• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
buys737

Sailing around the world in a San Juan 24

1 hour ago, We are Rimas! said:

I think you meant to say your a 'patient at a nut hospital.'

chuckle.......thanks I needed a good laugh..

However, I did learn to be very patient with nuts in nut hospitals. Glad that period in my life is behind me.

For what its worth I'm gonna miss you all when this thread dies. I think this thread has brought together a world record collection of the finest bunch of sailors, wannabes and mariners, not to forget dirt bags ever assembled on SA. May the Gods watch over you all and bless you with fair seas, favorable winds, and no unforeseen reefs!

1 hour ago, RKoch said:

What did Rimas ever do that displayed mental competence?

exactly............or maybe the answer is; discover starbucks?

1 hour ago, RKoch said:

What did Rimas ever do that displayed mental competence?

That's why it is sad.

Rimas displayed an imaginary grasp of reality but no cognitive reality.

Jean presumes to be an authority on matters sailing, but he is a nong. His suggestion that Rimas could tow a large dinghy to Hawaii amongst many other pieces of advice marked him as an idiot. The Facebook enablers rounded out the farce.

I'm fairly convinced Rimas is no longer with us.

His life and (possible) death has all the grotesque beauty of a Felini movie... but it is still a human story.

I hope the enablers get a mirror shoved in their dreamy faces to show them that they knew nothing of what they where arguing for.

Full suppprt for the enablers. No doubt Rimas knew the risks, good way to go out & good on the enablers for helping him do what he wanted. 

1 minute ago, SCANAS said:

Full suppprt for the enablers. No doubt Rimas knew the risks, good way to go out & good on the enablers for helping him do what he wanted. 

Stirrer

I'm serious. Wouldn't surprise me if he was sitting on an island eating coconuts waiting for ohey, a good story. 

2 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

I'm serious. Wouldn't surprise me if he was sitting on an island eating coconuts waiting for ohey, a good story. 

It would surprise me, but I hope you're right.

1 hour ago, Trickypig said:

Jean presumes to be an authority on matters sailing, but he is a nong.

A new word has entered my lexicon.  A "nong".  I quite like it!

If Rimas does have dementia or some other incurable mental ailment then let's be honest here: would you rather die slowly as a burden to your family, friends and the healthcare system? Or get shoved out to sea of your own volition and die doing something reasonably interesting...? For me the latter is clearly preferred. He is by no measure a hero [in my book], but if he sees himself as such in his last moments then hey, more power to him.

My only real issue with Rimas is his invoking SAR operations (and this is a significant issue). People donating money/resources to him: I don't mind, they're consenting adults.

5 hours ago, bfloyd4445 said:

chuckle.......thanks I needed a good laugh..

However, I did learn to be very patient with nuts in nut hospitals. Glad that period in my life is behind me.

For what its worth I'm gonna miss you all when this thread dies. I think this thread has brought together a world record collection of the finest bunch of sailors, wannabes and mariners, not to forget dirt bags ever assembled on SA. May the Gods watch over you all and bless you with fair seas, favorable winds, and no unforeseen reefs!

Huzzah for the Dirtbags!!

8 minutes ago, AmericanVagrant said:

If Rimas does have dementia or some other incurable mental ailment then let's be honest here: would you rather die slowly as a burden to your family, friends and the healthcare system? Or get shoved out to sea of your own volition and die doing something reasonably interesting...? For me the latter is clearly preferred. He is by no measure a hero [in my book], but if he sees himself as such in his last moments then hey, more power to him.

My only real issue with Rimas is his invoking SAR operations (and this is a significant issue). People donating money/resources to him: I don't mind, they're consenting adults.

I'm pretty sure the people donating thought they were giving to Great American Adventure Huge Geography, not an assisted suicide.

He had a place to stay in Hawaii, he left because his boat was about to be seized because he refused to pay dockage. There was also likely housing for him in Samoa, but he didn't know how to sail into a wide open harbor so he drifted past. He ended up wrecking in Fiji, Con-Tiki Style, which was the inevidable end.

56 minutes ago, AmericanVagrant said:

My thoughts exactly. 

20 hours ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Well then we can expect to photos...right ?

