buys737

Sailing around the world in a San Juan 24

2 minutes ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Buttery smashed taters don't really require teeth.

I don't think that is a Vietnamese dish but I may be mistaken........maybe fish cake and sticky white rice

5 minutes ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Does anyone know how one goes about getting (possibly buttery) ashes from Vietnam?

(Asking for a friend.)

you have a friend? Congratulations

Sounds like he overstayed his welcome and there are no nice Mormon ladies handy.

I have some friends at work who spent time in some Vietnamese re-education camps before they made their way out. Maybe Rimas needs some re-education about staying closer to his enablers if he wants rescues.

Lots of Vietnamese food can be gummed by the toothless. He won't have any problem getting some food while he is breaking rocks. Good thing he didn't wash up in North Korea.

16 minutes ago, RKoch said:

'Facility' sounds like it might be jail.  

Won't phase him he is used to drifting in a teeny tiny boat. In fact it may even seem spacious and comes with hot meals everyday.

I would think whatever visa/passport issues there are can be easily handled by the American Consulate. It's their job. Lord only knows why he didn't take care of that when he landed. Probably too busy boasting about his world record sailing 'feats'.  And Rimas probably has  many months of SS checks he can use to buy an airplane ticket. 

6 hours ago, RKoch said:

I would think whatever visa/passport issues there are can be easily handled by the American Consulate. It's their job. Lord only knows why he didn't take care of that when he landed.

Yeah, most people get around to dealing with local officials right after they put away the sails.

Oh, wait...

Someone put him up in that nice hotel and I assumed it was the government of Vietnam. If it was the US government, I assume they would have flown him home at some point.

I'd be surprised if he wasn't put in contact with an American official at some point and would love to have been a bug on the wall to hear that conversation.

So, he is in jail, Facebookless, maybe needs help going to the bathroom, forced to eat prison food, make new friends and maybe forced in to work...

Imagine if the incarcerated made tiller handles instead of lisence plates...

Imagine the frustration on the part of the unfortunate person who has to attempt to force Rimas to work. Getting a cat to perform Shakespeare would be easier.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Volkeno said:

Someone put him up in that nice hotel and I assumed it was the government of Vietnam. If it was the US government, I assume they would have flown him home at some point.

I'd be surprised if he wasn't put in contact with an American official at some point and would love to have been a bug on the wall to hear that conversation.

I don't think the US govt would put him up in a hotel. They would just fly him home and Bill him for the ticket, taking it out of his SS checks if necessary. Most likely, the Vietnamese govt put him up in tha hotel as long as he was in the news. Good PR. When the news died down, govt may have done some background research discovering he was a fraud and a deadbeat, they likely demanded he start paying. Thus he's in jail. Probably puzzled that enablers aren't coming to rescue him again, and wondering why he's not being treated as a record-breaking celebrity.  

15 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

Maybe John McCain can get him out of the Hanoi Hilton...

Shoot, the US Consulate can do it. I figure about $2K... $500 to straighten out passport and visa problems, and $1500 airfare home.  Only unknown question is if he's being billed for the hotel stay. It's possible he made some sort of vague promises, counting on  enablers picking up the tab.

57 minutes ago, RKoch said:

I don't think the US govt would put him up in a hotel. They would just fly him home and Bill him for the ticket, taking it out of his SS checks if necessary. Most likely, the Vietnamese govt put him up in tha hotel as long as he was in the news. Good PR. When the news died down, govt may have done some background research discovering he was a fraud and a deadbeat, they likely demanded he start paying. Thus he's in jail. Probably puzzled that enablers aren't coming to rescue him again, and wondering why he's not being treated as a record-breaking celebrity.  

I bet the Vietnamese do want money for the hotel and food Rimas used. I bet Jean will eventually go there, or pay the bills even though his wife is currently giving him the stink eye.

9 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

So, he is in jail, Facebookless, maybe needs help going to the bathroom, forced to eat prison food, make new friends and maybe forced in to work...

