buys737

Sailing around the world in a San Juan 24

11 hours ago, El Boracho said:

Sacre bleu! Fundraising is booming along. A dollar per month!

And, I did not know this, Jean says:

I give sailboats away free,  to worthy adventurers.  To qualify, you must currently have a sailboat and want to upgrade to a different boat.  You must have a history of sailing long distances to be worthy or the desire to do so, accompanied by some history of sailing.  No dreamers please.  The boats I give away need work.  Some less, some more.  You need to decide what will work for you.  Some are small (25 feet) and some are large (55 feet).

I totally qualify! Can easily check all those boxes! I’ve been thinking of upgrading my SC50 to an SC70. Becuz my age is now closer, in feet, to the 70.

...and I’ll take your “need less work” option, please.

El B, that's a great idea. And since my age is closer to your SC50 than my SC27, maybe you can just hand that one off to me, gratis, when you get your upgrade. Thanks, Rimas, this would never have happened if you had not led the way!

• Like 1

On 12/12/2018 at 7:02 PM, bigrpowr said:

what's he gonna do when he has to pay taxes on that windfall !!

his usual thousand yard stare while waiting for someone else to pay them

11 hours ago, couchsurfer said:

please send $, so I can give away a salvage boat that someone's paid me to dispose of, so I don't have to lift a finger.       :mellow:

Thats not really how Jean operates. The boat thing is not a hobby. He is not paid to dispose of boats.

19 hours ago, couchsurfer said:

please send $, so I can give away a salvage boat that someone's paid me to dispose of, so I don't have to lift a finger.       :mellow:

I have no doubt that he sees $$ in this rimas thing.

8 hours ago, We are Rimas! said:

Thats not really how Jean operates. The boat thing is not a hobby. He is not paid to dispose of boats.

How would you know his motive, unless your Jean

Rimas is back. Thank you very much to the government of Vietnam and all those there who helped him.

Image may contain: 2 people, people standing and indoor

20 minutes ago, qwerty57 said:

Looks like SFO to me, but I could be wrong, as all airports look pretty much alike.

I see a women in a VN over skirt in the background, which is why I think the photo is not in the US that and the possibly oriental flashing a tease with a  passport ....patience grasshoppers....we'll know when he is back

11 hours ago, SailBlueH2O said:

I see a women in a VN over skirt in the background, which is why I think the photo is not in the US that and the possibly oriental flashing a tease with a  passport ....patience grasshoppers....we'll know when he is back

not the USA judging from the background.

Jean posted on Rimas' FB page that he was bringing him home a few days ago.

Nothing from Rimas as yet, but Jean is planning to set him adrift again. It's a very peculiar strain of Polynavicular Morbus that has gripped Jean.

I just hope someone bolts a subscribed Delorme to the victim boat.

• Like 1

Any truth to the rumour that Putin has appointed Rimas to the White House as Deputy Chief of Staff?

• Like 4

12 hours ago, olaf hart said:

Any truth to the rumour that Putin has appointed Rimas to the White House as Deputy Chief of Staff?

I thought he was going to replace Nikki Haley at the UN. He has huge geography.

• Like 2

On 12/22/2018 at 7:44 PM, dogballs Tom said:

Jean posted on Rimas' FB page that he was bringing him home a few days ago.

Nothing from Rimas as yet, but Jean is planning to set him adrift again. It's a very peculiar strain of Polynavicular Morbus that has gripped Jean.

I just hope someone bolts a subscribed Delorme to the victim boat.

victim boat..yep. Almost as if Jean had a secret desire to destroy sail boats and Rimas was his tool to placate his subconscious obsession.

14 hours ago, bfloyd4445 said:

victim boat..yep. Almost as if Jean had a secret desire to destroy sail boats and Rimas was his tool to placate his subconscious obsession.

By thinking about this, you're overthinking it. Just enjoy the show.

WheresRimas.jpg

• Like 1

Get to work Rimas!!!

Well, actually “Get grifting and drifting Rimas!!!”

