• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
buys737

Sailing around the world in a San Juan 24

2 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:
3 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

Peter Johnstone  comes up as Rimas’s first friend. Maybe he can help with a boat

Ist Rimase/Mimsey a testebed fore nexte generartion of J boattes?

Any luck on working J-boats's 2010s buzzword "speedster" into the Rimas story?

8 minutes ago, some dude said:

not so sure about that

Count on it. He doubtless lurks here but I'd say his cheerleading for Rimas is in the same enabling mode as Jean and Shannon Buys, the OP.

Jim is having fun with this but I think he'd suck Rimas' large geography if he had a chance.

Kind of like making fun of a Down's kid and no one on FB has called him on it. Fuck you Jim Furnish.

• Like 1

I’ve been following this thread for over a year but still don’t have a handle on who these other characters are in the story!

Can someone people provide a description in 150 words or less of the relationship of the following to Rimas

1. Jean

2. Jim

3. Shannon Buys

4. Am I missing anyone else in the cast?

5 minutes ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

I’ve been following this thread for over a year but still don’t have a handle on who these other characters are in the story!

Can someone people provide a description in 150 words or less of the relationship of the following to Rimas

1. Jean

2. Jim

3. Shannon Buys

4. Am I missing anyone else in the cast?

Jean met and befriended Rimas while Jean was stationed in Guam. 30 or so years ago. They lost touch, but Jean reconnected when he saw story about Rimas lawn-darting first boat on a remote Alaskan beach. Jean subsequently gave Rimas 2 more boats, and bought materials and supplied labor to fix them up. He has repeatedly tried to teach Rimas to sail, but Rimas stubbornly refuses.

Jim is a troll who frequents Rimas's FB page, laying on insincere praise that would make Eddie Haskell blush. He is a former commercial fisherman from Alaska who thinks Rimas is getting one over on 'yotties'. I take it he has some kind of grudge against recreational sailors/cruisers.

Shannon is an airline pilot. He set up Rimas's crowd-funding pages, FB page, and provided the now broken DeLorme. He started this thread to seek donations to replace rigging on Rimas's second San Juan. 

cryptic and open to interpretation as always....

"

Sailing alone around the world will be continue. I'm looking for sponsor now to return to Hawaii and finish my adventure

is Rimas looking for a sponsor to return to Hawaii....or after returning to Hawaii finding a sponsor ?

slim pickings in Hawaii I suspect for boats

1 hour ago, RKoch said:

Jean met and befriended Rimas while Jean was stationed in Guam. 30 or so years ago. They lost touch, but Jean reconnected when he saw story about Rimas lawn-darting first boat on a remote Alaskan beach. Jean subsequently gave Rimas 2 more boats, and bought materials and supplied labor to fix them up. He has repeatedly tried to teach Rimas to sail, but Rimas stubbornly refuses.

Jim is a troll who frequents Rimas's FB page, laying on insincere praise that would make Eddie Haskell blush. He is a former commercial fisherman from Alaska who thinks Rimas is getting one over on 'yotties'. I take it he has some kind of grudge against recreational sailors/cruisers.

Shannon is an airline pilot. He set up Rimas's crowd-funding pages, FB page, and provided the now broken DeLorme. He started this thread to seek donations to replace rigging on Rimas's second San Juan. 

148 words (according to my word processor). Well done, you met the brief. :)

Rimas does the atlantic....

Introduce him to the Florida current and, well, hilarity ensues...

Also, smaller geography, with new and interesting people to con.

6 minutes ago, madohe said:

Rimas does the atlantic....

Introduce him to the Florida current and, well, hilarity ensues...

Also, smaller geography, with new and interesting people to con.

Actually a Gulf Stream ride from the Yucatan Channel to Europe is perfect for his skill set....too bad he'd be plowed under by  commercial shipping

Rimas will have some tale to tell, depending on the author who puts it into words. I hope if Jean can do it,he can make sure the details get written and some epic highlights like his shipwreck are complete.

Rimas did a lengthy audio interview after his Alaska trip, where he claims to have learned to sail the [first] SJ24, Caesura, Caesura - Wikipedia over a winter season. This may translate to just motoring around, given his abilities. He may have learned to anchor but he offers little detail. I assume he lived aboard then. In the interview he clearly states he sailed upwind and against the current on his way to the Aleutians. Rimas Meleshyus - Radio Interview by Cory Kaimana Barros recommendations on SoundCloud

It is one of my goals to sail there one day and I have been reading what I can find online about Alaska, this winter.

