buys737

Sailing around the world in a San Juan 24

6 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

No shortage of boats for Rimas after the storms, there must have been 80 wrecks and sinkings up here.

I thought he might like this Charlton Heston inspired boat model called the Benn Hurre

Image result for gladiator charlton heston

juste a quicke edditte........             :)

12 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

juste a quicke edditte........             :)

Or in Rimas's case, Ben There.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

No shortage of boats for Rimas after the storms, there must have been 80 wrecks and sinkings up here.

I thought he might like this Charlton Heston inspired boat model called the Gladiator....https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/boa/d/tacoma-gladiator/6790042632.html

Image result for gladiator charlton heston

This boat is the flush deck version of the Lapworth 24 that Robin Graham sailed most of the way around the world. This ad looks like the boat a friends family owned and we used to sail in the early 70's.

I agree a working long shaft Honda 9.9 is a valuble asset, how many outboards has Rimas lost overboard?

10 hours ago, Great White said:

This boat is the flush deck version of the Lapworth 24 that Robin Graham sailed most of the way around the world. This ad looks like the boat a friends family owned and we used to sail in the early 70's.

11 hours ago, steele said:

I agree a working long shaft Honda 9.9 is a valuble asset, how many outboards has Rimas lost overboard?

All of them.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, steele said:

Every damn one.

8 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

All of them.

Remas don't need no stinkin motors, he has the ocean currents prevailing winds and last but not least when out of buttery taters a mayday call!......

The lawn dart boat in Alaska still had the outboard attached to the boat, but since the boat was lost, the outboard was also lost.

But even if he managed  not lose the motor, he would run it out of gas or kill it like he killed the diesel inboard on Mimsy.

He would be better off if he had a small boat and set up sweeps that he could lose.

When I was still in his FB group I suggested he pull Mimsey's motor out and use that space for storage and he replied that it was sealed (caulked) and never to be thought of again.

I would have at least pulled the useless prop to reduce the drag.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Volkeno said:

When I was still in his FB group I suggested he pull Mimsey's motor out and use that space for storage and he replied that it was sealed (caulked) and never to be thought of again.

The only other record breaking ocean voyager who seals up his engines is that Kiwi Spirit guy. So I guess that answers, "What if Rimas had money?"

If Rimas had money he wouldn’t have run out of buttery mashed potatoes and had to abandon ship 

If Rimas had money he'd be an oligarch. He could get his teeth fixed, get his eyes fixed, put on some weight, and hit Monaco with some hot Russian girls.

7 hours ago, Ishmael said:

If Rimas had money he'd be an oligarch. He could get his teeth fixed, get his eyes fixed, put on some weight, and hit Monaco with some hot Russian girls.

He was a Russian oligarch ...the hot Russian girls took everything and he is too proud and traumatized 

to speak about that part of his life

Rimas has done more ocean miles than Kiwi Spirit.

Just saying.

• Like 1

King Ineptune needs a new social media image for his Northwest Passage. I propose Rimas the Impaler...:(

ewcFHHh.png

Impalings-of-Vlad-the-Impaler.jpg

1zbcfh.jpg

impale.jpg

l-27451-vlad-the-impaler-discovers-marshmallows.jpg

2d13fd521430a19f0b1f8a0508d9e94e--vlad-the-impaler-weird-stories.jpg

47fe0f1b813c1ec8ed2fd33b9d58d1e3--russell-crowe-vladimir-putin.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

King Ineptune needs a new social media image for his Northwest Passage. I propose Rimas the Impaler...:(

ewcFHHh.png

Impalings-of-Vlad-the-Impaler.jpg

1zbcfh.jpg

impale.jpg

l-27451-vlad-the-impaler-discovers-marshmallows.jpg

2d13fd521430a19f0b1f8a0508d9e94e--vlad-the-impaler-weird-stories.jpg

47fe0f1b813c1ec8ed2fd33b9d58d1e3--russell-crowe-vladimir-putin.jpg

He most definitely has  demonstrated unparalleled proficiency at keel darting beaches with sail boats

On 1/22/2019 at 8:35 PM, Volkeno said:

The lawn dart boat in Alaska still had the outboard attached to the boat, but since the boat was lost, the outboard was also lost.

