buys737

Sailing around the world in a San Juan 24

4 hours ago, pbd said:

Let's not forget this puts Reamus and Jen in the same neighborhood.  Think of the possibilities. 

Plenty of boat for a threeway drift-a-thon....

1978 ChoyLee offshore ketch - $28 (Honolulu) 

https://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/boa/d/1978-choylee-offshore-ketch/6472135263.html

I'm in for 1/10th......

On 3/10/2018 at 7:34 AM, clucas said:

Guess what...?

rimas-hilo.jpg

I'm skeptical.  I could change  my current city and hometown to Hilo on FaceBook  at will.  Presently my hometown on FaceBook is 4,000 miles from my actual city/hometown to befuddle prowling creditors.  Rimas's FaceBook hometown listing rarely equates to where he's presently  reposing when ashore.  He's claimed living in Port Townsend when actually in 'Frisco, and if my failing memory serves, even once claimed his  hometown was a Pacific Isle,  which he never touched; can't remember the name. 

Until I see hard evidence he's elsewhere he's still in 'Nam.

39 minutes ago, madohe said:

https://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/boa/d/1978-choylee-offshore-ketch/6472135263.html

I'm in for 1/10th......

lots of $28 SBs available at Ala Wai but thats a long way from Hilo for a homeless round the world voyager.  might as well be in Da Nang 

1 hour ago, madohe said:

I'm in for 1/10th......

in good shape and only 100 hours on the engine all for for $28 and  payment of mooring charges maybe. What a deal! I'm in for 2 cents

1 hour ago, axolotl said:

I'm skeptical.  I could change  my current city and hometown to Hilo on FaceBook  at will.  Presently my hometown on FaceBook is 4,000 miles from my actual city/hometown to befuddle prowling creditors.  Rimas's FaceBook hometown listing rarely equates to where he's presently  reposing when ashore.  He's claimed living in Port Townsend when actually in 'Frisco, and if my failing memory serves, even once claimed his  hometown was a Pacific Isle,  which he never touched; can't remember the name. 

He never seems to know where he is at untill he has been there for a few days anyway

I hope someone has refloated mimsy, strapped a 1995 Yamaha 25hp enduro to the back & has a nice free fishing boat. 

Not exactly a Yamaha, but something like this...

800px-Long-tail_boat_engine_Ko_Kai.jpg

3 hours ago, axolotl said:

I am skeptical too. But he did post last week that he was going to fly to Hawaii someday next month. March? April? He was living with someone on the island, but the location was a ways from Hilo. Some of his older posts and pics were from the Kona side.

10 hours ago, pbd said:

And this mahi mahi

Let's not forget this puts Reamus and Jen in the same neighborhood.  Think of the possibilities. 

Ick.

Our Girl Sherri Riggs in Saipan is hanging up her reporting hat and heading home to Utah. Highlight reel includes Rimas. Guess when you interview the Worlds Greatest Sailor, you have reached the pinnacle of the media world.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bfloyd4445 said:

He never seems to know where he is at until he has been there for a few days anyway   ...he's thrown out.  

fixerated, for accuracy.       And extra 'L' removed from until,, because yer a lowsy speller.  

3 hours ago, HypnoToad said:

Our Girl Sherri Riggs in Saipan is hanging up her reporting hat and heading home to Utah. Highlight reel includes Rimas. Guess when you interview the Worlds Greatest Sailor, you have reached the pinnacle of the media world.

yah,, nothn left to do but retire,, maybe make some babies if you're lucky.   :mellow:

Meanwhile on Facebook

I was hoping that was the 8 hour cricket marathon and not just the trailer..

2 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

Maybe these will help,,, usually found in the same area.  :mellow:   ......

Image result for tumbleweeds gif animatedImage result for tumbleweeds gif animatedImage result for tumbleweeds gif animatedImage result for tumbleweeds gif animated

But enough about Mission Control...

2 hours ago, couchsurfer said:

Image result for tumbleweeds gif animatedImage result for tumbleweeds gif animatedImage result for tumbleweeds gif animatedImage result for tumbleweeds gif animated

Looks like a typical drive to wurk in the Dry Shitties, Washington.  Noobs have to learn not to try to dodge them.  Just plow straight ahead.  They're mostly air.  Although I did get slammed by one of those in the upper left once, riding my bicycle.  Threw me in the ditch and left a zillion little cat scratches.  Although it was not on fire - just a zephyr zooming across the road.  

