buys737

Sailing around the world in a San Juan 24

2 hours ago, One_more_time said:

What a nice way to welcome someone to the forum. You are a complete and utter dick.   I'm out.

2 posts, and you haven't posted a picture of your girlfriends tits yet?

2 minutes ago, RKoch said:

2 posts, and you haven't posted a picture of your girlfriends tits yet?

I think he fucked off, so is at least upholding part of the tradition.

4 hours ago, Timmys_Trick_Turkey said:

.. And when his demise is proven, the go fund me campaign will encourage the legions of the psychopathically incompetent to follow in his emaciated  footsteps.

A fitting tribute to the man would be if his FB cult produced an 'epic sailing fail' video to post on YouTube..

3 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Odd...but I have been thinking of what a properly designed minimalistic ocean drifter pod would look like...

Somewhat like an enclosed lifeboat. Long shallow keel to ensure self-righting, and have it lie to a sea anchor well, but not so deep as to give any windward ability. Mast and rig designed so chafe is impossible. Solar panels to power the latte maker. Chicken coop in bow.

Methinks Rimas is no more.

2 hours ago, One_more_time said:

What a nice way to welcome someone to the forum. You are a complete and utter dick.   I'm out.

Is this permanent? :)

Here's where I place the probabilities at the moment:

50%- He's alive.  This is the cockroach after all.  Most likely he misses the small reef, and drifts ashore.  Might have taken a day or more to hit land, then spend a couple of days mooching in the local village, then make his way to a larger city where he could have been detained or left without access to communications.  

45%- Swims with the fishes.  Wouldn't take long for a reef to tear the boat apart.  Without survival gear or skills, outlook would be grim.

5%-  Drift-a-thon continues.  Possible without control he passes to the North of Fiji, and the epic record setting remarkable adventure continues.

These odds change in my mind as time goes on, with survival becoming less likely.  However- I'm still currently guessing that Rimas is on dry land. 

44 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Odd...but I have been thinking of what a properly designed minimalistic ocean drifter pod would look like...

This?

ttp://interestingsailboats.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/sven-yrvind-circumnavigation-in-3m.html

PS. I made one of his Bris sextants. It works.

3 minutes ago, Legion of Modernrate Jack said:

I would forgo the 100KG of book clutter & have a solar charger & ipad, the 98KG to be a mix of food and some extra water in case of clear weather & no rain.

kindle = books 

I say the roach is still with us. He's covering his incompetence with the sound of silence. He's probably got a couple of big fat gals doing his toenails (can you imagine?) while he lustily looks down their shirts.

On a more optimistic note, if Rimas is swimming, how can we celebrate his lowly life appropriately? And when to start? Betcha Jean/Shannon are wishing this to end, eh?

My odds...

40% he fetched up on Texas Reef and is swimming with the fishes.

30% he just missed Texas Reef and drifted into the bay and wrecked there. Possibly still alive.

10% chance he drifted into the bay without wrecking, and managed to secure the boat. Still alive.

20% chance he drifted back out to sea, still alive and pouting.

overall...about a 70% chance he wrecked. About a 50% chance he's still alive.

2 minutes ago, RKoch said:

My odds...

30% he just missed Texas Reef and drifted into the bay and wrecked there. Possibly still alive.

10% chance he drifted into the bay without wrecking, and managed to secure the boat. Still alive.

And super-pissed at Jean.

7 minutes ago, RKoch said:

My odds...

I dunno, it seems better odds to me that he missed and is still at sea somewhere. If he passed by close enough to see land, and he couldn't summon a tow........... or just magically have one appear, having been summoned by his minions.... then surely he is pouting up a storm

If he did drift within the cone of "can't miss" I agree the odds of him making a safe landing without assistance are nil

After all the predictions I made about HotRod's catamabarge failing, I am reluctant to make any more

FB- Doug

I've tried a few Google searches...as near as I can tell this is the most recent Yacht wrecking in Fiji...61' NZ boat hitting a reef at night several weeks ago.

37 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

I say the roach is still with us. He's covering his incompetence with the sound of silence.

That's what I said yesterday!

