Everybody should watch Conrad's press release on the day of his arrival. He describes a moment when he feel overboard in the night in 30 kts of wind. How is it that there is not a single post in the main page of sailing anarchy? Is the ED dead?

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FVendeeGlobe%2Fvideos%2F10158299823990187%2F&show_text=0&width=560"width="560" height="315" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

Ed's busy, and I just got back. Conrad's team's report is on the FP and I'm doing my best to get a hold of him for a full interview, which I'll post here when done.

It would take two cycles and some resources to change that around, but the Vendee people really don't care, nor do they need to. It's a shame but until their own sponsors demand it, it won't change.

If you want to see some really depressing numbers compare video views between EN and FR versions. EN never ever wins. Shares and like tell a similar story. 6:1, 10:1, even 20:1.

That makes it quite clear why few outside FR wants to sponsor entries.

Finally, some long-awaited media recognition in NZL for Conrad:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11808362

The useless media here would rather write crap about Donald Trump, the road toll and any useless bludger around!

Sorry Sailby - I see I "cross posted"

Sorry Sailby - I see I "cross posted"

No worries. He's a cool dude alright.

It would take two cycles and some resources to change that around, but the Vendee people really don't care, nor do they need to. It's a shame but until their own sponsors demand it, it won't change.

If you want to see some really depressing numbers compare video views between EN and FR versions. EN never ever wins. Shares and like tell a similar story. 6:1, 10:1, even 20:1.

That makes it quite clear why few outside FR wants to sponsor entries.

All the same the VG dudes made a reasonable effort to cater to the English speaking world this time around. For instance their TV platform had english videos up pretty soon after the French ones, their talking heads show etc. I suspect their interaction with non French press probably still a lot to be desired but it is a chicken and egg thing where the English press have got to chase it if they have an audience for it. Most teams had good social media with good content so to some extent VG have to make some effort otherwise VG's principal sponsors will see a lot of traffic bypassing their banners.

IMOCA and VG have a bit of a shotgun wedding relationship, but all the same I would think Keith Mills who bought the marketing rights to IMOCA would also be putting pressure on the them to raise their game for the next one in 2020 as he clearly sees a lot of upside in non-French sponsorship for this class.

Peter Heerema looking like he's hove to in this storm that's hitting him now? Guessing he doesn't want to break anything before finishing. Or did he break something and he's drifting?

Peter Heerema looking like he's hove to in this storm that's hitting him now? Guessing he doesn't want to break anything before finishing. Or did he break something and he's drifting?

Christ I hope he's not broke.

With the moaning that dude was doing about his autopilot issues I'd hate to see how he'd react to a big break this close to the end.

After a wave evading manouvre Heerema is now back on course,
One of the comments was:
post-17796-0-62674600-1488270519_thumb.jpg
The following waves card we see that Pieter Heerema since this afternoon has come under
the influence of the storm that deter him from his finish. The waves are increased to eight meters.
Peter changed his course. He sent straight into the waves and sails to the wind.
On the one hand guard Heerema is passed to the storm.
But he is also likely to rate this forced because of the risk of crushers.
If hitting the boat in the flank can roll over and lose the rigging Now Way Back.
The next 24 hours, there is little change all the waves will decrease slightly as
he continues to sail this course.

The question is when Peter will focus his nose towards Les Sables.

This comment was written yesterday on facebook by Klaas Wiersma.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10155063899353827&set=a.10150585183373827.403889.721173826&type=3&theater

Now, 16 hours later, he is heading towards Les Sables d'Olonne.
Probably after surfing downwind for a while.
post-17796-0-13010800-1488270598_thumb.jpg

Not so interested in Pieter Heerema on his bucket list world cruise and his B&G etc... it is everyone else's fault except we Dutch rants ..go have a look at his tracker... recent one is quite bizzare for one of the top 6 foiler builds ...He has lost me.

