^ I've also heard that rather startling quote by M.Desjoyeux, seemed to say damage management was a far greater part of this race than most would think, that without serious technical know-how, you'd be fucked. I've always wanted to have a good look at one of these boats that just raced around the planet to see what got brutalized, or didn't, are teams usually open about this?

^ I've also heard that rather startling quote by M.Desjoyeux, seemed to say damage management was a far greater part of this race than most would think, that without serious technical know-how, you'd be fucked. I've always wanted to have a good look at one of these boats that just raced around the planet to see what got brutalized, or didn't, are teams usually open about this?

Yep, some are. Mich himself published all the damage that occurred when he won in 2008. Including the fact that he was nearly out of the race on Christmas Day. He did not talk about it at the time but was very open after the fact.

Has anyone given Alex shit, I haven't seen it here. Only thing said was that he may not be completely true about his boat speed.

Previously, people were giving him shit about not disclosing whether he had a spare foil.

Or why AT never sent a picture of the stump. That was discussed for days.

Alex now under 200, closing quickly. Good.

And Destremeau is on his way. Double plus good.

As for the Live, some good stuff about foils from Ryan Breymaeier, 4 mins of bad sound with Guillame Verdier [will wait for the transcript], and at min 29, Pieter Heerema spoke [grouched?] about his flooded GPS antenna , "installed in a ridiculous way," rust, screws too small, . . . All day working working working, probably for absolutely nothing, wonder what I’m doing here, but will probably feel better when the sun comes out."

Might want to go back, check the facts (starting with Clean's interview with Alex), consider your wording, and post your findings.

ALC is entering the doldrums, it's expected that AT would close the gap. It will expand again as ALC exits the doldrums into the NE trades before AT does so. AT just has to hope for a net gain in the process. There will be a few days of stbd tack close reaching in the NE trades where AT may be able to close the gap a bit more. But ultimately the race will be decided in the last few days in the moderate latitudes. The timing of a low pressure system will end up being a matter of luck.

Has anyone given Alex shit, I haven't seen it here. Only thing said was that he may not be completely true about his boat speed.

Previously, people were giving him shit about not disclosing whether he had a spare foil.

Be aware, be very aware... do you really want jack_s to start talking about John Wick ...?

Hard to hear what Ryan was saying, bad line and not the first time. Verdier Said that Alex's boat is a bit heavier BP so more dependent on functioning foils. Also in future new masts required. To much pressure with improved foils

Hard to hear what Ryan was saying, bad line and not the first time. Verdier Said that Alex's boat is a bit heavier BP so more dependent on functioning foils. Also in future new masts required. To much pressure with improved foils

Agree. Ryan's point that foils are here to stay was interesting, and that IMOCA has adapted before, despite the high costs of developing foils.

Latest projection with Forss' tracker shows Armel expanding his lead up to +/- 300 miles DTL for Alex in the coming 168 hours - if GRIBs hold etc.

What a difference a few hours make. Latest projection has the gap down to 66 nm.

post-63767-0-95018200-1483744842_thumb.png

These may have been posted before but interesting to revisit now,.. Couple of good vids on HB's foils

Agree. Ryan's point that foils are here to stay was interesting, and that IMOCA has adapted before, despite the high costs of developing foils.

If new OD masts aren't cutting the mustard with foils then surely we would be seeing busted rigs a plenty ...which we don't. Maybe the inference is they are having to back off to keep their sticks in and there is more gas left in the tank with these things. Jeremie's foilin Frankenboat doesn't have a OD rig which is maybe why he has struggled in some conditions by having to take the foot off the peddle sooner maybe?? Once race is over and we hear more skipper feedback will be interesting.

This could turn into the best race there ever was.................

maderdoe

should i post shouldnt i post ah fuck it why not xxx

If new OD masts aren't cutting the mustard with foils then surely we would be seeing busted rigs a plenty ...which we don't. Maybe the inference is they are having to back off to keep their sticks in and there is more gas left in the tank with these things. Jeremie's foilin Frankenboat doesn't have a OD rig which is maybe why he has struggled in some conditions by having to take the foot off the peddle sooner maybe?? Once race is over and we hear more skipper feedback will be interesting.