18 hours ago, bfloyd4445 said:

Great! Happy hunting. Please send us pix. I tried to find pix of the reef on the net but found nothing

Thanks for your efforts

Sorry guy's, we searched all along the reef along Rabi and then all along the inside and some of the outside of Texas Reef, but nothing, zero, found. We have spoken to the only family living on the east side of Rabi and they had not seen or heard anything. Also with some spear fishing men right on Texas Reef who had been fishing there for weeks, except during the bad weather the days before Rimas' last messages, and they had not seen anything either.

More on this later, its getting late. Will try to send a picture or 2 now, but internet is very slow here, and I seem to loose my messages all the time. Will send more and possibly our search track tomorrow.

IMG_20170818_210754_035.jpg

1503016955100.jpg

1503013111051.jpg

9 hours ago, SCANAS said:

Hangeng withe Amellia Airehartes grankiddes and greate grankiddes.

PFP, that took 3 tries and about 15 min.

The first pic you must zoom in a fair bit. It's the northern end of the reef, taken from the outside. You see the reef breaking a fair bit in the fore ground, then a big rock in the middle of that lagoon, and in the far back ground Udu peninsula.

Then a pic of me, fiji gone wild, and my uncle and his son, and a pic of that fishermen we talked to.

OK, bed time now and tomorrow morning early back in the bus. More to follow, g'night!

14 hours ago, Trickypig said:

Jean presumes to be an authority on matters sailing,.

I never got this impression. Jean is not presumptuous. While Jean has no blue-water experience, Jean has common sense and a soft spot for Rimas.

8 hours ago, AmericanVagrant said:

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, Fiji Gone Vuli said:

The first pic you must zoom in a fair bit. It's the northern end of the reef, taken from the outside. You see the reef breaking a fair bit in the fore ground, then a big rock in the middle of that lagoon, and in the far back ground Udu peninsula.

Then a pic of me, fiji gone wild, and my uncle and his son, and a pic of that fishermen we talked to.

OK, bed time now and tomorrow morning early back in the bus. More to follow, g'night!

Wow. You guys are really putting out the effort. Are you planning on searching any more? You said there is an exposed rock on the reef, but how deep is it on average over the reef?

9 hours ago, RKoch said:

I'm pretty sure the people donating thought they were giving to Great American Adventure Huge Geography, not an assisted suicide.

He had a place to stay in Hawaii, he left because his boat was about to be seized because he refused to pay dockage. There was also likely housing for him in Samoa, but he didn't know how to sail into a wide open harbor so he drifted past. He ended up wrecking in Fiji, Con-Tiki Style, which was the inevidable end.

In general people enjoy watching others get splatted as long as they can do so from a safe position. If that were not the case blood and guts would not be so popular at the movies.

4 hours ago, Fiji Gone Vuli said:

Are the sea conditions in the pictures normal for this area? And thanks to you all for your efforts.

4 hours ago, Fiji Gone Vuli said:

That picture is to low a resolution to zoom in on. Can you post a zoomed in image?

1 hour ago, Alan Crawford said:

Sorry if you didn't get the "Amateur" reference. Maybe this will help. 

Professional:

Screen Shot 2017-08-18 at 9.22.25 AM.png

can this be bronzed and erected in Sausalito

So

No wreck

No deportation

No SAR contact

No body reported

No debris of Nat geo maps mixed with Costco food boxes and blouses

No flares sighted

No cruisers report

No fishers reports 

Go the Rimas !!

24 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

So

No wreck

No deportation

No SAR contact

No body reported

No flares sighted

No cruisers report

No fishers reports 

Go the Rimas !!

That is certainly one way of looking at it.

6 hours ago, Fiji Gone Vuli said:

Sorry guy's, we searched all along the reef along Rabi and then all along the inside and some of the outside of Texas Reef, but nothing, zero, found. We have spoken to the only family living on the east side of Rabi and they had not seen or heard anything. Also with some spear fishing men right on Texas Reef who had been fishing there for weeks, except during the bad weather the days before Rimas' last messages, and they had not seen anything either.

No debris, no flotsam, no washed-up Idahoan potato packets.
I think it's pretty clear now that Rimas somehow pinballed his way through the archipelago and simply continued his aimless drifting.

BJ, I'd batten down my hatches; he appears to be headed your way...

10 hours ago, SCANAS said:

My thoughts exactly. 

