buys737

Sailing around the world in a San Juan 24

in the sound clip, he mentions he is a sailor with phenomenal talent .. that was awesome. he also mentioned he had secrrets he would only reveal once the book was written.

1 minute ago, bigrpowr said:

in the sound clip, he mentions he is a sailor with phenomenal talent .. that was awesome.

His phenomenal talent is blank staring off into space and calling up tows/rescues on speed dial. In his 5 years/10K miles of Kon-tiki drifting he hasn't managed to learn any sailing ability at all. That's rather remarkable.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RKoch said:

His phenomenal talent is blank staring off into space and calling up tows/rescues on speed dial. In his 5 years/10K miles of Kon-tiki drifting he hasn't managed to learn any sailing ability at all. That's rather remarkable.

He probably doesn't even know what a 'sea buoy' is. Bwhahahahahahahaha.

25 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

He probably doesn't even know what a 'sea buoy' is. Bwhahahahahahahaha.

Then that makes two of you. Congrats, you have a partner. Rimas has been seeking a love interest, and you two have so much in common.

8 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Rimas has been seeking a love interest, and you two have so much in common.

What else apart from you being obsessed with both of us?

• Like 1

I love the guy swimming over to Rimas’ boat to rescue him! 

Didn’t know he was approaching a Slocum Man

1 hour ago, RKoch said:

He's got at least 20,000 miles under his belt, probably much more considering his rather Brownian-motion courses.   See my post above for the talley.

8 minutes ago, axolotl said:

He's got at least 20,000 miles under his belt, probably much more considering his rather Brownian-motion courses.   See my post above for the talley.

So you are saying that is a world record?

Go the Rimas!!

If Jean won't help, then there is a boat in SF Bay that he could negotiate a price, sounds like from the copy. Remember, he got the first SJ listed at 4k for 1500 I think it was, the second for 500 from a sailing school which listed it for 1500. So he has some bargaining panache.

This one takes readily to caulking and some would say...

the name of the boat is apt... Pinocchio- old fixer upper sailboat for sale - boats - by owner - marine sale

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

So you are saying that is a world record?

Go the Rimas!!

No, you said he'd only racked up 10,000 miles and I said it's more like 20,000+ miles so far.  In spite of Rimas's braggadocio there's no world records involved.  'Cept maybe least investment/mile for transoceanic voyagers.

Fuck, fuck, Fuck!  I go dark for a month or so and the fucking roach reappears and obviously I have been rigging my boats wrong for offshore sailing all these years.  Leaves me almost speechless, just enough energy to drink a wee nippy sweety in R's honor.

• Like 1

Just now, zenmasterfred said:

Fuck, fuck, Fuck!  I go dark for a month or so and the fucking roach reappears and obviously I have been rigging my boats wrong for offshore sailing all these years.  Leaves me almost speechless, just enough energy to drink a wee nippy sweety in R's honor.

Watch out for teeth in the bottom of the glass.

• Like 1

It's probably more accurate to say Rimas has one mile of experience, he's just done his first mile 20,000 times. His learning is not cumulative. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, some dude said:

I like the dock line still just lying in a pile on the foredeck 2 months after it was untied from the dock

2 months? Try 6. Video was from approaching Saipan. He left Hawaii several months earlier, bypassing a wide open Harbor entrance at Pago Pago, and nearly getting into Fiji. 

1 hour ago, RKoch said:

2 months? Try 6. Video was from approaching Saipan. He left Hawaii several months earlier, bypassing a wide open Harbor entrance at Pago Pago, and nearly getting into Fiji. 

Teahe, that wase weirde, what dose he halve againste the Fijinitsianes?

• Downvote 1

The (translated) text is amusing.

05/02/2018 16:18 

Fishermen tell story 'Mr. West' drift nearly 40 days at sea

TPO - Fishermen on board fishing boat QNg98785 plunged into the sea in the middle of the waves, swim on the sailing boat is stoned indefinitely. And they saved a Russian from the sea for more than a month.  66-year-old sailor, Rimas Meleshyus, seemed to have no chance of surviving, the god of luck smiled as his boat washed over the waters of Vietnam and was rescued by the Central Coast fishermen.

