• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
buys737

Sailing around the world in a San Juan 24

22,412 posts in this topic

where the hell is he going now?

https://share.delorme.com/RimasMeleshyus

From his Facebook page:

Rimas Meleshyus

February 8

I tomorrow leave now for American Somoa. To all so grateful for help and friendship! So thankful! In morning I set sail for open sea 7:30!

He's going the wrong way!!

And worse, his last report shows he's 12 feet under water already! Get out of there Wedge!

Im guessing you didnt look at the spot tracker map.....cause hes going the wrong way. But it looks like he's going to die at this point anyhow.

From his Facebook page:

Rimas Meleshyus

February 8

I tomorrow leave now for American Somoa. To all so grateful for help and friendship! So thankful! In morning I set sail for open sea 7:30!

Rimas Meleshyus
Thu Feb 27 2014

10:32 AM

Let you know guys i lost it life raft i am in danger now
Speed: 3.1 mph
Heading: ENE
Elev: -12 ft
Lat: 28.177216

Lon: -144.718373

So did he lose the life raft? or the boat? I'm gettin worried

Im guessing you didnt look at the spot tracker map.....cause hes going the wrong way. But it looks like he's going to die at this point anyhow.

From his Facebook page:

Rimas Meleshyus

February 8

Actually, I did look at the tracker before I posted. And I have no explanation why it looks like he is going the wrong way. From his comments, things seem to be looking grim.

From his Facebook page:

Rimas Meleshyus

February 8

Actually, I did look at the tracker before I posted. And I have no explanation why it looks like he is going the wrong way. From his comments, things seem to be looking grim.

looks like hes headed back to the USA. He wont likely make it there from the weather and his comments...

Im not so sure about 60 knots of wind. I bet anything over 25 knots feels like 60 on that SJ.

Here is the surface wind for the area courtesy NOAA

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/poes/nepac/flash-sswd.html

http://www.sailnet.c...uts-sure-8.html the people on Facebook are calling the CG.

Seems to be moving along ok between 2.5 and 4 knots. Doesn't look like a boat out of command at this point.

Latest message...Fri Feb 28 2014

2:43 PM

Hello i am fine high seas the waves are high i love sailing
Speed: 2.5 mph
Heading: E
Elev: -6 ft
Lat: 28.206731
Lon: -144.289970

Fixed.

You posted at 8 pm my time zone add 8 to get to GMT, so 4 am Friday. Message came from at least 11 hours in the future?

This is not encouraging.

rimas-meleshyus.jpg

......looks like the safest place to put a SJ...but how th'-heck-?? :mellow:

That elevation number is a bit disconcerting - hope it's just a wave trough.

This is not encouraging.

rimas-meleshyus.jpg

He feel asleep at the wheel,....er, tiller.

This is not encouraging.

rimas-meleshyus.jpg

It's not his boat. However, that rudder looks a little compromised. I was impressed with the docking.

How the hell does he carry enough food and water for that long distance, when he's going that slow??

How the hell does he carry enough food and water for that long distance, when he's going that slow??

Rice, fish, and a Pur Survivor, I'd guess.

This is not encouraging.

rimas-meleshyus.jpg

It's not his boat. However, that rudder looks a little compromised. I was impressed with the docking.

That's his first boat. The one that made it to the Aleutians.

This is not encouraging.

rimas-meleshyus.jpg

That's his first boat. The one that made it to the Aleutians.

His fees for this trip may be low, but I wonder what the costs were to divert boats and airplanes over his vicinity when he wrote "Let you know guys i lost it life raft i am in danger now".

You posted at 8 pm my time zone add 8 to get to GMT, so 4 am Friday. Message came from at least 11 hours in the future?

Dunno… brain strain to work it out! I promise I haven't found the trick to time travel.

This is not encouraging.

rimas-meleshyus.jpg

That looks Photoshopped to me - it's a little TOO neat. When was the last time you saw a fin keeler beached perfectly upright?