8 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

I dunno, it seems better odds to me that he missed and is still at sea somewhere. If he passed by close enough to see land, and he couldn't summon a tow........... or just magically have one appear, having been summoned by his minions.... then surely he is pouting up a storm

If he did drift within the cone of "can't miss" I agree the odds of him making a safe landing without assistance are nil

After all the predictions I made about HotRod's catamabarge failing, I am reluctant to make any more

FB- Doug

He had been making good about 250-255 for past several hours. Don't think he could go much more south than that. That course puts him wrecking at some point, with shredded sails, broken tiller, and low sailing skills it's a low percentage he could find a harbor and Manuver in successfully.

Its possible he recognized the trap he was sailing into, jibed around, and managed to sail NNE or so back out to sea. If he didn't hit a reef on way out, he's drifting west out at sea. That's his best chance of surviving, though he's low on food and still has to figure out how to make a landfall in Vanuatu. He probably knows that if he fires up the Delorme and presses the panic button, he'll be taken off his boat and lose it.

23 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Speaking of which, the experimental decomposing table lives on. Looks like it has outlived the Failin' Hawaiian and Rimas at this point.

I believe given winds (that night when he went radio silent) he could track 255-275 towards Namboutini which he mentioned as a goal. 

255-275 would put him north of Texas Reef.  

i'm gussing much higher odds of the cockroach alive right now than yours

2 minutes ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Speaking of which, the experimental decomposing table lives on. Looks like it has outlived the Failin' Hawaiian and Rimas at this point.

Pics!!!

You can throw in some of the truck if you want

FWIW I have either put in, or helped put in, several old wooden boats as planters.... a few FG ones come to think of it.... and they are all still going strong after decades... as planters, though. Far cry from real service as a boat.

FB- Doug

4 minutes ago, 6924 said:

I believe given winds (that night when he went radio silent) he could track 255-275 towards Namboutini which he mentioned as a goal. 

255-275 would put him north of Texas Reef.  

i'm gussing much higher odds of the cockroach alive right now than yours

Namboutini has reefs along shore, extending a ways out. Only a narrow winding River exit, of unknown depth. I don't think he could Manuver in there, but he could hit the reef and survive. More protected water, not big waves smashing him.

14 minutes ago, RKoch said:

...Its possible he recognized the trap he was sailing into, jibed around, and managed to sail NNE or so back out to sea. If he didn't hit a reef on way out, he's drifting west out at sea. That's his best chance of surviving, though he's low on food and still has to figure out how to make a landfall in Vanuatu. He probably knows that if he fires up the Delorme and presses the panic button, he'll be taken off his boat and lose it.

Did you just imply that Rimas can recognize a sailing/navigational problem?  Let alone, take corrective action before the shit hits the fan?

lol.gif

No, really... lol.giflol.giflol.gif

10 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:

Did you just imply that Rimas can recognize a sailing/navigational problem?  Let alone, take corrective action before the shit hits the fan?

lol.gif

No, really... lol.giflol.giflol.gif

Anything is possible...as long as it's downwind.

9 hours ago, 6924 said:

Do you have any contacts in Namboutini or Tabewewa ( Nuku ) ? 

If Rimas didn't end up on Texas Reef, there is a good chance he drifted towards one of these 2 villages. Might be worth reaching out to the Chiefs in these 2 villages to see if they know anything. 

No, no family there at all, my fathers family are all from near Rabi on the "mainland" side.

But i would think the plane will have covered that area by now.

Will call my uncle at the navy again after school. Now i must run for the bus, off to school for my math and agriculture exam, C U later.

have I missed the joke here ...or are you guys seriously entertaining the concept that  Fiji Gone Vuli is a real Fijian?

1 hour ago, Somebody Else said:

That's what I said yesterday!

Fucking A. That's where I got that idea. I should have quoted it. This modern pot is way better than back in the day.

I firmly believe Rimas struck land a few hours after his last message. He sent 4 quick messages, one each hour, then silence.  There's no way he could have altered course enough North or South to avoid landfall, see his ping history, consider his course alteration skills and his last ping indicating he had no sails or rudder.

