• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
buys737

Sailing around the world in a San Juan 24

59 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

Esp the Rimas.

ah yes. I remember thanks. The garmine website indicates the unit is still operational and operating normally. How can that be if it is deep sixed? Wonder if they are not referring to their system and not the rimas around the world account I was looking at?

6 hours ago, RKoch said:

If Rimas cut off the Delorme (or the batteries went dead), it would be hard for him to navigate  back out to the north without input from his router....especially if he had to make a course allowance for current. That's in addition to 'broken tiller' and damaged sails.  Although it's certainly possible, I think it's unlikely he pulled it off. It seems increasingly likely the boat is on the bottom in the vicinity of Texas Reef. Too bad there's been no close search of the shorelines downwind for identifiable flotsam. I'm pretty sure there would be berth cushions, propane bottles, and chunks of interior woodwork. 

You Koch, you and a few others, certainly get it!  Except that you forget about his rather useless Garmin GPS.

Anyway, we for ourselves, we are working on a shore search, or at least more awareness of flotsam or wreckage. The Navy/SAR people had already contacted the Police, but we have now personally met with the two Police area commanders concerned, and supplied them with all the relevant info and pictures. Actually, the Police commander for the Udu Peninsula did just visit several local villages on the peninsula and already asked the fishermen  to keep an eye open.

We have also personally put up a reward of FJ$ 100 for any piece found on the coast that is identified as most likely from the "Mimsy", or FJ$ 500 for the location of the wreck. You are all welcome to chip in for finding Rimas himself, dead or alive, or a skeleton... 

As for the Navy SAR operation, they said they will decide this week whether to officially call off the search, or not. We, a Christian family, we feel they should  search around Texas Reef by boat and divers, or snorkelers, and possibly under water cameras. And may be they could ask the New Zealand  patrol vessel HMNZS Hawea to help in the search. For a bit of info on them see for instance:  http://www.pireport.org/articles/2017/07/23/nz-navy-vessel-picks-50-infringements-fijian-waters

The SAR Operation Officer also confirmed that no one from the U.S.A., no Jean M., nor Jim F. had contacted them whatsoever. Looks like those two are in hiding, or too lazy and dumb to do anything. Any Farcebook updates anyone?

35 minutes ago, Fiji Gone Vuli said:

You Koch, you and a few others, certainly get it!  Except that you forget about his rather useless Garmin GPS.

Anyway, we for ourselves, we are working on a shore search, or at least more awareness of flotsam or wreckage. The Navy/SAR people had already contacted the Police, but we have now personally met with the two Police area commanders concerned, and supplied them with all the relevant info and pictures. Actually, the Police commander for the Udu Peninsula did just visit several local villages on the peninsula and already asked the fishermen  to keep an eye open.

We have also personally put up a reward of FJ$ 100 for any piece found on the coast that is identified as most likely from the "Mimsy", or FJ$ 500 for the location of the wreck. You are all welcome to chip in for finding Rimas himself, dead or alive, or a skeleton... 

As for the Navy SAR operation, they said they will decide this week whether to officially call off the search, or not. We, a Christian family, we feel they should  search around Texas Reef by boat and divers, or snorkelers, and possibly under water cameras. And may be they could ask the New Zealand  patrol vessel HMNZS Hawea to help in the search. For a bit of info on them see for instance:  http://www.pireport.org/articles/2017/07/23/nz-navy-vessel-picks-50-infringements-fijian-waters

The SAR Operation Officer also confirmed that no one from the U.S.A., no Jean M., nor Jim F. had contacted them whatsoever. Looks like those two are in hiding, or too lazy and dumb to do anything. Any Farcebook updates anyone?

Keep looking asshole

44 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

Keep looking asshole

Thank you, I am honored !

Oh, thought you had gone of to the new "Rimas, fake news only" thread...

9 minutes ago, Kenny Dumas said:

"Gone Vuli":  SA metaphor for Shrodinger's Sock?

"Like that Foil Dude gone Way Vuli over the all-purpose foil man..."

Sorry, that's way above a Fijian's boy pay grade. All I have learned sofar, is that on the subject of missing quantum socks, my own experiments have thrown up interesting observations – and we all know how important observation is in quantum theory.

I have discovered it is the rotation of the washing or drying drum that causes the disappearances. Just like a planet, there is a degree of frame-dragging going on. This imparts a stress on space-time and some socks manage to disappear from our continuum.There is evidence – I have noted a missing sock has turned up in a previous wash, indicating time travel of a week or more.

BTW, I need new socks for in my rugby boots, can you send me some, please!

3 hours ago, Fiji Gone Vuli said:

Boring

4 minutes ago, Varan said:

Boring

Sorry to hear, but the whole Rimas thread has become boring, except for the music and the proa's.

