Does anyone know if the routers allow for tide??? The current router predictions for ALC and AT put them north of Ouessant towards the end of the race. Ouessant is not a good place to be singlehanded on a deep draughted boat in a foul tide with little wind.....

And there are traffic separation zones????

They're all familiar with Ushant, surely?

Of course, but it could be why ALC feels under pressure......Routing software is saying go north of Ouessant, whilst instinct and the shortest route say go south. Only ALC can lose a place.

A racer can limit damage by taking care of boat. Frequent checks for wear. He lost it for me when videoing the birds. Armel may be quiet on the video updates but if I was a sponsor I'd want the quiet one who wins as opposed to the show man who doesn't.

I'm probably the opposite of a lot of folks who have come to respect AT more during this race. I've been disappointed by his speed and focus in recent weeks. When he pushes he has the boat speed to win. Unfortunately all the negative comments historically from the likes of Mike Golding have set him up to be too conservative. He should go balls out from here and sail like he used to. It's the only way past ALC and no one outside of our bubble cares who comes 2nd or 3rd. It's time AT NOW - get the big guns out and do everything you can.

Scopas is a troll! or a conspiracy theorist - either way not from this planet :wacko:

Still think the heart of the post is a fair question--is Alex too cautious now?

I don't think so. You don't get to be in second place at this stage of Vendee and so close to the leader by being too cautious. He took some nicely calculated risks early on (or got lucky) and then blew his foil (whether it fell off or hit something doesn't worry me at this stage as I'm sure it will all come out) and he has done well since then. On Stbd he has been in the hunt, on port he seems to have adjusted well. Could be that he has a better boat and better choice of sails too, but a boat has never won the Vendee by itself.

I'm impressed with him in this race as like most others I expected him to go for the 24 hour record as soon as they turned left for Cape Town and break his stick instead he was quick but smooth and seemed to have it all under control. Good race for him wherever he finishes now.

Armel has been super consistent. I don't speak French so I can't really comment on what he has or hasn't said to the press. Certainly the English speakers seem to have been more vocal on the PR side of things but I think that is probably just a cultural thing when compared with the French who don't tend to blow too much about their achievements.

Just over a hundred miles lead now. Its both a nice little buffer and way too close for comfort. Great work by Thomson keeping the pressure up to the line.

A couple of things to consider before passing the final judgment on the two leading sailors. A) in the lighter winds, it's hard to know exactly what the real TWA's and TWS's were. B) Not really clear to what extent the sea state impact the usefulness of the foils. C) unreported damages

Does anyone know if the routers allow for tide??? The current router predictions for ALC and AT put them north of Ouessant towards the end of the race. Ouessant is not a good place to be singlehanded on a deep draughted boat in a foul tide with little wind.....

And there are traffic separation zones????

They're all familiar with Ushant, surely?

That's the next thing, having to go that much up North, will bring them in tricky waters not only near Ushant but also when sliding down along the South Brittany and Vendée coasts: coasts and tricks Armel knows as well as "the palm of his own hand" as French say.

Of course, the faster the boat is the less influential the tricks are? But....

Time on port tack for the man in black to get to the red flare canal is shinking by the minute....Armel won't be a happy camper.

Dunno, there is some logic to the idea that the more of a straight shot it becomes, the easier it will be to defend.

AT pushing as hard as possible to close the distance with only 4-6 days remaining. Crazy to think that these guys are within 100 miles of each other at this point. Cudos to both to be able to push their boats this much for this long. Says quite a bit about the construction of these latest generation foilers and the OD masts & keels.

Starboard. VMG 22.7 vs 19.7. The fight is on.

Mr Thomson has found another gear:D

That's what I meant. Now we see who the real Jackall is. Bring it home AT...

AT pushing as hard as possible to close the distance with only 4-6 days remaining. Crazy to think that these guys are within 100 miles of each other at this point. Cudos to both to be able to push their boats this much for this long. Says quite a bit about the construction of these latest generation foilers and the OD masts & keels.

. . . and the construction of the skippers. Rich Wilson brought up the 'noise' issue again:

“We rocketed through the night in a manner that is not at all my style. Yet there seemed an opening to get to Cape Horn if we went very fast and the wind gave us the chance, so we did. It was shocking and noisy and bouncy and noisy and big seas and the boat ricocheting and noisy and fast, fast, fast. And yet, when all was said and done, our little boat icon on the position reports showed 14.9 knots. So for the leaders of this race, who routinely would have little boat icons showing 19 knots, or 21 knots, what must that be like on board other than petrifying. It’s the one aspect of this I do not understand: how can those sailors tolerate that stress?

http://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news/18097/squalls-at-cape-horn

Time on port tack for the man in black to get to the red flare canal is shinking by the minute....Armel won't be a happy camper.

