Barnyb

Team UK

Yep, 15m is the correct length in meters but you'd be very hard-pressed to find anyone who matters that doesn't call them either AC49's or AC50's.

Which makes sense, given that AC72s were also named in feet instead of meters. It's not about metric vs imperial, or about you again slamming Americans, your USADUH being just your latest stupid example of doing it.

15 is a small number.

Are you sure we are talking about the AC?

I thought it was supposed to be the pinnacle of sailing - not a little 15.

15 is a small number.

Are you sure we are talking about the AC?

I thought it was supposed to be the pinnacle of sailing - not a little 15.

If length is more important to you than speed, then lets' hear it: What length do you want and why?

If the goal that these guys have set is "The Best Sailors in the Fastest Boats" then for 'the Fastest Boats' aspect, speed instead of length is by far the more important measure.

We being humans are for sure more impressed by Big but in the winged, multihull, Foiling arena? It sure as hell looks like more important factors than length matter, if you want to optimize on speed.

These AC50's could be the the best power-to-weight ratio AC boats ever built. Nathan has called them 'Beasts' but a better term may be 'Devils' by the time Race 1 happens.

The AC has never been about "the best sailors in the fastest boats", has it? It's been "I've got this boat with some sailors in it, I bet it's faster than your boat and sailors"...

This best sailors, fastest boats nonsense is some marketing droids wet dream innit?

If the goal that these guys have set is "The Best Sailors in the Fastest Boats"

Long since abandoned as a slogan, surely? Just too easy to shoot holes in.

Southampton apprentices to build sustainable boat for Ben Ainslie Racing

Is Ben focusing on the right things?

Focussed? It's a five second, one brain decision. "We're going to need some boats to manoeuvre the beast around, like those ones the Kiwis had last time. Farm it out to a suitable technical college. There must be a suitable mould floating around somewhere. Oh, and get the PR dept involved."

And the PR dept have done their job.

How about this one? "the pinnacle of yacht racing" :D

I prefer, 'The Formula One of yacht racing' <emiticon of some sort>

15 may be a small number but is bigger than the number of sailors involved if you take out the hamsters.....

^ could be that, could also be that their (fresher) design team has evaluated the loads on the smaller platform and come to the conclusion that the central I-beam is not justified!?

oh no.

loads on the platform need to be mandated by the OD gods or no-one will be safe safe safe safe ....

SR

clean-Up needed

Latest gos' from Pomgolia...

Leigh McMillan signs for Land Rover BAR

m1184_crop169014_1024x576_proportional_1

Land Rover BAR has reinforced its sailing team with the addition of Leigh McMillan as a helmsman. McMillan has been one of the world’s top multihull sailors for the last decade. He’s the only skipper to have won two Extreme Sailing Series and has already won this season’s Bullitt GC32 Racing Tour in foiling multihulls. He learned his trade in the Olympic Tornado class, with two appearances for Team GB at the Games in 2004 and 2008.

McMillan’s dominance in this environment made him the perfect sparring partner for Ben Ainslie,

etc... http://land-rover-bar.americascup.com/en/news/201_Leigh-McMillan-signs-for-Land-Rover-BAR.html

12112423_822462427872428_364112219118000

How about this one? "the pinnacle of yacht racing" :D

I prefer, 'The Formula One of yacht racing' <emiticon of some sort>

I think they lost the F1 comparison when the went to a mostly one design boat .

I'm waiting to see if J Boats comes out with its new J 50 :)

Ac 35 aka JAR

15 may be a small number but is bigger than the number of sailors involved if you take out the hamsters.....

By almost a factor of three .

Two sailors. , three grinders .

We could almost say the AC is just another double handed regatta :)

Two sailors, three grinders and four people able to watch any event on TV...

Two sailors, three grinders and four people able to watch any event on TV...

and a partridge in a pear tree

Latest gos' from Pomgolia...

Leigh McMillan signs for Land Rover BAR

m1184_crop169014_1024x576_proportional_1

Land Rover BAR has reinforced its sailing team with the addition of Leigh McMillan as a helmsman. McMillan has been one of the worlds top multihull sailors for the last decade. Hes the only skipper to have won two Extreme Sailing Series and has already won this seasons Bullitt GC32 Racing Tour in foiling multihulls. He learned his trade in the Olympic Tornado class, with two appearances for Team GB at the Games in 2004 and 2008.

