• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
buys737

Sailing around the world in a San Juan 24

Hey, cool ideas. I'm sure Rimas would love some help. The guy literally had $28 in his wallet when he landed in Hilo. Today I talked to a friend that works at one of the local rigging companies here in the northwest, and he's going to see about doing a complete set of standing rigging at cost. He is thinking around $600 to $800 for the whole deal. I've got to get some measurements and he has to clear with his boss, but I was thinking if it works out, we could set up an account at the rigging shop that we can contribute to and then I can also cover whatever is left on it. I'll keep you posted on that. I also like the t-shirt idea...

....yeh,,,I'll meet and raise y'all to $30(us) each.......please 'pm' me with the rigger's account or email.

I am concerned about being complicit to this guy being empowered to become fish-food,,but it really seems he'd become that anyways if that's his fate!

...does he have a proper harness?...if not we should add that on to the rigger's bill.............it'd be sad to set up the boat only for him to fall off it!!! :mellow:

...........not to mention a haul,clean,re-fowl,,and keel-check ;)

.................and perhaps a sea-anchor for good luck???

Just a reminder to everyone...

This is the same guy who got shipwrecked... in a different SJ24... in Alaska. And was rescued by the Coast Guard on our taxpayer dime.

Maybe he should pay his rescue fee to the coasties before we buy him a new set of rigging.

Now don't get me wrong, I know everyone here is buying in to the adventuresome spirit, and I give the guy credit for trying. However, I do not give the guy credit for being smart. There is a line when you should stop enabling someone to go off half cocked across an ocean. And this whole thread is rapidly approaching that line.

Hope this starts a thoughtful conversation.

This is the same guy who got shipwrecked... in a different SJ24... in Alaska. And was rescued by the Coast Guard on our taxpayer dime.

Maybe he should pay his rescue fee to the coasties before we buy him a new set of rigging.

Now don't get me wrong, I know everyone here is buying in to the adventuresome spirit, and I give the guy credit for trying. However, I do not give the guy credit for being smart. There is a line when you should stop enabling someone to go off half cocked across an ocean. And this whole thread is rapidly approaching that line.

You have apparently stumbled into the wrong website.

Since I'm Canadian, and he has no chance of landing here via oceanic currents or plate tectonics, I fully support his endeavour. I'm not giving him any money, but I will clap as he sails by.

+1

I give the guy full props for his super jumbo balls but a failing grade for everything else. He's extremely lucky to still be alive. If he continues the way he has been going it's only a matter of time until he's lost at sea.

So, what you are saying is that no one who will need rescuing should ever go sailing??

Even if they didn't plan on needing to be rescued, like oh, say Tony Bullimore, Theirry Dubois, and Isabelle Autissier, who have all been rescued by the Australian navy..

Or Abbie Sutherland, she may need some financial help??

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/family-cannot-afford-to-pay-back-teen-sailor-abby-sunderlands-rescue-costs-mother/story-e6freon6-1225879181591

Did these Americans get charged for this rescue??

http://www.gadling.com/2011/01/24/good-cell-phone-signal-rescues-five-american-sailors/

How about all these people:

http://bwsailing.com/cc/tag/rescues/

There are heaps of examples of people who have been saved at sea of all nationalities.

On the ocean it doesn't matter where you come from, you help fellow mariners in distress, it is the GOLDEN rule, and its been happening for years....

You would save more lives and money if you joined a campaign to stop people from using mobile phones while driving, or helped get more drunk drivers off the roads.

Your "faux outrage" here is commendable, and as such it should be put to a greater use, than stopping an old guy from living his dream instead of wasting away in a nursing home in front of a t.v. wondering to himself; "I wonder, I really wonder if I could have done it, but thanks to the "bleeding hearts" who want to stop me due to their own fears, I will never know", Let the rot begin.

FC22 asks a valid question, and I think HILLY answered it nicely. I'd like to add to his rebuttal by pointing out that the guy seems to be learning from his mistakes.

In addition to a little cash help to keep his rig upright, perhaps some Anarchists on Hilo could spend a little time with him, helping him plan and teaching him a little about ocean sailing before he sets off. Knowledge is as valuable as gear, and he doesn't seem like a close-minded know-it-all.

+1 to Hilly's response. Sailing needs more people like Rimas, and less people like FC22 (no offense intended). Sailing stories from my generation are nowhere near as good as the ones from guys who raced in the 70's and 80's. It was more dangerous, the boats were sketchier, and people were willing to do more with less. For better or worse, that's what got me excited about sailing. Guys like Rimas are very necessary to keep this sport alive.