Guillame Verdier segment starts at 22:00 http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x57kyo0_the-vendee-live-of-the-6th-january-vendee-globe_sport (this was recorded over a day ago from NZ where he's helping with the AC campaign). Haven't seen a transcript yet, but maybe you can pick out more about what he was saying about foils, righting moment and masts. The foils are still in development, so that's probably why Alex has so many sensors.

these boats definitely have more in the tank, especially the foilers, but average speeds are what matters, not ultimate speeds.

Agree, even with the decision tree in Figure 10.17( B) we non-meteorologists can't tell these 5 apart. I only use the word "through" if I have read that elsewhere in a weather prediction for the situation I'm routing for.

Trof [sic] on the weatherfax.

these boats definitely have more in the tank, especially the foilers, but average speeds are what matters, not ultimate speeds.

Yes I think that was what he was implying. And in future generations with even better foils, it will be even more of an issue. Also I got a bit of an impression that they need quite perfect sea state to be able to really fly.

From the weather model on Forss' tracker it seems Le Cleac'h may have just tiptoed across a little bridge through the doldrums. While Thomson still has to start on the worst bit. But the correlation between the weather models and local reality is likely to be weak at best.

Any idea why BP stopped showing half of data points?

Darksky API had some problems.

It took more than 10sec to get answer, so it skipped.

Also happened to Nandor Fa & Louis Burton.

Will see if it works on next update.

Any idea why BP stopped showing half of data points?

Darksky API had some problems.It took more than 10sec to get answer, so it skipped.Also happened to Nandor Fa & Louis Burton.Will see if it works on next update.

Thanks a lot! What a service ;-)!

From the weather model on Forss' tracker it seems Le Cleac'h may have just tiptoed across a little bridge through the doldrums. While Thomson still has to start on the worst bit. But the correlation between the weather models and local reality is likely to be weak at best.

mmmmm...me thinks the Gobi Desert is about to swallow Armel and force him into a go left driftathon....the man in the tight fitting black suit might just get a jump here by arriving at the Ddoor a bit late and be able to stay right....then again next weeks weather looks really interesting for their next runway...

Masts. If I remember the dockwalk right some of the old boats have masts designed with a righting moment noticeably higher than the OD masts.

More RM more power, esp now that you can use it for longer with the foils. Which feeds nicely into the "Old boat now have an advantage over new builds!" fear designers seem to have. :)

Question is of course how many of those high RM rigs are left in the fleet. And how many of those survive this VG. Then rules become interesting. Can you keep replacing those rigs indefinitely when they come down? Can you change them while keeping the RM? - Where are the limits?

If modified old boats are so good that new ones with much more required structure can't catch them any longer maybe change the refit rules instead. Half a ton or so of corrector weight mandatory structural reinforcements should help. ;)

In short, performance seems now to be primarily limited by rigs. Designers want the easy out since they don't know how to do foils. :P

OTOH the new rigs and keels seem to work just fine. Performance is also up there for the most part.

In short, performance seems now to be primarily limited by rigs. Designers want the easy out since they don't know how to do foils. :P

OTOH the new rigs and keels seem to work just fine. Performance is also up there for the most part.

Actually, we are seeing the first generation of foil assisted boats (carefully using the phrase to avoid DougLord's attention:) where the teams asked to VPLP to design the boat with "classic" hull as-if-foils-did-not-exist in case foils do not work. You can simply swap foils for daggerboards but you're stuck with the hull.

