buys737

Sailing around the world in a San Juan 24

Soliton sounds alien.

So does Rimas.

Coincidence?

Coincidence? I think not.

How can you cremate someone when they're lost at sea unless you have alien powers?

"big headline news around the world"? LOL! If it makes headines, the world will yawn. Rimas is a legend only in his mind... what a narcissist.

Latest news of the Greatest Advernture. Party at the equator !!!

Rimas Meleshyus

Sun Oct 19 2014

11:50 AM

Dearest my friends. San juan 24 close to the equator? will be the big headline news around the world this boat not for the open ocean sailing adventure on edge

Speed: 1.2 mph

Heading: S

Elev: 28 ft

Lat: 6.950376

Lon: -150.522675

The crowd goes wild!!!!!

John Guzwell sailed a homebuilt 20 footer around the world back in the late 50s, and did so in a far more seamanlike manner. Also, he didn't resort to panhandling... paid all his bills himself. No weather router, no Delorme, no GPS. Far more significant and worthy of admiration, imo.

And Robin Lee Graham sailed a 24' fg production boat, a Cal 24, south of the equator and most of the way around the world as a teenager, back in the 60s. Again, no weather router, no Delorme, no GPS.

Rimas isn't even fit to walk in their shadows.

John Guzwell sailed a homebuilt 20 footer around the world back in the late 50s, and did so in a far more seamanlike manner. Also, he didn't resort to panhandling... paid all his bills himself. No weather router, no Delorme, no GPS. Far more significant and worthy of admiration, imo.

And Robin Lee Graham sailed a 24' fg production boat, a Cal 24, south of the equator and most of the way around the world as a teenager, back in the 60s. Again, no weather router, no Delorme, no GPS.

Not only that but in the middle of the voyage he signed on with the Smeetons to round Cape Horn ... another story. Rimas should not be in the same conversation with these sailors.

Not only that but in the middle of the voyage he signed on with the Smeetons to round Cape Horn ... another story. Rimas should not be in the same conversation with these sailors.

His posturing selfies, his talk of the sea and record breaking is like a parody of all the famous sailors and worthy of much more humour if we didn't know the ignorant risks he takes with his own life.

His posturing selfies, his talk of the sea and record breaking is like a parody of all the famous sailors and worthy of much more humour if we didn't know the ignorant risks he takes with his own life.
Rimas is ignorant of what it takes to be a sailor. Not knowing any of the rudimentary skills, he thinks that dressing in sailor costumes, and bluster about setting records and rounding Cape Horn is what sailors do... so if he does that he's a sailor. He's pure comedy gold.

Rimas is ignorant of what it takes to be a sailor. Not knowing any of the rudimentary skills, he thinks that dressing in sailor costumes, and bluster about setting records and rounding Cape Horn is what sailors do... so if he does that he's a sailor. He's pure comedy gold.

....I have a feeling he followed the 1000days thread :mellow:

....I have a feeling he followed the 1000days thread :mellow:

If he did, he'd be eating cheese and knocking up his crew.,,, and talking about some NASA bullshit.

And it only took RLG 22 days to sail from LA to Honolulu. Not bad for a young guy on a small boat!

And it only took RLG 22 days to sail from LA to Honolulu. Not bad for a young guy on a small boat!
Very true. It helped that he had a homemade vane. It took Guzwell 28 days from SF, but he lay ahull for a few days in a gale. No vane, but he used twin jibs downwind when he reached the trades. Still was good time for 20' boat. I'm fine with Rimas following his dream, and interested that he's doing it in a $500 boat, but his ego and grandiosity is a big turn-off.

RKoch,

Why not post your sailing experience vs shitting on Rimas who has more miles in his log than you will ever have. You are a joke and a wannabe. Also known as a loser.

RKoch,

Why not post your sailing experience vs shitting on Rimas who has more miles in his log than you will ever have. You are a joke and a wannabe. Also known as a loser.

I've been able to

sail upwind since I was 7. Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

RKoch,

Nanu Nanu.