Its not photo chopped. I know it is a shot taken with/from Rimas according to him.

The CG should have yanked him off and sunk the one that he is on...

The determination of a "manifestly unsafe voyage" is ultimately made my a unit's District Commander (CITE: 33CFR177.04). The determination is subject to many factors, beginning with the vessel's designation and assigned compliance. The following is an excerpt from the Code of Federal Regulations 33CFR177.07) outlining unsafe conditions:

g) Designated manifestly unsafe for a specific voyage on a specific body of water due to:

1) Unsuitable design or configuration, or

2) Improper construction or inadequate material condition, or

3) Improper or inadequate operational or safety equipment, and setforth in an order issued by a District Commander according to the provisions of Sec. 177.04.

This is not encouraging.

rimas-meleshyus.jpg

............. When was the last time you saw a fin keeler beached perfectly upright?

....those two-keelers in england do it all th'time!

The determination of a "manifestly unsafe voyage" is ultimately made my a unit's District Commander (CITE: 33CFR177.04). The determination is subject to many factors, beginning with the vessel's designation and assigned compliance. The following is an excerpt from the Code of Federal Regulations 33CFR177.07) outlining unsafe conditions:

g) Designated manifestly unsafe for a specific voyage on a specific body of water due to:

3) Improper or inadequate operational or safety equipment, and setforth in an order issued by a District Commander according to the provisions of Sec. 177.04.

Don't they have a rule about the owner being a fuckin' lunatic to even think about it? Then he'd be 4 for 4.

This is not encouraging.

rimas-meleshyus.jpg

That looks Photoshopped to me - it's a little TOO neat. When was the last time you saw a fin keeler beached perfectly upright?

Absolutely real. Same as picture(s) in the Small Craft Advisor mag I described above. Way above.

I'm confused about where he's going. He's way off his rhumb line.

Don't they have a rule about the owner being a fuckin' lunatic to even think about it? Then he'd be 4 for 4.

They use this authority very sparingly. And try to base it on the boat rather than a character analysis of!the sailor.

Remember the tin catamaran out of Seattle? More reason to use it there than here, but didn't.

They use this authority very sparingly. And try to base it on the boat rather than a character analysis of!the sailor.

Remember the tin catamaran out of Seattle? More reason to use it there than here, but didn't.

I don't think the CG is tasked to stop the bottom of the gene pool from Darwining.

I'm confused about where he's going. He's way off his rhumb line.

The "rhumb line" on his tracker map points to Seattle. He is suppose to be heading to San Francisco. That is one explanation. The other is if he has head winds. And I get the impression that he may stop sailing at night and drift.

It depends on where the high is positioned. You can get up to 40 before making the turn to SF sometimes. Though, if it were me, and it would never be in early March, I'd be wishing I were somewhere else when that next low comes blowing through. I've made that passage a number of times. I lack the balls to do it in winter. If he stays relatively close to the HON-SFO GC hell get picked up if needed. There's shit tons of traffic out there.

Personally, I have little admiration for someone who doesn't know enough to know when he's fucked up. People might get hurt going after his dumb ass...and that isn't armchair jealousy.

http://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/lectronicday.lasso?date=2014-03-03

A Lack of Clear Communication

March 3, 2014 – North Pacific Ocean

So you're in charge of Search & Rescue for the Coast Guard, and somebody calls and says "My friend who is sailing a 24-ft boat from Hawaii to San Francisco sent me a message that read, 'I lost my life raft, in danger now.'" What the heck does that mean? And what are you supposed to do in what could be a life and death situation?