Now that we see foils do work and that first 4 boats (5 if Gitana would still be in the game) are foil(asist)ers, we can be sure they will radically exploit benefits in the coming hull generations. It is worth mentioning that Hugo Boss is not the same abut is narrower with wider foils. This might indicate that Alex got convinced on the performance of the first foilers and was willing to trade off a bit of hull stability for extra speed on foils. When worked, he arguably the fastest in the fleet. Now imagine to take all the feedback from the race and evolve this concept further...

Conrad does it again. How would anyone else write up the worst day of their life? Not like this:

It feels wonderful to be heading eastwards again, with mast pointing upwards, sails in the middle pulling me forwards and the keel in its correct place under the water! It's much more relaxing than being dragged sideways across the tops of the foaming crests with the keel pointing skywards instead of the mast!

Before leaving the topic of one of the worst days of my life, I would like to talk about Jules Verne. I am a huge fan of his books and indeed the racing number of this boat is NZL 80, inspired by his book "Around the World in 80 Days". His other most famous book, "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" is the story of a famously reclusive submariner called Captain Nemo who lived under the waves on his submarine in order to avoid all of humanity. In honour of his isolationism the most isolated point in the oceans is called Point Nemo and marks the midpoint between New Zealand and Chile and the Pitcairn Islands and Antarctica. I was just south of this point when the forestay failed so you might say that I followed the real estate agent's maxim "Location Location, Location" when choosing the spot for my disaster!

Escaping from the literal middle of nowhere feels great, especially as I have benefitted from light winds and largely sunny days to finish fixing the mainsail and get the boat and myself into decent shape again after the dramas of the previous days. I have several bruises, cuts on my hands and a misplaced rib that I managed to sort by stretching so it's going to take a few days for me to recover. Thankfully now that the boat is ready to go I have some stronger winds coming from the south that will allow me to make good progress to the Horn and allow me to finally close the door on challenging passage through the wild oceans of the South.

http://www.conradcolman.com/single-post/2017/01/07/Update-day-61

Alex looks like he's ready for a bit of tennis. Look how close the whale surfaced!

mmmmm...me thinks the Gobi Desert is about to swallow Armel and force him into a go left driftathon....the man in the tight fitting black suit might just get a jump here by arriving at the Ddoor a bit late and be able to stay right....then again next weeks weather looks really interesting for their next runway...

Lad you have a serious hardon for AT.

Not a criticsm, just an observation ;)

So Alex closed to within 118nm before slowing (still south of the equator), and now Armel will extend. Ho hum for the Doldrums. Wale of a time. JPD in trouble or just spun around in no wind?

Herman, when did you switch to Sqid? Much different from CPN?

Today's Live was missable, but the Kite vid from Fabrice Amedeo was good https://www.facebook.com/yachtingworldmagazine/posts/1229818683768068

Don't recall a kite being used before.

The audio from Rich Wilson was worth a listen.

-has been in touch with the Chief Mate aboard New Zealand Pacific (rescue ship from when he capsized at the Horn)

-speaks well of the ‘community’ of racers, and how they encourage and help each other. E.g. mentions how he was able to connect Enda, and Stephane with key contacts in New Zealand.

Meanwhile the Cock is thrusting forward hard, so to speak.

Kristian,

Alex told VPLP to build him the fastest IMOCA 60 on the planet, period. No constraints, make use of the foils. They're only on gen1 of the foils, likely gen1 or gen2 of the sails designed for semi-foiling (arguably Doyle got that a bit more right than the other teams). The boat has more potential left in it. The question is, how much more IMOCA sailing does AT have left in him? I wouldn't be surprised to see him leading a multihull campaign in the next few years.

JPD is heading south-east, does he want to go around again ala Bernard Moitessier :D

Back in track.

Becalmed and drifting in the current, or doing some repair, who knows.

Louis Burton is doing a remarcable VG, even without much drama.

"Michel Desjoyeaux tells Philippe Elies reporting for Le Telegramme, ‘’If I was to put money on it…..I’d put a ticket on Alex Thomson!’’

Yes.

Lad you have a serious hardon for AT.

