changes RRS 33 and Race Signals).
8.3 DEFINITION ANTARCTIC EXCLUSION ZONE (AEZ)
The Antarctic Exclusion Zone is a polygon represented by straight-line loxodromic segments linking virtual points. This zone represents an obstruction.
Reasons why a change in the position of one or several virtual points comprising the exclusion zone are at the organiser’s discretion.
- The organiser undertakes to change the position of the AEZ as soon as possible.
- The organiser may change the coordinates of a virtual point of the AEZ as and when one or more of the following conditions is satisfied:
1. Before the first boat reaches a longitude 30 degrees west of the longitude of the point concerned
2. And/or before the first boat reaches a latitude 15 degrees north of the latitude of the point concerned.
There will be no change southwards of the point between 46°00.00’S / 105°00.00’E-
120°00.00’E (Points 22, 23, 24 and 25 – Australian Barrier).
8.4 Each competitor shall acknowledge the receipt of each change by sending an e-mail to Race Management.

I think it was Sebastian Josse on Gitana who has his food an maybe some other stuff on a sled that can be dragged from one side to the other with a rope system.

Should have been one of the pre start videos, possibly on dailymotion

mark 25,26 new changes

https://youtu.be/eJgi-F9Njzo

Around 5:30

Spot on idea. I've often thought that a diesel genny, fuel, water tanks and batteries could all be set up like this with an electic drive.

Spot on idea. I've often thought that a diesel genny, fuel, water tanks and batteries could all be set up like this with an electic drive.

Like a jp54? Done bij Bernard Stamm, by purchase and in 2008 by loick peron on a carrousel , also by purchase

In Voiles & Voiliers ,VPLP comments on HB yesterday's vid and why is the boat that fast.

In the very early days of HB's project, what was super interesting, was that Alex Thomson did not come to us unprepared - says Quentin Lucet - he came to us having already thought a lot about his boat. He knew what he wanted, had already got extensive preliminary studies run in the towing tank, had done a lot of work on foils, thought about many details... he just told us " guys this is what I feel it should be. What do you think ?"

As what he was showing us was really relevant, we took part of his ideas and part of ours to get to what we see now.

It has been great to work with him.»

VPLP / Verdier then planned this slightly narrower yacht with a multihul inspired beveled and inverted bow to help popping out of water, they ground through the sheerline, just as you peel off a fruit, and Alex loved it

«He also wanted "unending" foils, so that he could use them earlier (from 11-12 nœuds knots against 13 à 14 for other boats) but also retract them earlier.

In the end we found a kind of compromise, as his first requests were quite extreme, he clearly wanted a foiler, a true one!"

Incidentally Lucet mentions that Hugo Boss did not copy them with any pic of the broken foil

In Voiles & Voiliers ,VPLP comments on HB yesterday's vid and why is the boat that fast.

In the very early days of HB's project, what was super interesting, was that Alex Thomson did not come to us unprepared - says Quentin Lucet - he came to us having already thought a lot about his boat. He knew what he wanted, had already got extensive preliminary studies run in the towing tank, had done a lot of work on foils, thought about many details... he just told us " guys this is what I feel it should be. What do you think ?"

As what he was showing us was really relevant, we took part of his ideas and part of ours to get to what we see now.

It has been great to work with him.»

VPLP / Verdier then planned this slightly narrower yacht with a multihul inspired beveled and inverted bow to help popping out of water, they ground through the sheerline, just as you peel off a fruit, and Alex loved it

«He also wanted "unending" foils, so that he could use them earlier (from 11-12 nœuds knots against 13 à 14 for other boats) but also retract them earlier.

In the end we found a kind of compromise, as his first requests were quite extreme, he clearly wanted a foiler, a true one!"

Incidentally Lucet mentions that Hugo Boss did not copy them with any pic of the broken foil

I love it! Go Alex!

mark 25,26 new changes

Damn French Logic.

Add notice to top: Points 25 ; 26 are modified in the following table

And don't tell that they changing 13, 14 to old positions.

Pascal “Le cœur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît pas” AKA 'the heart has its reasons that reason cannot know' :)

Thanks Moody,

So different foil, different placement of mast (most back IIRC) and different hull shape for Alex Thomson.

in Tip&Shaft a North guy talks:

one sail less this year (9), so they had to loose one headsail.

That would be a bit of pain to pick the right one to leave at home.

Yes and no, some stuff is non removable, think liferaft, feul, epirb. Bu the rest (majority) can be moved. MichDes had a system as you describe. Some had lines and bags with hooks.

Sooty Pussy w/Stamm - about 38 secs in. There's a better video somewhere but can't find it at the moment.

[vid]

Sooty Pussy w/Stamm - about 38 secs in. There's a better video somewhere but can't find it at the moment.

That one? #3965

Now, could Armel have suffered damage and he is not "telling"?

Hahah. I think the damage is done.