The curious thing is no reports from local authorities yet.  In spite of the poop fest about fiji being a third world country, almost a million people live there on 7,100 square miles of land, with 15 public airports, (daily flights to Suvasu & Labasa), RO-RO ferries, vibrant fishing and maritime tourism industries. There's a 300 man Navy based in Suva, charged with EEZ patrol and rescue missions, although its equipment is in disrepair.  TV, internet, electricity (60% hydroelectric), bus system, is generally available.  Now, Vanua Levu is sparsely populated, think of it as the Australian outback of Fiji, but there's still enough activity that a wreck awash would attract local attention even without a concerted search effort.  Most of the roads are coastal; there's even a biofuel factory on Rabi Island.  I suspect the local subsistence mariners are always on the lookout for whatever the prevailing winds push into Natewa Bay.

Rimas, of course, is just a tiny speck in a vast area, but his boat, if high and dry or awash should have been detected by now.  He made it past the outlying reefs (by chance) based on his pings and was last located within 20 miles of inhabited (although reef enshrouded) land. It is most likely he struck an outlying pinnacle or a reefed & rocky shore and either broke apart so as to not be easily visible, or was driven by wind, tide and waves over an island barrier reef with a holed boat which sank in deeper water. Survival possible but not likely.  This offshore reef thing with no tow available is something he's never experienced (except possibly in Alaska where Neptune blessed him) and it was clear he was terrified of it based on his final messages.

Another couple weeks of no news and I declare the Rimas saga has ended.

rimas.jpg

not the best of starts Jim F....but welcome nonetheless....    what do you have to offer to this maraschino encrusted shit show ?

18 hours ago, Fiji Gone Vuli said:

We have plenty helicopters too... [Fiji Military]

Successful Helipro Fiji Search & Rescue Mission 

A  lie.  The Fiji Air Wing had two helicopters provided by the French in 1987; one crashed and the other was retired in 1997. Helipro is a commercial operation and contracts with the Fiji Air Wing for limited services.  And you can bet a pretty penny has to be in hand before any of their birds take to the air. 

and I repeat my question.......   do you guys really believe this Fiji gone wild guy is real?    Occam's Razor here....is it more likely that one of us got bored after 4 years of this thread...realized that Rimas is a Norwegian Blue and made up this persona....or that even though there is no evidence from a Fijian standpoint that an accident has occurred (ie no local news of a missing sailor)....that a fijian lad magically happenstances on a thread about a missing sailor in fiji waters (again...there have been no reports of a missing )...    i tried to google missing sailor fiji   etc....NEVER was i directed to this site..   this guy is one of us in a sock puppet form.    entertaining but not real

AXol, I agree to the most part. I would say Fiji is a third world or developing country, though. Something like 4 coups in the past 20 years. Only 2 of the Navy patrol boats are reported as operational. Pretty limited SAR resources...I think they rely on NZ for SAR aircraft. Vanua Levu is relatively lightly populated, but as you say there are several coastal villages, and appear to have communications with Suva. The reefs are probably popular spots for fishing and diving...I agree that a boat awash on a reef would likely be spotted. Rimas couldn't see Texas Reef at the time of his last message, but minimal navigation skills could still realize he was drifting towards it. In the past he demonstrated some ingenuity in rigging multiple sheets to shredded sails. Don't know where tiller broke...if near the rudder head, he's got no steering. If nearer the end, he may still have a stump to grasp. Although he likely wrecked, there is the possibility he could pick a 'safer' spot to wreck.

5 minutes ago, Kingstonsail said:

and I repeat my question.......   do you guys really believe this Fiji gone wild guy is real?    Occam's Razor here....is it more likely that one of us got bored after 4 years of this thread...realized that Rimas is a Norwegian Blue and made up this persona....or that even though there is no evidence from a Fijian standpoint that an accident has occurred (ie no local news of a missing sailor)....that a fijian lad magically happenstances on a thread about a missing sailor in fiji waters (again...there have been no reports of a missing )...    i tried to google missing sailor fiji   etc....NEVER was i directed to this site..   this guy is one of us in a sock puppet form.    entertaining but not real

FGV signed up on the 28th...a few days before Rimas looked like he was in trouble. I haven't seen any Fiji media reports about Rimas. I'm sure someone was bored and created a sock puppet.

29 minutes ago, Jim F. said:

Jim F appears to be speechless for the first time.

We need the first post on every page to read DEAD or ALIVE to save people time. Much as the humour is first class in segments there is a lot of reading to get through.

