• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
buys737

Sailing around the world in a San Juan 24

The sense of urgency in this one really comes through

i lost it

ilostit_zpsb08f7c0c.jpg

....poignant.

........this one really brings it home how close to the edge this bloke is :mellow:

.........I hope things work out,,,would -definitely- prefer to be totally wrong about how this whole thing seems :unsure:

.....but I've been totally wrong -many- times.......SAIL-ON!!!** :)

.............**....not that you've got a choice!! :blink:

...now I wonder if the fundraising was a good idea.

...he got some boat-bux,,,not sure how he used them,,,,,,would he have carried on anyways without the bux$???..........or are we now -complicit- to his possible demise?? :huh::blink:

...he got some boat-bux,,,not sure how he used them,,,,,,would he have carried on anyways without the bux$???..........or are we now -complicit- to his possible demise?? :huh::blink:

...similarly,,if I were to give a known schizophrenic a knife,,,and he goes on a slashing spree,,,

,,,,,,does someone wonder where the knife came from???? :mellow:

...........questions worth asking

From his DeLorme tracker/communicator thingy:

Rimas Meleshyus

Tue Mar 18 2014

12:06 PM

Hello i problem all main sail need to repair i do not have tools i use only storm jib takes to get san francisco long time may be in april of the end

Speed: 4.4 mph

Heading: N

Elev: 1 ft

Lat: 33.678556

Lon: -132.954311

He types a slightly more coherent sentence than Woody. Slightly.

His spelling is better than Snaggies' too - a LOT better.

Check out the charts from the Ocean Prediction Center and the animated Earth Wind gif. For him to make SF from 132W, he needed to be up around 39-40N in Gale Alley.

Clove Hitch reminded me of this:

Kent’s increasing fame was his passport to New York’s high society, where he met a woman who bewitched him with her beauty and rebellious nature. The stormy affair that followed left him dazed and distraught. “If there’s a worse place than New York City,” he declared, “I will go there.”

The artist signed on as a clerk on a freighter bound for Chile and developed a vague scheme to brave the legendary hazards of Cape Horn. After transforming an old lifeboat into a sailing vessel and then abandoning it in Admiralty Sound, Kent and a colleague crossed through a mountain range on foot to Ushuaia, the southernmost city in the world.

There, he rented a small sloop and somehow convinced a Swedish settler named Christopherson to guide him through the intricate, uncharted waterways of the Wollastons, the most exposed islands of the archipelago.

Maybe Rimas will meet a chick in Cali...what a story!

http://clubs.plattsburgh.edu/museum/rka_tdf.htm

The only woman he's going to meet on the west coast of the Americas is going to be a senorita cross-gendered Chilean coal-shoveling navvy.

Modified.

If he's "cooking a rice" as in singular, I wonder if he's rationing his food. :)

Dude, I wasn't able to see the photos you were attaching until I got on the home computer. I totally laughed my ass off. Brilliant!

my shoes too

myshoestoo_zpsdaa8c00a.jpg

What kind of a fool sails across an ocean without rain gear? A scrappy adventurer pushing the limits or a clueless fool?

If he's "cooking a rice" as in singular, I wonder if he's rationing his food. :)

ude, I wasn't able to see the photos you were attaching until I got on the home computer. I totally laughed my ass off. Brilliant!

I deserve no credit. The words are his and naturally poetic. i am ohey

my shoes too

What kind of a fool sails across an ocean without rain gear? A scrappy adventurer pushing the limits or a clueless fool?

"my shoes too"

That last line really does make it. "Everything" includes shoes, but the shoes required special emphasis. It puts you in his moment.

my shoes too

"my shoes too"

That last line really does make it. "Everything" includes shoes, but the shoes required special emphasis. It puts you in his moment.