I'm more interested in seeing Seb get home in one piece quite frankly in a low rent old fixed keeler that has had a lot of problems right from the beginning...but he has kept going regardless.

agree on the Pieter Heerema assessment. Surely a feat to sail around the world alone on an IMOCA, but his bad temper and especially the rants about the autopilot guy who installed it have definitely created a bad impression on the guy. Too bad for him, but he looked like the Donald Trump of the sea... a pity.

Not so interested in Pieter Heerema on his bucket list world cruise and his B&G etc... it is everyone else's fault except we Dutch rants ..go have a look at his tracker... recent one is quite bizzare for one of the top 6 foiler builds ...He has lost me.

I'm more interested in seeing Seb get home in one piece quite frankly in a low rent old fixed keeler that has had a lot of problems right from the beginning...but he has kept going regardless.

10000% agree.

I don't like the whinging that has accompanied him around- the fact that Seb was right on his tail until Australia says enough.

Seb has been very entertaining the whole way round, and in fairness to the guy has been keeping a decent pace.

Pulling hard for him.

Go Seb...your clearly not a give up guy. Hats off to you to you for not complaining about the Corinthian your on and the dramas you have experienced from the beginning.

10000% agree.

I don't like the whinging that has accompanied him around- the fact that Seb was right on his tail until Australia says enough.

Seb has been very entertaining the whole way round, and in fairness to the guy has been keeping a decent pace.

Pulling hard for him.

Pieter didn't had enough preparation time. Otherwise a relatively kid disease with his automatic

steering installation would have been solved before he started the race.

If I was being kicked out of my bed 5 times a night because of wipe-outs I wouldn't be too happy either.

He can't sail in winds above 20 knots or waves higher then 5 meters without the steering failing out on him.

I guarantee you he had the most horrible Vendee Globe of them all.

So if he succeeds in finishing:

Chapeau-300x137.jpg

Hats of for Pieter Heerema!

Under these circumstances any other man would have been heading for the nearest port.

10000% agree.

Pulling hard for him.

Pieter didn't had enough preparation time. Otherwise a relatively kid disease with his automatic

If I was being kicked out of my bed 5 times a night because of wipe-outs I wouldn't be too happy either.

He can't sail in winds above 20 knots or waves higher then 5 meters without the steering failing out on him.

Chapeau-300x137.jpg

Under these circumstances any other man would have been heading for the nearest port.

Schakel are you still living in a cardboard box opposite the train station in downtown Amsterdam??? How are you still using their free WiFi??? Anyway you should really hit on Pieter for a job when he arrives..when ever that may be, that is if your interested in working, and then wearing a clown outfit. Must be a temporary high latitude low freeboard thing happening your end...noting your country has a great history in RtW.

10000% agree.

Pulling hard for him.

Chapeau-300x137.jpg

Schakel are you still living in a cardboard box opposite the train station in downtown Amsterdam??? How are you still using their free WiFi??? Anyway you should really hit on Pieter for a job when he arrives..when ever that may be, that is if your interested in working, and then wearing a clown outfit. Must be a temporary high latitude low freeboard thing happening your end...noting your country has a great history in RtW.

Very ungentlemen behaviour like:

Insulting contestants who are strugling to get over the finishline.

Insuluting a Msc. who works at the Technical University for bum.

Photo impression of what I do:

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=180173&hl=

Insulting the Heereman family who owns, directe and manage 4 off shore construction companies.

Insulting history of one's country.

Lean back and insult some more, you armchair sailor.

Go on.. It's all role play.

Change of game: Name good efforts and good personal qualities.

Schakel,

Heerema is the rich variant of a Rimas.

And Heerema's companies of both brothers are not that nice to work for.

Trump of the sea, nice one.

Talk to his shorecrew, he hates to be wet.

Highest speed, under 20 knots, have done faster on a minitransat.

Pieter is getting screwed by you.

Off-shore construction is very hard and tough work and very well paid.

So don't complain.

Right now he takes more sea water in an hour than you've seen this year under the shower.

Be aware gentlemen, he, and many more, read all this.