Not a criticsm, just an observation ;)

That is a factual observation Ice ..not fanboy...and Alex is #3 on my list.

BP stretching away now, HB well and truly stuck at low speeds. So much luck hasn't gone Alex's way in the race, but as we all know, that's sailing.

"Michel Desjoyeaux tells Philippe Elies reporting for Le Telegramme, ‘’If I was to put money on it…..I’d put a ticket on Alex Thomson!’’

Yes.

Thought that was a strange article when Jonas posted it yesterday (links here #7022 ) . Seemed the reporter was trolling MD with impossible questions hoping MD would say something controversial about Armel, Alex's "reputation", about the foils, about the doldrums, and so on. MD's closing bet seemed like a "fine, OK, I'll give you something quotable." If that's typical of French reporting, no wonder Armel keeps his mouth shut.

e.g, this headline: http://www.letelegramme.fr/voile/vendee-globe-alex-thomson-je-peux-surement-battre-armel-le-cleac-h-06-01-2017-11354039.php?cx_tag=contextual&cx_navSource=CxLireAussi&cx_artPos=0#cxrecs_s translates into an arrogant and inflammatory click-baiting "Alex Thomson: "I can surely beat Armel Le Cléac'h"

JPD is heading south-east, does he want to go around again ala Bernard Moitessier :D

Back in track.

Becalmed and drifting in the current, or doing some repair, who knows.

Per his site/Twitter page, JPD dove under the boat to inspect the hull. Back in 4th!

Yes.

Be pretty good odds I'd have thought, too.

+1 An excellent job indeed.

Varan and Sailby.. putting aside the compression it might just get even better me thinks for the cockster...possibly a dream run through the doldrums coming up.

Varan and Sailby.. putting aside the compression it might just get even better me thinks for the cockster...possibly a dream run through the doldrums coming up.

Agree. It's looking like a dream run from here. Go, Jérémie.

Must be pretty hard on Le Cleac'h to both find a way to escape from the doldrums that seem to follow him and to keep covering Thomson.

With the continuous changes in the weather models, I think the first in first out scenario is still the most likely. Would expect Le Cleac'h to extend to about 200 miles by the time both boats have stable winds again.

"Michel Desjoyeaux tells Philippe Elies reporting for Le Telegramme, If I was to put money on it..Id put a ticket on Alex Thomson!

Yes.

There is a small nuance in french "être joueur" (bet high?) which is typical from Desjoyaux.

Such an affirmation will permits him to say "I was right " in every case. If Armel win: "that was so predictable". If Alex win : "I told you..."

"Michel Desjoyeaux tells Philippe Elies reporting for Le Telegramme, If I was to put money on it..Id put a ticket on Alex Thomson!

Yes.

There is a small nuance in french "être joueur" (bet high?) which is typical from Desjoyaux.

Such an affirmation will permits him to say "I was right " in every case. If Armel win: "that was so predictable". If Alex win : "I told you..."

Desjoyaux should also have introduced the small French like bet high nuance that ..."and if Jeremie runs one or both of them down as they struggle to deal with the weird NA high I told you"

Cock does not have a passing lane unless one (or both) frontrunners experience serious tech problems...

Coddiwomple Krisy with a K...go look at next weeks weather...Jeremie has far better routing opportunities in front of him than Armel and Alex who will be working their fuckin rings out negotiating a maze to get a decent runway to flare burning territory. You clearly hate anything that smells or looks like chickin :-)

Must be pretty hard on Le Cleac'h to both find a way to escape from the doldrums that seem to follow him and to keep covering Thomson.

With the continuous changes in the weather models, I think the first in first out scenario is still the most likely. Would expect Le Cleac'h to extend to about 200 miles by the time both boats have stable winds again.

I can't believe it, but I am actually pretty nervous for ALC right now! I am shocked I am feeling any emotions for a race I can't follow in real-time on video, but this one really captures the imagination! Great race!

There is nothing, nothing I'd like more that to see the CockMaster win this one.

