buys737

Sailing around the world in a San Juan 24

Of course Rimas isn't the first guy to cross an ocean on a completely unsuitable boat. In the 1930s, a Latvian immigrant sailed a modified 18-footer from Australia to the US, stopping at some islands along the way, navigating with a homemade sextant.

Of course Rimas isn't the first guy to cross an ocean on a completely unsuitable boat. In the 1930s, a Latvian immigrant sailed a modified 18-footer from Australia to the US, stopping at some islands along the way, navigating with a homemade sextant.

The ability to use a sextant implies some level of preparation. The ability to build one implies more.

Buying a car GPS... not so much.

The ability to use a sextant implies some level of preparation. The ability to build one implies more.

Buying a car GPS... not so much.

tumblr_mr64h2p68v1sxm63yo1_500.gif

We have to remember that he is pulling the sails down at night, sleeping and drifting. He is making more distance towards the south at night than he can make up for in the day.

He needs to just go with the flow and make for ole Mexico.

.....^ as the various train-wreck threads have shown,,,,the subject often prevails beyond our collective expectation.

...let's not be surprised if he still makes that 'date' in SF,,,,,C'mon Rimas---show them wrong!! :)

gallery_4352_891_373116.jpg

I tried to use font size to capture how he must now be pushing to the back of his mind the thought that it is growing increasingly unlikely that he will reach the warm embrace of Jean Mondeau. For Rimas, there will be no "do on boat."

Love it!

For me, it is the poetry of his updates that redeem him. Gives a needed adjunct of suffering/misery/hope to what would otherwise be just some total fool out in the world.

Setting off to cross an ocean in Winter without rain gear? That's like setting off to cross the desert in summer without a sun hat.

And just that would make it easy to dismiss him as a mad Russian or developmentally disabled window licker-- except for the poetry. I won't repeat my snippet of literary analysis, but that poetry is where folks can forget he is a feckless, bewildered gobshite and really see the man balls deep into adventure. Well, it's more like adventure is balls deep into his anus, but no matter.

Either way, it is compelling.

By the way, check out this bad ass "Falcon" rain suit for 8 bucks. What kept him from buying such gear? Lack of funds or something else?

201-250-Yellow.jpg

HA... I have 3 of those on board for newbies that just can't quite get the concept of spring weather in the mountains.. 2 have been used......

For the last 17 days, rimas has made 20.5 miles per day distance made good (and not necessarily in the right direction.)

If he's "cooking a rice" as in singular,

One Grain At A Time, brothers.

________

Nah... "cooking a rice" merely shows that he learned English from the British where using words and phrases incorrectly and omitting much altogether has become so common they have taken to calling it "proper English."

The imperialists have grown so lazy that they can no longer form complete thoughts or sentences. "I am cooking a curry-based entrée" has morphed into "I'm cooking a curry..." as if the effort keep those last three syllables was altogether too much.

Given the criminally limited UI on the SPOT, slipping into millennial-speak is a natural progression. I'm surprised he bothered with "ing a" when "cook rice" would convey as much.

i've been following this guy on FB, praying that this is all a hoax...but it appears not. what is the worst are all his supporters on FB....cheering him on and telling him to call the coast guard if he gets in trouble... there are so many things wrong with that...

There is a quiet, deep pathos to his lines. Readers notice poignant emotions such as a sense of longing for simple comforts. Longing, but not complaining. His sense of fatalism is admirable. With so much being out of his control this fatalism is understandable. Nevertheless, this grim resignation is cracked by hints of optimism and wonderment, "i am lucky" or "i love sailing!" Some of his lines appear to mere factual observations, "it s raining now." In reality these simple, direct lines show us a man grappling with madness and using the mundane as an anchor. He reaches out the best he can "Happy fraday araund the world" but knows he must make his way alone. We are all adrift in one way or another. The challenge is to be able to say "i am ohey." That is the existential affirmation we all crave when confronted by the abyss of an indifferent universe.

Clove Hitch, I support your views and wish to subscribe to your newsletter!