Get that shirt thing going so I can put in my $20.

+1 to Hilly's response. Sailing needs more people like Rimas, and less people like FC22 (no offense intended). Sailing stories from my generation are nowhere near as good as the ones from guys who raced in the 70's and 80's. It was more dangerous, the boats were sketchier, and people were willing to do more with less. For better or worse, that's what got me excited about sailing. Guys like Rimas are very necessary to keep this sport alive.

Get that shirt thing going so I can put in my $20.

Lol...now people do very little with a hell of a lot more!

Yeah, people that have been sailing for 30 or 40 years get me pretty excited about sailing. I'm a late-comer to the scene, having started at 39 year old, so my stories are pretty bland.

So, what you are saying is that no one who will need rescuing should ever go sailing??

Even if they didn't plan on needing to be rescued, like oh, say Tony Bullimore, Theirry Dubois, and Isabelle Autissier, who have all been rescued by the Australian navy..

Or Abbie Sutherland, she may need some financial help??

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/family-cannot-afford-to-pay-back-teen-sailor-abby-sunderlands-rescue-costs-mother/story-e6freon6-1225879181591

Did these Americans get charged for this rescue??

http://www.gadling.com/2011/01/24/good-cell-phone-signal-rescues-five-american-sailors/

How about all these people:

http://bwsailing.com/cc/tag/rescues/

There are heaps of examples of people who have been saved at sea of all nationalities.

On the ocean it doesn't matter where you come from, you help fellow mariners in distress, it is the GOLDEN rule, and its been happening for years....

You would save more lives and money if you joined a campaign to stop people from using mobile phones while driving, or helped get more drunk drivers off the roads.

Your "faux outrage" here is commendable, and as such it should be put to a greater use, than stopping an old guy from living his dream instead of wasting away in a nursing home in front of a t.v. wondering to himself; "I wonder, I really wonder if I could have done it, but thanks to the "bleeding hearts" who want to stop me due to their own fears, I will never know", Let the rot begin.

I think raising money for a second rescue makes more sense than raising money for rigging. There seem to me to be some gaps in his preparation and no amount of charm or enthusiasm will fill them. Put on new rigging and most of the gaps will still be there.

I don't want to stop him, but if I want to give some money to promote sailing I'll stick to my local Community Sailing Center, thanks.

Im guessing if he gets his boat rigged and out of hawaii, he'll be some one elses problem after a week or so. (Out of uscg territory)

I think raising money for a second rescue makes more sense than raising money for rigging. *

There seem to me to be some gaps in his preparation* *

Put on new rigging and most of the gaps will still be there.***

*Ding ding ding..............

**Yeah, like boat selection.

*** Just like lipstick on a pig.

The southern ocean in that wreck?

You fuckers can't be serious.

You're like a mob looking up at someone standing alone on a high ledge and yelling "jump! jump!"

He knows fuck-all about sailing.

He knows fuck-all about boats and rigging.

He has probably had more money spent on his website than he originally invested in his boat.

When it all goes 'tits up' he makes an appeal so he can "keep the dream alive"

And you sad fucks think it's worth 25$ to keep him going !

How about this for an original idea :-

He learns about boats, rigging, navigation, weather, pilotage & all the other little details that makes a sailor in the real world and not just an armchair pilot. He then spends a little time (and some of his own money ) gaining some experience, and when he is ready he goes out into the big world and does a circumnavigation. Pays his own way and leaves a clean wake . As a bonus he then sets up a Blog to encourage or just entertain others.

But no, fuck that, it takes too long,costs too much, life is too short . So set up a website, if that doesn't work get sponsored in something else that cost you $500. Beats working for a living.

Just another Internet Ponce.

Rob

Has anyone else made the comparison of this guy to Hot Rod? HR spent every cent his family had, worked his ass off for years with the vision of sailing to Hawaii but ended up with a barge anchored very tentatively in Sausalito.

This guy spent $500 on an old SJ24, put food & water aboard, set off and is IN Hawaii.

They're both batshit crazy MoFo's but Rimas actually succeeded.

But the difference???

Look at all the anarchists on this thread who are willing to chip in $20 for Crazy Ivan.

I doubt anyone here donated to HotRod, despite his solicitations.

I"m in for at least $20... $100 if he names the boat "Crazy Ivan"

He knows fuck-all about sailing.

