• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
buys737

Sailing around the world in a San Juan 24

2 hours ago, captpiratedog said:

I give it about 2-3 hrs befor Rkok starts bitchn about the broken mast story....

Hard headed fuck you all the cucaracha of the sea is alive!

I would love to see who's the first denier to bitch about Rimas...

Unbelievable.

From his FB page a short while ago:

Sherri Riggs added 5 new photos.

Today the US Coast Guard along with help from police rescued this man 17 miles off the shore of Saipan. The waves were taking over his boat (15-20ft high!!) They brought out their helicopter and rescue boat to tow him into port. Once there they found out he had been at sea for 137 days (4 1/2 months) straight. He basically drifted with help from a jimmy rigged sail (his main sail broke) from Fiji to Saipan. He didn't think he would make it. When he got to Saipan I interviewed him for the news. Afterward we were talking and he said he just wanted fresh grapes and fresh food. So me and Braden (aka best BF ever) took him grocery shopping for fresh food and out to dinner. We met up with friends and he said all he wanted to do was talk! So we sat and talked. He's such an amazing quirky person and I'm glad he's safe and made the treacherous trip in one piece!

Pics of him in a grocery store, among others.

It's still something of a mystery how he "Friended" someone on FB back on October 7th.

Fuckin A

Rimas' world tour, getting towed at exotic ports around the globe continues.

Cockroaches everywhere admire this super hero.

Thank good he’s alive. No one likes a dark ending to a saga.

figure anyone of us trips over a rock and dies. This guy gets lost at sea 3 times and keeps coming back. God loves drunks and fool’s. Get him to pick the lotto numbers.

Hawaii to Alaska... via Fiji (almost) and Saipan. Rimas the intrepid mariner. I want someone to ask him what happened in Fiji. How did he escape the reef?

He claims it was hard to go north from Fiji to Saipan. Isn't he just drifting? What are the prevailing winds?

I stand in awe...Rimas got the USCG to tow him once again and is safe in port (where he will run up bills for someone else to pay). Amazing survival skills! 

Holly Fuck!

I'm thinking that some award should be given to the Rimas. Perhaps a "new" boat can be found in Florida for him.

I'd really like to see him go East. GO with the wind Rimas....

Go The Rimas!

137 days drifting at sea and the first thing he does? --- He gets someone else to buy him groceries and dinner!

Is getting trashed on SA actually good luck??

Reid..

now (again, now?) Rimas

If we're nice to someone and send money and support, is that sure damnation??

Apparently not--

Bismarck Dinius

This SA stuff is really confusing.

27 minutes ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

I'm just glad that my hopes of seeing Mimsy rafted to Evenstar remain alive.

You are just glad you aren't choking down some butter ashes. But you are right that BJ should be afraid, very afraid...

42 minutes ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

I'm just glad that my hopes of seeing Mimsy rafted to Evenstar remain alive.

Given I know BJ's next 6 month cruising itinerary and planned locations - I wonder what it would be worth it to him for me NOT to send that information to Rimas?  ;)

1 hour ago, LTR said:

Has to be FAKE NEWS........

Don't discount this.  Something smells fishy, aside from Rimas himself.  This feels like it was staged somehow.  NFW he did this on his own.

8 hours ago, SCANAS said:

Fuck all the soft cock's that said enablers had sent a delusional elderly man to his death. He knows EXACTLY what he's doing. Someone get Webb Chiles on the phone ... 

Well that was certainly me and I am gobsmacked that he was able to extract himself with the damage he reported.

It's business as usual with Rimas. He is still a liability.

I'm absolutely delighted he is still alive and this will only create more of the legend that is Rimas the famous record breaking captain.

P.S. I'm not sure Webb Chiles would like being compared to Rimas.

Okay, Rimas is alive and in Saipan.

Now, I am not yet believing he was about to hit a reef several thousand miles away in Fiji and drifted across currents and upwind to Saipan.

We have been punked, electronically speaking.