He had a good streak to the NE from about noon until 11pm yesterday.

Is there any reason why LA (Long Beach) would be a bad place to try to put in?

Lest we forget, there is a solitary reason he abandoned his circumnavigation for the time being: he's horny! derp.png

Hottie in Hilo wouldn't put out on the SJ24 [women don't lie down in boats they can't stand up in] so she must have implied that "If you're ever in San Francisco..." yeah.gif

Rimas is returning from the sea for the same reason men have been coming home since time immemorial: pussy!

He had a good streak to the NE from about noon until 11pm yesterday.

Is there any reason why LA (Long Beach) would be a bad place to try to put in?

Lest we forget, there is a solitary reason he abandoned his circumnavigation for the time being: he's horny! derp.png

Hottie in Hilo wouldn't put out on the SJ24 [women don't lie down in boats they can't stand up in] so she must have implied that "If you're ever in San Francisco..." yeah.gif

Rimas is returning from the sea for the same reason men have been coming home since time immemorial: pussy!

...ahh,,so there -IS- a growing resemblance to the short-sheeted,no fry-pan adventure f.d.g.b.** afterall!!

....left from Npacific,,coast around for a while,,,pick up a toy boy,gal in SF,,,,,at least Rimas didn't fundraise for his

.....**... from days gone by

Apparently Jean is a dude.

No matter. Like my dad used to say, "it's all pink on the inside!"

________

Nah... "cooking a rice" merely shows that he learned English from the British where using words and phrases incorrectly and omitting much altogether has become so common they have taken to calling it "proper English."

The imperialists have grown so lazy that they can no longer form complete thoughts or sentences. "I am cooking a curry-based entrée" has morphed into "I'm cooking a curry..." as if the effort keep those last three syllables was altogether too much.

Given the criminally limited UI on the SPOT, slipping into millennial-speak is a natural progression. I'm surprised he bothered with "ing a" when "cook rice" would convey as much.

LOLZZZZZ!

i've been following this guy on FB, praying that this is all a hoax...but it appears not. what is the worst are all his supporters on FB....cheering him on and telling him to call the coast guard if he gets in trouble... there are so many things wrong with that...

Dropping a link to this thread in the comments could prove interesting...

Dropping a link to this thread in the comments could prove interesting...

In a weird kinda way he could actually use some of the clever picture/poetry posts to sell himself...

________

That's the truth. 1/2 my heritage is English and I lived in England on two occasions for 2 1/2 years in total but I have great difficulty in understanding the majority of "English" as spoken by them these days. It's gotten so bad that it has even begun to infest the BBC, once the standard of properly spoken English (the Queen aside).

As to the ubiquitous curry - "Av a bi' u bu'ah wiv i' " (Have a bit of butter with it)

English as she is goodly spoke indeed. Lazy, sloppy and ignorant - I doubt the majority of that country even know what the word elocution means. Thank God that Joanna Lumley still speaks properly so we have a standard to judge by.

As to the ubiquitous curry - "Av a bi' u bu'ah wiv i' " (Have a bit of butter with it)

I think you'll find that's just the chavs, pikies and oiks. White trash to you, well not just white trash, but certainly trash.

Oh my... someone sure thinks he's grand:

I would like to meet san francisco newspapers of reporters sailing no life raft no engine someone can call abaut me. Rimas thank you

Is this what happens when you sail alone for so long? The edge of madness?

I would like to meet san francisco newspapers of reporters sailing no life raft no engine someone can call abaut me. Rimas thank you

Ok, time for theme music then when he makes landfall....

...ohh gawsh,,,time for a press agent ,,,marketer ........and ghost-writer :mellow:

.......psychosis has a worldwide appeal :wacko:

lat 38 might be interested, but probably not for the reasons he is thinking. the real suprise of that message is that he still is going to try and make San Francisco..

lat 38 might be interested, but probably not for the reasons he is thinking. the real suprise of that message is that he still is going to try and make San Francisco..

