buys737

Sailing around the world in a San Juan 24

Over on FB, one of his friends had a video chat with Rimas. He got upset with her when she ask if he had a USA passport and implied that his passport was European !!??!! Others chimed in that he is a naturlized citizen. 

Also some comments were made that the fishermen found him, off loaded his gear, left him for 15 days and then took him aboard. I think there is some real confusion going on with his followers.

Stay tuned! It is not over yet.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2018 at 11:21 AM, Trickypig said:

Thought I’d drop by to check in on Rimas and relate a story.

Last week a neighbor’s boat lawn darted after a mooring chain parted. Everyone remarked on how it could only be achieved by drifting ashore in a complete calm with a falling tide.

Rimas always reports his misadventures as being during ‘storms’ but I’m certain the only way you can ‘lawn dart’ a boat like he did is in a dead calm on a falling tide. If there were any breeze and wave action the boat would dry out on it’s side as most boats do when washed ashore in a blow. 

Rather than be the fool who drifted onto the mud or even worse dragged a poorly set anchor,  Rimas blamed a storm. Classic Rimas.

So he is traveling stealthy and lending his services to drifting boats in need...   Perhaps professor X lent him the XJet.....  Great work if you can get it... :P 

I'd leave Rimas in the paradise he has found with free room and board. Even if the US government is paying the bills for him to be in the deluxe rubber room, it's better than living under a bridge in LA.

Poor guy...he told them he's a grand world explorer with great geography and they showed him to the soft room... 

On 7/23/2018 at 1:21 PM, Trickypig said:

Thought I’d drop by to check in on Rimas and relate a story.

Last week a neighbor’s boat lawn darted after a mooring chain parted. Everyone remarked on how it could only be achieved by drifting ashore in a complete calm with a falling tide.

Rimas always reports his misadventures as being during ‘storms’ but I’m certain the only way you can ‘lawn dart’ a boat like he did is in a dead calm on a falling tide. If there were any breeze and wave action the boat would dry out on it’s side as most boats do when washed ashore in a blow. 

Rather than be the fool who drifted onto the mud or even worse dragged a poorly set anchor,  Rimas blamed a storm. Classic Rimas.

Rimas' story is way better. It's easy to see why he's the world famous voyager here.

23 hours ago, Great White said:

Over on FB, one of his friends had a video chat with Rimas. He got upset with her when she ask if he had a USA passport and implied that his passport was European !!??!! Others chimed in that he is a naturlized citizen. 

Also some comments were made that the fishermen found him, off loaded his gear, left him for 15 days and then took him aboard. I think there is some real confusion going on with his followers.

Stay tuned! It is not over yet.

Rimas is highly offended at any suggestion that he's not a famous world-record setting sailor. 

He claims he was born in Sochi, Russia, on the Black Sea. I don't see any way he'd have a 'European Passport', if such a thing even exists. He is a naturalized US citizen. I assume he had a US Passport for his 'walk across Canada', his Carribean wandering, and the walk he took south to Panama. His prior boat voyages all ended in a US State or Territory. I don't think a US passport was entirely necessary except for an official ID. 

The Facebook fanclub is ignorant and easily confused. Rimas was taken off his boat by the Vietnamese fisherman, and remained on the fishing boat until it returned to port. That's pretty well documented in the news media and Rimas's and fishermen's own words. 

• Like 1

Do we even know that the most recent FB recount of a video/ audio we are basing current discussion even real ? Any verification? 

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 1:39 PM, SailBlueH2O said:

Do we even know that the most recent FB recount of a video/ audio we are basing current discussion even real ? Any verification? 

Nothing is real on this thread anymore! The Rimas story dried up months ago but the self amusing lives on!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Autonomous said:

Ohey!

th?id=OIP.S32_Uog5nvsBgW3l-xfugQHaGy&w=2

chuckle.....last time I say her was many years ago next morning after to much grog.......ohheee.... and the hangover wuz a duzer.

3 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

“Keep pouring, my darling Rimas!”

6B2AA040-1A92-40F1-86D1-97E00DC012F0.jpeg

yep, she does need a little gravy

Well, enough time has passed to do an epilogue.  I respect Rimas for some amazing voyages on sub-shoestring  finances,  his ability to always be rescued by US territories, and his media savvy.

I think his last voyage was an anomaly,  forced to depart with inadequate stores,  near death by starvation upon rescue, and, most critically, stepped on land in Vietnam, not US soil.   His health has deteriorated to near invalid status, he's offline concerning social media, and is allegedly ensconced in a Vietnamese paupers house, with no obvious means of escape.  Resuming voyaging is highly unlikely given that he's downwind as far as he can drift, with no benefactor proffering a free 4knsb.