Can't undestand a word he's saying. And would someone cut and paste the FB comments, please?

not understanding how dismasted leaves the mast standing...unknowledgeable reporter?

im glad he was found alive and preserved his perfect record of always being towed into port.

8 hours ago, 12 metre said:

The only thing that surprises me is the number of people who thought he was fish food.

Let's see now - it's been about 6 months since he departed Hilo and he allegedly had 6 months of provisions.

Yup, the Whack-a-Mole has popped up with perfect timing.

Any time he announces a broken something from his rolodex , i.e. rudder, mast, etc. etc. it doesn't mean the part is actually broken and that he is in danger, it means "where the fuck is my free tow."

Yes, apparently this time it was the 'broken' mast. Crying 'wolf' has worked again.

26 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Can't undestand a word he's saying. And would someone cut and paste the FB comments, please?

not understanding how dismasted leaves the mast standing...unknowledgeable reporter?

im glad he was found alive and preserved his perfect record of always being towed into port.

i think that was the excuse he used this time to get a tow.

2 hours ago, Bull City said:

Hawaii to Alaska... via Fiji (almost) and Saipan. Rimas the intrepid mariner. I want someone to ask him what happened in Fiji. How did he escape the reef?

He claims it was hard to go north from Fiji to Saipan. Isn't he just drifting? What are the prevailing winds?

My first thought also. The fucking cockroach is gonna make it to Alaska. 

He had prevailing trade winds from ESE-SE heading NW out of Fiji. I have no idea how he managed to escape the minefield of reefs there. Obviously he had some steerageway, so his claims of no steering were lies, in order to get a tow. Same old Rimas. He probably got out of the tradewinds fairly soon, into the ITZ doldrums. I have no idea how he managed to get through them. IIRC, Saipan is a bit north of equator, nearly same latitude of Hawaii. That would be a beam reach in NE trades.

I listened to some of the interview, but I could not understand most of what he said. Did he give any explanation of how he got from his last reported position, a few miles from Texas Reef, to open water?

He does have now 5 months of SS checks coming...$1500+ . That should get him a used mainsail and provisions. Hope he heads for Alaska in the spring.

Why wait until spring? I hear Alaska is lovely in the winter.

Rimas the Iceman.

1 minute ago, Bull City said:

Why wait until spring? I hear Alaska is lovely in the winter.

It'll take him a few months until he successfully badgers Shannon and Jean to fix and refit his boat for him. Certainly you don't expect Rimas to do it.

1 hour ago, DavidC59 said:

137 days drifting at sea and the first thing he does? --- He gets someone else to buy him groceries and dinner!

and clothes from the look of it

I think Rimas demonstrated a certain petulance by going to radio silence when nobody would give him a tow in Fiji.

I also suspect he knows that US territories are the only ones that will afford him the free tow concierge service and the collection of SS checks.

Saipan became his next US destination.

2 minutes ago, Trickypig said:

I think Rimas demonstrated a certain petulance when he went to radio silence when nobody would give him a tow in Fiji.

I also suspect he knows that US territories are the only ones that will afford him the free tow concierge service and the collection off SS checks.

The reporter lady said his satellite phone broke. I'm assuming that was the Delorme. Maybe Rimas parked it on a PFD and set it free towards Texas Reef while he was happily sailing towards Taipan.

The endless unfuckingbeliveable story continues.

I gave him a tiny chance of avoiding Texas reef or the big island. 5 % maybe.

Fiji to Guam 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 %

5 minutes ago, Trickypig said:

I think Rimas demonstrated a certain petulance by going to radio silence when nobody would give him a tow in Fiji.

I also suspect he knows that US territories are the only ones that will afford him the free tow concierge service and the collection of SS checks.

We'll probably never get a straight story on what happened to the DeLorme or how he escaped Texas Reef with his claimed damage.

The US, NZ, and Australia are the only countries with the resources to provide rescues over large areas of the Pacific. I think  Japan sticks pretty close to home. The smaller islands of Oceania simply don't have the resources for maintaining their boats and aircraft, let alone extensive SAR...best you'll get a a couple of policemen in a panga operating nearshore.

yea, Rimas knew what he was doing heading to Marianas. He knew he'd get a USCG tow if he claimed damage, and he knows the grifting will be good.  Dockmaster better insist on being paid in advance...if he doesn't, Rimas will stiff him again.