Dunno, there is some logic to the idea that the more of a straight shot it becomes, the easier it will be to defend.

Last couple of days will be a round shot..Armel's sphincter has to be tightening right about now ...trust me ..I'm a Priest.

Last couple of days will be a round shot..Armel's sphincter has to be tightening right about now ...trust me ..I'm a Priest.

about 40hrs from now AT will be able to wipe it for him.

Whole article worth a 2nd or third read: VG features Nándor's words on coming out of the storm:

It took forever for dawn to break and I wasn’t sure we’d survive it in one piece. At times, we were caught in such enormous breaking waves, they simply grabbed the boat and threw her 20 – 30 metres away, where it felt like we’d landed on concrete. The boat is creaking and crackling, water flooding across everything.

http://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news/18105/putting-hungary-on-the-solo-offshore-racing-map

Tracker doesn't show waves tossing the boats 20 or 30 metres, of course.

ALC's dilemma is best characterised by the disparity in the routes indicated for Maitre Coq...... Play forward +152 hrs.

If ALC follows the router, he can't stay between AT and LSDO and lets AT inside him. If the weather doesn't go as predicted, he could be in trouble..... This could be a grand stand finish.

Cat and mouse game for Armel.

What is the estimated time of arrival in Sable?

60 hours to go. Roughly.

There is still time for Alex to break his boat especially now that things have freshened up a bit. That's the only way I now foresee a chicken in second.

There is still time for Alex to break his boat especially now that things have freshened up a bit. That's the only way I now foresee a chicken in second.

At this rhythm (5 NM every hour), he needs about 80 hours to overtake Armel. We might see breakage as the 2 are going to drive their boats really hard. May be Armel is waiting for him to be closer before taking inconsiderate risks.

Thomson/'Huge Boss' is now under 100nm in a tailchase of ALC/'BP', gaining by 2-3nm per hour with 3-4 days predicted to the Finish. They're shaping to pass just east of The Azores, and need to navigate clockwise around a complex and unstable weather feature west of Biscay. That suggests they may well need to route down towards Les Sables d'Olonne from NW of Ouessant.

One of three things could decide this: a) individual sail-racing abilities B) breaking something important c) hitting something hard. ( Yeah, yeah! 'No shit, Sherlock!' )

This could be a nail-biter neck-and-neck 'match race' to the finish, and you can bet French navy and news helicopters will be out looking for the pair.

I wonder where the returning Russian carrier force is now?

At this rhythm (5 NM every hour), he needs about 80 hours to overtake Armel. We might see breakage as the 2 are going to drive their boats really hard. May be Armel is waiting for him to be closer before taking inconsiderate risks.

5 NM per sked makes sense, or 0.5 / hour. Good point about the timing of when they might take more risks. Alex spoke about that earlier today.

5 NM per sked makes sense, or 0.5 / hour. Good point about the timing of when they might take more risks. Alex spoke about that earlier today.

Looks like that time is now... ALC up to 23. Could there be a new 24 hr record in the very near future?

All approximate:

1200 NM remin for ALC. AT is 88 NM behind. 1200 + 7.35% = 88.2

ALC current VMG 21 Kts. AT current VMG 22.4 Kts.

21 + 7.5% = 22.54

Just sayin...

When do you send it as hard as you can?

How soon is now?

Sorry I meant 5NM per 4 hours.

Looks like that time is now... ALC up to 23. Could there be a new 24 hr record in the very near future?

It's going to be a fast few days of sailing with both boats breaking the 24 hr record. The question remains, who will be fastest!

Big 24hr runs up front. Go Alex.

It's going to be a fast few days of sailing with both boats breaking the 24 hr record. The question remains, who will be fastest!

I think that there is no doubt that Alex's boat is faster especially in these conditions. Remember the South Atlantic leg on the way out. The question is whether Alex is faster enough.

How should we read this? Is it just more current data?

Forss has added data from AIS http://www.marinetraffic.com that shows positions to other ships (usually those within VHF range). So when one of the VG boats comes within range of a ship that reports AIS data, it shows on forss' tracker. See #5594753

Conrad got his video grove back:

He certainly has a knack of portraying a slightly different perspective - giving us an interesting insight into his environment.

