Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ryley

Vendee Globe 2016?

Would it be difficult to publish the full list? Would be interesting data.

Just a list without numbers.

attachicon.giftoplist.png

Awesome, thanks for that- interesting.

No surprise Alex and Armel are at the top of the list, but as you get down.

I'm surprised at Arnaud Boissieres- why is he so unpopular? Always seemed like a good guy to me, box office too with his life story.

Morgan being so far down is interesting too, would have thought the Safran skipper would have a following, even though he had to retire early.

Morgan being so far down is interesting too, would have thought the Safran skipper would have a following, even though he had to retire early.

This is click rates on the tracker, so the number stops going up as soon as the boat disappears off the tracker. Morgan has been off the tracker for a long time now.

Latest sked looks like Costa's going to be making HUGE gains on the pack of 5 ahead of him for the next day or two at least.

wonder why Heerema wanted to go cruising on a foiler?

above pic; does Sodebo have a canting rig, looks straight up here.

While I agree that B&G should be doing more to help Heerema, it sounds like it's something that would be exceptionally difficult to help him with remotely... something that would take a hands-on experienced technician to solve properly... something that some of the guys who have logged thousands of hours on these boats could sort out with some phone support, perhaps, but maybe a tall order in this case. Perhaps they could help him to get it working in a simpler fashion... like something that would be stable without being optimal speed-wise. With the goal just being to get him to the finish line safely and in a mood to talk about the support he got rather than the failures he experienced. Hell, just hire an intern who speaks Heerama's language, train the kid up thoroughly, and assign the kid to spend 8 hours a day on the phone with Heerama until Heerama is happy. You might spend $10k while hopefully developing the kid into a skilled employee, and possibly turn the PR mess around.

But what this really underscores is... Heerama made a mistake in buying a brand new next-generation boat. I believe the moral of the story is... If you want to do this as a bucket-list adventure rather than as a professional sailor, buy a well-established boat where the kinks have all been worked out already and the systems can be counted on to work. You still need to be prepared to deal with breakage, but at least you know it works properly.

It also makes me wonder... How did this problem not surface during the qualifying events and shakedown voyages?

FWIW... What's the price tag for someone to complete a VG as a bucket-list thing? Buying the boat and all equipment, doing all of the qualifiers, and dealing with all of the side-expenses.... 5 mil?

Heerema likely bought too much boat for his skillset, like Abby Sunderland. And he appears to had not left himself enough work-up time...in a recent video he says that he hadn't tested the backup pilot because it was installed the day before the start. However, those are side issues. The main complaint Heerema is making is that he had a contract with a guy to provide shoreside support for the AP, and the guy apparently walked away.

This "shoreside support guy" hasn't been the only person to walk. Heerema had his entire team quit months before the start, only to beg them to come back. So who knows the real story.

Could someone please post a link to the Forss tracker? iPad update scrapped everything and each time I go backwards I get the unexpected error message

Does Hereema has a problem or is he just going to do a JPD all the way over

Australia to escape the next coming low ? :)

Yes, he has a problem.

One angry man.

A

Hij (Pieter), kan hem gewoon niet trimmen.

He (pieter) just can't trim his boat.

En dan boos worden op de stuurautomaat leveranciers..

Having all kinds of aggresive thoughts on the automatic steering vendors...

My to pence of thought.

Reducing sail? Flatter sails?

4 th generation foils instead of keeping to generation 2?

Just a few suggestions..

@ Pieter === There is a very aggressive front coming up. Up to 70, 80 knots...

Keep out of it. When you do. Reduce all sails to an absolute minimum.

Surf...

o Way Back is the former Vento di Sardegna, a VPLP-Verdier designed boat from the latest generation, built originally for the Italian skipper, Andrea Mura, before his sponsors were forced to throw in the towel due to the economic crisis in Italy. Consequently, she is a brand new boat with foils, very similar to Armel Le Cléac’h’s new Banque Populaire and Morgan Lagravière’s Safran. Built at the Persico Marine yard in Italy and launched last August, this 60-foot boat was designed to be capable of winning the Vendée Globe. She has just been reinforced at the CDK yard in Lorient, following the damage suffered by the foilers in the Transat Jacques Vabre. A technological gem and a brand new boat, as she never took part in any races under her previous name. Pieter Heerema will have to learn how to tame her and is being helped to do that by Michel Desjoyeaux’s Mer Agitée team. You can’t find a much better teacher than that. While Pieter admits his main goal is simply to complete the voyage, with such a machine, he may catch the racing bug

Respect.. I want respect..

