buys737

Sailing around the world in a San Juan 24

2 hours ago, Volkeno said:

I may donate some caulk!

That could expensive considering how much he uses. The boat might be a cheaper option. 

• Like 1

On 5/17/2019 at 11:56 AM, Varan said:

That could expensive considering how much he uses. The boat might be a cheaper option. 

I wonder does Rimas actually do the caulking himself? Sounds like work to me.

The dead Mahi Mahi would probably do a neater job

Rimas has just arrived in beautiful Kauai for a vaca...he says he'll wait for the summer sailing season to be over  in the PNW and buy a boat when the "prices are better"....

On 4/5/2019 at 12:21 PM, xyzzy said:

A 5' sailboat, launched from near Portland, OR on Dec 2nd 2017 made a record breaking none-handed voyage across great geography to make it to Tarawa, arriving on the beach without a tow.

https://ktvl.com/news/local/mini-boat-built-by-richmond-elementary-school-students-washes-ashore-on-tiny-pacific-atoll

A 5,000 mile trip, but GPS data indicates it took a 14,000 mile route.  Did it make better time than Rimas?  Can it sail upwind?

It made landfall without a tow. Something the remas has never done.

2 hours ago, bfloyd4445 said:

It made landfall without a tow. Something the remas has never done.

Untrue. He got rescued off his boat once.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BravoBravo said:

Rimas has just arrived in beautiful Kauai for a vaca...he says he'll wait for the summer sailing season to be over  in the PNW and buy a boat when the "prices are better"....

For the prices of the boats he is looking at, they are all junkers. 

3 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Or twice...

rawson.jpg

2014_11_04_cesura.jpg

23 hours ago, Ishmael said:

yep, your right i had forgot.

what I'm about to say may have been said already as I skipped last few years of posts, sorry if the case.

Just checked if he is alive, apparently he is, and all the travails hasn't diminished his longing for the next sailing adventure/mishap. 

Does he have a death wish, or rather wish not to die in a hospital bed with  tubes sticking out of all the possible orifices?, or is it a 'freedom from nothing left to loose'?, I can understand both, 'cause , I (and anybody else for that matter) may be a breath away from either and do nothing about it,; but I believe there is more to it..

To all detractors, he is embodiment of an Anarchist and should be made an honorary life time member here :)

On 6/7/2019 at 9:17 PM, See Level said:

24,811 posts mostly about him aren't enough?

I cant believe this shit is still going on   lol

2 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

I cant believe this shit is still going on   lol

But, he is boat shopping for a new $500 4k, sorry 1.5k shitbox!

Maybe he read about the Hydro tri auction...he likes to go great, great...better to have her go in a blaze of glory than cut up.

Cue face palm now...

• Like 1

On 6/7/2019 at 6:10 PM, kazo said:

Does he have a death wish, or rather wish not to die in a hospital bed with  tubes sticking out of all the possible orifices?, or is it a 'freedom from nothing left to loose'?, I can understand both, 'cause , I (and anybody else for that matter) may be a breath away from either and do nothing about it,; but I believe there is more to it..

To all detractors, he is embodiment of an Anarchist and should be made an honorary life time member here :)

Possibly, but my guess is it beats the hell out of living under a bridge or overpass.  Especially when no work is involved and others enable him to do so.  I would probably do something very similar if I was in his shoes.

• Like 1

Apparently Rimas left Hawaii and is in Juneau Alaska.

I'm not allowed to comment on his page, or I would ask about his tour.

Mostly his commentators just send emojis with hearts and flowers

Volkeno,

Is it possible to create a sock on Facebook?  I don't go there anymore because it's an even bigger time vacuum than SA.  If you can, or if there is anyone here that has not been unfriended by Rimas, perhaps a liberal splashing of heart and flowers emojis can hide a few key questions. e.g.,

"Captain Rimas: <captain with scrambled egg hat emoji>

I just love <multiple heart emojis> your sense of adventure. <heart and flower emojis, swashbuckling Errol Flynn type pirate emoji>

<heart and flower emojis>Do you know how to sail? <more heart and flower emojis, boat emoji, steering wheel emoji>

Don't let the haters distract you <guillotine emoji>. Just keep enjoying your record breaking <trophy emoji> voyages <cruise ship emoji>

<multiple heart and flower emojis> <unicorn emoji>

7 hours ago, Volkeno said:

Apparently Rimas left Hawaii and is in Juneau Alaska.