30 minutes ago, Kingstonsail said:

not the best of starts Jim F....but welcome nonetheless....    what do you have to offer to this maraschino encrusted shit show ?

Literally laughing out loud! Thanks!

6 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Rimas couldn't see Texas Reef at the time of his last message, but minimal navigation skills could still realize he was drifting towards it. 

I don't think Rimas hit Texas Reef,  too far South of his projected driftage, and although I can't get the wind direction numbers for July 30th, but recently it's been ESE which would have blown him away from it.  Could explain why there's been no news, though, Texas Reef is considerably offshore and nasty.

Fiji reefs are known for their powerful breaking waves, just a few examples here.

Image result for fiji surf reef

How thick would the layup on that Rawson need to be to survive that beast?

Nice little anchorage and cay behind this reef.

Mark Healey on one of the bigger waves of the day.

Look at what the wave above did to this guy,

This is the result of a copping a four to five foot wave straight onto the reef. Gruesome? Maybe. But a reminder that accidents can happen even in the small stuff.

Interview here

http://magicseaweed.com/news/aaron-gold-interview-how-i-drowned-at-cloudbreak/9062/?fb_comment_id=896604847129699_896755420447975#f3c8e62f1d7b004

RImas should be so lucky

21 minutes ago, axolotl said:

I don't think Rimas hit Texas Reef,  too far South of his projected driftage, and although I can't get the wind direction numbers for July 30th, but recently it's been ESE which would have blown him away from it.  Could explain why there's been no news, though, Texas Reef is considerably offshore and nasty.

What is the name of reef he was drifting towards?

If he wrecked, there should be plenty of flotsam washing ashore...propane bottles, empty cocktail garnish jars, cushions, etc.

3 minutes ago, BrickTopHarry said:

That would be "don't mess with" Texas reef. 

AXol is full of shit then. Rimas was drifting right towards it. Requires a change of course and adjustment of sails, or a lucky shift in current, in order to miss it. 

1 minute ago, RKoch said:

If he wrecked, there should be plenty of flotsam washing ashore...propane bottles, empty cocktail garnish jars, cushions, etc.

And creating a whole generation of sharks that are herbivores that crave olives..   cherries...  and potatoes....

17 minutes ago, axolotl said:

The forecast I got from Windguru for the night after his last ping was light and variable becoming 10 knots 140 degrees building to 15 to 20 knots. I know nothing about currents but assuming none this would have him MAYBE clearing the NW corner of Texas reef and drifting towards the SW end of the skinny peninsula at the NE end of Vanua Levu. If he was to hit in that area I don;t think there is a coastal road or any villages. Assuming a 1 to 2 knot drift that would have him making landfall the next day.

However I would have thought that drift across to Vanua Levu would have given him enough sun and time to get a charge in the Delorme. 

Of course if he had a scrap of sail up and a working rudder then he could be anywhere. 

But, on the chance Las Cucaracha de la Mar slid to the north, I'm calling Pentecost Island, Vanuatu.....

vanuatu-map-63483.jpg

53 minutes ago, Kingstonsail said:
57 minutes ago, RKoch said:

And creating a whole generation of sharks that are herbivores that crave olives..   cherries...  and potatoes....

mmmm buttery Idahoan potatoes!!

I nominate the above KS post as the post of the month.

FB- Doug

It's exactly 7 day since Rimas's last message and position. His course looked to be about 240 degrees and the breeze has been reported by a poster here as being 140. So he had the breeze at 100 TWA ie just aft of his port beam.

He was 9 miles from the reef which he was headed for.

He was 21 miles from the tip of Vanua Levu including outlying reefs on a bearing of 325 which puts the breeze almost dead aft if he were to turn then and head towards it.

So he may have had the presence of mind to gybe and sail north of Vanua Levu. That or hitting the reef are the only two scenarios that could result from 7 days of no contact IMO.

SF I'll second that...

He's pretty witty.....

1 hour ago, Kingstonsail said:

If you fed enough sharks enough idahoan..........?

potato_shark_by_nexides-d7enqqp.jpg

1 hour ago, RKoch said:

Is there any chatter on FB?

No I guess they figure everything is going just swimmingly.