Could someone please post a link to the Forss tracker? iPad update scrapped everything and each time I go backwards I get the unexpected error message

gis.ee/vg

Forss,

Any chance you could twiddle the colour for HB to something with more contrast? Hard to see his track and/r projection sometimes. Maybe full black?

I'll buy you a case of beer if you do the Sydney to Hobart as well!!!

thanks

Forss,

Any chance you could twiddle the colour for HB to something with more contrast? Hard to see his track and/r projection sometimes. Maybe full black?

thanks

https://gis.ee/sh/

:ph34r:

Forss,

thanks

Brilliant!

What brand and where to I send it?

Re - B&G stuff: Is hereema getting any exposure? Looking at the various sources and social channels it doesn't seem that way to me, even in Holland he has like a few hundred people who seem to be paying attention to any news about him. Less than 5000 on Facebook with almost no comments, even the dutch sailing media seems to be phonin' it in. Not sure where any big sponsor benefit would come from in a campaign with almost no media presence, no stars, and a super rich, super private older gentlemen as the focal point.

Check out his father's WWII history in the Netherlands and Venezuela and then the reaction to the naming (by Hereema's family company) of the world's largest construction ship after the father.

Good luck to B&G - they'd better hope ole Pieter was just having a bad day and needed some milk & cookies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneering_Spirit_(ship)

Re - B&G stuff: Is hereema getting any exposure? Looking at the various sources and social channels it doesn't seem that way to me, even in Holland he has like a few hundred people who seem to be paying attention to any news about him. Less than 5000 on Facebook with almost no comments, even the dutch sailing media seems to be phonin' it in. Not sure where any big sponsor benefit would come from in a campaign with almost no media presence, no stars, and a super rich, super private older gentlemen as the focal point.

Check out his father's WWII history in the Netherlands and Venezuela and then the reaction to the naming (by Hereema's family company) of the world's largest construction ship after the father.

Good luck to B&G - they'd better hope ole Pieter was just having a bad day and needed some milk & cookies.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ailp5AxZD4

Heerema, legend.

and no big surprise that the foiler design gamble seems to have paid as the podium will probably be dominated by them, something I probably wouldn't have predicted if only for 'durability' reasons. real fkn' shame the two quickest daggerboard boats were eliminated though, the race was greatly diminished and they could have been factors. go Armel.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ailp5AxZD4

I don't think this pretty famous Dutch sailor who lost two brothers in WW2 I recall and hid from the Nazi's as a kid under very trying circumstances would approve too much if alive today. Ironically it was Conny's money and leave no detail untouched for his Flyer2 Whitbread campaign in the performance/Nav arena that gave B&G a big leg up 35 odd years ago.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conny_van_Rietschoten

Forss,

thanks

:lol: :lol: :lol: You're the best, Forss.

The weather gods presented a very nice Christmas gift to Alex. And Alex is having a super comeback from a DTL of 818 nm last Friday to 418 nm just now. Incredible. And we still have a serious race on for 1st place my naviguessing below shows. Post 1/2.

Input- 0830 CET positions- GFS 10 days (0,25 degrees) and after that- Open CPN climate plugin with historical weather data as proxy- standard IMOCA 2015 polars Output- Armel to finish ETA January 16th (that was on the previous routing 2 days ago the 14th) see yellow routing- Alex to finish ETA January 16th (that was previous also the 16th) see blue routing

- Delta time Alex compared to Armel: 6 hours (that was 40 hours)- Alex port/SB tack: 36 % / 64 % => almost unchanged to previous routing 2 days ago- Alex upwind: 53% (was 49%) => not good for catching up with 1 foil only

Analysis

As stated by Greatcircle in their weather analysis today, Armel is pushed towards the ice limits. See also my 2nd screenshot. His route has substantially shifted to the east compared to 2 days ago. The GFS weather routing for Alex is compared to Armel more or less the same, and more or less following the coastline. They are projected to sail in different weather, with more opportunities for Alex it seems.

