• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

I think one thing is that Thompson has proved himself capable again. Even though he didn't train with the french, and did his own thing. Its an improvement on his last position and this time he wasn't gifted it. Not that i think at all he didn't deserve 3rd last time, he did however benefit from another persons miss fortune. He has won a lot of fans in france too!

This time he went and pushed for first the whole way round and gave us a hell of a story.

I have fully enjoyed watching all the video's and feeds. Big kudos to all the sailors in this edition, and hats of to ALC for eventually (hopefully) sealing a 1st place. You deserve it.

Indeed he has, online, as in radio and tv broadcasts, we have heard the name Alex over and over again, with much warmth and many well wishers.

I think one thing is that Thompson has proved himself capable again. Even though he didn't train with the french, and did his own thing. Its an improvement on his last position and this time he wasn't gifted it. Not that i think at all he didn't deserve 3rd last time, he did however benefit from another persons miss fortune. He has won a lot of fans in france too!

This time he went and pushed for first the whole way round and gave us a hell of a story.

I have fully enjoyed watching all the video's and feeds. Big kudos to all the sailors in this edition, and hats of to ALC for eventually (hopefully) sealing a 1st place. You deserve it.

Which in some polemical articles in France is taken as his "strong point" and a step forward in the class development.

Banque Populaire's AIS is not showing on Marinetraffic or Vesselfinder.com

The Royal Atlantic AIS is no longer showing on Marinetraffic (off for the past 5 hours)

Alex - OK we know he's had problems with his.

A bit too much of a coincidence for my taste. I won't be clicking on the VG's cartography pages.

Yes, website/organisation shoots itself in foot.

I'm watching it live on BFMtv

The Royal Atlantic AIS is no longer showing on Marinetraffic (off for the past 5 hours)

A bit too much of a coincidence for my taste. I won't be clicking on the VG's cartography pages.

Same here. Good coverage and commentary by Desjoyeaux himself.

A litle cluster of boats including a Direction of course now visible 10 km out from Les Sables on VesselFinder. Official website remains useless!

So when did it happen exactly, going up the Atlantic there was probably a lot of time where he missed it

Exact answer was I have no J1 since 1 or 1andhalf month, we have to wait to know more.

In the bfm video I looked at I didn't get that part of the interview at all, any link ?

So when did it happen exactly, going up the Atlantic there was probably a lot of time where he missed it

Exact answer was I have no J1 since 1 or 1andhalf month, we have to wait to know more.

In the bfm video I looked at I didn't get that part of the interview at all, any link ?

Armel said his J1 had been gone for 1.5 month

Someone please give that camera dude a gimbal.

The Heli pics seem to have one!

OK, now the pics from on the water do look much better. Less seaway?

Link I don't know bfmtv direct live repeated frm time to time.

And yet you don't know how to spell his name!

That was a learning event.

Congratulations to Armel and BP for an amazing performance. It shows that consistency and keeping all equipment working is the best way to win a race. My hats off to Alex though, this swabbies eyes feel he had the better boat. The loss of his foil could have ended even a chance for 2nd, yet two things kept him in the hunt, a well designed fast boat and his seamanship in maximizing the best his reduced port tack affected performance. It can suck that the fate of a race can hang on the luck of hitting or missing a UFO. That is the nature of this competition so it is something to consider in preparing for the next. Kick back foils, like kick up rudders perhaps?

As this winds down for me, I now look forward to the VOR. I hope forss picks up the data coming from them so it adds to the excitement of that race. As I like a tight competitive race, working the routing on multiple boats will be interesting though it will show that AIS or not, OD sailing, even open ocean will be dictated by routing software more than WYSIWYG. The Cape Town to Hong Kong leg will really test endurance of humans and boat.

My hopes that everyone still racing makes it to the finish line. There were a couple characters I followed that didn't make it, but two are still out there so thanks to the tracker I can follow them to the end. What I'd hope for going forward is that races like the VG and VOR open up the data more, perhaps requiring ads of key sponsors, because the official stuff was flashy, but did not meet the needs of those who seriously follow the race. More updates would also be good. One thought would be to have major data dump every 4 hours, but just position every 2 hours. This way people can follow progress or see sooner when *something happens*. WHo knows, maybe SpaceX will have it's Satellite Internet up and running by 2020 and they can add live streaming video from the boats, fore aft top of the mast.

Amazing race.

I have Armel on eyeball from the north pier Les Sables d'Olonne. The fat lady is polishing off her last creme de menthe and is about to break into song. Congratulations ALC.

AT - you made it a fantastic race. Next time with another rocket ship please

Yes but the cluster of boats following ALC is not visible.

It was visible on VesselFinder but not Marinetraffic, strange!

and as we look, suddenly Armel has switched his on and its there on Marine Traffic! (Or MarineTraffic suddenly allows us to see him?)

Few minutes ago Michel Desjoyaux asked ALC "have you mechanical problem? answer "my main problem is I broke the hook of j1 in south pacific, I am sailing Whithout J1 since 1 month.