2014-03-03_1893_Rimas.jpg
Rimas Meleshyus sailing on board his 24-foot San Juan, Pier Pressure.
© 2014 Rimas Meleshyus

Last Thursday morning the Coast Guard was informed of just such a message from Rimas Meleshyus of the San Juan 24 Pier Pressure, who was 944 miles northwest of Hawaii and in gale conditions. After unsuccessful attempts to establish communications with Meleshyus via cell phone, computer and satellite device, the 14th Coast Guard District, Honolulu, decided such a text message warranted a search. They sent a HC-130 Hercules aircraft from Oahu, the Coast Guard Cutter Kukui from Honolulu, and two other vessels toward Pier Pressure's last known position. Better safe than sorry, right?

But on Thursday afternoon, Meleshysus sent another text message saying he was all right and didn't need assistance. Search called off.

Meleshyus had left Hilo on February 9, which means he was making very slow progress toward San Francisco. Last year he left the Pacific Northwest on a much-publicized proposed solo circumnavigation attempt with a boat that he'd bought for a few hundred dollars and that was clearly not designed or built to sail around Cape Horn. As we recall, he made it to Baja, then bailed to Hawaii.

- latitude / richard

He stops every night and drifts.

Personally, I have little admiration for someone who doesn't know enough to know when he's fucked up. People might get hurt going after his dumb ass...and that isn't armchair jealousy.

+1000

Totally agree!

....it seems like a nanny-society thing that anyone feels compelled to rescue the bloke--I'm SURE he knows that he's stepping into darkness with this adventure......I admire that 'devil-may-care' spirit

........personally I AM jealous of his adventure spirit,,,and even the naivety that lets him just -go-for-it-!!

Admiration and jealousy for a suicidal or totally ignorant lunatic.

:rolleyes:

...what would the world look like if everyone thought like -you-?? :mellow:<_<

....I guess we'd still be worried about sailing over the 'edge',,,,beyond the environment!! :rolleyes::lol:

By now, I think he "gets it". He's sailed through (or simply endured) heavy weather It just doesn't phase him. Kind of the way that tornado chasers would throw themselves into a funnel cloud, if they could.

I think his broken English was more at fault for the attempt to rescue him, than an actual request for assistance. I'm not saying he's a master seaman. He's clearly bumbling his way around the globe...kind of like I would, if I were out there right now. :rolleyes:

Wherever on the West Coast he washes up, I hope some marina or kind soul gives him an abandoned but serviceable, tougher boat instead of that eggshell he's been bobbing around in.

He's clearly going to keep at it. We may as well boost his chances a little, so we can quit worrying about him. :P

............... I'm not saying he's a master seaman. He's clearly bumbling his way around the globe...kind of like I would, if I were out there right now. :rolleyes:

Wherever on the West Coast he washes up, I hope some marina or kind soul gives him an abandoned but serviceable, tougher boat instead of that eggshell he's been bobbing around in. ............

...too many of us think of all the possible fails,,try to prepare against them,,,don't go -anywhere-,,

..........there's something about this guy's naive-bravery that's somehow admirable :mellow:

....I'd imagine he at least has a frying-pan!! :lol: ......(anyone remember that one??)

.....from what I've seen on Ebay,,it might be that SanD would be a good place to 'wash-up',,

,,,,,he could 'move-up' to a catalina 27 :rolleyes:

...what would the world look like if everyone thought like -you-?? :mellow:<_<

....I guess we'd still be worried about sailing over the 'edge',,,,beyond the environment!! :rolleyes::lol:

The explorers were as prepared as they could be for their times - they didn't just push a log into the Atlantic and go looking for new worlds.

I'll save my admiration for adventurers who do it right. Skip Novak comes to mind.

............... I'm not saying he's a master seaman. He's clearly bumbling his way around the globe...kind of like I would, if I were out there right now. :rolleyes:

Wherever on the West Coast he washes up, I hope some marina or kind soul gives him an abandoned but serviceable, tougher boat instead of that eggshell he's been bobbing around in. ............

...too many of us think of all the possible fails,,try to prepare against them,,,don't go -anywhere-,,

..........there's something about this guy's naive-bravery that's somehow admirable :mellow:

....I'd imagine he at least has a frying-pan!! :lol: ......(anyone remember that one??)