Disclaimer

Polars overestimating performance Alex starboard foil on port tack. GFS GRIB has to become reality etc. etc that's why it's naviguessing :D

Excellent! Thanks.

Looking at the forss tracker and the GFS data, looks like Armel might be parked/making slow progress in a becalmed area after the Horn. (16-24 hours from now)

In the meantime Alex will be on staaaarboard tack, broad reaching in 18-20 knots.

Not to place any bets, but hope he can the current reduce 700+ gap to around 400.

Next time I'll truly make some bets.

Game on!

Jack,

Conny... that was a guy... and the sailors around him.

But this Heerema is the good one of the two brothers, he split years ago, his company of which he stepped out is just normal.

The other one has a bad reputation.

I would think Heery regrets he took not his cruising yacht ...

Back to important tuff,

Will ALC see AT coming closer ? Seems ALC has now stopped the bleeding and is advancing again.

Will YB overtake AT.

Will JPD, after doing even a westward loop be fighting for a podium ?

Who of the two oldies JLC and YE will prevail ?

Will Lious Burton be very happy with his position in the ranking and the (IRC) new boat waiting for him for the next run...

Will Fa be surprised to be 8th...

And alll the rest of the stories... to much going on.

gis.ee/vg
Thank you

Back to important tuff,

Will ALC see AT coming closer ? Seems ALC has now stopped the bleeding and is advancing again.

Yes!

Will YB overtake AT.

Never!

Maybe.

No idea.

Will Lious Burton be very happy with his position in the ranking and the (IRC) new boat waiting for him for the next run...

He should be.

He will actually come 7th ;-)!

Answers embedded ;-) ! Why we don't have a poll functionality here in SA forum? It could be quite fun, the wisdom of the crowd stuff ..

Jack,

Conny... that was a guy... and the sailors around him.

But this Heerema is the good one of the two brothers, he split years ago, his company of which he stepped out is just normal.

The other one has a bad reputation.

I would think Heery regrets he took not his cruising yacht ...

You would know more than me Leo in that flat land family history department. and arguably Conny cemented B&G on the map 35 odd years ago..Won't before long our generation is dead and everyone will say...WWII wots that?

Back to important tuff,

Will YB overtake AT.

Pretty good summary Leo....

Just one thing: I doubt Y.E would appreciate being classified in JLC's age group, he would rightfully rate JLC as being from the older generation, that who was already fighting his own father in the Figaro :)

Man, looks like Conrad Colman and Nandor Fa are going to be in for quite the wild ride. Over 50 knots a 10m waves! Wonder if Conrads north heading right now is trying to get out of the way of the worst of it?

Alex's DTL < 400 ! Go Alex Go!!

Yeah and he looks like he's in better wind as well!!

Alex might well grab a fuckin lot of miles out of Armel in the next 3 or 4 days...then again I said that a week ago for around now ...so maybe I'm just repeating myself.

I hadn't realised that some were using B&G autopilot. Are there many? When did NKE loose supremacy?

I hadn't realised that some were using B&G autopilot. Are there many? When did NKE loose supremacy?

None of the foilers are using NKE.

B&G and NKE have split the fleet for the past couple of editions. This time around, I think it is about 60% B&G and 40% NKE.

B&G and NKE have split the fleet for the past couple of editions. This time around, I think it is about 60% B&G and 40% NKE.

RM NKE have traditionally taken AP bragging rights ...,what happened???

Man, looks like Conrad Colman and Nandor Fa are going to be in for quite the wild ride. Over 50 knots a 10m waves! Wonder if Conrads north heading right now is trying to get out of the way of the worst of it?

Yes he is not in a particulary nice spot right now. Need to find some speed

B & G came out with a new CPU with accelerometers (? IIRC) that does a better job of controlling a surfing boat

B & G came out with a new CPU with accelerometers (? IIRC) that does a better job of controlling a surfing boat

Not exactly. They both came out with 3 axis accelerometer based CPUS around the same time, the 2006 period or so and the 2008 Vendee was the first big tryout. Both performed well, and both have seen enhancements since in the GPS sensors and the accelerometers, but even more so in the software.