Even Rimas thinks so himself...

32 minutes ago, Fiji Gone Vuli said:

Sorry to hear, but the whole Rimas thread has become boring, except for the music and the proa's.

Even Rimas thinks so himself...

Okay, how about the studio version for Rimas...

Peace to Rinse.

36 minutes ago, Varan said:

Peace to Rinse.

That's beautiful and amazing, thank you.

"The Sleep of Reason Produces Monsters" might be appropriate too?  

1 hour ago, Varan said:

Peace to Rinse.

Nice. I sent a link to my friend currently touring Georgia. This is her playing with Tommy Emmanuel.

5 hours ago, alphafb552 said:

What, pining for the fjords?

:P

Lovely plumage, the Norwegian Blue.

I think it is very interesting that Jean has pretty much gone to ground.  Perhaps he has washed his hands of the whole affair.

Back to following Web Chiles.   Smaller boat, bigger sailor.

On 8/5/2017 at 9:11 PM, Moderate said:

Nope, Im the asshole in the E27.

Download the PDF here https://www.latitude38.com/eBooks/2009/L38200911.html pg 73 I think.

I took that 4knt shitbox from SF Bay to Acapulco and back

Ever go to Hawaii?  Looks like someone there might be wanting to talk to you.  

6 hours ago, alphafb552 said:
13 hours ago, pbd said:

Much like a Norwegian Blue. 

What, pining for the fjords?

:P

I think he's pining for a Chevy

FB- Doug

If he'd just retired from sailing (or posting about it) after that first harrowing voyage from almost Mexico to Hilo with half his standing rigging gone, he'd be remembered more as a cool and brave, albeit clueless but really lucky, dude.

If....if....

if wishes were horses, then beggars would ride...

15 hours ago, Fiji Gone Vuli said:

The SAR Operation Officer also confirmed that no one from the U.S.A., no Jean M., nor Jim F. had contacted them whatsoever.

So who did raise the alarm if it was not Jean?

1 hour ago, hobot said:

Is I is or is I not not adding Rimas to my Sig line of Anarchist's?

Maybe you need to add a "Pending" list.

6 hours ago, We are Rimas! said:

So who did raise the alarm if it was not Jean?

Where are you man, I wanna go fishing.  This thread is as dead as the "Round the Horn world record sailing hero" [presumably] is.

So, is

No consros tilles too damhgehere mondaz just curret pushing boat very not cllearo where end up

the last we here from him?

13 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Ever go to Hawaii?  Looks like someone there might be wanting to talk to you.  

Tell them to pry that $98 out of my cold dead hands

6 minutes ago, Moderate said:

Tell them to pry that $98 out of my cold dead hands

cool when someone cry's over $98 .

3 minutes ago, bigrpowr said:

cool when someone cry's over $98 .

Im not cryin' about it , Sol brought it up

33 minutes ago, Moderate said:

Im not cryin' about it , Sol brought it up

i was referring to the guy in hawaii .

While I was out sailing yesterday I had seen the Mimsy, and then she disappeared as quickly as she appeared. 

Do you believe in ghost ships? 

3 minutes ago, LTR said:

While I was out sailing yesterday I had seen the Mimsy, and then she disappeared as quickly as she appeared. 

I thought I smelled it when I rode by the sewage treatment plant. 

4 hours ago, LTR said:

Step aside Captain van der Decken, your Flying Dutchman must make now way for the Flying RUSSIAN

On 8/14/2017 at 5:40 PM, RKoch said:

Nice. I sent a link to my friend currently touring Georgia. This is her playing with Tommy Emmanuel.

Well played that man!

Not often you would see Tommy E upstaged  by someone else on the guitar.

Just got back from nats...  So he is dead then??  But we have no conformation...  Have the buttery ashes been served??  

Will someone promise to post a "Rimas is Alive" or "Rimas is Dead" thread if we find out any news. I keep checking back but its annoying sorting through all the babble.

Just now, Mizzmo said:

I smelled a rat but it was pretty well played though, he had me searching the Fiji Times website.

Me too.  Fiji Times will be wondering why so many hits for today's paper.

No more Rimas, no more Brent Swain. I don't know what I'm going to do with all my free time! I will miss the entertainment.

It looked so wrinkled and newspaper-like, it could have fooled this ex-paperboy *.

I wonder if he or Mimsy will ever be found.  Big ocean, unless they're on that reef..

* The "Times" I mean, not the "Wanker"   ;-)

4 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

rimas_lives.jpg

I love it! Good job.......When this hits the press it will likely inspire thousands of young people to follow in his.....path. I can see  the future as hundreds follow his path over loading ERS assets world wide drinkin starbucks and eating buttery Idaho tatters

13 hours ago, cosmicsedso said:

Well played that man!

