• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
buys737

Sailing around the world in a San Juan 24

5 minutes ago, Moderate said:

If you look back a bit , youll see the wind at his last ping.

The fuckin cockroach could have slept thru the minefield

I maintain hes alive 

I'd like to think he will. Without first hand knowledge of the currents  at the reef during the change of tides one cant really make an accurate assessment of his position and survival or not.

He's kicked back with Jim ad Jean someplace plotting the next caper is my guess

5 hours ago, theadmiralty said:

RIP my man.

The people on here who donated should rest their heads in shame

...I hate to think he was wearing the life harness I insisted my donation funded... woulda sucked him down if the boat got gnarled on a reef  :unsure:

4 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

You ready for this?

How about some copy, "At Rimas Firm, you can rest assured that there is a firm hand at the Helm!"

hCBUACq.png

See I told you guys! He aint daed he just moved up in the world.  At Rimas Firm, you can rest assured that there is a firm hand at the Helm!" That's funny but well said. A firm hand at the helm even if there is no helm.  chuckle......

Good job!

35 minutes ago, Moderate said:

He aint dead.

Ill bet my hookers that he was blown out to the North

Yes, I'm waiting for that front page headline "the cockroach lives!"

2 minutes ago, couchsurfer said:

...I hate to think he was wearing the life harness I insisted my donation funded... woulda sucked him down if the boat got gnarled on a reef  :unsure:

not a good thought. He was likely below and not wearing it. Seems to me that would be the place to be rather than be slammed between the vessel and the reef. But it would have been a fast end slashed t bits by the coral. Grim.....

5 minutes ago, bfloyd4445 said:

not a good thought. He was likely below and not wearing it. Seems to me that would be the place to be rather than be slammed between the vessel and the reef. But it would have been a fast end slashed t bits by the coral. Grim.....

The boat was likely tumbled in the breakers. He likely wasn't aware until the last second. If below, there was stuff flying around the cabin that probably injured him. If on deck, he went overboard and was dragged through water by harness. The hatch was probably open, boat took on a lot of water, a few following waves probably sent it down, Rimas still clipped on. I think the wreck is on bottom of the 'lagoon' that's on leeward side of reef...Rimas's body floating around on end of feather like a piece of bait. It was all over in a minute, minute and a half.

25 minutes ago, bfloyd4445 said:

Thanks to you they don't need one they have the Rimas!

Wind off the stern quarter. Dark night with only a faint line where the reef is. No sound of breaking waves to wake him from a deep sleep just a gentle crunch abeam below the waterline. No chance of sailing off. No electric bilge pump to buy him time. No motor to reverse off. Second crunch, different spot. Now 2 water spots to contend with. Too weak to bail. No lights to see. Nobody there to save him this time. Lays back in his bunk and feels the cold black water rising over him. Thinks, damn, it's their fault.they knew better and put me here. Curse you Jean. The end. Boat slips off the reef into the cold dark world BELOW. Crab food. 

25 minutes ago, RKoch said:

The boat was likely tumbled in the breakers. He likely wasn't aware until the last second. If below, there was stuff flying around the cabin that probably injured him. If on deck, he went overboard and was dragged through water by harness. The hatch was probably open, boat took on a lot of water, a few following waves probably sent it down, Rimas still clipped on. I think the wreck is on bottom of the 'lagoon' that's on leeward side of reef...Rimas's body floating around on end of feather like a piece of bait. It was all over in a minute, minute and a half.

I think you are on point here.  But I suspect it took a bit longer to get across the reef.   I feel bad for him.  I don't think he had a death wish. I'm glad I got to meet him.   

48 minutes ago, couchsurfer said:

That harness is probably still in Am Samoa on Pier Pressure. No way he carried much gear back on the plane. That would have been too much like preparation.

10 minutes ago, Donovan said:

I think you are on point here.  But I suspect it took a bit longer to get across the reef.   I feel bad for him.  I don't think he had a death wish. I'm glad I got to meet him.   