But even if he managed  not lose the motor, he would run it out of gas or kill it like he killed the diesel inboard on Mimsy.

He would be better off if he had a small boat and set up sweeps that he could lose.

Compared to the hull itself, prop drag would be negligible.

On 1/22/2019 at 4:35 PM, Volkeno said:

Rimas needs drag. Latching onto ocean currents is likely his most effective propulsion method.

9 hours ago, aloha27 said:

Compared to the hull itself, prop drag would be negligible.

.Its a jungle down there

On 12/27/2018 at 6:36 PM, Rasputin22 said:

A boatbuilder buddy of mine got hired to build a barrel for some nutcase who went over Niagara  Falls. I think this was the one.

niagara falls daredevils steven trotter

You’d want some very good legal advice and disclaimers on that one!! 

• Like 1

On 12/30/2018 at 4:26 PM, SailBlueH2O said:

a stubby free standing spar with a feathering 4' x 8' sheet of plywood

Does Tom still have his plywood experiment going? 

5 hours ago, mad said:

You’d want some very good legal advice and disclaimers on that one!! 

Wow! I'd like to see the wine bottle that cork came outa

5 hours ago, mad said:

Does Tom still have his plywood experiment going? 

I recall him finally putting the experiment to the trash as it had become more than organic.

It was a great experiment with much learned. The geckos, lizards and the vine will miss the entertainment more than we will.

On 1/26/2019 at 5:31 PM, Sail4beer said:

I recall him finally putting the experiment to the trash as it had become more than organic.

It was a great experiment with much learned. The geckos, lizards and the vine will miss the entertainment more than we will.

Vestiges of the experiment remain, actually, but were whacked by a falling branch in a recent storm.

The purpose was to determine whether Flyin' Hawaiian would rot to pieces or rack itself to pieces first and the question has long since been answered.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Contumacious Tom said:

The purpose was to determine whether Flyin' Hawaiian would rot to pieces or rack itself to pieces first and the question has long since been answered.

Thanks, Tom, for your important and valuable contribution to science.  It is that sort of objective evidence and real-world experimentation that keeps us going.  

I would like to forward this ground breaking research to the Nobel committee for their consideration. 

And the comedy is just... well..... priceless.  Thanks, Tom.  

1 hour ago, bugger said:

Thanks, Tom, for your important and valuable contribution to science.  It is that sort of objective evidence and real-world experimentation that keeps us going.  

I would like to forward this ground breaking research to the Nobel committee for their consideration. 

And the comedy is just... well..... priceless.  Thanks, Tom.  

What happened to Flyin' Hawaiin in the end exactly? 

I remember it didn't end well but the circumstances are foggy

2 minutes ago, Icedtea said:

A lot of details weren't provided, but we know it started to break up (they tried to use chains to hold it together) and it did eventually break up and presumably lost.  There would have been some wooden flotsam but nothing else of the boat survived.   I think the break-up happened within a day (or a few days at most) of leaving harbor.  Apparently the boat was also incapable of actually sailing and just sort of blew sideways.  Crew was rescued by the Coast Guard.  

Someone requested the Coast Guard report but had no success..... which is odd. 

Anyone else?  (And no, I don't want to go back and re-read the whole thread - as entertaining as it was.)

8 minutes ago, Icedtea said:

Went to sea with a very strange crew (a pregnant transsexual was one, I think) and fell apart. There is footage of the Coast Guard rescuing people from the wreckage with a helicopter, but they deny doing it. The mystery of Lil Murray was never solved.

I corresponded briefly with the mother of the pregnant tranny. Every living thing survived; everything else: abandoned. I presume it broke up into little tiny pieces. Mom reported that the baby was delivered shortly afterward (on dry land) and that the baby and tranny mom are doing fine.