The famous Lawn Dart crossed my mind and I was curious just when and where Rimas went aground near Atukan Island. The passage time, CG rescue, passing ship discovery, total time shipwrecked and day of the beaching don't exactly fit to the Rimas timeline so his tide and weather at the time of grounding is a guess...
Akutan pdf nautical chart
Akutan - Google Maps
FPI Aleutian Islands-Akutan Anchorages
Akutan Alaska, drone spring 2017 - YouTube 
Akutan Alaska Mooring basin- Small Boat Harbor
Bays in Alaska - Alaska.Guide
Fox Islands Passes - Wikipedia 
Climate of Unimak Area, Alaska
Akutan, Alaska - Wikipedia

Several SA posters who have been to the Aleutians before know firsthand that area well. Even Mr Furnish fished commercially up there, he wrote.
 It is a sobering sight to see the limit of the pack ice on the charts and watch video of the conditions up there, including this one video where the commercial boat just rolls over and stays there. CAPSIZE IN GULF OF ALASKA-440 mark- - YouTube
Bering Sea Heavy Weather - Arctic Lady - YouTube 

Deadliest Catch Geography: The ISLAND OF AKUTAN | Deadliest Reports

On his Alaska passage Rimas lost several teeth, had a whale kiss his boat, was thrown out of the cockpit to the end of his tether and the boat was knocked down several times as he hove to abeam to the seas. 34 days later he planted his boat on Akutan, becoming the second most famous crash landing after the Akutan Zero of WW2. The “Akutan Zero” | The Java Gold's Blog

The Aleutian ship traffic route is very busy, one of the busiest, and Rimas must have had some time of it with fog and limited visibility, to make it across the shipping lanes at his boat speed. No wonder he finally passed out from lack of sleep. The long daylight hours helped but can make sleeping a challenge. His goal was to make it to Japan, which is the opposite direction most cruisers try. He ended up pinned to a rock near Akutan.
Akutan Pass,June 25 2012 Aleutian Islands, Alaska Current Predictions
Akutan Pass, June 21-22 212 Aleutian Islands, Alaska Current Predictions
Weather in June 2012 in Unalaska, Alaska, USA
Weather History Jun 21 2012 Dutch Harbor, AK | Weather Underground 

All I see for rocks to get stuck on is the Baby Rocks in Akutan Pass, where currents can run 12 knots. Imagine being pinned to a rock in Seymour Narrows and the terror that would be. Perhaps the kelp kept his boat from smashing to pieces. The only other submerged rock is in the bay where he shipwrecked. He went to sleep when he could not dislodge off the [likely] Baby Rocks and when the tide turned he drifted back into that bay and was pushed ashore with the exposed beach break and storm surge. The submerged rock formation near where he beached likely kept in in a small gyre and being flushed back out to sea again.
 Unimak Pass Alaska tides & currents may put your life and yacht at extreme risk - PREPARATION IS CRITICAL
Akutan Pass, Aleutian Islands, Alaska Current Predictions 

There are several sobering descriptions in cruising blogs of the currents in Akutan Pass and others.
 35 Knots and 15 foot Seas-2013: S/V TRAVERSAY III departs Nome - WTHO? Why has this skipper made this decision?

Boat Eating Passes-Akutan-SS Dora

Japan to Alaska -Dismasted multi- THE YARROW GYPSIES 

Passage to the Aleutians | Gone Floatabout

John Muir: Waves reared- Cruise of the Corwin Akutan 

Where Might & Majesty Meet | Cruising World

Illywhacker - Russia to Alaska 

He shipwrecked about 5km as the eagle flies from the settlement on Akutan and would have spotted it in good weather, if he crested the hill behind him. He would have seen or heard the airport on the neighbouring island and float planes to and from the cannery on Akutan. Panorama from peak near shipwreck- Photo of Akutan Harbor July 2010
He was later seen and rescued by a passing boat, curious about the perfect lawn dart, or maybe the distress flag he flew if it faced them. Coast Guard picked him up and took him to the base. Akutan williwaws and 12 knot pass
There was no word on the salvage of his boat, one can assume the previous owner was still listed on the title, a Mr. Lawyer he identified in the audio interview.
He moved on to collect his second SJ24 from Mr Buys in the PNW, showing off in a photo with the spinakker flying at the dock. He later sold it. To the surprise of S.B., Rimas took off without a shakedown cruise, as he 'was familiar with the model'. It was then he was equipped with a tracker, was interviewed for local news stories, grifting ancedotes from social media were posted and his interest on SA took off.