There is a quiet, deep pathos to his lines. Readers notice poignant emotions such as a sense of longing for simple comforts. Longing, but not complaining. His sense of fatalism is admirable. With so much being out of his control this fatalism is understandable. Nevertheless, this grim resignation is cracked by hints of optimism and wonderment, "i am lucky" or "i love sailing!" Some of his lines appear to mere factual observations, "it s raining now." In reality these simple, direct lines show us a man grappling with madness and using the mundane as an anchor. He reaches out the best he can "Happy fraday araund the world" but knows he must make his way alone. We are all adrift in one way or another. The challenge is to be able to say "i am ohey." That is the existential affirmation we all crave when confronted by the abyss of an indifferent universe.

my shoes too

The same kind of fool who sets out across the Pacific on a $500 daysailor.

He's going to be lucky to make it to his next birthday.

my shoes too

The same kind of fool who sets out across the Pacific on a $500 daysailor.

He's going to be lucky to make it to his next birthday.

He'll make it! His spirit runs strong

Hmmm, the folks who are so quick to poke fun at Rimas should have been just as quick to send him a few bucks. He might have some wet gear if you had.

People have crossed oceans in much smaller boats. I remember a Japanese sailor arriving in Vancouver in the 80's from Japan in a boat similar to a SJ24. At that time, everyone admired his bravery. There was a period where everyone was trying to cross the Atlantic in the smallest boat - some of those efforts were much more sketchy than what Rimas is attempting.

Rimas is doing what he wants to do. He had enough money donated in Hawaii to jump on a commercial flight to anywhere. He decided to sail his boat back to the US. It is pretty easy to type something on a keyboard, or add some text to an image in photoshop. Not so easy to sail a SJ24 across an ocean.

I think you have forgotten that he was really not prepared to do any of the sailing that he has done. Many told him to get more done before he left. He has a better chance of death than most.

Hmmm, the folks who are so quick to poke fun at Rimas should have been just as quick to send him a few bucks. He might have some wet gear if you had.

People have crossed oceans in much smaller boats. I remember a Japanese sailor arriving in Vancouver in the 80's from Japan in a boat similar to a SJ24. At that time, everyone admired his bravery. There was a period where everyone was trying to cross the Atlantic in the smallest boat - some of those efforts were much more sketchy than what Rimas is attempting.

Rimas is doing what he wants to do. He had enough money donated in Hawaii to jump on a commercial flight to anywhere. He decided to sail his boat back to the US. It is pretty easy to type something on a keyboard, or add some text to an image in photoshop. Not so easy to sail a SJ24 across an ocean.

It's my fault he is crossing an ocean without foulies because I didn't send him some bucks? Are you fucking kidding me?

Looking at the global animated wind map, he looks to be sailing fairly hard upon the wind, in an attempt to get on approach to San Fran.

Is this your take on it?

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-126.68,30.14,1123

https://share.delorme.com/RimasMeleshyus

Thats kind of my point. On port from 32n 130w he cant lay SF with that wind direction. Hes going to need a big southweterly (aka nasty cold front) to get him north.

Looking at the global animated wind map, he looks to be sailing fairly hard upon the wind, in an attempt to get on approach to San Fran.

Is this your take on it?

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-126.68,30.14,1123

https://share.delorme.com/RimasMeleshyus

.......much better tracking than about anything downwind on those

my shoes too

"my shoes too"

There is a quiet, deep pathos to his lines. Readers notice poignant emotions such as a sense of longing for simple comforts. Longing, but not complaining. His sense of fatalism is admirable. With so much being out of his control this fatalism is understandable. Nevertheless, this grim resignation is cracked by hints of optimism and wonderment, "i am lucky" or "i love sailing!" Some of his lines appear to mere factual observations, "it s raining now." In reality these simple, direct lines show us a man grappling with madness and using the mundane as an anchor. He reaches out the best he can "Happy fraday araund the world" but knows he must make his way alone. We are all adrift in one way or another. The challenge is to be able to say "i am ohey." That is the existential affirmation we all crave when confronted by the abyss of an indifferent universe.