And from Jean's GoFundMe page:

Updates   2
Update 2
Posted by Jean Mondeau
5 days ago

Rimas is back. He arrived in Hawaii today. 12-19-18. It was a lot of work. But he is home. After some training and medical issue fixes he will get one more sailing adventure, with the proper training, and documents and stuff he needs to finally do it on his own. So his trip is dependent on what you give him here.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Great White said:

Updates   2
Update 2
Posted by Jean Mondeau
5 days ago

Rimas is back. He arrived in Hawaii today. 12-19-18. It was a lot of work. But he is home. After some training and medical issue fixes he will get one more sailing adventure, with the proper training, and documents and stuff he needs to finally do it on his own. So his trip is dependent on what you give him here.

Hah! Training would address a few issues that I noted a little while back on page 2.

On 11/5/2013 at 4:22 PM, dogballs Tom said:

I think raising money for a second rescue makes more sense than raising money for rigging. There seem to me to be some gaps in his preparation and no amount of charm or enthusiasm will fill them. Put on new rigging and most of the gaps will still be there.

I don't want to stop him, but if I want to give some money to promote sailing I'll stick to my local Community Sailing Center, thanks.

Filling those gaps in his preparation would make him just another boring world cruiser and he'd need someone with good tits and a Patreon account to make it work these days.

So Jean is trying to ruin our fun by training him. Luckily, I'm pretty sure it's futile. You can't really make him want to learn to sail and he's proven that knowing how to sail isn't really necessary for a record-breaking world voyager.

9 hours ago, Great White said:

Updates   2
Update 2
Posted by Jean Mondeau
5 days ago

Poor Rimas risks life and limb for Jean's pleasure and now worn out, Jean pushes him on.  Russian roulette can only have one ending.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bfloyd4445 said:

Poor Rimas risks life and limb for Jean's pleasure and now worn out, Jean pushes him on.  Russian roulette can only have one ending.

I don't think that's fair at all.

I think that if someone asked Rimas whether he'd like to stay in Vietnam or drift around eating buttery smashed taters again, he'd jump at the chance for another drift. Someone asked.

We should all have a friend as good as Jean. I do, but mine is named Gene. Like Jean, he'd go out of his way to get me out of a difficult spot and back where I want to be.

Well if an adult with a mental illness wanted to do the same thing, would you help him? 

It’s the same situation here. He has no real money and no ability to care for himself. He was in dire straits when the fishermen found him.

And to say that he can care for himself is an overstatement. It’s more like he can somehow not fall overboard and drown while subsisting on inadequate provisions that lack any nutritional value.

Jeane’s an asshole and just trying to kill him.

Regarding Jean’s “proper training” comment, it’s been pointed out here many times that Rimas has no inclination whatsoever to learn. It may be mental illness, but it really doesn’t matter. If Jean really wants Rimas to have proper training, he will do the training and set benchmarks for progress first, before giving Rimas a boat.   If he gets the boat first, Rimas will find a way to drift off, even it is chained to the dock, ignoring/forgetting any “training” Jean provides. 

He should stay on Hawaii. It's drifting at around 7cm/year, not much slower than his usual speed.

As for providing training and another boat; madness. Rimas has all the aptitude of a retarded invertebrate. If Jean joined the Samaritans he'd probably end up advising callers on the best way to top themselves.

• Like 1

Google Assistant forwarded this to me.  Somehow got the idea that I'd be interested in nutjobs drifting around the world's oceans. Score one for Google.

12 hours ago, Teener said:

The French are funny.

Along the way, Savin will be dropping markers for the JCOMMOPS international marine observatory to help its oceanographers study the currents.

And he himself will be the subject of a study on the effects of solitude in close confinement.

Even the wine onboard will be studied: He is carrying a Bordeaux to be compared afterwards with one kept on land to determine the effects of months spent tossed on the waves.

Savin has a budget of 60,000 euros ($68,000) for his expedition, covered in part by barrelmakers and a crowdfunding campaign.