Love the idea of what he's done to the boat, and has sailed an incredible race thus far with very little weather information.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Doldrums is being pretty nasty for the time being, seems to be far worse for the front two though. Go the master cock.

Good stuff from Mike Golding on the Live about the Atlantic pack.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x57s5hp_the-vendee-live-of-the-8th-january-vendee-globe_sport

17:51 Mike Golding: Weather especially stressful for Armel. All on starboard, Alex has no disadvantage, very quick in these low windspeed foiling conditions.

Beyou? Surprised there is not more commentary on his closing the gap. JPD better positioned than DTF shows, but all have a good opportunity.
Alex’s time to the equator 14hrs faster than Gabard’s? Verdier’s hull shape comment worth another look. Clearly foils also make a difference. Great overall conditions for the race, too bad the non-foilers aren’t in.
Tomorrow, Ian Walker. Should be good if Will Carson can tone down the gushiness.

Nandor disappointed his 5th rounding of the Horn won't be in daylight. Gushy questions on the Live, but he was allowed 1 minute of Hungarian at 14:20 of http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x57s5hp_the-vendee-live-of-the-8th-january-vendee-globe_sport Perhaps something of interest there.

He basically summarized what he said in English and of course greeted all at home.

Nandor disappointed his 5th rounding of the Horn won't be in daylight. Gushy questions on the Live, but he was allowed 1 minute of Hungarian at 14:20 of http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x57s5hp_the-vendee-live-of-the-8th-january-vendee-globe_sport Perhaps something of interest there.

He basically summarized what he said in English and of course greeted all at home.

Thanks. You've been following him longer than I have. Think this will be his final Horn rounding, or where do you think he might go from here?

Happy little exaggeration from Conrad:

Thankfully the wind is pretty stable and I can make short dashes into the cockpit to make small adjustments to the trim in the sails before ducking for cover again. I certainly envy the guys in the new boats who can trim their sails while wearing slippers and pajamas!

http://www.conradcolman.com/single-post/2017/01/08/Update-day-64-chilly-

I think it is safe to say that Mike Golding was wrong about the "foilers" needing at least a 1000 NM lead over dagger boarders up the atlantic.

Thanks. You've been following him longer than I have. Think this will be his final Horn rounding, or where do you think he might go from here?

I don't think he'll go for another round. He's pretty much a solo guy, which even goes to building he's own boat. He was the first non-French to finish on a VG (1992-93) which was quite an achievement.He already had two circumnavigations by that time (first in 1988-1990 in a 31 feet boat, non-solo, and then on the 90-91 BOC challenge). He abandoned the next VG, due to collision, and then he stopped doing ocean racing for a long time. To some, it seemed like he got scared or disappointed to not attempt the VG again. But he said that doing an other VG was his ultimate dream, so he moved considerable efforts to get this done. He had a number of problems with this boat before and during the BWR, but looks like finally he got it robust enough to be a good boat, although it is not on par with even older generation boats, but so far it seams it does not break. I do not think that he would be able to build a new boat that could even have the slightest chance to be competitive against the new foilers. Given his solo attitude, I do not think either that he'd just buy a good boat. Besides by the time of the next VG, he'll be 67, and he has repeatedly said that he was getting old. So all in all, I think if he finishes, especially at 8th place, that would be a result that he could be satisfied, and would not be longing for another race.

JPD's has had a pretty good run up the inside track. Looks to have shut Yann and Jean out for now.

Can't see him getting on to the podium from here, sadly.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x57s5hp_the-vendee-live-of-the-8th-january-vendee-globe_sport

What does he mean when he talks about the 'wind ladder'?

That JPD is on the advantaged side of the course, and the others would have to climb a few rungs to get onto his "inside track", as we've seen in the skeds since Golding spoke. Googling "sailing what are wind ladders" gives more detailed examples..

I like it at the end where Armel at his equator crossing is toasting Neptune. He then says; "I now just have to get out of the doldrums" and involuntarily glances over his right shoulder directly at where Alex is coming from.

