Barnyb

Team UK

ETNZ have had their failings, but failing to win and retain the Americas cup on the water is not one of them.

Ancient history.

Nice try - but I don't think the British have any in this event

Didn't say they did. But it's 16 years ago that ETNZ last successfully retained the Cup.

Mostly, I'm fed up with all things ETNZ spreading to every fucking thread. Use your own.

Didn't say they did. But it's 16 years ago that ETNZ last successfully retained the Cup.

Mostly, I'm fed up with all things ETNZ spreading to every fucking thread. Use your own.

whinge whinge whinge

see Stingray regarding the spread, not me. Sometimes errors need to be corrected, without fact checkers, the truth becomes subverted.

Is there a reason why the Team Uk thread seems to mainly an argument about rules and who was lying, at an event Team Uk wasn't even present at?

The entire America's Cup is about rules and who is lying, once BAR work this out their chances of winning will increase significantly...

Oh geezus, here we go with the ETNZ lawyers again. Trying to win off the water if they can't win on it.

Nobody is contemplating the next Challenge yet, they can't because it does not exist until after this Cup challenge has been won. They can signal their future intent all they want in the meantime but it's DoG meaningless for now.

Not what TE your ex-best mate and AC lawyer extraordinaire thinks.

Who is writing your talking points these days by the way?

And to the whinging fan-boys, if it's your AC and sailing ignorant functionary pushing through illegitimate agreements I guess you'll have to put up with the fall-out here.

The epic Swiss love ode to BA can continue alongside though - never fear...

^ "reasonably significant upgrades coming on line in the near future" 1:44, BA, doesn't sound too confident with what he's letting out on.

Thanks!

^ "reasonably significant upgrades coming on line in the near future" 1:44, BA, doesn't sound too confident with what he's letting out on.

I think it's a case of not being all team USA fuck yeah! And saying stuff is going to be amazing, like the best boat evvverrr !

It's pretty open to say that it's a big step on from the rest boats, and what they are practicing isn't what they will compete with.

Interestingly the foil tips in some of the shots look distinctly needle like not the stanadrd tips that show up on 90% of promo shots

It could just be dustirtion underwater though? But it's the second time I have seen that in some vid they have released as well as what I saw in Portsmouth being bench tested

Except that it is the same boat, that will compete

What will and can change are the systems, limited amounts of aero, rudders foils etc

Given that it's foiling the boat won't make the difference the bits in contact with the water will

F1 cars chassis dont(very rarely change). Aero surfaces and internal system do.

Except that it is the same boat, that will compete

What will and can change are the systems, limited amounts of aero, rudders foils etc

Given that it's foiling the boat won't make the difference the bits in contact with the water will

F1 cars chassis dont(very rarely change). Aero surfaces and internal system do.

True that the cars chassis rarely changes. However, do you remember the 1998 Season? McLaren-Mercedes were Miles ahead of the competition at the beginning of the Season in Australia yet it came down to the very Final Race between Schumacher and Hakkinen to determine the outcome of the Drivers Championship & Team Championship.

I'm pretty convinced that once BAR loses some Races early some supporters of the Team will go in full panic mode.

In some ways Ben Ainslie and Michael Schumacher have a lot in common. Aside from their credentials (Schumacher won 2 Drivers & Team Championships with Bennetton before switching to Ferrari; Ainslie has 3 Gold Medals and one AC) they make everyone around them or in their Team better. Look what a lame duck Ferrari was before Schumacher, Ross Brawn, Rory Byrne and Jean Todt took over and then from 2000-2004 became utterly dominant.

Completely agree. BA is an exceptional talent and has a loyal and competent crew.

His design team are not at the same level and without the tools to win BA will be (already is by most reports) struggling as his comments on upgrades clearly shows.

Let's wait for the first line-up between BAR and TNZ. That should show where each sits (unless the winds are flukey and the winner winds by the toss of a coin - as per the whole world series)

Let's wait for the first line-up between BAR and TNZ. That should show where each sits (unless the winds are flukey and the winner winds by the toss of a coin - as per the whole world series)

ETNS will do just enough to get into the top 4 and keep their powder dry for the real battles coming up. Ainslie will do the same..

Unless AR, SBTJ and TF come out of the blocks like startled cats...

Is their new boat called Rita?

R1. R is for.......

Anybody right now who is "confident" they have the winning edge, would be a fool.

But mostly, BA talks like a Brit. Selling the sizzle don't play as well here as in some places.

^

I get that. Still ...

(Small) winches for wing sheet, no hydraulics?

You do realize that these ACC 50's are "Development Boats" just like the AC 72's. It's like kind of F1 Cars. You start with a certain Package at the beginning of the Season and then your car gets developed over the course of the year with new things, etc...