Looks like both are going really hard.

Impressive to think that both of them could break the 24hr record at the end of the race. there has to be performance degradation at the end of a round the world trip.

Great race!

Forss has added data from AIS http://www.marinetraffic.com that shows positions to other ships (usually those within VHF range). So when one of the VG boats comes within range of a ship that reports AIS data, it shows on forss' tracker. See #5594753

Brilliant. Thanks!

Impressive to think that both of them could break the 24hr record at the end of the race. there has to be performance degradation at the end of a round the world trip.

Great race!

Alex has his "Wendy House" closed around him and is going for it. Will he break it?

fwiw probably shore based AIS reception.

fwiw probably shore based AIS reception.

right. Should have written "other ships or shore station". Shore station in this case http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/stations/2968 (3 mins ago, Armel slowed slightly: 19.3 knots)

Great race!

Alex has his "Wendy House" closed around him and is going for it. Will he break it?

For non-Brits, this is what AT is referring to as his "Wendy House." A pretty common back-garden item in suburbia....

b-and-q-one_0.jpg

Whole article worth a 2nd or third read: VG features Nándor's words on coming out of the storm:

It took forever for dawn to break and I wasnt sure wed survive it in one piece. At times, we were caught in such enormous breaking waves, they simply grabbed the boat and threw her 20 30 metres away, where it felt like wed landed on concrete. The boat is creaking and crackling, water flooding across everything.

http://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news/18105/putting-hungary-on-the-solo-offshore-racing-map

Not to put too much of a dampner on Nandors effort, but considering his offshore experience was surprised that he was sailing with a large volume of water sloshing around in his reefer mainsail for a long time. He sounded surprised. Real danger of big problem.. Complete contrast with Alex who was going on deck with a bucket regularly in these conditions. Thought Nandor would have learnt that lesson years ago.

Great work forss with the AIS data. Thanks.

Here's Armel track in detail for the 2-3 hours.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-26/centery:37/zoom:9

Wow. Talk about traffic. It's like the Place de la Bastille on a Friday afternoon.

Just saw that it is now technically trivial to get position data onto the AIS map. Just an cell phone could be enough. Free, I think. Sheesh. https://help.marinetraffic.com/hc/en-us/articles/205327417 VOR and Vendee could feed their 10s or 6 min tracker data easily. Would they? Totally different question.

Someone should try this for their next club regatta.

At 3 PM EDT I checked marine traffic and they've not had an update in 9 minutes so BP may be out of range by now. It will interesting if/when HB sails into range to track or will he just be outside the receiver range.

forss, amazing work with this tracker. The AIS is over the top good.

(Edit: now 13 minutes so I'm guessing he off the grid again)

No sign of Hugo Boss on AIS?

I think Hugo Boss must have their AIS transponder turned off. I searched Liveship but could not find her.ALC up to 24 knots now...rootin' for Alex though

It took forever for dawn to break and I wasnt sure wed survive it in one piece. At times, we were caught in such enormous breaking waves, they simply grabbed the boat and threw her 20 30 metres away, where it felt like wed landed on concrete. The boat is creaking and crackling, water flooding across everything.

Not to put too much of a dampner on Nandors effort, but considering his offshore experience was surprised that he was sailing with a large volume of water sloshing around in his reefer mainsail for a long time. He sounded surprised. Real danger of big problem.. Complete contrast with Alex who was going on deck with a bucket regularly in these conditions. Thought Nandor would have learnt that lesson years ago.

I think he is aware of this. See: http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=149326&page=50#entry5561249

Anyone know if Adrena also inputs the boat AIS data from the internet? If so, that's a hole that might be addressed in the regs. Seems to give an possible advantage. Alex should be able to see that Armel has kept more easterly than the grib guidance suggested.

Note: NOT trolling for the AIS-leash issue, or suggesting the race is unfair.

I've got a boat in the virtual race and I'm right in between PB and HB, and it is interesting to see that my speed is 19kts whilst Alex's is around 25kts!

I've got a boat in the virtual race and I'm right in between PB and HB, and it is interesting to see that my speed is 19kts whilst Alex's is around 25kts!

Thanks for that info! Gives a quick contrast to the Virtual polars and/or actual weather.