.....from what I've seen on Ebay,,it might be that SanD would be a good place to 'wash-up',,

,,,,,he could 'move-up' to a catalina 27 :rolleyes:

don't know if he has a frying pan but I've seen pictures.....his winch handles fit.

don't know if he has a frying pan but I've seen pictures.....his winch handles fit.

..........the jib-sheets--were they long enough?

...and will he be picking up a toy-boy to complete his solo journey?? :blink::mellow:

What the hell happened? Did he go in circles?

What the hell happened? Did he go in circles?

I hope that's a spot tracker error. But then again.....That's not a little circle either. I can only imagine that the food supplies have got to be getting low.

It isn't a spot tracker error, you can read his updates. He did that loop over a 4 day period. It looks like he makes a bit of forward progress every day, then loses it overnight. For example on Tuesday he sailed only about 2 miles east, but about 15 miles north. Tuesday night his boat 10 miles northwest, so he was now west of where he was on Tuesday morning. Wednesday morning to Thursday morning he only went about 4 miles northwest (against his course) and wrote "Hello and how are you guys now i know why people do not like to sail to san francisco it s difficult against wind".

alex

SJ 24's, like most IOR boats are at their best to windward. He should be able to make more than a couple of miles a day if he's not sailing into a storm.

I don't understand the drifting at night idea.

There are more hours of darkness than there are of light, so he is taking one step forward, two back.

With a lashed tiller, surely the sj 24 will sail along nicely under main, or jib and make 3-4 kts in the right direction?

It would have to be safer than just drifting too.

I know my sj 30 is happy to sail along under full sail with the tiller lashed, in any direction other than DDW, which is when it becomes a death rolling bitch.

In a boat like his, I would be making every attempt to maximize boat speed, to minimize exposure time.

He will be out there months, in what should only be a few week crossing.

He definitely needs to be disabused of this notion.

He is moving east again, but progress is unbelievably slow. In the 48 hours from Wednesday morning to now he moved 39 nm east. Right now he appears to slowly be drifting east.

looks like he has made about 100 miles in the last 7 days. stuck in the pacific high.

....it's seems rather strange that the fellow's got the bux$ for a spot tracker...and not.much.else! :mellow:

...and he has the spot-tracker for -what-??....so he can be tracked by his 'friends',,

,,,or is it so his (not so) friends who waved him off on his adventure,,can see the exact spot of his demise!?

.......if I ever set off on such a Spartan adventure,,,remind me not to spend my boatbux on a spot-tracker <_<

...........on the other hand,,,if you want to follow position on such an adventure,and I actually have one I'm thinking 'bout,,

,,,you can add a tracker to my list -only- after I'm equipped to survive!

WTF!!!

I don't understand the drifting at night idea.
There are more hours of darkness than there are of light, so he is taking one step forward, two back.
With a lashed tiller, surely the sj 24 will sail along nicely under main, or jib and make 3-4 kts in the right direction?
It would have to be safer than just drifting too.
I know my sj 30 is happy to sail along under full sail with the tiller lashed, in any direction other than DDW, which is when it becomes a death rolling bitch.
In a boat like his, I would be making every attempt to maximize boat speed, to minimize exposure time.
He will be out there months, in what should only be a few week crossing.

.....yeh,,had a sj24 at one point--the helm can balance nicely -if- tuned right...it could go along very nicely to windward -without- lashing

He definitely needs to be disabused of this notion.

.....lot's of time t'think about it...let's see how creative he gets!

He has a spot tracker because people on this thread and Sailnet bought him one. He was doing this with a car GPS and no other electronics originally, and people worried about him.

He has a spot tracker because people on this thread and Sailnet bought him one. He was doing this with a car GPS and no other electronics originally, and people worried about him.