I knew it, I knew it, I knew it. Given all the problems the other boats have had and the fact he gave up 700nm going up the Atlantic. There was just no way that Armel had a boat going 100% all the time. Several times there was a comment that AT's sail plan was either better from the start or due to attrition. Now we know attrition was a part of that.

And POP! BP suddenly back on AIS 4 (four!) NM out from LSDO. Bit pity that the VG breaks its own Sailing Instructions. It seems marketing and/or egos are more important that sailor safety. QED.

+1 . it erodes their credibility.

And POP! BP suddenly back on AIS 4 (four!) NM out from LSDO. Bit pity that the VG breaks its own Sailing Instructions. It seems marketing and/or egos are more important that sailor safety. QED.

DO you seriously believe that, or are you just trying to start a stupid rumour? I can guarantee that VG Race Direction have never asked BP t turn off AIS.

This has been an AMAZINGLY brilliant, nailbiting, edge-of-your-seat, stomach in knots for days kind of race! And now, a sigh of relief for the frontrunners with the finish in site

Of course, winning the Vendee IS the goal! Hard to imagine those who themselves through it just for the helluvit? :)

Yet it's silly to say people remember only the winners and no one who came in behind. In previous VGs, many recall much more vividly the dramas/challenges overcome by, say, JPD, AT, LeCam, Ellen, Bilou, etc, etc., than the actual winner that year. Er... without having to check google. ;) It created keen interest in seeing what they would do next, following their races between VGs, would they return for another go-round in four years?

When they do, they are the first of the lot I check in on, no matter if in 1st, 2nd, 4th, 6th or last. In immeasurable ways, the value to a sponsor grows even greater.

Also looking forward to the continued foil development following this race. Expecting mass improvements in the next four years. Better start a thread.

Few minutes ago Michel Desjoyaux asked ALC "have you mechanical problem? answer "my main problem is I broke the hook of j1 in south pacific, I am sailing Whithout J1 since 1 month.

I knew it, I knew it, I knew it. Given all the problems the other boats have had and the fact he gave up 700nm going up the Atlantic. There was just no way that Armel had a boat going 100% all the time. Several times there was a comment that AT's sail plan was either better from the start or due to attrition. Now we know attrition was a part of that.

The MichDes "Say Absolutely Nothing About Your Troubles During the Race" method that Gabart used last time as well.

Congrats to Armel. Hell of a race.

How long to AT crosses? And based on the tack BP is on we should have a good view of the famous broken foil.

WetHog

What an incredible victory! Congratulations to Armel and Banque Populaire for an extraordinary lap of this Marble!

How long to AT crosses? And based on the tack BP is on we should have a good view of the famous broken foil.

WetHog

In the dark.

WetHog

I thought AT said at some point that he was able to finally remove the broken foil... If I'm remembering correctly, all we'll see is the absence of the foil.

WetHog

I thought AT said at some point that he was able to finally remove the broken foil... If I'm remembering correctly, all we'll see is the absence of the foil.

Really? Clearly missed that news. Thanks

WetHog

Very well done Armel, congratulations! Still from the live stream, he kisses his boat.

post-49019-0-88012100-1484840832_thumb.png

So has the record been smashed by 10 days?

It's 4 days according to wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vend%C3%A9e_Globe

yes "only" 4 days. Surprising really considering the fast run down and foils. Would have expected a 7+ day shaving of the record

Sam Davies just commented that the ice exclusion zone caused a more narrow corridor between the Saint Helena High in the SO limiting routing and possible lap times.

DO you seriously believe that, or are you just trying to start a stupid rumour? I can guarantee that VG Race Direction have never asked BP t turn off AIS.

Then how do you explain it!

Its no rumour that the signals as shown by the two AIS websites did what folk here have said and I have used the AIS websites very frequently over several years and have never seen anything like this before. It cannot be a set of coincidences in my opinion, but if you know better then give us an explanatioon please.

Raw emotion from Armel. Shows just how much pressure this guy has been under. Especially the last week or so.

Hats off to him.

WetHog

WetHog

I believe he was able to fully retract the foil, so the broken bit isn't sticking out anymore.

Raw emotion from Armel. Shows just how much pressure this guy has been under. Especially the last week or so.

Hats off to him.

WetHog

Yes. Nice to see that he's actually human!

So many people on board BP! Come on go up the chenal now while it's daylight!

Congrats....

They said they are waiting for the fireworks, I mean the tide to be just right before he comes up the channel.

WetHog

Hosts did best to paint the Armel's canned responses about Alex in favorable light...Wish he would show just a bit of the graciousness that Gabart extended to him last time.

Hosts did best to paint the Armel's canned responses about Alex in favorable light...Wish he would show just a bit of the graciousness that Gabart extended to him last time.

Terribly scripted, but then I guess he must be knackered, difficult to be spontaneous in such a context.

Reading through the lines of his own English, I think "He give me a hard life.." Says it all...

He was answering the questions about Alex in English. Clearly not his native tongue. I think you are reading to much into what he said.

WetHog

Thanks Moody for the 24hr plot and explanation, it sums up the race.

ALC without J1, hmm, that hurts.