And Hotrod did get to Hawaii and settled onto the big island. Got his deuce coupe shipped over and completed the custom work and produced a fine looking rod. Last I heard (6+ months ago?) he was thinking about moving back to the mainland but so far he's still near Hilo, near as I can tell. hotrods_hotrod.thumb.jpg.fcd729bc289d310e2ac2d293754d669e.jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bugger said:

Someone requested the Coast Guard report but had no success..... which is odd. 

It was more than a little odd. We saw Coast Guard video but requests for info were met with "nothing like that ever happened" or some such.

A good drifter for sure!

btw, note the chain shroud extentions. Is that normal in US?

rimas.jpg

We don’t have boats like that in the US. 

That looks like it gets used after hockey season.

“Rimas! Get away from the sea casket!”

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, M26 said:

A good drifter for sure!

btw, note the chain shroud extentions. Is that normal in US of A?

Chains might help manage the shrouds with a tabernacle mast?

For Rimas a tabernacle mast might eliminate the need for a ladder to set the sails? Lash them on, raise the mast, get towed out....

That boat looks to need a lot of stripping of gear to make it suitable. Control lines, vang, MOB, electrical system, tiller, etc...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, M26 said:

A good drifter for sure!

rimas.jpg

That's the Shannons boat.

Dressed for excess...the natty adventurer sports a Reidcoat and tie.

Watch that nasty cleat behind you Rimas.:ph34r:

6 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

Dressed for excess...the natty adventurer sports a Reidcoat and tie.

somebody should suggest Rimas to make some art, following the example of the Void-Ho drifter/grifter, next sell it off to his FB admirers and other gullible idiots, would be a nice spectacle ... go the Rimas !

12 minutes ago, Albatros said:

somebody should suggest Rimas to make some art, following the example of the Void-Ho drifter/grifter, next sell it off 

Ok, we can credit the Weed Stowe with a circumnavigation and creation of "art", but actually selling it seems to have eluded him.  

http://www.reidstoweart.com/paintings.html

While perhaps the website hasn't been updated, since it hasn't changed in many, many years it might also suggest that selling such "art" is not easy.  

I am a bit worried that mixing Rimas and Stowe threads is a bit like Ghost Busters crossing the streams......

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 6:27 AM, M26 said:

A good drifter for sure!

rimas.jpg

Is this photoshopped or real photo? Is this his next ride? Any more info???

He is dressed like a Russian Sub Commander from Hunt for Red October.

On 2/1/2019 at 10:18 AM, bugger said:

Ok, we can credit the Weed Stowe with a circumnavigation and creation of "art", but actually selling it seems to have eluded him.  

http://www.reidstoweart.com/paintings.html

While perhaps the website hasn't been updated, since it hasn't changed in many, many years it might also suggest that selling such "art" is not easy.  

I am a bit worried that mixing Rimas and Stowe threads is a bit like Ghost Busters crossing the streams......

You are giving Weed too much credit for the 'art painted while circumnavigating' schtick. Ernst Aebi was entered into one of the RTW (BOC 86) races back in the mid 80's and he had bought a fairly competitive French aluminum singlehander for the effort. He was a Soho artist of sorts with a studio I believe and enough of a following to at least procure the boat. I was on my way to Plymouth England with a racing friend on the small trimaran that he had designed and built for the OSTAR but not it time for that race. We were in a rush of sorts to get to the start of the TwoSTAR but had to put into the Azores for repairs. We were assigned a slip along the breakwater right across from the famous Peter's Sport Cafe, a real crossroads in the long distance sailing world.  Just ahead of our boat was Ernst's 60 aluminum 'flat top' which was pretty impressive compared to our wood/epoxy 'plain vanilla' modest trimaran. We were on the quay hand planing some local lumber we had bought to reinforce the sheer clamp which had delaminated in a rather alarming 'rouge wave' incident a couple of days earlier. We had a hand drill and a quart WEST epoxy kit and had our repairs well under way when Ernst strolled over and nodded approvingly at our progress and made an odd comment to the effect 'I'm so jealous or your boat...'