...somehow I have a feeling that Lat and him would do very well together

......psychotic ocean wanderer becomes SF aging-hippy-chick magnet :rolleyes::lol:

...ohh gawsh,,,time for a press agent ,,,marketer ........and ghost-writer :mellow:

Oh dear, my impression of this guy as a humble sailing enthusiast who just wanted to get out on the ocean is fading fast. I was hoping he would just sail back to the mainland, park his boat somewhere and maybe have a good story to tell in the bar. Books? Reporters? WTF?

Oh dear, my impression of this guy as a humble sailing enthusiast who just wanted to get out on the ocean is fading fast. I was hoping he would just sail back to the mainland, park his boat somewhere and maybe have a good story to tell in the bar. Books? Reporters? WTF?

Near as I can figure out, Rimas wants to meet reporters who don't have life rafts or engines. Birds of a feather, I guess.

Myself, I'd be after a cold beer and some pussy after that trip.

Everyone seems to forget who they are and who Rimas is. You have to get down on his level.

It's easy to say "if I were him I would do this". Or "why doesn't he do that".

He has no idea of why, he just does. He turns on his Garmin Nuvi automobile purposed GPS and it points him to San Francisco. That's where he wants to go. He has no idea that he might not get there or why.

A person gets tired at night so might as well go to sleep. Pull over and get some rest. Continue on the voyage in the morning. Doesn't everyone do this? He most likely has no idea that that he is not in the same place in the morning as when he stopped sailing the night before.

He probably has no clew to how long a TransPac-Hi/mainland should take. probably doesn't care. It is easy for us to draw the line at 10 days westbound and 14 days eastbound. That would be like teleportation to Rimas.

He turns on his Garmin Nuvi automobile purposed GPS and it points him to San Francisco. That's where he wants to go. He has no idea that he might not get there or why.

...don't those things tell you when to turn left,,,right,,,,stop,,etc?!

....I think he's just following directions,no?

He turns on his Garmin Nuvi automobile purposed GPS and it points him to San Francisco. That's where he wants to go. He has no idea that he might not get there or why.

As far as the Nüvi is concerned, he is one seriously fucked up Aquacar.

As far as the Nüvi is concerned, he is one seriously fucked up Aquacar.

Doesn't he have one of those Delorme Inreach devices?

Around 330 miles left to SFO, but the going will be tougher if the northerlies re-establish. It looks like he might have another 2-3 days of westerlies, though. If he makes it in to SFO on this without having to do any more beating to weather, he'll be a very lucky bastard and he'll no doubt conclude that sailing from Hi to SFO is a downwind sail.

Everyone seems to forget who they are and who Rimas is. You have to get down on his level.

He has no idea of why, he just does. He turns on his Garmin Nuvi automobile purposed GPS and it points him to San Francisco. That's where he wants to go. He has no idea that he might not get there or why.

A person gets tired at night so might as well go to sleep. Pull over and get some rest. Continue on the voyage in the morning. Doesn't everyone do this? He most likely has no idea that that he is not in the same place in the morning as when he stopped sailing the night before.

He probably has no clew to how long a TransPac-Hi/mainland should take. probably doesn't care. It is easy for us to draw the line at 10 days westbound and 14 days eastbound. That would be like teleportation to Rimas.

I can relate, because my knowledge is maybe 2 steps up from his.

When/if he finally arrives, it would be great if some people met him, showed him his track, and explained all of this to him.

The question that burns in my head is- Does he want to learn? Is he open to input from other sailors, or does he think he knows everything he needs to know?

The guy has made it to Hawaii and back (Ok, almost). You'd think a month or two of crewing in Wednesday night races, and spending some nights at the pub with people who've raced to Hawaii, would boost his learning curve immensely.

When/if he finally arrives, it would be great if some people met him, showed him his track, and explained all of this to him.

The question that burns in my head is- Does he want to learn? Is he open to input from other sailors, or does he think he knows everything he needs to know?

The guy has made it to Hawaii and back (Ok, almost). You'd think a month or two of crewing in Wednesday night races, and spending some nights at the pub with people who've raced to Hawaii, would boost his learning curve immensely.