I am speculating, but I think B&G made some ground from the growth of the non-French portion of the fleet. Maybe a bit from the displays since I think B&G were somewhat better displays until NKE introduced their current multifunction. There are also a couple of very good techs in the UK and France who install and support B&G.

it's probably partially due to those reasons, and maybe others that I can't think of. I am still in love with my NKE, both the product and the service I get, but I am not gonna trash talk B&G since I have no experience with them.

Both of these systems, at this very high end of the functionality spectrum, are expensive, and overkill for most sailors. Spec and buy for your needs, not something you read about.

They also take time to sort out, and are ultimately electronics in a harsh environment. Redundancy is a good thing.

Do you have any knowledge/rumors of either of these companies sponsoring/giving their stuff to any program?

H5k system is a significant speed improvement vs H3k and previous.

Speed of sensors & processor would be a factor in performance steering (downwind, seas, gusts)

This "shoreside support guy" hasn't been the only person to walk. Heerema had his entire team quit months before the start, only to beg them to come back. So who knows the real story

Heerema is another guy who thinks money can buy him anything. He is apparently taking this attitude all the way as this incident with his ground crew indicates. There's a lot of not so nice comments about him coming from the local Dutch sources. So, no surprise about the lack of sympathy for him...

The real newsworthy thing is that Alex has taken 450 miles out of ALC in the last couple days and is still reeling him at almost 8 knots per hour. That's insane. And the way the wind gods have set up for Armel he's going to keep losing for at least another 36-48 hours. This could easily turn into a 100 mile race ladies and gents.

Go HB. Another 50nm shaved off ALC's lead. Nice work by Alex.

Do you have any knowledge/rumors of either of these companies sponsoring/giving their stuff to any program?

I can't really speak to what either company does with any particular skipper.

I do know that the guys in the Vendee are, in some cases, taking the B&G or NKE system and then enhancing it with various customization of hardware and / or software.

H5k system is a significant speed improvement vs H3k and previous.

Speed of sensors & processor would be a factor in performance steering (downwind, seas, gusts)

True.

I don't actually know the processing speed of the B&G system. The NKE HR system processes at 25 Hz, and there are specific sensors (speedo, GPS, accelerometer, anenometer) that are designed to take advantage of that speed.

I remember being blown away when I upgraded from a Raymarine tiller pilot to a standard NKE auto pilot and instruments in 2003. Then upgrading to the NKE HR Pilot was an entirely different thing. The lag time between a shift in wind speed, wind direction or wave pattern is virtually non-existent, and there are not too many times where I will be better than the pilot.

For reference, Thomas Coville just used NKE to go aroundon Sodebo.

Alex is quite lucky with the weather at the moment. Just sayin'...

alex cannot be 'lucky' overall, because he lost his foil. If he were 'lucky' at any moment in this race, i think we'd all agree he'd be well ahead.

Well he just made his luck by making a difficult transition sailing on the talking edge of a system. Similar to Armel did a couple of times before that were called excellent weather routing!

Yes luck is involved but you have to sail well to take your luck!

Well he just made his luck by making a difficult transition sailing on the talking edge of a system. Similar to Armel did a couple of times before that were called excellent weather routing!

+1 How very true.

Heerema may be an underprepared rich dude, perhaps even an unlikeable guy, but he is still a sailor in one of the toughest races in the world far from civilization and alone. If I was in that case, there would be a hell of a lot more profanities coming out of my mouth. The best thing B&G can do is put a dedicated tech on the case, find out what the problem is and connect Heerema with an engineer that can walk him through fixing the problems, even if that requires a trip up the rig to replace a wind sensor (Alex said he is having exactly the same problem. Coincidence? I think not). The next best thing they can do is also cover his satellite phone time; the richest experience I recall troubleshooting offshore is when the front desk lady put me on hold for 10 minutes while they found tech support. No worries, that'll just be your lunch money please....

Way to go Alex, hopefully his AP problems are solvable so he can go Jackal hunting!!!

If Alex can get close, than shoot around ALC on a different system we may be in for a great run to the finish, here's hoping...

ALC, are you awake? Please stay north of that imaginary ice line. A foul now would be extremely costly. BTW, you now have company.

Must be frustrating watching his lead evaporate, but hey, that's sailing. Hopefully he is positioning himself well, like he has throughout this race. WindyTv forecast do not seem to match what the leaders are doing.

