• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
buys737

Sailing around the world in a San Juan 24

7 hours ago, Fiji Gone Vuli said:

Morning, trying to catch up on all those overnight post before school.

My geography is not so huge yet, like I had to search S.A. for Fresno and found that a certain Da-Woody calls it a drug infested dump, we have plenty of that around here, and i often go down to the dump here to get food for my pigs.

Off to school now for my science exam, but FYI, we use this at school for our geography, very handy: https://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en#boating@4&key=xfwgBcm`ea%40  you even find the depth of that Texas reef on it, it's huge!

Not sure if anyone else noticed, but the "huge geography" reference is a clear sign Fiji Boy is a sock.  The only time you will ever see huge geography is either on FB or this thread.

Comes across as a lame attempt at an "in" joke on this thread.

15 minutes ago, Legion of Modernrate Jack said:

Just as Americans speak a fusion of Euro Gypsy and Irish/ UK low class street language now accepted as the only true version of the Queens English = colourful! :)

Try to remember, its the Kings English. Shes nothing but a German chippie.

"Well Ill never be a Kitty

Or a cookie 

Or a tail.

Theres one place worse than Dock Place,

Thats the Port O' Lieth jail

Well Ill never be a cookie 

And theres one more thing for sure.

I wont end up on Dock Place

And Ill never be a whore"

40 minutes ago, RKoch said:

If Rimas was caught in breakers on the reef...

Back at cha.  There is something particularly haunting about this video below, given the music. And it's kind of amazing he left the scene with crew in the water, even if it was to go get help.

2 hours ago, Trickypig said:

Just take a photo of a piece of paper with Sailing Anarchy written on it in front of a unmistakeably Fijian image... Road sign to somewhere maybe.

It may make the front page where nobody will read it.

Front page?

10 minutes ago, sailronin said:

Rimas' support group is costing Fiji many thousands of dollars  and tying up SAR assets by sending an incompetent out on a doomed voyage.  Jean should get a bill from Fiji to cover all the expenses.

Absolutely, as I said before, they could spend all that money much better. And sue not only Jean and Jim, but the US coastguard and ICE in the first place! They knew all about this mental immigrant and a simple safety check would have earned him a $500 fine which he could not pay, then confiscate his boat and destroy it, problem solved, until Jean...

2 hours ago, RKoch said:

Better idea, post a picture of your sisters tits, holding a sailing anarchy sign.

School kid, better use mommy's tits. 

1 hour ago, RKoch said:

Yah, Jean should get a bill for trying to be Henry Higgins.

" Henry Higgins makes a bet that he can train a bedraggled Cockney flower girl, Eliza Doolittle, to pass for a duchess at an ambassador's garden party by teaching her to assume a veneer of gentility"

Rimas was a homeless drifter and panhandler. There is nothing to suggest he could become a responsible boat owner and competent sailor. In fact, he had previously demonstrated he was incapable, and stubbornly refused to learn the required skills to maintain and operate a vessel. Jean kept sending him out until he killed himself. With no boat, Rimas is land bound.

I have no problem with Jean "sending" Rimas out, that's where he wanted to be.   The only effort Rimas demonstrated was hoarding food and conniving to get loose to save his boat.   I object to the FB crowd tying up governments' resources trying to get him back again.   Rimas makes his own choices.   If Jean wanted him back he should have moored the boat in a southern reservoir where the giant flag and tales of glorious drifts for America would have gotten a receptive audience.     

Blaming Jean if Rimas dies is like blaming Hobie for the power line deaths on the other thread.   Fiji doesnt have safe navigation aids and Rimas put himself in harms way.    A tragic death doesn't absolve one of responsiblilty for ones actions.   

Sailing Anarchy......

Anarchy is the condition of a society, entity, group of people, or a single person that rejects hierarchy.

Sounds like Rimas is or was an Anarchist.

Just saying

2 minutes ago, LTR said:

Sailing Anarchy......

Anarchy is the condition of a society, entity, group of people, or a single person that rejects hierarchy.

