• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
buys737

Sailing around the world in a San Juan 24

19 hours ago, Captain Bligh said:

Thanks for the link.

Funny how his friend thought Alaska meant San Fran. and thought Rimas would sail right in to A.S. before taking a tow.

Rimas really patched his own sails. One small step for man, one big step for mankind...

Rimas drifted[or slept] right through the fishing fleets as shown on AIS

+1 on the Disney version of Rimas travels

Author claims Rimas was fishing, yet Rimas asks for fishing gear in a grift message

Likely Rimas' last trip, third boat lucky?

Should he be deported and flown back to the continent, it could be one more junk boat and one more trip to retire in Hawaii and the end of the story.

2 minutes ago, Legion of Modernrate Jack said:

We need a short fast & furious guessing game..

Rimmas is on a reef

on land

I think a third possibility is flushed back out to sea.  

Just now, Legion of Modernrate Jack said:

We need a short fast & furious guessing game..

Rimmas is on a reef

on land

i vote reef with friendly canoe folks just waving as they glide past.

Aground...in the area of his last ping which is off the beaten path for inter island air and marine traffic....he'd have to be lucky enough to catch the interest of a local fisherman...my .02 

2 minutes ago, bugger said:

I think a third possibility is flushed back out to sea.  

if so, presumably he would still be pinging.

I think he planted it on the reef off Namboutini and was rescued by natives who asked for all his crap for payment to get him to Savusavu.  He is sitting on the ground outside the coffee shop near the Copra Shed in the harbor grifting for change to call Jean and ask for a plane ticket to SF and a new boat.

Either that or he lawn-darted on the J shaped reef and a Fijian Grizzly Bear swam out and ate him.

Brief rundown on Fiji Navy. Wiki reports they have 9 boats. 4 are old Israeli Patrol boats, 1970 vintage and I assume non-operational. 2 are US donations , unknown status. 3 are Australian-built, late 90s. This was part of a program that Aus built and donated a dozen or so patrol boats to several Pacific island nations. Aus also provides crew and maintenance training. This is one (operated by PNG):

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific-class_patrol_boat#/media/File%3ARAN-IFR_2013_D3_71.JPG

apparently there was a coup d'état in Fiji about 2006 or so. Aus stopped Fiji participation in the crew and maintenance training programs at that time. I don't know if parts are sold to them.  Under circumstances, not surprised that keeping them running is a problem.

I think he is on the reef off Rabi Island.  Lost the DeLorme in the crash and still awaiting rescue.  I'm thinking if the Fiji authorities have him they would have let him get in touch with Jean and then Jean would have posted something on FB.

10 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

While we are killing time...anyone else notice the curious linear geo formations on the sea bottom ?

Sealines.jpg

Artifacts from the echosounding bathymetry data collected by ships.  The "tracks"  are strips of higher resolution data;  most of the seafloor data is derived from much lower resolution satellite gravimetric data.

If he was aground, I assume he could still charge and use the Delorme unless it went overboard. IDK that he would abandon the boat unless forced to by it sinking or by authorities. I'm kind of inclined to think he ran aground, was removed from boat by authorities summoned by fishermen,  and is being detained while they figure out what to do with him. No communication devices allowed, American Consulate is probably in Suva, so it's taking them a while to sort out.

2 minutes ago, axolotl said:

Artifacts from the echosounding bathymetry data collected by ships.  The "tracks"  are strips of higher resolution data;  most of the seafloor data is derived from much lower resolution satellite gravimetric data.

thanks....

Just now, RKoch said:

If he was aground, I assume he could still charge and use the Delorme unless it went overboard. IDK that he would abandon the boat unless forced to by it sinking or by authorities. I'm kind of inclined to think he ran aground, was removed from boat by authorities summoned by fishermen,  and is being detained while they figure out what to do with him. No communication devices allowed, American Consulate is probably in Suva, so it's taking them a while to sort out.