And I sailed a SJ24 downwind in 40 knots with a kite up, 40 years ago. Let's see Rimas do that.

RKoch,

Why not post YOUR sailing experience which enables you to judge people whom you feel have unfavorably judged Rimas?

It's obvious the poor man is clueless and unable to carry out almost any basic sailing. This is why many of us here at SA feel his attempt to sail across the Pacific is all but outright suicide.

If you feel this is harsh, it's unfortunately the truth. While it is a common human failing to criticise others to make oneself feel better, that is not what's happening here (mostly). It's just that most of us are good enough sailors to recognizing the obvious truth (an important skill in sailing as well as many other endeavors).

FB- Doug

And I sailed a SJ24 downwind in 40 knots with a kite up, 40 years ago. Let's see Rimas do that.

Piece o' cake, they were NEW then

:huh:

FB- Doug

Piece o' cake, they were NEW then

:huh:

FB- Doug

Not after that, it wasn't... I believe the owner aged quite a bit too.

Rimas latest transmission. Bummed his way around Central America ?

Rimas Meleshyus
Sun Oct 19 2014
6:02 PM
The greatest adventure in 1997 i left san diego california with 15 dalors in the pocket and traveled to all central america more than one year on the foot
Speed: 3.7 mph
Heading: SSW
Elev: 21 ft
Lat: 6.719610
Lon: -150.593552

Rimas Meleshyus
Sun Oct 19 2014

The greatest adventure in 1997 i left san diego california with 15 dalors in the pocket and traveled to all central america more than one year on the foot

.....he said it on Delorme...it -must- be true! :mellow:

It will be exiting for Rimas to cross the equator. That will be a milestone he will be very proud of.

It will be exiting for Rimas to cross the equator. That will be a milestone he will be very proud of.

Exiting the Northern Hemisphere?

Exiting the ITCZ

Exiting this mortal coil?

;)

Karkuk,

being born in Sochi does not a Russian one make. Rimas is very much Estonian.

Uh, ok. I feel I may have unwittingly stumbled upon a subtle geo-political/semantic distinction? I confess to being pretty much clueless about Russia's borders, so I simply looked at a map and found Sochi. Apparently that doesn't work? Looks like Sochi is a fair distance south of Estonia?

I think Rimas's parents were Estonian, not sure where he was born. IIRC they were sent to Siberia (maybe a gulag?) at some point in his youth.

Side note: I know some sailors from former Soviet Union... former crew from Fazisi/Odessa that ended up here after the Whitbreads. The Russians are just about as stubborn and egotistical as Rimas, far better sailors though although tough to deal with on a boat. The Ukrainian is laid back and mellow, great to be on a boat with. I have no idea if this applies to all Russians and Ukrainians.

Exiting the ITCZ

;)

Watching the Delorme clock over.

Loose-footed inre to no boom, as the poster I was responding to was suggesting. I don't see how a preventer can be rigged to a sail with no boom, but I'm interested in hearing suggestions.

Why would you need a preventer when you can sheet directly to a spot on deck that acts as sheet, outhaul, vang and preventer? Like a jib. Get the right lead and you eliminate three pieces of running rigging and that heavy aluminum spar. Can be made to work from a beat to a broad reach with high efficiency. For deeper downwind angles on slow boats, it's easier to drop the main entirely and fly a spinnaker by itself. An old tired sym can be flown to good effect by tacking it to the stem and flying it asym-style.

I don't have a huge amount of experience with that -- about 1,500 miles or so in open ocean -- but enough to know that it works efficiently and with a dead minimum of fuss.

No boom on the foresail didn't seem to hurt this old girl's speed much...

DEL%20PIANO%20AMERICA%2018%20X%2026.jpg

Boomless production boats:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dart_18

Loose-footed inre to no boom, as the poster I was responding to was suggesting. I don't see how a preventer can be rigged to a sail with no boom, but I'm interested in hearing suggestions.