Just saying

Or a stubbornly ignorant fool.

2 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Or a stubbornly ignorant fool.

Ignorance is bliss. 

57 minutes ago, Moderate said:

The term here in Hawaii is pidgin. My god youre full of shit.

Check out PA sometime, I think youll fit in

I am not I unloaded twice today! Geez....

Been in the hills of PA, Revloc, Colver, South Fork, Johnstown a giant city and learned to drink a shot and a beer, over and over and.....

17 minutes ago, Lark said:

I have no problem with Jean "sending" Rimas out, that's where he wanted to be.   The only effort Rimas demonstrated was hoarding food and conniving to get lose to save his boat.   I object to the FB crowd tying up governments' resources trying to get him back again.   Rimas makes his own choices.   If Jean wanted him back he should have moored the boat in a southern reservoir where the giant flag and tales of glorious drifts for America would have gotten a receptive audience.     

Blaming Jean if Rimas dies is like blaming Hobie for the power line deaths on the other thread.   Fiji doesnt have safe navigation aids and Rimas put himself in harms way.    A tragic death doesn't absolve one of responsiblilty for ones actions.   

You're assuming Rimas is a mentally competent adult able to make rational decisions.  I'd say he's more like an impulsive 5 year old, who needs to be told "NO!"

Just now, RKoch said:

You're assuming Rimas is a mentally competent adult able to make rational decisions.  I'd say he's more like an impulsive 5 year old, who needs to be told "NO!"

He would fit in the local trailer park just fine.   

3 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Not at all. Delusional, likely, but if he survives, have a sit down with him sometime. 

I'm sure someone in charge around here could "look into" his IP address and prove Fiji Con Veegie is registered and posting from his mom's basement in Des Moines Iowa.

But then, that would ruin all the fun until we find out for sure whether or not Rimas went down with the ship like a true admiral.

12 minutes ago, LTR said:

Sailing Anarchy......

Just saying

Huh?

A guy who has more American flags than all of us, a guy who demonstrates no interest in developing self sufficiency,  a guy who calls on the coastguard like a personal valet, a guy who asks everyone to pay for his misadventures, a guy who loves talking crap on social media calling everyone he hasn't met ` a dear friend'.

`Anarchist' pffffffttt.

43 minutes ago, Fiji Gone Vuli said:

Absolutely, as I said before, they could spend all that money much better. And sue not only Jean and Jim, but the US coastguard and ICE in the first place! They knew all about this mental immigrant and a simple safety check would have earned him a $500 fine which he could not pay, then confiscate his boat and destroy it, problem solved, until Jean...

There it is! The writings of a Young Fiji student have reverted to those of an angry sock puppet.

3 minutes ago, Trickypig said:

Huh?

A guy who has more American flags than all of us, a guy who demonstrates no interest in developing self sufficiency,  a guy who calls on the coastguard like a personal valet, a guy who asks everyone to pay for his misadventures, a guy who loves talking crap on social media calling everyone he hasn't met ` a dear friend'.

`Anarchist' pffffffttt.

So there is a specific set of rules for an anarchist? Meh......

Rimas didn't give any fucks. Regardless of your opinion, which I mainly agree with. 

24 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Try to control your inner control freak.

Just Sayin'

7 minutes ago, Great White said:

There it is! The writings of a Young Fiji student have reverted to those of an angry sock puppet.

somebody forgot to switch usernames !

Just now, Great White said:

I think it's Jim Furnish again. He can be quite subtle with the occasional slip.

If you are reading this Jim, how do you feel about encouraging a man with demonstrably no skills to set off on a crummy boat now?

You dribble $50 at a time into Rimas's account and defend his freedom. You could have defended his freedom by teaching him some skills and only funding him when he was ready. No... you found it more entertaining to fund a guinea pig and watch the result.

4 minutes ago, LTR said:

So there is a specific set of rules for an anarchist? Meh......

Rimas didn't give any fucks. Regardless of your opinion, which I mainly agree with. 