He remains an enigma, accepting his fate, unwilling or too stubborn to ensure his safe passage, learn the art of sailing, fixing boat breakages himself or ensuring gear doesn't fail, yet willing to suffer unduly when things go pear shaped because of his preparedness or ineptness.
 As you know, stubborn kills, but not our great adventurer, Go the Rimas!

Media of Akutan wreck
Tale of a sailboat high and dry June 22
Solo Sailor Wrecks on Akutan | Alaska Public Media
Aleutians
Is Rimas radioactive?
Japan Radiation Risk: Alaska’s Aleutian Islands Live With It
SJ24 Pier Pressure
In One Ear: Mystery at sea - In One Ear - The Daily Astorian

• Like 4
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, RKoch said:

My recollection differs a bit.

I believe Rimas may have bought the first SJ 24 he impaled on the shores of Alaska.

The second SJ 24 came out of Oak Harbor which is close to where Shannon resides.  Someone paid $500 for it I presume.  Either Rimas or Shannon.  I don't think Jean and Rimas were reacquainted at this point.  Shannon started this thread and had video of Rimas powering  through what I believe was Deception Pass on his first passage to Cape Horn Hawaii.

I believe Rimas and Jean reacquainted when Rimas sailed back from Hawaii.  Jean I believe lives somewhere near SF.  Jean provided the free Rawson 30, which IIRC  was soon to be scrapped. 

ACD9F979-EFC9-4433-BE71-1DF1CA3228DF_cx0_cy23_cw0_w1023_r1_s.jpg

I love how everybody is hunkered under the foredeck, touching each other and flashing gang signs!!

The fellow in the grey wife-beater looks like he has amorous intentions for Rimas' poop chute.
Actually, they all do.

The fellow on the far left holding his cigarette Communist Comrade-style, is flashing the "two in the pink, one in the stink" sign.
Maybe he thinks Rimas is up for some double penetration...
No no, comrade; that was the last boat... the one with two women and two dogs.
Good golly what a find that would have made! Two concubines and two full meals!

6 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:

ACD9F979-EFC9-4433-BE71-1DF1CA3228DF_cx0_cy23_cw0_w1023_r1_s.jpg

I love how everybody is hunkered under the foredeck, touching each other and flashing gang signs!!

The fellow in the grey wife-beater looks like he has amorous intentions for Rimas' poop chute.
Actually, they all do.

The fellow on the far left holding his cigarette Communist Comrade-style, is flashing the "two in the pink, one in the stink" sign.
Maybe he thinks Rimas is up for some double penetration...
No no, comrade; that was the last boat... the one with two women and two dogs.
Good golly what a find that would have made! Two concubines and two full meals!

Your post reveals more about your psyche than you may realise. I doubt that any of your 'interpretations' are accurate. But thanks for the insight.

2 hours ago, Para Handy said:

Thought of a great book title: Sailing a loan around the world.

OMFG, I spewed my drink when I read this. Brilliant wordplay.

• Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, seabell said:

Your post reveals more about your psyche than you may realise.

I don't think you are picking up on the SA spirit of things.
Do I have a dark sense of humor? Yes.
Am I aware of the irony in my post? Yes. Quite intentionally aware.

I doubt that any of your 'interpretations' are accurate. But thanks for the insight.

Yeah... if you think any part of that post was anything more than free-form riffing, you should hang out here a bit longer and get a better feeling for the lay of the land...

35 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:

I don't think you are picking up on the SA spirit of things.
Do I have a dark sense of humor? Yes.
Am I aware of the irony in my post? Yes. Quite intentionally aware.

Yeah... if you think any part of that post was anything more than free-form riffing, you should hang out here a bit longer and get a better feeling for the lay of the land...

Been here for years. But yeah, I take your point - given the context of this particular thread. No hard feelings!

