Barnyb

Team UK

You would have revelled in the free viewing opportunities at AC34.

AC35 more controlled?

No I wouldn't have revelled. The wrong team won.

I don't think we've any idea about viewing arrangements for Bermuda but it wouldn't surprise me if it was more controlled.

As far as ACWS Portsmouth goes, normally the best shore-side viewing areas have public access anyway. It might be that public access will be suspended, I believe it can be done although legal processes are needed. The same was involved for the Olympics at Weymouth as the ticketed area was normally a public park and the local joggers and dog walkers weren't delighted to lose their access. Anyway, it seemed worth the hassle of applying for free tickets so I have. It mostly seems like an exercise to harvest email addresses for people interested & a deluge of spam is awaited.

:)

no population, no need for control.

ACA, another coral atoll

excerpt from a nice piece

Raising the BAR

http://www.eurekamagazine.co.uk/design-engineering-features/technology/designing-a-cup-winning-yacht/74853/

BAR is therefore looking to use the simulation techniques developed in Formula 1 to find out how to get the best out of the boat, and that is new territory. Claughton said: "We are just in the process of working out what is the best way of getting our data to them. They are relying on us to give them a very accurate picture of how the boat performs. They are not doing any work that says how this boat will behave. We are telling them how the boat behaves and they are helping us create methodologies that will simulate the performance bit. So it is just about finding the right approach for the sailing simulator."

The actual design platform is Siemens NX, which was selected partly by default. Claughton had identified who he wanted to work on his design team and the platform of choice for those individuals was Siemens NX. Siemens PLM is now a partner of the team, who also use the company's Team Centre software.

Claughton explained why the BAR designers have gone down this route: "I think two reasons are apparent to me. The NX CAD is very good with surfaces and we have quite complex surfaces in terms of aerodynamic shapes. It is very important that these surfaces are well behaved when you get right to the edges of them and that is what NX does. It is very reliable with shapes. If you do an offset inside or outside it to make a mould it will do it. It won't crash.

"And the other thing is that we live in an environment where we are very quick to parameterise a problem, because we want to create geometries for CFD. Also if you have got the problem correctly parameterised you can do all the work in the 2D CAD, which is the lingua franca for the construction side of things. You can start the 2D drawing process much earlier in the piece."

^PR bullshit, all this stuff applies to Catia for instance.

The wing surfaces are fairly simple compared to what you can see on modern ships or yachts, and Andy Claughton blatantly knows it as it's been his job over the last decades :)

Any parametric CAD package can offset a surface to make a tooling.

^PR bullshit, all this stuff applies to Catia for instance.

The wing surfaces are fairly simple compared to what you can see on modern ships or yachts, and Andy Claughton blatantly knows it as it's been his job over the last decades :)

Any parametric CAD package can offset a surface to make a tooling.

The tools mentioned are good but may be overkill and/or dated as you suggest. His guys are familiar with that suite, and so it was an easy choice.

Lately I've been enamored with Aras PLM, and its CAD connectors, and including with Pacelab's latest implementation of it.

Ben Ainslie's Big Gamble

Can sailor Sir Ben Ainslie change history by creating the first British crew to win the America's Cup? After leading a US boat to victory in 2013, he decided to build a team in Britain from scratch. To do this he needs to raise £80 million, construct a purpose-built headquarters and inspire a local maritime workforce, all on the basis of his reputation and determination. Carolyn Quinn gets exclusive access to Britain's greatest competitive sailor and his team as they set about the task. And she asks if they will achieve their aim of leaving a lasting economic legacy for Portsmouth and the surrounding area.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b054gnrf

"After leading a US boat to victory in 2013..."

So the Kiwi press haven't got a monopoly on journalistic hyperbole then?

Glass half full. The BAR PR machine is a purring machine and surely the further £40M to be found will appear.

Glass half empty. The BBC spent 30 minutes on Radio 4, which generally provides quality programming, mindlessly repeating the PR brief handed to them.

Oh sorry I did not realise you were not familiar with the Brit press. Let me explain:

1. They "won the Footbal world cup" - in 1966

2. Their "Queen is fantastic" - not sure what she does, or has achieved, apart from oversee the UK go from the superpower to a weak 9th. Nice digs thou!

3. They "won the World Cup in Rugby" - some time ago (for those Americans not familiar with world cups, they are events where the whole world participates in a sport the whole world participates in - like soccer/football, rugby, cricket, .....)

4. They "rock in cricket"

post-33465-0-20866700-1425972449_thumb.jpg

post-33465-0-35009600-1425972458_thumb.jpg

2. Their "Queen is fantastic" - not sure what she does

Nothing, which is exactly what you want a Queen to do. You try sitting still and keeping quiet for 60 years. It's an achievement.