Imagine if the incarcerated made tiller handles instead of lisence plates...

work requires one be capable of accepting a task, then mental decisions before forcing ones hands to the task. Remember learning to tie a shoe lace?.... Rimas forced to work....I can just see him sitting there with the thousand yard stare.  

12 hours ago, RKoch said:

Shoot, the US Consulate can do it. I figure about $2K... $500 to straighten out passport and visa problems, and $1500 airfare home.  Only unknown question is if he's being billed for the hotel stay. It's possible he made some sort of vague promises, counting on  enablers picking up the tab.

It's not that much money. How much did those kids get when they knocked their keel off in the inlet a while back? And a free boat too!

I admit to a certain temptation to start a GoFundMe to get him out and equip him with a new Delorme and something from the Zombie Fleet. Guaranteed entertainment. Just seems a bit too close to attempted murder to me.

3 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

It's not that much money. How much did those kids get when they knocked their keel off in the inlet a while back? And a free boat too!

I admit to a certain temptation to start a GoFundMe to get him out and equip him with a new Delorme and something from the Zombie Fleet. Guaranteed entertainment. Just seems a bit too close to attempted murder to me.

+ 1

6 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

We really don't know what is really going on with Rimas right now. In his usual cryptic fashion, Jean is only reporting little snippets of information on FB and letting others try to fill in the details. But, this may be what Jean was alluding to on FB a month ago when he said that Rimas would be out of touch for 3 months.

3 hours ago, Great White said:

We really don't know what is really going on with Rimas right now. In his usual cryptic fashion, Jean is only reporting little snippets of information on FB and letting others try to fill in the details. But, this may be what Jean was alluding to on FB a month ago when he said that Rimas would be out of touch for 3 months.

I guess we wait for the full story. Rimas didn't intend to stop in Vietnam, he was brought there by the fishing boat that rescued him (in presumably Intl waters).  So the visa/passport issue isn't a big deal I would think. If he was thrown in jail, it's probably due to running up hotel bills and such. He undoubtably thinks a world record sailor always gets free room and board, and doesn't have to lift a finger. It worked for him in the past, he's conditioned to keep repeating the behavior until it no longer works.

1 hour ago, RKoch said:

He undoubtably thinks a world record sailor always gets free room and board, 

Well, if he's in jail, then he's still getting free room and board.  Just a question of how much better or worse the conditions are in a Vietnamese jail vs the cabins of Mimsy and Pier Pressure. 

On 7/4/2018 at 12:07 PM, Uncooperative Tom said:

Imagine the frustration on the part of the unfortunate person who has to attempt to force Rimas to work. Getting a cat to perform Shakespeare would be easier.

That’s all I got for meow

732557F5-E67E-4A45-9E07-037824E31D1D.jpeg

3978230E-3482-4F25-BF4C-7A16D5748254.jpeg

• Like 1

Maybe he saw this guy and thought it would be a good idea to try it too....from Begboater to Begpacker...Related image

16 hours ago, RKoch said:

It worked for him in the past, he's conditioned to keep repeating the behavior until it no longer works.

I already said I was tempted to become an enabler. You don't have to dangle the carrot right in front of me.

Never mind foiling Monohulls at the next AC and Volvo Ocean stories...

How amazing of a story would it be if so mega rich guy lent him a boat like this on condition he could only single hand it,  made him do mandatory training for a couple weeks on all the systems to give him a fighting chance, stocked enough powdered potatoes for a circumnavigation, then pushed him off the dock and said go for it!

There are those who are wealthy enough not to care about the outcome of their insurance claim on the boat so it's not an impossibility!

This thread would loose it's mind if the above was set in motion! :D

Misy II.jpg

41 minutes ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

How amazing of a story would it be if so mega rich guy lent him a boat like this on condition he could only single hand it,  made him do mandatory training for a couple weeks on all the systems to give him a fighting chance, stocked enough powdered potatoes for a circumnavigation, then pushed him off the dock and said go for it!

There are those who are wealthy enough not to care about the outcome of their insurance claim on the boat so it's not an impossibility!