If the tide was up, it may not have touched the reef except for the mast being taken out. Two or three breakers did the job. No drop boards in, boat sitting low in water, cockpit flooding into interior. Rimas unable to cope, probably in shock, didn't even have time to undo the rats nest holding the life ring prop on. 

I think the flotsam will be washed up on that NE  peninsula sticking out from Vanua Levu.  Propane bottles, bits of woodwork from interior, etc.

Agreed he didn't have a death wish. But he was ignorant of what the sea could throw at him, and overconfident of his ability to deal with it.

40 minutes ago, RKoch said:

I was counted out once . Still here

Come to think of it,  I don't even think the life ring made it off Pier Pressure? Can't remember seeing it bungeed to the lifelines of Mimsy. Kinda envisioned someone finding it washed up on a distant shore months/years from now making us speculate whether he made to shore and was still alive like Amelia Earhardt, Elvis or Hitler.

An empty jug of Kirkland Maraschino Cherries on the beach won't have the same impact. 

18 minutes ago, Varan said:

He's just pouting. Pissed no one answered his pleas for a tow.

This may be the most precient post ever

IIRC someone in Pagopago shipped a bunch of his shit to him. I recall the lifering being on Mimsy, but it could have been another one grifted from West. I assume he would have brought his foul weather gear, sailor costumes, and inflatable life jacket with him. I doubt he ever renewed the CO2 cartridge.

2 hours ago, RKoch said:

....ohhhh,,,shit.   Fifty bucks ,,, four years ago.    I didn't know.  :(

1 hour ago, Dex Sawash said:

That harness is probably still in Am Samoa on Pier Pressure. No way he carried much gear back on the plane. That would have been too much like preparation.

Dunno what to hope for,, who knows what happened,,, **     ....maybe it would have saved him.

........**.....or IF he's met his end.

5 hours ago, Moderate said:

He aint dead.

Ill bet my hookers that he was blown out to the North

Oh sure, you win the hookers, disappear for days, and NOW you want to give them back?

5 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

Tom, time to get ready for those buttery ashes you have so yearned for.

If you look back a bit, you'll see I'm already researching recipes.

Who Killed Davey Moore?

Who killed Davey Moore,
Why an' what's the reason for?
"Not I, " says the referee,
"Don't point your finger at me.
I could've stopped it in the eighth
An' maybe kept him from his fate,
But the crowd would've booed, I'm sure,
At not gettin' their money's worth.
It's too bad he had to go,
But there was a pressure on me too, you know.
It wasn't me that made him fall.
No, you can't blame me at all."
Who killed Davey Moore,
"Not us, " says the angry crowd,
Whose screams filled the arena loud.
"It's too bad he died that night
But we just like to see a fight.
We didn't mean for him t' meet his death,
We just meant to see some sweat,
There ain't nothing wrong in that.
It wasn't us that made him fall.
No, you can't blame us at all."
Who killed Davey Moore,
"Not me, " says his manager,
Puffing on a big cigar.
"It's hard to say, it's hard to tell,
I always thought that he was well.
It's too bad for his wife an' kids he's dead, 
But if he was sick, he should've said.
Who killed Davey Moore,
"Not me, " says the gambling man,
With his ticket stub still in his hand.
"It wasn't me that knocked him down,
My hands never touched him none.
I didn't commit no ugly sin,
Anyway, I put money on him to win.
Who killed Davey Moore,
"Not me, " says the boxing writer,
Pounding print on his old typewriter,
Sayin', "Boxing ain't to blame,
There's just as much danger in a football game."
Sayin', "Fist fighting is here to stay,
It's just the old American way.
Who killed Davey Moore,
"Not me, " says the man whose fists
Laid him low in a cloud of mist,
Who came here from Cuba's door
Where boxing ain't allowed no more.
"I hit him, yes, it's true,
But that's what I am paid to do.
Don't say 'murder, ' don't say 'kill.'
It was destiny, it was God's will."
Who killed Davey Moore,

Sitting somewhere in a village were his requests for trip to mainland, telephone, money are falling on VERY deaf ears. 