Yep, and she can sing. Thank you RKoch. 

15 hours ago, cosmicsedso said:

Well played that man!

She's upstaged quite a few notable guitarists, you should hear her on electric.

Funny story....several years ago she went on Jam Cruise, and happened to meet Steve Kimmock, lead guitarist for Ratdog (Bob Weirs Grateful Dead spinoff) and for the Dead (the reunited Grateful Dead after Garcia died). He invited her to jam with he and several members of the Dead (Phil Lesh and Mickey Hart) on their last night performance. So, she's up there jamming away with them on her acoustic guitar, and after a few songs Steve says let's see how you do on electric, and they swapped guitars.

Now, it so happens that about 5 years earlier Id taken her and her then band to see Ratdog, as they'd never heard Grateful Dead songs played live. One of the stagehands was her rock-guitar teacher, and as they were breaking down the stage he let Christie hold Steves guitar and examine and drool over it. Same guitar Steve has just now handed her to play. They start a song, it gets to the solo, and she rips one out. Steves jaw hits the floor...she's played his solo note for note. He can't believe it and asks her how she did it, and she matter of fact says "Oh, I saw Ratdog at a show 5 years ago".  She has the musical equivilent of a photographic memory...only has to hear a solo or phrase once, and can recall it years later, perfectly.

Shes expert in many genres, had some amazing teachers, and been onstage or recording studios with rock, jazz, middle eastern and flamenco guitarists...also knows folk, funk, and blues expertly. The guy who taught her the tapping style is Sean Frenette, an amazing guitarist up there in the PNW you guys should go see.

10 hours ago, Mizzmo said:

Will someone promise to post a "Rimas is Alive" or "Rimas is Dead" thread if we find out any news. I keep checking back but its annoying sorting through all the babble.

follow this twitter feed. https://twitter.com/VFRfiji I would assume you would close the  search and rescue with something. But  updates are few and far between. 

2 hours ago, RKoch said:

She's upstaged quite a few notable guitarists, you should hear her on electric.

Funny story....several years ago she went on Jam Cruise, and happened to meet Steve Kimmock, lead guitarist for Ratdog (Bob Weirs Grateful Dead spinoff) and for the Dead (the reunited Grateful Dead after Garcia died). He invited her to jam with he and several members of the Dead (Phil Lesh and Mickey Hart) on their last night performance. So, she's up there jamming away with them on her acoustic guitar, and after a few songs Steve says let's see how you do on electric, and they swapped guitars.

Now, it so happens that about 5 years earlier Id taken her and her then band to see Ratdog, as they'd never heard Grateful Dead songs played live. One of the stagehands was her rock-guitar teacher, and as they were breaking down the stage he let Christie hold Steves guitar and examine and drool over it. Same guitar Steve has just now handed her to play. They start a song, it gets to the solo, and she rips one out. Steves jaw hits the floor...she's played his solo note for note. He can't believe it and asks her how she did it, and she matter of fact says "Oh, I saw Ratdog at a show 5 years ago".  She has the musical equivilent of a photographic memory...only has to hear a solo or phrase once, and can recall it years later, perfectly.

Shes expert in many genres, had some amazing teachers, and been onstage or recording studios with rock, jazz, middle eastern and flamenco guitarists...also knows folk, funk, and blues expertly. 

Be talking to Calvin about this post. He lives Ratdog and other  "Leshtivals", 

She's too awesome, I can't get my guitar to do that ;)

41 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

Be talking to Calvin about this post. He lives Ratdog and other  "Leshtivals", 

She's too awesome, I can't get my guitar to do that ;)

Playing with Tim Reynolds (of Dave Matthews Band) and his band TR3, on electric guitar. Sound is crappy, sorry. She plays with Tim pretty often, and he's guested on a few tracks on a couple of her CDs. Jeff Coffin (sax player for Dave Matthews) has also guested on a couple songs on her CD. 

Beer, you might like this. She's using an Engle (drumstick for guitars) while playing a Vilette Gryphon (12-string soprano guitar). Original song, she wrote as part of an Engle instructional series of videos.

DEVELOPING: Updated as news arrives.

The yachting world has been shocked to hear Iconic Australian yacht designer Bob Perry has been implicated in a conspiracy to murder Rimas by bribing his English router to send the rawson 30 "mimsy" over the reef to its demise. Investigations are continuing but police will allege the motive was commercial, to ensure Bob's naval architecture & design review business does not collapse when people realise, contrary to Bob's sales pitch, that they do not need up to 4 custom yacht's each, worth an estimated $2-3m USD, just to sail to the Pacific islands. 

The onion reached out to Bob's office today but a dog answered the phone & we don't speak dog. 