You would think that if he wanted to learn, he would have. It's not like his calendar is full of other stuff to do. There is lots of free advice out there, some of it good. Hell, heaving to for the night would be way better than just drifting, and that is equivalent to learning how to snowplow in skiing. Rimas comes across as simplistic, but I think it's closer to simple.

...my guess is that if there's press & aging hippy-chicks there to greet Rimas,,,he's got all the answers he needs,,

....might be more 'open' if he hits a mishap,,or lands on the barren coast of Chile,,,or even SF with no hippy-chicks!!!

"Good morning guys. Last time i met. Jean. Mondeau in 1992 in. Guam island i am happy to meet again this time in san francisco. Today the sea is calm"

"Please to remain seated most vigorously" :D

Great movie - one of Arkins best roles.

This is funny, but more importantly its very astute and true. The guy did what he wanted to and you cant take it away from him. At this point do to his success and luck, he's probably not open to 'learning' anything from others as he most likely thinks he is some sort of sailing savant and a 'natural'. I'm sure he would think that he has nothing left to learn as he already bought a 500 dollar boat and did it already.

It really reminds me of HR when he said he looked at thousands of boat designs, blah, blah, blah...

He is the demonstration sailing is not rocket-science, and he may make it to SF even doing everything wrong (I hope he'll be safe). And if he lands somewhere else, well he made it!

San Francisco= book

Los Angeles = movie

Mexico = margaritas

Two really big steps, from the perspective of someone who watched you take them.

There's a spectrum. At one end, people like my friend who would happily piddle about on his boat, read books, talk boats, or do most anything else boating-related EXCEPT actually cast off lines and go out. His wife was the only reason their boat ever left the dock.

At the other end is Rimas.

I disagree with Bligh about Rimas thinking he's a sailing "natural." I think he did not even put that much thought into it. He has no inclination to learn but a very strong inclination to cast off lines.

It takes all kinds and it does make him interesting.

Tom, that is certainly a fair assessment. I guess I don't get the impression that he would be open to 'learning' anything as he probably wouldn't be interested in the information.

Sorry, did I miss something? Have you folks actually met Rimas? There is a fair bit of character assassination going on here, not that that is particularly unusual on SA, for someone you haven't met and whose entire pronouncements on sailing amount to cryptic status messages typed on an Inreach device.. How did you folks conclude that Rimas is not open to learning about sailing? He's over 70, may or may not be computer literate, and managed to get himself to Hawaii on a shoestring budget. I wouldn't do what he did, but at least he did it.

If I'm wrong and you have met him and have reason to believe he's not interested in learning how to sail better, please indicate why you think so....

I can only imagine what I'd be typing on that device after 55 days at sea on an SJ 24....something like "get me the f____ out of here". :wacko:

Sorry, did I miss something? Have you folks actually met Rimas? There is a fair bit of character assassination going on here, not that that is particularly unusual on SA, for someone you haven't met and whose entire pronouncements on sailing amount to cryptic status messages typed on an Inreach device.. How did you folks conclude that Rimas is not open to learning about sailing? He's over 70, may or may not be computer literate, and managed to get himself to Hawaii on a shoestring budget. I wouldn't do what he did, but at least he did it.

If I'm wrong and you have met him and have reason to believe he's not interested in learning how to sail better, please indicate why you think so....

I can only imagine what I'd be typing on that device after 55 days at sea on an SJ 24....something like "get me the f____ out of here". :wacko:

...........something about his mention of reporters' and building delusions of grandeur can change attitudes of innocence to 'assassination' as you say :mellow:

Hang on, Dash. I ASKED (hypothetically) if he was open to learning, I didn't say he wasn't interested.

Interesting thing about his track- He's made a beeline NE since Tuesday, with no ground lost to the South. I wouldn't be surprised if he finally figured out that he can't just "pull over" for the night, and is either actively sailing at night, or at least tying off the tiller and letting the boat sail itself while he sleeps. It looks like he can make it to San Fran, if he keeps at it.