The Boat LRBAR is sailing right now isn't going to be the end product they will sail during the ACQ & Playoffs. There will be numerous upgrades over the course of the next 80 Days or so and then during Racing as well. That obviously applies to all of the Teams.

Ainslie is right. The Team who develops their boat best in the run up to sailing and during sailing will come out on top.

I do, I just find it intriguing that BA openly says that when T3 has had known problems which may or may not be on Rita

You do realize that these ACC 50's are "Development Boats" just like the AC 72's. It's like kind of F1 Cars. You start with a certain Package at the beginning of the Season and then your car gets developed over the course of the year with new things, etc...

The Boat LRBAR is sailing right now isn't going to be the end product they will sail during the ACQ & Playoffs. There will be numerous upgrades over the course of the next 80 Days or so and then during Racing as well. That obviously applies to all of the Teams.

Ainslie is right. The Team who develops their boat best in the run up to sailing and during sailing will come out on top.

I do, I just find it intriguing that BA openly says that when T3 has had known problems which may or may not be on Rita

Well I don't get it at all!

You don't spend thousands and thousands of hours designing and building a new boat to then turn up at a remote regatta venue with less than 100 days to the first race and start suggesting that your boat requires "significant upgrades" . Bermuda is not the location for that sort of work.

I feel BA publicstatement is an attempt to reassure his financial backers that his team is still on track. I suspect he is not so confident.

Feels like White Crusader II (the Hollom Hippo one) time all over again, and that one ended up in the bin.

ahhh White Crusader...

But what actual proof do we have that BAR are having issues or hydraulic issues at that?

99.9%?posted on here by forum members is utter guess work

What gets posted by the teams is highly selective in terms of how up to date things are, they won't publish pics or updates after every sailing leading to guess work by the contributors here, the nice posey shots that generally show fuck all are what they want you to see

^

I get that. Still ...

(Small) winches for wing sheet, no hydraulics?

BAR is the only team with Softbank that did not chose to go 100% hydraulics for the controls (wing+foil) and kept winches. Maybe they were too conservative?

Everyone should take a deep breath and wait for the sailing to commence.

Yes. Especially you.

So one has the best ass n tits but the other has by far the best teeth in England?

The bar is set pretty low

So one has the best ass n tits but the other has by far the best teeth in England?

The bar is set pretty low

It's Sailing Anarchy, there is no bar. . .

although for what it's worth Kate Middleton is a Duchess, Georgie Ainslie is Lady Georgie Ainslie. No Dames.

They won't want him in the boat. Shoulders too wide - insufficiently aero.

Take it to "Do you like movies about gladiators?" anarchy.

Or "Is that human" anarchy?

Shows something..but he's a hamster trainer rather than a hamster isn't he?

The bigger sewing machine for the wing sail is out back...

One of the strong reasons for going down this path for TNZ is it frees up the hands for any flight control systems they've developed. They can effectively have a pilot and not just rely on a helmsman or the trimmer. - Dean Barker

Question: Who below is more likely to have superior Flight Simulator skills while generating several hundred watts?

post-19376-0-83526200-1489601762_thumb.jpg

The man on the left will be flying with feet; the man on the right will be flying with hands.

The extra from 300 was a fitness blogger, they got a bunch of them in to show them what the sailing team do in training

So put baby oil down turn the lights back up and stop fantasising about him spinning the handles on bens boat.

Not a good start to Ainslie's day out on the water today. Boat was sailing away from the dock and decided to give it a kiss.

post-69758-0-79032600-1489765281_thumb.jpg

^

So, no Y-rudders. Together with hydraulic wing sheeting, sort of confirms the OR, ETNZ, AR pre-eminence

One of the strong reasons for going down this path for TNZ is it frees up the hands for any flight control systems they've developed. They can effectively have a pilot and not just rely on a helmsman or the trimmer. - Dean Barker

Question: Who below is more likely to have superior Flight Simulator skills while generating several hundred watts?

attachicon.gifAvsB.jpg

The man on the left will be flying with feet; the man on the right will be flying with hands.

One is a cyclist and one is a fitness blogger that has nothing to do with the cup...

What did Ainslie hit?!! How many days will that put him out for?

Perhaps this is why the boats are designed with the " clip on " nose pieces ?

To comply with Collided Outside Country rules?

I'm surprised that with Jimmy driving IM didn't mandate that option for safety reasons...

The front was made out of cardboard and string for cost reductions. And then it was towed outside the environment and hit a wave. Simples. I wonder if it was made to carry as much oil as possible..

One is a cyclist and one is a fitness blogger that has nothing to do with the cup...

Agreed.

If I had posted pics of Jono on the left and Simon on the right, would that make my supposition more realistic? (edit: They both have something to do with this Cup. Jono is a grinder, Simon is a cyclist.) Sorry but I don't have any photos of either them wearing only skivvies.