Her eldest son, if he ever takes over, seems liable to think he should do something. Then there will be trouble.

Anyway, the antipodes seem to get a lot more excited about the British royals than we do.

Glass half full. The BAR PR machine is a purring machine and surely the further £40M to be found will appear.

Glass half empty. The BBC spent 30 minutes on Radio 4, which generally provides quality programming, mindlessly repeating the PR brief handed to them.

Too cynical that half empty glass. I don't think that Aunty departed from their quality programming one bit. Maybe it's the BBC warming the audience up for some ACWS TV coverage this summer? There is nothing whatsoever wrong with BAR's ambition and the national broadcaster reporting on it.

I don't think it's "cynical" to hope the BBC would ask questions where questions are due. On the contrary I think it's cynical to be pleased that they did not. For example, in relation to the claimed payback on Valencia's investment in AC32, which went unchallenged.

I don't think it's "cynical" to hope the BBC would ask questions where questions are due. On the contrary I think it's cynical to be pleased that they did not. For example, in relation to the claimed payback on Valencia's investment in AC32, which went unchallenged.

The truth is that you don't like the fact that there is a little public money in this and you want to see any possible argument for it skewered? Listen to the piece again - all that was said was that 100s millions were brought into Auckland, Valencia and San Francisco and Sir Peter Mills quoted 7m visitors to Valencia - someone else quoted a figure of £2.8bn as the revenue to Valencia. The Spanish went nuts with public billions spent only to see the Cup get flown out of town. Nobody is promoting Spanish style profligacy with public money and I don't imagine that there'll be any more than the c£9m public money committed so nothing to challenge beyond that. As a broader point I thought the more interesting bit of the piece was the ambition to build a marine industry cluster like that that has grown up in the UK around F1. Real jobs in Portsmouth now and to come, ambition I applaud to create a regional F1 type technology power base, 100,000s coming to Pompey this summer and next and the very real prospect of BA bringing the AC to Hampshire - call me a dreamer, but don't confuse my belief in this with cynicism.

You are over-analysing my motivations. I want the BBC to be doing journalism not PR regurgitation. Particularly on Radio 4, which is meant to carry analysis. Simple as that.

You are over-analysing my motivations. I want the BBC to be doing journalism not PR regurgitation. Particularly on Radio 4, which is meant to carry analysis. Simple as that.

OK, so what specific questions would you have asked in the search for journalistic truth? Reportage is within the Beeb's remit. Where there's no Washington Post/Watergate job to be done any journalist would look stupid trying to do one.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Circus-Maximus-Economical-Hosting-Olympics/dp/0815726511/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425992974&sr=8-1would give a few ideas, I'd have thought. With the simple fact that fewer and fewer cities are bidding to host large sports event and that trend is visibly playing out in the AC35 cycle.

As for the UK F1 hotspot, it's an excellent thing. Didn't have much to do with public funding afaik.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Circus-Maximus-Economical-Hosting-Olympics/dp/0815726511/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425992974&sr=8-1would give a few ideas, I'd have thought. With the simple fact that fewer and fewer cities are bidding to host large sports event and that trend is visibly playing out in the AC35 cycle.

As for the UK F1 hotspot, it's an excellent thing. Didn't have much to do with public funding afaik.

WHOA! You are wandering way too far off from where this started. You wondered whether the BBC were "mindlessly repeating the PR brief handed to them". I thought not. Let's win the AC and then have the conversation about who, where, why host it. And who suggested that UK F1 expertise had flourished with the help of public money?! I didn't. BAR and others are looking to establish an F1 type global spectacle funded by investors and commercial money. If that happens (and I hope it does) it would be fantastic if a lot of that technology and manufacturing was based in Hampshire in the same way as F1 has found its way to Motorsport Valley.

You wondered whether the BBC were "mindlessly repeating the PR brief handed to them". I thought not.

Wasn't "wondering". Was asserting & still do. You could tick off point by point the funding objectives for the Portsmouth renewal money versus items covered. If I was writing the PR brief, that's the programme I'd have laid out. Forgive me if I decline to see that as a spooky coincidence. The BBC's treatment of the subject was as friendly as a Labrador puppy.

You wondered whether the BBC were "mindlessly repeating the PR brief handed to them". I thought not.

Wasn't "wondering". Was asserting & still do. The BBC's treatment of the subject was as friendly as a Labrador puppy.

Hurrah for the BBC if they are friendly to a very good thing. I hope they help promote sailing to millions getting their first exposure to the ACWS via tv this summer. Cynicism - An attitude of scornful or jaded negativity, especially a general distrust of the integrity or professed motives of others.