The crew said it was around 10am on 18/1, brothers discovered the white sail length about 7m, about 2.5m wide uncontrolled. The mast is bare in the column, leaving only a piece of white cloth torn by the wind to beat the Buddha.  Seeing the fishing boat approaching, Mr. Rimas cries out for help. Knowing the story is not good, fishermen Nguyen Lang (40, Duc Pho, Quang Ngai) do not hesitate to plunge into the sea amidst the waves. On the boat, see "Mr. West" hang loose, he immediately signaled for the towing string to urgently bring this person up.

When the train was over, the whole boat pulled his supporter to climb up, the mast also broke the light bulb so the brothers to turn anti-repair, fear of failure can not be caught. Looking at him as "fish sauce", sickly, we took milk, oats for him to drink and let him rest. In the end, he found out that he was exhausted for many days, said Le Quoc Dong, 23, from Duc Pho, Quang Ngai. 

Rescuers finished, the fishermen left the baskets to swim to get more goods, on the sail for Mr. Rimas. "When we saw the boat he was so happy we climbed up, throwing things out, and throwing the boat. We see too many things, "mercy," should turn to grab him, Lang said. Later on, they learned that these belongings were regarded as "treasures", which are hundreds of photographs, articles, journals written about his journey to the water. 

After being looked after by Vietnamese fishermen, Mr. Rimas recovered his health and recounted his affliction. He also clarified personal information to everyone. Fishing vessel QNg 98785 then telegraphed the incident with the authorities, but his health is not serious and because the boat has just been caught offshore caught up with him as a friend for 17 days. The boat, his brother saw the old man, eyes dim, should not let him out, go to the toilet must also help out because he fell into the water. 

On the afternoon of February 4, the QNg98785 fishing vessel with 12 Quang Ngai fishermen arrived at Man Quang border station (Son Tra district, Da Nang city), along with Russian cruiser Ssangyan 66 - Rimas Meleshyus saved them. lived before.

Mr. Rimas was born in Russia, now living in the United States, passionate about moving. For more than six years, he began his sea adventure by sailing. And almost any trip he also "single code".

On May 25, 1974, he began his journey between the sea with a sailboat called Memosis from Hawaii to Fiji, Tuvalu ... On the sailing journey about 500km away from Yokohama (Japan), his boat hit a object Large and broken. On 10/12/2017, he signaled for help throughout the two days but not heard. From there, the sailing of noise drifted through many of the waters of the states while the food source was exhausted. On January 18, 1818, he was fortunate enough to rescue QNG 98785 fishing vessels in the waters near the Hoang Sa archipelago.

They brought him milk and oats...

I used google translate, but parts of it didn't translate well. Apparently he fell in the water while trying to use the toilet, so they needed to help him. I'm guessing a part of his weakness was related to not wanting to help the fisherman. They picked him up January 18, so he evidently made no attempt to buy food on Saipan since he only left there 3-4 weeks before if I recall.

In the video he seems to only speak english and not any other languages he knows.

Rimas had amassed several months of SS checks while drifting from Hawaii to Saipan. Probably over $2000 worth. He was in Saipan  long enough for arrangements to be made to receive the money, and plenty long enough to reprovision. I suspect he just sat on his ass , pestered locals, and stalled paying his dock fees,  until ordered to leave on fairly short notice. No evidence indicates he made any attempts at repairing Mimsy or acquiring better sails while in Saipan. 

13 hours ago, Unkle Crusty said:

I believe Niksen is the word we need for Rimas. There is also an Italian phrase, but it is longer.

Unkle Krusty

I think Malaka is better. It is widely used to best describe someone who continually  commits acts of idiocy 

4 hours ago, fivestar said:

Assuming he has an American Passport, how long before he has to leave Vietnam?.

Probably got a 30 day visa on arrival. Then he overstays. Then they begin deportation. Or extend the visa hoping he gets bored or hungry and leaves on his own. Eventually they might buy him a $500 ticket to LAX. But they might try jail first to see if some emo fuckwit in the USA sends a ticket. Unless the US Embassy fell for his shipwreck shtick they won’t do anything. They have many many slackers in the same program at any given time. Nobody is obligated to do anything.

5 hours ago, fivestar said:

Assuming he has an American Passport, how long before he has to leave Vietnam?.

As soon as the  good PR runs out. 

2 minutes ago, RKoch said:

As soon as the  good PR runs out. 