I'm not allowed to comment on his page, or I would ask about his tour.

Mostly his commentators just send emojis with hearts and flowers

He actually was in Juneau last weekend and then flew to Kauai on Monday. 

He unfriended me from Facebook early this year then reinstated me and told me not to post on his page. Then he unfriended me again. When I ask why, he said that his other friends said to get rid of me. He then reinstated me again and feels the need to PM his pictures. Including a picture of his airline ticket.

I am surprised to see his activity mentioned here as I was friends with him on FB. Just checked and I guess he unfriended me. Don't know why, guess I did not donate my boat to his RTW adventure.

14 hours ago, Shu said:

Volkeno,

Is it possible to create a sock on Facebook?  I don't go there anymore because it's an even bigger time vacuum than SA.  If you can, or if there is anyone here that has not been unfriended by Rimas, perhaps a liberal splashing of heart and flowers emojis can hide a few key questions. e.g.,

"Captain Rimas: <captain with scrambled egg hat emoji>

I just love <multiple heart emojis> your sense of adventure. <heart and flower emojis, swashbuckling Errol Flynn type pirate emoji>

<heart and flower emojis>Do you know how to sail? <more heart and flower emojis, boat emoji, steering wheel emoji>

Don't let the haters distract you <guillotine emoji>. Just keep enjoying your record breaking <trophy emoji> voyages <cruise ship emoji>

<multiple heart and flower emojis> <unicorn emoji>

One FB account is plenty for me. Rimas unfriended me when he was in Hawaii after his escape from Monterrey. He didn't like my comments and the one that got me banned was just asking if he had gone out sailing after he commented on how much he loved sailing. I am following him so I see when he posted new pictures, but I can't comment.

He did go through all my pictures on FB when he originally friended me and now as a follower, I don't think he can see my page. 

If he wasn't getting another boat, I would stop following hi FB page.

He's wearing old fart's sunglasses outdoors all the time now.  I'm guessing the opthamologist who replaced his cataract damaged lenses told him to do so.  Nice hat too.

rimas.jpg.043829c2db8d52ed6832ec2c5f1bb05d.jpg

4 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

Slim pickin's for the King to choose from but there is a Rawson!@!

It will take some grifting but there it is. 1976 Rawson 30 - boats - by owner - marine sale1

Nice, all ready for a good caulking job. I'm sure the present owner would love getting paid to have her hauled away.

On 6/15/2019 at 9:18 AM, axolotl said:

He's wearing old fart's sunglasses outdoors all the time now.  I'm guessing the opthamologist who replaced his cataract damaged lenses told him to do so.  Nice hat too.

rimas.jpg.043829c2db8d52ed6832ec2c5f1bb05d.jpg

"Where is my old boat? I am sure I left it standing around here somewhere."

• Like 1

Wow....Mimsy was in really good shape when Rimas started

mimssy.jpg

9 minutes ago, BravoBravo said:

Wow....Mimsy was in really good shape when Rimas started

mimssy.jpg

Pre-Caulk and Pre-Macrame.

4 hours ago, bigrpowr said:

didnt mimsy have davits ?

I think she had one davit for most of her miserable life under Rimas' gentle care.

Wow, only up to page 25, going to take some real effort to catch up (but I guess he didn't die in the ITCZ).

• Like 1

You guys didn't hear? RImas did the R2AK under an alias and drifted past the finish line in Ketchican and ended up in Juneau!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

You guys didn't hear? RImas did the R2AK under an alias and drifted past the finish line in Ketchican and ended up in Juneau on Juno!

81MnCZy3ieL._SY445_.jpg

• Like 1

But wait, what became of the big American flags on Mimsy ?? 

Rimas is leaving it late for the NW Passage [to Japan via the Aleutians] any word on a boat yet?

I see a Santana 20 in his price range, comes with a spinnaker like he wanted...no motor and this one will drift faster in light airs with the spinnaker set backwinded. Race to Alaska Santana 20 - boats - by owner - marine sale

In Ketchikan...1000 bucks

"New pictures from Sitka, Alaska June 2019 It was warm and beautiful - please enjoy! I will be returning to Kauai island in August 2019."

How is this guy pulling it off?  He's jet set vacation travelled more than I have in the last year,  he's had cataract surgery and bought a bunch of flashy clothes.  What's this dude's magic lantern?rimas.jpg.b86fee9a9eef8107b8a89c015cb76316.jpg

48 minutes ago, axolotl said:

"I will be returning to Kauai island in August 2019."