2 hours ago, 12 metre said:

My recollection differs a bit.

I believe Rimas may have bought the first SJ 24 he impaled on the shores of Alaska.

The second SJ 24 came out of Oak Harbor which is close to where Shannon resides.  Someone paid $500 for it I presume.  Either Rimas or Shannon.  I don't think Jean and Rimas were reacquainted at this point.  Shannon started this thread and had video of Rimas powering  through what I believe was Deception Pass on his first passage to Cape Horn Hawaii.

I believe Rimas and Jean reacquainted when Rimas sailed back from Hawaii.  Jean I believe lives somewhere near SF.  Jean provided the free Rawson 30, which IIRC  was soon to be scrapped. 

Were did he get the money for the first SJ24? Not likely he "worked" for it

27 minutes ago, bfloyd4445 said:

Were did he get the money for the first SJ24? Not likely he "worked" for it

He had been freeloading off the Japanese gf. She lost her green card or H1B, whatever, and had to return to Japan. She may have given him some money as a parting gift. He had acquired the first San Juan and was trying to get to Japan to reunite. He wrecked in the Aleutians.  To my knowledge, he's only 'worked' twice. As a translator in Guam (I think this was an 'on-call' arrangement with tourist hotels), and some period as a doorman in NYC after 'walking' across Canada and before hitch-hiking around the Caribbean. He may have had some job like dishwasher when in SF with Japanese gf. His work history is scant, and he's done none for the past 6+ years since gf left him. As far as I can tell from his stories, most of his life (in USSR and after) he's spent just wandering around and begging food, rides, housing, etc....not working.

50 minutes ago, RKoch said:

He had been freeloading off the Japanese gf. She lost her green card or H1B, whatever, and had to return to Japan. She may have given him some money as a parting gift. He had acquired the first San Juan and was trying to get to Japan to reunite. He wrecked in the Aleutians.  To my knowledge, he's only 'worked' twice. As a translator in Guam (I think this was an 'on-call' arrangement with tourist hotels), and some period as a doorman in NYC after 'walking' across Canada and before hitch-hiking around the Caribbean. He may have had some job like dishwasher when in SF with Japanese gf. His work history is scant, and he's done none for the past 6+ years since gf left him. As far as I can tell from his stories, most of his life (in USSR and after) he's spent just wandering around and begging food, rides, housing, etc....not working.

Well, his employment history maybe scant but if he reported 40 quarters of employment he's qualified for Social Security and probably signed up at least a year ago.  At the minimum that's $9,600USD/year.  If you spend 6 months a year drifting aimlessly for free that bank account adds up.  Rimas has a minimal cash flow but he could easily live in a stateside flophouse (or cheaper overseas) if he wishes.  

16 minutes ago, axolotl said:

Well, his employment history maybe scant but if he reported 40 quarters of employment he's qualified for Social Security and probably signed up at least a year ago.  At the minimum that's $9,600USD/year.  If you spend 6 months a year drifting aimlessly for free that bank account adds up.  Rimas has a minimal cash flow but he could easily live in a stateside flophouse (or cheaper overseas) if he wishes.  

I doubt he worked 40 quarters as his monthly benefit is $300. According to legend Jean convinced him to sign up at age 65 when he was in between boats or when he got Mimsy.

I am not sure when he became a citizen, or how hard it was as a Soviet refugee, but unless there is more to the story he appears to mostly wander around and live off friends and girlfriends.

11 minutes ago, Volkeno said:

I doubt he worked 40 quarters as his monthly benefit is $300. According to legend Jean convinced him to sign up at age 65 when he was in between boats or when he got Mimsy.

I am not sure when he became a citizen, or how hard it was as a Soviet refugee, but unless there is more to the story he appears to mostly wander around and live off friends and girlfriends.

Not just work 40 quarters, but pay into SS 40 quarters. I don't know how he did it...perhaps a lesser amt  for immigrants? IDK. I'm sure Jean signed him up, I believe he collects $300-something. If he had a permanent address he could possibly collect food stamps. Any kind of job, even bottom rung PT, would dramatically improve his standard of living. But, as you say, he'd rather just sponge off friends and Samaritans

4 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Not just work 40 quarters, but pay into SS 40 quarters. I don't know how he did it...perhaps a lesser amt  for immigrants? IDK. I'm sure Jean signed him up, I believe he collects $300-something. If he had a permanent address he could possibly collect food stamps. Any kind of job, even bottom rung PT, would dramatically improve his standard of living. But, as you say, he'd rather just sponge off friends and Samaritans

I wonder if he is eligible for Medicare? It is not free, but is inexpensive if signed up at 65. Price goes up if you wait past 65. I just got my card.