And that could come at ANY moment....once his hosts realize his excuses are endless and he is making no effort to improve his own lot or make arrangements to leave on his own....I am sure his act is wearing thin....the smiley hospitality vibe from the Vietnamese  will turn into sudden shunning if not outright hostility by the local officials

Rimas posted a nice photograph on FaceBook of a Vietnamese sunset. Many comments about what a nice photo it was. Direct questions to Rimas such as "Did you take that picture?" were not answered.

Of course it was copyrighted property of National Geographic...

sunset.jpg.f85d3e3d5d38a0c7526859a2d3432ae3.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Autonomous said:

Maybe they'll steal the technology.

I can hardly wait for the Rawson 30 knockoffs to hit Banggood.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, axolotl said:

The (translated) text is amusing.

Fishermen tell story 'Mr. West' drift nearly 40 days at sea

TPO - Fishermen on board fishing boat QNg98785 plunged into the sea in the middle of the waves, swim on the sailing boat is stoned indefinitely. And they saved a Russian from the sea for more than a month.  66-year-old sailor, Rimas Meleshyus, seemed to have no chance of surviving, the god of luck smiled as his boat washed over the waters of Vietnam and was rescued by the Central Coast fishermen.

The crew said it was around 10am on 18/1, brothers discovered the white sail length about 7m, about 2.5m wide uncontrolled. The mast is bare in the column, leaving only a piece of white cloth torn by the wind to beat the Buddha.  Seeing the fishing boat approaching, Mr. Rimas cries out for help. Knowing the story is not good, fishermen Nguyen Lang (40, Duc Pho, Quang Ngai) do not hesitate to plunge into the sea amidst the waves. On the boat, see "Mr. West" hang loose, he immediately signaled for the towing string to urgently bring this person up.

When the train was over, the whole boat pulled his supporter to climb up, the mast also broke the light bulb so the brothers to turn anti-repair, fear of failure can not be caught. Looking at him as "fish sauce", sickly, we took milk, oats for him to drink and let him rest. In the end, he found out that he was exhausted for many days, said Le Quoc Dong, 23, from Duc Pho, Quang Ngai. 

Rescuers finished, the fishermen left the baskets to swim to get more goods, on the sail for Mr. Rimas. "When we saw the boat he was so happy we climbed up, throwing things out, and throwing the boat. We see too many things, "mercy," should turn to grab him, Lang said. Later on, they learned that these belongings were regarded as "treasures", which are hundreds of photographs, articles, journals written about his journey to the water. 

After being looked after by Vietnamese fishermen, Mr. Rimas recovered his health and recounted his affliction. He also clarified personal information to everyone. Fishing vessel QNg 98785 then telegraphed the incident with the authorities, but his health is not serious and because the boat has just been caught offshore caught up with him as a friend for 17 days. The boat, his brother saw the old man, eyes dim, should not let him out, go to the toilet must also help out because he fell into the water. 

On the afternoon of February 4, the QNg98785 fishing vessel with 12 Quang Ngai fishermen arrived at Man Quang border station (Son Tra district, Da Nang city), along with Russian cruiser Ssangyan 66 - Rimas Meleshyus saved them. lived before.

Mr. Rimas was born in Russia, now living in the United States, passionate about moving. For more than six years, he began his sea adventure by sailing. And almost any trip he also "single code".

On May 25, 1974, he began his journey between the sea with a sailboat called Memosis from Hawaii to Fiji, Tuvalu ... On the sailing journey about 500km away from Yokohama (Japan), his boat hit a object Large and broken. On 10/12/2017, he signaled for help throughout the two days but not heard. From there, the sailing of noise drifted through many of the waters of the states while the food source was exhausted. On January 18, 1818, he was fortunate enough to rescue QNG 98785 fishing vessels in the waters near the Hoang Sa archipelago.

So the voyage began in 1974 on the vessel names Memosis? Wow! That has to be a world record....what happened to Memosis did she morph into Mimsey?  Then went back in time to be rescued by Vietnamese fishermen in 1818 ending with another time jump to the year 2018 and another rescue. Geez...wonder if the same girls appeared at both recues? 

sounds like he’s  blind but still tried to piss over the rail and fell in.  

“old man, eyes dim, should not let him out, go to the toilet must also help out because he fell into the water”

• Like 1

On 2/16/2018 at 5:32 PM, axolotl said:

This bit is rather sad tho...

Could be the final shot of the movie. Solo violin. 

4 hours ago, toddster said:

This bit is rather sad tho...

Could be the final shot of the movie. Solo violin. 