So what's your answer?

^

So, no Y-rudders. Together with hydraulic wing sheeting, sort of confirms the OR, ETNZ, AR pre-eminence

Because BAR have gone for a rudder design with a better lift/drag ratio, but that is less stable?

I'm surprised that with Jimmy driving IM didn't mandate that option for safety reasons...

I think they would be more concerned with one of the other wheelman in the fleet .

The two time Americas Cup winner would be the last one worry about :)

^

Because BAR have gone for a rudder design with a better lift/drag ratio, but that is less stable?

No, Y-rudders supposedly have less interference drag, and (therefore?) cavitation inception at a higher speed. At the cost of more construction complexity

I think they would be more concerned with one of the other wheelman in the fleet .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0li5rH_2j0

Who hasn't hit the committe boat once in awhile ?

Who hasn't hit the committe boat once in awhile ?

There goes your security deposit for the event eh Russel.

thats great video, forgot their used to be a much bigger fleet of ac45s its great to see a larger fleet, maybe we will see more after the next cycle?

I'm trying to figure out what a bodybuilder has to do with endurance and fitness, or how anyone thinks a guy can perform well when he's at like 5% body fat. Duh.

Oh, he has like a trillion insta followers. Duh me.

Many Grand Tour riders who do well are 5% body fat or less.

Lance used to ride at 4%. Jens said he used to start a tour at 4.5% and finish at 3.8%.

I'll give everyone who is writing off Land Rover BAR (which are I assume quite a few people) something to think about: Roger Federer had been written off when he announced an Injury Time about in the middle of 2016...look where he is now. The AC can be won by the Brits.

Can but not very likely.

Add to that France and maybe even Artemis.

Even my beloved ETNZ cannot be called a strong contender right now.

Truyh is that the combination of cash and other advantage Oracle has given themselves really does put them in the box seat.

What makes you think sailors aren't?

I just think you could have chosen a better example to back up your point than a convicted drug cheat.

Hey ho

I'll give everyone who is writing off Land Rover BAR (which are I assume quite a few people) something to think about: Roger Federer had been written off when he announced an Injury Time about in the middle of 2016...look where he is now. The AC can be won by the Brits.

Roger Federer is regarded, by nearly all commentators, as the greatest tennis player ever and has been over many years. The AC is not a one class competition, it's an engineering and decision making and sporting race, which needs the top drivers to be part of that process. Your example points far more to OR or ETNZ winning, than it ever does to BAR.

Roger Federer is regarded, by nearly all commentators, as the greatest tennis player ever and has been over many years. The AC is not a one class competition, it's an engineering and decision making and sporting race, which needs the top drivers to be part of that process. Your example points far more to OR or ETNZ winning, than it ever does to BAR.

No it actually doesn't. If Federer hadn't had a good, close supportive Team none of his Accomplishments would have happened. Take is Physio Pierre Paganini. He has a lot to do with Federer being in that kind of shape he is physically right now Age 35.

You are digging deeper. You tried to draw a parallel with BAR and Roger Federer, and are now calling him part of a team. I agree RF has a team. This RF team has had unprecedented success over many years and many grand slams (it annoys me as I like Nadal). I'm very sorry to say that, as good as BA is, his team has zero proven record in producing a decent AC programme or AC boat. That might change, but as yet, them's the facts. At this point, BAR are newbie upstarts - sure, they might win it, but history says they won't. Your Federer analogy doesn't fly.

I wonder how many if those bow sections they had fabricated as spares? Not just BAR - other teams too?

I wonder how many if those bow sections they had fabricated as spares? Not just BAR - other teams too?

I'm sure part of the plan with these bolt on tips was just this type of scene .

When striking another object you can either repair or replace the tip.

Unfortunately if you hit another boat , you will most likely come off better than your victim if for example you hit them amidships or anywhere other than their bow area.

D.C. Used to make a habit of letting the tow boat go and then just coasting the boat into the slip in front of the fans for a perfect landing . He miss judged it once during the NZ event and nailed a piling .

Without skipping a beat he turns to Bill Trenkle and says " it looks like the shore crew won't be getting a lot of sleep tonight " .

I'm sure the BAR boys will be up late tonight as well.

Imagine if there were 5lbs of extra mass in someones bolt on bow sections? 8)

Greatest sailors etc etc.......BOOM!

That sort of shit can happen to anybody. Especially when you start believing your own hype.

I love how the two guys jump off the boat as it comes parallel to the land side dock, then try to slow the boat down. Nice try, but this isn't exactly a Finn.

Got to say, where were the people to receive them at the dock? The kind of thing you expect when coming alongside in a dinghy if there's no one to help, but hardly reasonable at this level? Can only hope that they learn the lesson and relatively cheaply. Shouldn't the chase boat be involved at some point to control their approach?