Forss, you used to list a contribution label on the tracker; with the excellent service of now providing a superior tracker for the SH and keeping up the good work on VG, can you let me know where to make my donation to keep up the good work?

Thank you very much,Maarten

If Alex can get close, than shoot around ALC on a different system we may be in for a great run to the finish, here's hoping...

At almost 3 x better VMG, Alex is flying. ALC is no slug though - he'd take some overhauling.

Colman turned back east instead of going way north. Does the have the speed to ride ahead of the big wind? I fear not.....

Looks like he's going to find out...

This could be a really interesting 60 hrs at the front with two low wind transition zones between the leaders and the trade winds. Should still be a first in first out scenario though.

+1 How very true.

+100 Absolutely.

Jérémie about to round the Horn on his next gybe. Nice work and in record time as well.

The big chicken should now be around the last cape, back in 7th Louis Burton is playing chicken with the ice zone.

Sebastien is almost around Cape Leeuwin. Who thought that he would make it that far?

Any idea what Pieter is going to do?

300nm to go for Paul until Tahiti.

The man in black is back... so nice of ALC to wait for him. Or he listened to Jack.

South Atlantic is for weather strategy the worst part of the world for a round trip, but normally you can hang on if you enter first.

Remember how close it came with the Professor and the Girl years ago.

That was precisely my point. A few days ago Armel picked up 500 nm and for some here he just was "lucky".

I was doing some last minute Xmas shopping on Saturday and found myself in a Hugo Boss store going through T-Shirts for one of my kids. I said to the storeperson "What do you think of Alex Thomson's efforts so far in the Vendee Globe?" He said "Who is Alex Thomson?". I pulled out my phone and started showing a few vids. Soon all the other staff plus a few customers were all oohing and aaghing. Alex and the VG now has another 8 or so new fans.

The man in black is back... so nice of ALC to wait for him. Or he listened to Jack.

South Atlantic is for weather strategy the worst part of the world for a round trip, but normally you can hang on if you enter first.

Remember how close it came with the Professor and the Girl years ago.

You dead right there Leo...What looks like a good plan on Monday is custard by Wednesday this side of the Equator...but some comfort is there is not a lot of passing lanes. Alex needs to chop a lot of wood right now.

Not sure even Pieter knows yet. Sounds like he'll be busy sorting his boat in the calmer weather pattern and keeping fingers crossed that a solution comes through for the autopilot. Several people took to B&G's Facebook page about Pieter's situation. B&G insists they have a tech team who has been in contact with Pieter's shore team and the dealer.

Nice wad of boats south of NZ. 10 to 15 could be fun to watch heading for the horn.

WetHog

For those who think luck explains the positions, you’re bound to be right if you pick one of the two leaders. About the upcoming weather, Armel gives the advantage to Alex:

It is not easy at the moment, the weather is not with me and it will not work out unfortunately. At Cape Horn I managed to take more than 800 miles ahead of me and it's the other way round, with each turn to have favorable conditions, but it's very frustrating. I have a anticyclone that my bar the road and I don ' I have no other choice but to go in. Alex Thomson is going to come back again in the next few hours.

It's a very complicated part of the South Atlantic. The files and the weather are very unstable. But you have to re-motivate yourself to find the best exit door and restart the machine!

"But you have to re-motivate yourself to find the best exit door and restart the machine!"... Words of wisdom.

Not sure even Pieter knows yet. Sounds like he'll be busy sorting his boat in the calmer weather pattern and keeping fingers crossed that a solution comes through for the autopilot. Several people took to B&G's Facebook page about Pieter's situation. B&G insists they have a tech team who has been in contact with Pieter's shore team and the dealer.

If true, this is why he slagged off on the install company but just stated that it was B&G gear.

Reading on Pieters FB it looks like he got some help from both companies, B&G and the installer. So far no solution to the problem though.

Both B&G and the French installer of all the components have been working on the issues, but even after exchanging every bit of equipment besides the wiring (ram, mastangle sensor, central processing unit etc) it still appears not to be working. And B&G and our French friend are still having trouble fixing it. After all these days and after all the information that has been sent (poor satcoms have been running non-stop transferring photographs, graphs and umpteen bits of other info) and after the wildest assumptions nobody can say anything sensible about what then hell is wrong.