I would think ,in that scenario, the story would be reported in the Fiji news.....they live for such novelties 

Just now, jasonbo said:

Anyone want to guess what these boat that are unspecified are and what they may be looking for. 

rimas.jpg

How about a little more background on the photo ....where ,what...when..who...

1 minute ago, SailBlueH2O said:

How about a little more background on the photo ....where ,what...when..who...

well thats why its a guess  the where is obvious though.

4 minutes ago, jasonbo said:

Anyone want to guess what these boat that are unspecified are and what they may be looking for. 

rimas.jpg

saw that too, looks like a lot of unspecified activity, interesting

8 minutes ago, jasonbo said:

rimas.jpg

is it possibly the same ship at various positions? the most southerly position is 8 hours ago and the northern most is from 2 hours ago.

1 minute ago, jasonbo said:

well thats why its a guess  the where is obvious though.

yeah the where is obvious...where did the image come from and why are the "boats" shown  ?

9 minutes ago, jasonbo said:

rimas.jpg

Likely are cruising sailboats or sport fishing/dive boats.  Local fishing Pangas aren't going to be equipped with AIS. Larger fishing boats might, but would be offshore.  IDK if Fiji Navy is equipped...doubtful.

3 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

yeah the where is obvious...where did the image come from and why are the "boats" shown  ?

AIS marine traffic and some are sat nav equipped 

I read the website. Is there a way to track the Spot via a link or just what info is provided on the website blog?

In summary it sounds like he has been MIA for a week or so? Anyone care to summarize?

8 minutes ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

I read the website. Is there a way to track the Spot via a link or just what info is provided on the website blog?

In summary it sounds like he has been MIA for a week or so? Anyone care to summarize?

Only MIA for 60 hours. He was quiet during a minor storm a few days ago, then checked in entering NE Fiji waters, reporting damage and wanting tow, then quiet since.

11 minutes ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

Summarize 20,000+ posts?

It's basically a little story about Fools, Fowl, and Floaters.

14 minutes ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

..  ..  .. Anyone care to summarize?

2 minutes ago, HypnoToad said:

Have you read Old Man and the Sea?  Yeah?  Well, it's nothing like that.

more like Capt John  Yossarian Sailing Around the World

1 hour ago, jasonbo said:

rimas.jpg

Can you give us a link to this please?

If this is someone searching for Rimas, it looks they have worked to the North and are circling back to his last known position. The label on the vessel just reads "Unspecified Ship".

Capture.JPG

Thanks. Compare these:

Rimas's last ping & current AIS (in next post):

598208d51be66_rimas2017_0730.thumb.png.7f43f733d46f0b07279608b304fb5c9f.png

I noticed a "pleasure craft" near Yanuca Island, about 12 miles east of Rabi Island. Maybe Rimas just found the AIS button.

Ok, know i wonder whether this might be a planned rescue / tow. 

The yellow marker to the right is where his last Delorme reported a few days ago.

The yellow marker to the left is a couple of reported positions of the unidentified vessel 3 hours ago.

rimas.jpg

rimas 3.jpg

I can see the drift working from his position a few days ago, to being approx in the position that undentified vessel spent time at the position 3 hours ago. 

3 minutes ago, Bull City said:

I noticed a "pleasure craft" near Yanuca Island, about 12 miles east of Rabi Island. Maybe Rimas just found the AIS button.

The Delorme doesn't have an AIS function, just a distress button. The distress signal has to route through the company, who forwards it to USCG, who contacts whatever shipping and govt agencies are nearby that could respond.

If the Unidentified AIS signal is a vessel looking for Rimas, it's likely its a dive boat or something hired by Jean and Co.

If a distress signal went out, and/or an SAR operation is in progress- wouldn't that info be public by now?

My guess is Rimas is on dry land now, and has been for a while.

31 minutes ago, Knothead said:

If this is someone searching for Rimas, it looks they have worked to the North and are circling back to his last known position. The label on the vessel just reads "Unspecified Ship".

Capture.JPG

much cheaper and effective by air.....could cover the WHOLE area twice in 2 hours...