Misy II.jpg

Too bad Jimmy Buffet has already taken the name "Continental Drifter"...however if Rimas ever got his hands on this...find a fab shop and close in the triangle between the mast~~boom~~and vang~~...remove all other sails and equipment and let him go....

50 minutes ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

Misy II.jpg

He would set a scrap of a sail, sheet it to windward, and drift downwind at a knot and a half. Kon-Tiki style is all he's capable of, and comfortable with, doing.

Jokes aside, what is his the level of his sailing? Has anyone actually seen him sailing?

I assume he knows the following basics.

1. Wind Direction

2. Beating

3. Reaching

4. Running

Tell me I'm not wrong!

Just now, stayoutofthemiddle said:

Jokes aside, what is his the level of his sailing? Has anyone actually seen him sailing?

1. Wind Direction

2. Beating

3. Reaching

4. Running

Tell me I'm not wrong!

Well....he has more deep water NM's under his keel than 99% of all posters here....gotta understand stats...if ya know what I mean Vern...

3 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

I already said I was tempted to become an enabler. You don't have to dangle the carrot right in front of me.

image.png.8ed30783a0c96a5069d3bf48235854cb.png

8 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Well....he has more deep water NM's under his keel than 99% of all posters here....gotta understand stats...if ya know what I mean Vern...

You forgot

hove to more than 99%

lost more teeth than 99%

• Like 2

Freeloaded more than 99%

More disparaging comments than 99%

39 minutes ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

1. Wind Direction

2. Beating

3. Reaching

4. Running

Tell me I'm not wrong!

Um No....

5 minutes ago, shaggy said:

Um No....

I'm not talking about the technical aspects of Blue Water Cruising like setting a Sea Anchor, just the basics of sailing.

PS, I've never done any SERIOUS Blue Water Cruising but I've seen some YouTube videos on Sea Anchor setup and there is a lot involved and lots of considerations depending on conditions to set it correctly...

Sea Anchor.gif

1 hour ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

1. Wind Direction

2. Beating

3. Reaching

4. Running

Tell me I'm not wrong!

Legend says he has never entered a harbor without a motor or tow, let alone reached a dock.   He has lost motors overboard and due to neglect, but getting free tows has been very reliable until he met the Vietnamese fishing crew and left the boat.   Harbor masters sometimes provide free starting tows as well.   

He was tracked briefly sailing within 80' of the wind, when desperate to land American Samoa.      He may have been coached by his shore team.   He uses mismatched free sails but has never been observed to reef.  They hang until they don't, then he finds a new one.   He may be able to drop a halyard for a tow?    His track also shows any upwind travel is lost at night when he lets gets his beauty sleep while the boat drifts back on its course.     His own pictures appear to show him hove to.   This was likely accomplished by confusing his lazy sheet and windward side, or failure to notice a jibe.     

He successfully departed San Francisco? bay without touching a single line or control, not even the mooring line.    There is photo proof of his famous  lawn darting a fixed keel vertically on a small Alaskan beach while sleeping through a storm.   The legend appears very real.   

His splicing skills are unproven, but his bungee cord and silicone skills are breathtaking.   Has been quoted explaining that as a blue water sailor he didn't need to know how to anchor.   

His ability to survive at sea for weeks without apparent preparation,  the total miles covered and shores seen is actually impressive.   He is truly a master mariner  coconut.   

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

I'm not talking about the technical aspects of Blue Water Cruising like setting a Sea Anchor, just the basics of sailing.

PS, I've never done any SERIOUS Blue Water Cruising but I've seen some YouTube videos on Sea Anchor setup and there is a lot involved and lots of considerations depending on conditions to set it correctly...

Sea Anchor.gif

Shaggy was not kidding. The most Rimas is able to do is drift down wind. If really pressed he has shown the ability to beam reach, but that was a stretch. The man literally has had to be towed in and out of any harbor he has ever entered or departed.

1. Wind Direction

2. Beating

3. Reaching

4. Running

Tell me I'm not wrong!

You're wrong. 