19 hours ago, Team Subterfuge said:

Rimas should approach Land Rover BAR for sponsorship.  It would be interesting to see a Rawson 30 with Land Rover BAR branding or, bet yet, have Rolex as a sponsor.

Given the poetry in his words, Oracle might be a better sponsor.

5 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

Rimas will have some tale to tell, depending on the author who puts it into words. I hope if Jean can do it,he can make sure the details get written and some epic highlights like his shipwreck are complete.

Rimas did a lengthy audio interview after his Alaska trip, where he claims to have learned to sail the [first] SJ24, Caesura, Caesura - Wikipedia over a winter season. This may translate to just motoring around, given his abilities. He may have learned to anchor but he offers little detail. I assume he lived aboard then. In the interview he clearly states he sailed upwind and against the current on his way to the Aleutians. Rimas Meleshyus - Radio Interview by Cory Kaimana Barros recommendations on SoundCloud

It is one of my goals to sail there one day and I have been reading what I can find online about Alaska, this winter.

The famous Lawn Dart crossed my mind and I was curious just when and where Rimas went aground near Atukan Island. The passage time, CG rescue, passing ship discovery, total time shipwrecked and day of the beaching don't exactly fit to the Rimas timeline so his tide and weather at the time of grounding is a guess...
Akutan - Google Maps

Several SA posters who have been to the Aleutians before know firsthand that area well. Even Mr Furnish fished commercially up there, he wrote.
 It is a sobering sight to see the limit of the pack ice on the charts and watch video of the conditions up there, including this one video where the commercial boat just rolls over and stays there. CAPSIZE IN GULF OF ALASKA-440 mark- - YouTube

On his Alaska passage Rimas lost several teeth, had a whale kiss his boat, was thrown out of the cockpit to the end of his tether and the boat was knocked down several times as he hove to abeam to the seas. 34 days later he planted his boat on Akutan, becoming the second most famous crash landing after the Akutan Zero of WW2. The “Akutan Zero” | The Java Gold's Blog

The Aleutian ship traffic route is very busy, one of the busiest, and Rimas must have had some time of it with fog and limited visibility, to make it across the shipping lanes at his boat speed. No wonder he finally passed out from lack of sleep. The long daylight hours helped but can make sleeping a challenge. His goal was to make it to Japan, which is the opposite direction most cruisers try. He ended up pinned to a rock near Akutan.

All I see for rocks to get stuck on is the Baby Rocks in Akutan Pass, where currents can run 12 knots. Imagine being pinned to a rock in Seymour Narrows and the terror that would be. Perhaps the kelp kept his boat from smashing to pieces. The only other submerged rock is in the bay where he shipwrecked. He went to sleep when he could not dislodge off the [likely] Baby Rocks and when the tide turned he drifted back into that bay and was pushed ashore with the exposed beach break and storm surge. The submerged rock formation near where he beached likely kept in in a small gyre and being flushed back out to sea again.
 Unimak Pass Alaska tides & currents may put your life and yacht at extreme risk - PREPARATION IS CRITICAL

There are several sobering descriptions in cruising blogs of the currents in Akutan Pass and others.
 35 Knots and 15 foot Seas-2013: S/V TRAVERSAY III departs Nome - WTHO? Why has this skipper made this decision?

He shipwrecked about 5km as the eagle flies from the settlement on Akutan and would have spotted it in good weather, if he crested the hill behind him. He would have seen or heard the airport on the neighbouring island and float planes to and from the cannery on Akutan. Panorama from peak near shipwreck- Photo of Akutan Harbor July 2010
He was later seen and rescued by a passing boat, curious about the perfect lawn dart, or maybe the distress flag he flew if it faced them. Coast Guard picked him up and took him to the base. Akutan williwaws and 12 knot pass
There was no word on the salvage of his boat, one can assume the previous owner was still listed on the title, a Mr. Lawyer he identified in the audio interview.
He moved on to collect his second SJ24 from Mr Buys in the PNW, showing off in a photo with the spinakker flying at the dock. He later sold it. To the surprise of S.B., Rimas took off without a shakedown cruise, as he 'was familiar with the model'. It was then he was equipped with a tracker, was interviewed for local news stories, grifting ancedotes from social media were posted and his interest on SA took off.