3 minutes ago, tatters said:

Slightly moist & soggy land.

1 minute ago, tatters said:

If a distress signal went out, and/or an SAR operation is in progress- wouldn't that info be public by now?

Only way to know if a distress signal was sent is to contact Delorme and USCG to find out if a signal was received and forwarded. IDK if that info would be released to public.

Sounds like Fiji authorities have pretty limited SAR assets...like I posted above, a search boat would likely be a commercial or private vessel engaged by Jean and Co.

4 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

much cheaper and effective by air.....could cover the WHOLE area twice in 2 hours...

Assuming an aircraft asset is available.

1 minute ago, RKoch said:

Only way to know if a distress signal was sent is to contact Delorme and USCG to find out if a signal was received and forwarded. IDK if that info would be released to public.

Sounds like Fiji authorities have pretty limited SAR assets...like I posted above, a search boat would likely be a commercial or private vessel engaged by Jean and Co.

I don't know, but assumed everyone involved would want that info spread as far and wide as possible.  Is there a Notice to Mariners bulletin updated in real time?

14 minutes ago, dfw_sailor_wannabe said:

rimas 3.jpg

I have a strong suspicion those vessels on the plot are a single vessel, based on when the positions were plotted.

And given there were multiple plots at 3 hours ago (this detail has now changed on the website) something happened at that point.

Just now, RKoch said:

Assuming an aircraft asset is available.

Well I was assuming some were suggesting  a marine search was funded...even an alert from Fiji Navy/CG....to air and sea commercial traffic...

25 minutes ago, 6924 said:

it's likely that our hero hailed a passing panga, cruiser, etc and ...

How unlikely is it that some well-intentioned fisherman or cruiser picked him up and after 30 minutes wanted to put him back where they found him?

4 minutes ago, Rainier said:

That sure looks like a cock-a-roach retrieval operation to me....

Do you think Jean has the book and movie rights ?.....could back fire with a ambulance chaser ....

also, for that unidentified vessel - if it is the one vessel-  the distance from the point 9 hours ago to 3 hours ago was 32nm, over 6 hours, so ~ speed 5 kts (if in a straight line).

And based on wind charts, course was approx 50 degrees off true wind (wind being ~ 270).

However that vessel turned backwards - an hour ago - , on heading of approx 107, for 2nm, over approx 40 minutes. IF (and it is a big if) there was a problem an hour ago, and to go back 2 nm would indicate shadowing rather than a tow. 

http://www.devonlive.com/unmanned-sailboat-heading-for-collision-with-devon-coast/story-30466755-detail/story.html

Unmanned sailboat is a better story then Rimas.  Probably alot less damage. 

Seriously when GPS tracking is so cheap why is it so hard to put these on boats.  These are buckets and have better tracking.

https://www.nefsc.noaa.gov/drifter/drift_X.html

4 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Interesting story:

http://fijimarinas.com/self-sailing-yacht-salvage-story/

I haven't found any current news regarding a yacht aground or a rescue. Fiji notice to Mariners appears to be navigational notices, like unlit beacons. No be on lookout notices.

So I guess the lesson is if you ditch after grounding toss the anchor provided its not at the bottom of Richardson Bay?

Skimming through Google and images, it sounds like yachts hitting reefs in Fiji is a frequent occurrance. Charts are reported poor and way out of date. Here's a Swan 57 on a Fiji reef:

8278272126743585367_n.jpg

2 minutes ago, Knothead said:

This just in.

Rimas.jpg

hmmm...why does this not show up on my link to his pings ? and that time stamp is from yesterday EST

2 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

hmmm...why does this not show up on my link to his pings ? and that time stamp is from yesterday EST

Doesn't show up for me either.

13 minutes ago, Rainier said:

How funny would it be if Mimsy made it around the world with Rimas stuck in Fiji?

LOL!

That would be perfect.

From Jean on Facebook:

Rimas is off the coast of Rabi Island Fiji.  I called Fiji to arrange a tow for rimas but he turned his tracker off so he can't answer my calls and I can't locat him.