And well sailed, Sir. :)

I think Hugo Boss must have their AIS transponder turned off. I searched Liveship but could not find her.ALC up to 24 knots now...rootin' for Alex though
Hell no. As stated earlier in the thread above, it's f*cking busy there with cargo ships that don't even notice that they have send you to Neptune. I think it's in the VG regulations to have AIS on. If not, good seamanship (colregs) will mean to have the AIS on, always. Unless the electrics have burnt out and/or the battery gone.

+1 Who would willingly take that risk, especially at night?

Armel seems to have engaged the turbo. He is nearly keeping up now.

Hell no. As stated earlier in the thread above, it's f*cking busy there with cargo ships that don't even notice that they have send you to Neptune. I think it's in the VG regulations to have AIS on. If not, good seamanship (colregs) will mean to have the AIS on, always. Unless the electrics have burnt out and/or the battery gone.

+1 Who would willingly take that risk, especially at night?

AIS Antenna part of the defective masthead unit?

The GFS, CMC and WW3 weather models all pretty much agree with each other for the next 48 hr, which is bad news for HB. AT really needed the high pressure to stay where it is for 48hr so he would have a big corner to cut and minimal time on port. Alternately it could move a little north and he could then tack early and sail around the bottom of it. But the H going to smear itself to the north, but with strong easterlies in the bay of Bisque so no southern route will be possible for 96h at least. So there is now less of a corner to cut followed by significant time on port.

HB should be able to gain a bit in the next 24h by taking a more easterly course but maintaining similar or higher boat speed, but that will only get him within 50nm , then there is no obvious way through. Although there is still another light wind transition and he's done well on the last 2 or 3 of those, so that could be worth another 30nm ish.

Best scenario I can see for HB is +/- 20nm to ALC with 200nm remaining... on port... but cracked off rather than fully up hill... in 20ish TWS. Going to be awesome! Also I think we are going to see some heli shots of HB with his starboard foil stub fully deployed to get some lift and damn the drag!

wow ... what a f.... bloody amayzing race .. loving the data and all the work everyone has put in that have made this incredible race Thanks from the Heart

now watching the world on water update jan 12 half hour update with the fantastic file footage of HB creaming it..!!! still catching up ...!!!......with the other half of the screen showing gis ee absolutely hero effort

now only 85.4 miles between the guys in the lead awesome wow

but to everyone on the race track cheers what an event

just imagine if hb still had the foil stirling effort without it

and as the footage of wow just said JLC and YE sailing the race within 10 ?? miles of each other

Alex has blasted the 24hr solo monohull (<60') record again. 465.8nm vs Gabart's 454.3nm.

[snip] Best scenario I can see for HB is +/- 20nm to ALC with 200nm remaining... on port... but cracked off rather than fully up hill... in 20ish TWS. Going to be awesome! Also I think we are going to see some heli shots of HB with his starboard foil stub fully deployed to get some lift and damn the drag!

Fun to see a stub deployed indeed. As for the 20 nm, that's what I'm seeing now, but since the mileage at the finish keeps shrinking, and Herman keeps checking, and of course, reality keeps on surprising, I'll keep thinking Alex can somehow win.

Still surprised he didn't find benign enough conditions to put in the proper anemometer (and some antenna?), and that he hasn't been picked up on AIS yet. Hope MarineTraffic email notifications are working so I can stop checking the tracker for a while :)

Am I right in thinking AIS range is 25 miles? IE: When Alex is under that distance to leader, he'll have an advantage

Advantage ALC IMHO. Not knowing where your nearest competitor is heading makes it tough for the leader to cover. 7 hours without knowing if AT is going to cut the corner and sail below the high or continue around above is hard on the leader. Real-time course updates makes it much easier and way less stressful. This is the point of the race I bet AT wishes he had a stealth mode.

Am I right in thinking AIS range is 25 miles? IE: When Alex is under that distance to leader, he'll have an advantage

Advantage ALC IMHO. Not knowing where your nearest competitor is heading makes it tough for the leader to cover. 7 hours without knowing if AT is going to cut the corner and sail below the high or continue around above is hard on the leader. Real-time course updates makes it much easier and way less stressful. This is the point of the race I bet AT wishes he had a stealth mode.

I can't see any way through to the south of the high in any model, so I don't think there is even a bees dick of a chance of a big split in the boats. He'd need to go on the wind for 12+h at least and then the angle on the other tack sucks for the next 12+h, only then for the wind to be on the nose all the way into the Bay of Bisque.

But strange HB has not turned up on AIS yet. Perhaps he has been able to get more east so that he is out of range of the land station on the island? Perhaps whatever has stuffed his mast head instruments has also damaged his VHF? Perhaps the tin foil used in his self constructed spare foil is interfering with it?