8 minutes ago, Trickypig said:

Less than 270nm per WEEK.

That's actually an average speed record for him. 

50 minutes ago, HypnoToad said:

He picked a great island to grift on.  No Starbucks though, but the Cha Cafe should do him well..

3.jpg

....might be some use for his translator skills, as if.  :mellow:

49 minutes ago, We are Rimas! said:

Yes, apparently this time it was the 'broken' mast. Crying 'wolf' has worked again.

Yah, likely story.   Afterall the masthead sheave is worn out.  :(

16 minutes ago, HypnoToad said:

Rimas Around the World!  Non-stop Hilo to Saipan.

Untitled4.jpg

......circling the Gyre...once he finds it, and all the cool (radioactive) stuff,, will he ever leave!?  :rolleyes:

• Downvote 1

If anyone cares to look, I know I don't, I said upthread, something that if Rimas got past Fiji, without smashing into something, it would be due to divine providence, a benevolent diety, or alien intervention.......

Me, I'm going with aliens.

8 minutes ago, madohe said:

If anyone cares to look, I know I don't, I said upthread, something that if Rimas got past Fiji, without smashing into something, it would be due to divine providence, a benevolent diety, or alien intervention.......

Me, I'm going with aliens.

His enablers qualify.

The big question for me is how the hell he did not go insane from boredom. Oh wait, he is already insane.

No books, no radio, no vision, no sailing, etc... Gotta be so fricken boring drifting to nowhere.

3 minutes ago, Knothead said:

The big question for me is how the hell he did not go insane from boredom. Oh wait, he is already insane.

No books, no radio, no vision, no sailing, etc... Gotta be so fricken boring drifting to nowhere.

He's got the National Geographic magazines and his chicken to keep him company...

But seriously, I think he just goes into a semi-comatose trance. It would not surprise me if he avoided Texas Reef by going asleep and just letting the boat drift. He hasn't previously demonstrated any ability to deliberately maneuver his boat, evidenced by always needing a tow to enter even the most simple harbor entrance.

im still lmao at Furnish's obsession with SA. It appears he lurks quite a bit. 

Just now, RKoch said:

He's got the National Geographic magazines and his chicken to keep him company...

But seriously, I think he just goes into a semi-comatose trance. It would not surprise me if he avoided Texas Reef by going asleep and just letting the boat drift. He hasn't previously demonstrated any ability to deliberately maneuver his boat, evidenced by always needing a tow to enter even the most simple harbor entrance.

im still lmao at Furnish's obsession with SA. It appears he lurks quite a bit. 

You can imagine that many enablers, now feeling great relief at his survival, will now be absolutely confident of his abilities again.

43 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Chip needs to fire up the Rimas Adrift blog again. Too bad there's no DeLorme pings and messages.

I turned on the automatic updater again on the outside chance that he gets the DeLorme going. 

So I wonder where it was that he declined to get into the coast guard chopper (or cutter)?

31 minutes ago, Trickypig said:

You can imagine that many enablers, now feeling great relief at his survival, will now be absolutely confident of his abilities again.

Yea, Furnish is crowing like a Trumpette....as if Rimas grift-drifting across the Pacific and requiring yet another tow into port is an accomplishment that somehow gets one over on us 'yotties'. I'm glad Rimas is alive...he's still a moron. 

We can be thankful that no one got hurt trying to rescue him. Luck runs out at some point, hopefully he hangs it up before he gets the CG into shit.

9 minutes ago, Kenny Dumas said:

Fucking amazing.

In the interview, he says he hailed a Korean ship and got food, water, and batteries.

...panhandling in the middle of the Pacific....who's gonna say no!?  :lol:

Image result for panhandler pictures

• Downvote 1

Just now, couchsurfer said:

...panhandling in the middle of the Pacific....who's gonna say no!?  :lol:

Image result for panhandler pictures

It's the law of the sea...helping sailors in distress. Even if they're morons.  Rimas and his enablers are simply clueless that constantly requiring assistance indicates zero seamanship, not hero status.