7 hours ago, RKoch said:

IIRC someone in Pagopago shipped a bunch of his shit to him. I recall the lifering being on Mimsy, but it could have been another one grifted from West. I assume he would have brought his foul weather gear, sailor costumes, and inflatable life jacket with him. I doubt he ever renewed the CO2 cartridge.

To be fair, I pulled out 3 "retired" inflatable (pre USCG cert variety) from storage in an unheated shed.  Best I can determine, the cartridges and bobbins were more than 10 years old.  Strapped them on some 20 somethings and pushed them into a pool.  All inflated and held air.  Slowest one let the wearer sink fully underwater (about 3 seconds).  The other 2 were immediate inflation.   All 3 held air for a full 24 hours.   

There are "real world" life cycles and "what the manufacturer wants to sell you $40 kits annually to do" life cycles. 

Hopefully Bfloyd will give this thread a break when he wakes up today at some point.

BFLOYD, GIVE IT A BREAK ALREADY! YOU ARE KILLING US WITH NOTHING!!

There. I said it and I'm glad. I even yelled it out which is not uncommon for me

"Do you think," he asks, "that Captain Nemo survived the whirlpool?"

"No," she says. "Yes. I don't know. I suppose that is the point, no? To make us wonder?" She cocks her head. "He was a madman. And yet I didn't want him to die."

10 hours ago, RKoch said:

I think if you take measurements of that reef, youll see it is quite wide. Depending on the sea state it could take quit a while to be washed over that. Also likely, the boat would be pulvarized before crossing the reef halfway. 

I am surprised by the lack of any report of flotsam during the early stages of the search.

Shouldn't there have been some trash or cushions floating in the vicinity?

Just now, Ajax said:

I am surprised by the lack of any report of flotsam during the early stages of the search.

Shouldn't there have been some trash or cushions floating in the vicinity?

Not much from a 30' sailboat that ran onto a reef 10-13 NM from the nearest shore....that and ALL sort of stuff washes up on Fiji's shores 24/7/365

4 hours ago, Captain Bligh said:

I think if you take measurements of that reef, youll see it is quite wide. Depending on the sea state it could take quit a while to be washed over that. Also likely, the boat would be pulvarized before crossing the reef halfway. 

That's what has me puzzled.

If it is quite wide as you say, after the initial break on the reef, the waves will have dissipated most of their energy.  So if Mimsy did hit the reef, she would get pushed or rolled in a ways.   She would quickly become holed so she can no longer float so she quickly becomes a 15,000 lb lump facing greatly de-energized waves.  I would expect her to be lodged in the middle of the reef somewhere rather than pushed over into the lagoon area.

Edit:  In simpler terms, after the initial break,  the reef would act almost like a breakwater.   But that is just a guess.

Since there has been no sighting of Mimsy, I believe it possible that she did not hit it.

Excellent... that and the winds had decreased and were predicted to be around 10 knots for the next 5 day.... so while there may have been larger swells left over from the the blow they would be decreasing by the hour

5 minutes ago, 12 metre said:

If it is quite wide as you say, after the initial break on the reef, the waves will have dissipated most of their energy.  So if Mimsy did hit the reef, she would get pushed or rolled in a ways.   She would quickly become holed so she can no longer float so she quickly becomes a 15,000 lb lump facing greatly de-energized waves.  I would expect her to be lodged in the middle of the reef somewhere rather than pushed over into the lagoon area.

Since there has been no sighting of Mimsy, I believe it possible that she did not hit it.