...rather unbelievable all this.

Ramos set off from alaska,,,umm what time of year?.....with...no...fowlweather...gear :mellow:

...Clove,,I think you've found your calling!...better hope Ramos stays alive t'keep the material coming! <_<;)

....I find this story rather compelling on a # of fronts,,,

...there IS fun to be made when you hear some of the absurd details of this (hopefully not mis-)adventure.

........I cheer for him in his foolish bravery and naivette!

......I wake up at night and check the weather,,,,send thoughts of good hope--some would say prayers :mellow:

...I pitch-in some bux,,,,then wonder if that makes me -complicit- to his possible demise :o

..........and am comforted to realize,as you say, we sent just enough for him to jump on a plane,,,

..................but he chose to sail on :wacko:

...this guy has touched a realm that I have never dared...for me the fears and associated complexities of preparation keep me on the couch :(

...........indeed,,,Sail-ON,,,Rimas!!!,,,,be safe!

In his latest update he says there is a gale coming his way. Hopefully he'll survive it like he did the others! From today:

is dangerous

isdangerous_zps2ef4fa5d.jpg

This is officially my new favorite thread. HR was a poser compared to this guy! Go Rimas! (or not).

I love his track, hes gone 2 miles backwards today.

Diagnosis: Russian (chronic).

See, my ancestors (Irish) simply drank themselves to death. It was slow, but you got there in the end. It takes a Russian to think up a revolver with five empty chambers, each more dreadful in its tomorrows than the pregnant sixth, which at least contains the gift of oblivion. Who fears the gale that might tear apart the little boat of your soul? When the alternative is a flat sea and empty sails, and you are borne along by currents you cannot fathom. The outcome is the same, none escapes alive, defiance is low comedy. You step out in front of the train because, if this one doesn't kill you, there will be another and another and another.

Holy crap...someone else has actually read Dostoevsky.

I took three semesters of Russian just because I couldn't believe the literature could be so grim, so nihilistic in its original tongue. Surely it was a problem of translation.

Nah. It's even grimmer in Russian. It goes beyond fatalism. It's like self-flagellating defeatism, with occasional bouts of good cheer because today is not so bad, tomorrow will be worse, oh well. (The Fur Hat was pretty hilarious, in a "OMG we live in a place so fucked up, this lunacy could actually happen" kind of way. "One tom cat, medium fluffy.")

It's my fault he is crossing an ocean without foulies because I didn't send him some bucks? Are you fucking kidding me?

Whenever anything goes wrong these days it's someone else's fault.

Didn't you know?

No, I just think you should not be trying to use his story as a plank for humour. This guy is different from HR, Reid, Abby S., and the rest who very much deserved whatever they got from us by being boastful, self-promoting or arrogant about what they were doing. Rimas appears to be the opposite of that. He's not asking for help, not self-promoting, not anything like the people on the SA humour list. Sure, he's not doing something that is safe. Why not just leave him alone.

His English is poor, and the "humour" here is about ridiculing someone's weak English skills. Fun is fun, but I just don't think this guy deserves this.

That's all.

Dash,

Now that he's really not in the north Pacific, but slowly drifting into the tuna fishing grounds off of Mexico, his primary risk is water and food...and running over the Cortez Bank on a big day. He ain't going to make SF, but if he were to put the bow down, maybe he could hit Ensenada. If I were him, that would be my plan A, in English or Russian, and I speak both.

Ok, check this out:

I am lucky i found it extra main sail it old but it s works

How exactly does one lose or forget about, and then "find" a spare mainsail inside of a San Juan 24?

Am I the only one that finds this humorous?

Having owned a SJ24, no you aren't! :lol:

Dash,

Now that he's really not in the north Pacific, but slowly drifting into the tuna fishing grounds off of Mexico, his primary risk is water and food...and running over the Cortez Bank on a big day. He ain't going to make SF, but if he were to put the bow down, maybe he could hit Ensenada. If I were him, that would be my plan A, in English or Russian, and I speak both.