Which strikes me as exactly your handling of someone with views that differ from your own.

Which strikes me as exactly your handling of someone with views that differ from your own.

I simply can't see how the Beeb did anything wrong. If there's room for the Archers on BBC Radio 4 then there's certainly room for them to report to the country what BAR are trying to achieve in Portsmouth and in the wider region longer term. When BAR win and IF they invite Portsmouth to pony up a few hundred million you might find that my support for this venture looks like the tide ebbing out of Portsmouth Harbour.

Hurrah for the BBC if they are friendly to a very good thing. I hope they help promote sailing to millions getting their first exposure to the ACWS via tv this summer. Cynicism - An attitude of scornful or jaded negativity, especially a general distrust of the integrity or professed motives of others.

Why getting their first exposure? Do you mean new born babies? I seem to remember quite an exciting ACWS event in the UK not so long ago.

SKM never mentions it coincidentally - cause everything 'AC' is down to him and rent boy apparently.

Dogwatch, when I listened to the BBC piece it never even occurred to me that there was any boosterism at all intended. Perhaps your own experiences with issues over public monies simply colored your take on it?

Yes, there was little to no challenging of the boosterish numbers mentioned by interviewees in a few seconds of it but that subject was not really the overall focus of an interesting and wide ranging piece. I thought it was good quality, atmospheric, and detailed. Tip of the cap.

Dogwatch, when I listened to the BBC piece it never even occurred to me that there was any boosterism at all intended. Perhaps your own experiences with issues over public monies simply colored your take on it?

I think it's more likely that my experience and training in marketing made it entirely obvious. Also, I listen to many hours of Radio 4 a week and that piece was off-centre as to what the station does.

PA joins BAR

http://www.bymnews.com/news/newsDetails.php?id=144071

BAR's Team Principal and Skipper Ben Ainslie commented, "We don't underestimate the challenge ahead of us, the America's Cup is the oldest trophy in international sport, and over 162 years and 34 contests Britain has never won it. We are a first time challenger, and only one challenger has ever won it at the first attempt. So we are going to make a lot of history when we bring the Cup home, but we realise that we need all the help that we can get. That's why we have developed the Technical Innovation Group and why we are delighted to have PA Consulting Group onboard." The team is also delighted to be working with the UK government's GREAT Britain campaign to help attract the very best of British talent to the project, and to showcase British expertise overseas. Representatives from 20 world class British technology, design and engineering companies last week attended a forum on the TIG at the team's sailing base. More partners joining the TIG will be announced in the comiHelly Hansen invites Sailors to #JoinOurCrew
BAR's Team Principal and Skipper Ben Ainslie commented, "We don't underestimate the challenge ahead of us, the America's Cup is the oldest trophy in international sport, and over 162 years and 34 contests Britain has never won it. We are a first time challenger, and only one challenger has ever won it at the first attempt. So we are going to make a lot of history when we bring the Cup home, but we realise that we need all the help that we can get. That's why we have developed the Technical Innovation Group and why we are delighted to have PA Consulting Group onboard." The team is also delighted to be working with the UK government's GREAT Britain campaign to help attract the very best of British talent to the project, and to showcase British expertise overseas. Representatives from 20 world class British technology, design and engineering companies last week attended a forum on the TIG at the team's sailing base. More partners joining the TIG will be announced in the comiHelly Hansen invites Sailors to #JoinOurCrew

And here's a good piece in this morning's Telegraph http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/sailing/11466241/Martin-Whitmarsh-I-was-ready-to-retire-after-a-life-in-F1-then-Sir-Ben-Ainslie-rang-about-Americas-Cup.html?fb_ref=Default

This is a major statement of intent if anyone was in any doubt about BAR's ambition. Whitmarsh, Newey, the fella from Prodrive - these are serious people not happy coming second. Nobody got rich betting against Ben Ainslie and that was before global winners in motorsport started bringing their heft to this fight. Watch out OTUSA!

^

Which Prodrive fella, David Richards? Missed the reference

I keep being impressed. Grudgingly admit BAR is shaping up as the top challenger

^

Which Prodrive fella, David Richards? Missed the reference

I keep being impressed. Grudgingly admit BAR is shaping up as the top challenger

That's the fella

They have the brains trust alright. Good job Ben.

One question though, do they have the ££££ yet?

Half of it. No headline commercial sponsor to date. There's a lot of influential people involved, a bit less influential if Cameron isn't the next PM. How the election will go, nobody has a clue.

Was obvious, wasn't it after Newey joined the Team? These two guys (Newey & Whitmarsh) know how to win, don't they?

Not lately ;)

That news must be on millions of sites, it's (to me, anyway) amazing.