Dash, since you seem to have more information about Rimas than the rest of us, is he still navigating with a car GPS or did someone donate an old Garmin or something?

Oh- Now he's asking for charts covering from Cape Horn to South Africa!

...........something about his mention of reporters' and building delusions of grandeur can change attitudes of innocence to 'assassination' as you say :mellow:

No argument there, he's guilty of that. Funny how that one mistake completely changed our perception of the guy - he should have just quietly returned and waited to see if anyone noticed - if not, move on, nothing else to be done. That said, so far he's not yet been proven guilty of being unwilling to learn.

Hang on, Dash. I ASKED (hypothetically) if he was open to learning, I didn't say he wasn't interested.

Interesting thing about his track- He's made a beeline NE since Tuesday, with no ground lost to the South. I wouldn't be surprised if he finally figured out that he can't just "pull over" for the night, and is either actively sailing at night, or at least tying off the tiller and letting the boat sail itself while he sleeps. It looks like he can make it to San Fran, if he keeps at it.

Dash, since you seem to have more information about Rimas than the rest of us, is he still navigating with a car GPS or did someone donate an old Garmin or something?

I'll tell you one thing. After that many days of sailing, soaked through because of no rain gear, the inside of his boat probably smells like ham. Am I right?

Pressed ham:

pressed_ham.jpg

I haven't changed my perception about Rimas after his "reporter" request or his book hints. After all, how long has he been out there? The mind can wander far and wide with that much alone time.

I don't think there is anything wrong with what he has done or is doing. Different strokes for dif.....As I mentioned, I won't make the crossing in anything that will take longer than about 10 days. Fast is fun. But at the same time I will definitely buy Rimas drinks all night to hear the stories of his adventure. And during that story session I would never mention that there is a better way to do it.

Rimas may be the nicest guy in the world and be a man of great character for all I know. We also know he;

1) is woefully unprepared for this voyage in regards to safety and experience

2) has used handouts to fund his trip

3) has already used valuable coast guard resources to locate his position because of a 'I am in danger' call.

4) used a 'tom tom' to get to Hawaii

etc etc.

I dont think it's character assassination to point out these things.

I also don't think it's character assassination to hypothesize he isn't open to learning. You really think Rimas left Seattle without someone saying, "Hey the pacific ocean is a dangerous place, maybe you need more preparation". He has already admitted that guys told him not to go east from Hawaii, but he did it anyways. So yeah , I don't think he's open to learning from other people because he CLEARLY has already ignored sound advice.

Looks like he has another 30 hours or so of following winds before the northerlies set in again for another 30 hours or so.

Happy friday.

Need nautical charts from cape horn to capetown south.

Africa.

Thank you so much.

Rimas

Regarding his goal of rounding the horn from his facebook page;

" Ive crossed the horn many times and crossed the drake many as well with my job. its no place for this boat, and its no place to even really attempt a rescue as it puts others lives in danger as well. Its hard not to watch a trainwreck. I tried to tell him this when i met him in hawaii where he was pretty much begging for help in a polite fashion."

Another comment form someone who knows him;

"I've had talks with him. He brags about where he stays, showed me how much was in his wallet that he begged from other people. I do admire him for following his dreams, but I think probably deep down inside he's a con artist."

It was Bligh's post that bugged me. This one: "I guess I don't get the impression that he would be open to 'learning' anything as he probably wouldn't be interested in the information. " - not yours.

I have assumed that he has an InReach device, which displays GPS lat/long - it might also provide course and distance to go. It sounds like he has charts on board, and some idea how to use them, so he can at least plot a course if the InReach won't give him one directly.

I don't know anything more than anyone else who has been following this story on SA, though there is a lot that can be figured out by reading between the lines.

He has been extremely lucky with the wind direction for the last few days. The wind gods are smiling on him.

I suspect his status as a charity case is in serious jeopardy at this point.

dash

No argument there, he's guilty of that. Funny how that one mistake completely changed our perception of the guy - he should have just quietly returned and waited to see if anyone noticed - if not, move on, nothing else to be done. That said, so far he's not yet been proven guilty of being unwilling to learn.