.....did people set him up fully equipped,,,did he even get the new shrouds and a haulout?...or just the tracker? <_<

...the tracker won't -save- him from anything,,,just tell us the point of demise! :mellow:

He had the Spot on the way to Hawaii. I don't know what the total was that we gave him in the end. Does anyone know?

Spot does not give you a lat/long, hence the car GPS.

....WTF,,,,anyways,,I still envy his willingness to get off th'couch & just -do-it!,,,and I'm still glad I pitched 30 boat bux his way,,,,,,I hope he at least got a good 'night out on the town' before heading out to the yonder seas .........do I get my money back if he doesn't make Tahiti!? :mellow::lol:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rimas Around The World--Make A Donation
Become a supporter
33 Supporters
$1,446 Raised
Days Left: 16
Goal: $4,000
Ways To Donate

$200 Donate

Help get Rimas all the way back to Whidbey Island!

$150 Donate

Help get Rimas wherever he's going after that!

$100 Donate

Help get Rimas to South Africa!

$50 Donate

Help get Rimas to Cape Horn!

$30 Donate

Help get Rimas to Tahiti!

$20 Donate

Help get Rimas past the equator!

$10 Donate

Help get Rimas out of Hilo Bay!

....WTF,,,,anyways,,I still envy his willingness to get off th'couch & just -do-it!,,,and I'm still glad I pitched 30 boat bux his way,,,,,,I hope he at least got a good 'night out on the town' before heading out to the yonder seas .........do I get my money back if he doesn't make Tahiti!? :mellow::lol:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Waste of 30 bucks If you want to help strays, you should have given your money to a local animal shelter.

Early in this thread I said, more or less, we should give him the benefit of the doubt

Time has show he is just another feckless fucker.

... This isn't the first time he's tried this kind of thing. A couple he spent 34 days crossing the Gulf of Alaska, also in a SJ24. He ended up shipwrecked on an island near Kodiak for 9 days before he was rescued by the Coast Guard. I gave him a Spot tracker and a bunch of batteries for it because I figured this could be an interesting show....

http://www.whidbeynewstimes.com/news/213584831.html?mobile=true

And here is a link to the tracker.

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0peJuCrfr2oqehW0RAegJdeJsCaHryH5q

Just a wild guess: his sailing experience prior to this adventure was 34 days and he's self-taught.

Another wild guess: his teacher hasn't gotten to the part about balancing the boat to sail itself yet. :rolleyes:

He's living his dream, which is apparently to bumble cluelessly around the ocean. I'm torn between respect for someone living his dream and contempt for someone with such disrespect for the ocean and the sailors who told him this was a bad idea.

But it is an interesting show. Hope no one gets hurt before it ends.

You,ve seen it before, a person's God protects fools, babes and drunkards, sometimes even going to great lengths to protect mere men.

That fisherman that survived so long adrift and looked like a couch potato when he was rescued, reminds me, were there is a will, there is a way.

Or was it if there is a will, there is a willnot??

You,ve seen it before, a person's God protects fools, babes and drunkards, sometimes even going to great lengths to protect mere men.

That fisherman that survived so long adrift and looked like a couch potato when he was rescued, reminds me, were there is a will, there is a way.

...I resemble that comment :mellow:

...I really believe that in recent times we've taken the 'value of life' too high....

...........to the extent of all the pussification helmet laws,,,,,the level of effort to do rescue's etc.

....if the bounds of a mountain resort are marked clearly,,the you should receive 'adventurer' status,,,,

,,,,,,,,,,the same as if you go beyond ~12 miles offshore....the same as when I knowingly shove out into a storm when nothing else is on the water...I have some trouble,,,I limp home,,,,it makes me feel very -alive-!!.........very different than not needing to worry --I'll get 'plucked' if I didn't plan right

.......what kind of friggin 'adventure' is it,,spot or not,,,if you can get in trouble in the most isolated places on the planet and some chopper comes along after GREAT risk and expense and plucks yer out <_<

...people -need- true wilderness experiences,,to go -beyond-the-edge-,without the expectation or even possibility of rescue,,,

................or our psyche's turn to mush......................uh,oh,,,,nevermind :mellow:

...I really believe that in recent times we've taken the 'value of life' too high....

