buys737

Sailing around the world in a San Juan 24

Recommended Posts

38 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:

I visited with him on Whidbey Island last night. Rimas_2686_steph_rimas_scott_1500px.thumb.jpg.87c1a77e67420ef9d6b995e7f9c23cba.jpg

and that's all you give us? weak!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought I posted several paragraphs with pictures last night but when I checked in this morning, they were gone! So either the post was taken down or I forgot to hit "Save" (it was late and I was tired/)

The short story is that Rimas is smarter than I originally thought. He has bad cataracts in both eyes and this makes both navigation and piloting difficult. His teeth are pretty messed up too and that embarrasses him so he keeps his lips closed pretty much all the time, especially for photos. But he has a quite sophisticated command of English and a good memory of all of his voyage.

His escape from being shipwrecked in Fiji was actually pretty straightforward; he saw where he was headed and knew there was a high chance of wrecking his boat, especially with his terrible eyesight, so he put the boat on the other board and just barely eked around the northeastern tip of Vanua Levu to avoid being swept into Natewa Bay and almost certain shipwreck. That put him into the open Pacific and the South Equatorial Current, carried northwest past the Solomons. He eventually crossed the equator over to the North Equatorial Current and eventually into the Kuroshio Current. His destination was Japan but Kon Tiki style carried him toward landfall on mainland China where he was shadowed by Chinese Navy. He credits his American Flag with keeping him from being boarded or imprisoned by the Chinese. He exhibits quite a bit of political savvy and has a good understanding how the methods of governance effects the temperament of the population and the safety of visitors. His flag was in tatters but it was enough. He told me how he would take a spare flag kept safely belowdecks for use when needed.

Right at Fiji, RImas started having on-going trouble with corrosion on everything electrical, specifically charging systems for radios, phones, trackers, GPS, etc. He is motivated to educate himself about marine electronics. He has a very modest working knowledge about electronics and can kludge together solutions. For example, he is too blind to read his GPS screen so he takes a photo of it with his iPad and blows it up on the big screen and can read what he needs to.

His ordeal with the Vietnamese fishermen was not pleasant nor optimal nor even all that safe, as it turns out. The fishermen fed him but there was no verbal communication possible. He thought, since they were so close to shore, that they would just tow him in and be on their way but since it was the beginning of their fishing voyage, they would not forfeit the time to drop him off on land and instead kept him on board until their fish hold was full. They cut Mimsey adrift almost immediately as Rimas slept, utterly exhausted, on the fishing boat. His passport was either still aboard Mimsey or stolen by the fishermen. He did not have anything complimentary to say about the fishermen which he described as crude and brutish, obsessed with getting a good catch and a good payday and little else. He tried to be as pleasant as possible because he feared for his life with the fishermen; his perception was that if he was inconvenient for them, they'd just toss him overboard. No witnesses. 

We already know much about his stay in Vietnam. He was in a clean but spartan private room but it was like house arrest. He described Vietnam as the most beautiful country in Asia but he was frustrated because he was not allowed to explore because of his nationless status as an illegal immigrant. He gave astute concise descriptions of the islands he has visited, both the physical beauty and political/cultural situations. I think he would be an interesting person to travel with. He was very pleased with the fresh quality produce in Vietnam and the great French baking and how inexpensive really good food cost.

Next for Rimas: Shannon is helping him navigate SS and Medicare and Rimas will probably get cataract surgery in a week or two. Shannon will not help Rimas go to sea (for all the reasons we know so well) but, understanding RImas' determination to do so, helps with things that support safety (a GPS, cataract surgery, etc.)

Rimas_2684_chart_china_1505px.thumb.jpg.485541da3b62234c94ea3cd8207b5195.jpg

Here is Minsey about 100 nm east of mainland China, before he was picked up by the Vietnamese fishermen.

 

Rimas_2680_vietnam_vegitarian_food_1505px.thumb.jpg.25430e45ba32810debc3f677d3ea7c76.jpg

Here is his typical Vietnamese meal which he described as very fresh, of high quality, and very affordable.

 

Rimas_2681_vietnam_hotel_1505px.thumb.jpg.a634d6523d6147e930008fd5db893d10.jpg

His room.

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you think he was in dire straits when the fishermen picked him up or do you think he was just expecting another tow?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Somehow, I believe the fishermen’s story (with supporting photographs) a little more.  Not that I’ve met any of the principal parties. Just long experience with (and relatedness to) tall tale spinners who are a few cards short of a deck.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Trickypig said:

Do you think he was in dire straits when the fishermen picked him up or do you think he was just expecting another tow?

I believe he was hungry, thirsty and exhausted. I believe that his boat had extremely limited maneuverability (broken tiller).

After talking to Rimas one-on-one for a while, his poor vision is a large consideration in his request to be towed into harbor. He is very worried about causing damage to OPBs.