Somebody will have to shell out some serious bucks to be this team's headline sponsor.

Somebody will have to shell out some serious bucks to be this team's headline sponsor.

Martin will no doubt be an asset to bar, but McLaren under his leadership haven't won a race since 2012 or had a title partner...two of the reasons he was let go after five years as CEO....

Martin will no doubt be an asset to bar, but McLaren under his leadership haven't won a race since 2012 or had a title partner...two of the reasons he was let go after five years as CEO....

Not many people won other than redbull........driving Newey cars.....

As per above, Dennis and Whitmarsh ran their course...

Not many people won other than redbull........driving Newey cars.....

As per above, Dennis and Whitmarsh ran their course...

McLaren won five races in 2010,11,12 and then went in the wrong direction with chassis design which lead to Ron Dennis taking back control of the race team, Martin was at McLaren for 25 years....Ron would have done something a lot earlier if he couldn't stand him....

in all seriousness!!!

A *little* bit of myth making is almost like a spoonful of sugar when it comes to PR.

includes a vid

--

At the beginning of the year, Ben Ainslie Racing announced a new project with City College Southampton to build two specialised docking ribs. A team of 80 apprentices have been working hard at the College's Marine Skills Centre ever since. Just over two months into the project, National Apprenticeship Week was a good time for an update from City College's Darren Patten.

http://www.sailweb.co.uk/News/24534/ben-ainslie-racing--80-apprentices-working-on-rib-project

You win the war, you write the history.

They didn't win - and then they came in second.

^ BAR/Poms came 2nd?

Seems like they are rewriting history without even turning up.

My guess right now: BAR vs Artemis for the Challenger Finals.

My guess, BAR in the finals. Doesn't matter who the other team is, but OR needs to be put down and taken out of the game. The U.S. as represented by Larry and his minions, has at this time proven itself unworthy of the Cup.

...you mean Russell. You've got to beat RC.

And, from what I can tell, they have a head start this time around. Followed by Artemis.

Hopefully Martin will do better with Bar than he has done with McLaren .

They were not even a contender after Lewis left before last season and this year they are a complete joke.

They are off to their worst start since the team was formed .

McLaren are trying to clean house and make a change and Martin being let go is part of it.

McLaren finished 11 and 17th in todays season opener and only that " HIGH " do to many cars dropping out .

at http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/mar/14/adrian-newey-f1-red-bull-renault-engine

--

It is Newey’s hatred of politics that is another reason for his disenchantment with F1. Politics drove him out of McLaren and may have had a bearing on his decision not to join Ferrari, the most political of all teams, who last year were prepared to offer him a fortune, even by F1 standards, to move to Italy. Newey is still overseeing the design of the Red Bull, but is now devoting his time to other projects, such as helping design a boat for Ben Ainslie’s America’s Cup challenge.

“I felt ready to get involved in other areas, really,” he says. “So far it’s mainly been at the simulation level. We’re now getting to a point with the aerodynamics and layout and hydrodynamics of the boat as well, so I have started to get involved with that as well.”

at http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/mar/14/adrian-newey-f1-red-bull-renault-engine

--

It is Neweys hatred of politics that is another reason for his disenchantment with F1. Politics drove him out of McLaren and may have had a bearing on his decision not to join Ferrari, the most political of all teams, who last year were prepared to offer him a fortune, even by F1 standards, to move to Italy. Newey is still overseeing the design of the Red Bull, but is now devoting his time to other projects, such as helping design a boat for Ben Ainslies Americas Cup challenge.

I felt ready to get involved in other areas, really, he says. So far its mainly been at the simulation level. Were now getting to a point with the aerodynamics and layout and hydrodynamics of the boat as well, so I have started to get involved with that as well.

He thinks there's no politics in the AC?

They were not even a contender after Lewis left before last season and this year they are a complete joke.

McLaren are trying to clean house and make a change and Martin being let go is part of it.

McLaren finished 11 and 17th in todays season opener and only that " HIGH " do to many cars dropping out .

FFS Please get your facts right. K Mag did not finish 17th, he did not start. Only 15 cars started.

Lewis left McLaren after 2012, that's 2 seasons ago.

On a brighter note Martin's appointment seems a really good one and has woken me from my nautical hibernation. A few trawls of the net has revealed to me a talented team of winning sports speciallists. All look to be involved in the areas where they will have the most impact.

Martin Whitmarsh as CEO, a job he's done well in FI

Adrian Newey as design guru/consultant, one of the worlds leading fluid dynamics experts

Dave Richards and Prodrive, Engineering excellence firm that's moved on from building championship winning rally cars for Colin McRae and Richard Burns to the new European Mars Rover.