Why would you need a preventer when you can sheet directly to a spot on deck that acts as sheet, outhaul, vang and preventer? Like a jib. Get the right lead and you eliminate three pieces of running rigging and that heavy aluminum spar. Can be made to work from a beat to a broad reach with high efficiency. For deeper downwind angles on slow boats, it's easier to drop the main entirely and fly a spinnaker by itself. An old tired sym can be flown to good effect by tacking it to the stem and flying it asym-style.

I don't have a huge amount of experience with that -- about 1,500 miles or so in open ocean -- but enough to know that it works efficiently and with a dead minimum of fuss.

First, a boom is longer than the half beam of the boat, so the sail projects greater area running with a boom, than if you sheet it to the rail. Second, while reaching with a loose-footed sail it becomes much fuller... too full. Boom keeps it flatter and more efficiently shaped. Third, when jibing, the boom swings the mainsheet around the back. With no boom, the clew blows forward dragging the mainsheet across the middle of the boat. That could cause an injury or death

(as happened to many of the british fisherman in the Bawley trawlers). Fourth, as I mentioned above, a preventer led from the boom forward holds the boom out in case of an accidental jibe. It also steadies the sail in light air and chop... reduces the amount of slatting. A sheet led to the rail, on a loose-footed sail, does neither.

Generally the loose-footed sails were used on working boats, where a boom would get in the way of fishing gear or deck cargo. Thames barges sometimes carried huge haystacks on deck with the sail half-brailed up. They couldn't do that with a boom. Remember, working boats are looking for working efficiency, not sailing efficiency. Some small boats used a boomless rig, like dories or the Deal England skiffs, for ultra simplicity or to make raising and dropping the sail when landing through surf onto the beach much quicker. Thats also why they had dipping lug rigs.

BTW, America was fast upwind, but performed poorly on the downwind legs during the IOW Race. Upwind speed primarily due to better, flatter sails of cotton, vs. the baggy flax the British used. Also, America had a sharply hollowed entry like a clipper, the British boats of the period were decidedly "cod's head, mackeral tail" design. America was later rerigged with a boom on the foresail, and note that none of the Glousterman schooners like Bluenose copied the loose-footed foresail rig. If it was better, they would have done

so, as they had quite narrow foresails and were fiercely raced. Also, many of the A-Cat sailors are using booms now. If it wasn't better, they wouldn't.

No boom on the foresail didn't seem to hurt this old girl's speed much...

DEL%20PIANO%20AMERICA%2018%20X%2026.jpg

Boomless production boats:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dart_18

A SJ 24 has a small main but that foot is longer than half the been, as noted above. Sail shape and control without a boom would be crap. Comparing it to a Dart isn't really a fair comparison. The Dart will never really sheet out the way a SJ 24 will. A cat sails hot angles to keep the apparent forward. Thinking about it makes me miss off the wind sailing on my H17. Easy the traveler , sheet on and send it. So much fun

Exiting the ITCZ

;)

Watching the Delorme clock over.

Yes, very… exiting.

You guys are thinking too much about racing shape and not about down-speed cruising.

Would I purposely rig a cruising boat without a boom?

No.

But I have been forced to sail over 1,000 nm without a boom and found it quieter and safer with minimal (but most certainly some) loss of efficiency.

When you've done 1,000 miles boomless, let's reopen the discussion.

You guys are thinking too much about racing shape and not about down-speed cruising.

Would I purposely rig a cruising boat without a boom?

No.

But I have been forced to sail over 1,000 nm without a boom and found it quieter and safer with minimal (but most certainly some) loss of efficiency.

When you've done 1,000 miles boomless, let's reopen the discussion.

I've done it!

Twin jibs.. day after day. Even when the chain/rope from the vane fell off the spigot on the tiller for many hours before being noticed the boat stayed sailing DDW.

Boomless main? It'd have to have a short 70s IOR style foot.