You could have built 3 or 4 of our 'econo racer' for what he had paid for his state of the art aluminum monster, even used! He elaborated saying that he had been in port for a week unable to find anyone who could TIG weld his headstay tang properly and it was threatening his completing the East to West crossing to NYC which would be his qualification sail to enter the BOC. I never saw his lift a finger to do anything else on his boat while waiting for a TIG welder to be flown in but he thought we were so resourceful and 'lucky' to have such an easy to repair boat. He sort of acted like visiting royalty in the Sport Cafe in the evenings but the locals seemed to be on to him so he often sat with us bragging about his grand RTW adventure that was pending. He was pretty well know in New York art circles and his major sponsorship effort had been to do a series of showings and talks about his 'grand voyage' during which he would do a series of paintings while competing in the RTW. His spiel must have been pretty effective because he had managed to presell a good number of his works. Then he went on to complain that the actual act of doing watercolors under way during his relatively short passage from the Med to the Azores had been much more challenging than he expected. He was amazed that fine art watercolor paper lost its crisp texture and feel in the damp salt air of the Atlantic and his watercolor paints would bleed and drip under such conditions. He seemed to have given up the painting as actually sailing the boat singlehanded was getting in the way of his artistic inspirations!

We were back underway for Plymouth after a couple nights in the harbor and I didn't give much more thought to Ernst Aebi until hearing of his daughter Tania's round the world much later. Her Dad had never made the start of the BOC and had given her a hard time for her lifestyle so she decided to do what he was unable, to make the sail around the marble. Maiden Voyage is the account of that trip and I'm sure she had way more balls that her Dad ever did.

From a review

Challenged by her German-Swiss father, an 18-year-old New York City bicycle messenger in 1988 became the first American woman, and the youngest person, to sail alone around the world. In this jaunty account of her journey, she veers between the perils of solo sailing, her relationships with her separated parents and the death of her mysterious mother.

Image may contain: 1 person, outdoor and water

Dear old Dad

Image result for ernst aebi

On 2/1/2019 at 4:27 AM, M26 said:

No. Using chains on standing rigging is not normal.

1 hour ago, Somebody Else said:

No. Using chains on standing rigging is not normal except on Brent Swain boats.

FTFY.

5 hours ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

Is this photoshopped or real photo? Is this his next ride? Any more info???

He is dressed like a Russian Sub Commander from Hunt for Red October.

Allegedly that's Shannon's boat, but Rimas was standing in front of several boats in Oak Harbor including another SJ24.

4 hours ago, Volkeno said:

Allegedly that's Shannon's boat, but Rimas was standing in front of several boats in Oak Harbor including another SJ24.

It is Shannons boat at Oak Harbor. I have been up close to it and talked with Shannon about it. Its a one off.

On 2/2/2019 at 2:02 AM, Albatros said:

somebody should suggest Rimas to make some art, following the example of the Void-Ho drifter/grifter, next sell it off to his FB admirers and other gullible idiots, would be a nice spectacle ... go the Rimas !

Interesting!

Art of the half blind drifter.

Nah. It involves a degree of "work" so that won't happen.

Carry on

11 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

You are giving Weed too much credit for the 'art painted while circumnavigating' schtick. Ernst Aebi was entered into one of the RTW (BOC 86) races back in the mid 80's and he had bought a fairly competitive French aluminum singlehander for the effort. He was a Soho artist of sorts with a studio I believe and enough of a following to at least procure the boat. I was on my way to Plymouth England with a racing friend on the small trimaran that he had designed and built for the OSTAR but not it time for that race. We were in a rush of sorts to get to the start of the TwoSTAR but had to put into the Azores for repairs. We were assigned a slip along the breakwater right across from the famous Peter's Sport Cafe, a real crossroads in the long distance sailing world.  Just ahead of our boat was Ernst's 60 aluminum 'flat top' which was pretty impressive compared to our wood/epoxy 'plain vanilla' modest trimaran. We were on the quay hand planing some local lumber we had bought to reinforce the sheer clamp which had delaminated in a rather alarming 'rouge wave' incident a couple of days earlier. We had a hand drill and a quart WEST epoxy kit and had our repairs well under way when Ernst strolled over and nodded approvingly at our progress and made an odd comment to the effect 'I'm so jealous or your boat...'