James Roche, who designed the skeleton sleds used by Amy Williams and Lizzy Yarnold to win Olympic gold in 2010 and 2014. He also designed a simulator to help the athletes train in a country that does not have a bob track. His job at BAR is to build a simulator!

In some ways to me it echos the approach used by the Sky Cycling team. Maybe they should compare notes.

P.S. I forgot another talent, the man himself BA, I hear he's won a few races.

Good luck to all of them.

--

It is Newey’s hatred of politics that is another reason for his disenchantment with F1.

I don't give that story any credit in at all. Everyone in Red Bull is playing that political game, Horner said the same thing pretty much word for word.

Strange they never mentioned a level playing field in 2010, 11, 12 or 14 when they won their championships.

Newey has complained about the restrictive design regulations and I believe that's more likely why he's fed up with F1. I remember Colin Chapman saying the same in 1981.

Am I wrong to think the weak link might be BA himself. He can't clone himself.

Shouldn't he be calling tactics before driving?

Or, if he drives, have they got a sailor on the payroll that he will listen to?

Or, are his skills so great, his boat so fast, he can simply do it all himself?

Perhaps the rocket scientists on the design team should wire his brain stem directly into the control systems - matrix like - and he can sit in a black pod on centerline surrounded by sensory inputs. Willing the ship to his bidding.

FFS Please get your facts right. K Mag did not finish 17th, he did not start. Only 15 cars started.

On a brighter note Martin's appointment seems a really good one and has woken me from my nautical hibernation. A few trawls of the net has revealed to me a talented team of winning sports speciallists. All look to be involved in the areas where they will have the most impact.

Adrian Newey as design guru/consultant, one of the worlds leading fluid dynamics experts

Dave Richards and Prodrive, Engineering excellence firm that's moved on from building championship winning rally cars for Colin McRae and Richard Burns to the new European Mars Rover.

James Roche, who designed the skeleton sleds used by Amy Williams and Lizzy Yarnold to win Olympic gold in 2010 and 2014. He also designed a simulator to help the athletes train in a country that does not have a bob track. His job at BAR is to build a simulator!

In some ways to me it echos the approach used by the Sky Cycling team. Maybe they should compare notes.

Work on that reading comprehension .

Lewis left before last season = he left two years ago . ( I have been following him since he was in GP2 )

last night at the end of the telecast they actually assigned 17th position to Magnusson .

Check any results page and you will see that is where they list him

Not even being able to start only reinforces the depths which Mclaren has fallen .

As for how well Whitmarsh did he must have taken the last two seasons off as McLaren has been a mere shadow of their former selves.

People thought Lewis was crazy for leaving them but he was crazy like a fox .

Work on that reading comprehension .

Lewis left before last season = he left two years ago . ( I have been following him since he was in GP2 )

last night at the end of the telecast they actually assigned 17th position to Magnusson .

Check any results page and you will see that is where they list him

Not even being able to start only reinforces the depths which Mclaren has fallen .

As for how well Whitmarsh did he must have taken the last two seasons off as McLaren has been a mere shadow of their former selves.

People thought Lewis was crazy for leaving them but he was crazy like a fox .

McLaren is an F1 team, it's never one persons fault for bad results but one reason must surely be Mercedes not supplying competitive engines since they knew McLaren would be using Honda engines in '15..

You must live in a bubble if you think this season is all McLarens fault, it's said they had 200bhp less than Mercedes in OZ, and word on the street is that the chassis is good and will be competitive once Honda get their act together...and they will...

Hamilton needed a change and got real lucky with his timing..

It's stadium sailing, for the benefit of tourists to the lovely city of Portsmouth. Where else could you run the racing?

Funny place to put a race course. We'll be lucky no one smacks into the fort...

It amazes me that anyone posting here thinks they've spotted a flaw that the pros running the event have overlooked. Team Origin includes a certain bloke who had overall responsibility for the delivery of the 2012 Olympic sailing - how did he manage without you?!

Funny place to put a race course. We'll be lucky no one smacks into the fort...

It amazes me that anyone posting here thinks they've spotted a flaw that the pros running the event have overlooked. Team Origin includes a certain bloke who had overall responsibility for the delivery of the 2012 Olympic sailing - how did he manage without you?![

Well quite, how indeed. It was just a bit of a joke.

From http://mobile.royalgazette.com/article/20150320/SPORT30/150329989
--

“The course is pretty small and it’s going to be a lot of manoeuvres to get down in those big, fast boats, so there’s going to be a lot of turning corners.

“It’s certainly not going to be like San Francisco where the racing was quite predictable. That’s not going to be the case here. It’s going to be a pretty open racetrack with lots of opportunities to make good gains and big losses, so I think [the America’s Cup] is going to be a very exciting time when it comes.”