Talking with Rimas was much easier than listening to Jennifer Appel or Reid Stowe blather. Much more believable. Much more pure.

He may be a terrible sailor, but he is a kind and thoughtful person. He takes pleasure in the simple things. He enjoys the solitude.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

Next for Rimas: Shannon is helping him navigate SS and Medicare and Rimas will probably get cataract surgery in a week or two. Shannon will not help Rimas go to sea (for all the reasons we know so well) but, understanding RImas' determination to do so, helps with things that support safety (a GPS, cataract surgery, etc.)

He'll be safer if we know where he is. Won't he?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

I thought I posted several paragraphs with pictures last night but when I checked in this morning, they were gone! So either the post was taken down or I forgot to hit "Save" (it was late and I was tired/)

The short story is that Rimas is smarter than I originally thought. He has bad cataracts in both eyes and this makes both navigation and piloting difficult. His teeth are pretty messed up too and that embarrasses him so he keeps his lips closed pretty much all the time, especially for photos. But he has a quite sophisticated command of English and a good memory of all of his voyage.

His escape from being shipwrecked in Fiji was actually pretty straightforward; he saw where he was headed and knew there was a high chance of wrecking his boat, especially with his terrible eyesight, so he put the boat on the other board and just barely eked around the northeastern tip of Vanua Levu to avoid being swept into Natewa Bay and almost certain shipwreck. That put him into the open Pacific and the South Equatorial Current, carried northwest past the Solomons. He eventually crossed the equator over to the North Equatorial Current and eventually into the Kuroshio Current. His destination was Japan but Kon Tiki style carried him toward landfall on mainland China where he was shadowed by Chinese Navy. He credits his American Flag with keeping him from being boarded or imprisoned by the Chinese. He exhibits quite a bit of political savvy and has a good understanding how the methods of governance effects the temperament of the population and the safety of visitors. His flag was in tatters but it was enough. He told me how he would take a spare flag kept safely belowdecks for use when needed.

Right at Fiji, RImas started having on-going trouble with corrosion on everything electrical, specifically charging systems for radios, phones, trackers, GPS, etc. He is motivated to educate himself about marine electronics. He has a very modest working knowledge about electronics and can kludge together solutions. For example, he is too blind to read his GPS screen so he takes a photo of it with his iPad and blows it up on the big screen and can read what he needs to.

His ordeal with the Vietnamese fishermen was not pleasant nor optimal nor even all that safe, as it turns out. The fishermen fed him but there was no verbal communication possible. He thought, since they were so close to shore, that they would just tow him in and be on their way but since it was the beginning of their fishing voyage, they would not forfeit the time to drop him off on land and instead kept him on board until their fish hold was full. They cut Mimsey adrift almost immediately as Rimas slept, utterly exhausted, on the fishing boat. His passport was either still aboard Mimsey or stolen by the fishermen. He did not have anything complimentary to say about the fishermen which he described as crude and brutish, obsessed with getting a good catch and a good payday and little else. He tried to be as pleasant as possible because he feared for his life with the fishermen; his perception was that if he was inconvenient for them, they'd just toss him overboard. No witnesses. 

We already know much about his stay in Vietnam. He was in a clean but spartan private room but it was like house arrest. He described Vietnam as the most beautiful country in Asia but he was frustrated because he was not allowed to explore because of his nationless status as an illegal immigrant. He gave astute concise descriptions of the islands he has visited, both the physical beauty and political/cultural situations. I think he would be an interesting person to travel with. He was very pleased with the fresh quality produce in Vietnam and the great French baking and how inexpensive really good food cost.

Next for Rimas: Shannon is helping him navigate SS and Medicare and Rimas will probably get cataract surgery in a week or two. Shannon will not help Rimas go to sea (for all the reasons we know so well) but, understanding RImas' determination to do so, helps with things that support safety (a GPS, cataract surgery, etc.)

Rimas_2684_chart_china_1505px.thumb.jpg.485541da3b62234c94ea3cd8207b5195.jpg

Here is Minsey about 100 nm east of mainland China, before he was picked up by the Vietnamese fishermen.

 

Rimas_2680_vietnam_vegitarian_food_1505px.thumb.jpg.25430e45ba32810debc3f677d3ea7c76.jpg

Here is his typical Vietnamese meal which he described as very fresh, of high quality, and very affordable.

 

Rimas_2681_vietnam_hotel_1505px.thumb.jpg.a634d6523d6147e930008fd5db893d10.jpg

His room.

