buys737

Sailing around the world in a San Juan 24

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

Teeth are way more fun. If you stop whacking them on the head you won't get bit.

ah geez......that's no fun, is a smack on the bare bottom allowed?.....I guess a little nip harms nothing, just an excuse to continue punishment and training right? Never known a woman that didn't need training.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2017 at 2:14 AM, Great White said:

From FB, Jean Mondeau posted the following:

Rimas Meleshyus update.  He departed Saipan for Guam last week.  It's 133 miles distance.  He should arrive in three weeks Rimas style.

Is this the straight poop?

Was he towed out and cast adrift? If so who by?

Does he have sufficient supplies on board for another driftathon?

On 12/20/2017 at 2:14 AM, Great White said:

From FB, Jean Mondeau posted the following:

Rimas Meleshyus update.  He departed Saipan for Guam last week.  It's 133 miles distance.  He should arrive in three weeks Rimas style.

1 hour ago, TQA said:

He got towed out by the Boating Police, whatever that means.

I haven't seen any mention of his state of supplies, but if he was planning to drift to Guam (133 miles) I hope he has enough to drift to Japan (700ish miles), or Alaska...

Those two women that left Hawaii and sailed south and then drifted close to Guam also makes me think the current is having more effect on these drifters than wind or sails.

I'd guess 'Boating Police' are somewhat akin to marine patrol. 

Rimas had amassed roughly $2000 in SS checks by the time he was towed in to Saipan. Guessing he stocked up on plenty of buttery instant mashed potatoes and maraschino cherries. Whatever was left over probably went to further jury-rigging his jury rigs. Maybe Jean went dumpster-diving for a couple more sails to send him. No telling where he might wash up next. IIRC the DeLorme is broken, and Shannon likely cancelled the account.

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 7:02 PM, madohe said:

You are correct sir, it is reidiculous.

The epic threads have very little to do with sailing or reality for the most part, Reid and voidHo, Hot Rod( whatever happened to lil' Murray), Rimas, ad infinitum.....

:wacko:

Bismarck Dinius being the exception.

• Like 1

So, the legendary Rimas is off on yet another epic drift (rather like this SA thread which does tend to go off topic). I wonder where and when he'll end up this time? There's quite a bit of hard stuff en-route to Guam: Tinian, Tasumi Reef, Aguijan, Rota.

My money's on the Aleutians; it's a big archipelago.

Just now, Para Handy said:

So, the legendary Rimas is off on yet another epic drift (rather like this SA thread which does tend to go off topic). I wonder where and when he'll end up this time? There's quite a bit of hard stuff en-route to Guam: Tinian, Tasumi Reef, Aguijan, Rota.

My money's on the Aleutians; it's a big archipelago.

Bottom of the ocean....but this thread will live on....

Looks like some deep swirly action around Davao City.

It will be interesting to see if he is more affected by wind or current and where he ends up. I'm guessing with so many islands around the Philippines, he will have trouble missing shallow bits.

Too bad about the Delorme, 

Calling for a tow will not be effective in the PI. Dead batteries in the radios and no fuel in the CG boats. However assistance from a fishing craft might be possible. Many of those about in fair weather. But I would doubt they understand the keel/reef compatibility issues as they draw just inches themselves.

The currents on the E facing PI coast are famously fearsome. His unpowered boat, even under tow, will be like a turd in a toilet. Very few safe harbors.

Panhandling will work in the PI. Diligent grubbing all day could produce 100 pesos. Almost enough for a single small Starbucks.

Hilariously sad. I’ll keep an eye out for him. I am presently on the Quezon coast...a likely spot for waste from Saipan to wash up.

59 minutes ago, daddle said:

Hilariously sad. I’ll keep an eye out for him. I am presently on the Quezon coast...a likely spot for waste from Saipan to wash up.

So if someone were to get an activated Delorme into your hands, maybe it could get on Mimsy?

27 minutes ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

So if someone were to get an activated Delorme into your hands, maybe it could get on Mimsy?

5200 one into a food storage compartment, he'll never look there.

Recent FB chatter.

Rich VanDusen God Speed would certainly get him there quicker than he’s used to. Perhaps God can help him set his main & jib?