He remains an enigma, accepting his fate, unwilling or too stubborn to ensure his safe passage, learn the art of sailing, fixing boat breakages himself or ensuring gear doesn't fail, yet willing to suffer unduly when things go pear shaped because of his preparedness or ineptness.

Media of Akutan wreck
Aleutians
Is Rimas radioactive?
SJ24 Pier Pressure

Very nice post.  You really pulled a lots of things together.

10 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

Akutan - Google Maps

Media of Akutan wreck
Aleutians
Is Rimas radioactive?
SJ24 Pier Pressure

Thanks for that! Essential reading for anyone interested in the Rimas enigma. Some of the links are very good. You must have put a fair bit of time and effort into this. Appreciated.

16 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Kind of like making fun of a Down's kid 

I wouldn't give Rimus that much honor. I don't think he is that inept in his psychology as to not know exactly what he is doing.  To many he is a fool and a con, others a hero. He is both loved and hated. No doubt Jim unFurnish is a meddling dick who must be so bored he gets his kicks shouting false praise and misleading theatrics at something he can't stand.  But if he is guilty of making fun of a Downs kid, are we as well? Or is it that we see the reality of the situation and have called him out on it..........

12 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

Akutan - Google Maps

Media of Akutan wreck
Aleutians
Is Rimas radioactive?
SJ24 Pier Pressure

this needs to go on the inside of the books back cover

40 minutes ago, captpiratedog said:

this needs to go on the inside of the books back cover

Yes, but even with all the info Norse provided, the essential question remains:

How the fuck did he lawn dart that thing on the only sand in the area? In his sleep!

It will never be answered since even Rimas couldn't know.

For that reason, the lawn darting has to be the cover photo on the book.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

How the fuck did he lawn dart that thing on the only sand in the area? In his sleep!

Well even Rimus himself is so proud of that that its his FB page photo

15 hours ago, RKoch said:

Jim's posts on FB are hilarious to me.

The initial reaction to this thread is pretty funny if you go back and look now. Surprisingly receptive, especially for this place.

Just now, captpiratedog said:

Well even Rimus himself is so proud of that that its his FB page photo

That's another reason it should be the book cover. It's the most widely-circulated Rimas pic by far.

And deservedly so. How did that happen?

I've just scrolled through Rimas' photos on Facebook and am appalled at his physical deterioration in less than four years. Could he be suffering from scurvy? Wouldn't surprise me.

Whatever ails him physically (let's ignore his mental state for the time being) I doubt he's got the health, strength or stamina for another drift.

Rimas 2014.png

Rimas now.png

5 minutes ago, Para Handy said:

I've just scrolled through Rimas' photos on Facebook and am appalled at his physical deterioration in less than four years. Could he be suffering from scurvy? Wouldn't surprise me.

Whatever ails him physically (let's ignore his mental state for the time being) I doubt he's got the health, strength or stamina for another drift.

The photose supportte youre thouht.  Harde to beleve he wase bettere fed wile homelesse and liveng undere a bridge.           :)

....trying to catch up a bit, on my own driftathon of sorts..... living on the beach in Baja, kayak, laser, and kites, feel like Lord Jim, clammers keep selling giving me 3- 4" clams at 2pesos each,, that's ~10, a good meal, for a buck!  

Photos show rimass with a bunch of phillipine lovers  sailors, presumably on a freighter....he's been found again?

What's the nutshell this time?

Please quote me, so I can find your reply without having to take too much time from the masseuse, she always takes it from the ending,,less happy then.  :mellow:

31 minutes ago, couchsurfer said:

....trying to catch up a bit, on my own driftathon of sorts..... living on the beach in Baja, kayak, laser, and kites, feel like Lord Jim, clammers keep selling giving me 3- 4" clams at 2pesos each,, that's ~10, a good meal, for a buck!  

Photos show rimass with a bunch of phillipine lovers  sailors, presumably on a freighter....he's been found again?

What's the nutshell this time?