Any scenarios that don't involve Mimsy being wrecked/lost have to account for why there is no transmission from Rimas in all this time.  Presumably there has been enough sun to charge the Delorme, so the assumption is either

1. The Delorme is lost, with the vessel, and Rimas

2. Rimas is willfully refusing to transmit to the Delorme page ("radio silence")

3, The Delorme just happened to break/fail, coincidentally, with Rimas approaching land.

4. The Delorme was lost but the vessel and Rimas still exist one way or another. (Example, Rimas is dying of starvation/exposure on land somewhere separate from the vessel, or looking for, or waiting for, other people)

I'm going to discount the idea that Rimas has been taken in and is being processed by authorities.  Too much time has passed, I'd assume we'd have heard some word by now if that were the case.

Every now and then, even a cockroach gets squashed like a bug. 

41 minutes ago, BrickTopHarry said:

I'm going to discount the idea that Rimas has been taken in and is being processed by authorities.  Too much time has passed, I'd assume we'd have heard some word by now if that were the case.

You may be right of course- and the more time that passes, the less likely it would seem for him to be on dry land in Fiji.  Consider though...  If he was adrift 7 days ago, maybe he drifts up on the shoreline 6 days ago.  How long does he stay in the boat?  1 day, 2?.  (probably not anxious to brag about that using the delorme)  Suppose he then decides to go ashore.  He's in a remote location with no $$$.  It might easily be a couple of days or more for him to find his way to a major city.  Then what?  Detained?  Hospital?  Without both a computer and internet access, how would we know anything?  I wonder if his enablers/handlers know something we don't.  I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out he's alive in Fiji, nor would I be surprised if there was zero additional info beyond what we know now.

I agree with Harry that there's been plenty of time for the Delorme to charge up. I'm curious about that last ping, when it sent the cached message. I wonder if Jean or Shannon has talked to the Garmin people about it, and asked for more detail.  

27 minutes ago, RKoch said:

If Rimas was ashore, he'd be searching for a Starbucks with free WI-FI....

FIFBOY

"No consros tilles too damhgehere mondaz just curret pushing boat very not cllearo where end up"

I think this translates as: No control tiller too damaged monday current pushing boat very not clear where end up.

Was he telling the truth or was he telling one of his usual dramatic stories for his audience? He also messaged about  "a lot of damage" a few hours earlier including damaged jib.

I'm starting to think he really was drifting by the time he sent the last message. I'd be searching along his last course.

34 minutes ago, RKoch said:

If Rimas was ashore, he'd be searching for a reporter.

Naw, starbucks first then a reporter

5 minutes ago, bfloyd4445 said:

Naw, starbucks first then a reporter

Naw, a new mark, starbucks, then a reporter.

1 minute ago, Trickypig said:

"No consros tilles too damhgehere mondaz just curret pushing boat very not cllearo where end up"

I think this translates as: No control tiller too damaged monday current pushing boat very not clear where end up.

Was he telling the truth or was he telling one of his usual dramatic stories for his audience? He also messaged about  "a lot of damage" a few hours earlier including damaged jib.

I'm starting to think he really was drifting by the time he sent the last message. I'd be searching along his last course.

I'd say that's accurate. Reef was 10-12 miles away, he was drifting at 1.5 knots. He had 7 or 8 hours to recognize danger he was in before hitting. He could have hit the SoS button on the Delorme, but didn't. I don't know if he's resourcefull enough to repair tiller or rig boom as a sweep to regain some control. I think he probably could jury rig a sail, as he's done so in the past.  I think he was out of vhf range, but it also may not not work. Since the Delorme is his only means of comms, the silence means either he's alive and doesn't want help, or he's dead.

Hitting the SOS button should have triggered some sort of response. I don' t think he did because he  knew hitting it almost certainly meant abandoning the boat. I wish he'd had a PLB. 

3 minutes ago, RKoch said:

I'd say that's accurate. Reef was 10-12 miles away, he was drifting at 1.5 knots. He had 7 or 8 hours to recognize danger he was in before hitting. He could have hit the SoS button on the Delorme, but didn't. I don't know if he's resourcefull enough to repair tiller or rig boom as a sweep to regain some control. I think he probably could jury rig a sail, as he's done so in the past.  I think he was out of vhf range, but it also may not not work. Since the Delorme is his only means of comms, the silence means either he's alive and doesn't want help, or he's dead.