Wouldn't be surprised if he hooks up with one of the goody goody old woman in Hanalei.

la.thumb.jpg.ab340a68ffa333f86a4da9a7ae372dc4.jpg

3 hours ago, axolotl said:

"New pictures from Sitka, Alaska June 2019 It was warm and beautiful - please enjoy! I will be returning to Kauai island in August 2019."

How is this guy pulling it off?  He's jet set vacation travelled more than I have in the last year,  he's had cataract surgery and bought a bunch of flashy clothes.  What's this dude's magic lantern?rimas.jpg.b86fee9a9eef8107b8a89c015cb76316.jpg

He is on the government tit.

All those months drifting around and sitting in Vietnam he was racking up monthly checks from Social Security, plus he could have a patron or two. I'm sure the eye surgery was covered by Medicare or Medicaid. I don't think it's very expensive and it's a big improvement.

Flights are pretty cheap right now between Seattle and Hawaii or Alaska, but he could have friends that are spotting him a ticket here and there.

17 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Wouldn't be surprised if he hooks up with one of the goody goody old woman in Hanalei.

la.thumb.jpg.ab340a68ffa333f86a4da9a7ae372dc4.jpg

Ahh, the old Murphy triplets are still kicking up the fun and sun...

I’d personally never let anyone dressing like Rimas get near a boat.

9A318FA4-5A08-4452-B52E-794455E9B885.jpeg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

Ahh, the old Murphy triplets are still kicking up the fun and sun...

I’d personally never let anyone dressing like Rimas get near a boat.

9A318FA4-5A08-4452-B52E-794455E9B885.jpeg

thats funny, you hit the nail with that remark

21 hours ago, couchsurfer said:

This cockroach still ticking?  :mellow:

And are you? :)

And are you still fooling? :angry:

On 6/10/2019 at 12:06 PM, Volkeno said:

But, he is boat shopping for a new $500 4k, sorry 1.5k shitbox!

Shitbox?  That's what we called our cars in high school.  That was a long time ago,

5 hours ago, Antoine31 said:

Shitbox?  That's what we called our cars in high school.  That was a long time ago,

Humm...must be that mommy and daddy bought them for you? Usually if you have to work and save the money for a car when you buy one you are proud and fall in love with it. For awhile at least

• Like 1

Looks like our boy is commuting to Kauai again. This dropped into my message box this morning. I have lost track of how much traveling he has done across the Pacific this year. And how appropriate that the pics were taken in a Oak Harbor Starbucks.

Screenshot_20190804-120132.png

Damn it. I first me him in Oak Harbor, during WIRW before he took off on Pier Pressure, his SJ24. We chatted on his boat, which was stuffed with supplies for his great round the world adventure, paying no mind to the shot standing rigging. Now he was back, right after, or maybe during WIRW and I missed him. Damn it. If he only would have camped on the Navy base. No way we were driving to Starbucks. Peace out Rimas. Maybe we will see you in Point Roberts next year.

It occurred to me to wonder what's happened to Rimas since I had seen nothing from or about him in a while, so I checked in on Facebook.

He unfriended me at some point!

Do I still get my buttery ashes?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Repastinate Tom said:

It occurred to me to wonder what's happened to Rimas since I had seen nothing from or about him in a while, so I checked in on Facebook.

He unfriended me at some point!

Do I still get my buttery ashes?

He unfriended me too. I sent him a PM and he reinstated me but told me not to post anything. He said that someone said that i should be kicked off. He only seems to like comments from women who sends him flowers.  But then he occasionally will send me a bunch of pictures of Kauai or wherever he happens to be.

He is posting pictures from Kauai and dreaming of sailing he Indian Ocean to Europe because he has thousands of friends in Europe. (Mostly they appear to be middle aged women and I think he is starting a career as a gigolo). I don't know if he has a time line to look for a boat, or if he is settled in to visiting friends and supporters until he gets moved along.

I just follow his FB page so I can see his posts without him going through my photos.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Volkeno said:

He is posting pictures from Kauai and dreaming of sailing he Indian Ocean to Europe because he has thousands of friends in Europe. (Mostly they appear to be middle aged women and I think he is starting a career as a gigolo). I don't know if he has a time line to look for a boat, or if he is settled in to visiting friends and supporters until he gets moved along.

I just follow his FB page so I can see his posts without him going through my photos.