Scott believes that the wing sail AC62 catamaran, to be used for the America’s Cup Qualifiers, America’s Cup Challenger Play-offs and America’s Cup Match, has the potential to go faster than the AC72 used in the 34th America’s Cup, when Oracle produced an amazing comeback to defend their title.

“Coming from sailing the AC72 [in San Francisco], the boats this time around are going to be far more advanced and hopefully as quick, if not quicker, than the AC72s were,” he said.

“The boats are amazing and there’s some incredibly amazing stuff going on behind the scenes to make sure they are running at their maximum potential.

“The boats are fast and the racing is going to be spectacular for sure, which kind of says a lot considering how much smaller they are going to be. The way the sport is going is awesome.”

Its a very impressive amount of very good people. They will for sure be able to think outside of the box. They could come up with some thing very interesting. The only thing missing for the moment is the lack of experience when it comes to design sail boats but I guess that they might be able to get some people for that too.

The sun lifts above the horizon and lights up another, glorious Bermudian day. Sailing Manager Jono Macbeth and Sailing Team Coach Rob Wilson are deep in conversation about the day's sailing plan. 'We've just taken on Rob as our full-time coach,' commented Macbeth, 'he comes from a high-performance background, racing the old Olympic catamaran, the Tornado, and has coached Extreme Sailing Series winners and Youth World Champions. We wanted Rob because he's got a very analytical mindset, an engineering and sailmaking background and great communications skills – all essential to coaching at this level.'

Alt_BAR22.jpg

Alt_BARs%20foiling%20multihulls%20ready%

However, no one had ever looked at the Great Sound with a view to racing 62 foot foiling America's Cup boats doing speeds that would cost you a driver's licence in an urban area. While charts were quickly unrolled, distances were measured, weather data was analysed and heads were scratched... everyone knew that there would be no substitute for actually sailing the race track.

http://www.sail-world.com/35th_America_s_Cup___Bermuda_training___Writing_the_playbook/132632

' By the time the first gun goes to start the racing for real, the team's playbook will hold an enormous amount of data. The assimilated knowledge of thousands of man-hours of sailing on the Great Sound will be brought to bear on all the tactical and strategic decisions that will decide the fate of the 35th America's Cup – and it all started here, and it all started this week.

^

Very good interview on the relationship between the GBR Olympic squad system and the AC. Interesting comments on the Bermuda course versus SF too. Tactics about windshifts not tides.

Another good BAR-related piece here. From:

Winds of change: Design at Ben Ainslie Racing

As the America’s Cup is as much a design race as a sporting one, one of the first job roles Ainslie wanted to fill was that of technical director and he knew the perfect man for the job — Andy Claughton, an experienced America’s Cup designer who has been involved with the competition since 1983. Ainslie met Claughton when they were both part of Team New Zealand for the 2007 America’s Cup.

“This is a great opportunity because in my lifetime the stars have never aligned as well as this for an America’s Cup challenge.

This bit confuses me...

“There are tens of thousands of individual components many with control systems running to several hundred thousand and in the controls there will be several hundred thousand lines of computer code. So, there is a lot going on behind the scenes,” says Claughton.

Is he talking 'within the simulations' or 'on the water'?

further down he states...

“There is no automation of the control of the boat, it’s only the helmsman who is adjusting the angle of attack of the hydrofoils that is controlling the ride height and also stopping the boat capsizing.

But allowing timing signals is of course getting closer to automation - maybe BAR don't intend to use them.

This is wrong though - you are never allowed to make a full size prototype - one and done

“We have the same drivers that push Formula One to work on simulators in that we are not allowed to build a full size prototype for another year.

My guess is that "with control systems running to several hundred thousand" he is referring to the geometry (which the simulator also draws on), 'control systems' including things like locations, material physical properties, interferences, layout zones, etc. Reading that paragraph had me wondering too so it's just a guess.

Would love to see some photos of what the simulation looks like from inside those oculus glasses, a video would be even nicer.

^

Very good interview on the relationship between the GBR Olympic squad system and the AC. Interesting comments on the Bermuda course versus SF too. Tactics about windshifts not tides.

I liked that too. We should have some good racing in Bermuda.

Isn't that area kind of right in the area where the ferries and any other traffic passes into Portsmouth? Including the Royal Navy?

Like this?

America's Cup: Ainslie hits out at Team New Zealand

By Michael Brown

10:21 PM Tuesday Mar 31, 2015
SCCZEN_A_250210NZHBPAINSLIE_620x310.jpg
Ben Ainslie, who was a member of Oracle at the last event in San Francisco in 2013, is now skipper of Ben Ainslie Racing. Photo / Brett Phibbs

Ben Ainslie has hit out at Team New Zealand for resisting proposed changes to reduce the size of boats for the next America's Cup.