Please quote me, so I can find your reply without having to take too much time from the masseuse, she always takes it from the ending,,less happy then.  :mellow:

He was picked up by a Vietnamese fishing boat in China Sea. Nowhere near Guam (his stated destination) or Japan (his presumed destination). At sea about 30 days....Rimas claimed he was out of food and water, near death, steering broken (again), and boat taking on water subsequent to a 'big bang'. Mimsy abandoned and presumed sunk.

30 minutes ago, RKoch said:

He was picked up by a Vietnamese fishing boat in China Sea. Nowhere near Guam (his stated destination) or Japan (his presumed destination). At sea about 30 days....Rimas claimed he was out of food and water, near death, steering broken (again), and boat taking on water subsequent to a 'big bang'. Mimsy abandoned and presumed sunk.

...oh, all very exiting i spose, end of another error with Mimsy gone....'Jean,, Jean?'. :mellow:

14 minutes ago, couchsurfer said:

...oh, all very exiting i spose, end of another error with Mimsy gone....'Jean,, Jean?'. :mellow:

Jean posted on FB no more boats, but you know Rimas will push his buttons and Jean will cave.

7 hours ago, captpiratedog said:

I wouldn't give Rimus that much honor. I don't think he is that inept in his psychology as to not know exactly what he is doing.  To many he is a fool and a con, others a hero. He is both loved and hated. No doubt Jim unFurnish is a meddling dick who must be so bored he gets his kicks shouting false praise and misleading theatrics at something he can't stand.  But if he is guilty of making fun of a Downs kid, are we as well? Or is it that we see the reality of the situation and have called him out on it..........

I believe 99.9% of us have expressed the latter thousands of times.

8 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Rimas's luck is clearly identified as luck, and his luck is huge. This is John Krakauer territory. "Into the Sea"? Eric Schlosser could handle it too. "Ocean Drifter"?

The latest example of luck, being picked up by a commercial fishing boat with an incredibly kind crew, is another big one. That region is known for slave trawlers that work their crews literally to death. Had he been picked up by one, he would have perished in a day or two in his condition and age. And I doubt a crew member would have swum over to Mimsy and helped Rimas off. More likely Rimas would have drowned trying to board the slave boat.

Side note: I bet some poor immigration official in Vietnam has had to read this thread as part of reporting on what the heck the true story is. Anarchy owe's that guy or gal a case of their favorite beer.

10 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Jim's posts on FB are hilarious to me.

The initial reaction to this thread is pretty funny if you go back and look now. Surprisingly receptive, especially for this place.

Me too!

I believe Furnish, Rod, Tom and I could enjoy an evening of heavy drinking together! We'd have to start early because my bedtime comes earlier these days...

7 hours ago, Para Handy said:

Hey! Good call!

One of the symptoms of scurvy is zero energy. Exertion can be the last straw for one under the grips of scurvy. And here we thought he was just being lazy! It's self-preservation, yo!

The Rimas book deal looks less than lucrative...

this story only sold 1500 copies according to his lawyer. and this drifter was much more inventive for feeding himself...just don't eat birds with sea snakes in their gut.

Fisherman survives '438 Days' lost at sea - NY Daily News

First person account of rescue here, part way down this page. What's the longest a person has survived being lost at sea? - Quora

13 hours ago, Autonomous said:

The chicken has been off the radar lately but it seems it was rescued too.

attachment.php?attachmentid=1051354&stc=

Nice ball-sack!!

He's re-posting old stuff from Facebook, including some pics of the San Juan looking remarkably like it's sailing. Burdened by a heavy load of caulk for sure but these pics don't look much like recent rigging pics at all.

10923223_401608919998013_257827463234044

15 minutes ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

He's re-posting old stuff from Facebook, including some pics of the San Juan looking remarkably like it's sailing. Burdened by a heavy load of caulk for sure but these pics don't look much like recent rigging pics at all.

He is also sporting some photos of real sailing yachts giving his new FB visitors the impression that is what he does 

25 minutes ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Hatch must be beyond caulk to be cinched down with a cargo strap. Chainplate has a growth of some sort.

Maybe he is looking at another SJ24, for a troika...

34 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

Hatch must be beyond caulk to be cinched down with a cargo strap. Chainplate has a growth of some sort.