Remove
Jim Furnish
Jim Furnish Belay that jabber!! He always winds up right where he is supposed to be!

Remove
Elleda Rhiannon Wilson
Elleda Rhiannon Wilson Did Rimas take off again???

Remove
Jim Furnish
Jim Furnish Yes..Sherri Riggs TV reported it in a comment on one of her news stories that he left Saipan a week ago. Jean confirmed it here. He was in complete facebook and phone silence mode for nearly a month. This run he has been plagued with his communications both at sea and on the beach. Hoping he winds up in Japan....lots of small boat harbors in Japan and they have a lot of phones there, too.,

Remove
Elleda Rhiannon Wilson
Elleda Rhiannon Wilson Jim Furnish Oh crap. Wonder where he'll wind up. Which way do the currents go in that neck of the woods?

Remove

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

5200 one into a food storage compartment, tool locker, he'll never look there.

Correction humbly submitted.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TQA said:

15 hours ago, TQA said:

I think you should ask two or three more times.

We need a plan to deliver a Delorme next time the Mimsy is sighted.  Strictly for his safety of course, ahem.  But it's a crime to humanity to miss out on the forthcoming found poetry.

6 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Yes. Will do. I’ll ziptie it to a sheet winch so it will not be disturbed.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

49 minutes ago, daddle said:

Yes. Will do. I’ll ziptie it to a sheet winch so it will not be disturbed.

If the ladder is still around, I was going to suggest attaching it to a spreader. That way it might still be sticking up if the boat sinks in shallow water.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Cape_taco12 said:

Hes Really been pushing his luck for years now. Either that or he really wants his grave to be at Sea.

it will end something like this....

"If a tree falls in the forest and no one hears it, does it make a sound?"

Interestingly, Rimas now has 4 facebook profiles. You can follow the main one without a friend request, which is handy since he bounced me while he was still in Hawaii.

Jean thinks Rimas will wash up in Japan. I kind of think the current might have more effect on Rimas than the wind in the long term since he basically is not using sails at all.

So that leaves a battle between the windage of his topsides taking him to the Philippines versus the crusty underwater ecology being pushed towards Japan.

Then there is the question of whether he eventually starves to death on the way to either landfall.

1 hour ago, SailBlueH2O said:

it will end something like this....

"If a tree falls in the forest and no one hears it, does it make a sound?"

That's what we thought happened off Fiji. Then, like a sea-going cockroach adrift on a coconut, he popped up again. A miracle attesting to the ocean currents and winds. 

2 minutes ago, Volkeno said:

Interestingly, Rimas now has 4 facebook profiles. You can follow the main one without a friend request, which is handy since he bounced me while he was still in Hawaii.

Jean thinks Rimas will wash up in Japan. I kind of think the current might have more effect on Rimas than the wind in the long term since he basically is not using sails at all.

So that leaves a battle between the windage of his topsides taking him to the Philippines versus the crusty underwater ecology being pushed towards Japan.

Then there is the question of whether he eventually starves to death on the way to either landfall.

Current would need to be more than 2 knots. IDK what strength is there. If he was towed out last week, and Guam is only 130 odd miles away, I'd say he'd be there by now if he was able. I think he's Con Tiki drifting downwind, towards NW Philipines.

48 minutes ago, RKoch said:

That's what we thought happened off Fiji. Then, like a sea-going cockroach adrift on a coconut, he popped up again. A miracle attesting to the ocean currents and winds. 

And tenacity. Gotta  give the dumbfuck that.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

And tenacity. Gotta  give the dumbfuck that.

I don't know that I'd call it tenacity. That implies putting forth a greater than normal effort. Rimas puts out no effort at all. He just has a high tolerance for discomfort, because resolving the discomfort involves work. He would rather sit in the dark than replace a lightbulb.

Just now, Oronoco said:

He wanted to leave for Japan in February 2018. Perhaps he's going to nearby Guam to do a complete refit on Mimsy.

Bwhahahahahaahahahaa......

He probably would not have been towed out if he said he was going any real distance, so he said Guam and everyone was happy.....

4 minutes ago, Oronoco said:

He wanted to leave for Japan in February 2018.  Perhaps he's going to nearby Guam to do a complete refit on Mimsy.

I don't think he left by choice.