4 hours ago, couchsurfer said:

I think the tumbleweeds are faster downwind than Rimas...KonTikiWeed. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RKoch said:

I think the tumbleweeds are faster downwind than Rimas...KonTikiWeed. 

I hate to be disagreeable, but, this is KonTiki weed...

How-To-Harvest-Outdoor-Marijuana-Plants-720x480.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, madohe said:

I hate to be disagreeable, but, this is KonTiki weed...

How-To-Harvest-Outdoor-Marijuana-Plants-720x480.jpg

Are those your own plants?  When's the harvest, and when is the SA Party to celebrate?

I wish, 

Must be soon, 

Help yourself...!

11 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

Per your request. Enjoy!

Who needs crickets?  We got tree frogs.  Actually, this time of year, the little fuckers collectively sound more like a jet engine. At least until the temperature drops around midnight.  

We have spring peepers in the swamp across the street from us. But with the cold weather they’ve been quiet for this time of year 

25 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

We have spring peepers in the swamp across the street from us. But with the cold weather they’ve been quiet for this time of year 

We have those fuckers on our porch. Love that flat petrified look when they crawl between the door and the jam, then you shut the door. Petrified for years. Actually, I love those little fuckers. Between them and the geese it all of a sudden becomes alive after the silence winter. Sad in a way, because I love winter.

zzz.jpg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, toddster said:

Who needs crickets?  We got tree frogs.  Actually, this time of year, the little fuckers collectively sound more like a jet engine. At least until the temperature drops around midnight.  

When I was in Antigua each night there would be a chorus of them starting at the top of the hill and the sound kind of rolled down the hillside before hitting full volume a few minutes later.  Found one of them inside the unit I was staying in.  I thought it was a small rock at first until I got close enough to take a closer look and it hopped away.  Couldn't believe how such a tiny thing could make so much noise.

There are always two or three of them in my house.  Can't keep em out.  I've learned to warn guests, since there is almost always one in their shower.  I just tell them his name is "Herman" so they won't freak out.  They also leave behind surprisingly big turds for such little guys.  That's gotta hurt.  

When we grow tomatoes in the greenhouse, that draws whiteflies.  Which draws the frogs in.  Some years, there are more frogs than tomatoes on the vines.  When I walked through the greenhouse and back to the office, likely as not there would be a frog on me somewhere.  Sitting on my shoulder, or on my hat.  Sometimes it's hard to walk without stepping on one.  

Here is some interesting comments on Facebook. Sounds like he might be countryless now.

Screenshot_2018-03-21-17-06-43-1.png

no way that's the fucking end...hahahahah, stuck on an expired passport???  wouldn't that be some shit

you all wish it would be so simple

no way that's the fucking end...hahahahah, stuck on an expired passport???  wouldn't that be some shit

you all wish it would be so simple

He says he's in Hawaii. I guess he got deporterated.

He says he's in Hawaii. I guess he got deporterated.

On FB, you can say that you are anywhere you want.

Always one of the first harbingers of Spring, here in rural SE CT.

Is this the start of the next chapter ?   'Soiling around the world'

a fitting end to our hero

living under a bridge in vietnam; no papers; begging for rice money 

It’s never the end around here

Just new chapters waiting to unfold for the masses   

I some how stopped getting notifications about 6 mo ago of our beloved grifter. Ive been here from the beginning except for the last while. He had made land after somwhow passing Fiji... 

Is he still alive? Did one of the facebook ladies sweep him off his feet yet? Did Jim beam him back to San Fran? 

A quick recap would be great. 

He was rescued by Vietnamese fishermen investigating his apparently derelict boat.    They say he was weak and half blind, unable to safely piss overboard and required assistance.    The boat drifted on to China under the helm of a chicken.    Rimas was showered in temporary Vietnamese glory, but his fate is currently unknown.   Did the Vietnamese, Putin or ICE got him?

On 3/27/2018 at 8:50 AM, 6924 said:

a fitting end to our hero

Was it the end when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor......?

38 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

Seems appropriate given where he has ended up.