He has done this before he disappeared for what a month then ended in Hawaii. The delorme settings were made private and we received no news until he made landfall via the usual rescue....or something like that. I.think Jean had something to do with that. Anyway, he could be doing the same things again. If he were dead don't you think the locals would have found floating debris by now.

1 minute ago, MisterMoon said:

Hitting the SOS button should have triggered some sort of response. I don' t think he did because he  knew hitting it almost certainly meant abandoning the boat. I wish he'd had a PLB. 

That's only going to work if the delorme can see the sky.

3 hours ago, madohe said:

Head says.....

article-2130437-129E12D9000005DC-93_634x531.jpg

Unfortunately, tail says...

IMG_5203.JPG

6 minutes ago, bfloyd4445 said:

He has done this before he disappeared for what a month then ended in Hawaii. The delorme settings were made private and we received no news until he made landfall via the usual rescue....or something like that. I.think Jean had something to do with that. Anyway, he could be doing the same things again. If he were dead don't you think the locals would have found floating debris by now.

He did not have the Delorme going to Hawaii, Shannon still was holding on to it for safe keeping.  No one knew where Rimas was until he popped up.

10 minutes ago, RKoch said:

He did not have the Delorme going to Hawaii, Shannon still was holding on to it for safe keeping.  No one knew where Rimas was until he popped up.

that's right, thanks, I stand corrected.  so you believe he made it from Monterey to Hawaii without any coaching or help on his own skills?f

9 minutes ago, MisterMoon said:

Yes, I think he knows he's abandoning the boat if he hits SoS. That would mean he likely waits until the very last instant to hit the button, and he probably thinks rescue pops over the horizon a moment later.  Obviously hasn't occured to him that remote islands don't offer concierge tows or extensive SAR assets.

3 minutes ago, bfloyd4445 said:

He was pretty much committed to making landfall unless he gybed off immediately and cleared the northern tip. If he had gone quiet when leaving somewhere or mid ocean you'd think him possibly safe.

The `usual rescue' isn't nearly as possible in the north end of Fiji. The bigger population and tourist activity is up the other end of Fiji. Even cruising sailors can't be arsed sailing back upwind after clearing customs to visit the northern areas. It's very quiet up that end.

There may well be flotsam from his possible wreck, however if he wrecked on that nearest reef it is still a long way from the coast for stuff to wash ashore. Rimas won't have gone to the trouble of marking up items with identification either.

Some fisherman may well have found some striped t shirts or bags of buttery mash but I doubt they understand the significance.

Agree there's a lot of uninhabited coastline where debris would wash up and remain unnoticed. Also agree he hasn't labelled gear. I do think there's probably fishing Pangas and dive boats that visit the reefs pretty regularly. And they'd probably report a wrecked yacht or debris immediately.

7 minutes ago, Trickypig said:

He was pretty much committed to making landfall unless he gybed off immediately and cleared the northern tip. If he had gone quiet when leaving somewhere or mid ocean you'd think him possibly safe.

The `usual rescue' isn't nearly as possible in the north end of Fiji. The bigger population and tourist activity is up the other end of Fiji. Even cruising sailors can't be arsed sailing back upwind after clearing customs to visit the northern areas. It's very quiet up that end.

There may well be flotsam from his possible wreck, however if he wrecked on that nearest reef it is still a long way from the coast for stuff to wash ashore. Rimas won't have gone to the trouble of marking up items with identification either.

Some fisherman may well have found some striped t shirts or bags of buttery mash but I doubt they understand the significance.

good point. He was still out there and not in a local fishing hot spot. I think he understood this as reflected in his last message, was very afraid and rightly so. 

11 minutes ago, bfloyd4445 said:

good point. He was still out there and not in a local fishing hot spot. I think he understood this as reflected in his last message, was very afraid and rightly so. 

Being afraid would mean he recognized the danger. He had the option to push the SoS button, but didn't. I think he was just more flustered that he couldn't raise a tow. The reefs are going to be the hot fishing and dive spots. We're not talking a lot of boats, but there should be regular traffic to and from on a daily basis.

Interesting that he sailed nearly the same course prior to the storm, during the storm, and after the storm. Also, that he opted to sail into reef-strewn waters after already breaking tiller and damaging sails. It would have been better to drift by to the north, and try to arrange a rescue...unles he did have some control and was just embellishing again.