 

Excellent report...thanks...Happy he is going to get cataract surgery ,hopefully there will be no complications having waited so long. If there are no complications his world will dramatically change. I had the procedure at age 55 as a result of living in subtropical latitudes all my life and being on the water so much.   The degradation in vision is so slow one really does not notice as it  happens, but the results postoperative are spectacular ! Glad he is open to learning ....getting dentures would greatly improve the quality of life and his health as he'll be more likely and able to eat nutrition of substance   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for the very informative update. In particular his account of his escape from the Texas reef and round  Vanua Levu makes you realise that perhaps this is not just someone drifting aimlessly but someone capable of navigating round obstacles by some fairly good chartwork, seamanship and sailing skills. 

Getting his eyes fixed is obviously essential. Getting his teeth fixed is not essential. You can manage fine without teeth especially on buttery smashed  taters. 

I for one was thinking that he should not be helped to set off again in a new boat, that the enablers should be disabled somehow.  . Now I am thinking that perhaps he knows what he is doing and while it is not something that 99.9% would choose to do should he be stopped or helped.  

So it looks distinctly possible that the unbelievable saga will soon start a new chapter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

The short story is that Rimas is smarter than I originally thought. 

Thanks for the extensive report.  The eyesight issue explains a lot, but not everything. 

Much of what you describe takes a lot more intelligence than the relatively simple aspects of sailing (like sheeting a jib to leeward, or protecting an anchor rode from chafe).   Yet he can apparently do it to some extent when absolutely necessary, such as bailing out of the Fiji trap and his brief tacking to weather trying to enter Samoa a few years ago. A few basic skills would keep him out of situations such as the Vietnamese fishermen.

Strange dude.  I hope the cataract surgery is successful.  If so, and someone gives him a boat, I guess we will then see what happens. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are not capable of safely entering a harbor and docking a boat you have no business ever leaving one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, d'ranger said:

If you are not capable of safely entering a harbor and docking a boat you have no business ever leaving one.

which is why this saga is so captivating.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TQA said:

....In particular his account of his escape from the Texas reef and round  Vanua Levu makes you realise that perhaps this is not just someone drifting aimlessly but someone capable of navigating round obstacles by some fairly good chartwork, seamanship and sailing skills. 

“Escape” ? In a pleasant tropical tradewind?

”seamanship” no identifiable knots used anywhere on his boats, no maintenance skills evident, the loss of 2 boats

”sailing skills “ sails rigged upside down an inability to lay an island from upwind by not allowing for leeway. A consistent record of rescue tows expected by him, including poor Vietnamese fishermen who he shows no gratitude to. 

If he sticks to tradewind drifting he may continue to survive but he is exhibits little or no seamanship and has obliged many to help him and sometimes rescue him.

Where’s R Koch when you need him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, d'ranger said:
5 hours ago, TQA said:

So it looks distinctly possible that the unbelievable saga will soon start a new chapter.

 

5 hours ago, CruiserJim said:

Strange dude.  I hope the cataract surgery is successful.  If so, and someone gives him a boat, I guess we will then see what happens. 

It looks like it's going to happen. Jean may already have a boat for him in San Francisco. Rimas is gathering up gear.

 

2 hours ago, d'ranger said:

If you are not capable of safely entering a harbor and docking a boat you have no business ever leaving one.

Sure. Yes. I agree.

However...
If Rimas waited until everything was perfect, he would never leave. He's doing it and he's determined. Plus: hey! Entertainment!

I've come to think of Rimas as sort of a Zen Mr. Magoo. He's a lot more mindful than appears at first glance. He is observant AF and very lucid about the connection local politics have with the culture and attitudes of the people. He described a lot of islands he has visited with succinct descriptions of the geography, flora, politics, and culture.

It's a little difficult to talk with him because his accent is fairly pronounced and he sometimes searches for the correct word or substitutes phrases in search of what he is trying to say. For a lot of listeners, it's just too much effort to wade through the communication process. I've dealt with that enough to have the patience and listen for the clues. For example, when he mentions the Northwest Passage, I'm pretty sure that he is trying to describe getting to Japan via a course to the northwest (i.e. a great circle route) from west coast USA. He can navigate enough to know that it is the shortest route but he can't see the arrows on pilot charts to see that the winds and currents will prevent him from going that direction. He really needs to hook a hard right past Hawaii and ride the Pacific North Equatorial Current all the way to the the Kuroshio Current which will take him to Japan, which is where he wants to go, near as I can tell. Hopefully I'll talk to him again and try to help with his routing.

I found him to be a pleasant, bright, and aware person and a witty conversationalist. Definitely a seasoned world traveler. Bad sailor, though...

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Trickypig said:

“Escape” ? In a pleasant tropical tradewind?