Alex just logged a 24 hr run of 527.7 and picked up almost 14 miles on Armel (who is now making better speed it seems).

Sailbydate--I hope I'm wrong wrong wrong about the record. This is crazy good.

Alex just logged a 24 hr run of 527.7 and picked up almost 14 miles on Armel (who is now making better speed it seems).

Sailbydate--I hope I'm wrong wrong wrong about the record. This is crazy good.

+1

Too close and complicated to call. Considering the very limited data of actual performance we have, it is impossible to predict the outcome, but of course we can’t help ourselves trying :) .

How much of the corner can Thomson cut?

How much will Le Cleac’h try to cover, respond to the conditions around him and deviate from the lines the routing predicts?

How much faster is Hugo Boss when the winds are relatively far aft in the coming 24-36 hours? If at all?

Is Banque pop set up better for upwind?

How much will the broken foil penalty be for Thomson?

Will there be an advantage to Le Cleac’h because he has raced more in the Channel, especially on the French side?

Will life ever be the same after this :blink: ?

Too close and complicated to call. Considering the very limited data of actual performance we have, it is impossible to predict the outcome, but of course we can’t help ourselves trying :) .

How much will Le Cleac’h try to cover, respond to the conditions around him and deviate from the lines the routing predicts?

How much faster is Hugo Boss when the winds are relatively far aft in the coming 24-36 hours? If at all?

+1

Will there be an advantage to Le Cleac’h because he has raced more in the Channel, especially on the French side?

+1

It better is part of the mast head defects. And if so he better has informed the RC when if happened as the SI require.

Not that he passes Armel and then gets protested and consequently dinged a few hours for driving without mandatory gear.

21.6 AIS

The AIS must operate (emission/reception) throughout the whole of the race.
In addition, if the AIS is not functioning, the boat must immediately inform the Race Management. She must still maintain a watch.
And then from the Jury Q&A: 21.6 not keeping watch is a band 1 penalty, 0-6 hours.

It better is part of the mast head defects. And if so he better has informed the RC when if happened as the SI require.

Not that he passes Armel and then gets protested and consequently dinged a few hours for driving without mandatory gear.

21.6 AIS

The AIS must operate (emission/reception) throughout the whole of the race.
In addition, if the AIS is not functioning, the boat must immediately inform the Race Management. She must still maintain a watch.
And then from the Jury Q&A: 21.6 not keeping watch is a band 1 penalty, 0-6 hours.

HB has been out of VHF range of anything since Cape Horn! If it is not working because of a mast head issue, then he probably has no idea. Would it be too cruel of him to ask ALC for a radio check in about 24 hours?

Would have thought that the RC would have a paid sub to AIS tracking via satellite and would know the status of AIS transmitters on all the boats. All AIS Tx that I have worked on have some method of indicating their Tx status and VSWR (condition) of the antenna/cable. So if there is a fault both the RC and AT should be aware of it.

Could be he simply wasn't picked up, has different equipment, a different antenna that is not reaching the shore station at that angle of heel... many things can affect propagation including the time of day and they passed the island with about a four hour interval between them.

This is insane- the speeds these guys are managing to clock up are totally unheard of for monos- if only Alex had the second foil!

Weather and routing update 2/2

ETA Jan 19th, +/- 07:00 GMT

Armel in blue dash cutting the corner according to EMWCF, Alex hiking on the LP zone to the (north)west black dash

First of all congrats to Alex Thomson on the new record.

On the other hand in terms of tactics, (based on the paths of the last 24-36 hours) looks like Alex's current goal is to stay on the heels of Armel no matter what.

If he could get within Armel's AIS range (10-15-25? miles), he could make the decisions promptly on when to cut the corner / make the turn at Ushant.

Given it is a match race now, it will be more likely that they might deviate from the optimum route.

ETA: Jan 19th 6:00-8:00 AM UTC ?

This is an incredible Sprint.... after being 800 nm behind in the Pacific.... Alex will be kicking himself for all the "If only I went this way/pushed harder" moments over the past 2 months.

ALC still deserves to win but Alex can have the 24h record to cheer him up :)

What I find notable in the routing by squid on gis.ee/vg is that both Armel and Alex are consistently climbing more east than the routing says for the last 2-3 days IIRC.

Cutting the corner by 20° or so.

Different polars for the foilers or something else?