...........to the extent of all the pussification helmet laws,,,,,the level of effort to do rescue's etc.

....if the bounds of a mountain resort are marked clearly,,the you should receive 'adventurer' status,,,,

,,,,,,,,,,the same as if you go beyond ~12 miles offshore....the same as when I knowingly shove out into a storm when nothing else is on the water...I have some trouble,,,I limp home,,,,it makes me feel very -alive-!!.........very different than not needing to worry --I'll get 'plucked' if I didn't plan right

.......what kind of friggin 'adventure' is it,,spot or not,,,if you can get in trouble in the most isolated places on the planet and some chopper comes along after GREAT risk and expense and plucks yer out <_<

...people -need- true wilderness experiences,,to go -beyond-the-edge-,without the expectation or even possibility of rescue,,,

................or our psyche's turn to mush......................uh,oh,,,,nevermind :mellow:

Couch, I couldn't possibly agree with you more!

PS: I have my fingers crossed "Mr Boss" will help you out. And maybe give Rimas Meleshyus sailing lessons?.

I will ask him

PS: I have my fingers crossed "Mr Boss" will help you out. And maybe give Rimas Meleshyus sailing lessons?.

I will ask him

...ahh thank you sailor,,,your good wishes bring me peace-of-heart! :rolleyes:

Couch, I couldn't possibly agree with you more!

I've been saying a similar thing for years, ever since the round the world racers started using extreme edge boats. If they want to take those sort of risks, more power to them but they should do it without any communications gear and no expectation of assistance or rescue.

If they make it back, great and they can receive adulation, if not - well I guess their judgement was a bit off but at least no one else had to risk their lives at great expense to pull their fat out of their self made fire.

He seems to have shaken off the doldrums and is making much better progress. At least he stated that he had plenty of food.

Last night he still appeared to give up half a day's worth of eastward progress while sleeping. His 24 hour progress yesterday was 40NM NNE.

I was a climbing bum for years. Climbed all manner of stuff-- from Yosemite granite to J-Tree weeny sport routes, but mostly remote, wilderness routes. This was 20 years ago, before cell phones.

I got into a few very grim situations and could (should?) have perished on a couple occasions. But we always approached the mountain with dread respect. As if we were prey animals and it was the predator. We always had a realistic expectation of what we could climb and couldn't climb. We knew that doing any technical mountaineering routes means shit could go pear shaped even on an "easy" route.

Like climbing, sailing has enough inherent risks. We did dumb stuff now and again but we learned from our mistakes nevertheless guys I knew fell and died or fell and broke their back because it's all in the game.There is plenty of adventure to be had exploring and sailing within your own and your boat's capabilities.

I don't get that this guy has the proper respect for the ocean. The only issue is that his foolishness might endanger others (rescuers and such).

---------

edit-- He should have gone to the Caribbean. With his progress it would have only taken him 2 to 4 days to do the crossing from Miami to Bimini. Then he could island hop around and figure out how to sail.

I do sense a lack of respect. Hopefully he gets that before it gets him.

I was a climbing bum for years. Climbed all manner of stuff-- from Yosemite granite to J-Tree weeny sport routes, but mostly remote, wilderness routes. This was 20 years ago, before cell phones.

I got into a few very grim situations and could (should?) have perished on a couple occasions. But we always approached the mountain with dread respect. As if we were prey animals and it was the predator. We always had a realistic expectation of what we could climb and couldn't climb. We knew that doing any technical mountaineering routes means shit could go pear shaped even on an "easy" route.

Like climbing, sailing has enough inherent risks. We did dumb stuff now and again but we learned from our mistakes nevertheless guys I knew fell and died or fell and broke their back because it's all in the game.There is plenty of adventure to be had exploring and sailing within your own and your boat's capabilities.