With his broken tiller, he was having trouble controlling the direction of his boat. His last pings before his SPOT or whatever he was using lost the ability to upload to the satellite, showed him headed straight into Natewa Bay. He had enough presence of mind to know that there was no way out of that trap and he summoned up all his resources to jibe and beam reach past the northeastern tip of the island. I think "escape" is the right word.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:

With his broken tiller, he was having trouble controlling the direction of his boat. His last pings before his SPOT or whatever he was using lost the ability to upload to the satellite, showed him headed straight into Natewa Bay. He had enough presence of mind to know that there was no way out of that trap and he summoned up all his resources to jibe and beam reach past the northeastern tip of the island. I think "escape" is the right word.

He has a consistent pattern of crisis as he gets close to land. It’s engages people’s help. I’m very dubious on the truth of his “broken tiller” from two things: lack of evidence and the timing of its failure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Texas reef chapter...actually approaching Mimsy was in a multi day blow, he called it a bad gale, however it was 20-30 on the starboard beam...he was lucky to have been able to tighten up and get over the top of the islands...his position  reporting stopped  just as he approached and I don't think we heard from him until Saipan

 

his last Lat /Long before he went silent

 

RiFi.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:

Thanks for the chart, SailBlueH2O.

I arrived late to this thread skipping over it for years, I showed up around America Somoa and was hooked on DR ing forecasts. I took a lot of Google Earth screenshots from his positions , it got very interesting as there was a contest for when and where of his landfall 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Trickypig said:

He has a consistent pattern of crisis as he gets close to land. It’s engages people’s help. I’m very dubious on the truth of his “broken tiller” from two things: lack of evidence and the timing of its failure. 

My impression is that the crises are constant on-going but that he doesn't sweat it until crashing is Imminent.

His description of the broken tiller was that nearing Fiji it started to fail. I'm guessing it was delaminating but that's just a guess. After Fiji it continued to fail gradually [consistent with delam, complete with Rimas-style prophylactic lashings] until it was completely gone by the time he was in the China Sea. 

The trip from Monterey to Hawaii was pretty weird. As unprepared as he always is, that trip takes the cake! Remember that the trip started with a frayed anchor rode in Richardson Bay. He had a dead minimum of provisions aboard. I asked him about fresh water and if he collect rain water. His reply was that he usually left with 100 gallons of water and replenished with rain water only occasionally. On the Monterey-Hilo drift he had a small fraction of that amount.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:

My impression is that the crises are constant on-going but that he doesn't sweat it until crashing is Imminent.

His description of the broken tiller was that nearing Fiji it started to fail. I'm guessing it was delaminating but that's just a guess. After Fiji it continued to fail gradually [consistent with delam, complete with Rimas-style prophylactic lashings] until it was completely gone by the time he was in the China Sea. 

The trip from Monterey to Hawaii was pretty weird. As unprepared as he always is, that trip takes the cake! Remember that the trip started with a frayed anchor rode in Richardson Bay. He had a dead minimum of provisions aboard. I asked him about fresh water and if he collect rain water. His reply was that he usually left with 100 gallons of water and replenished with rain water only occasionally. On the Monterey-Hilo drift he had a small fraction of that amount.

 

But from Fiji, He next showed up near Saipan a few months later. Again called for help and finally towed in. That stop was even documented with a TV interview. After a couple months in Saipan, he left suddenly and next surfaced in Vietnam with the fishermen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Great White said:

But from Fiji, He next showed up near Saipan a few months later. Again called for help and finally towed in. That stop was even documented with a TV interview. After a couple months in Saipan, he left suddenly and next surfaced in Vietnam with the fishermen.

OK yeah. I remember that now. We didn't talk about that part of the trip because it has already been documented. I focused my questions on the escape from Fiji and and the approaches to China and finally Vietnam.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I follow him on FB , although I cannot post. He just posted a new batch of photos. He seems to in full on search mode for his next boat and has a good support group housing , feeding and clothing him. I really hope he gets his cataracts taken care of simply for quality of life 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Somebody Else said:

The trip from Monterey to Hawaii was pretty weird. As unprepared as he always is, that trip takes the cake! Remember that the trip started with a frayed anchor rode in Richardson Bay. He had a dead minimum of provisions aboard. I asked him about fresh water and if he collect rain water. His reply was that he usually left with 100 gallons of water and replenished with rain water only occasionally. On the Monterey-Hilo drift he had a small fraction of that amount.

People seem to have forgotten about his initial voyagesa.  The first attempt from AK to Japan we don't really know too much about other than the lawndarting and subsequent CG rescue.

On the next one from Port Townsend to Cape Horn HI there is video showing him powering through the Deception Pass area.  He quickly lost the outboard.  Then 3 of 4 shrouds parted company from Pier Pressure somewhere off the California coast, which forced his detour to HI.