McMillans dominance in this environment made him the perfect sparring partner for Ben Ainslie,

etc... http://land-rover-bar.americascup.com/en/news/201_Leigh-McMillan-signs-for-Land-Rover-BAR.html

12112423_822462427872428_364112219118000

first sign that ainsley may go through with not driving?

When is BAR gonna move to bermuda? They really have to get a move on if they wanna have a chance of competing with Artemis...

What's so great about being based in Bermuda at this stage? Being early in SF didn't do Artemis much good in AC34.

When is BAR gonna move to bermuda? They really have to get a move on if they wanna have a chance of competing with Artemis...

You're Joking?

They've been in Bermuda at least as long as the other teams sailing about in Phantoms and gathering weather data. IIRC the first team to show up there on social media once the announcement was made.

HAHA how does that count? There is a big difference between having a base there, sailing 45's and having boats out there to compare with and just having a couple of people there. And it's also super important to keep up with the development of the other teams....

Winning at sport?

Play the game old chap. The Brits gave up winning at anything in about 1805.

^ Ah yes, World Croquet Champs again, you must have much pride! Golden days....

The home of sport dear boy. Cricket, football, rugby and wot not. Still represented at world level in more sports tham any other country (provided you include gurning, beard growing, welly throwing and tiddlywinks).

Anyone else catch it? During the BT Sport broadcast today they showed an interview with (think it was) Andy Claughton and when talking about T2 he said it was the next of a series of test boatS to come, plural.

Iirc he also said their hulls are all being built 'across the water' (the Solent) from Portsmouth.

Anyone else catch it? During the BT Sport broadcast today they showed an interview with (think it was) Andy Claughton and when talking about T2 he said it was the next of a series of test boatS to come, plural.

Iirc he also said their hulls are all being built 'across the water' (the Solent) from Portsmouth.

It's been mentioned several times that their will be several T boats for BAR.

^

That's pretty much true, it's certainly restricted. Protocol 40.1.

A few insights here - if you can stand the hyperbole

Nice POV video too... http://www.thedrive.com/article/623/why-americas-cup-racing-is-the-most-extreme-sport-on-earth

America’s Cup Racing Is the Most Extreme Sport on Earth

The pastime of billionaires? Sure. But it’s also the most intense action anywhere, anytime.

By Mike Guy October 23, 2015

Nice POV video too... http://www.thedrive.com/article/623/why-americas-cup-racing-is-the-most-extreme-sport-on-earth

The pastime of billionaires? Sure. But it’s also the most intense action anywhere, anytime.

Hyperbole? That's an understatement! It would be a thread hijack to start listing sports that are more extreme and it would also be a very long post. I am not even sure it is the most extreme form of sailing. Not saying the boats aren't great, but do we really need this sort of hyperbole to sell the sport and the event?

Hyperbole? That's an understatement! It would be a thread hijack to start listing sports that are more extreme and it would also be a very long post. I am not even sure it is the most extreme form of sailing. Not saying the boats aren't great, but do we really need this sort of hyperbole to sell the sport and the event?

Far too much RedBull consumed, obviously. Drink enough of it and you can convince yourself that this headline has any basis in fact whatsoever.

You're mainly seeing the curve of the transition from the vertical to the horizontal element there IMO. Not a very good indication of the true section of the lifting surface.

^ Pretty sure all the AC foiling boats show refinements on a theme rather than any really radical changes. Although I guess even dimensionally minor changes are 'radical' to those stewing behind their monitors all day.

Someone here claimed to 'know all about it' yesterday after a tour of OTUSA's garage.

One for comparison

LVACWSP15D2_0394_zpsv8vrmmk2.jpg

You're mainly seeing the curve of the transition from the vertical to the horizontal element there IMO. Not a very good indication of the true section of the lifting surface.

^ Pretty sure all the AC foiling boats show refinements on a theme rather than any really radical changes. Although I guess even dimensionally minor changes are 'radical' to those stewing behind their monitors all day.