I don't know, 544 nm to go to SF at 65 degrees from his current position, according to Google Earth. Wind direction should be around 160 degrees or less. That makes SF a very tight reach, going to a beam reach as he gets closer to land. He might be able to do it, especially now that he found a spare main. How did he not know he had that? Maybe he thought he left it in Hawaii?

This poster raised that very issue somewhere above.

This poster raised that very issue somewhere above.

......well,'this' ,,,I got over it :mellow:

...thanks Dash(below)...,,,makes sense''

....I find this story rather compelling on a # of fronts,,,

...there IS fun to be made when you hear some of the absurd details of this (hopefully not mis-)adventure.

........I cheer for him in his foolish bravery and naivette!

......I wake up at night and check the weather,,,,send thoughts of good hope--some would say prayers :mellow:

...I pitch-in some bux,,,,then wonder if that makes me -complicit- to his possible demise

..........and am comforted to realize,as you say, we sent just enough for him to jump on a plane,,,

..................but he chose to sail on

...this guy has touched a realm that I have never dared...for me the fears and associated complexities of preparation keep me on the couch :(

...........indeed,,,Sail-ON,,,Rimas!!!,,,,be safe!

No, I just think you should not be trying to use his story as a plank for humour. This guy is different from HR, Reid, Abby S., and the rest who very much deserved whatever they got from us by being boastful, self-promoting or arrogant about what they were doing. Rimas appears to be the opposite of that. He's not asking for help, not self-promoting, not anything like the people on the SA humour list. Sure, he's not doing something that is safe. Why not just leave him alone.

His English is poor, and the "humour" here is about ridiculing someone's weak English skills. Fun is fun, but I just don't think this guy deserves this.

That's all.

Relax, Dash.

I don't think any of this humor is malevolent in intent. It's good-natured ribbing, because the guy really set off woefully unprepared and may yet cause some havoc for rescue personnel. The jury is still out.

I also suspect his English isn't that bad. Some of his blurbs give the appearance of a guy trying to type in the dark, while Mother Nature hands him his ass, and he's just not going back to correct the typos, and that's ok. It does make for comedic fodder, though.

I admire Rimas for giving the middle finger to "conventional" society, and taking off on his adventure instead of being a wage-slave, with a wife, 2.5 kids, and a Chevy Suburban in the driveway.

I do NOT admire Rimas for grossly exceeding the boundary of common sense, and setting off so unprepared.

If he survives this (and I think he will), I really hope he/we/someone can help him scrape up a better boat, and some better gear. In fact, I have some old foulies that I can donate.

Not to mention, I hope some people sit down with him, and teach him how to sail more effectively, and how to keep making way at night, instead of giving up his hard-won gains during the day.

Just checked on him this morning. he has made about 20 miles NNW since sometime Tuesday. Its going to be a long haul for him. I wonder how much water he has. I am assuming a 50 dollar boat does not come with a water maker. If he is a smart man (in question) and the weather pattern holds he will at some point have to decide to either turn around or head to south america.

Ok, check this out:

I am lucky i found it extra main sail it old but it s works

How exactly does one lose or forget about, and then "find" a spare mainsail inside of a San Juan 24?

Am I the only one that finds this humorous?

Having owned a SJ24, no you aren't! :lol:

main sail storage

That must be a picture of his fo'c'sle

Just checked on him this morning. he has made about 20 miles NNW since sometime Tuesday. Its going to be a long haul for him. I wonder how much water he has. I am assuming a 50 dollar boat does not come with a water maker. If he is a smart man (in question) and the weather pattern holds he will at some point have to decide to either turn around or head to south america.

A 50$ boat usually is a water maker.

That's all.

Relax, Dash.

I don't think any of this humor is malevolent in intent. It's good-natured ribbing, because the guy really set off woefully unprepared and may yet cause some havoc for rescue personnel. The jury is still out.