...and if he didn't have dementia but was simply misguided and encouraged by other misguided people, do you still regard it a good end to his life?

2 hours ago, We are Rimas! said:

Wow. You guys are really putting out the effort. Are you planning on searching any more? You said there is an exposed rock on the reef, but how deep is it on average over the reef?

I thought this poster had been identified as a sock puppet, is everybody starting to believe differently? 

5 minutes ago, mad said:

I thought this poster had been identified as a sock puppet, is everybody starting to believe differently? 

He's admitted he's a sock himself, but, there's no accounting for some people..  ..  ..  

2 minutes ago, mad said:

He signed up on the 28th, several days before Rimas went missing. Rimas would have been invisible on Fijian media then. He writes in American vernacular. He has shown some knowledge of Fijian culture, so he's been there, lives there, or has done his research. But he's an American, not a Fiji school boy. 

Google Image search brought up nothing, so could be real.  But I guess photos could have been pulled from an old issue of Fiji Times Online or somewhere else in that region.

3 hours ago, We are Rimas! said:

I never got this impression. Jean is not presumptuous. While Jean has no blue-water experience, Jean has common sense and a soft spot for Rimas.

Towing a dinghy to Hawaii is common sense?

No... he was helping Rimas but gave it no care or attention or common sense.

45 minutes ago, Trickypig said:

Towing a dinghy to Hawaii is common sense?

No... he was helping Rimas but gave it no care or attention or common sense.

My understanding....Jean sailed on a lake with his previous boat, and cruises SF Bay in his current boat. He does appear to know how to sail, although no bluewater or even coastal experience of which I'm aware. He's a low-budget cruiser, appears to keep up with maintainence reasonably well, and has a good DIY work-ethic. Some of his efforts are a bit goofy, or show a lack of sea-experience, though. Having Rimas tow the dinghy is one example.

19 minutes ago, 6924 said:

FB chatter ? 

I think FB may be quiet, though if there's any interesting chatter I hope someone posts it here.

26 minutes ago, RKoch said:

My understanding....Jean sailed on a lake with his previous boat, and cruises SF Bay in his current boat. He does appear to know how to sail, although no bluewater or even coastal experience of which I'm aware. He's a low-budget cruiser, appears to keep up with maintainence reasonably well, and has a good DIY work-ethic. Some of his efforts are a bit goofy, or show a lack of sea-experience, though. Having Rimas tow the dinghy is one example.

Stern mounted Confer racks with fuel jugs and coolers sitting 6 feet above the water line is another.

28 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Hey Stalker, maybe you need to find a new boyfriend.  Creepy.

9 minutes ago, E_Rock said:

Hey Stalker, maybe you need to find a new boyfriend.  Creepy.

Rimas bequeathed you his chicken to choke. Have at it, knob-polisher.

3 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

So

No wreck

No deportation

No SAR contact

No body reported

No flares sighted

No cruisers report

No fishers reports 

Go the Rimas !!

Yeah, I was going to come here to post that I bet $0.05 the sonofabitch turns up in Aus or NZ, shrivelled up but alive.

59 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Rimas bequeathed you his chicken to choke. Have at it, knob-polisher.

I think Rimas will take care of that until next port he finds Sailor who Loves.  A stalker boy like you should know a bit more about "Faith"

I have purposely stayed off this this thread.....     but I have one word for those that think Rimas is still alive........    (drinking) WATER.

27 minutes ago, Kingstonsail said:

I have purposely stayed off this this thread.....     but I have one word for those that think Rimas is still alive........    (drinking) WATER.

That is two words.

5 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

So

No wreck

No deportation

No SAR contact

No body reported

No flares sighted

No cruisers report

No fishers reports 

Go the Rimas !!

No maraschino cherry juice slick either.

4 hours ago, Trickypig said:

...and if he didn't have dementia but was simply misguided and encouraged by other misguided people, do you still regard it a good end to his life?

No, everyone has fallen for a sales pitch and been taken for a ride at some point in their lives and if that's the case with Rimas, which I sincerely doubt, you are right it isn't a fitting end. 

1 hour ago, E_Rock said:

I think Rimas will take care of that until next port he finds Sailor who Loves.  A stalker boy like you should know a bit more about "Faith"

Oooo, my very own sock puppet. Dance, boy, dance.