That JPD is on the advantaged side of the course, and the others would have to climb a few rungs to get onto his "inside track", as we've seen in the skeds since Golding spoke. Google "sailing what are wind ladders" for more info.

Ladders and snakes

I think it is safe to say that Mike Golding was wrong about the "foilers" needing at least a 1000 NM lead over dagger boarders up the atlantic.

Yes, sadly. Although he was talking about Alex's chances with a crippled boat back then, the costs to get the foil advantage and the potential of a new narrower hull means that a future Vendee for the Corinthians (privateers, dreamers, adventurers) is even further out of reach. Looks like Conrad got one in just in time.

That JPD is on the advantaged side of the course, and the others would have to climb a few rungs to get onto his "inside track", as we've seen in the skeds since Golding spoke. Google "sailing what are wind ladders" for more info.

Ladders and snakes

Called "chutes and ladders" in the US

Cock does not have a passing lane unless one (or both) frontrunners experience serious tech problems...

Coddiwomple Krisy with a K...go look at next weeks weather...Jeremie has far better routing opportunities in front of him than Armel and Alex who will be working their fuckin rings out negotiating a maze to get a decent runway to flare burning territory. You clearly hate anything that smells or looks like chickin :-)

Ha! Actually I met Jeremy while living in France and like the guy a lot. He deserve better position but initial breakages handicapped him a lot. Otherwise, he would be fighting with Armel and Alex.

Anyway... looking at the models, I do not see what you predict. In a week time Armel could be at Acores while Cock Master is still around midd way between CapVerdes and Canaries. But as the situation is very unstable many things can happen. Armchair Admirals love this because they can always claim they knew what is going to happen :)

Kris we are on the same Jeremy wavelength...In fact amoungst many outstanding achievements in this race, Thomas Ruyant and Conrad in particular, Jeremy's is a standout. Launching into the southern ocean with only limited comms/weather was one thing, but to be where he is now with that impediment is quite remarkable. Says a lot about his Fig/seat of the pants talent and determination. Don't forgot without armchair admirals this would be a pretty lonely place.

Well well well! Although Alex has surprisingly reduced the gap to less than 100 nm (and still gaining), the 168 hr Remora/forss project continues to grow to almost 400 nm. Lots to watch for. Elsewhere in the fleet, looks to be business as usual.

And a good reminder that it's 20 years since Gerry Rouffs was lost (he's the only Vendee skipper I've met).

http://www.vendeeglobe.org/fr/actualites/17913/il-y-a-20-ans-la-mer-emportait-gerry-roufs

+1 I find him to be irritating

Pretty clear that the wind forecasts currently shown for the leaders are not reality based on what we are seeing for COG and SOG. This is getting really interesting.

Well well well! Although Alex has surprisingly reduced the gap to less than 100 nm (and still gaining), the 168 hr Remora/forss project continues to grow to almost 400 nm. ....

stief Remora/forss's 400nm split relies heavily on Armel clearing the doldrums on or before the next sked at 0400 and Alex staying glued. Looking at tbeir actual numbers versus forecasts that may well not happen.

....and Jeremie is still motoring along nicely.

Well well well! Although Alex has surprisingly reduced the gap to less than 100 nm (and still gaining), the 168 hr Remora/forss project continues to grow to almost 400 nm. ....

stief Remora/forss's 400nm split relies heavily on Armel clearing the doldrums on or before the next sked at 0400 and Alex staying glued. Looking at tbeir actual numbers versus forecasts that may well not happen. [...]

Agree--and AFAIK, they use the same polar for all. Gives a great way to compare forecasts, and actual/ projected tracks.

Since Cape Horn, so many have been confidently predicting Alex's demise. Fun to watch the nervousness when he keeps on surprising the doubters. Even if Armel does win, he'll only win over a wounded boat. :)

I think Alex 'won' the race already, and hope to see that in the Canal.