Seems to me the only traveling he has been doing is via jet. My feeling is his drifting days are ended and he is biding his time waiting for some well heeled woman to make him an offer he can't refuse. He appears to be getting even skinnier from his pix.

I've only just found this thread - perhaps the best one on SA. It may take weeks to read the whole thing and catch up on this dodgy character's odyssey. 

Is he a modern Tristan Jones, grifting along with Youtube and a breadcrumb trail of garbled words? Or the Chauncey Gardner of world cruising?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

I've only just found this thread - perhaps the best one on SA. It may take weeks to read the whole thing and catch up on this dodgy character's odyssey. 

Is he a modern Tristan Jones, grifting along with Youtube and a breadcrumb trail of garbled words? Or the Chauncey Gardner of world cruising?

Are you kidding? He more closely resembles a common street hustler or a carnie with a profitable scam

He unfriended me also a few  months ago, sent a couple of PMs thru facebook, but no response from him. I don't follow him anymore on facebook. He is no Tristan Jones. Tristan could a least spin a coherent tall tale and make it interesting. I think Rimas is done with his RTW great adventure.

On 7/6/2019 at 8:01 PM, axolotl said:

Looking at what he's eating, he's clearly pulling it off with the help of a health-conscious woman (who bought the food and took the photo).

..."depending on the kindness of strangers!"

You 'spose ol' Rimas (ohey!) is packin' a mule rather than a chicken?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

Looking at what he's eating, he's clearly pulling it off with the help of a health-conscious woman (who bought the food and took the photo).

..."depending on the kindness of strangers!"

I didn't notice before; Avocados prunes and bread with iced coffee??  No wonder he is getting thinner and thinner.

Wonder where he is really staying at?

7 hours ago, Autonomous said:

You 'spose ol' Rimas (ohey!) is packin' a mule rather than a chicken?

From the looks of him he aint strong enough to pack a mule. The chicken is likely more than he can handle today. I'll bet his success may be due to his skill with one of them electric buzzy things.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bfloyd4445 said:

From the looks of him he aint strong enough to pack a mule. The chicken is likely more than he can handle today. I'll bet his success may be due to his skill with one of them electric buzzy things.

Y'never know who's packing...or popping little blue pills.  But all it really takes is the right set of glances and some ESL bullshit and voila he's got a new sponsor.

With the price of Avacados here in the lower 48, I can't even imagine how big a hit to his SS that might represent ... if he weren't grifting ...

1 hour ago, jamhass said:

With the price of Avacados here in the lower 48, I can't even imagine how big a hit to his SS that might represent ... if he weren't grifting ...

??..they are maybe $1.50  $2.00 max each for certified organic in Sacramento Ca. and Roseburg Oregon. You can often find conventional ones for 4 for Five dollars sometimes less......Chuckle..of course i think most of the avacados are raised in Ca. In fact Hass avocados are native to Ca. Every Hass A in the world originally came from Ca., stock. They were discovered in 1920 in La Habra Ca. by a guy named Hass. Up untill Mexico got into the game most avacados eaten in the USa came from Ca.

Rimas probably loves it on Kauai, no one can starve there. The island is infested with chickens that escaped during the Inike hurricane. They are everywhere!

59 minutes ago, Big Bob said:

Rimas probably loves it on Kauai, no one can starve there. The island is infested with chickens that escaped during the Inike hurricane. They are everywhere!

what good would they do him? He would have to catch kill and cook them and i can't see him doing that as long as he has a micky d around and starbucks...not to mention lady admirers to serve him

Peace out y'all.

OK, been having an awesome weekend here in the States after several months of intense work. Wanted to wish everyone a happy holiday (Labor Day here) and best wishes. Did not know where to post it, so I picked the longest running thread in the history of the universe. Wishing you all the very best,  Rimas included. Thank you so much. Happy Holiday.

• Like 2

This guy is so nautical that his coffee mug has a cleat on it. 

Betcha it’s the only cleat he’s ever touched.

59F911A5-04FD-4C0F-AE10-D91CEDDE164B.jpeg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

This guy is so nautical that his coffee mug has a cleat on it. 

Betcha it’s the only cleat he’s ever touched.

59F911A5-04FD-4C0F-AE10-D91CEDDE164B.jpeg

Thats not his cup, it obviously was placed by the photographer to establish the mood.

My guess is that 1,000 mile stare of his likely means he really isnt at home anyway.