1 hour ago, Bull City said:

That is two words.

the first word was for Bfloyd....didnt want him to confuse drowning water with drinking water....though in retrospect....  whichever...    WATER

1 hour ago, Blitz said:

No maraschino cherry juice slick either.

339.jpg

goodbye cherries......

37 minutes ago, Kingstonsail said:

the first word was for Bfloyd....didnt want him to confuse drowning water with drinking water....though in retrospect....  whichever...    WATER

Hey watch it there. Everyone knows water is for fishing boating, for everyday liquid refreshment  beer is for drinkin........geez......used to never use water cept for bathing and recreation.  Plain water can kill ya!  Water contains all kind of pathogens chemicals poop urine. In the hills our preferred beverages are made from apples roses grapes honey and most anything else that can be fermented to be sure it is safe to drink......We aint stupid you know.

You be one of them teetotalers ? Is so that explains a lot of things.....

4 hours ago, Kingstonsail said:

WATER...

Water? Never touch the stuff... fish fuck in it.

- W.C. Fields

"Is it true, Mr. Fields, that when you stood on the corner of Hollywood and Vine, 43 cars waited for your nose to change to green?"

7 hours ago, Trickypig said:

Ken Oath

........perhaps this whole drama is part of Capt. Rimius'  NEW ORDERS !!!

Captain Rimius:
................It reminds me of the heady days of Sputnik and Yuri Gagarin when the world trembled at the sound of our rockets. Now they will tremble again - at the sound of our silence. The order is: engage the silent drive.    (I know both Bfloyd and I are trembling...at least we have each other)

"

4 hours ago, Kingstonsail said:

He learned how to get rain water long ago as he can set a sail to do anything, from shrimping to sailing.

No water 3 days, right out of  the rolodex. 

Cherry water. Gallons of it...:wacko:

Mashed potatoes, 50 percent water.

Ok I made the last part up...

He'll be tied up next to BJ next week. 

And BJ will be shopping for deals on machetes

34 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

He learned how to get rain water long ago as he can set a sail to do anything, from shrimping to sailing.

No water 3 days, right out of  the rolodex. 

Cherry water. Gallons of it...:wacko:

Mashed potatoes, 50 percent water.

Ok I made the last part up...

I think yur on the right track, all that is needed is  some wild yeast, and u should be good to go. That cherry water, depending upon the source, may contain formaldehyde

Drift past Fiji and hit Australia was my entry in the last competition.

My entry is still very much alive for Mimsy (but not so sure about Rimas)

I'm checking in for my every couple of months update on Rimus' exploits and adventures.  What's this crazy guy up to?  Last I checked in, he was drifting at about 1.3 kts due south of Hawaii.  

I'm guessing he's either:

1. Dead and his desicated body is still floating around in his dismasted boat.
  2. Never left Hawaii and instead he set his boat adrift and is hoping to collect the life insurance payout on the policy that Jean bought for him.
  3. Actually drifted into AUS waters and the AUS immigration police sent him to Nauru for good.
  4. Currently sitting on BJ's boat in port and they are swapping stories of chicken choking on the high seas.  

17 hours ago, E_Rock said:

Stalker? Coming from a shit talker?!

20 hours ago, Bull City said:

20 hours ago, Kingstonsail said:

That is two words.

One word "Rain".

9 hours ago, Godzilla said:

One word "Rain".

one word......   "you know this is Rimas we are talking about....his idea of collecting rain is opening his mouth...and he is even too lazy to tip his head upward"

Hi, just recovering from a stomach upset, that maybe came from the sausages I brought with me to Nawi.. Anyway, the thread is slowing down a lot, so I can take it easy, and will post some more pictures and try to answer most of the questions raised, one at the time.

First a little more on the bus trip. We paid F$ 8 per person for the 2 1/2 hour trip + F$ 10 extra for the 100 liter (25 gal.) premix fuel in 5 jerry-cans (1 US$ = 2 F$). Those were put in the luggage hold, tightly packed with our backpacks and bags with rice and sugar, and lots bread and tin food. A bit of a time bomb really, as the jerry-cans don't close properly, and would start leaking if they fell over. Let alone what would happen in case of an accident... It was a pretty fast ride, largely over unpaved roads, until a tree had fallen over the road. They were in the process of cutting it away with a chainsaw, but had run out of fuel. Well, we had plenty and soon the tree was skilfully removed enough to let us through.