I'm sure he blamed everyone who didn't respond to his radio or delorme messages for a tow.

We've had him go into `whiney' mode before when nobody helps.

A long way from not giving a fuck.

1 hour ago, benwynn said:

Back at cha.  There is something particularly haunting about this video below, given the music. And it's kind of amazing he left the scene with crew in the water, even if it was to go get help.

Thanks, impressive seawall.     Interesting argument for tethers there.   Almost one less yacht and several less sailors.   I kept cringing for the propeller accident during the mob rescues, not the time to idle the engine.   

"Texas Reef" doesn't show on Google because it is simply outside their satellite imaging halo - only low-resolution bathymetry is shown for that area.  It's not because it is submerged.  Hence my post of a week ago - lots of reefs don't shown on Google Earth.   

I also noted, a week ago, that the tidal change was right after Rimas's last ping.  Currents could have been changing about the time his vector got to the reef.  I would have guessed that it would flush him south, but one would really need local knowledge to really reckon that.

My experience with currents in archipelagos is that the current sweeps you around and away, when you are desperately trying to get to shore.  The wind is what can drive you up on things. Seems like internet data just doesn't give us enough information to know which would be the stronger force here.

Schrödingers Cockroach. 

3 minutes ago, Moderate said:

Try to control your inner control freak.

Just Sayin'

Just plain fiscal responsibility. Cheaper to hire a baby sitter than multiple search and rescue missions.

15 minutes ago, RKoch said:

I saw him as an old man that had done nothing with his life, had nothing, no future not even a pension so he decided to buy a cheap boat and sail off into the sunset.  He came up with the round the world voyage to justify the purchase and to attempt to gain a bit of respect. Then after his first experience he grew fond of the publicity and decided to run with it. Neptune and enablers bailed him out time after time creating his legend. He knew how it would eventually end but undaunted he continued on..............

He was most certainly a competent adult tired of living seeking a grand finale. 

4 minutes ago, toddster said:

"Texas Reef" doesn't show on Google because it is simply outside their satellite imaging halo - only low-resolution bathymetry is shown for that area.  It's not because it is submerged.  Hence my post of a week ago - lots of reefs don't shown on Google Earth.   

I also noted, a week ago, that the tidal change was right after Rimas's last ping.  Currents could have been changing about the time his vector got to the reef.  I would have guessed that it would flush him south, but one would really need local knowledge to really reckon that.

My experience with currents in archipelagos is that the current sweeps you around and away, when you are desperately trying to get to shore.  The wind is what can drive you up on things. Seems like internet data just doesn't give us enough information to know which would be the stronger force here.

Schrödingers Cockroach. 

makes perfect sense. But if he arrived at the reef between tides there would have been no current to flush him away. Your statement that he would have arrived at the tide change bothers me as I would like to think he was flushed out to sea.

6 minutes ago, Trickypig said:

I think it's Jim Furnish again. He can be quite subtle with the occasional slip.

If you are reading this Jim, how do you feel about encouraging a man with demonstrably no skills to set off on a crummy boat now?

You dribble $50 at a time into Rimas's account and defend his freedom. You could have defended his freedom by teaching him some skills and only funding him when he was ready. No... you found it more entertaining to fund a guinea pig and watch the result.

I'm sure he blamed everyone who didn't respond to his radio or delorme messages for a tow.

We've had him go into `whiney' mode before when nobody helps.

A long way from not giving a fuck.

How can you be so sure "who" he blamed? 

If he is dead, he died doing what he loved. 

2 minutes ago, oceaneer said:

So Update... is he alive??

Quantum superposition.   For now he's both and neither.

thanks Lark

I was out sailing so did not keep up.. 

I am not sure which Cat I like best. 

Just now, LTR said:

How can you be so sure "who" he blamed? 

If he is dead, he died doing what he loved. 

Only if he loved being cold, hungry, alone, frightened, crushed by his tumbling boat on the reef, and eaten by sharks. 