On the way back from HI, there was his "test" deployment of the liferaft - which he managed to drag behind the stern for a short period of time before it too parted company with Pier Pressure.  The subsequent call from the enablers to the CG to rescue him when he sent out some message about being "in great danger" because he lost is life raft IIRC  You'd have to go way back in the thread to confirm that one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

... For example, when he mentions the Northwest Passage, I'm pretty sure that he is trying to describe getting to Japan via a course to the northwest (i.e. a great circle route) from west coast USA. He can navigate enough to know that it is the shortest route but he can't see the arrows on pilot charts to see that the winds and currents will prevent him from going that direction. He really needs to hook a hard right past Hawaii and ride the Pacific North Equatorial Current all the way to the the Kuroshio Current which will take him to Japan, which is where he wants to go, near as I can tell. Hopefully I'll talk to him again and try to help with his routing.

I'm going to correct myself here.
After I posted that, I pulled up some charts and I see that there is a narrow weak current that flows northwest, then west, then west by southwest past Alaska and the Aleutians. The further west, the weaker and more variable in direction it becomes until it peters out altogether a thousand miles or so east of Kamchatka. There's a couple of cold-water currents that could take him as far as the north island of Japan but it looks like it would be painful to drift across the no-man's land west of the Aleutians to hook up with the Anadyr Current flowing out of the Bering Strait. I think it's easier for him to take a right past Hawaii and go west until he can turn north with the Kuroshio Current as he approaches the Philippines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, 12 metre said:

People seem to have forgotten about his initial voyagesa.  The first attempt from AK to Japan we don't really know too much about other than the lawndarting and subsequent CG rescue.

See, I think that's his "northwest passage" to Japan. Japan still seems to play heavily in his plans. It's gotta be a [rich] woman...

 

On the next one from Port Townsend to Cape Horn HI there is video showing him powering through the Deception Pass area.  He quickly lost the outboard.  Then 3 of 4 shrouds parted company from Pier Pressure somewhere off the California coast, which forced his detour to HI.

On Wednesday's visit I learned that he does NOT want to land in Mexico. He's scared to death of Mexico and he's scared to death of sharks. He's got a Jennifer-level fear of sharks.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

28 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:

On Wednesday's visit I learned that he does NOT want to land in Mexico. He's scared to death of Mexico and he's scared to death of sharks. He's got a Jennifer-level fear of sharks.

That's reasonable, I have a shark-level fear of Jennifer.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve spent 8 months cruising tonga fiji etc. in the winter when the tradewinds blow light or fresh or very fresh; 30 knots being very fresh. It’s not called the ‘Pacific ‘ for nothing. It’s benign  compared to other oceans 

Whilst Rimas constantly talks of the high latitudes, he has no business sailing there.

if 20-30 knots of tradewinds necessitates a lucky escape he ain’t capable of anything  else than tradewind drifting ably assisted by state paid for towing services. 

I don’t care how humble or likable he is.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

Trickypig, I do not disagree with any of that.

As a sailor, he is the most incompetent I've ever read about.

 

Did you happen to discuss the application of caulk with him?

(I should probably admit that some of my efforts are not all that much better, though they use less caulk and I can see.)

12 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

His description of the broken tiller was that nearing Fiji it started to fail. I'm guessing it was delaminating but that's just a guess. After Fiji it continued to fail gradually [consistent with delam, complete with Rimas-style prophylactic lashings] until it was completely gone by the time he was in the China Sea. 

Do we tell him about duct tape?

22 hours ago, SailBlueH2O said:

getting dentures would greatly improve the quality of life and his health as he'll be more likely and able to eat nutrition of substance   

Don't mess up my buttery ashes!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Trickypig said:

I’ve spent 8 months cruising tonga fiji etc. in the winter when the tradewinds blow light or fresh or very fresh; 30 knots being very fresh. It’s not called the ‘Pacific ‘ for nothing. It’s benign  compared to other oceans 

Whilst Rimas constantly talks of the high latitudes, he has no business sailing there.

if 20-30 knots of tradewinds necessitates a lucky escape he ain’t capable of anything  else than tradewind drifting ably assisted by state paid for towing services. 

I don’t care how humble or likable he is.

 

Bwahahaha...that fact that he did not die in any of his previous ventures is all the qualification he needs to set off again~~~

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

Trickypig, I do not disagree with any of that.

As a sailor, he is the most incompetent I've ever read about.

 

Yeah TQA got under my skin when he said of Rimas...

“someone capable of navigating round obstacles by some fairly good chartwork, seamanship and sailing skills.”