You could have built 3 or 4 of our 'econo racer' for what he had paid for his state of the art aluminum monster, even used! He elaborated saying that he had been in port for a week unable to find anyone who could TIG weld his headstay tang properly and it was threatening his completing the East to West crossing to NYC which would be his qualification sail to enter the BOC. I never saw his lift a finger to do anything else on his boat while waiting for a TIG welder to be flown in but he thought we were so resourceful and 'lucky' to have such an easy to repair boat. He sort of acted like visiting royalty in the Sport Cafe in the evenings but the locals seemed to be on to him so he often sat with us bragging about his grand RTW adventure that was pending. He was pretty well know in New York art circles and his major sponsorship effort had been to do a series of showings and talks about his 'grand voyage' during which he would do a series of paintings while competing in the RTW. His spiel must have been pretty effective because he had managed to presell a good number of his works. Then he went on to complain that the actual act of doing watercolors under way during his relatively short passage from the Med to the Azores had been much more challenging than he expected. He was amazed that fine art watercolor paper lost its crisp texture and feel in the damp salt air of the Atlantic and his watercolor paints would bleed and drip under such conditions. He seemed to have given up the painting as actually sailing the boat singlehanded was getting in the way of his artistic inspirations!

We were back underway for Plymouth after a couple nights in the harbor and I didn't give much more thought to Ernst Aebi until hearing of his daughter Tania's round the world much later. Her Dad had never made the start of the BOC and had given her a hard time for her lifestyle so she decided to do what he was unable, to make the sail around the marble. Maiden Voyage is the account of that trip and I'm sure she had way more balls that her Dad ever did.

From a review

Challenged by her German-Swiss father, an 18-year-old New York City bicycle messenger in 1988 became the first American woman, and the youngest person, to sail alone around the world. In this jaunty account of her journey, she veers between the perils of solo sailing, her relationships with her separated parents and the death of her mysterious mother.

Image may contain: 1 person, outdoor and water

Dear old Dad

Image result for ernst aebi

Seriously Rasputin, time for you to put these stories together and sell an anthology, before you start forgetting them!

• Like 2

Thanks Dragon, I've been tempted to do so. My Dad was a Navy officer and the long overseas deployments on ships were really tough on me as a kid. The only thing that got me through those were the 'Seastories' that he loved to share with me upon his return. I guess that rubbed off on me and my telling these stories here is my way of remembering those times with him. 

Tanis's books are good reads, too bad her relationship with her Dad was so odd.

I enjoyed her book too, but had no idea about the back story on her dad, makes for interesting insight, thanks!

It seems (to me at least) that after flopping with his BOC entry Ernst had mud on his face in his circle in New York. Not sure whose idea it was for Tania to RTW but it would have made her the youngest girl to do so. Ernst really latched onto that distinction and I think he was trying to fulfill his RTW failed fantasy vicariously through Tania. When you consider she did the trip on a Contessa 26 makes it even more noteworthy. She was in no rush and did a lot of growing up along the way and took time to smell the roses (and sample the young men!) and her Dad was pressuring her to quit such pursuits and get the circle done before her birthday or she (more like he) would lose the claim as youngest. That further strained their relationship. Years later, the even stranger father/daughter RTW debacle of Abby Sunderland makes you wonder about such endeavors.

Image result for Abby Sunderland

Yeah, right! At least Abby's brother made it around...

Abby Sunderland reunited with brother Zac weeks after solo sail around the world ends

From his FB page just now

Next week I start surgery on my eyes. After eyes fixed I continue great voyage around the world. I look forward to many more years adventure on the sea.

4 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Next week I start surgery on my eyes. After eyes fixed I continue great voyage around the world. I look forward to many more years adventure on the sea.

That is quite the collection of photographs of photographs and olive oil.

1 hour ago, SailBlueH2O said:

I hope he's not going to do the surgery himself. He'll never get all the parts back in.

• Like 1

Food in general.

Rimas is vegetarian and ecstatic about the quality of produce around here!
Not much different than he was getting in Vietnam except that there were no avocados in Vietnam..