RKoch,

And you sound like you got more Issues than the NY Times

Rimas Meleshyus
Sun Oct 19 2014

Like I give a Fuck, big Fuck'n deal , so Fuck'n what

In 1982 I went to France with $50 in Greek Dracmas which I could not exchange..met some chics and made out next to the canal with a hot Danish chic , hitch hiked to the south of France and got picked up by a French punker that couldn't speak Eng. but need rolling papers got high all the way south, picked grapes and met some hot French country girls then went to Rotterdam with my small change and got in a punk rock band , squatted houses and sold mix tapes of LA punk bands for smoke n beer and slamdanced with a bunch of Den Haig Skins because the Punks were too afraid to while UK Subs played.... Fuck your adventure

RKoch,

Why not post YOUR sailing experience which enables you to judge people whom you feel have unfavorably judged Rimas?

I think a better test for this thread would be, "How old were you when you would have been able to sail better than Rimas?"

About 10 in my case.

RKoch,

I think a better test for this thread would be, "How old were you when you would have been able to sail better than Rimas?"

About 10 in my case.

that's because we sail.. he drift/sails and his adventures of a drifter are probably equally unexciting . 40 years old in So. Am. with 15 bucks..ok what you do? live in the jungle n trap food with locals? eat coca leaves and hike to the source of the Amazon? He most likely bummed food n housing from poor people that thought he was funny looking and felt sorry for him..When I was 13 I bought a hobie12 and sailed that bitch half way to Catalina n back because NB harbor was too crowded for me...point is we sail and Rimus just pretends to and then builds himself up for his own ego. He's been pretty lucky so far but luck on the ocean never lasts forever and for the first time in his life he will be drifting into areas of reefs and no one to help ...good luck on that...

Rimas Meleshyus
Sun Oct 19 2014

Like I give a Fuck, big Fuck'n deal , so Fuck'n what

In 1982 I went to France with $50 in Greek Dracmas which I could not exchange..met some chics and made out next to the canal with a hot Danish chic , hitch hiked to the south of France and got picked up by a French punker that couldn't speak Eng. but need rolling papers got high all the way south, picked grapes and met some hot French country girls then went to Rotterdam with my small change and got in a punk rock band , squatted houses and sold mix tapes of LA punk bands for smoke n beer and slamdanced with a bunch of Den Haig Skins because the Punks were too afraid to while UK Subs played.... Fuck your adventure

Meh… that was a great greek or french adventure (sounded like fun), his an american great GREAT adventure. I don't think you can compare due to lack of internet awareness in 1982 and greatness of drifting a reasonably competent sailing vessel around the world.

When was Rimas an interpreter? Between walking around Canada and Central America, its starting to sound like he's never worked, and has been a transient his whole life.

Stop the presses . . . :rolleyes:

"big headline news around the world"? LOL! If it makes headines, the world will yawn. Rimas is a legend only in his mind... what a narcissist.

Sombody Else Said:

"On slow boats, it's easier to drop the main entirely and fly a spinnaker by itself. An old tired sym can be flown to good effect by tacking it to the stem and flying it asym-style.

I don't have a huge amount of experience with that -- about 1,500 miles or so in open ocean -- but enough to know that it works efficiently and with a dead minimum of fuss."

Here we are doing just that a few weeks ago. Our boat won't win any races and our kite is certainly old and tired (originally for a MacGregor Venture and made in like 1970...bought it on Craigslist for $75 so I feel a connection to Rimas there.)

Works fine tacked to the anchor roller with a sheet led aft to the cockpit. Perfect for downwind cruising. I think I will invest in a pole for next season though...so much more versatility.

post-104930-0-62546600-1413811635_thumb.jpg

RKoch,

About 10 in my case.

that's because we sail.. he drift/sails and his adventures of a drifter are probably equally unexciting . 40 years old in So. Am. with 15 bucks..ok what you do? live in the jungle n trap food with locals? eat coca leaves and hike to the source of the Amazon? He most likely bummed food n housing from poor people that thought he was funny looking and felt sorry for him..When I was 13 I bought a hobie12 and sailed that bitch half way to Catalina n back because NB harbor was too crowded for me...point is we sail and Rimus just pretends to and then builds himself up for his own ego. He's been pretty lucky so far but luck on the ocean never lasts forever and for the first time in his life he will be drifting into areas of reefs and no one to help ...good luck on that...