Since Cape Horn, so many have been confidently predicting Alex's demise. Fun to watch the nervousness when he keeps on surprising the doubters. Even if Armel does win, he'll only win over a wounded boat. :)

I'm a big AT fan and really would like to see HB win this thing, but which ever boat gets home first is the truly deserved winner. This is not David v Goliath. It is Goliath v Goliath. It is because I admire so much the way that AT sails that if BP stays ahead then he will have 'won' the race in all aspects of that word. I'm sure all the boats and skippers are carrying performance degrading damage at the moment.

A question for all you "experts", which I don't mean in a negative way. You guys know far more than me!

I watch what is going on at the front of the fleet and I understand what happens in the doldrums, but it seems to me that whenever it goes really light AT has an advantage. His figures look so much better. Is it my imagination, just luck of the doldrums or, as I am beginning to suspect, has ALC got an issue we don't know about. It feels to me like he might have a hole in his sail wardrobe. In a long race like this, it would be very easy to blow up a sail like a code 0 and leave a hole in your performance capabilities. An occasional difference due to local conditions I can accept, but I think I am seeing a pattern. Thoughts?

A question for all you "experts", which I don't mean in a negative way. You guys know far more than me!

I watch what is going on at the front of the fleet and I understand what happens in the doldrums, but it seems to me that whenever it goes really light AT has an advantage. His figures look so much better. Is it my imagination, just luck of the doldrums or, as I am beginning to suspect, has ALC got an issue we don't know about. It feels to me like he might have a hole in his sail wardrobe. In a long race like this, it would be very easy to blow up a sail like a code 0 and leave a hole in your performance capabilities. An occasional difference due to local conditions I can accept, but I think I am seeing a pattern. Thoughts?

no expert, but the experts also seem to be looking at hull shape.

Really light BP is sligjtly quicker,.Iight moderate HB gets up foiling...well the port one anyway..sooner so quicker than BP. As it gets fresher beyond moderate the speed difference diminishes to the point where they are about equal again.

I'm a big AT fan and really would like to see HB win this thing, but which ever boat gets home first is the truly deserved winner. This is not David v Goliath. It is Goliath v Goliath. It is because I admire so much the way that AT sails that if BP stays ahead then he will have 'won' the race in all aspects of that word. I'm sure all the boats and skippers are carrying performance degrading damage at the moment.

Yes. The name on the trophy is the winner. Everything else is 'luck' or 'coulda woulda shoulda' . Sorry--thought that was a given.

As far as the recent reports go, it is difficult to really assess because we don't have real wind data from the boats. Gribs are notoriously unreliable in the doldrums

the Gribs have been total fiction for the last few days and given the mess in the north atlantic I'm not putting any faith in the tracker predictions anymore. It's a 2 horse race but i've no idea who the winner will be.

A special edition of AT Lea & Perrins would fly off the shelves! ;)

He got in a plug for Marmite and Ryvita the other day too

stief Remora/forss's 400nm split relies heavily on Armel clearing the doldrums on or before the next sked at 0400 and Alex staying glued. Looking at tbeir actual numbers versus forecasts that may well not happen. [...]

Agree--and AFAIK, they use the same polar for all. Gives a great way to compare forecasts, and actual/ projected tracks.

We don't really know what damage there has been on BP. At this stage, Armel would probably settle quite happily for "just" the conventional win.

Fascinating race all the way. I wasn't a big AT fan previously, but I must say he has won me over this edition: he has put together a great program with a fast boat that he has sailed very well while remaining one of the most engaging communicators in the race (along with Conrad and a few others).

Cant be fucked to look back through this thread after being in a place with no internet for what feels like an eternity....

Did Alex have a broken foil or was it all bullshit?

Cant be fucked to look back through this thread after being in a place with no internet for what feels like an eternity....

Did Alex have a broken foil or was it all bullshit?

It was all bullshit. Go back to sleep - you've missed nothing. :)