He knows fuck-all about boats and rigging.

He has probably had more money spent on his website than he originally invested in his boat.

When it all goes 'tits up' he makes an appeal so he can "keep the dream alive"

And you sad fucks think it's worth 25$ to keep him going !

How about this for an original idea :-

He learns about boats, rigging, navigation, weather, pilotage & all the other little details that makes a sailor in the real world and not just an armchair pilot. He then spends a little time (and some of his own money ) gaining some experience, and when he is ready he goes out into the big world and does a circumnavigation. Pays his own way and leaves a clean wake . As a bonus he then sets up a Blog to encourage or just entertain others.

But no, fuck that, it takes too long,costs too much, life is too short . So set up a website, if that doesn't work get sponsored in something else that cost you $500. Beats working for a living.

Just another Internet Ponce.

Rob

Just because that is the way you choose to do it does not mean that he has to do it that way.. There are thousands and thousands of people that chose to sail the 7 seas over recorded time that did not do it the way you describe, and frankly he just did it his way and made it, so he can raise his middle finger to anyone that says any different. This aint North Korea or china for christ sakes... Good on him for using the available technology that allows him to raise the cash or get sponsored, and yes it beats working for a living, That is the entire point.

I feel sad for your kids.. Never offering up an adventure, you must do it this way, etc etc etc.

Triviarob and BTL: you guys seem really concerned about his well being. That's it right?

No, that's not it.

Most people HATE it when someone actually does something. Most people, (especially boat owners), think they are the greatest at their particular hobby. Anyone who accomplishes something in a way that they do not agree with are completely wrong, reckless, irresponsible, stupid....After all, they could do it better.

And lets not forget the favorite argument against.... "He will have to be rescued at my expense (tax dollars)" What? You think you're going to get a big tax refund if no one needs rescuing in a year? That money is already spent.

"The rescuers will be put in harm's way". If rescue authorities don't find anyone to rescue they will throw a drill and pretend. They love that stuff. That's why they volunteered to do it. Rescue responders are on their own adventure. And guess what. They aren't paying for it themselves, they get paid to do it!

For all the pretend adventurers and armchair naysayers; Go ahead and save up your pennys for 50 years and buy the best suited equipment for your "adventure". Make sure you have every conceivable safety device and be completely prepared. Have a nice yawn....I mean adventure. Meanwhile, Rimas and the likes will be having a great time doing what they love and truly living life.

Triviarob and BTL: you guys seem really concerned about his well being. That's it right?

No, that's not it.

Most people HATE it when someone actually does something. Most people, (especially boat owners), think they are the greatest at their particular hobby. Anyone who accomplishes something in a way that they do not agree with are completely wrong, reckless, irresponsible, stupid....After all, they could do it better.

And lets not forget the favorite argument against.... "He will have to be rescued at my expense (tax dollars)" What? You think you're going to get a big tax refund if no one needs rescuing in a year? That money is already spent.

"The rescuers will be put in harm's way". If rescue authorities don't find anyone to rescue they will throw a drill and pretend. They love that stuff. That's why they volunteered to do it. Rescue responders are on their own adventure. And guess what. They aren't paying for it themselves, they get paid to do it!

For all the pretend adventurers and armchair naysayers; Go ahead and save up your pennys for 50 years and buy the best suited equipment for your "adventure". Make sure you have every conceivable safety device and be completely prepared. Have a nice yawn....I mean adventure. Meanwhile, Rimas and the likes will be having a great time doing what they love and truly living life.

I have a feeling that you may be correct CowboyKell. It's infuriating for some people to observe a man doing something they don't have the gumption to do because their own life got in the way. That they are pretending to be outraged about the tax payers or Rimas' safety is absurd.

Also I want a shirt.

Has anyone else made the comparison of this guy to Hot Rod? HR spent every cent his family had, worked his ass off for years with the vision of sailing to Hawaii but ended up with a barge anchored very tentatively in Sausalito.

This guy spent $500 on an old SJ24, put food & water aboard, set off and is IN Hawaii.

But the difference???

Look at all the anarchists on this thread who are willing to chip in $20 for Crazy Ivan.

+1!!!

But the difference???

I think he should paint the name on the bottom, too. Just so the coasties know they have the right one.

No, that's not it.

I have a feeling that you may be correct CowboyKell. It's infuriating for some people to observe a man doing something they don't have the gumption to do because their own life got in the way. That they are pretending to be outraged about the tax payers or Rimas' safety is absurd.