My point was that anyone who has passed that point is well-qualified to comment on Rimas. Soliton asked about my national rank or something, prompting me to brag about my two utterly ridiculous "national championships."

It may be silly, but I'm going to defend my title again in a few weeks. If you look at the perfect form and task-focused attention displayed by the jib trimmer in this dramatic racing shot, you can see what I'm up against.

indyannaracin-lg.jpg

Rimas better be careful with his stories or he may end up appearing like this character, Hap Shaughnessy, in the TV show Red Green.

Thinking about Rimas's path forward to Western Samoa from this point with no charts. Is it possible for his handlers to give him adequate navigation guidance to safely guide him that area? If so, Rimas's presence on board is almost functionless. Next step - a remotely controlled sailboat making a "historic voyage" carrying a nonagenarian along for the ride.

Thinking about Rimas's path forward to Western Samoa from this point with no charts. Is it possible for his handlers to give him adequate navigation guidance to safely guide him that area? If so, Rimas's presence on board is almost functionless. Next step - a remotely controlled sailboat making a "historic voyage" carrying a nonagenarian along for the ride.

IDK what charts Rimas has, or if he is capable of using them. I suspect that if his shore team wasn't telling him what to do, he'd be pretty lost.

Outside of loss of communication, the biggest downside I can see is if navigating in tight quarters, the handlers can't see what Rimas is seeing, and the response time for Rimas to talk to them, receive instructions, and execute them is too great. But Rimas doesn't have the skills to sail in tight quaters anyway, he has to be towed in and out, so it probably doesn't matter.

Yea, the whole weather-router, trip planner, thing has gotten out of hand. Where is the sense of accomplishment if someone has to hold your hand the whole time?

Exiting the ITCZ

;)

Exiting reality.

RKoch,

About 10 in my case.

My point was that anyone who has passed that point is well-qualified to comment on Rimas. Soliton asked about my national rank or something, prompting me to brag about my two utterly ridiculous "national championships."

It may be silly, but I'm going to defend my title again in a few weeks. If you look at the perfect form and task-focused attention displayed by the jib trimmer in this dramatic racing shot, you can see what I'm up against.

indyannaracin-lg.jpg

Do class rules require you to drag the outboard?

RKoch,

About 10 in my case.

indyannaracin-lg.jpg

I don't know, Tom. I can't quite tell just what your jib trimmer is doing in that shot but they must be doing it wrong becuase their hand is in their crotch and their toes are not curled. Looks like slow form to me. Good luck defending that title if your jib trimmer can't sort out the correct technique...

indyannaracin-lg.jpg

Do class rules require you to drag the outboard?

It's not required, but it does demonstrate the right attitude.

From passage weather he certainly does seem to be reaching. And he is also making headway overnight. Maybe a bit of urgency has set in, motivating him to evolve a bit. I'm surprised. Maybe now Jean can feel better that all his time and instruction was not wasted.

Does this mean that Rimas is now officially a sailor?

From passage weather he certainly does seem to be reaching. And he is also making headway overnight. Maybe a bit of urgency has set in, motivating him to evolve a bit. I'm surprised. Maybe now Jean can feel better that all his time and instruction was not wasted.

Rimas is showing improvement, but still can't sail to windward or leave/enter port without a tow. So the answer is NO.

And yes, Jean is probably feeling a bit better now.

Where is the sense of accomplishment if someone has to hold your hand the whole time?

......good question to ask Abby Sunderland,no?

Pre-gps the big differentiator was the ability to navigate. Seamanship was assumed. Crossing an ocean a rare accomplishment - noteworthy and deservedly so.

With gps - we are discovering just how little skill is required to cross an ocean.

And No-Fishhook Rimas is that: The absolute end-member for crossing an ocean - minimal skills and minimal preparation.

The Soviet Union ceased to exist in 1991...25 years ago. Is he just getting the news?

Ummm, last time I checked 1991 was 23 years ago...

Rimas is showing improvement, but still can't sail to windward or leave/enter port without a tow. So the answer is NO.