A few things. At high tide there's several feet of water over the reef, so it's possible breakers washed it across. Companionway (offset!!!) goes down nearly to cockpit sole. Rimas probably not aware of reef, didn't have drop boards in. Never would occur to him.  Only need a couple feet of water inside boat to put cockpit sole below waterline. Scuppers would backfill into cockpit and down companionway, along with additional water washing over side into cockpit. Even if the boat remained afloat after washing over reef, it wouldn't for long...impossible to bail.

while it's certainly possible Rimas did an about face and escaped out to sea to the north, I think it's a low probability. He never mentioned the reef in his last messages, and possibly didn't know it was there. Don't know if he had control over direction, given broken tiller. And we've not seen him previously demonstrate that level of competence and decisiveness. Kon-Tiki style sailing had a Kon-Tiki ending. Karma.

2 minutes ago, RKoch said:

A few things. At high tide there's several feet of water over the reef, so it's possible breakers washed it across. Companionway (offset!!!) goes down nearly to cockpit sole. Rimas probably not aware of reef, didn't have drop boards in. Never would occur to him.  Only need a couple feet of water inside boat to put cockpit sole below waterline. Scuppers would backfill into cockpit and down companionway, along with additional water washing over side into cockpit. Even if the boat remained afloat after washing over reef, it wouldn't for long...impossible to bail.

while it's certainly possible Rimas did an about face and escaped out to sea to the north, I think it's a low probability. He never mentioned the reef in his last messages, and possibly didn't know it was there. Don't know if he had control over direction, given broken tiller. And we've not seen him previously demonstrate that level of competence and decisiveness. Kon-Tiki style sailing had a Kon-Tiki ending. Karma.

While I agree,  my scenario was based on Mimsy being quickly holed and/or flooded after hitting the reef.

If she was still somehow floating, then it would be much easier for Mimsy to be dragged over the reef into the lagoon.  But if that were the case, then likely he could have continued on - unless she was holed right before entering the lagoon or was slowly sinking prior, IDK.

13 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Con-Karma-Tiki?

A few things to consider:

1. I believe the guy on FB (who first announced Rimas' "demise")  mentioned 4 fairly quick pings from Rimas, which I took to mean that Rimas was concerned about something at that point.

2. I think there is some information asymmetry.  We were privy to very little information.  I would have to think Rimas was in contact with Jean somehow other than through regular channels.  On his previous adventures there was also that alleged router based in the UK or something like that who was feeding Rimas instructions.  Going back to Point 1, I believe Rimas was not oblivious to this reef.

3.  Again, I find it entirely in character for Rimas to have pulled the broken tiller plea from his Rolodex of "emergencies"

16 minutes ago, 12 metre said:

While I agree,  my scenario was based on Mimsy being quickly holed and/or flooded after hitting the reef.

If she was still somehow floating, then it would be much easier for Mimsy to be dragged over the reef into the lagoon.  But if that were the case, then likely he could have continued on - unless she was holed right before entering the lagoon or was slowly sinking prior, IDK.

Unless the wreck is discovered, we won't know exactly what happened. A Rawson hull is extremely thick, solid glass. It could possibly survive an initial reef impact. I'm just posing a possible scenerio of the boat sinking without major hull damage. If the boat was caught in breakers and tumbled, the mast was probably taken out by jamming into the reef during the roll-over. Possibly windows blown out (though much more water would flood through the open companionway), and probably some major structural damage. It could float long enough to be washed across the reef. But likely in such a condition that Rimas couldn't stop water from cockpit flooding into cabin...there wouldn't necessarily have to be water ingress by a hole in the hull.

1 minute ago, 12 metre said:

1. I believe the guy on FB (who first announced Rimas' "demise")  mentioned 4 fairly quick pings from Rimas, which I took to mean that Rimas was concerned about something at that point.

2. I think there is some information asymmetry.  We were privy to very little information.  I would have to think Rimas was in contact with Jean somehow other than through regular channels.  On his previous adventures there was also that alleged router based in the UK or something like that who was feeding Rimas instructions.  Going back to Point 1, I believe Rimas was not oblivious to this reef.