Someone here claimed to 'know all about it' yesterday after a tour of OTUSA's garage.

One for comparison

LVACWSP15D2_0394_zpsv8vrmmk2.jpg

Wow. Thanks.

Convex foil airfoils are not new. I've seen lots of them in both Artemis and ORs camps used on both the foiling 40s and the 72s.

Fighter Jets, Foils and Human Factors

The speed of reaction of a fighter pilot in combat has always been a matter of life and death. So when defence and aerospace companies design the control systems for modern military fast jets they are very, very careful to ensure that nothing gets between the pilot and the plane. The design of the interface must present no barriers to the human’s interaction with the machine.

http://land-rover-bar.americascup.com/en/news/209_Fighter-Jets-Foils-and-Human-Factors.html

^Isn't that why OR developed automated control systems for AC34 finals? {ducks to avoid heavy thrown objects}

^Isn't that why OR developed automated control systems for AC34 finals? {ducks to avoid heavy thrown objects}

No need to duck , you are the only guy beating that dead horse anymore.

No need to duck , you are the only guy beating that dead horse anymore.

Quite right. Most of the rest of us have moved on to yacht racing which deserves our continued attention.

Not a trophy, just a gift. It was found when the site for LARBAR HQ was being prepared

Great to connect to the nation's maritime roots as we welcomed the First Sea Lord, Admiral Sir George Zambellas to our home in Portsmouth. The First Sea Lord presented Ben Ainslie Fan Page with a (disarmed!) WWII bomb found on the Camber during the build of our base.

https://www.facebook.com/LandRoverBAR

Not a trophy, just a gift. It was found when the site for LARBAR HQ was being prepared

Great to connect to the nation's maritime roots as we welcomed the First Sea Lord, Admiral Sir George Zambellas to our home in Portsmouth. The First Sea Lord presented Ben Ainslie Fan Page with a (disarmed!) WWII bomb found on the Camber during the build of our base.

https://www.facebook.com/LandRoverBAR

Very cool . It should make the trophy case in any event .

The external rams on the foils are new & patches on topsides - T2.1!

clik

886050_830494703735867_52797886357812508

Oct 6

12091189_819139024871435_832251907123112

What i don't get:

Why would somebody like larry Ellison opt for a one design boat if his only real asset is the size of his wallet and Ben Ainsle not on his team.

To me this sound so stupistupid that I must be missing something.

Is he that confident in james spithill?

In my really eyes there is only BAR or team NZ.

Time will tell...

What i don't get:

Why would somebody like larry Ellison opt for a one design boat if his only real asset is the size of his wallet and Ben Ainsle not on his team.

Time will tell...

Because they want to make sure it's a living - as in RC's flying circus comes to town. Whoopdee doo, clowns and all.

What i don't get:

Why would somebody like larry Ellison opt for a one design boat if his only real asset is the size of his wallet

He could obviously outspend anybody, it's not even a contest.

Maybe his desire is that the AC be honestly fair because where's the challenge if the task isn't difficult? He probably ~wants~ strong competition.

Would you like some Kool-Aid with that?

Got a better explanation? Let's hear it.

It's a perfectly reasonable possibility that a guy as competitive as he is relishes a real challenge. And to him, it's less a 'national war' than just a semi-serious-stakes game to play. One with an even deck.

What i don't get:

Time will tell...

It is clear to me that Larry doesn't care much if he loses the cup because he has already won it by spending a lot of money and the new challenge is to win it on a more moderate budget. Also he employs the unbeatable (so far) RC so what could go wrong?

Guys is anyone forgetting that oracle can build two boats and already have 2 45s sailing? This cup is already theirs. The main reason they want a more OD boat is so that no big surprises come out like in the last cup. It takes a lot more money and time investment to make a semi OD boat 1% better than it does to come up with a revolutionary idea that makes the boat 50% faster.

Guys is anyone forgetting that oracle can build two boats and already have 2 45s sailing? This cup is already theirs. The main reason they want a more OD boat is so that no big surprises come out like in the last cup. It takes a lot more money and time investment to make a semi OD boat 1% better than it does to come up with a revolutionary idea that makes the boat 50% faster.

+ 1

Guys is anyone forgetting that oracle can build two boats and already have 2 45s sailing?