Also I want a shirt.

Actually, Rob and I have sailed from the UK to Malaysia in a Sadler 25 (7.4m boat). We don't have property or pensions in the UK and have worked where ever we can find work. In the next few months we are planning to head off further East. Oh and we sailed via the Med and the Red Sea and across the Indian Ocean. We don't have an EPRB coz we've never been able to afford one, we use paper charts and a hand held GPS.

Don't give a fuck about the tax payers or Rima's safety, what I do give a fuck about is the safety of the people who get called out to rescue people like him.

Tricia

Don't give a fuck about the tax payers or Rima's safety, what I do give a fuck about is the safety of the people who get called out to rescue people like him.

Tricia

I covered that angle too. It's the lamest excuse there is.

Perhaps I should add another group. People who do and have done great things but don't like the idea of less experienced people showing them up.

My point is, there is no real reason to be "anti" or negative towards anyone who goes out and does it. You may not approve but who are you?

I think ya'll are wussies for using a handheld GPS and taking the canal. (Not really, that's pretty awesome) But thats what I'm talking about. People can talk shit about your little adventure too. From your point of view they would be wrong. From Rimas' you are.

Put me down for a tee shirt, a 20 dollars donation too. I like folks who are mad enough to push the boundaries and succeed. Puts the rest of us to shame for talking about the day we are finally gonna cast off to a grand adventure.

I would hope he uses the cash for a SPOT. I'd throw another 10 for the service plus ship him a dozen batteries for the SPOT so we can follow him on our joint folly. that should us a year of entertainment and scuttlebutt.

There are conservative people who would say that you're also part of the problem by being under-prepared:

Passage making without an EPIRB.

Passage making without a liferaft (Can't afford and EPIRB, so probably can't afford a liferaft)

Passage making in a tender, 4,000lb boat not designed for the task.

Why don't you climb down from your soapbox before you get a nosebleed?

(For the record, I do not consider you under-prepared, or under-skilled. I'm merely pointing out a bit of hypocrisy)

Actually, Rob and I have sailed from the UK to Malaysia in a Sadler 25 (7.4m boat). We don't have property or pensions in the UK and have worked where ever we can find work. In the next few months we are planning to head off further East. Oh and we sailed via the Med and the Red Sea and across the Indian Ocean. We don't have an EPRB coz we've never been able to afford one, we use paper charts and a hand held GPS.

Tricia

Failure to pack enough crayons? :lol:

I once navigated using one of those restaurant placemats. It worked, too.

There were some gaps in my preparation.

There is a line between balls and suicidal. I knew a guy who sailed a Cal 20 across the Atlantic. That took balls. The boat is actually a pretty good boat for 20 feet and his boat was in decent shape. Sailing a boat that is FALLING APART is a little more on the suicidal end of the scale when talking about rounding Cape Horn. I think our low $$$ sailor might be better served getting the boat fixed up and maybe heading downwind across the Pacific in warmer waters.

Failure to pack enough crayons? :lol:

I once navigated using one of those restaurant placemats. It worked, too.

There were some gaps in my preparation.

Among other things. Finding Hawaii with a car GPS kinda reminded me of placemat navigation.

Years ago a guy sailed around the world in a Catalina 25. Shoal keel, if I recall correctly.

There will always be people that think a boat is too small, or whatever to do something. And they frequently get proved wrong.

That said, if this guy ( I don't know, haven't read too much on him) has a history of being a dumb shit and not having a profound, dread respect for the ocean, he'll be a danger to himself in any damn boat.

I knew a guy who sailed a Cal 20 across the Atlantic. . The boat is actually a pretty good boat for 20 feet and his boat was in decent shape.

Cal 20's are over ballasted, rugged little boats.

San Juans have floppy keels. Liners "glassed" in with mat and resin. Hulls delaminated forward of the chain plates. Voids in the corded deck from new. Breach the aft cockpit locker and the boat fills with seawater.

Is boat still in the water? Pics please, fo' sure if on the hard.

Was it a beat-to-shit $500 mostly dead Catalina 25?

Years ago a guy sailed around the world in a Catalina 25. Shoal keel, if I recall correctly.

There will always be people that think a boat is too small, or whatever to do something. And they frequently get proved wrong.

That said, if this guy ( I don't know, haven't read too much on him) has a history of being a dumb shit and not having a profound, dread respect for the ocean, he'll be a danger to himself in any damn boat.