28 minutes ago, Lark said:

Legend says he has never entered a harbor without a motor or tow, let alone reached a dock.   He has lost motors overboard and due to neglect, but getting free tows has been very reliable until he met the Vietnamese fishing crew and left the boat.   Harbor masters sometimes provide free starting tows as well.   

He was tracked briefly sailing within 80' of the wind, when desperate to land American Samoa.      He may have been coached by his shore team.   He uses mismatched free sails but has never been observed to reef.  They hang until they don't, then he finds a new one.   He may be able to drop a halyard for a tow?    His track also shows any upwind travel is lost at night when he lets gets his beauty sleep while the boat drifts back on its course.     His own pictures appear to show him hove to.   This was likely accomplished by confusing his lazy sheet and windward side, or failure to notice a jibe.     

He successfully departed San Francisco? bay without touching a single line or control, not even the mooring line.    There is photo proof of his famous  lawn darting a fixed keel vertically on a small Alaskan beach while sleeping through a storm.   The legend appears very real.   

His splicing skills are unproven, but his bungee cord and silicone skills are breathtaking.   Has been quoted explaining that as a blue water sailor he didn't need to know how to anchor.    

His ability to survive at sea for weeks without apparent preparation,  the total miles covered and shores seen is actually impressive.   He is truly a master mariner  coconut.   

Sounds like a Chuck Norris Joke!

1. Wind Direction

2. Beating

3. Reaching

4. Running

Tell me I'm not wrong!

You must be new to this thread.

Sea Anchor.gif

I've never done any Blue Water cruising either (I assume back and forth to Catalina doesn't count) but I did happen to re-read Fastnet Force 10 the other day and I think your illustration of a sea anchor that holds you beam to is probably a bad idea.  Like really bad.  

2 hours ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

1. Wind Direction

2. Beating

3. Reaching

4. Running

Tell me I'm not wrong!

1) No.

2) Def no.

3) Sometimes, by accident.

4) Yes, though at a speed that approximates drifting.

What you've left out:

He cannot dock or anchor, and always requires a tow to get into port.

He somewhat 'navigates', with the assistance of a router, but doesn't really understand it.

21 hours ago, shaggy said:

Well, if he is indeed in a Vietnam prison, His story ceases to be fodder for our entertainment and goes into the realm of the absurd...  

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2016/07/the-secretive-world-of-viet-nam-torturous-prisons/

thanks for the link. Confirms what i had already suspected

7 hours ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

Our Rimas doesn’t navigate.   Texas reef jumped out of his way.   Really.   Experienced navigators here have found no other explanation.

41 minutes ago, Lark said:

Our Rimas doesn’t navigate.   Texas reef jumped out of his way.   Really.   Experienced navigators here have found no other explanation.

It is rather remarkable him being flushed out of Fiji. I was about 90% certain he was wrecked on Texas Reef.

HOWEVER UNDER PRESSURE HE CAN PERFORM THE MOST AMAZING SAILING AND NAVIGATION FEATS

Miracles of reef navigation were required to get to 5 miles upwind of Texas reef then supreme sailing skills and navigation skills to sail out of there. How he managed this boggles the mind. The arrow marks the last transmission of the Delorme.

Alien teleportation by Romulans using a cloaking device seems the most likely explanation. You think I am kidding.

RIMAS 3ab.jpg

• Like 2

Rimus is a Romulan secret agent. Of course we facilitate his movements. He is our pinup.

romulan_commander_reboot_by_mylochka-d3796xb.jpg

1 hour ago, Lark said:

I don't think he was ever any place near Texas reef, that was a false track done to make fools of us by you know who. It seemed obvious this was the case when his real position became known. If you plot back his drift made sense, no skill required. If his course would have been the delorme track he would have had to do some real sailing, navigating, to avoid reefs and the tangle of rocks, etc. in his path.

54 minutes ago, TQA said:

Rimus is a Romulan secret agent. Of course we facilitate his movements. He is our pinup.

romulan_commander_reboot_by_mylochka-d3796xb.jpg

Wonder what kind of weapons she is hiding under her armor?