8 minutes ago, Lark said:

Thanks, impressive seawall.     Interesting argument for tethers there.   Almost one less yacht and several less sailors.   I kept cringing for the propeller accident during the mob rescues, not the time to idle the engine.   

I was with you on that one.

I saw a male nurse get his upper torso and left arm severely slashed by a prop. He was fortunate to have on board other nurses and was only a couple of hundred yards from the marina.  

19 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Just plain fiscal responsibility. Cheaper to hire a baby sitter than multiple search and rescue missions.

Exactly when did you start paying fijian taxes?

17 minutes ago, oceaneer said:

He has become Schrodingers Dumbass

14 minutes ago, Moderate said:

Exactly when did you start paying fijian taxes?

How much do you think the multiple USCG tows, rescues, and search cost?

Chopper rescue from a remote Alaska beach. 2 day C-130 search 1000 miles off Hawaii. Tow in to Monterey. Tow in to Hilo.

Local assets: Fire Dept tow into Hilo in '13. Police tow when he let his anchor rode chafe through in Richardson Bay. 

When dealing with first-class dumbasses like Rimas and HotRod, you either padlock the boat until it's seaworthy and they display sailing ability, or make them sign a 'no-tow, no-rescue' waiver. 

20 minutes ago, oceaneer said:

After 8 days we don't know.

But it doesn't look good as there were many lee reefs and shores to hit in a sparsely populated area.

SAR has found nothing from search beginning Aug 5.

1 minute ago, RKoch said:

Chopper rescue from a remote Alaska beach. 2 day C-130 search 1000 miles off Hawaii. Tow in to Monterey. Tow in to Hilo.

Local assets: Fire Dept tow into Hilo in '13. Police tow when he let his anchor rode chafe through in Richardson Bay. 

At what point is it cheaper to padlock his boat?

You think feeding and housing him would be cheaper? No death benefit this way either.

If they really wanted to get rid of the unruly and incapable, give them each a 4 ksb and send them off with a case of Spam, a crate of Idahoan Smashed Buttery Spuds, and a grocery cart full of whatever they wanted an hour before liftoff...and punt them off the dock on an outgoing tide.

Far cheaper, and the networks would pay big money for the video feeds.

2 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

You think feeding and housing him would be cheaper? No death benefit this way either.

If they really wanted to get rid of the unruly and incapable, give them each a 4 ksb and send them off with a case of Spam, a crate of Idahoan Smashed Buttery Spuds, and a grocery cart full of whatever they wanted an hour before liftoff...and punt them off the dock on an outgoing tide.

You make no mention of each getting a Delorme tracker... Very wise.

2 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Or find an old liner to moor out, pad the cabins, and house them there. 

2 minutes ago, RKoch said:

At what point is it cheaper to padlock his boat?

Which is more heavy handed?   Padlock his boat or to let him live or die by his abilities?    Some would probably arrest frostbiters for their safety, and even take away my dinghy in November.    I judge the risks as best as I'm able, determine my weather window (small), wear a wetsuit and PFD,    I know the DNR boat is already in winter storage, and a fishing boat may or may not be in sight.   If I was dumb enough to do the shit Rimas does / did, survival should be up to me and luck.   Even with my small risks I know stupidity can be fatal.   I don't want anybody to deprive me of my right to chose.  I don't want to deprive Rimas either.   He has a right to sail his boat if he wants, Jefferson's "pursuit of happiness".   Rescue is not a right, but a possibility.    The CG has no obligation to go looking every time FB says his food is stale or its too hard to enter harbor.    They have no obligation to do more then pluck him off the boat if they do find him.   They should expect him to clean up the debris, and seize his SS if he fails to.    They clearly don't need to dispatch a cutter to act as a chase vehicle just in case his batteries die.   