Like all the teams, Oracle can race only the first AC boat they launch. There is no advantage to be had there.

They do have two early S's already sailing and yes that could be an advantage; but later iterations, also allowed to all teams, may be the effort better spent.

Early next year OR will be launching their 3rd development platform (reports are SBTJ will "inherit" Sport Boat 1) which is going to put them miles ahead of anyone in development of the AC Class cat.

Foil development will be key, but a lot of "inside" experts seem to be indicating that the biggest development gains will be in controls and platform areo packages.

OR seems to be following that philosophy and is well ahead of BAR and Artemis, who was reported to be pretty even if not slightly ahead in the early Bermuda training before the launch of boat 2.

BAR's T2 seems to be concentrating on controls and AR sent the Turbo back to Alameda where there has been talk of further mods to it, but they have kept pretty much hidden so we won't see what they have until Morgan's is up an running.

ETNZ is way behind in their program and I doubt they got much other than hardware from LR as they got out too early to have come up with anything "groundbreaking".

At least that is my take on things thus far.

This,

Plus, I am not sure how much LE really cares about it any more. He finally used his money to get it, but does he want to continue using his money to keep it. I would not be surprised to see him happy to lose it, but be able to claim it only happened because, being such a caring individual, he allowed the cheap teams in and has left a legacy for the cup in the future.

So he saves money, still tilts the competition his way ( as he should as the holder - an AC tradition), and has a great story of self sacrifice for the future of the cup if he loses it. RC, if he loses it would be more than happy to use the low budget (yeah right) and future of the cup being so important to him he is happy it has passed on.

It's a perfectly reasonable possibility that a guy as competitive as he is relishes a real challenge. And to him, it's less a 'national war' than just a semi-serious-stakes game to play. One with an even deck.

Yet another fine example of the Spinmeister at work. When somebody attacks the rule for being one design, you point out that the foils, controls, wing controls and aero are open, meaning it is a design competition. When somebody asks why LE would risk using a one design, you jump straight on that band wagon and claim it is to make it fair! Sorry, but you cannot have it both ways.

The simple fact is that the one design elements are a total smoke screen. It makes it cheaper for teams to get into the game, but only if they accept they are going to have noncompetitive boats. For the top teams, it is spending as usual and OR have made sure they can and will outspend everybody. What is a shame is that we will probably end up with boats that look as of they are one design but which have significant speed differences due to the elements that can be developed. For people who are into the nuances of high performance boat development, this might be interesting, but for most,all they will see and understand is that there are significant (unexplained) speed differences between what look like identical boats.

LE just writes out the cheques. The real brains behind this circus is RC. LE has been sucked into the RC master plan but has only now (AC35) put some $ constraints on the overall budget - or so he thinks. RC has been preaching lower costs ($20m for Fra) but then goes to Bermuda, makes multiple 45's, youth series?, world series, leading a design race on foils, controls,....

It will cost the same as last time to win and LE will front up again knowing that to win the cup u need RC and to have RC it costs an arm and a leg to fund his master plan.

Guys is anyone forgetting that oracle can build two boats and already have 2 45s sailing?

Like all the teams, Oracle can race only the first AC boat they launch. There is no advantage to be had there.

They do have two early S's already sailing and yes that could be an advantage; but later iterations, also allowed to all teams, may be the effort better spent.

How is being able to do two boat testing not an advantage?

is that enough if the other team has the better skipper?

is the 1% material enough over a better crew? I'm not sure...

2 boat testing is great all the way.

but one wrong tactical decision and that was it...

now I'm not sure that BA is THE MAN and will win in any one design contest (I know this is not really one design).

but with BA and team NZ the competition is really tough.

you all make it sound like is was a walk through last time for team oracle.

They weren't that dominant until the end, if you remember. It so easily could have come the other way - for example if the time limit had been 5 min more, or something else ...

now I'm not sure that BA is THE MAN and will win in any one design contest (I know this is not really one design).

They weren't that dominant until the end, if you remember. It so easily could have come the other way - for example if the time limit had been 5 min more, or something else ...

