• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Harry Pattison

Ken Gardiner Passed Away

26 posts in this topic

Premier model maker Ken Gardiner passed away last night after a tough struggle with cancer. He will be greatly missed. Please pray for his wife and daughter.

This is very sad.

I'm so sorry.

+1

Fiddler's Green is host to his largest collection of Models

He was a Great and Talented Craftsman & Friend who shall be missed :-(

Enjoyed his 60th BD at NBYC (?) with sum Sailing friends form DAGO

Harry, Alex Kozloff just passed away too. Time is flying, my friend!

Very sorry to hear that. He was a good guy and a great model maker.

Condolences to the family.

Harry, Alex Kozloff just passed away too. Time is flying, my friend!

Yes I heard that yesterday. It was a hard day, I miss them both dearly

Ken made half model trophies for a NACRA Worlds back in the early '80s. It is by far my most cherished trophy of all time. I will continue to admire Ken's craftsmanship everyday.

Alex won back the Little America's Cup from Australia in 1976. He had a profound impact on the multihull scene in this country and will be sorely missed.

Bummer....Nice man...Condolences to his family. I was good friends with his dad Bud.

I'll give Spike a heads up to watch out for Ken. Spike would totally be into model making. Spike will show him the ropes. I want to think there is a special place in heaven for sailors.

Spike was good with models but he can learn a lot from Kenny.

post-2980-0-66149600-1378410827_thumb.jpg

Here's what would make my day/week/year/decade:

Publishing Ken's Roll-O-Dex of raw material sources!

I am an amateur model builder and a lot of what comes in kits is not so good.

Did he turn all his own winches? Or cast them? Or get them from some source?

Now that competition isn't an issue (I don't think it ever was; Ken stood alone on accuracy and art) anything that passes his knowledge down to the next generation of modelers seems like a fitting tribute.

Through the years I've sourced a lot of material from Kit Kraft in Studio City but they don't have much sailing-specific stuff.

Every day I get up and see a Kenny model of my 52. It's perfect, and his signature is branded in the left corner for all time. Prayers.

What a tough loss for his family and the sailing community. Ken will be missed but will be remembered every day when looking at the 20 or so Gardiner half models of Andrews designs on our office walls. He was the best model builder I know and it was a privilege to work with him when he had models to build for our clients. In addition to building models of the latest racers, Ken also had a sense of history. He once showed me a set of drafting tools used by Nick Potter, designer of the California 32, 1936 Olympic Gold winning 8M "Angelita" and other fast yachts from 1930's & 40's. Sail on Ken.

My dad has an express 37 half model, and I have a 505 half model from Gardiner. Both are beautiful, exact matches of colors and custom stripes.

They are priceless

Sad news. Keeping a good thought for Ken's family during this difficult time and sorry for the loss. Sail on and fair winds.

Post photos of your Gardiner models if you have any

Sad to hear that Ken has passed – he will be missed.

You asked for photos and this one shows two of my favorites. On top is US-55 the yacht that took back the Cup from the Aussies. This 12M yacht was built in 1986 by Robert E. Derektor Inc. and designed by Chance/Nelson/Pedrick. During a publicity event in Michigan I was able to get DC to autograph the backboard.

One the bottom is USA-11 the 1992 IACC AC yacht that lost the defender series finals to “Citizen Cup”, Bill Koch's America3 USA-23. When I purchased this half hull from Ken during a trip to SD the keel was a generic blade as he was not allowed to divulge the actual shape of what was going to be used for the race. After the race was over Ken contacted me and said that if I wanted to return the model to him, then he would re-keel the model with an accurate finned-bulb keel for me at no charge. I took Ken up on his offer.

post-54283-0-12972500-1378910036_thumb.jpg

Fair winds Ken. Never met you but always admired your work.

Have this one on our wall here in Texas. Always has been our favorite trophy...

post-672-0-84410700-1378920067_thumb.jpg

I bought a model from Ken when i was young kid for my dad as a birthday gift.

I called them up and he personally walked me through the whole process and was a real gentleman about it.

My dad still cherishes that model. Fair winds and a following sea Ken.

I've got his "Endeavor" but I really need to dust it off for pics. Hanging from the ceiling on fishing string, starboard tack.

Fair winds Ken.

I'll give Spike a heads up to watch out for Ken. Spike would totally be into model making. Spike will show him the ropes. I want to think there is a special place in heaven for sailors.

Spike was good with models but he can learn a lot from Kenny.

Ha, great shot Bob. Spike has an eye for a fine line.

I had the privlidge of knowing Ken and his dad. A visit to his shop was a facinating adventure!!! he and his guys, especially Roy were truly amazing. one of my favorites was a huge full model of the Pan Am Clippers built for an Airport client. the thing was huge. Ken always had time for visitors, RIP Ken, the comunity has a huge hole to fill.

Bump !!!!

SEA You there

Pix to follow !!!

Now returning to Newport Harbor after scattering Ken on a Beautiful Day !!!!!

KenGardiner0171.JPG