...hope upon hope all his dreams come true...a -dock- full of reporters and aging hippie-chicks greet his arrival,,maybe have the fire-boat shooting-off,,that's be th'touch

,,,,charts are awaiting for the next -leg- of his journey,,,,,,

Regarding his goal of rounding the horn from his facebook page;

" Ive crossed the horn many times and crossed the drake many as well with my job. its no place for this boat,

...that's where crowd-funding and VO#8 enter the picture.

...or maybe team up with the pirate boat!? :)

Learning is a capacity that generally decreases with aging. this is a 70 yrs old guy, the best he can do is to stay alive, and he manage to do it against many odds.

This is a guy that is really fascinated by learning, and his story it's a demonstration of it. If he is capable of learning it's another point, but this doens't bother me much, he is 70 he can do what the hell he want even be be an ocena corssing psychotic.

here some learning lines from his facebook:

BETWEEN MEXICO AND HAWAII I SEE NO SHIPS,NO PLANES, NO WHALES. IT WAS MOST LONELINESS. BECAUSE I SEE NOTHING OUT THERE. JUST LONELY BEAUTY OF SEA. SOMETIMES I LOOK AT STARS FOR LONG TIME AT NIGHT. CLOUDS ALWAYS CHANGING AND COLORS AS WEATHER MOVES IN FROM THE NORTH.

I ALWAYS SCARED MAST COME DOWN AND NOBODY TO HELP AS I WAS SO FAR FROM PEOPLE AND LAND. WATER WAS LOW I FIND SCARY BUT THEN RAIN COMES AND I FILL BARRELS.

BUT SOMETIMES IT WAS PEACEFUL. I SAW ALL THINGS WEATHER AND EMOTION IN 84 DAYS ON THE SEA. I LEARN FROM SEA TO BE BETTER SAILOR.

VERY GREAT ADVENTURE IT WAS. SO MANY EXPERIENCE. I LOVE SEA AND SAILING. I ALREADY MISS THE SEA AND MUST CONTINUE. I BELONG TO THE SEA.

https://www.facebook.com/rimas.meleshyus/posts/226963714129202

Looks like several days of beating to weather at 2.5 knots for our hero. He might get some westerlies again in a day or so. I'll bet he's wishing he had used the westerlies to get further north now.

Around 330 miles left to SFO, but the going will be tougher if the northerlies re-establish. It looks like he might have another 2-3 days of westerlies, though. If he makes it in to SFO on this without having to do any more beating to weather, he'll be a very lucky bastard and he'll no doubt conclude that sailing from Hi to SFO is a downwind sail.

:)

Myself, I'd be after a cold beer and some pussy after that trip.

Well yeah, of course, but i wonder what freud would make of that?

I mean, 60+ days in a damp cave and the first thing you want to do...

My guess is he is heading south to continue around the horn to do his RTW trip. Hawaii was just a side track because with damaged rigging he only wanted to sail down wind. Now he is back to where he left off..

Rimas has horseshoes.... down wind towards SFO again. Incredible.

My guess is he is heading south to continue around the horn to do his RTW trip. Hawaii was just a side track because with damaged rigging he only wanted to sail down wind. Now he is back to where he left off....

Cape Horn in a SJ24?? Not good odds for a safe passage and ...

When you pull my other leg it plays `Jingle Bells'

My guess is he is heading south to continue around the horn to do his RTW trip. Hawaii was just a side track because with damaged rigging he only wanted to sail down wind. Now he is back to where he left off....

I think that what Tricky meant to say was:

Fuck off and show us your wife or girlfriend's tits!

I think that what Tricky meant to say was:

Fuck off and show us your wife or girlfriend's tits!

Good enough translation...

After all my time lurking you think I would know the protocol!

And I didn't say I thought it was a good idea to take an SJ24 around the Horn, I just said this bat-shit-crazy Russian was originally planning to until he lost part of rigging in a gale. The guy had stones to simply go west to Hawaii. I believe he had a "panic button" on his tracker he could have hit while off the west coast, but he didn't.. he jury rigged his rigging and went "down wind" 1100 miles for a repair.