Bottom line is: When your automatic steering isn't working, don't go solo ocean racing.

Just my opinion.

Pieter Heerema is a Cape Horner and a RTW sailor, which is probably much more than can be said for his detractors here on SAVG. Good on you, Pieter!

Too much complaining or not, looks like a finish in 36h or so. That will be more than some of this edition top protégés were able to deliver.

Sebastien is not going to catch him. Apropos Sebastien, how much food did he pack?

I think with Conrad's finish that made this VG edition have the most finishers ever. Also, the rate of failure was lower than in the past, even with some retirement being less than required, as discussed in this (long) thread. Could the OD elements (keel and rig) be helping here?

I think with Conrad's finish that made this VG edition have the most finishers ever. Also, the rate of failure was lower than in the past, even with some retirement being less than required, as discussed in this (long) thread. Could the OD elements (keel and rig) be helping here?

No. Reason for the low failure rate was simply the weather happened to be more favourable. Few serious storms.

Taking out the days lost to major technical drama might have finished as 17. But that would be too much fun. ;)

Damage, with 2 boats still on the course:

5 masts (incl. Conrad)

5 keels (incl. Jeff Pellet, Kito is also in this one)

1 structural failure, Thomas

1 kick up rudder, Safran

1 dali foil system, Gitana

That would be 18/30 finishing, 40% attrition. (or officially 18/29, slightly better)

No OD keel or mast failed.

Question is of course if that is because of OD, or because of more money in big teams and less wear&tear on the parts. At the end 2/6 new boats did not make the finish which is on par for the fleet.

2 more rudder problems that did not end the race.

2(?) starter motors died mid race.

All kinds of small and large drama with other things that failed. Lazy jacks, autopilots, ...

The starter failures are a little curious, especially because starters never fail. There's just no way that there was a 6.7% (2/30) failure rate on starter motors without a problem beyond the starter itself. My guess is that the problems are:

1. Undersized starters with an eye towards weight savings
  2. Contamination with carbon dust
  3. Repeated starting attempts in cold weather at low voltage

The starter failures are a little curious, especially because starters never fail. There's just no way that there was a 6.7% (2/30) failure rate on starter motors without a problem beyond the starter itself. My guess is that the problems are:

1. Undersized starters with an eye towards weight savings
  2. Contamination with carbon dust
  3. Repeated starting attempts in cold weather at low voltage

I agree there has to be a reason. Starter motors are pretty reliable these days.

Other issues could be:-

1. Are the failures common to a single engine type? Is the failure mode the same for both?

2. Getting wet with salt water. These boats get pretty wet inside and are the engines well enough protected?

3. Modern lightweight batteries. What type are they using for engine start? Can they really deliver the same cold start amps as a lead acid one? and do the boats carry a dedicated engine start battery as well as a house set?

Anyone have any answers?

Of course the real answer is Conrad Coleman. No gasoil engine, no need for a starter motor!

Maybe more a case of why a diesel engines were not starting easilly, leading to starters/solonoids getting cooked through repetition, ie water in fuel?

I assume some may have LA starting batts, not LFP for redundancy reasons, 12v engine electrics not 24v etc

Therefore alternatively might be a case of those who used LFP for starting and unlike LA, no or little voltage sag under load causing glow plug(s) to burn out, leading to starter/solonoids cooking with repetition? Problem disappears in warmer waters?

Most of the boats use Nanni 30hp diesels. I don't believe they have glow plugs. I seriously doubt any have LA start and most are probably use this SuperB or smaller.

The boats are wet inside, but I'd expect construction carbon dust to be a far bigger culprit than water.

That SuperB looks like a nice start batt. Moon larger Nanni's I have seen have glow plugs, maybe not on the smaller critters. Carbon dust pretty call though in Seb's case pretty old boat so maybe something else?

Starter motor failures are not new. It happened to Desjoyaux many moons ago.

Seb while the backmarker gets a big tick for attitude. The only one out there now and probably won't see the canal until next Thursday.