We should tell them we've already been studying the first two for years with subject Rimas.

Why do they care what happens to wine that is tossed? If they find it's improved, will wine cellars be outfitted with rocking shelves?

That's a way more impressive budget than Rimas'. I guess barrel makers are hard up for promotional ideas. Not sure why the other enablers want to do this with their money.

21 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

Well if an adult with a mental illness wanted to do the same thing, would you help him? 

It’s the same situation here. He has no real money and no ability to care for himself. He was in dire straits when the fishermen found him.

And to say that he can care for himself is an overstatement. It’s more like he can somehow not fall overboard and drown while subsisting on inadequate provisions that lack any nutritional value.

Only by talking about him on the internet, which I suppose helps Jean's crowdfunding campaign.

As I said back on page 2 of this thread years ago, I would (and do) help my local community sailing center instead.

Jean's a friend trying to help. I wouldn't and don't think he should either, but sometimes good intentions go awry and (any other fans of Being There here?) I like to watch.

Also, gotta keep an eye out for my buttery ashes.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Teener said:

Google Assistant forwarded this to me.  Somehow got the idea that I'd be interested in nutjobs drifting around the world's oceans. Score one for Google.

I am guessing he will need to be towed into a port when he arrives.

Rimas was on his way to impress and see his ex gf last trip, you can't stop amore...:wub:

Rowing addiction is not far down the list from the boat dream. This 60yr old lady tried to row the Atlantic, bitten by the bug. Why would you want to row a piggy like that. [Part of my reading up on rowing pigs in the ocean]

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-45983250/rowing-solo-across-the-atlantic-aged-60

8 hours ago, Godzilla said:

I am guessing he will need to be towed into a port when he arrives.

Didn't Jean state he will receive training before he embarks on his next drift- a-thon?

Each voyage seems to end with him a little closer to death than the previous drift. This last time he was apparently in pretty sad shape when rescued.....Hey, was a real rescue. I have gotten so used to his inventive skills at securing a free tow that failed to realize the last voyage really was a break from tradition and in dire need of rescue. 

On 12/26/2018 at 6:11 AM, Sail4beer said:

That's what I said 5 years ago.

I think back in Japan(?) lo those many years ago, Rimas must have slighted Jean in some way and Jean has been trying ever since to kill Rimas without ending up in jail.

1 minute ago, Somebody Else said:

I think back in Japan(?) lo those many years ago, Rimas must have slighted Jean in some way and Jean has been trying ever since to kill Rimas without ending up in jail.

If they had an incident like you suggest don't you think Rimas would be a bit less trusting of Jean than what he appears to be? Are you suggesting maybe he is one of those that gets off  leading those easily led into harms way?

Rimas is looking for a paradise getaway yacht and has the IQ of a doorstop. Jean is lucky I don’t live there, I’d try to get a court injunction to keep Rimas from taking up valuable tax dollars in multiple time zones to keep his dream alive. 

1 hour ago, Sail4beer said:

Rimas is looking for a paradise getaway yacht and has the IQ of a doorstop. Jean is lucky I don’t live there, I’d try to get a court injunction to keep Rimas from taking up valuable tax dollars in multiple time zones to keep his dream alive. 

It's cheap entertainment and there's only one wasted life at risk. At least at sea Rimas is not in danger of being beaten up by the other folks under the bridge. He probably feels safe out there.

8 hours ago, bfloyd4445 said:

Didn't Jean state he will receive training before he embarks on his next drift- a-thon?

Each voyage seems to end with him a little closer to death than the previous drift. This last time he was apparently in pretty sad shape when rescued.....Hey, was a real rescue. I have gotten so used to his inventive skills at securing a free tow that failed to realize the last voyage really was a break from tradition and in dire need of rescue. 

Yeah......... I was referring to the barrel drifter.