1 hour ago, Fiji Gone Vuli said:

Ok...for those of you that dont get SATIRE   ...Fiji Gone Wild has pretty much admitted he is a sock puppet....but as he mentioned... A carefully researched and entertaining sock puppet....     yes he isnt a Fijian christian boy.....but at least he is entertaining  and is delivering solid Rimas updates as he works to be "authentic"..   as far as I'm concerned...  Fiji Gone Wild is a great addition to the (can we drop the Schrodinger part...and just call it ?) Rimas watch.

50 minutes ago, bfloyd4445 said:

makes perfect sense. But if he arrived at the reef between tides there would have been no current to flush him away. Your statement that he would have arrived at the tide change bothers me as I would like to think he was flushed out to sea.

He should have arrived about 3 hours into the ebb tide.  Near max current?  

(Don't know exactly where the datum is for those tide tables - maybe plus or minus an hour?)

55 minutes ago, bfloyd4445 said:

I saw him as an old man that had done nothing with his life, had nothing, no future not even a pension so he decided to buy a cheap boat and sail off into the sunset.  He came up with the round the world voyage to justify the purchase and to attempt to gain a bit of respect. Then after his first experience he grew fond of the publicity and decided to run with it. Neptune and enablers bailed him out time after time creating his legend. He knew how it would eventually end but undaunted he continued on..............

He was most certainly a competent adult tired of living seeking a grand finale. 

hear hear

51 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Only if he loved being cold, hungry, alone, frightened, crushed by his tumbling boat on the reef, and eaten by sharks. 

There you go again with those negative waves..........

5 hours ago, thereefgeek said:

OK, now I know RKoch was spot-on; this dude is a Troll.  Poor village fisherman students don't have $1000 iPhones.  Nice try Punk-Ass.....

I have a JOB, and I didn't pay $1K for my iPhone.  Of course, my job pays for my work iPhone, so I guess its a push.  

However, my personal iPhone is a 5s POS married to a Verizon contract with my wife.

So, Who's the fool now?  Me I suppose.

Well...his dollars are worth half of yours.

1 hour ago, thereefgeek said:

I'm sure someone in charge around here could "look into" his IP address and prove Fiji Con Veegie is registered and posting from his mom's basement in Des Moines Iowa.

But then, that would ruin all the fun until we find out for sure whether or not Rimas went down with the ship like a true admiral.

No me. I turned in my keys.

1 hour ago, toddster said:

Schrödingers Cockroach. 

Google Earth may not overfly it, but it's on the charts. Awash at low tide.

TexasReef.thumb.JPG.a4527038695cce05592ab25e5e281180.JPG

1 hour ago, bfloyd4445 said:
1 hour ago, toddster said:

Schrödingers Cockroach. 

Getting "Flushed South" is going to end up with him racking up on something. There's few easy landings down there.

59894d48112f2_FlushedSouth.thumb.JPG.16dcadb4eee41a41b3a5771348a72302.JPG

26 minutes ago, Lark said:

Which is more heavy handed?   Padlock his boat or to let him live or die by his abilities? ...

Nobody here has a problem with Rimas living his life the way he chooses, or taking the risks he is comfortable taking.

The problem is the 10's of thousands of dollars (perhaps more) that have been spent providing concierge (rescue) service, and the time spent and risk imposed upon his rescuers-  ALL OF WHICH  could have easily been avoided, if that POS had simply gotten off his ass and spent a few minutes learning the basic skills that would have prevented all of this.

It's selfish laziness, not bravery.

I believe this AM a "Health and Welfare"  went out about him on the cruiser's net in Savusavu. Essentially its a "Anyone hear from this guy or seen him?" request.

No one had seen or heard anything about him.