Picking Guam is wishful thinking more so than a declared objective. He previously lived on Guam, probably thinks the panhandling is good there. But he doesn't want to go there bad enough to bother learning to sail upwind. So he'll just drift again. Refit is out of the question unless someone does it for him. He couldn't even figure out how to drop his jib in Saipan.

10 minutes ago, Oronoco said:

He wanted to leave for Japan in February 2018.  Perhaps he's going to nearby Guam to do a complete refit on Mimsy.

I'm not sure there is enough caulk in the world for that.

Put me down for Vietnam in April.  Why?  Because why not?

Hi, after following the Rimas for a couple of years I stumbled onto this thread last summer. Had a lot of fun reading, sometimes almost laughed my balls off.... :-)

I come from Holland and invited Rimas over here but he is still a long way on the other side so I doubt I will ever meet our world famous sailor.

Here is some FB chatter I found:

Jean Mondeau: I feed and keep him.  So he does not stray far from me.  He is like a little bird, like a sparrow spouting out feats of grandeur. That's why I call him Rimas Spero

Jim Furnish: So glad you're able to keep in touch with him now that he's far out there-and hope he has a functioning phone now- if he gets to Japan it will be, as far as Im aware, his first visit to a harbor that is not in a US state or territory so best he has all his quackers in a line, Who knows when we'll hear from him again?

FB is putting its money on Japan....

talk to to you later,

Dutchie

4 hours ago, Volkeno said:

There is no way he could have negotiated reefs or negotiated the many islands in his previous voyage safely without using sails. Doesn't this prove beyond doubt that he does have sailing skills? 

The problem with Japan...

1) It's upwind. Rimas is unable to sail upwind.

2) It's winter, and probably a bit stormy.

3) Heavy commercial traffic, and he has limited communication, no AIS or even a radar reflector, and is mostly incapable of maneuvering his boat. 

Rimas takes the path of least resistance, to minimize the effort he has to put out. That means he's drifting  downwind.

4 minutes ago, bfloyd4445 said:

There is no way he could have negotiated reefs or negotiated the many islands in his previous voyage safely without using sails. Doesn't this prove beyond doubt that he does have sailing skills? 

He posted pictures of sails. Granted they were but rags and poorly trimmed, but sufficient enough to sail in a general downwind direction with limited maneuverability.  Avoiding reefs and atolls was purely luck, not skill. If he had even an iota of skills he wouldn't need to be towed in and out of every single harbor.

2 hours ago, RKoch said:

He posted pictures of sails. Granted they were but rags and poorly trimmed, but sufficient enough to sail in a general downwind direction with limited maneuverability.  Avoiding reefs and atolls was purely luck, not skill. If he had even an iota of skills he wouldn't need to be towed in and out of every single harbor.

I didn't see any evidence he was towed into the last harbor. How did he avoid the reef against tide current and wind then? So you think God was protecting him.......or maybe he is the new messiah?

• Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, bfloyd4445 said:

I didn't see any evidence he was towed into the last harbor. How did he avoid the reef against tide current and wind then? So you think God was protecting him.......or maybe he is the new messiah?

Go up thread. He was towed into Saipan after refusing to be rescued by CG chopper.

10 minutes ago, bfloyd4445 said:

Notte siurre baote the Messier stauffe butte mabey RM singes thisse tho himself;

:)

41 minutes ago, bfloyd4445 said:

for someone who spends so much time in this thread ... :rolleyes:

31 minutes ago, bigrpowr said:

for someone who spends so much time in this thread ... :rolleyes:

He's only here to punch imaginary Mexicans.

Folks, it's only 133  miles to Guam and coming up on two weeks after departure from Saipan.  Surely he should be approaching the harbor by now, even at less than knot average.  One thing I've noticed it Rimas always lands on the CONUS, a US protectorate or territory.  Smart; things could get ugly if he lands elsewhere. So Japan, Indonesia, Vietnam, Russia, New Zealand, Australia are off his charts.  I'm interested in how the next few days transpire.

5 minutes ago, axolotl said:

Folks, it's only 133  miles to Guam and coming up on two weeks after departure from Saipan.  Surely he should be approaching the harbor by now, even at less than knot average.  One thing I've noticed it Rimas always lands on the CONUS, a US protectorate or territory.  Smart; things could get ugly if he lands elsewhere. So Japan, Indonesia, Vietnam, Russia, New Zealand, Australia are off his charts.  I'm interested in how the next few days transpire.