Ainslie, who was a member of Oracle at the last event in San Francisco in 2013, is now skipper of Ben Ainslie Racing and made the call in a Daily Telegraph column ahead of the impending vote to scale back the catamarans from 62ft to something between 45 and 50ft. The proposal has been mooted as a way to cut costs and attract more challengers for the next America's Cup in Bermuda in 2017.

Ainslie is singing from the same song sheet as Oracle chief executive Russell Coutts and his challenge are struggling for funds. Team France and Swedish entry Artemis are also said to support the change.

"Of course, it is disappointing that a very small number of teams are arguing against the proposals but in some ways it is inevitable. In the case of Team New Zealand their argument against change is purely focused on their desire to host part of the qualifying series in NZ, at huge expense and competitive disadvantage to all of the other teams.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11426083

Self serving prick - how many is a very small number - out of 5½?

Maybe run a campaign or two - before telling others how it's done.

"I've got my events in the bag - fuck the other teams, doubly so the best and longest competing - cause they happen to come from the 'far away'.

Let them travel, I'm too scared! And it's expensive!"

Too much Coutts and SCM in that boy now - sad.

BA is right when he says

"In the case of Team New Zealand their argument against change is purely focused on their desire to host part of the qualifying series in NZ, at huge expense and competitive disadvantage to all of the other teams."

But that doesn't make BA's or ETNZ's the stronger argument. Since they look out for their team's own best interests, team bosses are holding basically the exact positions you'd expect them to, with the possible exception of AR.

I don't think it's purely focused on that issue.

There's also that they see it as essential that they have some idea of what's coming down the pike.

So either stick to the rules and timetable as they have been agreed, or do things by consensus rather than by fiat, or by playing teams off against each other half way through the cycle.

Exactly the positions you'd expect them too? Do you routinely attempt to change the contracts you make after you sign them and pay the deposit?

No sale. The protocol is the contract and the protocol is being followed.

So BAR have spent ?? much on a massive building, brought in people like Newey and Whitmarsh for serious dosh, and now all they would have to do is knock up someone elses designs and design a few foils. How does that add up? Can flick probably 80% of the infrastructure but of course the gallant leader still gets stupid money and his best mates too, rest dumped on the scrap heap.

Playing the poodle with the Larry and Coutts show will end in tears if this all goes through. And, end of Americas Cup. Nobody will care a flying monkey about yet another pro's love fest. How much interest does the tour de France get now?

Shot and foot - both feet - come to mind

^ nav, Yes, I'd expect those who don't want the boat changed to make that argument, that it's too late and/or that changing the Prot to do it is a questionable mechanism no matter the language.

So BAR have spent ?? much on a massive building

No. They got the taxpayer to pay for it.

^ New article today about their 10 year rent free use of public infrastructure.

Let's see the accountants trying to parse all the freebees once the per Team spending cap is introduced :lol:

So BAR have spent ?? much on a massive building

No. They got the taxpayer to pay for it.

Exactly - so now we have large white elephant squatting there and filled with not a lot of anyone doing very much...that'll really go down well in the current climate

the qualifying series was a white elephant from the moment it was put in the protocol (don't need to repost all the shit that was up here about it, and who was outspoken about the sense that it made.), big travel just before the main event, 2 boat advantage with travel time to OR, expensive, ...

so a year later re-nig, complete about face, on negotiations with competitors who are trying to run a campaign under those same fubar rules? not to mention about face on most of the protocol as well.

really,

nice wagon to jump on Ben, hope you wear tennis shoes as it will get mighty slippery

Like this?

America's Cup: Ainslie hits out at Team New Zealand

By Michael Brown

10:21 PM Tuesday Mar 31, 2015
SCCZEN_A_250210NZHBPAINSLIE_620x310.jpg
Ben Ainslie, who was a member of Oracle at the last event in San Francisco in 2013, is now skipper of Ben Ainslie Racing. Photo / Brett Phibbs

Ben Ainslie has hit out at Team New Zealand for resisting proposed changes to reduce the size of boats for the next America's Cup.

Ainslie, who was a member of Oracle at the last event in San Francisco in 2013, is now skipper of Ben Ainslie Racing and made the call in a Daily Telegraph column ahead of the impending vote to scale back the catamarans from 62ft to something between 45 and 50ft. The proposal has been mooted as a way to cut costs and attract more challengers for the next America's Cup in Bermuda in 2017.

Ainslie is singing from the same song sheet as Oracle chief executive Russell Coutts and his challenge are struggling for funds. Team France and Swedish entry Artemis are also said to support the change.

