• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Editor

it gives you wings

66 posts in this topic

It's a canting keel, and someone finally figured out that you might as well attach the fucking daggerboards to the damn thing.

Oh God! I hope it's not some variant of DSS Foils!

First answer - Red Bull

Second answer - "All In"

It's a canting keel, and someone finally figured out that you might as well attach the fucking daggerboards to the damn thing.

It does seem like a simple solution to a complex problem, I'll be interested to see if it actually works in the real world.

Great idea. Would take a lot of learning to get it to perform. Or leaning eh!

All wrong, it's ... it's ... it's ... it's

post-16422-0-25781600-1377075350_thumb.jpg

CLEAN, the submarine drone !

I love Facebook ;-)

..,going to be replaced after the first trials?

Treading the fine line between genius and stupidity can be a risky business.

anti-whale torpedo, sonar scans for whales in the boats path, auto launch no more whale worries.

All wrong, it's ... it's ... it's ... it's

attachicon.gifclean.jpg

CLEAN, the submarine drone !

I love Facebook ;-)

Oh, maybe I should have said, Complex solution to a simple problem.

It does seem like a simple solution to a complex problem, I'll be interested to see if it actually works in the real world.

take a look at the pictures on FB and tell me what's simple about a keel with more moving parts than the steering system on your car. Based on recent AC "results," I'm sure there's nothing here that could possibly fail. catastrophically. at all.

BULB FLAPS.... first invented in the early 70's for heavy displacement racing yachts.The flaps were connected to an early version of a personal computer (this is also why they were "heavy displacement racing yachts")as this personal computer was said to be upwards of 1256kg!.. It's job was to make very fast calculations (up to 1 every other second!) and adjust the "bulb flaps" to he new correct angle of attack.Then assuming you are still reading ...i don't know.

If you're going to send me a shaw 650, please ship it fast so I can use it for PHRF NE's and possibly get rejected by some yacht clubs on the East Coast.

I think Dovell did a couple of other boats using the wings for lateral resistance when the keel was canted. 10-15 years ago? Brilliant then and brilliant now if it eliminates one or two daggerboards.

On the face book page they say it is a chanting keel - Gregorian or Gallician Chant?

Shaolin

Andy Dovell modified Sydney 36 for Ian Murray's wife.

That's the Ronco all-in-one lobster trap hauler and whale filleting tool. A must for every boat. But wait there's more, order now and get a free can of Hair-In-A-Can.

Adjustable wings, Counter rotating bulb, Canting Keel with a lifting fin mechanism..

What could possibly go wrong.... Seems good on paper, right?

Or is it just a joke to Mock all the recent Wild Oats mods/turning it into a swiss army knife?

AC 35

Drag Queen: a monohull that wants to be a multihull, but can't be and is less effective. Drag Queen.

(apply to all canting keel boats.)

It is a the newest family of CIA underwater drones.

It's the new foiling J105.

They checked off all the options from J-Boats.

Any chance of getting an SA burgee as shwag?

So, yes this keel system comes from ST. No, not DSS (which is patented). No, not a multi, nor a foiling boat, so all you clever folk writing "slow", everything is relative. Relative for example to being able to re-right at sea (unassisted). No, "All In" is not anywhere close to a name that will get you some swag. Never heard that once!

I'd say there is still some unfinished business here...

It looks like foilage to me!

Hmm!

Kuka Light vs Shaw 12 might be an interesting race

I think Dovell did a couple of other boats using the wings for lateral resistance when the keel was canted. 10-15 years ago? Brilliant then and brilliant now if it eliminates one or two daggerboards.

Andy Dovell modified Sydney 36 for Ian Murray's wife.

it is too much drag downwind

Pretty much says it all

Hmm!

Kuka Light vs Shaw 12 might be an interesting race

More than a bit OT, but yes. It depends if the Shaw 12 is really the 3.6 tonnes here or the 4.15 tonnes here. I think it will be a long time before we see these two line up.

A canting keel combined with a canting bulb. They will probably need a flight engineer.

anti-whale torpedo, sonar scans for whales in the boats path, auto launch no more whale worries.

If it works for sunfish too I'm sure Wharro will have one fitted for Hobart

If we remove the wings and the canting mechanism we should end up with a decent keel...

Someone is gonna try to 'clean up' on the plastic in central Pacific.

I'm following this guy to Hawai'i.

Should be interesting to see the downwind polars and mode changes from fully canted with both boards cranked for max leeway vs keel raised to minimize drag and the wings corkscrewed for max righting moment. Just get creative about keeping kelp clear. A keel cam?

Cool... rather see how the controls work on the boat. As for Sock Puppet and other Shaw 650s... we'll rate it at TORE...