Nice podcast with Conrad on the FP. Would be cool with a follow up later this year to hear how the 2020 project is proceeding

Here is the video aboard "No Way Back" across the finish
Lots of (dutch) spectators. Flares, family and friends.
https://www.facebook.com/NoWayBackSailing/videos/1260641480639565/
After crossing the Vendée Globe finish line yesterday evening at 2126hrs UTC, the Dutch skipper Pieter Heerema entered the harbour in Les Sables d'Olonne at 0800hrs UTC this morning. He moored up at the pontoon and then went up onto the podium before giving his press conference.

celebration-with-flares-during-finish-ar

Interview over here:
http://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/audios

Good humoured, speaks french and english.

Lots of hitting things, electronics failures, but structural there is no delamination or damage on any kind.

Lots of hitting things, electronics failures, but structural there is no delamination or damage on any kind.

... and he did mention the boat is for sale. One careful owner!

... and he did mention the boat is for sale. One careful owner!

Here is a potential buyer: Ysbrand Endt

Asking if he may compete in the next Vendee Globe with The "No way back" boat.

https://www.facebook.com/zeilhelden/videos/1428163457234123/

post-17796-0-06758900-1488544846_thumb.jpg

At least he's a lot younger.

Pieter mentioned he was too old and too unexperienced with solo-sailing.

Ijsbrandt did mini transat 2015 and regulairy wins in his mini transat 758.

http://www.pro3oc.nl/tag/ysbrand-endt

Lots of (dutch) spectators. Flares, family and friends.

https://www.facebook.com/NoWayBackSailing/videos/1260641480639565/

After crossing the Vendée Globe finish line yesterday evening at 2126hrs UTC, the Dutch skipper Pieter Heerema entered the harbour in Les Sables d'Olonne at 0800hrs UTC this morning. He moored up at the pontoon and then went up onto the podium before giving his press conference.

celebration-with-flares-during-finish-ar

Interview over here:

http://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/audios

No way back nonsence....the guy is now ringing up everyone who he thinks fucked his bucket list tour....think he has B&G #1 on the speed dial. An underwhelming program.

Fair play to the guy for finishing. A lap of the planet is the lap of the planet regardless.

If the guy lawyers up as he was saying he would, I will not be very impressed.

Sebastian just has to bring her home now.

Fair play to the guy for finishing. A lap of the planet is the lap of the planet regardless.

If the guy lawyers up as he was saying he would, I will not be very impressed.

Sebastian just has to bring her home now.

He probably was in a different mindset while alone in the Indian ocean with a broken AP that he couldn't fix!

Have mixed feelings about his enterprise but you're on the money there.

If his second call would be to Conrad to back him with ca$h & boat for the next tour, now that would earn him some real kudos!

Lots of (dutch) spectators. Flares, family and friends.https://www.facebook.com/NoWayBackSailing/videos/1260641480639565/After crossing the Vendée Globe finish line yesterday evening at 2126hrs UTC, the Dutch skipper Pieter Heerema entered the harbour in Les Sables d'Olonne at 0800hrs UTC this morning. He moored up at the pontoon and then went up onto the podium before giving his press conference.celebration-with-flares-during-finish-ar

Interview over here:http://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/audios

No way back nonsence....the guy is now ringing up everyone who he thinks fucked his bucket list tour....think he has B&G #1 on the speed dial. An underwhelming program.
Are you jealous Jack??? Give the guy a break. He still is a member of a pretty exclusive club, and he did it first time, the hard way with no reliable AP, even if it was user error...... He obviously was not sufficiently experienced or prepared, and he might not be on the planet he just went around single handed in four years time.

Yeah I'm really jealous..I want that idiots boat as I think it is a cracker...not as though it has been worn out either.

Meanwhile go the Seb machine...when he finishes late next week the peoples of le Sables then have to go back to work.

Seb doing 15 knots over the ground now- don't think I ever saw Pieter hit that! He's making the old girl fly at the moment

Seb doing 15 knots over the ground now- don't think I ever saw Pieter hit that! He's making the old girl fly at the moment

According to Vendee's official stats, Pieter's best 24 hours was a 16-knot average to do 385 nm on January 28. So he exceeded that for a full 24-hour average.

Seb's best 24-hour average thus far is 14 kts on 1/13 for a total of 335. Would be great to see him exceed 335 in the next 24 hours, though. I like him and would love to see him finish strong.

I don't think Seb and Pieter should be compared, though. Totally different programs, boats, sailors, and goals. I just pulled these stats because the comment made me curious.

http://www.saily.it/node/12143

Interview with Andrea Mura, former owner of (Vento di Sardegna) No way back: ''I would push her to the max, she was the fastest of the fleet'' and ''TjV toghether with Hereema?''

Interview with Andrea Mura, former owner of (Vento di Sardegna) No way back: ''I would push her to the max, she was the fastest of the fleet'' and ''TjV toghether with Hereema?''

"She was fastest on the fleet" is not as silly as it sounds in the breeze band this race was. I hope the Dutchman donors it to someone young, keen, talented but has no money who can prove exactly that...It has after all still got the shrink-wrap on it after this cruise.

"She was fastest on the fleet" is not as silly as it sounds in the breeze band this race was. I hope the Dutchman donors it to someone young, keen, talented but has no money who can prove exactly that...It has after all still got the shrink-wrap on it after this cruise.

What do you mean by that Jack?

Is No Way Back optimised for different breeze than the other foilers?

What do you mean by that Jack?

Is No Way Back optimised for different breeze than the other foilers?

Tea my guess is No Way Back was optimised for mid-range by Andrea Mura and which is exactly the conditions this edition threw up and as opposed to most of the other foilers which were more extreme at either end, soft or heavy, but middle not so good, particularly HB and BP. Conditions history and course by the way supports the heavy/light not a mid range setup. However this edition was different being softer in the Southern Ocean and stronger in the rest and first Atlantic leg in particular.

My guess is that is the frustration Andrea Mura is feeling and articulating now...The old orange guy purchased a superb mid range foiler but he didn't capitalise on that for the actual race conditions..let alone even get it into first gear.

IMHO No Way Back is a superb platform going forward and arguably more so than any other foiler if money is an object.

Ring ring...Pieter I have told you once and I will tell you again..you give me the boat and if I beat Riches time as the oldest I don't pay otherwise I or my estate (if I do a Crowhurst) owe you Euro 4 million.

^Adventurous vid.
post-17796-0-44353400-1488953271_thumb.jpg
Meanwhile, less then 2 days to go for Sébastian Destremeau.
And that is the end of this Vendee Globe 2016.
I liked this episode very much,
The battle between Alex Thompson and Armel l'Cleach.
The Heerema strugle, Colmans adventure.
Great stuff. Again in 2020...

Would Seb had not done his complete check up before the Pacific (when he stopped in Tasmania), Heerema would have finished last, which would for sure have been a first in terms of being last with a last generation boat in a VG ! :)

Would Seb had not done his complete check up before the Pacific (when he stopped in Tasmania), Heerema would have finished last, which would for sure have been a first in terms of being last with a last generation boat in a VG ! :)

If Heerema didn't have B&G problems he would have been much faster...

I liked this episode very much,...

The Heerema strugle,...

Yep that stroogle had me on the edge of my chair for 4 months.

Stroogle ? Is that like an antipodean version of a womble? :)

Yes, also true ...

(plus he had some medical issues at some point if I remember well)

When he got "en vrac" at almost 90° angle, around 2:37 or 2:49 , it's really impressive (and also the will/calm to film himself in this situation), what was the exact reason again ? (and it happened to him several times), due to the fire ? Lack of electricity, issue with the AP ?

Hope he gets a great boat for the next one.

You might be more accurate to say he had installation/tuning problems. Same hardware did very well on other boats.

You might be more accurate to say he had installation/tuning problems. Same hardware did very well on other boats.

You must be kidding. B&G is pretty bad hardware wise. I have replaced 50% of B&G H5000 equipment under warranty period on my boat.

Other boats also had B&G problems.

You must be kidding. B&G is pretty bad hardware wise. I have replaced 50% of B&G H5000 equipment under warranty period on my boat.

Some failures is pretty normal for any form of electronics and no matter the brand for a 3/4 month race over a pretty demanding course hence most teams put a lot of work into that before they cross the start. I would be interested to see your B&G other boats problem list? I don't recall anything extraordinary?

Some failures is pretty normal for any form of electronics and no matter the brand for a 3/4 month race over a pretty demanding course hence most teams put a lot of work into that before they cross the start. I would be interested to see your B&G other boats problem list? I don't recall anything extraordinary?

+1, agree.

And VG means "sans assistance", you have to be able to fix it yourself. I think most VG sailors learn to fix their own autopilots and other electronics (in a pretty hostile environment for such things), over a period of some years racing in events like Figaro, Mini-transat, etc. so they think it is normal to have to fix things or sail without (!) and don't complain much when things go wrong.

On a bright side, looks like Seb might arrive on a Friday afternoon in sunshine and at the top of the tide with a bit of luck. I am sure the Canal will be completely crowded out for him.

I really love this guy ...Must admit I took little notice after he pulled into Tassie for a fix until recently. Staysail he looks to have maybe missed the tide up the Canal for a daylight flare number. I'm sure them le Sablelites will still come out for him either way no matter the time.

He will come in the Canal around 1pm tomorow Saturday (tide window missed for tonight), will probably be loaded with people for the Canal tomorow

I really love this guy ...Must admit I took little notice after he pulled into Tassie for a fix until recently. Staysail he looks to have maybe missed the tide up the Canal for a daylight flare number. I'm sure them le Sablelites will still come out for him either way no matter the time.

+1. Yes the Forss tracker's wind prediction was a bit optimistic seeing the real conditions he had in that video. No matter. A night finish is always the more spectacular even if 4 o'clock in the morning is a bit of an unfortunate time for the next high, but if he waits outside overnight there will be even more folk out there tomorrow!

Congratulations, Sébastien.

Congratulations, Sébastien.

^ +1 Well done, It took some efford, missing his family while being last and lonely in a world race.

But, he made it. Pfff what a relief.

finish-arrival-of-sebastien-destremau-fr

I had never heard of him before the race. I have to admit that I found him a little bit "cheesy" at the beginning, with his "welcome to the office" gimmick on each video, etc. But I have now an immense admiration for the guy. His videos became more sincere, I think. Less of a show and more of a share. He displayed what he was going through, less edited.

And he finished. And as he explains below, nobody will ever be able to take that away from him: he did it!

Congratulations!

Vendee Globe is for mentally deranged people.

It is so difficult there is no word for it.... You see for me, there are several levels.

First there is this humongous pressure to finish; you have this pressure on you all the time, night and day, because it can stop at anytime, and it is really hard to cope with it. Then you have immediate challenges, which can be extremely hard, but you manage. And then you have loneliness... This loneliness generates feelings and emotions that you cannot find anywhere else. Maybe because somewhere else, you cannot afford those feelings. On a boat, when you are alone, you can allow yourself all feelings. You can sing if you feel like singing. You can cry if you feel like crying.

Between Cape of Good Hope and Cape Horn, I cried everyday.

Everyday.

Like a kid.

Everyday, end of the afternoon, I would think of one thing or another, and I would cry, that's all.

But that's OK to do that; because you are alone.

But what really floored me during this race is that you leave port,, with yourself and your boat and what you have on board. And for 124 days, or 75 days, it doesn't matter, you have to make good with what you have. You have no choice, you have to find solutions.

When you break your engine starter, you have to find a solution. When you break your last alternator belt, you find a way with what you have on board; otherwise, you go home.

It is super simple: either you find a solution or you go home. So it is just a little bit tough...

Since you do not have a choice, you find untapped resources, out of this world. I am not a good mechanic; I am not really good at anything, but in the meantime, I fixed this boat, I did some carbon fiber repair up the mast when I needed to, I took stuff apart, I fiddled with starters, I don't know how, I don't know how I manage it! I have no clue!

I am not a solo racer. Not at all, I have never wanted to do solo racing, It is not my cup of tea!

On the other hand, the Vendee Globe.... The tremendous difficulty of the Vendee Globe, this is what motivated me.

It is not difficult to do Les Sables d'Olonne - Les Sable d'Olonne... But on the other hand, what is difficult is to do it for 4 months,.. sailing in those seas down south over there... in forgotten seas: you don't want to go there, there is no need to go there... there is nothing over there! That's what I wanted to do; to see if I could do it. So for me, today, it is a huge victory; a huge victory for me! I made it!

The Vendee Globe, you win it, or you finish it. That's it, The rest is just words. For the winner, it is a fabulous race, and I have a limitless admiration for Armel and what he has done.Why? Not only because he won, but because he was the ultra favorite; he had a fucking huge target on his back. Everybody wanted to beat him. And he went there, and he delivered. hats off; royal, great...

But hey, what happened behind him? And what happened so he piled on 50 days on me. FIFTY DAYS!!! It is absolutely incredible, no? We left at the same time! Shit! I must have not sailed very well... But at least, I finished... I still sailed better than those who did not finished...

For the people following the race, the Vendee Globe lasts 4 months, but for us it lasted 4 years. The race itself is only a small part; that's the visible part, though. But there is a lot of things going on upstream. So finishing the race today, it is a humongous pride that I share with the public, but it is mine. Between the 6th of November and today, this pride is mine, because I am the one who did it, with my little muscles, and with my laughs, and with my cries...

I love how this experience brought out the poet in Seb and Conrad, among others.

I enjoyed his cheesy humor the whole time. I liked the video that showed him enjoying his coffee sitting on deck on a sunny day moving well with a nice breeze, just a simple and pure moment, the essence of the pleasure of sailing.

Finally the English version...timed his finish perfectly for big canal turnout. The key comes out for the last time to close this edition.

What a great finishing speech Seb just gave! Hat's off to him and his unbounded spirit of 'just go' and do your best.

I had never heard of him before the race. I have to admit that I found him a little bit "cheesy" at the beginning, with his "welcome to the office" gimmick on each video, etc.

Never saw Destopnews? That's where the ''welcome to the office'' is from :)

https://www.youtube.com/user/DestremauSailingTV

Well, this has been one of the finest races and threads I´ve been following from my armchair and there have been quite a lot. Many thanx to you all :) :) :D

Seb is an absolutely class act- I really enjoyed his race, and that speech at the end demonstrates it perfectly.

Wonder if FaceOcean will finally be put into retirement or does she have one more adventure left in her?

What a great finishing speech Seb just gave! Hat's off to him and his unbounded spirit of 'just go' and do your best.

You should hear this as well, great tribute to Riou and Le Cam from Destremeau

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o326BkcShpU&feature=youtu.be

Sarcasm? Fake news? Not sure what tribute means here, as his position is far from that. He seems to say Riou only won because of a problem with Desjoyeaux (?) and out of 4 Vendee Globes has only finished one. As for Le Cam, he doesn't exist and not worth mentioning his name. He even says it is about time Riou tried doing something other than the Vendée Globe and Le Cam is someone he doesn't want to know.

Sarcasm? Fake news? Not sure what tribute means here, as his position is far from that. He seems to say Riou only won because of a problem with Desjoyeaux (?) and out of 4 Vendee Globes has only finished one. As for Le Cam, he doesn't exist and not worth mentioning his name. He even says it is about time Riou tried doing something other than the Vendée Globe and Le Cam is someone he doesn't want to know.

!?!?!?! interview .... Sad !

!?!?!?! interview .... Sad !

Sleep deprivation is no good for your brain!