Should have saved that for Fish. How the homeless toothless blind carpetbagger has survived is beyond me.

3 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Should have saved that for Fish. How the homeless toothless blind carpetbagger has survived is beyond me.

survivalle is jobb numbere oune forre roaches.

4 hours ago, Ishmael said:

How the homeless toothless blind carpetbagger has survived is beyond me.

You make him sound pathetic and that's wrong.

While there are many aspects to Rimas that are less than admirable, I said waaaaay upthread that he wins the sailing game. He beats us all. He spends almost no money, does almost no work, and enjoys the heck out of being out there. And being out there. And being out there some more.

A book I read about Einstein said he had sailing skills and practices not very different from Rimas'. He liked to drift around and think. Noticing that he could be going a bit faster/straighter/whatever and taking action to make sure that happened wasn't on the agenda at all.

Rimas is no Einstein and I don't approve of his methods but I have to admit defeat in the "sailing for fun" game. I do way more work, spend way more money, and have thousands fewer sailing miles to show for it. Drifting miles. Whatever. He still wins.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Rimas is no Einstein and I don't approve of his methods but I have to admit defeat in the "sailing for fun" game. I do way more work, spend way more money, and have thousands fewer sailing miles to show for it. Drifting miles. Whatever. He still wins.

I'd be willing to say "not pathetic" if he could simply enter a harbor or cove and anchor on his own. 

9 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

survivalle is jobb numbere oune forre roaches.

I'm with you snaggs.  He will be back.

16 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

While there are many aspects to Rimas that are less than admirable, I said waaaaay upthread that he wins the sailing game. He beats us all. He spends almost no money, does almost no work, and enjoys the heck out of being out there. And being out there. And being out there some more.

A book I read about Einstein said he had sailing skills and practices not very different from Rimas'. He liked to drift around and think. Noticing that he could be going a bit faster/straighter/whatever and taking action to make sure that happened wasn't on the agenda at all.

Well said

13 hours ago, CruiserJim said:

I'd be willing to say "not pathetic" if he could simply enter a harbor or cove and anchor on his own. 

agreed.

17 hours ago, CruiserJim said:

Most any sailor can do that.

How many of us could find the only patch of sand in thousands of miles of rocky coast and perform a perfect lawn darting while sleeping?

I'm pretty sure I can't.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

How many of us could find the only patch of sand in thousands of miles of rocky coast and perform a perfect lawn darting while sleeping?

I'm pretty sure I can't.

Pretty sure?.... that mean you have "almost" lawn darted while sleeping?   

Made me think of the 65 foot yacht that smacked into a cliff on one of the channel islands off the coast of southern California years ago while on auto pilot with no one at the helm.  Several were killed. 

20 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

I'm pretty sure I can't.

Tom:

You will not know until you try.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bfloyd4445 said:

Made me think of the 65 foot yacht that smacked into a cliff on one of the channel islands off the coast of southern California years ago while on auto pilot with no one at the helm.  Several were killed. 

Are you sure about those facts?  Are you sure it wasn't a 37 foot sailboat, involving North Coronado Island in Mexico.

Although, no need for real facts in this thread or on this website.

4 hours ago, bfloyd4445 said:

Aegean was a 37-foot Hunter 376.

If you extend their track, it goes directly to the point off Salsipuedes which is the shortest route into Ensenada. aegean_plot.jpg.7679d1efb3fc14729959f12a42b8a9c4.jpg

4 hours ago, Godzilla said:
On 3/31/2018 at 4:18 AM, Uncooperative Tom said:

I'm pretty sure I can't.

Tom:

You will not know until you try.

Thanks for pointing out another way in which Rimas is beating me at the game of sailing for fun.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Team Subterfuge said:

Are you sure about those facts?  Are you sure it wasn't a 37 foot sailboat, involving North Coronado Island in Mexico.

Although, no need for real facts in this thread or on this website.

was a long long time ago just remembered it was party time on autopilot.  Was the sailboat on autopilot? If so it could have been, I  heard it on the radio while out fishing at night. Those channel Island waters can be nasty especially at night but i do remember mention of survivors, party aboard and no one watch.

19 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

Aegean was a 37-foot Hunter 376.