So the biggest equipment test has its winner,

(extra, Joyon on Idec trimaran had his tack of furler getting free too).

And what a moronic comments the lasts days of a few here, but that is normal.

Instead of looking here more for information, it became less :) But I made some weird comments too, it happens in 74 days..

But thanks for all the guys and girls sharing the good stuff.

Now which boat would I like to sail on, BP or HB...

HB, i like the sexy look.

Cut him some slack. He was under a lot of pressure, might have become the eternal 2nd, with la grande nation watching and all, because the S Atlantic weather played it to the incredibly tough guy in a (multiply) wounded boat behind him. No wonder he cracked when the reporter mentioned stress. Great guy. What a race, especially the last part up the Atlantic.

Congratulations ALC.... Well done and well deserved.......

But according to forss's tracker, ALC still hasn't finished???? 24.5nm to be precise and at just under 10 knots VMG, that is at least another two and a half hours to go...... So how much (official) tactical bullshit and non information including AIS has been going on for the last few days????

I recall when ALC finished 2nd last time. During the immediate post-race interview he was being congratulated on the close battle and finishing second and he said, "But no one remembers who came second" with a very despondent tone.

It's been a lot of fun to tune in each day and watch everyone's progress. I was rooting for Alex, but not against Armel or anyone else. Congrats to Armel on the win and new record. I assume Alex will be back.

Congratulations ALC.... Well done and well deserved.......

But according to forss's tracker, ALC still hasn't finished???? 24.5nm to be precise and at just under 10 knots VMG, that is another two and a half hours to go...... So how much (official) tactical bullshit and non information including AIS has been going on for the last few days????

I agree. This is a black eye to organizers who say one thing, but do another. One hour updates my ass and I also agree with Staysail that it is damn interesting an AIS system rumored to not work all of a sudden appears at a time when I truly doubt the skipper was effecting repairs. It is a sign of disrespect to the many thousands of people watching from the distance. I remember with the VOR how exciting it was to see the boats pop up as they neared a shore line and how it kept interest going.

bad form Vendee Globe, bad form.

I'm not sure how you can guarantee that. But I will buy a tinfoil hat now and cry to myself as the average reception of the LSDO AIS fixed station is 3.8 NM. Shitty. I recant.

Congratulations to Armel and his team for a great achievement, and to Alex for making this edition of the VG a great race.

Agree!

I sincerely doubt that the organization limited access to ais considering the very low % of overall person interested and even aware of the existence of an AIS tracking.

... and a huge, huge thank you to forss, Herman and others for the software, hard work and insights that have made this race a pleasure to follow.

And 4 boats haven't even rounded Cape Horn...

Yann up to 4th!

They keep pushing back the restart time for the live coverage on the youtube channel.

Whats the problem? Fireworks, I mean tide not ready yet?

WetHog

They keep pushing back the restart time for the live coverage on the youtube channel.

Whats the problem? Fireworks, I mean tide not ready yet?

WetHog

Still 10 minutes for the tide to rise

Edit and/or the pyrotechnics

Edited by Herman

This race was really competitive, and especially thanks to AT's performance.

Congrats to ALC, this is well deserved!

Considering that the next edition will be in 2020(/1), the VG org should now consider another approach to deliver live information feed.

They have gone a long way with the website in the last editions but when I recently heard an interview with the VG-whatever-something director, I felt the bloke was stuck back in the 90s. I don't think they realised yet that there is a great opportunity to bring international sponsors into play. With all due respect to the local county/region and sandwich makers, they now need to open to international sponsors and provide English and non EU timezones quality feeds. The virtual race result speak for themselves in terms of geo exposure!

The fat lady is into her final warmup.

Well done to both armel and Alex for probably the most awesome single handed around the world match race history has seen. Fra has beaten Eng but only just,

All the armchair experts will say Alex lost due to collision, but hey that's sailing/

Kudos to both for finishing this epic race! A pleasure to watch

Seriously how many boats need to circle BP going up the chenal ? It makes it harder to see ALC :unsure:

BTW it will be so strange to see JB live after over a month of footage silence with his comms issues ! I think he will be one of the happiest on the podium !

So, should AT keep pushing hard, put in his best possible time and minimum delta to winner, finishing around 3:30 AM local with only the die-hard fans watching, with the media opportunities all in the dark?

Or should he strike most of his sails, announce to the media and fans that he's planning to finish at 9 AM local, go sleep for 4 hours or more, with more people attending and daylight media opportunities?

So, should AT keep pushing hard, put in his best possible time and minimum delta to winner, finishing around 3:30 AM local with only the die-hard fans watching, with the media opportunities all in the dark?

Or should he strike most of his sails, announce to the media and fans that he's planning to finish at 9 AM local, go sleep for 4 hours or more, with more people attending and daylight media opportunities?

Finish the race surely! Imagine he didn't, then over night something went wrong.

He will go through that line as soon as he can.

Excellent point +1 The later would be logical however he might just wanna finish once and for all.

Yes AT will push hard to finish but not as hard as when he was chasing BP. He will rest up and come up the chenal at the next rising tide in daylight for maximum HUGO BOSS exposure :ph34r: