• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
buys737

Sailing around the world in a San Juan 24

1 hour ago, Commercial Boater said:

I think Rimas has so many fans because he's an inspiration, sort of in the same way as Forrest Gump.

Think about it: he's nearly totally incompetent, with no seamanship skills, boat ownership skills, or even life skills. He has no money, isn't very smart, and is mocked relentlessly by other people. He can barely speak english and can't even hoist a sail correctly, much less head to windward.

Yet despite that he's managed to sail drift thousands of miles on the open ocean, has been to many different tropical paradises and other beautiful locales, and has a network of caring people who help and facilitate his journey. Say what you will about his "benefactors", but it's a touch inspiring that the good graces of kind people allow someone like Rimas to do what he does. If Rimas can be an ocean voyager, almost anyone can.

I'm not sure I agree with the "almost" there at the end.

I think the Bumfuzzle couple aggravated people by proving that anyone can do it. Rimas takes that to a whole new level. It turns out that absolutely no level of seamanship skill is necessary to be a world voyager. And a relentlessly happy one too.

2 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

I think the Bumfuzzle couple aggravated people by proving that anyone can do it. Rimas takes that to a whole new level. It turns out that absolutely no level of seamanship skill is necessary to be a world voyager. And a relentlessly happy one too.

you are assuming Rimas is happy. I have my doubts about that.

He reminds me of people i have met with maybe dementia that seem fine sometimes but can't do much of anything because they can't remember what it was they were doing or how to go about it if they do remember. Like Rimas they can't work or do much of anything even simple things like cleaning. You can get them to start doing things like maybe scrubbing the deck but they either forget what they are doing and wander off or they keep scrubbing the same spot never moving.

11 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Is there not a difference between world voyaging and world floating? Seems to me that Rimas simply floats wherever the currents may take him. I would guess a sailboat is a pretty good choice for floating around. Being more hydrodynamic than a power boat. Plus the illusion of sailing.

Then again, I am new to the "Rimas Watch" group.

"Stragling with calms usemmes squlls only honr. Min calms honrs"
June 15, 2017 20:15:15 GMT
3.8858°N, 155.4904°W

It's progressively more difficult to understand him.   Sometimes a heartfelt sympathy starts creeping in for me, and this is one of those times.

12 hours ago, RKoch said:

12 miles in past 15+ hours.

That rate puts him about three weeks from a reasonable towing distance to Kiribati.

16 minutes ago, benwynn said:

Sometimes a heartfelt sympathy starts creeping in for me, and this is one of those times.

Don't let Rimass know,,, he'd milk it for all he can! :lol:

20 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

" ... the driftathon many believe."

To be fair, the only folks who really and truly believe this is a driftathon are ... wait for it: THE FOLKS WHO HAVE READ AND FOLLOWED THE THREAD.  

What you captains-come-lately don't get is that this idiot has done this exact same thing several times, being rescued or towed each and every fucking time, for a total of, IIRC, more than 5,000 miles over several years, including this exact, more or less, same track 2 or so years ago when he was towed into AM Samoa after unsuccessfully attempting to sail a short distance upwind. He survived the heat then, as now. His previous boats, both SJ24s, were arguably much less comfortable than his current 30ftr. He didn't have a main the last time and it appeared that the jib was hoisted upside down. Kinda. Sorta.

All the other posts that make little or no sense to YOU, sir, are references to the many (17,200 and counting) posts that refer to earlier voyages or other foibles of Rimas, the cockroach of the sea.

He is ultimately one tough albeit stupid motherfucker or simply crazy as many of us believe.

Dude, I've been here five years longer than you and been along for the ride for this entire thread as it evolved, and the Reid sailing/driftathon started by Motorcycle before that. I'm completely familiar with the story, I just continue to struggle to understand exactly what is happening on that boat. I don't think I am alone.

4 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

Dude, I've been here five years longer than you and been along for the ride for this entire thread as it evolved, and the Reid sailing/driftathon started by Motorcycle before that. I'm completely familiar with the story, I just continue to struggle to understand exactly what is happening on that boat. I don't think I am alone.

Only a noob could think there's a reasonable explanation.

11 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

Dude, I've been here five years longer than you and been along for the ride for this entire thread as it Devolved, and the Reid sailing/driftathon started by Motorcycle before that. I'm completely familiar with the story, I just continue to struggle to understand exactly what is happening on that boat. I don't think I am alone.

fixerated for accuracy. :mellow:

29 minutes ago, benwynn said:

That rate puts him about three weeks from a reasonable towing distance to Kiribati.

Apology for nit-picking, but he's already in Kiribati. That is an island republic stretching across a swath of Pacific, which includes the Gilbert Islands, Phoenix Islands, and Line Islands.

You probably are referring to Kiritimati, which is an Island in the Line Islands group, and is part of the Republic of Kiribati. In Gilbertese, "ti" is "s"....Kiritimati is the island known as Christmas Island. By rough guess, Rimas is about 165 miles from Kiritimati, which is SW of him (1deg52min N, 157deg24minW). He's been sailing generally due S, IDK exactly how much he might get set W by current. If he sailed for Kiritimati, he might be within towing distance in 6 days, + or -. If he continues South, he'll pass about 120 miles E of Kiritimati.

To paraphrase....

Otto von Bismarck

“God has a special providence for fools, drunkards, and Rimas Meleshyus.

Otto von Bismarck

10 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

Only a noob could think there's a reasonable explanation.

True, there is no rational explanation for Rimas. All that can be accurately predicted is that he won't ever sail upwind, and he won't lift a finger  to do work even if it's to his own benefit.

27 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

I'm completely familiar with the story, I just continue to struggle to understand exactly what is happening on that boat. I don't think I am alone.

I agree. I've been here since the beginning (and thru Reid and Hotrod.)

• The sun comes up and Rimas wakes up from his peaceful or fitful sleep, we don't know which.
  • How many minutes or hours pass before he decides to set some sail?
  • What is he doing in the mean time between waking and raising sail?
  • Once some semblance of sail is up by whatever means he can dream up on the spot, what does he do now?

In my imagination, he just sits in the cockpit with that thousand-yard-stare, gazing off into the void, mind as blank as a cucumber.

But that's just my imagination. Nobody knows "exactly what is happening on that boat." At best, it's casual forensics based on the few snippets of evidence we get. This is why this thread tends to latch onto a concept (masturbation, dead fish torture, rotten oatmeal, etc.) and replay it in ever-changing variations.

Like RKoch says, we know only a handful of facts about Rimas: he won't ever sail upwind, and he won't lift a finger to do work. I'll add to that: He enjoys bragging about himself and he begs everyone who will listen for money, boat stuff, and/or manual labor.

Just now, Somebody Else said:

I agree. I've been here since the beginning (and thru Reid and Hotrod.)

• The sun comes up and Rimas wakes up from his peaceful or fitful sleep, we don't know which.
  • How many minutes or hours pass before he decides to set some sail?
  • What is he doing in the mean time between waking and raising sail?
  • Once some semblance of sail is up by whatever means he can dream up on the spot, what does he do now?

In my imagination, he just sits in the cockpit with that thousand-yard-stare, gazing off into the void, mind as blank as a cucumber.

But that's just my imagination. Nobody knows "exactly what is happening on that boat." At best, it's casual forensics based on the few snippets of evidence we get. This is why this thread tends to latch onto a concept (masturbation, dead fish torture, rotten oatmeal, etc.) and replay it in ever-changing variations.

Like RKoch says, know only a handful of facts about Rimas: he won't ever sail upwind, and he won't lift a finger to do work. I'll add to that: He enjoys bragging about himself and he begs everyone who will listen for money, boat stuff, or manual labor.

Spot on. When he's awake and 'sailing' I think he just zones out with his mind blank, until it pops into his mind to send a DeLorme message.

21 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

" ... the driftathon many believe."

To be fair, the only folks who really and truly believe this is a driftathon are ... wait for it: THE FOLKS WHO HAVE READ AND FOLLOWED THE THREAD.  

What you captains-come-lately don't get is that this idiot has done this exact same thing several times, being rescued or towed each and every fucking time, for a total of, IIRC, more than 5,000 miles over several years, including this exact, more or less, same track 2 or so years ago when he was towed into AM Samoa after unsuccessfully attempting to sail a short distance upwind. He survived the heat then, as now. His previous boats, both SJ24s, were arguably much less comfortable than his current 30ftr. He didn't have a main the last time and it appeared that the jib was hoisted upside down. Kinda. Sorta.

All the other posts that make little or no sense to YOU, sir, are references to the many (17,200 and counting) posts that refer to earlier voyages or other foibles of Rimas, the cockroach of the sea.

He is ultimately one tough albeit stupid motherfucker or simply crazy as many of us believe.

maslow's hierarchy of needs five stage pyramide Rimas occupies the lowest rung on Maslows theorum 

He obviously has "Esteem needs:"

Jeeze, just ask him! For a Starbucks card, he'll natter on until your ears fall off about all his heroic accomplishments.

20 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:

He obviously has "Esteem needs:"

Jeeze, just ask him! For a Starbucks card, he'll natter on until your ears fall off about all his heroic accomplishments.

...and will do so for as long as it keeps workin.... why change a 'winning' game!? :mellow: 

23 minutes ago, Caferacer59 said:

maslow's hierarchy of needs five stage pyramide Rimas occupies the lowest rung on Maslows theorum 

With apologies to Schrödinger's cat, he might either be here/there or anywhere or not.  Who knows, and honestly, who cares.

http://nerdist.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Dead-or-ALive-3-image.jpg

42 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Apology for nit-picking, but he's already in Kiribati. That is an island republic stretching across a swath of Pacific, which includes the Gilbert Islands, Phoenix Islands, and Line Islands.

You probably are referring to Kiritimati, which is an Island in the Line Islands group, and is part of the Republic of Kiribati. In Gilbertese, "ti" is "s"....Kiritimati is the island known as Christmas Island. By rough guess, Rimas is about 165 miles from Kiritimati, which is SW of him (1deg52min N, 157deg24minW). He's been sailing generally due S, IDK exactly how much he might get set W by current. If he sailed for Kiritimati, he might be within towing distance in 6 days, + or -. If he continues South, he'll pass about 120 miles E of Kiritimati.

Yes, Kiritimati is what I was referring to. By your latest figures, he's doing about .8 kts.  If consistent, that does put him in the vicinity of 6 days.  Interestingly, I screwed up a very basic calculation, but given this is Rimas I sorta just saw three weeks as reasonable.  Didn't even question it. 

And now that I think of it, he has blown even the most conservative estimates I have made so far, he may very well be three weeks out. 

28 minutes ago, BrickTopHarry said:

Does he still simply drop his sails when he goes to sleep at night?  i doubt he ever learned to heave to.

Sometimes he drops his sails, sometimes not. His sail trim...sometimes he sheets to windward, sometimes he sheets to leeward, sometimes he hoists the sails upside down. It's all pretty random, and he likely can't tell the difference. So, if he's ever actually 'hove to' it's probably by sheer accident. 

30 minutes ago, benwynn said:

Yes, Kiritimati is what I was referring to. By your latest figures, he's doing about .8 kts.  If consistent, that does put him in the vicinity of 6 days.  Interestingly, I screwed up a very basic calculation, but given this is Rimas I sorta just saw three weeks as reasonable.  Didn't even question it. 

And now that I think of it, he has blown even the most conservative estimates I have made so far, he may very well be three weeks out. 

Yes...he may get tired of the work of sailing, drop his sails, and just float around for a while. Could be a couple weeks.

Rimas
Jun 16, 20172:25:30 PM

Eorry for the mistakes my eys not good no glasses. I wish you the best to everyone on jacebook around the world 
Speed: 3.11 mph Course: SSE
Elevation: 14.34 ft. Batt: Normal
Lat: 3.300351 Lon: -155.375218

Our man is screaming his way toward....  Alaska?

BTW, there is NOTHING about Rimas in the "2017 Race too Alaska" thread. Go figure.

1 hour ago, TheDragon said:

1 hour ago, TheDragon said:

I just continue to struggle to understand exactly what is happening on that boat. I don't think I am alone.

Dragon, its pretty simple to explain. Here is what is going on most of the time: Rimas sits in the cockpit staring off at nothing in particular. Eat, Delorme,  go to sleep. Repeat.

While most people would be driven mad by this behavior, Rimas is comfortable with it.

2 minutes ago, Bull City said:

Our man is screaming his way toward....  Alaska?

Via Antarctica. I'd take that 3 kn speed with a grain of salt. He's covered 30 miles in past 22 hours, which is picking up the pace a bit but still way under 3 knots. That might be speed over a few minutes, but not an average over extended period.

1 hour ago, RKoch said:

If he sailed for Kiritimati, he might be within towing distance in 6 days, he might end up in Alaska!

FIFY

Just now, Captain Bligh said:

Dragon, its pretty simple to explain. Here is what is going on most of the time: Rimas sits in the cockpit staring off at nothing in particular. Eat, Delorme,  go to sleep. Repeat.

While most people would be driven mad by this behavior, Rimas is comfortable with it.

Except for a lack of Starbucks, it's pretty much his life ashore. 

1 hour ago, Captain Bligh said:

1 hour ago, RKoch said:

Except for a lack of Starbucks, it's pretty much his life ashore. 

....Don't ferget that everlovin chicken :mellow:

3 hours ago, Caferacer59 said:

Maslows theorum works for normal humans and assumes the subject is actively seeking these basic needs. Rimas has never done that he simply sits and others provide for him. He dosen't go shopping, others shop for him and deliver the items and most likely stow them for him as well. There are a couple of pictures of him in stores accompanying the provisioner. There is no evidence I have seen or read of Rimas seeking food just of him begging and do gooders providing.

56 minutes ago, RKoch said:

18 Nm in past 9 hours is respectable progress for "Mr Floatie".  

Fixed.

2 hours ago, RKoch said:

18 Nm in past 9 hours is respectable progress for Rimas.  

2 knots.

That's pretty close to his average since departing Hawaii. He's 1000 miles out after just over three weeks.

59 minutes ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

2 knots.

That's pretty close to his average since departing Hawaii. He's 1000 miles out after just over three weeks.

I'm not sure Rimas can handle all that speed. Something's gotta give. A walking pace is as fast as his brain can assimilate and process information.

On 6/16/2017 at 10:20 PM, softdown said:
On 6/16/2017 at 11:12 AM, Uncooperative Tom said:

Is there not a difference between world voyaging and world floating? Seems to me that Rimas simply floats wherever the currents may take him. I would guess a sailboat is a pretty good choice for floating around. Being more hydrodynamic than a power boat. Plus the illusion of sailing.

Then again, I am new to the "Rimas Watch" group.

Some of us pick a destination, plot a course, and sail there in a reasonably efficient fashion for the type of vessel we've chosen, arriving most of the time at the previously planned destination.

Others drift on the rides and currents with the broken chunks of Styrofoam and discarded tampon applicators, and wash up where they will.

36 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

Some of us pick a destination, plot a course, and sail there in a reasonably efficient fashion for the type of vessel we've chosen, arriving most of the time at the previously planned destination.

Others drift on the rides and currents with the broken chunks of Styrofoam and discarded tampon applicators, and wash up where they will.

How CONVENIENT that you should retire as a mod within three weeks of our hero departing HI.

I'm sure that you discovered that the little-known mod tracker feature here enabled anyone to locate you anywhere in the world.

Very clever of you to have realized this.

Having said that, enjoy your extra time and hopefully you won't be a stranger 

Sail on Man.

20 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

Pretty sure those tampons are useful for world record setting, Alaska bound, Cape Horners, Mr. Porter...http://www.artofmanliness.com/2012/06/05/survival-tampon/

Very useful article, I do hope his benefactors picked up a box or two for him at Costco.

5 hours ago, RKoch said:

35 miles in past 24 hours. He's really hooning. Hang on, Rimas...don't lose control!

Who did he catch a tow from?

so far, he is just drifting/sailing to the next island chain. 

"So peace to be on the ocean my is passen my dream around the world always was. Soon kiribati island"

34 minutes ago, 6924 said:

when will He make Kiribati ??

•  kiribati island
    • June 17, 2017 18:41:30 GMT
    • 2.7641°N, 155.5444°W..."

map_kiribati.gif

I think New Zealand and Australia have pretty rigid requirements for hanging around. He better hope he doesn't wind up in either place I would think.

I have started believing the charges about gross incompetence. He is probably as happy as a clam with no critical thought capacity whatsoever.

I think BJ commented many pages ago on Aus and NZ. Aus is very strict, NZ a little less so, but both countries will have more regulations and requirements than the islands. He'll need a visa, and likely have to post a bond to make sure he doesn't sell or abandon the boat there. Neither country will welcome a freeloader. I think Rimas has a sister or relative in NZ, IDK if they would pay his fees and support him. Neither country will allow him free dockage, and he lacks adequate ground tackle and a dinghy. And there's the matter of actually reaching either country, as Rimas's lack of sailing ability may prevent him. It'll be dead of winter when he gets there, I don't think he can cope with the southerly storms. If he passes FRench Polynesia or Samoa and continues south, there's a likelyhood of him needing a rescue.

14 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

Our little cucaracha sure is making a lot of oblique pleas for free new eyeglasses!

That he didn't take care of this issue ashore is another inexplicable in a long list of them.

49 minutes ago, RKoch said:

I think BJ commented many pages ago on Aus and NZ. Aus is very strict, NZ a little less so, but both countries will have more regulations and requirements than the islands. He'll need a visa, and likely have to post a bond to make sure he doesn't sell or abandon the boat there. Neither country will welcome a freeloader. I think Rimas has a sister or relative in NZ, IDK if they would pay his fees and support him. Neither country will allow him free dockage, and he lacks adequate ground tackle and a dinghy. And there's the matter of actually reaching either country, as Rimas's lack of sailing ability may prevent him. It'll be dead of winter when he gets there, I don't think he can cope with the southerly storms. If he passes FRench Polynesia or Samoa and continues south, there's a likelyhood of him needing a rescue.

What would Australia do?   Tow him outside the environment, or arrest and feed RImas, so they could deport him, and  seize the boat?  Towing him ironically would cost Australia less then disposal of the boat and flying an indigent drifter to Hawaii.  It would also make the cockroach happy and meet our entertainment goals.   Therefore I presume it wouldn't happen.      Or will they send him to that island full of refugees and intern him?   

On 6/16/2017 at 10:14 AM, RKoch said:

I'm retracting my apology. I said he was headed to Kiribati, and that's where he now says he is going:

"So peace to be on the ocean my is passen my dream around the world always was. Soon kiribati island"

In celebrition.of my predetcive abikliies, I hace remoned my glasses fot this post. 

He will drift past Kiribati just like last time, unless he evokes the 3daysnowaternofood docking procedure.

Alaska, via Japan...get the girl, sail back to America.

26 minutes ago, benwynn said:

I'm retracting my apology. I said he was headed to Kiribati, and that's where he now says he is going:

In celebrition.of my predetcive abikliies, I hace remoned my glasses fot this post. 

I think Rimas thinks Kiribati is an island. AFAIK he still doesn't have South Pacific charts. He's been in the general waters of Republic of Kiribati for last few days...iDK their exact territorial boundaries. If he continues due south course, he won't come within 100 miles of Kiritimati, and so far he doesn't appear to be headed for it. He's just babbling about whatever notion pops up momentarily in his head....it doesn't bear any relevance to reality, and is BS intended to impress his ignorant fb fan club. 

54 minutes ago, RKoch said:

I think Rimas thinks Kiribati is an island. AFAIK he still doesn't have South Pacific charts. He's been in the general waters of Republic of Kiribati for last few days...iDK their exact territorial boundaries. If he continues due south course, he won't come within 100 miles of Kiritimati, and so far he doesn't appear to be headed for it. He's just babbling about whatever notion pops up momentarily in his head....it doesn't bear any relevance to reality, and is BS intended to impress his ignorant fb fan club. 

"Kiribati" sounds way more romantic o,n Facebook compared to "I don't know where I am going to end up."

1 hour ago, RKoch said:

[pedantic mode ]as for the pronounciation, was once on a container carrier where most of the deck crew were from Kiribatch, that's how they pronounced it themselves. [/pedantic mode]

1 hour ago, benwynn said:

"Kiribati" sounds way more romantic o,n Facebook compared to "I don't know where I am going to end up."

Exactly. It's just an act.

On 6/16/2017 at 1:26 PM, RKoch said:

Spot on. When he's awake and 'sailing' I think he just zones out with his mind blank, until it pops into his mind to send a DeLorme message.

Not very different from what I  do when sailing

"Heavy raining main sail is gone shannon knows what haping to main sail just now one jib remaining remarkable smory oj adventure"

June 18, 2017 19:30:15 GMT

Anyone else, I would take this as a broken halyard. With Rimas? The main may be literally gone. Like overboard. 

12 minutes ago, benwynn said:

..  ..  ..  main sail is gone ..  ..  ..  