The Rimas saga is over.  I've been wrong before, wrongly declaring him dead or lost several times in the last few years, but I think the bell has tolled on Rimas's famousity.   The only progression I can imagine is he gets repatriated to the US to live his remaining  mortal coil as a ward of the state.

• Like 1

Yea, I don't see him being given another free boat. The Vietnamese pauper house is probably better care than he'd get in the US. 

2 hours ago, axolotl said:

Resuming voyaging is highly unlikely given that he's downwind as far as he can drift...

People forget he made the 80 or miles from Oak Harbor to Tatoosh on his second SJ24.  Quite possibly under power the whole way, IDK.  And he appeared to be heading towards Cape Horn when 3 of his 4 shrouds parted company with the boat, forcing his first detour to Hawaii.

He followed that by sailing back to SF from Hawaii.  You know the trip where the enablers called in a CG search when he said he had "lost" liferaft and was in danger.  Turned out the liferaft became "lost" after he had done a test deployment.  IIRC, there is a photo somewhere in this thread of the liferaft under tow.

So while I agree he did not seem to be able to sail upwind as we know it - I'm guessing he was probably able to steer something resembling the course of a square rigger.  Or maybe I'm just being a tad optimistic.

Gotta believe it's over. Even if he got a boat his health probably wouldn't allow it.  Our hero had a good run.  Ohey! Rimas Ohey!

• Like 2

His sailing exploits may be over, but I still follow his FB page to see if or how he gets out of his current situation. And watching his enablers struggling to figure out away get him home...wherever that will be.

• Like 1

Pretty amazing US gov has not got him back. Surely Vietnam would be happy to deport him at their cost of airfare. 

10 hours ago, axolotl said:

The Rimas saga is over.  I've been wrong before, wrongly declaring him dead or lost several times in the last few years, but I think the bell has tolled on Rimas's famousity. 

Thanks for posting that. Because it appears to be one of the things that must happen before he gets back on the water and entertains us some more.

In the grand scheme of things, his geography was indeed huge.

11 hours ago, Great White said:

His sailing exploits may be over, but I still follow his FB page to see if or how he gets out of his current situation. And watching his enablers struggling to figure out away get him home...wherever that will be.

us non FB people appreciate your efforts in keeping us informed

8 hours ago, SCANAS said:

Pretty amazing US gov has not got him back. Surely Vietnam would be happy to deport him at their cost of airfare. 

Maybe the US gov has written him off and has stopped his welfare checks.....oh, I mean ssi

27 minutes ago, bfloyd4445 said:

Maybe the US gov has written him off and has stopped his welfare checks.....oh, I mean ssi

It's pretty well established Rimas is on Social Security (+-$300/mo.), not SSI.  You continue to receive Social Security as an expat, not so for SSI:

"To get SSI, you must be disabled, blind, or at least 65 years old and have "limited" income and resources.

small blue ballIn addition, to get SSI, you must also:

• reside in the United States or the Northern Mariana Islands;
    • not be absent from the country for a full calendar month or more or for 30 consecutive days or more; and
    • be either a U.S. citizen or national, or in one of certain categories of qualified non–citizens."

10 hours ago, axolotl said:

It's pretty well established Rimas is on Social Security (+-$300/mo.), not SSI.  You continue to receive Social Security as an expat, not so for SSI:

"To get SSI, you must be disabled, blind, or at least 65 years old and have "limited" income and resources.

small blue ballIn addition, to get SSI, you must also:

• reside in the United States or the Northern Mariana Islands;
    • not be absent from the country for a full calendar month or more or for 30 consecutive days or more; and
    • be either a U.S. citizen or national, or in one of certain categories of qualified non–citizens."

I stand corrected. I tend to lump SS and SSI together and they are totally different. Some of my retired coworkers get ssi and they live in Mexico. They do return to the states often .

Went to this website: https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10137.pdf

And it appears you can receive ssi payments living abroad. There is a list of countries in which you get nothing.

On 8/13/2018 at 11:49 AM, 12 metre said:

People forget he made the 80 or miles from Oak Harbor to Tatoosh on his second SJ24.  Quite possibly under power the whole way, IDK.  And he appeared to be heading towards Cape Horn when 3 of his 4 shrouds parted company with the boat, forcing his first detour to Hawaii.

He followed that by sailing back to SF from Hawaii.  You know the trip where the enablers called in a CG search when he said he had "lost" liferaft and was in danger.  Turned out the liferaft became "lost" after he had done a test deployment.  IIRC, there is a photo somewhere in this thread of the liferaft under tow.