3.  Again, I find it entirely in character for Rimas to have pulled the broken tiller plea from his Rolodex of "emergencies"

I think Jack was referring to the last 4 messages, which occurred over a 2 or 3 hour span. this appears to have been several hours before he possibly hit the reef.

I don't think Jack had any information we don't have, which is admittedly little. IDK what private  messages may have been exchanged between Rimas and Jean or others.

I agree we don't know full extent of 'broken tiller' or 'damaged sails'. Rimas certainly did have a track record of embellishment. 

What we do know is that if there was a possible hazard in his path, like Donut Island or the previous one a couple hundred miles before Samoa, Rimas went on endlessly about it. In his last four messages, not a word about Texas Reef, only Noboutini. I suspect he didn't know the reef was there.

13 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Unless the wreck is discovered, we won't know exactly what happened. A Rawson hull is extremely thick, solid glass. It could possibly survive an initial reef impact. I'm just posing a possible scenerio of the boat sinking without major hull damage. If the boat was caught in breakers and tumbled, the mast was probably taken out by jamming into the reef during the roll-over. Possibly windows blown out (though much more water would flood through the open companionway), and probably some major structural damage. It could float long enough to be washed across the reef. But likely in such a condition that Rimas couldn't stop water from cockpit flooding into cabin...there wouldn't necessarily have to be water ingress by a hole in the hull.

the hull may be thick,, but how are the keel attachments after all these years of non-maintenance.

...too many variables,,, speculate ON! 

2 minutes ago, couchsurfer said:

the hull may be thick,, but how are the keel attachments after all these years of non-maintenance.

Don't worry about the keel - it will be held on by a flock of barnacles, all holding hands.

3 minutes ago, couchsurfer said:

Keel is part of the molded hull. Concrete ballast poured in.

6 hours ago, resist said:

"Do you think," he asks, "that Captain Nemo survived the whirlpool?"

"No," she says. "Yes. I don't know. I suppose that is the point, no? To make us wonder?" She cocks her head. "He was a madman. And yet I didn't want him to die."

hear hear 

41 minutes ago, couchsurfer said:

Guessing by the design appearance...the keel may be molded fair body and part of the fiberglass hull with internal ballast

2 hours ago, 12 metre said:

Edit:  In simpler terms, after the initial break,  the reef would act almost like a breakwater.   But that is just a guess.

I just find it hard to believe that Mimsy just disappeared. If broken up there would certainly be large pieces easily seen. Of course there is deep water very close so if she went down in deep water it would be without a trace except maybe for the floating orange ring. I would not be surprise to hear he is alive and well sipping coconut juice on one of the islands.

And then  this:  

1. Jean M I checked and it is an old post. Had he turned the tracker on I would have pinged him and had his current location and sent the troops out to get him.

and then there was this post anyone know if this is accurate?

VFR VERT Rescue and Fiji Navy tweets lead you to believe they are looking for a yacht adrift NORTH of Vanau Levu. Rimas's last plot is EAST of the islands and presumably drifting SOUTHWEST. Are they searching for Rimas in the wrong area, or is there another yacht adrift north of Vanau Levu? I have searched the web for more news from Fiji without success. Anyone else having any luck?

he wouldnt have thought about stormboards, plugging leaks,ready packs,bilgepumps, flare kits.   He was probably asleep, fatigued out of his brain, low on physical energy and the interior completely dishevelled, not able to access hull holes because of junk in lockers, side on to a reef with no way of pushing off, grinding just grinding away on the reef, 8 miles from shore.  His last thoughts before the water closed over him ? The japanese girlfriend who left him, how nobody understood him and how it is all her fault. BITCH.

I think he went catatonic at the first crash. If he had any last thought, it was probably bewilderment why there wasn't a concierge tow like every other time. 