When Rimas sees better, will he be able to sail upwind, dock and anchor? I don't think I'd still follow him if he could

50 minutes ago, sail(plane) said:

When Rimas sees better, will he be able to sail upwind, dock and anchor? I don't think I'd still follow him if he could

He has sailed upwind, he just usually doesn't wish to do so. Docking and anchoring? Let's hope there's video.

But a poet must see to type so I hope the surgery goes well.

Rimas is a vegetarian? Explains why he only kills his fish and hangs them from the rigging. Eats the fungus that grows on them? 

• Like 1

On 2/7/2019 at 12:53 AM, dylan winter said:

this one has a very good script - well read

the boat they bought had a safe on it

currently earning $141 per movie

From a thread in CA.

Take a look at the name that pops up at 13:32.

2 hours ago, HypnoToad said:

Rimas is a vegetarian? Explains why he only kills his fish and hangs them from the rigging. Eats the fungus that grows on them? 

or uses them for fertilizer for his veggie garden

1 hour ago, M26 said:

Good luck with the surgery Admiral!

rimasss.jpg

Suppose he will be able to wear his hat during surgery?

1 hour ago, Great White said:

Suppose he will be able to wear his hat during surgery?

All his drama aside...I really hope it is nothing more than a simple cataract surgery ...in that case he'll be amazed and maybe actually scared when he can see the sea....then all he needs is $500 and a RT bus ticket to Tijuana and he'll have a new set of chompers 

21 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

All his drama aside...I really hope it is nothing more than a simple cataract surgery ...in that case he'll be amazed and maybe actually scared when he can see the sea....then all he needs is $500 and a RT bus ticket to Tijuana and he'll have a new set of chompers 

Me too. I was told by one of his friends who visited Rimas in Hilo, that Rimas could not recognize him untill he was just a few feet away. They only work on one eye at a time for cataracts?

1 minute ago, Great White said:

Me too. I was told by one of his friends who visited Rimas in Hilo, that Rimas could not recognize him untill he was just a few feet away. They only work on one eye at a time for cataracts?

They did mine a month apart.

Just now, Great White said:

I am trying to remember, as that used to be the case in the old days or if you were a high risk. I only remember one trip ,15 years ago @ age 55. It was a remarkable difference as the degradation is so slow you don't notice it happening...it was a very very dramatic difference and I had only noticed issues at night 

I knew I was due for surgery when one particular night I looked up at a crescent moon and saw three of 'em.

From the time I was wheeled in to getting wheeled out of the procedure was sixteen minutes.

20/20 was the result.

• Like 1

I can’t wait to get surgery for my eyes. My right one has an astigmatism and I can’t see shit clearly even with glasses-not to mention cloudy from age at 52. Dr. says wait 10 more years. 

I guess I’ll just drift around bumping into things. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sail4beer said:

I can’t wait to get surgery for my eyes. My right one has an astigmatism and I can’t see shit clearly even with glasses-not to mention cloudy from age at 52. Dr. says wait 10 more years. 

I guess I’ll just drift around bumping into things. 

The big advantage to astigmatism - you get to see several Polarii from which to pick when navigating north at night.  Stephen Astigmatism Stills "When you see the Southern Cross for the first - and second! - time..."   And fireworks look so spectacular - you barely need the hallucinogenics to enjoy them anymore.  I first noticed my astigmata when every star I looked at was a binary system... "You mean those two stars up there?"  Um, No.  "The Three Body Problem" really resonated with me, and for a while I was a true Trisolaran.   I think I am up to quaternary by now at least... maybe my navigation will improve if I follow RImas' lead...

• Like 2

On 2/8/2019 at 1:09 PM, Ishmael said:

They did mine a month apart.

They can do them a couple of days apart. Doctor's call. Or even at the same time. The object of separating the surgeries is to have at least one semi-functioning eye while the first one heals from the surgery.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:

They can do them a couple of days apart. Doctor's call. Or even at the same time. The object of separating the surgeries is to have at least one semi-functioning eye while the first one heals from the surgery.