The Floating Rimas Cocktail 

2 1/2 cl Heavy Cream

2 1/2 cl coconut milk

6 cl  Pinapple Juice

4 cl White Rum

shaken with crushed ice, pour strained into large glass, slice of fresh pinapple on rim ( maraschino cherries may be substituted for pineapple ) 

then 

1 cl Curaçao Blue lightly 'floated' into drink 

( a variation on the well known cocktail Swimming Pool )

1 minute ago, 6924 said:

The Floating Rimas Cocktail 

2 1/2 cl Heavy Cream

2 1/2 cl coconut milk

6 cl  Pinapple Juice

4 cl White Rum

shaken with crushed ice, pour strained into large glass, slice of fresh pinapple on rim ( maraschino cherries may be substituted for pineapple ) 

then 

1 cl Curaçao Blue lightly 'floated' into drink 

( a variation on the well known cocktail Swimming Pool )

No the Rimus Cocktail is 4 shots of frozen cold Vodka  slammed down while getting head from a hot  Russian chic and listening to the Volga Boatmen next to 4 18in sub woofers

1 hour ago, Lark said:

Which is more heavy handed?   Padlock his boat or to let him live or die by his abilities?    Some would probably arrest frostbiters for their safety, and even take away my dinghy in November.    I judge the risks as best as I'm able, determine my weather window (small), wear a wetsuit and PFD,    I know the DNR boat is already in winter storage, and a fishing boat may or may not be in sight.   If I was dumb enough to do the shit Rimas does / did, survival should be up to me and luck.   Even with my small risks I know stupidity can be fatal.   I don't want anybody to deprive me of my right to chose.  I don't want to deprive Rimas either.   He has a right to sail his boat if he wants, Jefferson's "pursuit of happiness".   Rescue is not a right, but a possibility.    The CG has no obligation to go looking every time FB says his food is stale or its too hard to enter harbor.    They have no obligation to do more then pluck him off the boat if they do find him.   They should expect him to clean up the debris, and seize his SS if he fails to.    They clearly don't need to dispatch a cutter to act as a chase vehicle just in case his batteries die.   

He should be committed. Keeping him in a straitjacket will cost less than rescues/diversions etc.

2 hours ago, RKoch said:

When dealing with first-class dumbasses like Rimas and HotRod, you either padlock the boat until it's seaworthy and they display sailing ability, or make them sign a 'no-tow, no-rescue' waiver. 

Wait, when did they do a search for him with C-130s?

I must have missed that one.

Not keeping up I guess!

13 hours ago, RKoch said:

It was like he plugging in coordinates to Savusavu and was steering right at it.

I think it was exactly like that right up until he hit TX reef.

I saw on BJ's chart pic that there are also "Florida Passages" nearby.

My geography isn't all that huge and my knowledge of Pacific Islands comes mostly from this thread. Can someone tell me why Fijian reefs are named for US states?

The "Fijian Lad" sock is funny. Funnier than Furnish. Gotta be from here.

30 minutes ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

I think it was exactly like that right up until he hit TX reef.

I saw on BJ's chart pic that there are also "Florida Passages" nearby.

My geography isn't all that huge and my knowledge of Pacific Islands comes mostly from this thread. Can someone tell me why Fijian reefs are named for US states?

The "Fijian Lad" sock is funny. Funnier than Furnish. Gotta be from here.

Simple, All My Ex's Live In Texas:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjzmIffqsfVAhUJEbwKHVCmDjUQyCkIKTAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DlMNw_-yUm_0&usg=AFQjCNERPDPOh6ggImbhQxBuzK-W9P3SZg

(sorry, I tried to embed, fijian boy not clever enough...)

Texas = Tejas =Tejas = Mexican/Spanish 

Florida = Spanish

Dawson Bay = English

Rabi = Fijian

Rambi = Gringo

Heemskerck = Dutch

Me = Not from Texas.

I started to feel sorry for him a few weeks ago. Then I got cross with him. Now I hope, if he is dead, that he wasn't terrified for long and that it was over quickly for him.

Tricia

No further news from here on the scene, apparently no development or progress today. And my Navy uncle thinks I am a bit to nosey. Weather was too bad today, and they are probably working on plan B.
Will update you as soon as I find out tomorrow, i.e. about 11 hours from now, at the earliest.
Don't expact miracles though!

And sorry but me thinks it was a long struggle on the reef first, but once sinking in the deep water across the reef probably rather quick.
All uninformed speculation of course, just hate to think about it.
RIP RIMAS

6 minutes ago, captpiratedog said:

Who always says me thinks here...?