10 minutes ago, axolotl said:

It's official!

rimas.thumb.jpg.2e560650613a9a5722b908af54e0eed7.jpg

Rimas looks like a puppet with Jean's hand up his butt.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ishmael said:
15 minutes ago, axolotl said:

It's official!

rimas.thumb.jpg.2e560650613a9a5722b908af54e0eed7.jpg

Jean lookes licke Steave Martine.                                                :)

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

It's the only way to teach him sailing close hauled....:D

• Like 1

Happy New Year. Sailing alone around the world. Just returned from Vietnam one week ago. I was Kauai, Hawaii and have just returned to San Francisco to visit a friend. Looking forward to sailing around the world in the future once I get another boat.

• Like 1

I wonder if the French gentleman has drawn inspiration from our intrepid drifter? They're about the same age. Could this be a coming fad for the older set?

who gives him a boat this time? 

59 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

who gives him a boat this time? 

That has never been a problem...he actually looks in great shape..... 

1 minute ago, SailBlueH2O said:

That has never been a problem...he actually looks in great shape..... 

Well, except for the teeth thing.  Rimas needs about 12-15 thousand dollars of reconstructive work, probably full dentures, to not be a meulling ghost of his former self.  Even a diet of buttery potatoes is not sustainable if you've got no teeth, the only option is soups and the like.

He's in really bad shape based on the pictures and should work on gaining 20-30 pounds prior to his nex RTW voyage.

He looks marvelous and I don't say that to everyone...

14 minutes ago, axolotl said:

Well, except for the teeth thing.  Rimas needs about 12-15 thousand dollars of reconstructive work, probably full dentures, to not be a meulling ghost of his former self.  Even a diet of buttery potatoes is not sustainable if you've got no teeth, the only option is soups and the like.

He's in really bad shape based on the pictures and should work on gaining 20-30 pounds prior to his nex RTW voyage.

https://www.goodsamdental.org/dentures/

less than a grand for all he needs

3 hours ago, axolotl said:

He needs cataract surgery too. Which should not be a problem if he signed up for Medicare when he was eligible at 65. One of his friends told me that his vision is poor.

Wel, well, well, the cockroach returns to America.  Perhaps he can drift somewhere that he can panhandle for his teeth and eye repairs.  Ain't life something?

18 hours ago, axolotl said:

No need for teeth to enjoy buttery mashed potatoes!

In San Francisco now, after spending 11 months in Vietnam. Thanks Jean Mondeau for the warm welcome home. I miss the ocean and can't wait to get back out on the water with another boat. HappyYear.

Posted with a pic of Rimas on a boat that appears to carry abundant propane.

The comments are a bit like the first couple of pages if this thread, with lots of people egging on his world voyaging.

Then there's this one:

Slava Zagreychuk What's up with your old boat?

I doubt anyone will answer. Furnish, maybe.

So do I show Slava the pic?

MimsyWrecked.jpg

21 minutes ago, Volkeno said:

Redistributing old boats to China since 2017!

If Rimyth sets of again...I'm in for a GoFundMe....solar powered...tamper/idiot proof black box that transmits location and allows for twice daily brief message......this is mandatory...if Rimyth wants to use do whatever else fine

8 minutes ago, Teener said:

Won't be needing sails.

a stubby free standing spar with a feathering 4' x 8' sheet of plywood

6 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:
17 minutes ago, Teener said:

Won't be needing sails.

a stubby free standing spar with a feathering 4' x 8' sheet of plywood

And the feathering disabled by him wrapping bungies around it.

So he can hang a dead fish there.

FB- Doug

• Like 1

On 12/27/2018 at 5:29 PM, Somebody Else said:

Jeans playing the long game here.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2017 at 10:01 PM, RKoch said:

12,000 lbs on a 22' waterline, plus a modest rig and a full keel. Concrete ballast.

I've mentioned earlier I went on a daysail on one, many years ago. College girl that crewed for me bought one for a live aboard. She was very proud of her first boat, and invited several of us out. Fairly light air (8-10), not the best showcase for the boat, but it was very sedate. As in barely moved. It would have tacked in about 120 degrees plus, but tacking was difficult as the boat came to a stop before it got head to wind most of the time. Build quality was pretty poor, but hull was massively thick. They're a tank...a very slow tank.