8 minutes ago, bfloyd4445 said:

I don't think he was ever any place near Texas reef, that was a false track done to make fools of us by you know who. It seemed obvious this was the case when his real position became known. If you plot back his drift made sense, no skill required. If his course would have been the delorme track he would have had to do some real sailing, navigating, to avoid reefs and the tangle of rocks, etc. in his path.

You could be right.    I’ve championed the theory Rimas prophylactically grew a thick layer of ablative weed.   As he drifted sideways on the reef the fibers of the plant acted as miniature roller bearings, it’s oils lubricating the rock.

1 minute ago, Lark said:

You could be right.    I’ve championed the theory Rimas prophylactically grew a thick layer of ablative weed.   As he drifted sideways on the reef the fibers of the plant acted as miniature roller bearings, it’s oils lubricating the rock.

chuckle....well it certainly makes more sense than Remas turning into a competent sailor in a heartbeat.....But people have been known to do miraculous things under special circumstances such as this........

Good grief.  You guys should take a few blocks of wood down to the river and watch how the current floats them around rocks. Better use of your time than hanging out here. 

20 hours ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

Dont forget, rimas played chicken with a hurricane, and the hurricane lost!

6 hours ago, Baldur said:

Rimas is, after all, the chicken master.

18 hours ago, TQA said:

HOWEVER UNDER PRESSURE HE CAN PERFORM THE MOST AMAZING SAILING AND NAVIGATION FEATS

Miracles of reef navigation were required to get to 5 miles upwind of Texas reef then supreme sailing skills and navigation skills to sail out of there. How he managed this boggles the mind. The arrow marks the last transmission of the Delorme.

Alien teleportation by Romulans using a cloaking device seems the most likely explanation. You think I am kidding.

RIMAS 3ab.jpg

I think the simplest explanation is that the wind lightened up and the water current pushed him to safety. He had complained about his tiller/ "rudder" not working, so he was likely drifting with the current and not making any way under sail.

I'm fully willing to believe he bumped some part of the reef and lost the Delorme overboard at that point and went dark until he turned up in Saipan.

Neptune has gone to incredible lengths to keep Rimas sailing. From the lawn darting in the Aleutians to the many hurricanes and other winds that blew him in a favorable directions to lucky currents that flushed him out of SF bay without damage. Once I figure out his secret I'm taking off in a 4kt shitbox with some soggy oats and no water. 

On 7/7/2018 at 6:50 AM, Baldur said:

But I'll bet remas has more teeth left than the hurracane

On 7/7/2018 at 1:59 PM, Volkeno said:

I think the simplest explanation is that the wind lightened up and the water current pushed him to safety. He had complained about his tiller/ "rudder" not working, so he was likely drifting with the current and not making any way under sail.

I'm fully willing to believe he bumped some part of the reef and lost the Delorme overboard at that point and went dark until he turned up in Saipan.

Neptune has gone to incredible lengths to keep Rimas sailing. From the lawn darting in the Aleutians to the many hurricanes and other winds that blew him in a favorable directions to lucky currents that flushed him out of SF bay without damage. Once I figure out his secret I'm taking off in a 4kt shitbox with some soggy oats and no water. 

Try to plot a course from the reef to were he was picked up. He had to navigate past reefs rocks islands not to mention the effects of the currents and wind patterns at the time this incident took place.....The only way this was possible is if he had the delorme and was being coached by the enablers. Just because there were no pings in public view dosen't mean the delorme tracker was broken or lost. Think, Plot, and you will see the light.

On 7/6/2018 at 10:12 PM, TQA said:

RIMAS 3ab.jpg

Speaking of which, competing in the category of "Boating Fuckups That Would Be More Difficult To Duplicate Than Rimas' Lawn Darting" we have the driver of the black truck. Bullseye.

11109291_10205945627511298_7265577139176

7 minutes ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Speaking of which, competing in the category of "Boating Fuckups That Would Be More Difficult To Duplicate Than Rimas' Lawn Darting" we have the driver of the black truck. Bullseye.