"Of course, it is disappointing that a very small number of teams are arguing against the proposals but in some ways it is inevitable. In the case of Team New Zealand their argument against change is purely focused on their desire to host part of the qualifying series in NZ, at huge expense and competitive disadvantage to all of the other teams.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11426083

Self serving prick - how many is a very small number - out of 5½?

Maybe run a campaign or two - before telling others how it's done.

"I've got my events in the bag - fuck the other teams, doubly so the best and longest competing - cause they happen to come from the 'far away'.

Let them travel, I'm too scared! And it's expensive!"

Too much Coutts and SCM in that boy now - sad.

While you and I have not agreed on much, on this subject we are in alignment.

Here's what I posted in Ehman's FB page, which I know for a fact ACEA PR dude Peter Rusch reads every day.

And no, Ehman didn't tell me to put it there. In fact, I posted something along the same lines yesterday that was more caustic and he suggested I take it down because it was a personal attack, though not sure Ainslie is exactly a FB friend of Ehman's. But this one was just too much over the top. What a load of self-serving bullshit.

And while I haven't always agreed with Grumpy's tactics, I have always given him props for being the best sponsorship salesman, ever, in the sport.

Effectively, what Ben is saying is this: Because I am the greatest sailor ever, I should be allowed to set the market price for entry into the America's Cup. Even though Team New Zealand is by far the most successful team in the history of the sport in terms of raising sponsorship money, I am a start up team and can't compete against that. Keith Mills simply is not as good a marketer as is Grant Dalton when it comes to selling sailing. And his line about a "small number of teams" voting against this proposed change? Did Ben not pass math class? Because Team France and Team Japan basically do not exist, so forget what they have to say. Instead it is his start up team, and long standing Artemis and Oracle which want the change. Two other long standing teams, TNZ and Luna Rossa don't. So, the vote is at best 3-2. Yes, 2 is a smaller number than 3 but come on. This sort of statement by Ainslie is just an admission that the entire marketing scheme set forth by Coutts is an abject failure. It is cringeworthy to the max. World's greatest sailor can't go yacht racing because he can't raise money but Kiwi's can.

Additionally, the only thing that Coutts and Ainslie are promoting is cost savings. They think the marketing value is in famous sailors racing fast boats. Russell Coutts has ZERO understanding of how to market anything except himself to a billionaire (which is nice work if you can get it). Coutts has no understanding of how to create an emotional connection for a team, except he is an expert at pissing off entire countries, so I guess there's that; lets all rally against the bad guy. ETNZ and Luna Rossa have been proven to be expert at getting entire countries to support their team. So fine big bad Ben, reject that success and follow a proven marketing loser to the path of irrelevance. Is there another guy in sports marketing who has pissed away so much money as Russell Coutts, and Ainslie and Keith Mills want to support that guy?

I don't think it's purely focused on that issue.

There's also that they see it as essential that they have some idea of what's coming down the pike.

So either stick to the rules and timetable as they have been agreed, or do things by consensus rather than by fiat, or by playing teams off against each other half way through the cycle.

Exactly the positions you'd expect them too? Do you routinely attempt to change the contracts you make after you sign them and pay the deposit?

Go take your case to LR - who opted for a majority vote on such matters.

"as good a marketer as is Grant Dalton"

That was bloody yesterday. The wheels fell off GD's wagon in September 2013 and he hasn't managed to fit them back on. Everything since has been as escalating shambles. Where's the announced headline sponsor(s) for AC35? Where's the money? We know there are pay cuts and ENTZ sailors having fun in C-cats and Moths. Very nice but it's not going to contribute much to lifting the Cup. It's filling in time until the money arrives.

It's a pity. I liked GD's straight talking in AC34. I want someone sane to take back control of the AC and ETNZ seemed the best hope. But realistically now, no.

"as good a marketer as is Grant Dalton"

That was bloody yesterday. The wheels fell off GD's wagon in September 2013 and he hasn't managed to fit them back on. Everything since has been as escalating shambles. Where's the announced headline sponsor(s) for AC35? Where's the money? We know there are pay cuts and ENTZ sailors having fun in C-cats and Moths. Very nice but it's not going to contribute much to lifting the Cup. It's filling in time until the money arrives.

It's a pity. I liked GD's straight talking in AC34. I want someone sane to take back control of the AC and ETNZ seemed the best hope. But realistically now, no.

And it's not going to improve anytime soon. GD has again threatened litigation over ACEA's Auckland snub. No link.

The images of partial documents around suggest there was a heads of agreement on Auckland subject to certain issues being resolved. A heads of agreement is not a contract. I suspect Schiller knows the difference.