I think the difference is that BA is BAR- he is putting a very strong team together, not a group of individuals. The skills on that team with Freddie, CJ, Leigh and the rest is proven.

It's a very well orchestrated and thought out team with a lot depth to it, on and off the water.

And it is a British team with British sailors.

from what I see at the moment,

with BAR, the Brits have a team, that could actually win the Americascup.

They have everything it takes.

Of course that does not mean that they will actually win it. In my eyes Team NZ will be the team to beat.

You seem to overlook the fact that Oracle will not be competing in the LV series to find the challenger .. The challengers were given the option of having two boats but declined .. Two boats for Oracle was to offset some of the advantage that the LV series gave to the challengers.

. The challengers were given the option of having two boats but declined ..

Really? Are you sure? First time I've ever heard that.

Yes .. it was very early in the negotiations .. don't ask me to find a reference though.

Hmmmm. This goes right back to the protocol agreed with Hamilton Island and iirc GD stated that no other challengers were involved with that negotiation.

Quite true.It was during one of the early "group meetings" in London.

There were grumblings in the "sailing world" about the original 2 boat OR advantantage (a lot coming from the NZ press, not sure how much from the teams). RC offered the ability to all of building a second boat, but the Challengers deemed it too expensive, so the 2 boat OR advantage stood, but that 2nd boat is basically a trial horse as it can't be launched until the actual Challenger series or used in the Cup unless boat 1 is destroyed (or damaged and then parts can be swapped).So boat 2 has about a 4 week useful life.

I think the difference is that BA is BAR- he is putting a very strong team together, not a group of individuals. The skills on that team with Freddie, CJ, Leigh and the rest is proven.

It's a very well orchestrated and thought out team with a lot depth to it, on and off the water.

And it is a British team with British sailors.

:lol: Go with that if it floats your boat - ignore the 2 Kiwis in the sailing team - and the South Africans, the French, the Spanish, the Ozzies, the Irish, the Portuguese, the Dutch, the Swiss, the Italians the Belgians, the Germans, the Swedish, the Americans and the Argentinians in the team (apologies if I missed a few).

http://land-rover-bar.americascup.com/en/sailing-team.html

Welcome by the way...

I guess none of you are actually interested in what that ^ UK brains trust have come up with so far?

Talk talk talk?

The external rams on the foils are new & patches on topsides - T2.1!

clik

886050_830494703735867_52797886357812508

Oct 6

12091189_819139024871435_832251907123112

Yet another fine example of the Spinmeister at work. When somebody attacks the rule for being one design, you point out that the foils, controls, wing controls and aero are open, meaning it is a design competition. When somebody asks why LE would risk using a one design, you jump straight on that band wagon and claim it is to make it fair! Sorry, but you cannot have it both ways.

The simple fact is that the one design elements are a total smoke screen. It makes it cheaper for teams to get into the game, but only if they accept they are going to have noncompetitive boats. For the top teams, it is spending as usual and OR have made sure they can and will outspend everybody. What is a shame is that we will probably end up with boats that look as of they are one design but which have significant speed differences due to the elements that can be developed. For people who are into the nuances of high performance boat development, this might be interesting, but for most,all they will see and understand is that there are significant (unexplained) speed differences between what look like identical boats.

Was referring to the part of High Flow's comment about LE, "his only real asset is the size of his wallet" by pointing out that he must be willing to largely negate that advantage, or else would not be doing so. How many would take him on, in another mega-bucks DoG Match where they'd stand little to no chance?

Much like for last time, am just not seeing or reading complaints about unfairness in the rules this time. ETNZ damn nearly won AC34 and this time the Challengers as a group look to be more competitive,

How is being able to do two boat testing not an advantage?

Agree it's some kind of advantage with the 45S's, and fully expect we will see some other teams two-boating them.

But wrt the Cup boats, while OR is allowed to build a second boat, and probably will, they need to focus on the first boat - which comes under the same timing and equipment rules as everyone else's. The second boat could only be launched very late in the game, probably way too late to learn anything from two-boating that could then be incorporated back into B1's design; in fact they'd have so little time with B2 that just getting it up and working smoothly may be tight. B2 is basically a backup boat for in case of a B1 disaster before Race 1, which by the rules is the only way that B2 would ever race.