Licke Fiddeller on the Roofe?                                 :)

Rimas has 2 new videos up on his FB page...the first is about 3 minutes with him narrating and self promoting ...towards the end he asks for donations and sponsorship...he wants to be able to do much more updating as his voyage progresses.... the sailing video is a voice over of Mimsy sailing 161 NM out of Siapan....the other video is something he pulled from the web a professional feature of Hawaii...only watch a few seconds of that one....

On 2/16/2018 at 5:32 PM, axolotl said:

'Mr. West' drift nearly 40 days at sea...

is stoned indefinitely...

no chance of surviving,

uncontrolled.... bare in the column, beat the Buddha.  

he immediately signaled for the towing string 

the train [wreck] was over,

his ... anti-repair, fear

failure ... sickly,... exhausted... finished,

Mr. Rimas... affliction is... serious... should not let him out.

The condensed version.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2018 at 7:23 AM, some dude said:

I like the dock line still just lying in a pile on the foredeck 2 months after it was untied from the dock

That's one of his most important lines. For when someone shows up to tow him. 

14 hours ago, Goat said:

That's one of his most important lines. For when someone shows up to tow him. 

I thought his most important line was "steering and motor broken, out of food and water, need tow and donations"

• Like 1

The last time I was here Rimas was dead or working at McDonalds ....

I still think he turned up at the 2016 Perry Rendezvous

D752EFEB-5F7A-4148-B00C-84DD53D69273.thumb.jpeg.1f4ad9445eca39fbba2027f577fd9926.jpeg

so, it seems like he is harder to pinpoint on this one?  in all the other places (ok, except saipan) it seems like somebody has been able to find out whats really happening with him.  what's actually happening with him?  he's at the hotel, partying with the girls and fishermen and doing interviews??  really??

i dunno...the whole thing still smells fishy to me....

1 minute ago, butteryashes said:

so, it seems like he is harder to pinpoint on this one?  in all the other places (ok, except saipan) it seems like somebody has been able to find out whats really happening with him.  what's actually happening with him?  he's at the hotel, partying with the girls and fishermen and doing interviews??  really??

that would be nuoc mam.....hospitality has been granted....once they realize he is not making appropriate plans to leave Vietnam on his own the authorities will grab him and throw is ass out of the country

He is only going to be at the hotel until the Vietnamese stop paying the bill. 

I wonder if Jean would fly/drive to LA to pick Rimas up at the airport or Skid Row, or if Rimas will go back to Hawaii and try to shack up with whoever he was living with until the marina evicted him.

11 minutes ago, butteryashes said:

2718799690_593c0a7c85_b.thumb.jpg.cf5c473a2292da6ae13c89411d0d1c88.jpg

What's the nearest clump of US dirt.......?

That's where he ends up....

1 hour ago, madohe said:

2718799690_593c0a7c85_b.thumb.jpg.cf5c473a2292da6ae13c89411d0d1c88.jpg

What's the nearest clump of US dirt.......?

That's where he ends up....

Saipan/Guam. But they already kicked him out. After Vietnam gets fed up with his freeloading ass, they'll dump him at the US Embassy and say "Your problem now". I'm still betting he gets dumped on the tarmac at LAX. Islands have limited resources to deal with deadbeats, and leaving them on the street is bad for tourism. Hawaii won't take him, he'll be shipped back to the mainland.

The thing is, it's over 15 miles of confusing, noisy streets from LAX to downtown/MacArthur Park where the pro homeless hang out. How's he ever going to make that trip?

Or 20+ miles to LA Harbor where he can lay his newspaper clippings on the commercial fishermen.

Yep, no boat, limited money, time ticking down concerning Vietnamese hospitality, Rimas in in a bad spot.

He might get married and stay there and he n his wife can open a business selling houseware items and live on their boat....not a bad option

image.jpeg

or open a stall at the night market selling Russian street food

Related image

1 hour ago, captpiratedog said:

He might get married and stay there and he n his wife can open a business selling houseware items and live on their boat....not a bad option

image.jpeg

or open a stall at the night market selling Russian street food

Related image

Only way he'd do that is if she does all the work while he sits on his ass in Starbucks.

Guam is the closest, but LAX is the cheapest flight. Ya think Vietnam flies people out? Doubt it. They’ll let him die on a doorstep. The US embassy will let him call Jean, that’s about it.