It is a leftover practice from scalpel and early cataract surgery days...in case there was some issue at least one eye was still safe...in most cases with normal healthy eyes both are done in the same visit..healing is fast as the incision is very small and the old lens is sucked out,I think, and the new slipped in...rest and home no lifting or bending over and drops a few times a day..quick recovery 

https://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/faq-cataract-surgery-both-eyes.htm

you can also have two different lens,one for distance the other for reading and not need glasses...some depth perception issues however...or both lens the same focal length and needing to where glasses to compensate or reading or distance...I went with both lens the same as I did not want depth perception issues for work or play

• Like 1

I heard a long time ago when I was a kid that when you enlisted in the Roman Army they gave you an eye test in which you had to look up in the night sky and count the number of stars in the constellation Orion's belt. When I heard that story I ran out the next night and found that by seeing 7 stars I would have passed the warriors test with flying colors. Not sure I could even find his belt these days...

I can't believe how quickly I found this article with a quick Google search.

https://www.itstactical.com/skillcom/navigation/take-natures-eye-test-and-see-if-you-have-the-eyesight-of-a-warrior/

Orion Taurus Pleiades

• Like 1

I know three cataract stories. My Mom had both done in her 70s with distance prescription and at 94 is still going strong, albeit lost one eye to an internal bleeding episode much later (still 20/20 in the good eye for distance, needs specs for reading). A friend decided to have both done around age 60, but one close and one far prescription, and had no problems adjusting and can now see distance and read just fine, an amazing solution. But Webb Chiles lost vision in one eye due to a failed cataract surgery, I believe when he was around 70 years old. Hope it goes well for Rimas.

Everything goes well for Rimas.

Even if that would be a catastrophe for the rest of us.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

I heard a long time ago when I was a kid that when you enlisted in the Roman Army they gave you an eye test in which you had to look up in the night sky and count the number of stars in the constellation Orion's belt. When I heard that story I ran out the next night and found that by seeing 7 stars I would have passed the warriors test with flying colors. Not sure I could even find his belt these days...

https://www.itstactical.com/skillcom/navigation/take-natures-eye-test-and-see-if-you-have-the-eyesight-of-a-warrior/

Orion Taurus Pleiades

I was tempted to name #1 son Orion...but didn't want to saddle him with such an unusual name....same with Esmeralda for a girl...Oh well..thanks for posting the image...I used to know every one of those constellations and stars..

On 2/7/2019 at 1:52 PM, Pipe Dream said:

From a thread in CA.

Take a look at the name that pops up at 13:32.

Good eye!  Not surprised with that junker.  

On 2/10/2019 at 4:18 PM, Rasputin22 said:

Orion Taurus Pleiades

Yeah, but if you think the Pleiades are in Orion's Belt, you fail the drug test...

Orion's sword has a pretty cool nebula though.

I've heard somewhere that small children can see a lot of these things extraordinarily well.  (Well, those that don't live near cities.) But it's difficult to get them to tell you what they see without coaching.  For example, they can supposedly see the Galilean moons, which most of us need at least binoculars to make out.  (I think i see Ganymede sometimes on good nights.)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, toddster said:

Yeah, but if you think the Pleiades are in Orion's Belt, you fail the drug test...

Orion's sword has a pretty cool nebula though.

I've heard somewhere that small children can see a lot of these things extraordinarily well.  (Well, those that don't live near cities.) But it's difficult to get them to tell you what they see without coaching.  For example, they can supposedly see the Galilean moons, which most of us need at least binoculars to make out.  (I think i see Ganymede sometimes on good nights.)

Did I say anything about the Pleiades? You fail the reading comprehension test.

19 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

Did I say anything about the Pleiades? You fail the reading comprehension test.

You did say something about seeing seven stars in a constellation as being an ancient eye test. I have always heard this in reference to the Pleiades asterism, also known as the Seven Sisters, or Subaru. It is not in the constellation Orion.

BTW, the article you linked to correctly states the location of these seven stars that were used as a warrior's eye test.

27 minutes ago, Varan said:

Meanwhile, back in Rimas land, the fans are seeing stars.

In Rimas land, the erstwhile hero is seeing not much. When does he get new eyeballs?