I also suspect his English isn't that bad. Some of his blurbs give the appearance of a guy trying to type in the dark, while Mother Nature hands him his ass, and he's just not going back to correct the typos, and that's ok. It does make for comedic fodder, though.

I admire Rimas for giving the middle finger to "conventional" society, and taking off on his adventure instead of being a wage-slave, with a wife, 2.5 kids, and a Chevy Suburban in the driveway.

I do NOT admire Rimas for grossly exceeding the boundary of common sense, and setting off so unprepared.

If he survives this (and I think he will), I really hope he/we/someone can help him scrape up a better boat, and some better gear. In fact, I have some old foulies that I can donate.

Not to mention, I hope some people sit down with him, and teach him how to sail more effectively, and how to keep making way at night, instead of giving up his hard-won gains during the day.

I'm enjoying Clove Hitch's efforts with Rimas' poetry and don't feel a bit bad about it.

You can explain to him how to sail, but something is badly broken in a person who does not understand why that's important before taking off. I don't think it's fixable. He is who he is and he's not going to change. He seems harmless enough, except to himself and possibly some rescuers.

I still think donations are better directed toward other ways to promote sailing or to a Rimas rescue fund.

...this pic's -begging- for use in an.... 'all fool-one boat' thread :mellow:

gallery_4352_891_14809.jpg

I think this one qualifies for the "even my foot is wet" Ohey?

I think I'm going to make huge posters of these pics for my man cave.

As long as they are open source?

Nah, the NSA will be on your ass as soon as you put them up. Better put up flags and stuff.

I think I'm going to make huge posters of these pics for my man cave.

As long as they are open source?

Nah, the NSA will be on your ass as soon as you put them up. Better put up flags and stuff.

I'm, perhaps naively, confident that the NSA can't come check my choice of wall hangings north of the border. Although the activity I witnessed during the G8 &G20 a few years ago does leave me open to the possibility.

I think I'll risk it. These pics are worth it.

I see fucking poetry everywhere now,,,, :)

couch.jpg

edit- crap, screwed up the line formatting in couch's poetry. sorry didn't notice until too late

Edited by Dex Sawash

.....awww,shucks,,Dawash^^

..................not sure whut t'say :mellow::(

............emoticons aren't cutting here for once--need to add a little tear to the 2nd one!

This whole thing somehow moves me......

Oh dear…you almost had me but I just had a flash of Peter Sellers in `Being There' (on a SJ24).

Oh dear…you almost had me but I just had a flash of Peter Sellers in `Being There' (on a SJ24).

He wouldn't be on the boat. He liked to watch.

He wouldn't be on the boat. He liked to watch.

It's us then!!

What's going to happen when he lands in Mexico and can't pay the port tax?

If he lands at Ensenada I will provide assistance. Go Rimas, GO!

My plan is to proceed to the Mediterranean, buy a Superyacht crewed by top female models and follow the sun.

If you guys don't all pony up, you will be responsible for my ultimate, inevitable failure.

At this point, I have enough money to buy a plane ticket to pretty much anywhere, but I choose to follow my dreams. My fate is in your hands; don't let me fail or it will be on your conscience.

And don't you DARE make fun of my dream!

My plan is to proceed to the Mediterranean, buy a Superyacht crewed by top female models and follow the sun.

If you guys don't all pony up, you will be responsible for my ultimate, inevitable failure.

At this point, I have enough money to buy a plane ticket to pretty much anywhere, but I choose to follow my dreams. My fate is in your hands; don't let me fail or it will be on your conscience.

And don't you DARE make fun of my dream!

Rimas = charity case. You = twit. Take your dream to Reid Stowe Anarchy. Let us know how it goes.

Rimas = charity case. You = twit. Take your dream to Reid Stowe Anarchy. Let us know how it goes.

Adjust your sarcasm detector, sailor.