I don't get that this guy has the proper respect for the ocean. The only issue is that his foolishness might endanger others (rescuers and such).

---------

edit-- He should have gone to the Caribbean. With his progress it would have only taken him 2 to 4 days to do the crossing from Miami to Bimini. Then he could island hop around and figure out how to sail.

Well said!

Dangerously ignorant is not admirable.

---------

Well said!

Dangerously ignorant is not admirable.

I'm all about pushing limits. Why else get out of bed? But folks should have a basic concept of 1) limits and 2) limits as they pertain to you.

I'm all about pushing limits. Why else get out of bed? But folks should have a basic concept of 1) limits and 2) limits as they pertain to you.

.....getting out of bed!?..............that's your limit!?!? :blink::o:rolleyes:

.....getting out of bed!?..............that's your limit!?!? :blink::o:rolleyes:

use your words, partner. read it as many times as you need to

Dr. Paris should donate Kiwi Spirit to Rimas!

I heard this second-hand, but apparently Rimas has damaged his main sail to the point where he cannot repair or use it. So he is now sailing under headsail only.

I heard this second-hand, but apparently Rimas has damaged his main sail to the point where he cannot repair or use it. So he is now sailing under headsail only.

Probably won't even notice.

No power in the main on a SJ anyway.

From his DeLorme tracker/communicator thingy:

Rimas Meleshyus

Tue Mar 18 2014

12:06 PM

Hello i problem all main sail need to repair i do not have tools i use only storm jib takes to get san francisco long time may be in april of the end

Speed: 4.4 mph

Heading: N

Elev: 1 ft

Lat: 33.678556

Lon: -132.954311

He isn't going to make SF from there. He's south of San Diego in what will very soon be a building north westerly pattern...and likely a pretty strong one. His first landfall is probably going to be on Cabo someplace...if he's lucky.

His first landfall is probably going to be on Cabo someplace...if he's lucky.

....if he's lucky is right :mellow:

..maybe we can spot-track him into a cantina

Rimas Meleshyus

Tue Mar 18 2014

Hello i problem all main sail need to repair i do not have tools i use only storm jib takes to get san francisco long time may be in april of the end

He types a slightly more coherent sentence than Woody. Slightly.

This guy is still alive? I'm actually impressed, be it in a really round about way

Rimas Meleshyus

Tue Mar 18 2014

Hello i problem is that heading around the world without spare sails and sail repair tools is damn foolish behavior.

Ok, check this out:

I am lucky i found it extra main sail it old but it s works

How exactly does one lose or forget about, and then "find" a spare mainsail inside of a San Juan 24?

Am I the only one that finds this humorous?

Ok, check this out:

I am lucky i found it extra main sail it old but it s works

How exactly does one lose or forget about, and then "find" a spare mainsail inside of a San Juan 24?

Am I the only one that finds this humorous?

"Absurd" is a better word than humorous. Can somebody re post the link for his feed. Where are you guys getting this epic play by play?

His texts are great. A bevy of found poetry

Today i am surprise do not lost it a mast it was too heavy whether this going for many days

I put in 25 dollars for a shirt, then they cancelled the shirt idea. If they were still making them I'd include one of these fine and confusing quotes under a really nice siluette of the boat sailing gracefully into the horizon. That's the shirt I want.

.......frypan--check

......winch handles--check

....jib-sheets long enough--check!

.......a surprise spare mainsail?----OMG! :blink:

....I have a feeling this guy's got a pipeline from extra-terresticals straight into the fore-peak!! :o

...I put in $30,,,I want the shirt he's wearing now,

...........with his last message scratched in.

......yeh ,I know--take it to the ......'last obits' thread :mellow:

I love found poetry and I loved teaching E.S.L because you get some really cool stuff. His texts just need line breaks and a bad ass painting to pair with. This first poem I've titled "Big bang on my."

BigBangonMy_zps98154ab7.jpg