Maybe he is looking at another SJ24, for a troika...

I have an old Davis Instruments plastic sextant I can donate for his next voyage .....would really make a great selfie Rimas taking noon sights...I can visualize it now

On 2/9/2018 at 7:40 PM, Donovan said:

Very nice post.  You really pulled a lots of things together.

chuckle....Remas had no business up there. The good thing that came out of his lawn darting is it must have knocked some sense into him as since he only cruises the balmy warm central pacific waters. 

On 2/9/2018 at 1:56 PM, Norse Horse said:

Akutan - Google Maps

Media of Akutan wreck
Aleutians
Is Rimas radioactive?
SJ24 Pier Pressure

Great post Norse Horse. Your hard work putting this together is very much appreciated.

5 hours ago, bfloyd4445 said:

chuckle....Remas had no business up there. The good thing that came out of his lawn darting is it must have knocked some sense into him as since he only cruises the balmy warm central pacific waters. 

That and he became afraid of land to the point of drifting past wide open harbors if he can't get a tow.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bfloyd4445 said:

Dose ambientte tempe effectte abillitey to sticke the landeng?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Dose ambientte tempe effectte abillitey to sticke the landeng?

Close, it's the density altitude.

11 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

So with no pin, ring ding or even string in between, was his "rig failure" when towed in Hawaii simply a turnbuckle unwinding?

20 minutes ago, Varan said:

So with no pin, ring ding or even string in between, was his "rig failure" when towed in Hawaii simply a turnbuckle unwinding?

Holy shit.    All the rigging time I waste just for a weekend.   I could have crossed an ocean without bothering.   

19 minutes ago, Lark said:

Holy shit.    All the rigging time I waste just for a weekend.   I could have crossed an ocean without bothering.   

You have to wait until everything galls or rusts together, then you don't have to worry about anything undoing ever.

1 minute ago, Ishmael said:

You have to wait until everything galls or rusts together, then you don't have to worry about anything undoing ever.

Ah,   The ‘advantage’ of salt water.

Rimas is really turning on the self marketing charm....he posted another sailing photo on FB misleading his marks that somehow he and his adventures are somehow someway associated with these sailing scenes....it seems the Vietnamese have fallen into his web

sailri.jpg

2 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Some kind of Ferengi thing going on here?

27867724_988721427952716_695443962925441

He’s telling the Viet Namese chef about the wonderful buttery creaminess that is the boxed mashed potato.

There is no Fench influence to confuse the taste buds and no clumps to break the last tooth or two.

And then there’s the story he’s regaling of the time he was donated a Starbuck’s coffee.

That moment changed him forever...

2 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Some kind of Ferengi thing going on here?

27867724_988721427952716_695443962925441

“There I was sailing off the coast of Alaska. Surrounded by swimming grizzly bears... I jumped the boat and placed the fin keel directly into the chest of the leader. The added drag and current forced my fine vessel ashore.”

or

” If i mix my buttery mashed potatoes with Starbucks coffee I get two meals in one!”

Am I the only one who sees a  obvious solution? Brent Swain could pull a steel boat together for Rimas in about two hours. Life changing event for both of them. 

goat 

11 minutes ago, Goat said:

Am I the only one who sees a  obvious solution? Brent Swain could pull a steel boat together for Rimas in about two hours. Life changing event for both of them. 

goat 

Intriguing, but Rimas doesn't get close enough to land to need reef-pounding ability. He calls for a tow 25 miles out. What Rimas needs is an absolutely maintenance-free boat. He will do no work. I suspect a BS boat would have rust stains running down the sides within a year.

47 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Intriguing, but Rimas doesn't get close enough to land to need reef-pounding ability. He calls for a tow 25 miles out. What Rimas needs is an absolutely maintenance-free boat. He will do no work. I suspect a BS boat would have rust stains running down the sides within a year.

Is that not all BS boats from one week onwards.. Rust stains.. 

confused. 

1 hour ago, Goat said:

goat 

It has been suggested. I think they should be forced to sail together forever. Months of drifting broken by days of screeching metal on coral, then back to drifting.

On the bright side, Rimas would have a cook. On the dark side, there is no food. Forever.

• Like 1

Heh. Rimas and BS in the same thread. While both scoundrels deface harbors with derelict boats, Rimas is not an offensive boor.