And yes, Jean is probably feeling a bit better now.

You never know when a new skill will materialize out on Pier Pressure...

Pre-gps the big differentiator was the ability to navigate. Seamanship was assumed. Crossing an ocean a rare accomplishment - noteworthy and deservedly so.

With gps - we are discovering just how little skill is required to cross an ocean.

And along with gps, affordable 24hr open communication with the mainland.

And No-Fishhook Rimas is that: The absolute end-member for crossing an ocean

....it's amazing what gets missed from these adventures.....remember frying pan,winch-handles from another well advertised great great adventure? :unsure:

Where is the sense of accomplishment if someone has to hold your hand the whole time?

Exactly! She was quite un-prepared to sail and maintain an Open 40, and required hand-holding the whole time. Not noteworthy. Rimas is even less able than Abby.

Exactly! She was quite un-prepared to sail and maintain an Open 40, and required hand-holding the whole time. Not noteworthy. Rimas is even less able than Abby.

.....yeh,, I think she managed to somehow sail upwind,somewhat :mellow:

. ...anyone remember the name of the winch-handles,,frypan gal??

...oh yeh,,here's some more tripe from Rimas---obviously not too worried about things,,since we see -all- his outgoing communications.......

Rimas Meleshyus
Mon Oct 20 2014

11:36 AM

Hello to my riends! at night it huge sqealls my turn to the east just about 11 min only. Guys who are new online please read about me in cruing world magazine
Speed: 4.4 mph
Heading: SW
Lat: 5.983268

Lon: -150.805939

Per latest DeLorme update, Pier Pressure is moving along at 3.5 kn on a broad reach with 12-15 kn breeze 4ft following swell. Is this not similar to lake conditions that the boat was designed for? More sail, some trim, haul in the sea anchor and he should be at 5 kn at least. Surely the hull is riding high with minimal water or stores. Let's get a 2 way text going with a sailing lesson a day. What would be lesson #1?

He's in cruising world magazine?

Anyone have a link to this? I can't find anything.

Sailing to New Zealand next week, please send cash via Paypal, or marine parts and supplys c/o Marina Taina, Tahiti. Thanks. Planning many massive American Historical moments of great Historical Importance. Way beyond those we've achieved already.

Careful BJ or you will be accused of being a jealous wanna be.

BJ,

Do what you've always done, take it from your wife's purse. Ivy League my ass. I know a Harvard grad driving a cab. I hope your kids are getting a killer homeschooling as both their parents are brilliant. Yeah, mixed messages.

My goodness you are an execrable excuse for a human being.

He's probably doing the jib-only thing again. SJ pretty slow reaching, but he should be doing over 4. If he had a whisker pole he could probably get near 5.

Yea, the name "Pacific" is derived from "peacefull". SJ well-suited, at least as well as any mass-produced 4ksb. No particular big deal sailing/drifting across Pacific in one. Southern/northern latitudea another matter entirely. Boat really not suited for that, and Rimas even less so.

Screw the KonTiki association with Rimas' Great American Adventure. We're talking a real-life nautical "NASA Space Monkey"!

I agree with the "lets see if we can teach him from here" and monitor his improvement idea. I know I presented this idea a while back and it was slammed as Rimas doesn't seem to want to take advice but hunger can often leave the student more pliable allowing us to steepen his learning curve.

It would be like driving a radio controlled boat and Rimas could be the hamster.

Rimas Meleshyus
Mon Oct 20 2014

Hello to my riends! at night it huge sqealls my turn to the east just about 11 min only. Guys who are new online please read about me in cruing world magazine

What? Turn to the east? Huh?

David, I think the lessons will just have to be presented with the proper spin to gain Rimas's buy-in. $$$$cash rewards. "pay to learn" rewards collectable upon improved sailing performance (as determined by an approved committee) and arrival at destination specified at the beginning of the lessons (by teh committee). We will need a small impartial committee and establish at least 3 rules but no more than 3. Rules anyone?

Rimas Meleshyus
Mon Oct 20 2014

Heading: S

Translation: Last night he had to run off before a squeal, but only for 11 minutes. Then he was back on course for Kiribati at 4 mph.