Curiously he has become competent in a survivalist way. Spending 4 months drifting along catching his own water and living off preserved and dried foods is a poor existence

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2019 at 1:54 PM, SailBlueH2O said:

The Texas reef chapter...actually approaching Mimsy was in a multi day blow, he called it a bad gale, however it was 20-30 on the starboard beam...he was lucky to have been able to tighten up and get over the top of the islands...his position  reporting stopped  just as he approached and I don't think we heard from him until Saipan

 

his last Lat /Long before he went silent

 

RiFi.jpg

Humm.....dosen't that mean he had to sail against the wind?....From position he was last rescued at I  came to the conclusion those last few positions were false  and his actual course was much further north

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, bfloyd4445 said:

Humm.....dosen't that mean he had to sail against the wind?....From position he was last rescued at I  came to the conclusion those last few positions were false  and his actual course was much further north

Pretty sure the Lat/Long of the pin is from the photo's he took of his GPS screen ,I wrote them down and entered in Google Earth..he would have reached to that spot with the winds at the time ,but would have had to hardened up to clear the northern most island

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IIRC, the inward track (source?) had him perilously threading through reefs as well. I still put it down to local currents. 

 

How did I get drawn into this thread again?  Somebody send up a flare when he’s actually adrift again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, bfloyd4445 said:

Humm.....dosen't that mean he had to sail against the wind?.

It's not completely unprecedented. He did it briefly prior to his tow into Samoa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can we put this guy in a Pacific Proa and see what they can really do? I’ve heard a lot about them in other threads.

Maybe he can learn to shunt or something..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2019 at 5:57 PM, Ishmael said:

 

That's reasonable, I have a shark-level fear of Jennifer.

Speaking of Jennifer, what she up to these days, is anybody tracking her?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, hobot said:

Speaking of Jennifer, what she up to these days, is anybody tracking her?

You’d have to ask Clean

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hobot said:

Speaking of Jennifer, what she up to these days, is anybody tracking her?

 

1 hour ago, SailBlueH2O said:

You’d have to ask Clean

Wait wait wait wait wait!!

Talking even 30 seconds to either of those two constitutes cruel and inhumane torture in my book.
Two wrongs do not make a right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:

 

Wait wait wait wait wait!!

Talking even 30 seconds to either of those two constitutes cruel and inhumane torture in my book.
Two wrongs do not make a right.

But three lefts do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, hobot said:

Cankles.

Run!  Run as fuckeng faste as you cane!                                                 :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Somebody,

 

must disagree with your assessment of Our Hero;  

I bought him a cheap lunch in SF back in 2013 (or maybe it was 2014), my impression was he was batshit crazy like a stereotypic homeless person. Very weak grasp on basic reality.

He gave me the America-has-been-berry-berry-good-to-me -land-of-the-free narrative, but it appeared to me that Our Hero was just parroting talking points that he thought would score him some donations.  

This was back when Our Hero was planning to round Cape Horn and plant a huge US flag on South Georgia Island. And of course he tried to get me to take him on a shopping trip to the nearby West.

He did extoll on his sailing ability. He went on how safe he sailed, waking up every 15 minutes each night and poking his head out of the cabin to check for passing ships (he mimed this with bug-out eyes). 

His English was 'just off the boat' entertaining but near fluent. His Japanese was laughable. Unlikely he really did ever work as a professional translator. His Russian was rusty, but seemed native.  

He is ethnically baltic (Lett or Lith I can't recall), he and his family were sent to some Eastern Hell Hole during the war by Uncle Joe likely because they were sympathetic to the Master Race. 

My conclusion was he was a crazy homeless guy who had stumbled upon a unique grift

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 10:11 AM, TQA said:

Thank you for the very informative update. In particular his account of his escape from the Texas reef and round  Vanua Levu makes you realise that perhaps this is not just someone drifting aimlessly but someone capable of navigating round obstacles by some fairly good chartwork, seamanship and sailing skills

Getting his eyes fixed is obviously essential. Getting his teeth fixed is not essential. You can manage fine without teeth especially on buttery smashed  taters. 

I for one was thinking that he should not be helped to set off again in a new boat, that the enablers should be disabled somehow.  . Now I am thinking that perhaps he knows what he is doing and while it is not something that 99.9% would choose to do should he be stopped or helped.  

So it looks distinctly possible that the unbelievable saga will soon start a new chapter.

Are we getting a little carried away here? Seems like you've just heard about the second coming!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

Are we getting a little carried away here? Seems like you've just heard about the second coming!

NO not carried away at all. After all it is about the fourth coming.................................................of Rimas, master mariner, intrepid  adventurer and buttery smashed potato lover. 

As I said before the robot interviewed him I thought it right that he be prevented from leaving again on a small boat now I am not so sure.

After all " Land of the free " "Home of the brave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, 6924 said:

my impression was he was batshit crazy like a stereotypic homeless person. Very weak grasp on basic reality.

That was my impression before I talked to him.

I have spent a lot of time around ESL people and, in their effort to understand and use idioms or even simply use some more complex or more precise words, they frequently get it all wrong. What I've learned to do is dig into odd or outrageous statements and get them to clarify what they are trying to express. But when Rimas was talking about the physical and cultural differences of different islands, he was quite clear and easy to understand. He still uses simple sentences but he is communicating some fairly rich concepts.