So while I agree he did not seem to be able to sail upwind as we know it - I'm guessing he was probably able to steer something resembling the course of a square rigger.  Or maybe I'm just being a tad optimistic.

Oh boy. You haven't been paying attention have you?

• Like 1

Something is rather odd with his papers.

If he really was a US citizen, then our Embassy boys would have sorted everything out by now.  

Note, that up until being brought ashore in Vietnam - our Hero always landed on US territories. It seemed an obession with him.  Hmm, maybe our Hero had some quircky refugee status with the USG but never got naturalized. 

Maybe he's stateless. He's no longer a Soviet Citizen - having resigned way back when.  I recall with the Russians ( just like the US ) if you resign, they ain't EVER letting sign up ever again. 

Maybe his anger at the FB questions related to his trying to get Latvian Citizenship - he is a ethnic Lett (or whatever the heck they call themselves ) and hence his retort that he is a European Citizen. 

All totally FUBAR , but maybe a SA legal eagle will know more

• Like 1

He may not want to be in Hawaii for a few more months if Lane hits.

Look on the bright side, he can speak "8" languages now and 5 American dialects..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 6924 said:

Something is rather odd with his papers.

If he really was a US citizen, then our Embassy boys would have sorted everything out by now.  

Note, that up until being brought ashore in Vietnam - our Hero always landed on US territories. It seemed an obession with him.  Hmm, maybe our Hero had some quircky refugee status with the USG but never got naturalized. 

Maybe he's stateless. He's no longer a Soviet Citizen - having resigned way back when.  I recall with the Russians ( just like the US ) if you resign, they ain't EVER letting sign up ever again. 

Maybe his anger at the FB questions related to his trying to get Latvian Citizenship - he is a ethnic Lett (or whatever the heck they call themselves ) and hence his retort that he is a European Citizen. 

All totally FUBAR , but maybe a SA legal eagle will know more

I wonder if he racked up a lot of bills with the hotel he was in and now they want to be paid. The fishermen may want to be compensated as well. So, they pull his passport and send him to his homeless shelter.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:

Looks like he may be in a new-to-him boat already.

This has been sighted on Facebook Yacht Club...

many_shackles.thumb.jpg.07911d72d5e2904843e3bdb6d45f2174.jpg

That is a more expensive than a nicropress pennant 

Only King Ineptune could daisy chain that many fittings together to increase the failure rate enough to make it a great adventure...

27 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:

Looks like he may be in a new-to-him boat already.

This has been sighted on Facebook Yacht Club...

many_shackles.thumb.jpg.07911d72d5e2904843e3bdb6d45f2174.jpg

Rimas would have used a bungee...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Yup.

Or Dyneema strop.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

He may not want to be in Hawaii for a few more months if Lane hits.

Look on the bright side, he can speak "8" languages now and 5 American dialects..

thats funny, but you forgot to add and fluent in none.

1 hour ago, Norse Horse said:

Only King Ineptune could daisy chain that many fittings together to increase the failure rate enough to make it a great adventure...

Thats way over his head, he would have gotten lost trying to figure out the first fitting . He is a white stuff and bungee expert not a mechanic or engineer

1 hour ago, RKoch said:

Rimas would have used a bungee...

you got it! Bungee or maybe caulking

Rimas wouldn't even know that the tack needs to be secured, or at any certain height. He'd have left it loose.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, longy said:

Rimas wouldn't even know that the tack needs to be secured, or at any certain height. He'd have left it loose.

If my memory serves me, Rimas like his self flopping jibs tacked on a 3 or 4 foot pennant 

17 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

If my memory serves me, Rimas like his self flopping jibs tacked on a 3 or 4 foot pennant 

That's about 24 shackles. Gonna cost a fortune.

If that were Rimas, that would have been his anchor rode run up to the masthead 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

If that were Rimas, that would have been his anchor rode run up to the masthead 

anchor rode? Remass?......He dosent do anchors why would he even have one....maybe for fishin

/

/

For Rimas that's actually a head pennant - the sail would be upside down.  

World record blue water sailors with huge geography don't have any use for anchors or the bits a pieces that go with them.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CruiserJim said:

For Rimas that's actually a head pennant - the sail would be upside down.  

selfflop.jpg

37 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

selfflop.jpg

I still think that's a small mainsail set right side up. Tack angle is nearly 90 degrees. 

19 hours ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Raiding the hardware tackle box and cleaning it out for that pennant!

- Stumbling

9 minutes ago, RKoch said:

I still think that's a small mainsail set right side up. Tack angle is nearly 90 degrees. 

It makes you wonder how many Ethereal Beings he has plain worn out watching over him in his travels.