Free RKoch....it seems he lost his login information ,forgot PW etc....he says he tried to establish a new account with I guess a new screen name etc and contacted Scot but is somehow banned,in his words....his account under this screen name appears to be active but he does not have the PW to access it...Admin needs to allow him to create a new PW...I have contacted via the contact link on the homepage...perhaps others can too

Rod Koch What happened... I lost my log-in password, and the email I registered with no longer active so I couldn't get a new password. I created a new ID to message Scot for help retrieving old ID, and was banned. Can't access with old ID or the new one.

• Like 1

Koch is part of the SA reporting team for the EC we need him back. He was hard on King Ineptune, maybe that wore thin...

22894139_874992445992989_3703778167852916803_n.jpg

• Like 1

LOL....the NW Passage.......from his FB page

Sailing alone around the world, crossing from San Francisco to Vietnam as well as from Okinawa, Japan to Vietnam. This story will continue if I can get another boat and I will sail the Northwest Passage. Please donate to my GoFundMe care of Jean Mondeau: https://www.gofundme.com/2nrzne5k

RiNW.jpg

23 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Sailing alone around the world, crossing from San Francisco to Vietnam as well as from Okinawa, Japan to Vietnam. This story will continue if I can get another boat and I will sail the Northwest Passage. Please donate to my GoFundMe care of Jean Mondeau: https://www.gofundme.com/2nrzne5k

RiNW.jpg

This should result in another massive inrush of donations. Maybe beat the record for the last 24 months of zero.

1 hour ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Who wrote this?  Correct grammar and syntax does not sound like Rimas.  Did he study English in Vietnam?

1 hour ago, SailBlueH2O said:

RiNW.jpg

11 minutes ago, CruiserJim said:

Who wrote this?  Correct grammar and syntax does not sound like Rimas.  Did he study English in Vietnam?

No, it does not sound like Rimas except for the bluster about future exploits. I don't think he was anywhere near Okinawa, but without a tracker we will probably never know. And the NW Passage? Really? I know of a fully found well financed boat that was turned around this year because of ice conditions. But if he can make it through the NW Passage than he becomes the East coast's problem.

I think he was a few hundred miles from Okinawa, or at least that was the object of his drift before the storm blew him south after he left Saipan.

For him to leisurely drift the NW Passage would take years and I somehow doubt he would make it through one winter. Even if his boat wasn't crushed by ice, I doubt he would have the forethought or space to carry enough of his heating fuel of choice. If he tried it I would demand a tracking device and no means of calling for rescue. No need for any rescue workers to be put in peril, but I still want to follow along on his deathwish.

If he wants to recreate the voyage of the Octavius, he actually seems qualified.   A tracker might spoil the romance of the legend.     Can we rig a tracker to ping just once a month?   I agree all future voyaging must be at his own peril.   

Rimas liked some random Facebook post of mine! Weird!

So he's back sipping Starbucks and surfing the net, it would seem.
...and keeping an eye on my exploits, such as they are...

21 hours ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Free RKoch....it seems he lost his login information ,forgot PW etc....he says he tried to establish a new account with I guess a new screen name etc and contacted Scot but is somehow banned,in his words....his account under this screen name appears to be active but he does not have the PW to access it...Admin needs to allow him to create a new PW...I have contacted via the contact link on the homepage...perhaps others can too

Rod Koch What happened... I lost my log-in password, and the email I registered with no longer active so I couldn't get a new password. I created a new ID to message Scot for help retrieving old ID, and was banned. Can't access with old ID or the new one.

Pretty much had the same problem for years. Lost the id for Railmeat710 after 5 years in 2007 and was never able to get the admin to get back to me so I just lurked for 10 years while I learned how to get kicked out of a rock band, change baby diapers and watch the economy kill off great boat manufacturers. 

Come on Scotty, we need RK back!!!