IMGP0080 (3)resized.jpg

IMGP0083(2) resized.jpg

That's a very beautiful tree on Nawi landing. 200 years old and still standing after cyclone Winston with 150 knots wind.

And we take our safety very seriously, all boats need official registration, a 2 yearly survey, and check on the safety gear.
And the captain needs a "boat master licence" as well.

IMGP0102(2) resized.jpg

I have to say say regardkess of the indescribable quantity of detritus extant in this thread which must be waded though to find nuggets of truth and tragically funny banter, this tree fucking made my day. I dont care who you are or why you're here, thats an awesome tree. Thank you.

...keep it up SGV,, the investigation, the stories,  not so much the egoistic sass though.

It looks like you've got 'nuff for decent respect.  ;)

Right now you have this thread in the bag,, and perhaps any hope of rustling up signs of Rimas.... IF these aren't stock photos.  :mellow:

On 8/19/2017 at 3:27 AM, We are Rimas! said:

Happy to see at least some of you appreciate our hard work, instead of the bickering about sock puppets...

Not planning another search on Texas Reef, at least not until the cyclone season in the summer, from November to April, when there are a lot of very calm days. That is if there is no cyclone of course, LOL.

We would like to go to the Udu (Undu) peninsula, but north of Naboutini there is only dirt track and it is a vast coast with reefs. A careful search with a plane or helicopter would be the only way. I do know someone with a private plane, he is not a sailor but a good person and might ask him.

We did not have a depth sounder, but on the charts it says 45 meter (24 fathom) over much of the inside of the reef, and much shallower on the northern end in a kind of a lagoon, where the rock stands out. See nav chart detail below:

Texas Reef CM93.png

2 hours ago, couchsurfer said:

...keep it up SGV,, the investigation, the stories,  not so much the egoistic sass though.

It looks like you've got 'nuff for decent respect.  ;)

Right now you have this thread in the bag,, and perhaps any hope of rustling up signs of Rimas.... IF these aren't stock photos.  :mellow:

SGV ? Shit Gone Vuli ? Too much beer on the couch ?  ;)

And sass, was ist das ?

Anyway, you sound positive, much obliged !  So, specially for you, a shallow bit of the reef, no pun intended...

1503012487536_small.jpg

On 8/19/2017 at 4:31 AM, bfloyd4445 said:

Are the sea conditions in the pictures normal for this area? And thanks to you all for your efforts.

No, not normal for the dominant trade winds. This was a relative quiet day, and also behind the reef it is obviously much more quiet then outside. And certainly when Rimas supposedly "landed"  here, the left over swell from the "storm", 1-2 days earlier, must have been breaking a lot more.

Nevertheless, even now the seas were breaking more then you might think, see pictures.  

Zoomed in on next post.

IMGP0128 (2).JPG

On 8/19/2017 at 6:25 AM, RKoch said:

He signed up on the 28th, several days before Rimas went missing. Rimas would have been invisible on Fijian media then. He writes in American vernacular. He has shown some knowledge of Fijian culture, so he's been there, lives there, or has done his research. But he's an American, not a Fiji school boy. 

This time you got it all wrong. I said I heard some kaivalagi talking about this idiot Rimas the sailorman, that was when he was approaching those dangerous reefs in Fiji. That was on the 28th. when I googled SA  and signed up.

And Rimas has been completely invisible on the Fijian media sofar, apart from those Twitter air search pictures.

American vernacular ? Had to google that word, but we are all rapping like fucking american rappers, like Chris Brown - Fuck Em All

all these niggers ain't no me, / Cause I'm the man of the hour, ..

And "some" knowledge of Fijian culture ? I told you all about my family, and all the exam subjects, so I live there, and do my research on Rimas ! 

And I said I was not a Texan, just to trick you into thinking I was American, I am not ! :lol:

Me don't lie, but I already told you I had a split personality, schizo you know, and my alter ego is not  a schoolboy like me, but a man of high standing in the sailing world...;) And he is not a sock either cause he never posted in SA before, I swear by God !

So just for you, these r me:

IMGP0118 (3).JPG

me.jpg