- Stumbling

49 minutes ago, Autonomous said:

Any noise on Facebook or...?

sure aint no noise on this thread.
Its like our world record drifter has died and drifted into a private world of buttery smashed taters......Or maybe he is still enjoying the bevy of Vietnamese girls he was last pictured with?

Or he’s been imprisoned and needs the SA Team to extract him

0446E8CD-B089-442C-A9E4-AC92005E601B.jpeg

• Like 1

LOL.... no worries Albert Camus and Rimas are belly laughing over this thread.... if ya know what I mean Vern....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sail4beer said:

Or he’s been imprisoned and needs the SA Team to extract him

0446E8CD-B089-442C-A9E4-AC92005E601B.jpeg

chuckle......I can just picture a self appointed SA team charging in, tossing Rimas out the window, then examining the girls to make sure they have not been .......I don't know but I'm sure they, we, will know what to do

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bfloyd4445 said:

chuckle......I can just picture a self appointed SA team charging in, tossing Rimas out the window, then examining the girls to make sure they have not been .......I don't know but I'm sure they, we, will know what to do

"Stand back, I'm a gynecologist! Somebody boil some water!"

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ishmael said:

"Stand back, I'm a gynecologist! Somebody boil some water!"

Boil water??? Ishmael you don't have to cook em before you eat em 

• Like 2

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 6:23 PM, axolotl said:

Well, enough time has passed to do an epilogue.  I respect Rimas for some amazing voyages on sub-shoestring  finances,  his ability to always be rescued by US territories, and his media savvy.

I think his last voyage was an anomaly,  forced to depart with inadequate stores,  near death by starvation upon rescue, and, most critically, stepped on land in Vietnam, not US soil.   His health has deteriorated to near invalid status, he's offline concerning social media, and is allegedly ensconced in a Vietnamese paupers house, with no obvious means of escape.  Resuming voyaging is highly unlikely given that he's downwind as far as he can drift, with no benefactor proffering a free 4knsb.

The Rimas saga is over.  I've been wrong before, wrongly declaring him dead or lost several times in the last few years, but I think the bell has tolled on Rimas's famousity.   The only progression I can imagine is he gets repatriated to the US to live his remaining  mortal coil as a ward of the state.

I still respect him for that death-defying passage from almost Mexico to Hilo with half his standing rigging gone.  It was gutsy downwind sailing, which it turned out to be the only kind of sailing he's even halfway good at.    Take a look way back at posts 57, 60, and 62, to remember what that must have been like---insane, but he made it.

The rest is epilogue for me,  sometimes irritating to upwind sailors and to panhandlees (is that a word?).

55 minutes ago, nolatom said:

I still respect him for that death-defying passage from almost Mexico to Hilo with half his standing rigging gone.  It was gutsy downwind sailing, which it turned out to be the only kind of sailing he's even halfway good at.    Take a look way back at posts 57, 60, and 62, to remember what that must have been like---insane, but he made it.

The rest is epilogue for me,  sometimes irritating to upwind sailors and to panhandlees (is that a word?).

Yes he was lucky to have survived. I believe he just hug on for dear life like he was on a roller coaster ride. 

He is most definitely a survivor

• Like 1

Rimas and respect, do these words belong in the same sentence?

I am in awe of his grifting skills, free boats dockage food etc.

I am in awe of the abilities of his many guardian angels that have seen him survive reefs storms and equipment failures.

Webb Chiles I respect, Shane Acton I respect, Jeanne Socrates I respect but not Rimas.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, TQA said:

I am in awe of the abilities of his many guardian angels that have seen him survive reefs storms and equipment failures.

Webb Chiles I respect, Shane Acton I respect, Jeanne Socrates I respect but not Rimas.

+100

12 hours ago, TQA said:

Well spoken TQA

On 9/19/2018 at 2:15 PM, Para Handy said:

#FindRimas

He’s not been seen or heard from in months. WTFRU Rimas?

I am presently on the ground here in Vietnam. Looked into all the Starbuck’s I passed. Being diligent, I have also checked out all of the hostess bars along the way (Holy shit!)

I can say this burg, Ho Chi Mihn City, is wayy too classy for our favorite idiot sailor. One could very happily spend one’s last years out in the provinces here. Rimas couldn’t have chose a better endpoint. We will never find him.

We don't necessarily need Rimas back, we just need someone to smuggle in a Delorme to his cell and keep the subscription current until we are all bored. Alternatively, they could get him a phone and sim card, but I think whichever it is, it needs to have very small buttons for the poetry to happen. 

22 hours ago, Varan said:

Rimas is dead. Long live Rimas.

he aint daid yet, he is in private session with a troop of teenage vietnamese girls.............or wuzplease