 

16 hours ago, 6924 said:

He gave me the America-has-been-berry-berry-good-to-me -land-of-the-free narrative, but it appeared to me that Our Hero was just parroting talking points that he thought would score him some donations.

I didn't get any of that from him.

Mostly, I pressed Rimas about details of escaping Fiji and about the tow from the Vietnamese fishermen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

That was my impression before I talked to him.

I have spent a lot of time around ESL people and, in their effort to understand and use idioms or even simply use some more complex or more precise words, they frequently get it all wrong. What I've learned to do is dig into odd or outrageous statements and get them to clarify what they are trying to express. But when Rimas was talking about the physical and cultural differences of different islands, he was quite clear and easy to understand. He still uses simple sentences but he is communicating some fairly rich concepts.

 

I didn't get any of that from him.

Mostly, I pressed Rimas about details of escaping Fiji and about the tow from the Vietnamese fishermen.

I think there is a basic misunderstanding of how Rimas cleared that reef with many posters

It is as simple as the fact that trade winds south of the equator are SE to ESE  not NE. This makes his course to clear the reef a broad reach and at worst a beam reach. Why anyone would claim he had to sail upwind to clear that reef is beyond me... it would be a most unusual wind direction at that time of year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Trickypig said:

I think there is a basic misunderstanding of how Rimas cleared that reef with many posters

It is as simple as the fact that trade winds south of the equator are SE to ESE  not NE. This makes his course to clear the reef a broad reach and at worst a beam reach. Why anyone would claim he had to sail upwind to clear that reef is beyond me... it would be a most unusual wind direction at that time of year.

Because the winds at the time,according to ,https://www.ventusky.com/?p=23.10;-87.66;7&l=wind-10m, showed he had just experienced a multi day 20-30 knot blow that brought him to his last ping on a beam reach. This last ping contained the cryptic broken tiller reference and from the last ping with the winds at the time he would have had to work hard close hauled to get over the northern tip of Fiji. I was using a global wind site other than "Ventusky" at the time but lost most of my  bookmarks, if anyone has  similar ,www, post a link 
TIA

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

That was my impression before I talked to him.

I have spent a lot of time around ESL people and, in their effort to understand and use idioms or even simply use some more complex or more precise words, they frequently get it all wrong. What I've learned to do is dig into odd or outrageous statements and get them to clarify what they are trying to express. But when Rimas was talking about the physical and cultural differences of different islands, he was quite clear and easy to understand. He still uses simple sentences but he is communicating some fairly rich concepts.

 

I didn't get any of that from him.

Mostly, I pressed Rimas about details of escaping Fiji and about the tow from the Vietnamese fishermen.

Communicate further at your own peril...I sense a  vulnerable attraction to his Siren's Song.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Because the winds at the time,according to ,https://www.ventusky.com/?p=23.10;-87.66;7&l=wind-10m, showed he had just experienced a multi day 20-30 knot blow that brought him to his last ping on a beam reach. This last ping contained the cryptic broken tiller reference and from the last ping with the winds at the time he would have had to work hard close hauled to get over the northern tip of Fiji. I was using a global wind site other than "Ventusky" at the time but lost most of my  bookmarks, if anyone has  similar ,www, post a link 
TIA

When I looked at his last posted Delorme location [see the red arrow I think I got it right ] and factored in the recent strong SE winds I wondered how on earth did he get there? Did he make it over the Heemakarag reefs somehow?

I then thought well there is no way he is getting out of there.

Now we find that he correctly identified his location realised the danger and took the only course that stood him any chance of avoiding wrecking or at least running aground..

If he is unable to read a GPS without taking a picture and blowing it up then can he read a compass ? I very much doubt it. So my guess is he sails by feel.

So we have a sailor who is nearly blind hand steering for hours by feel.to make it round the Undu Peninsula. 

Is there anyone else that feels 'some' respect for him. 

 

 

RIMAS 3ab.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, TQA said:

When I looked at his last posted Delorme location [see the red arrow I think I got it right ] and factored in the recent strong SE winds I wondered how on earth did he get there? Did he make it over the Heemakarag reefs somehow?

I then thought well there is no way he is getting out of there.

Now we find that he correctly identified his location realised the danger and took the only course that stood him any chance of avoiding wrecking or at least running aground..

If he is unable to read a GPS without taking a picture and blowing it up then can he read a compass ? I very much doubt it. So my guess is he sails by feel.

So we have a sailor who is nearly blind hand steering for hours by feel.to make it round the Undu Peninsula. 

Is there anyone else that feels 'some' respect for him. 

 

 

RIMAS 3ab.jpg

https://writingexplained.org/idiom-dictionary/blind-luck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Texas reef escape remains bewildering. 