9 hours ago, Varan said:

Matching BLOUSE and purse too... or is that a satchel?

FIFY

• Like 1

I can’t believe this thread is turning 250 soon. 

That page rate is about 1/4 of the amount of the mileage in his stare.

Fuck me, this thread's still running! Stay away for a few months and fuck all happens, yet folks are still posting. Yes, I know it's mostly shite, but folks are still posting. Why?

See you again somewhere around the 300 mark.

4 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

I can’t believe this thread is turning 250 soon. 

That page rate is about 1/4 of the amount of the mileage in his stare.

If he sits in starbucks long enough it will soon be 100%....Seems to be the only placehe is seen anymore

3 hours ago, Para Handy said:

Fuck me, this thread's still running! Stay away for a few months and fuck all happens, yet folks are still posting. Yes, I know it's mostly shite, but folks are still posting. Why?

See you again somewhere around the 300 mark.

I ask myself that everytime i log in. He is done and this line of crap will slowly dry out, I give it another year

Can we give him a used navy drone?    They are very seaworthy.   Rimas could have loads of fun pretending he’s steering.   We could raffle off course changes to pay for the poetry generator.    He will no longer tarnish the reputations of ‘fine sailors’ such as those that populate this thread.   

35FCF116-753B-44CF-8178-A7950D4CA66B.jpeg

• Like 2

On 6/19/2019 at 9:57 AM, Essex said:

Wow, only up to page 25, going to take some real effort to catch up (but I guess he didn't die in the ITCZ).

Read the whole lot! It's worth it.

20 hours ago, Lark said:

Can we give him a used navy drone?    They are very seaworthy.   Rimas could have loads of fun pretending he’s steering.   We could raffle off course changes to pay for the poetry generator.    He will no longer tarnish the reputations of ‘fine sailors’ such as those that populate this thread.   

35FCF116-753B-44CF-8178-A7950D4CA66B.jpeg

That would never work there is no place to hang his mahi mahi from. Nothing to caulk what would he do in his spare time? Make seaweed soup maybe

Today, vegetarian farmer Rimas posted a lot of photos of fruits and a chicken.

He said anyone can visit him, needing only a round trip airplane ticket. I'm pretty sure he means hot eastern European women of a certain age that can get a US visa.

On 8/30/2019 at 2:35 AM, Israel Hands said:

You should try the 1000 days thread, an SA classic. 

• Like 1

On 8/22/2013 at 2:25 PM, buys737 said:

Have you ever wondered (hypothetically) just how far you could go if you set sail one day and headed out over the horizon in a Craiglist special 4ksb with almost no preparation? Well...now you dont have to because three weeks ago this Russian immigrant, Rimas Meleshyus, left Oak Harbor, Washington in an old San Juan 24 he bought for $500 the month before. Where is he headed? Around the world...via Cape Horn. He has no autopilot or self steering, no communications equipment other than a handheld VHF. He has two ancient handheld gps units, 85 gallons of water and a boatload of food. Despite everyone telling him this was probably a bad idea, he left determined to follow his dream. This isn't the first time he's tried this kind of thing. A couple he spent 34 days crossing the Gulf of Alaska, also in a SJ24. He ended up shipwrecked on an island near Kodiak for 9 days before he was rescued by the Coast Guard. I gave him a Spot tracker and a bunch of batteries for it because I figured this could be an interesting show. He is currently a few hundred miles off the coast of Northern California. His progress has not been particularily good. 25 to 50 miles a day...but not always in the right direction. Right now he seems like maybe he's changed his mind and is headed for Hawaii. Anyway, I've attached a link to his Spot tracker if anyone's interested. He seems like a really nice guy with a huge dream and a lot of determination. I wish him well, but he has a lot of challenges ahead of him that Im afraid he's not prepared for.

Here's a link to an article in the local paper. There is also quite a bit of info on the guy if you google him.

http://www.whidbeynewstimes.com/news/213584831.html?mobile=true

And here is a link to the tracker.

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0peJuCrfr2oqehW0RAegJdeJsCaHryH5q

Six years in,

I had to go back and revisit the first post in this odyssey,

If we only knew then.....

3 hours ago, Latadjust said:

Six years in,

I had to go back and revisit the first post in this odyssey,

If we only knew then.....

Even back then it was obvious he was a grifter and hasn't changed...I mean an entertaining grifter

If he could have gotten one mile for every post he would have made it around the planet with some to spare.  If only....  electrons could push. 

• Like 1