Bump. This seemed a good idea to me. Any progress (said I from a nice warm desk ;-) ? I might be able to cull a few contribs from Sailnet without, of course, admitting I would ever post there.

I

Hey, cool ideas. I'm sure Rimas would love some help. The guy literally had $28 in his wallet when he landed in Hilo. Today I talked to a friend that works at one of the local rigging companies here in the northwest, and he's going to see about doing a complete set of standing rigging at cost. He is thinking around $600 to $800 for the whole deal. I've got to get some measurements and he has to clear with his boss, but I was thinking if it works out, we could set up an account at the rigging shop that we can contribute to and then I can also cover whatever is left on it. I'll keep you posted on that. I also like the t-shirt idea...

this sounds like the most practical idea, and comes from someone who knows the guy both before departure, and now. Thanks sbuys and await word.

We could call it " 'Stay' strong, Rimas" ???

If anyone is interested in donating to Rimas's adventure, I set up a fundly account for him.

https://fundly.com/rimas-around-the-world#_

Cheers!

PS..Yes this is legit and I guarantee all the funds (and more) will get to Rimas. Rimas asked me to set something up for him (even though my computer skills are probably not much better than his) I chose fundly because its easy for him to share on Facebook and easy for people to see their donations and how much has been raised.

Done! Thanks for setting this up sbuys!

Let's show the SA love for this guy... He may be a crazy bastard, but let's make him our crazy bastard.

dash

C'mon people, where's the love! :)

If anyone is interested in donating to Rimas's adventure, I set up a fundly account for him.

Cheers!

PS..Yes this is legit and I guarantee all the funds (and more) will get to Rimas. Rimas asked me to set something up for him (even though my computer skills are probably not much better than his) I chose fundly because its easy for him to share on Facebook and easy for people to see their donations and how much has been raised.

done

bumpity bump, where's the love folks.....

Bruce Kirby designed a great little boat, and I'm not talking about the Laser. :mellow:

Yeah yeah, horses for courses and I'm not talking the open ocean here.

This thread is like a buncha' drunks chirping at each other in the bar.

OK, I'll donate if the $ goes for a straight jacket.

Insouciant fuckers.

Maybe we could get Scot to donate some of the AC Anarchy funds....

Although I have some reservations, I donated $20 as promised. I sincerely hope he finds a coral atoll to spend his last days on, instead continuing south. Also I noticed he is hoping to land in the Guiness book....I can't remember ever seeing "1st to Sail Around the World in a SJ-24" as a catagory.

Cheers!

If this thread is dying (as it appears it is) maybe it's time to get this money to Rimas.

Maybe the Ed can pop it onto the front page and breathe new life into Rimas Around the World? At least there's no yoga platform on his SJ 24. I bet he didn't forget the frying pan.

All you guys referring to the many romantic great ocean passages made in the old days on undersized boats and few resources by those that put to sea with balls bigger than their brains or pocket books omit one important fact in their argument. That is mentioning the multitude of them that put to sea but failed and died a cold, terrible, lonely death. The guys that just disappeared one day with no books written about them. The ocean floor is littered with the bones of men and ships that tried before Magellan, Slocum, right up to Knox Johnson and after. This guy isn't doing anything great. He's taking a stupid calculated risk. And like Evel Knievel, Vegas oddsmakers put the chances of him landing upright on the far ramp at 50:1.

All you guys referring to the many romantic great ocean passages made in the old days on undersized boats and few resources by those that put to sea with balls bigger than their brains or pocket books omit one important fact in their argument. That is mentioning the multitude of them that put to sea but failed and died a cold, terrible, lonely death. The guys that just disappeared one day with no books written about them. The ocean floor is littered with the bones of men and ships that tried before Magellan, Slocum, right up to Knox Johnson and after. This guy isn't doing anything great. He's taking a stupid calculated risk. And like Evel Knievel, Vegas oddsmakers put the chances of him landing upright on the far ramp at 50:1.

SA, World's finest financiers of death.

As opposed to a lonely, regret-filled death in a hospital bed wondering whether life should have been more enthusiastically lived. I know which I'd choose.

We all have to die. The one thing we can control is how we lived. Some people think flying gliders is a stupid calculated risk. After all, 1.5 in 1000 glider pilots die in Canada every year. Yes, it would be way safer to stay on the ground. Not me.