So, just noticed that Jim Furnish deleted his post from Rimas' FB page. Glad I captured it and posted it above. I'm sure his sock lurks amongst us and is as much a douche as we are.

EDIT:  He didn't delete. I just don't know how FB works. 

1 hour ago, RKoch said:

We'll probably never get a straight story on what happened to the DeLorme or how he escaped Texas Reef with his claimed damage.

The US, NZ, and Australia are the only countries with the resources to provide rescues over large areas of the Pacific. I think  Japan sticks pretty close to home. The smaller islands of Oceania simply don't have the resources for maintaining their boats and aircraft, let alone extensive SAR...best you'll get a a couple of policemen in a panga operating nearshore.

yea, Rimas knew what he was doing heading to Marianas. He knew he'd get a USCG tow if he claimed damage, and he knows the grifting will be good.  Dockmaster better insist on being paid in advance...if he doesn't, Rimas will stiff him again.

I think he felt rejected when he couldn't get a tow. He postures as needing a rescue since something always `breaks' when he needs a tow. He has sounded petulant before when he couldn't get a tow into Hawaii, San Francisco, Kirabati and Samoa(the first time). His messages have said "c'mon guys..." and had a winey tone

I actually think he gave the Delorme a miss after no response to his requests for a tow/rescue approaching Fiji. It was his only point of contact and nobody came up with the goods.

We get glimpses of the `real' Rimas when he perceives that someone doesn't jump in to help the `great voyager'.

Furnish drops the bomb and the responses from those named all read like a bunch of mast, enablers, had a to get a tow, sleep drifting, gag, gag, gag....enjoy the chicken.  Ahaha. 

You have to hand it it to the crazy Russian. True grit. Dude is tougher than whale shit and probably smells like it too. Somehow he finds a way.  I'm happy to see he made it. 

7 minutes ago, E_Rock said:

Furnish drops the bomb and the responses from those named all read like a bunch of mast, enablers, had a to get a tow, sleep drifting, gag, gag, gag....enjoy the chicken.  Ahaha. 

You have to hand it it to the crazy Russian. True grit. Dude is tougher than whale shit and probably smells like it too. Somehow he finds a way.  I'm happy to see he made it. 

Everybody is wise after the event. Furnish thought he was dead as a doornail.

38 minutes ago, By the lee said:

Speak for yourself.

+10000, The man is still a griftingkontikichickenchoker.  Glad he is alive, but srsly, a monkey on a piece of plywood with a frigging coconut could have done the same thing without needing a tow.  

UFB.  IIRC Windy.com was predicting the wind to shift to the S as he was approaching the reef in Fiji, apparently that happened before he washed up.  Strange that the DeLorme "broke" right at that time.  Glad (and astounded) that he's alive. 

16 minutes ago, shaggy said:

+10000, The man is still a griftingkontikichickenchoker.  Glad he is alive, but srsly, a monkey on a piece of plywood with a frigging coconut could have done the same thing without needing a tow.  

Interesting that they aired a story about a real Kon Tiki sailor right after Rimas on the newscast.

http://www.saipantv.com/video.asp?vidID=4793&secID=36

13 minutes ago, CruiserJim said:

UFB.  IIRC Windy.com was predicting the wind to shift to the S as he was approaching the reef in Fiji, apparently that happened before he washed up.  Strange that the DeLorme "broke" right at that time.  Glad (and astounded) that he's alive. 

Deliverance,,  a different sort of wind doth he set his sails   :o

• Downvote 1

Let's discuss his next move.

How long in Saipan?

Will he leave via boat or plane?

What will be the next land mass he arrives on?

So many questions.

5 minutes ago, LTR said:

Let's discuss his next move.

How long in Saipan?

Will he leave via boat or plane?

What will be the next land mass he arrives on?

So many questions.

He will sail if there is anywhere downwind that has an American coastguard towing service.