He'll probably go faster now - less wind resistance.

mainsail gone likely means 

1) tattered to shreds at head from the Rimas hoist method 

2) Tattered everywhere from the Rimas 'I do. no work' method

3) dragging in water from the Rimas situational unaware always method

8 minutes ago, 6924 said:

mainsail gone likely means 

1) tattered to shreds at head from the Rimas hoist method 

2) Tattered everywhere from the Rimas 'I do. no work' method

3) dragging in water from the Rimas situational unaware always method

or

4) simply not hoisted at the moment. Rimas doesn't use language the same as the rest of the planet.

He listened to the flogging radar reflector for four daze before it flew the coop. Guessing the main has been flogging since flushing out of HI. I questioned why he needed a main in the first place.

On 6/16/2017 at 1:59 PM, BrickTopHarry said:

Does he still simply drop his sails when he goes to sleep at night?  i doubt he ever learned to heave to.

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha :lol: 

He said "learned"

FB- Doug

8 hours ago, RKoch said:

I think .... there's a likelyhood of him needing a rescue.

Funny :)  When has he NOT needed a rescue?

10 hours ago, RKoch said:

Geez, pleases correct me if i am wrong but to get to either place he will be going through some of the nastiest seas in the south pacific and he has neither the equipment or skills to deal with either. Someone needs to go net him and place him in a controlled environment potentially saving the life of one or more rescuers. What he does with his life is his business until it endangers the li8ves of others

He consistently gets rescued from his terrible decisions, which is why he is out there once again. I'm all for natural consequences from here on out. Learn to sail, plot a course, provision, and do maintenance or enjoy the results. No more rescues, free boats, or get out of jail free cards for this guy.

23 minutes ago, vjm said:

He consistently gets rescued from his terrible decisions, which is why he is out there once again. I'm all for natural consequences from here on out. Learn to sail, plot a course, provision, and do maintenance or enjoy the results. No more rescues, free boats, or get out of jail free cards for this guy.

Yep.

2 hours ago, bfloyd4445 said:

Geez, pleases correct me if i am wrong but to get to either place he will be going through some of the nastiest seas in the south pacific and he has neither the equipment or skills to deal with either. Someone needs to go net him and place him in a controlled environment potentially saving the life of one or more rescuers. What he does with his life is his business until it endangers the li8ves of others

He seems to handle the trade winds aft the beam ok, albeit at a walking pace. If he gets south of about 25deg S, he'll be getting into winter weather, won't be able to go to windward in any southerly breeze, and will get blown back north to Fiji or someplace. Unless he hails an 800 mile courtesy tow.

14 hours ago, RKoch said:

The second he drifts away from the dock there's a larger likelihood than most he'll need rescue...

Australia requires a visa before you show up - for longer than 3 months at a stretch it's a fairly involved process involving financial statements and physical exams and a couple of hundred bucks. There is a $20 AUD e-Visa program, but it's only good for visits of up to three months at a stretch, unlimited re-entry, ever a 12 month period. That doesn't require anything fancy.

New Zealand allows Americans to land without a Visa and grants three months on the spot. Extensions beyond that may require physical exams, do cost about $100 or so, and may require proof of financial capability.

Neither country makes you post a bond about abandoning the boat that I saw, but then again my financial picture is a tad different than Remus, as is my boat. Had my financials been more dodgy and not met the minimum they may have required such a thing, and/or a plan ticket out.

French Polynesia wants a plane ticket on record, or a bond. And three months only if you show up without a long term Visa.

He'd do OK in Fiji, they aren't as stringent there and don't charge too much to get in the country, and are generous with renewals.

what's all this talk of NZ and Australia?  Rimas has perfected the moochers triangle . SF , HI, and Samoa. Rimas would never jeopardize his grift.

For those who are missing the fun on FB:

Jim Furnish being 1000 miles at sea with no main sail or engine is no big deal, is it? If there isnt any wind, what good is a sail anyway?

He then posted a pic of a pair of oars.

3 hours ago, captpiratedog said:

didnt that boat have an inboard?

Give Rimas any mechanical device more complex than a shackle, and he will wreck it. 

I don't think that engine has run since his unwelcome stay in Monterey. 

4 hours ago, captpiratedog said:

didnt that boat have an inboard?

Ben is right that his engine hasn't worked in a long time.

Also, the access to the engine space has reportedly been screwed shut. So an engine and all the things about an engine that might leak have been uninspected and deteriorating for quite a while. If that goes on long enough, it will be what sinks the boat.