Quite a few:-

me thinks.jpg

4 minutes ago, captpiratedog said:

Who always says me thinks here...?

"A surviving old-English dative construction of "it seems to me" where "me" is the indirect object. Sadly, abused by people who make special trips"!!!

G'day & G'night

3 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Can someone tell me why Fijian reefs are named for US states?

From the U.S. Exploring Expedition, 1840's. Surveyed the area and did natural history- the island group Rimas just drifted past during the storm (sic.) are named the Exploring Islands after them. Individual islands have local names as they are frequented, inhabited, etc, but some of the farer flung reefs around there have non-fijian names on charts. The locals actually use these names too for the most part, although some/most probably do have dual names...

(I am no Fiji Gone Boy, but did work in eastern island group here a few years back...)

1 minute ago, mightyhartley said:

From the U.S. Exploring Expedition, 1840's. Surveyed the area and did natural history- the island group Rimas just drifted past during the storm (sic.) are named the Exploring Islands after them. Individual islands have local names as they are frequented, inhabited, etc, but some of the farer flung reefs around there have non-fijian names on charts. The locals actually use these names too for the most part, although some/most probably do have dual names...

(I am no Fiji Gone Boy, but did work in eastern island group here a few years back...)

Me thinks a new reef to be named   Rimas Reef

12 minutes ago, mightyhartley said:

Never mind the Huuuuge geography lesson, show us your strumpet's apple dumpling shop.  (see, not just geography and psychology, we're getting history and etymology in this thread!!).

So I have been away the last four days.  I actually went sailing (it was terrific if anyone cares). 

I check in here and there are 500 new posts.... but no news about Rimas.  That has to be some kind of record.  Well done, folks.  And I really do enjoy what I learn from this merry bunch.  

7 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

Google Earth may not overfly it, but it's on the charts. Awash at low tide.

Thank you BJ. Anyone who takes a close look at it in the Bing Maps aerial view can see that it is completely submerged (except maybe the far southwest portions). That does not mean it is not shallow. I liken it to the same reef the Volvo 70 guys nailed. The point is, if it was night and there were no big ocean swells crashing on it when Rimas was near, he probably had no warning of what he was heading towards. No lights to warn him either. As others have said, Rimas has never displayed any true survival skills other than to hole-up like a cockroach and wait it out. I hope that was not the end he met. I hope he is still drifting out there eating olives. Sigh.

26 minutes ago, woolly said:

Never mind the Huuuuge geography lesson, show us your strumpet's apple dumpling shop.  (see, not just geography and psychology, we're getting history and etymology in this thread!!).

Haha, was waiting for that. Was going to ask preferences re wife or mistress, but advice on such matters is also something we have had just recently in this thread!

2 minutes ago, mightyhartley said:

Haha, was waiting for that. Was going to ask preferences re wife or mistress, but advice on such matters is also something we have had just recently in this thread!

Yes, but on previous form, me thinks you're meant to throw all your toys out of your pram, tell us what you think of us and go storming off!!

5 minutes ago, HypnoToad said:

Thank you BJ. Anyone who takes a close look at it in the Bing Maps aerial view can see that it is completely submerged (except maybe the far southwest portions). That does not mean it is not shallow. I liken it to the same reef the Volvo 70 guys nailed. The point is, if it was night and there were no big ocean swells crashing on it when Rimas was near, he probably had no warning of what he was heading towards. No lights to warn him either. As others have said, Rimas has never displayed any true survival skills other than to hole-up like a cockroach and wait it out. I hope that was not the end he met. I hope he is still drifting out there eating olives. Sigh.

It's interesting to approach reefs that have big surf from upwind and with the swell. You don't hear that much since you are upwind and the thunder of the surf is in front of the wave. If you walk across the same reef to look at the surf from the reef looking upwind it can be quite a roar.

I find it quite believable that many a sailor has gone up on a reef without hearing even quite big surf.