39 minutes ago, daddle said:

Guam is the closest, but LAX is the cheapest flight. Ya think Vietnam flies people out? Doubt it. They’ll let him die on a doorstep. The US embassy will let him call Jean, that’s about it.

Curious if Rimas could scavenge work there...oh, wait...

On 2/17/2018 at 12:26 PM, Volkeno said:

Someone in the comments mentioned Mimsy being on a beach in China. I wonder if that's true. Maybe China will send him a bill.

Here's a picture someone posted on Rimas FB page under the comments of the sunset (beach of a small reef in China):

IMG_2378.jpg

• Like 3

Where did the net and the American themed tarp...  Er.... table cloth come from?  did they net her and drag her to the final resting place??  if so, I would assume she is chopped up and sold for scrap by now.  Dud he manage to grab the ring before he abandoned her??

Just now, shaggy said:

Where did the net and the American themed tarp...  Er.... table cloth come from?  did they net her and drag her to the final resting place??  if so, I would assume she is chopped up and sold for scrap by now.  Dud he manage to grab the ring before he abandoned her??

That boat will be put to good use by someone....

• Like 1

Probably make a decent slow boat to china.  Ba dum dum...  try the veal...  ;)

23 minutes ago, axolotl said:

So Mimsey made it to shore in spite of a leak which required regular bailing  .  .  .

details...every since he claimed his tiller broke just off Fiji in that "gale"...I've been looking for a shot of it in the photos he posted....never was seen in any shots.....

58 minutes ago, Alan Crawford said:

Here's a picture someone posted on Rimas FB page under the comments of the sunset (beach of a small reef in China):

IMG_2378.jpg

That picture was really buried deep in the comments. I wonder if Rimas or his benefactors have seen it. Wrapped in netting makes me wonder if it was snagged by a fishing boat. Some places, the owner of a boat is responsible for net damage and loss of fishing revenue.

I'm kinda wondering if the average speed of the "half sunk" Mimsy increased after Rimas abandoned her. 

I'm too lazy to bother, but hoping that someone else might.

• Like 1

Just now, Great White said:

That picture was really buried deep in the comments. I wonder if Rimas or his benefactors have seen it. Wrapped in netting makes me wonder if it was snagged by a fishing boat. Some places, the owner of a boat is responsible for net damage and loss of fishing revenue.

I thought the netting was to secure the contents...probably put there by local authorities until they can sort it out 

10 minutes ago, Great White said:

That is interesting.  Put aside international laws and the unlikelihood of collection, isn't Jean still the legal owner?  RKoch probably recalls this better than I, but I thought that at least initially, Jean never transferred ownership to Rimas.  Or was that subsequently corrected?  Maybe Rimas never had $1.

2 minutes ago, 12 metre said:

That is interesting.  Put aside international laws and the unlikelihood of collection, isn't Jean still the legal owner?  RKoch probably recalls this better than I, but I thought that at least initially, Jean never transferred ownership to Rimas.  Or was that subsequently corrected?  Maybe Rimas never had $1.

When Rimas was towed into Monteray, Jean wrote that he took all the paperwork for the boat to transfer it into Rimas name to Rimas. All properly signed and notorized. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shaggy said:

You can see the life ring floating in the water next to the boat. :D

17 minutes ago, Knothead said:

You can see the life ring floating in the water next to the boat. :D

Saw that, aint orange and looks small.  The orange may have rubbed off in the environment though.  ;)

1 hour ago, 12 metre said:

When Rimas was towed in to Monterey  after being flushed out SF Bay, Jean rushed to get the title transferred from himself to Rimas. Otherwise, I think he might have been liable for dockage and other bills Rimas ran up. Enabling a deadbeat can get expensive.

1 hour ago, Great White said:

When Rimas was towed into Monteray, Jean wrote that he took all the paperwork for the boat to transfer it into Rimas name to Rimas. All properly signed and notorized. 

I remember mention of that, but, would you believe anything Jean said after all his false statements posted on fb?....... I wouldn't

4 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

It isn't Starbucks but the girls are friendly!

RImas-Mai-Kim.jpg.8e76dcb66991d10ef3c30f138b55aed1.jpg

Somebody please photoshop him into the Russian roulette  scene in Deer Hunter

2 hours ago, Great White said:

Jean's best move to date. Wash his hands of any legal connection to La Cucaracha del Mar.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Great White said:

I think that still requires Rimas to take all the paperwork to DMV.  Think that happened?