In other news we'll find out soon how good Conrads pilot is working. Some weather coming up for him any time soon.

"No Way Back"?

Conrad retweeted this pic about flying to catch Nandor:

"Foils @fd518 style ;-) thanks for the cool drawing!! @VendeeGlobe @spiritofhungary" https://twitter.com/conradcolman/status/813799884142899200

C0syq3zWIAEV_No.jpg

Chasm, are you also tracking all the AP issues? IIRC, Armel mentioned his heater was causing AP problems, Alex talked about only being able to use magnetic course for a while, Conrad has had issues, and of course, the recent Heerema problems. Beyou too? Up until the Cape of Good Hope, seemed APs were working well for most. After, . . . .

I was doing some last minute Xmas shopping on Saturday and found myself in a Hugo Boss store going through T-Shirts for one of my kids. I said to the storeperson "What do you think of Alex Thomson's efforts so far in the Vendee Globe?" He said "Who is Alex Thomson?". I pulled out my phone and started showing a few vids. Soon all the other staff plus a few customers were all oohing and aaghing. Alex and the VG now has another 8 or so new fans.

Good of you to spread the Love, Jack.

Piss poor of HB not to keep its own staff in the loop though. What a lost opportunity too. You'd think the shop would have POS material up as well wouldn't you? Bloody landlubbers.

I would suspect Armel's AP issues are voltage drop caused by heater cycling on. That should be the only contact between the two systems.

Heerema impressive with -1.8Kts currently heading west. DFL soon ?

He's a better man than me to be out there doing it.

I have to say his attitude does piss me off though, blaming all but himself, angry angry angry.

He has the right to be, but it just is wasted energy.

Being so close to behind even FaceOcean though says alot.

On another note, does anyone know how Destremeau is doing in relation to the times that boat set in its previous laps of the planet?

He's a fine sailor, seems like a good guy too- I'd like to think he's doing well against her previous times.

Looks like Armel has a wall ahead of him, it will be very hard to keep Alex behind. We might assist a restart of the race. Beyou is a bit far behind but he might benefit too.

That's very unlucky, Armel lost the VG last time in the same place, twice would be really unfair. In term of luck, it is a bit different from sneaking away as sneaking away means you were smart enough to find a hole, when you hit a windless wall, you can't do much about it apart hope to eventually find a small hole in the wall that will close behind you.

Looks like Armel has a wall ahead of him, it will be very hard to keep Alex behind. We might assist a restart of the race. Beyou is a bit far behind but he might benefit too.

That's very unlucky, Armel lost the VG last time in the same place, twice would be really unfair. In term of luck, it is a bit different from sneaking away as sneaking away means you were smart enough to find a hole, when you hit a windless wall, you can't do much about it apart hope to eventually find a small hole in the wall that will close behind you.

Ye of little faith. BP now over 20 vmg.

But now is the time to get "cocky". JB made it around the horn. His first after many attempts. Way to hang in there. Congratulations! Great milestone to finally reach in such a very long race.

Juan Kouyoumdjian's giant killer

post-76289-0-84723600-1482868012_thumb.jpg

Chasm, are you also tracking all the AP issues? IIRC, Armel mentioned his heater was causing AP problems, Alex talked about only being able to use magnetic course for a while, Conrad has had issues, and of course, the recent Heerema problems. Beyou too? Up until the Cape of Good Hope, seemed APs were working well for most. After, . . . .

No, I only kept a few notes on the race ending pieces. Missing masts, keels and the like.

At the beginning nobody really talked about AP issues. Now it seems clear that everyone had them at least once.

What is secrecy and what might be obfuscation of other issues?

On another note, does anyone know how Destremeau is doing in relation to the times that boat set in its previous laps of the planet?

He's a fine sailor, seems like a good guy too- I'd like to think he's doing well against her previous times.

Hmm...... 1998 boat, started and finished twice in the VG:

2001 9/24 111 days Josh Hall

2008 8/30 109 days Steve White

The only easy to find sector time is for 2008, Cape Horn after 72 days.

Stolen from the official VG website...

post-14713-0-13847000-1482879030_thumb.jpg

I really like this shot. Standing in a safe spot, sails nicely trimmed... Nice!

And now, around the horn!

Juan Kouyoumdjian's giant killer

What is that? a 'nother Jaun K shiter?