Don't want to encourage crazy behavior, but if he makes it around the horn, I'm in for $50.

Too bad Robert Redford didn't have him along in that fucked up waste of film he called a movie...

post-107285-0-31482200-1396282937_thumb.jpg

Way to go Ivar

Velkommen

Actually, I think hes got the wind behind him at the moment. it looks that it will be downwind to SF for the next day or two. I think hes going to make it after all!

30 kts and 15'. Maybe he's getting used to it.

.....I think I can hear the scupper-suck sound all the way up here! :mellow:

.....I think I can hear the scupper-suck sound all the way up here! :mellow:

That's the sound of Rimas' rectum.

Was at Gorge Harbor Marina on Cortes Island in Canada today and saw a beat up SJ 24, I did many races on them back in the day and no fucking way would I want to be in the ocean w/ 30 knots on the stern, bow or beam. Good luck but what a bad scene if he takes any rescuers down w/ him for being crazy. Just Sayin!!!!

The surface wind model I'm looking at says 33 km/h at his location, which is a nice 18 kts downwind sail. Seems to agree with the NWS forecast. Where are you getting 30 kts from?

Looks like tomorrow our hero might be a lot of breeze though.

The surface wind model I'm looking at says 33 km/h at his location, which is a nice 18 kts downwind sail. Seems to agree with the NWS forecast. Where are you getting 30 kts from?

Looks like tomorrow our hero might be a lot of breeze though.

Like here: http://www.opc.ncep.noaa.gov/shtml/P_24hrwind_wave.gif

This s updated, not as windy, bigger waves.

So, our hero is now 75 nm out of SFO. He hasn't been able to do 75 nm in a 12-hour sailing day, so will he go extra slow tomorrow (like there is an alternative), stay well off the coast and hope he isn't run over by a ship or drifted into the shore overnight, or will he try for a night entry into the bay with no engine?

It might make sense to stay up tonight and sail, rest a bit in the morning (less chance of being run over in daylight) and then try for an afternoon entry when the wind is up. Or maybe sail to Catalina tomorrow and anchor overnight, then finish it off with an early start the next day. His biggest problem is trying to get in when there is no breeze.

He appears to be in light breezes right now, but fairly on the nose.

What is the entrance to SF Bay like? Simple? Treacherous?

I don't suppose any SF anarchists are considering going out to meet him?

Somebody get him a cheeseburger and a Coke and get it on video, when he arrives, please.

It's the second most dangerous entrance on the west coast.

Very dangerous. Just look at a chart and it is obvious, then add current , commercial traffic, fog and wind to the equation.

He appears to be in light breezes right now, but fairly on the nose.

...a dock-full of SA 'reporters'

...you can be sure he won't be arriving while the tide's ebbing

........I'm glad he's safe,,,beyond that I've got nuth'n but some morbid curiosity running......

..............he either has enough attention,,accolades,,hippy chicks to make SF home for a while,,

,,,or it's the horn with him :mellow:

Hopefully some kind soul will give him some rain gear before he heads out again!

Hopefully some kind soul will give him some rain gear before he heads out again!

...already gave him $30.....if he doesn't have raingear it's his own problem now afaik

So, our hero is now 75 nm out of SFO. He hasn't been able to do 75 nm in a 12-hour sailing day, so will he go extra slow tomorrow (like there is an alternative), stay well off the coast and hope he isn't run over by a ship or drifted into the shore overnight, or will he try for a night entry into the bay with no engine?

It might make sense to stay up tonight and sail, rest a bit in the morning (less chance of being run over in daylight) and then try for an afternoon entry when the wind is up. Or maybe sail to Catalina tomorrow and anchor overnight, then finish it off with an early start the next day. His biggest problem is trying to get in when there is no breeze.

You need to look at a chart. Catalina is 250 mi south of SF. You mean Santa Cruz maybe?