But you're not asking other people to pay for it. Or the rescues. And your dead glider friends are probably not using the equivalent of a SJ 24.

Some are.

I think why we're asking people for support here is to make sure this guy leaves the dock in Hilo with a decent repair to his standing rigging, that's all.

Is a SJ 24 really worse than this?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-486190/Man-returns-round-world-pedal-boat-trip-13-years.html

dash

But you're not asking other people to pay for it. Or the rescues. And your dead glider friends are probably not using the equivalent of a SJ 24.

Some are.

I think why we're asking people for support here is to make sure this guy leaves the dock in Hilo with a decent repair to his standing rigging, that's all.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-486190/Man-returns-round-world-pedal-boat-trip-13-years.html

dash

So you legitimize it by citing someone who has done something more extreme (or foolish)? You should raise money to get the guy a plane ticket home rather than repair standing rigging. Today its standing rigging. Next week will be something else.

Some are.

dash

So you legitimize it by citing someone who has done something more extreme (or foolish)? You should raise money to get the guy a plane ticket home rather than repair standing rigging. Today its standing rigging. Next week will be something else.

I'm happy to chip in to have him neutered.

See? I could be way worse if I had a few more personalities.

Edit: this was a joke, OK? I wish this guy all the best.

Allright, this has gone on long enough.

I am starting my own counter campaign to help a great local youth organization. Donate here instead if you disagree with where this thread is heading.

http://www.sailsandpoint.org/support-ssp/

***disclaimer : the aforementioned group has not asked for my support in any way. I just think they are awesome and do more to support the greater good.

And to add my two cents...

I challenge everyone who has donated to donate the same to the youth bunch.

I would welcome the Ed to put this on the front page. It would be fun to see which party would get more over a set time period. STYC donated more than $8k to SSP last year. Even if we convinced enough SA wankers to donate the same to both... well... I don't really want to see what 8k will do to a SJ24 campaign...

It seems to me that soliciting donations for this youth group should be another thread??? Lets donate to the P.I. for their terrible problems, to the homeless, it is getting pretty cold out. and and and

Allright, this has gone on long enough.

I am starting my own counter campaign to help a great local youth organization. Donate here instead if you disagree with where this thread is heading.

http://www.sailsandpoint.org/support-ssp/

***disclaimer : the aforementioned group has not asked for my support in any way. I just think they are awesome and do more to support the greater good.

And to add my two cents...

I challenge everyone who has donated to donate the same to the youth bunch.

I would welcome the Ed to put this on the front page. It would be fun to see which party would get more over a set time period. STYC donated more than $8k to SSP last year. Even if we convinced enough SA wankers to donate the same to both... well... I don't really want to see what 8k will do to a SJ24 campaign...

It seems to me that soliciting donations for this youth group should be another thread??? Lets donate to the P.I. for their terrible problems, to the homeless, it is getting pretty cold out. and and and

...........take it to fundraising anarchy <_<

I'd contribute $10 for you to take up gliding.

Ill raise everyone a boat...trying to sell my 27 hunter tall rig 1980. Yall get him to Pensacola and pay 3k for the boat and whatever the papers cost him and he can make it a lot farther in that than the san Juan

Ill raise everyone a boat...trying to sell my 27 hunter tall rig 1980. Yall get him to Pensacola and pay 3k for the boat and whatever the papers cost him and he can make it a lot farther in that than the san Juan

Take it to "Mocking Ads On Craigslist" Anarchy and/or buy an ad.

eh, not sure if its real or not but i contacted his facebook and got a response thats consistent with his grammar in the articles and his facebook page, seems legit. cool guy

So, what exactly are you willing to contribute? Sounds like you want full market rate for the boat.

Personally, if I had a choice between a Hunter of any size/age and a San Juan 24 for an under-prepped ocean passage, I'd take the SJ.

FB- Doug

So, what exactly are you willing to contribute? Sounds like you want full market rate for the boat.

Personally, if I had a choice between a Hunter of any size/age and a San Juan 24 for an under-prepped ocean passage, I'd take the SJ.

FB- Doug

Damn, that's harsh.

I was going to say the same thing.

While I admire the get up and go attitude, and am aware that crazier shit has been done in smaller vessels, I think the lack of an auto-pilot and wind-vane were really bad decisions.

Tiller steering is a bitch after a while. Slaaaaaave to the compass. Good lord.

FB- Doug

Please forgive my naivety, but explain to me why Hunters are so notoriously shitty.