11109291_10205945627511298_7265577139176

Looks like the  toy forgot he had a trailer on behind when he backed into the parking slot.

12 hours ago, bfloyd4445 said:

Looks like the  toy forgot he had a trailer on behind when he backed into the parking slot.

That's a cool undergraduate (or maybe high school) physics question.   Knowing the mass of the boat and the height of the cab above the trailer, calculate the kinetic energy imparted from the black truck to the boat such that it had enough energy to be raised to that height.  This is a simple application of the law of conservation of energy:  conversion of kinetic energy to potential energy.  

From that, and knowing the mass of the black truck, work out the speed of impact of the black truck, assuming all if its kinetic energy is transferred to the boat.  

2 hours ago, bugger said:

That's a cool undergraduate (or maybe high school) physics question.   Knowing the mass of the boat and the height of the cab above the trailer, calculate the kinetic energy imparted from the black truck to the boat such that it had enough energy to be raised to that height.  This is a simple application of the law of conservation of energy:  conversion of kinetic energy to potential energy.  

From that, and knowing the mass of the black truck, work out the speed of impact of the black truck, assuming all if its kinetic energy is transferred to the boat.  

Bugger that

Kinetic energy = potential energy

(1/2) m V^2 = m g h 

(1/2) V^2 = g h 

V^2 = 2 gh 

V= SQRT ( 2 g h) 

g = 10 m/s^2

h = 1.5 m ( guess)

V = SQRT ( 2 * 10 * 1.5)

V = 5.5 m/s = 20 km/h = 12 mph

Assuming the mass of the truck = the mass of the boat (a guess),

Conservation of momentum:

m1 V1 = m2 V2

Since the mass is the same, V1 = V2. 

The truck hit the boat at 20 km/h (12 mph)

QED

Maybe he is looking to get on the next episode of Nat Geo's Banged Up Abroad

national-geographic-cover.png

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 9:12 PM, TQA said:

RIMAS 3ab.jpg

What do we think was the real story here? A tow into the harbor?

He is safer and less trouble to responders sitting in jail. That is unfortunate, but it's the result of his recklessness and the well-meaning but  irresponsible ignorant enablers. If he must be given a boat to live on, it needs to be chained and locked to a dock or mooring. 

1 hour ago, RKoch said:

He is safer and less trouble to responders sitting in jail. That is unfortunate, but it's the result of his recklessness and the well-meaning but  irresponsible ignorant enablers. If he must be given a boat to live on, it needs to be chained and locked to a dock or mooring. 

Do we know his current state ?....or is this more conjecture ?....Wanted Dead or Alive...

On 7/9/2018 at 7:56 AM, bugger said:

The boat drag coefficient must be considered. Because of the pointed bow and v hull the amount of force would not be great all that is needed is just enough to over power the tie downs if any were used. The bow support would lift the boat up lauching it into the air........Would have been a sight to behold

On 7/9/2018 at 10:03 PM, bugger said:

Kinetic energy = potential energy

(1/2) m V^2 = m g h 

(1/2) V^2 = g h 

V^2 = 2 gh 

V= SQRT ( 2 g h) 

g = 10 m/s^2

h = 1.5 m ( guess)

V = SQRT ( 2 * 10 * 1.5)

V = 5.5 m/s = 20 km/h = 12 mph

Assuming the mass of the truck = the mass of the boat (a guess),

Conservation of momentum:

m1 V1 = m2 V2

Since the mass is the same, V1 = V2. 

The truck hit the boat at 20 km/h (12 mph)

QED

That truck is a lot heavier than that boat. A boat weighing as much as a full sized hickup goes on a double axle trailer. And such a trailer likely wouldn't be crushed by the truck.

But getting the boat up there is only half the problem. What about getting it to stop so perfectly perched?

• Like 1

Thanks for all your feedback on my simple math problem. 

We really need an update from Rimas to get this thread back on track (not that it really matters whether this thread is on any track at all).  

Go the Rimas!