2 hours ago, Trickypig said:

So he may have had the presence of mind to gybe and sail north of Vanua Levu.

Here you guys go again, trying to bring Intelligent attributes to bear on Rimas again.

From everything I've seen on this thread, newspaper clippings, Lat 38 articles, etc., Rimas' crowning accomplishment is figuring out how to use a pre-paid Starbucks card.

"Gybe" and "sail": not so much.

2 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:

Here you guys go again, trying to bring Intelligent attributes to bear on Rimas again.

From everything I've seen on this thread, newspaper clippings, Lat 38 articles, etc., Rimas' crowning accomplishment is figuring out how to use a pre-paid Starbucks card.

"Gybe" and "sail": not so much.

Intelligence, no. But he does appear to be able to control his direction in a 180 degree downwind arc. 

Did Rimas know the Delorme had an SOS button?

Was it charged when he needed to push it? ie He said he had a "strong gale" in previous days so maybe he didn't want it on deck whilst the weather was rough and therefore it was almost out of charge.

I can also imagine his VHF would have had near flat batteries in it too.

13 minutes ago, Trickypig said:

Did Rimas know the Delorme had an SOS button?

Was it charged when he needed to push it? ie He said he had a "strong gale" in previous days so maybe he didn't want it on deck whilst the weather was rough and therefore it was almost out of charge.

I can also imagine his VHF would have had near flat batteries in it too.

The 'strong gale' was about 25 knots of wind. He probably had some damage, but likely embellished it as he has previously. He did maintain the same course before, during, and after. There was a few sunny days after the storm, he should have been able to charge the Delorme. Yes, last battery reading said low. He should know the Delorme has an SoS button, at the least he could message that he needed help/rescue more than just a tow. I suspect he didn't realize he was heading to danger.  Not known if vhf works, but he was well out of range to hail anybody on a handheld unless a boat with radio was in visual. Unlikely the ships vhf works, as he had no means to charge ships batteries, they had likely been flat for over a year.

I think if anything happened to the boat and Rimas had to leave it, most likely the phone, tablet, and the solar charger all got wet and died. It the Delorme was with him, it's still a paperweight until he can charge it. I don't know if they use a proprietary plug, or a micro usb like everyone else.

Just speculating if he drifted past Texas reef and into the long bay where he might have run into something and wreck or ground, then had to swim or walk to shore, and then walk until he found someplace with a phone to summon authorities. I figure after a few days he gets picked up and taken to detention then eventually shipped back to LA. Until he lands there he has no way to communicate with Jean or Shannon. Maybe he could spend time with an embassy official who might let him send an email or use a phone, otherwise he is just blacked out,

1 minute ago, Volkeno said:

I think if anything happened to the boat and Rimas had to leave it, most likely the phone, tablet, and the solar charger all got wet and died. It the Delorme was with him, it's still a paperweight until he can charge it. I don't know if they use a proprietary plug, or a micro usb like everyone else.

Just speculating if he drifted past Texas reef and into the long bay where he might have run into something and wreck or ground, then had to swim or walk to shore, and then walk until he found someplace with a phone to summon authorities. I figure after a few days he gets picked up and taken to detention then eventually shipped back to LA. Until he lands there he has no way to communicate with Jean or Shannon. Maybe he could spend time with an embassy official who might let him send an email or use a phone, otherwise he is just blacked out,

I think the first person he'd contact is Jean.

Detention in Vanua Levu village probably means given a bed at the local church hall.

I doubt he would leave the boat, even if it was half flooded. He would probably find a corner to go fetal in. If a fishing boat or villagers did manage to convince him to leave, he'd probably bring his laptop, GPS, and Delorme, even if water-damaged. They're his prized possessions. Anybody picking up a shipwrecked yachtie would bring him to village chief, who would notify authorities. Authorities would notify US consulate/embassy, who would probably arrange communications for him to contact Jean/Shannon/whomever.  Also, word would be out to reporters. If Rimas stepped on land, word would be out by now. He's either still aboard, or under the sea.

31 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Intelligence, no. But he does appear to be able to control his direction in a 180 degree downwind arc. 

Easy on the numbers. Let's say 140.