He spoke russian, japanese and english, so he wasnt a total dill. He was on the rebound from a broken relationship with his country and his girlfriend.  Like most other blokes, he made bad decisions during the rebound relationship and his life ended up on the rocks, literally.  He grifted what he could to get by, but there is no doubt that his focus was on escaping from bad past experiences.  He had few options left to him but to run, hide and throw the dice.  As his life ebbed away while his boat chewed away on the reef, Im sure the irony of his demise and the cold unrelenting reef attacking him wasnt lost on him.   Pheremones can really mess with a guys head, but he would be looking back on the good times, but immensely sad that she didnt understand him or care for him enough to weather the ordeals of life with him. Poor bugger, but im sure he was crying like a kid, stuffed tightly into his quarterberth and cursing her at the end...

2 minutes ago, HypnoToad said:

I will add to the mysteries.  How did he make it through the other reefs in his path before Texas Reef? Shear dumb luck?

Most certainly had to be luck....there are some nasty reefs NNE of his last position

8 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Most certainly had to be luck....there are some nasty reefs NNE of his last position

I was looking at those and wondering how he ever made it past them. Made me think that Rimas was aware of what was ahead and not to concerned or he would have been pressing the sos button like he has done in the past. 

2 hours ago, 12 metre said:

Regarding point 1, the only concerns Rimyth expressed were the broken tiller and no one answering this call for a tow. The broken tiller may well have been a ploy to help resolve his main concern... Why does no one answer? I'm a world famous grifter, I mean sailor. Where is my greeting party?

18 minutes ago, Timmys_Trick_Turkey said:

but he would be looking back on the good times, but immensely sad that she didnt understand him or care for him enough to weather the ordeals of life with him. Poor bugger, but im sure he was crying like a kid, stuffed tightly into his quarterberth and cursing her at the end...

I dunno'. Hard to think he was anymore focused on his personal life than he was on his sailing acumen. 

Rimas really has become Schrödinger's cat as was described by someone else many posts ago.  He is currently both alive and dead and will remain that way until observed.  

28 minutes ago, Donovan said:

Rimas really has become Schrödinger's cat as was described by someone else many posts ago.  He is currently both alive and dead and will remain that way until observed.  

We need something like this web site, which would save us posting here:

http://www.abevigoda.com/

3 hours ago, 12 metre said:

For those who may be interested, here is some info on the Rawson; http://www.cruisingworld.com/sailboats/rawson-pilothouse-30-boat-all-seasons 

Keel is the old standby for older full keel boats:  poured concrete and boiler punchings.

The one talked about in this article is the pilothouse model. Rimas's was the original without the pilothouse. Also notice the bowsprit. Original Rawson 30s did not have a bowsprit and developed heavy weatherhelm.

37 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

We need something like this web site, which would save us posting here:

http://www.abevigoda.com/

Well, if everyone just shut the fuck up anyone concerned could just Follow the thread and when solid news arrives we will be notified.

Fat chance.

13 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Well, if everyone just shut the fuck up anyone concerned could just Follow the thread and when solid news arrives we will be notified.

Fat chance.

For the above reasons stated by Ish, I was hesitant to make this reply, but I agree.

I will now shut the fuck up.

Oh for god sake. Other than the witty speculation you guys post that keeps me entertained during my morning coffee, I'm pretty certain that our glorious aground the world non stop world record setting crazy as bat shit cockroach admiral Rimas is as toast as toast can be. Like every good Admiral, he went down with his ship.

Quit for shit sake speculating about Navigating a true course. These things have no bearing (scuze the pun) on a crazy man who floats aimlessly on the waves. If you gave him the keys to your car, Rimas couldn't "steer" his way into a Starbucks drive through with a $50 gift card in his hand  

It is what it is: Crazy old man sets out on a feckless voyage and ends up getting served his dues. Bottom line. Period.

Its no one else's fault for not stopping him; he refused to be stopped. 

It's no one else's fault for not warning him; he refused to heed warning. 