If you extend their track, it goes directly to the point off Salsipuedes which is the shortest route into Ensenada. aegean_plot.jpg.7679d1efb3fc14729959f12a42b8a9c4.jpg

maybe thats the boat then. But i do remember mention of channel islands .......Thanks

1 hour ago, bfloyd4445 said:

was a long long time ago just remembered it was party time on autopilot.  Was the sailboat on autopilot? If so it could have been, I  heard it on the radio while out fishing at night. Those channel Island waters can be nasty especially at night but i do remember mention of survivors, party aboard and no one watch.

No survivors. No party, everyone asleep.

Anybody wonder how bogus stories get started? ^^^^^

56 minutes ago, bfloyd4445 said:

maybe thats the boat then. But i do remember mention of channel islands .......Thanks

I was there, 3 miles west of the north end of North Coronado Island  racing on another boat when they crashed.  We were in a classic sails only fleet, and the engines allowed fleets were catching us due to very light winds.  The weather was clear , no moon , starry skies with a moderate chop from the afternoon's winds.

It's obvious the AEGEAN SEA  hit the light winds, fired up their diesel, punched in the finish line coords on autopilot and  slammed in to the headland cliffs  a few hours later at full speed.  Obviously no lookout (they had a full dodger, truly a 3kn shitbox).  The owner/driver had won a previous N/E  race(s?) in the engine class and was touted as a Raytheon(?) engineer expert sailor in the press.  There was conjecture at the finish line party that some freighter had run them over but later their SPOT track was published and much later the actual submerged wreck was identified by divers on Coronado Island.  Um, 'scuze me but if a 500 vertical cliff with seas breaking on it is directly in front of you possibly shut off the autopilot and steer around it?

The aftermath was distasteful, their heirs sued the shit out of the OA, NOSA, NOSA officers personally, SPOT, and anybody they thought had dough. NOSA backed off from 50 years of pre-race boat inspections for all competitors before your ticket got punched; now the skipper assumes all risk.  Not sure but they may have banned motoring at night in the  engine class.   Don't care, haven't done the race in 6 years after 18 years of participation because the clown boats under power make it a non race.  The latest iteration is a conglomeration of  shorter courses for the boats that don't have the balls to do the entire 125 miles under sail.

But concerning the AEGEAN SEA, much hand wringing and oh so sad unfortunate event.  Not!  The owner and crew were so reliant on GPS,  autopilot, etc.  they didn't look out the window every 15 minutes  for a MKII eyeball assessment of their course.  Sorry, Darwin even works when coastal racing. 

On March 31, 2018 at 2:18 AM, Uncooperative Tom said:

Right, most any sailor except Rimas, which makes him pathetic. The lawn dart, escaping the reefs of Fiji, drifting from Hawaii to California, etc., he has to be the luckiest pathetic sailor in history. 

3 hours ago, bfloyd4445 said:

Must have been a different incident.

The wreck of the Aegean during the night of the 65th Ensenada race was in 2012. No survivors and no real evidence of what transpired on board. But given the circumstances, it seems highly likely that something like the following transpired:

1. The tracker shows that up to [an exact time] their track looked erratic, typical of very light air sailing, when suddenly the track data points became evenly spaced and lined up extending directly to Salsipuedes.
  2. Their chart plotter was most probably zoomed out to plot a straight-line course to Salsipuedes. At that level of zoom, it was assumed the small Coronado Islands didn't show up on the screen.
  3. All aboard dropped their guard while motoring on autopilot and possibly only 1 person or none was on deck when Aegean plowed at hull-speed into the North Coronado Island.

6 hours ago, CruiserJim said:

Right, most any sailor except Rimas, which makes him pathetic. The lawn dart, escaping the reefs of Fiji, drifting from Hawaii to California, etc., he has to be the luckiest pathetic sailor in history. 

Those are all great examples but the most amazing bits of luck to me were the two different deadly tropical weather systems that caught him in open water and...

weakened and gave him a gentle push in his intended direction.

That sentence NEVER ends that way.

• Like 1

To me, that he drifted downwind from Hawaii to SF is the most amazing feat. How often does that happen?

• Like 1

Kind of fun listening to y'all reminiscing about all of Rimas' famous accomplishments. Really opens up my geography.