 

Even more so is Our Hero's track of the prior 2 days. He threaded the needle in a most incredible way. Check his track approaching the last ping. 

I believe he had some  navigation help via radio or ?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

King Ineptune sailed upwind on his first "Northwest Passage" to Atukan. I may have been the only one who believed he escaped the Texas Reef at the time. The other SA regulars were kind enough to consider that possible but no one else seemed that would happen to the hurricane taming world adventurer.

Will Rimas wait until spring to leave again?

Will he crew for Somebody Else in a SJ24 R2AK bid? Team Bungee?:P

Fair Winds, the Rimas...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Look at the scale of a Fijian chart to get a sense of the room he had. Now understand his tiller wasn’t broken. Then consider 20 - 30 knots. It’s a fresh tradewind breeze, some would call it ‘champagne ‘ sailing if there is no windward work. He had no windward work. Look at his last position draw a course north of the reef then draw a SE breeze line. 

This was not an emergency situation requiring skill.

We treated it as an emergency situation because it was Rimas and we know that his sails set upside down and wrong way round won’t go upwind well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Trickypig said:

 

Look at the scale of a Fijian chart to get a sense of the room he had. Now understand his tiller wasn’t broken. Then consider 20 - 30 knots. It’s a fresh tradewind breeze, some would call it ‘champagne ‘ sailing if there is no windward work. He had no windward work. Look at his last position draw a course north of the reef then draw a SE breeze line. 

This was not an emergency situation requiring skill.

We treated it as an emergency situation because it was Rimas and we know that his sails set upside down and wrong way round won’t go upwind well.

 

selfflop.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a vulture atop one of my cypress trees. It was early morning, too soon for any thermal lift, so it was going to be there a while.

This annoyed hell out of my dog, who hates anything that flies, from the tiniest insect to the largest jetliner. It wasn't flying but she knew it would.

Cracked me up so I put a pic on Facebook.

49771555_10215780343255574_6321393545550

And Rimas liked my vulture picture. 

Reminded me of how the whole buttery ashes thing started.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Communicate further at your own peril...I sense a  vulnerable attraction to his Siren's Song.... 

I probably will never talk to him again, but... never say never. I might be in contact about the eye surgery.

Me vulnerable? Not really. Interested in first-person narrative as opposed to conjecture and, anyway, I just wanted to get close to Captain Rimas because it's all just so weird!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

That was my impression before I talked to him.

I have spent a lot of time around ESL people and, in their effort to understand and use idioms or even simply use some more complex or more precise words, they frequently get it all wrong. What I've learned to do is dig into odd or outrageous statements and get them to clarify what they are trying to express. But when Rimas was talking about the physical and cultural differences of different islands, he was quite clear and easy to understand. He still uses simple sentences but he is communicating some fairly rich concepts.

  

I didn't get any of that from him.

Mostly, I pressed Rimas about details of escaping Fiji and about the tow from the Vietnamese fishermen.

 he may have been simply repeating something he had recently read .......Did you take the time to ask for more information to ascertain the depth of his knowledge?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, TQA said:

When I looked at his last posted Delorme location [see the red arrow I think I got it right ] and factored in the recent strong SE winds I wondered how on earth did he get there? Did he make it over the Heemakarag reefs somehow?

I then thought well there is no way he is getting out of there.

Now we find that he correctly identified his location realised the danger and took the only course that stood him any chance of avoiding wrecking or at least running aground..

If he is unable to read a GPS without taking a picture and blowing it up then can he read a compass ? I very much doubt it. So my guess is he sails by feel.

So we have a sailor who is nearly blind hand steering for hours by feel.to make it round the Undu Peninsula. 

Is there anyone else that feels 'some' respect for him. 

 

 

RIMAS 3ab.jpg

<How did he get to that position> That was what made me question the accuracy of his last few pings. There were others that posted comments questioning how he navigated the obstacle course   ending at Texas reef given his past documented sailing skills.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

I probably will never talk to him again, but... never say never. I might be in contact about the eye surgery.

Me vulnerable? Not really. Interested in first-person narrative as opposed to conjecture and, anyway, I just wanted to get close to Captain Rimas because it's all just so weird!

Thanks for the effort and the report on what he's really like.

Everyone who has met him in person seems to find him likable. More than I can say for myself.

I can't believe how many pages and years it has been, but I said on page 2 that I wouldn't help him set out because of a lack of preparedness. I still wouldn't. I'm not sure how many zero's would need to be added to my open ocean miles to equal his.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My policy is to "Like" everything Rimas does on FB. It's my way of training the algorithm that I'm interested in him.

Some days I LMAO when I wake up and discover he has returned the favor. This is a partial list, the whole one scrolled off the screen.

RimasLikes.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now