Rimas Meleshyus

Mon Oct 20 2014

Easier to run off in a short squall than to reef or drop sails. Squalls in tropics often very short.

David, I think the lessons will just have to be presented with the proper spin to gain Rimas's buy-in. $$$$cash rewards. "pay to learn" rewards collectable upon improved sailing performance (as determined by an approved committee) and arrival at destination specified at the beginning of the lessons (by teh committee). We will need a small impartial committee and establish at least 3 rules but no more than 3. Rules anyone?

..my offer still stands......he's got my $50 if he can draw an approximate** 'star' shape on the Delorme within any 24hr period

.........**...ie 5 distinct course directions,,,,>10 minutes each would do it

....I'd be very happy if he claimed this prize,even unintentionally,,,,but he'd have to turn on the Delorme for a while :mellow:

Whoever it was upthread that compared Rimas to a NASA space monkey owes me a new keyboard.

Whoever it was upthread that compared Rimas to a NASA space monkey owes me a new keyboard.

......I'd think those monkeys were relatively well trained :mellow:

If the current map has any validity, No Hook has been set east in the counter current for the last 3 degrees of latitude. This has allowed him to ease the sheets a bit - and sail a slightly more open angle.

Looks like he may need to sheet in a bit soon - or his heading may drift westerly a bit.

Wind:

post-18173-0-41158000-1413836972_thumb.jpg

Current:

post-18173-0-22015800-1413837000_thumb.jpg

It's tricky to read the "still" current image. Here is the motion picture:

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/ocean/surface/currents/orthographic=-150.8,5.98,3000

My rule: anyone who attempts to ruin this thread by teaching Rimas to sail should be banished from the forum.

If the current map has any validity, No Hook has been set east in the counter current for the last 3 degrees of latitude. This has allowed him to ease the sheets a bit - and sail a slightly more open angle.

Looks like he may need to sheet in a bit soon - or his heading may drift westerly a bit.

Wind:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Current:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

It's tricky to read the "still" current image. Here is the motion picture:

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/ocean/surface/currents/orthographic=-150.8,5.98,3000

I'm pretty sure Rimas won't had the smarts to allow for set and drift. He may well get caught low of his destination in the last days of his approach… then he'll really need those upwind sailing lessons

...the great thing about this big,big world is that there's always new 'fans' to appeal to.

. 'must read'......indeed :mellow: .....

Rimas Meleshyus
Mon Oct 20 2014
12:40 PM
Continue my massage to getting know more you must to read in cruising world magazine 2012. November issue article solo in a san juan 24 onward. To the impossibl
Speed: 5.0 mph
Lat: 5.933025
Lon: -150.844925

I'm guessing most of his fan club has never seen Cruising World, nor even a sailboat for that matter.

I'm guessing most of his fan club has never seen Cruising World, nor even a sailboat for that matter.

...it might be a bad promotional decision to let them see what -sailing- looks like :mellow:

I guess I'll have to own that one. Where should I send the replacement?

Passage weather is predicting headwinds for Rimas over the next few days.

I guess I'll have to own that one. Where should I send the replacement?
Naw, it was worth the laughter. Made my day.

...the great thing about this big,big world is that there's always new 'fans' to appeal to.

. 'must read'......indeed :mellow: .....

Rimas Meleshyus

Mon Oct 20 2014

12:40 PM

Continue my massage to getting know more you must to read in cruising world magazine 2012. November issue article solo in a san juan 24 onward. To the impossibl

Speed: 5.0 mph

Lat: 5.933025

Lon: -150.844925

TO INFINITY AND BEYOND!!!

Passage weather is predicting headwinds for Rimas over the next few days.

Well, this is it, then. The moment we've all been waiting for. Will he sail to wind, or will he decide that he actually meant to do an eastward circumnavigation?

Do you know guys i am fluenty in japanese language ? that s why i want to sail to japan niigata and hahhodate port located the sea of japan me invited

Fluenty.

Fluentish?