I don't think this is over. No way he's just on the street in Vietnam. I don't think they'd stand for it. Nor would his fans just allow him to be stranded, particularly with his ABSOLUTELY FREE FUCKING US GOV'T MONEY piling up in the bank.

Jus sayin.

14 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

I don't think this is over. No way he's just on the street in Vietnam. I don't think they'd stand for it. Nor would his fans just allow him to be stranded, particularly with his ABSOLUTELY FREE FUCKING US GOV'T MONEY piling up in the bank.

Jus sayin.

1) I agree. Once VN is done milking the PR angle of rescuing a sailor, their tolerance for a deadbeat will evaporate. The expired passport is only a minor problem... They'll dump him on the steps of the US Embassy and say "Your problem now".

2) I don't think his FB fanclub contributes much money to him. And apparently Jean and Shannon have had enough. 

3) AFAIK he gets about $300+/mo in Social Security. That will cover his food and occasional Starbucks. Won't cover rent. US will possibly deduct airfare to return to US from his SS checks. 

4) I have no idea where he's at now. If he was deported, he's likely on the streets in Hawaii. May no longer have Internet or phone. Possibly trying to look up old contacts there to freeload off of.

RKoch, so much of RImas' story reminds me of "Wharf Rat" (Hunter/Garcia). Not so much the drunk and in jail parts but the setting...

I guess it depends which island they dump him on. I would guess they would send him to Honolulu, but I suspect most of the people he knows are in Hilo. I bet either island is pretty easy to be homeless and sleep on, but not so easy to get cheap food. Sorry, I meant free food.

7 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

RKoch, so much of RImas' story reminds me of "Wharf Rat" (Hunter/Garcia). Not so much the drunk and in jail parts but the setting...

Well, the part about buying him a cup of coffee and he'll tell you his story is similar. Except Rimas won't settle for a dime cup, he demands Starbucks. And 'August West' wraps up his story in 9 minutes whereas Rimas will prattle on forever.  It's a great song...one of GD's best...Rimas is not worthy of the honor.

The Soweto Gospel Choir just got word that Rimas's drifting career is ended. 

23 hours ago, RKoch said:

The Soweto Gospel Choir just got word that Rimas's drifting career is ended. 

Wow, they are pretty good I didn't know you were religious? Do they ever sing topless?

• Downvote 1

https://honolulu.craigslist.org/big/boa/d/free-30-sloop/6526419875.html

The story could continue!

must be taken possession of by March 29, needs haul out for minor repairs and paint. 3/4 ply wood hull, heavy framing, built in1967, good mast, rigging , sails, running rigging lots of ground tackle, solar battery charging system, 10' beam, very roomy cabin, 4 opening ports, IMPORTANT, DOES NOT COME WITH MOORING OR SLIP!

6 hours ago, jgbrown said:

https://honolulu.craigslist.org/big/boa/d/free-30-sloop/6526419875.html

The story could continue!

must be taken possession of by March 29, needs haul out for minor repairs and paint. 3/4 ply wood hull, heavy framing, built in1967, good mast, rigging , sails, running rigging lots of ground tackle, solar battery charging system, 10' beam, very roomy cabin, 4 opening ports, IMPORTANT, DOES NOT COME WITH MOORING OR SLIP!

"Needs haul out for minor repairs and paint".

Well, that would never happen if Rimas picks it up.

14 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

I thought he was still in Nam. Do we know fo shore?

When your a man of leisure of independent means anything is possible....even lawn darting

19 minutes ago, bfloyd4445 said:

When your a man of leisure of independent means anything is possible....even lawn darting

When you are a man of dependent needs leisure is possible only if you lawn dart.

Rimas done his last dart a while back.

19 hours ago, Ishmael said:

When you are a man of dependent needs leisure is possible only if you lawn dart.

Rimas done his last dart a while back.

Never under estimate the power of a Remas, he has surprised us before

Rimas has proven himself a master grifting mariner. Time to up his game. Someone needs to give him an airplane. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Rimas has proven himself a master grifting mariner. Time to up his game. Someone needs to give him an airplane. 

Or a Zeppelin!

2 minutes ago, Volkeno said:

Or a Zeppelin!

A hot air balloon is right down his alley.....

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, bfloyd4445 said:

A hot air balloon is right down his alley.....

Jim Furnish will be an unlimited supply of hot air. 

• Like 2