It's no one else's fault for not educating him on the dangers of the ocean; he refused to be educated.

It's no one else's fault for not teaching him to sail; (see above statement)

We all knew it was coming, just a matter of time. That's why we all follow this thread. Like watching the proverbial train wreck when you already know there's a school bus stranded on the tracks and you warned the conductor and the bus driver, and neither one gives a

f---.  So for all you d-bags here, and on farcebook who whine about this, that, and the other, and for some reason think it's our responsibility to save some stupid shit from his own predestined demise I say this:

MAN THE FUCK UP!!

3 minutes ago, thereefgeek said:

Oh for god sake. Other than the witty speculation you guys post that keeps me entertained during my morning coffee, I'm pretty certain that our glorious aground the world non stop world record setting crazy as bat shit cockroach admiral Rimas is as toast as toast can be. Like every good Admiral, he went down with his ship.

Quit for shit sake speculating about Navigating a true course. These things have no bearing (scuze the pun) on a crazy man who floats aimlessly on the waves. If you gave him the keys to your car, Rimas couldn't "steer" his way into a Starbucks drive through with a $50 gift card in his hand  

It is what it is: Crazy old man sets out on a feckless voyage and ends up getting served his dues. Bottom line. Period.

Its no one else's fault for not stopping him; he refused to be stopped. 

It's no one else's fault for not warning him; he refused to heed warning. 

It's no one else's fault for not educating him on the dangers of the ocean; he refused to be educated.

It's no one else's fault for not teaching him to sail; (see above statement)

We all knew it was coming, just a matter of time. That's why we all follow this thread. Like watching the proverbial train wreck when you already know there's a school bus stranded on the tracks and you warned the conductor and the bus driver, and neither one gives a

f---.  So for all you d-bags here, and on farcebook who whine about this, that, and the other, and for some reason think it's our responsibility to save some stupid shit from his own predestined demise I say this:

MAN THE FUCK UP!!

I totally agree. But i do think it irresponsible to send him money and boats. Its like plunging the needle for a heroin addict.

Just now, Captain Bligh said:

I totally agree. But i do think it irresponsible to send him money and boats. Its like plunging the needle for a heroin addict.

I agree. 

Like I said, don't give Rimas your car keys and a Starbucks gift card. 

Or a sailboat, a Delorme, and a Costco sized flat of olives......

I agree, we should all stop posting here to keep clutter down to a minimum. This will be my last post. On an unrelated note, I've been inspired to learn to sail recently, where could I pick up a few quick pointers?

Honestly, I hope he made it and continues onward around the globe (but I seriously doubt it based on his state of mental competency) . 

Im getting bored with the origami boat thread....

1 minute ago, I_Met_Rimas said:

I agree, we should all stop posting here to keep clutter down to a minimum. This will be my last post. On an unrelated note, I've been inspired to learn to sail recently, where could I pick up a few quick pointers?

Here we go again.

3 minutes ago, I_Met_Rimas said:

First pointer is show us some (nice) tits. Second is this is not the how to sail thread.

Grifting Rolodex, that was good...:lol:

He sailed in there and he sailed out of there by the gps and Divine grifting...  Too stubborn a mule to expect otherwise of him. Plenty of food lodged behind the Rolodex...

The Delorme charger jack died..

Rimas pinballs to the next country, like he did in stealth mode leg one. He has a few more free games left.

Alaska is code for San Fran.

Cape Horn is code for Am. Samoa

Australia is code for....Alaska...

il_340x270.591156508_bk62.jpg

9 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

Alaska is code for San Fran.

Cape Horn is code for Am. Samoa

Australia is code for....Alaska...

The reefs of Fiji is code for.....Stairway to Heaven

44 minutes ago, I_Met_Rimas said:

There's an old guy that hangs  out on Texas reef that would be happy to learn you sailin.......chuckle...he is an interpreter and teached me english