5 hours ago, SCANAS said:

DEVELOPING: Updated as news arrives.

The yachting world has been shocked to hear Iconic Australian yacht designer Bob Perry has been implicated in a conspiracy to murder Rimas by bribing his English router to send the rawson 30 "mimsy" over the reef to its demise. Investigations are continuing but police will allege the motive was commercial, to ensure Bob's naval architecture & design review business does not collapse when people realise, contrary to Bob's sales pitch, that they do not need up to 4 custom yacht's each, worth an estimated $2-3m USD, just to sail to the Pacific islands. 

The onion reached out to Bob's office today but a dog answered the phone & we don't speak dog. 

Cadaver dogs were then used to find many bones, balls, and toys buried at Mr. Perry's beach shack. Things look grim.

He didn't get in the line for 'Boat Designers Named Bruce' line in time. They had all been handed out by the time he got to the head of the line. They told him he would just have to be happy that he got a first name that started with 'B' and that those were almost gone too. 

21 minutes ago, HypnoToad said:

If Bob Perry is Australian, shouldn't he be named "Bruce"?

I like those Hartleys better than the afore-referenced Mr Roberts' designs. And it's Richard, which is a plus. from the website:

Achievements.....Since their introduction, our boats either professional or amateur built, have logged thousands of major achievements in skill and endurance by both craft and skipper. Many have made global circumnavigations and ocean crossings. Some examples are Atlantic crossing in a 'Hartley 16'. First woman solo Cape Town to England. First woman solo crossing of the Tasman Sea. Peter Freeman in his home built 'Hartley 32', held the monohull single handed round the world non-stop sailing record for boats under 50' for almost 20 years.

3 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

He didn't get in the line for 'Boat Designers Named Bruce' line in time. They had all been handed out by the time he got to the head of the line. They told him he would just have to be happy that he got a first name that started with 'B' and that those were almost gone too. 

Excellent.

Thanks Bull,

That is sort of a joke with Bob Perry. I think he did something in his Sailing review page on the subject. I also heard Bruce Marek (partner of Bruce Nelson) make a similar joke at an IBEX seminar. I'm to lazy to compile the list of Bruces who are yacht designers, but I bet Bob Perry has it on tap somewhere.

On 8/16/2017 at 1:24 AM, sailronin said:

Any wreckage found yet?

Excuse the thread drift, but nothing found yet as far as we know. However, never mind the non believers. but today I traveled 3 hours on a bumpy bus to my cousin uncles in Nawi. Tomorrow we will go to Rabi and Texas Reef in their fiber (panga) to search for the Mimsy. We will tow 2 of us with snorkel's behind the boat, and if we spot anything they can free dive quite deep. They also have a good underwater camera. We know it's like looking for needle in a Haystack, but we'll give it a shot. We just need a lot of devine luck !

4 hours ago, Fiji Gone Vuli said:

Excuse the thread drift, but nothing found yet as far as we know. However, never mind the non believers. but today I traveled 3 hours on a bumpy bus to my cousin uncles in Nawi. Tomorrow we will go to Rabi and Texas Reef in their fiber (panga) to search for the Mimsy. We will tow 2 of us with snorkel's behind the boat, and if we spot anything they can free dive quite deep. They also have a good underwater camera. We know it's like looking for needle in a Haystack, but we'll give it a shot. We just need a lot of devine luck !

Well then we can expect to photos...right ?

13 minutes ago, Legion of Modernrate Jack said:

Exactly it is not like Mimsy is huge like an MAS 777 airplane! Maybe flight 370 is hiding with the chicken?

mimsy.jpg

Where in the fuck is Jean!!   That sorry sack of shit got this dumbass in this mess and he needs to at least seek closure for the family.  

6 hours ago, Fiji Gone Vuli said:

Great! Happy hunting. Please send us pix. I tried to find pix of the reef on the net but found nothing

Thanks for your efforts

Jean hasn't been active on FB since the 8th. He usually posts every other day or so.

6 minutes ago, We are Rimas! said:

Jean hasn't been active on FB since the 8th. He usually posts every other day or so.

Wow. What a chickenshit. 

Just now, RKoch said:

Wow. What a chickenshit. 

maybe he went to fiji

1 hour ago, AYC said:

Where in the fuck is Jean!!   That sorry sack of shit got this dumbass in this mess and he needs to at least seek closure for the family.  

Family??  Don't think anyone really cares so much...  

Just now, Blue Crab said:

Maybe he's in the doghouse at home and Mrs Jean took away his phone.

he has a gf not a wife.

4 minutes ago, We are Rimas! said:

maybe he went to fiji

He went hiding. I will be surprised if someone doesn't initiate a lawsuit against him