Maybe Tasha is steering.

49 minutes ago, axolotl said:

He has little control over where he drifts. The reason he lands on US territory is because we're the only ones stupid enough to respond to his hails for a courtesy tow.  ATM, anyplace downwind of Saipan is fair game, though he might find USCG tows rather hard to come by. Without a tow, he won't get near an island, and will float on past. He could be adrift for several months, no telling where he'll end up.

12 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

That sondes horride........               :)

It’s not really that hard if you’ve been drinking whiskey 

If he can only go downwind  and only lands on American possessions and there is no longer any American presence in Subic Bay, then it's Diego Fucking Garcia or Bust.

4 hours ago, sail(plane) said:

WHY OH WHY NO DELORME??

The Delorme appeared to have stopped charging somewhere between Samoa and Saipan. He was relying on a portable solar panel to keep it charged and I'm pretty sure the inReach products don't have removable/replaceable batteries. It might be as simple as he needs a new solar charger, a new cable, or it could be that the connector finally corroded away to nothing or even that the battery reached the end of it's life. My bet is on corrosion around the connector. 

If he ever shows up again, he'll need a new device as well as a new charging solution. 

7 hours ago, Volkeno said:

If he can only go downwind  and only lands on American possessions and there is no longer any American presence in Subic Bay, then it's Diego Fucking Garcia or Bust.

Key West via Cape Horn!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, some dude said:

Key West via Cape Horn!

If he makes it to Key West, I'm driving down to give him a chart to Toms dock.

25 minutes ago, RKoch said:

What on earth would he do with it?

• Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 4:51 PM, RKoch said:

Go up thread. He was towed into Saipan after refusing to be rescued by CG chopper.

I stand corrected, but, who navigated through the reefs and islands for him? He has  sailing, navigation skill, and is playing us like a cat does with a mouse. 

• Downvote 1

4 hours ago, bfloyd4445 said:

I stand corrected, but, who navigated through the reefs and islands for him? He has  sailing, navigation skill, and is playing us like a cat does with a mouse. 

So, you’re an idiot, right?

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, Ishmael said:
10 hours ago, RKoch said:

What on earth would he do with it?

Take out the RR bridge would be my guess.

he';s probably still pointing south thinking he'll get to Guam...it's gonna be Phill or Indo ..Sulawesi  if he keeps pointing south and does the general crab walk sailn course... or Dutertes reef villains 

The general consensus is Rimas can't navigate or sail worth a damn. On that basis is it fair to conclude the first question he asks his tow/rescuers is, "Where am I?"

The second question of course is, "Where's the nearest Starbucks?"

I have this image of Rimas tying Mimsy up at the Pearly Gates and St Peter saying to him, "You're late. We were beginning to get worried."

35 minutes ago, Para Handy said:

The general consensus is Rimas can't navigate or sail worth a damn. On that basis is it fair to conclude the first question he asks his tow/rescuers is, "Where am I?"

The second question of course is, "Where's the nearest Starbucks?"

I have this image of Rimas tying Mimsy up at the Pearly Gates and St Peter saying to him, "You're late. We were beginning to get worried."

Pearly Gates ?....more like eternal Purgatory 

One anomaly that strikes me is how clean his bottom is. Mimsy that is, lets not dwell on the alternative.

Any boat that has been in the warm waters of the Pacific for months usually has a considerable amount of growth including goose barnacles. There was a pic of the stern of Mimsy shortly after he arrived in Saipan in pretty clear water. 

No growth was visible, none, nada. 

When was Mimsy last antifouled? 

This plus his miraculous escape from the Texas reef and some seriously intricate reef navigation is making me wonder.

Is this whole thing an elaborate attention seeking scam?

If so boy have we been pranked. We are talking prank of the century.

14 hours ago, bfloyd4445 said:

Excuse me, but I consider myself smarter than a cat. Mostly. You and the mouse... good analogy.

As do you, though, I wonder still how he got away from Fiji.  My preferred answer is a whopping dollop of stupid good luck as opposed to skill of any sort.