• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Barnyb

Team UK

I think he means that 12 meter class is not as expensive as it was in the old days but I am not sure.

No, he means it is as much fund and much cheaper being out of the AC game.

I think he means that 12 meter class is not as expensive as it was in the old days but I am not sure.

No, he means it is as much fund and much cheaper being out of the AC game.

Well if he means this boat he is right: :lol:

http://desavary.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/PdeS-little-sail-boat-168x300.jpg

post-17796-0-80409600-1392389175_thumb.jpg

Edited by schakel

"Ben Ainslie is making good progress on putting together an 80 million pounds ($130 million) British challenge for the next America's Cup, the four-times Olympic champion said on Thursday."

"Bank JP Morgan is a long-term sponsor of Ainslie's sailing career and his high public profile after winning gold at the 2012 London Olympics and in the America's Cup should help unlock funding.

"For the first time, coming back to the UK, non-sailors said I really enjoyed watching that," he said, recalling the reaction when he returned from the America's Cup last year."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/13/sailing-americas-ainslie-idUSL6N0MA44120140313

Good effort to get himself in the news again but NOTHING new on getting anything specific together - doesn't look good...

Only news is the expectation that the new protocol might be released 'in the next couple of days' ?

Vsail said Ben would announce a full project in the last week of April, not sure where the details came from.

Vsail says many things. I've stopped paying attention to it.

TDS, the Telegraph and the Independent - all of which have great yachting journos - have all said the same thing. The latest TDS article quotes him directly. The Financial Times also ran a piece saying he has £30m in private money and needs to find that much again commercially.

In case anyone is still blind to the blindingly obvious: From an article tweet-linked by JPMorganBAR:

--

Bank JP Morgan is a long-term sponsor of Ainslie's sailing career and his high public profile after winning gold at the 2012 London Olympics and in the America's Cup should help unlock funding.

--

@JPMorganBAR: @AinslieBen on BAR progress for #AC35 at yesterday's @SportsPro @SportsProLive http://yhoo.it/1dZc2l6

Vsail said Ben would announce a full project in the last week of April, not sure where the details came from.

In a lot of things they're right. I wouldn't dismiss Vsail completely.

And a lot is utter bollocks. Therefore as a news source, it has let itself become worthless.

In case anyone is still blind to the blindingly obvious: From an article tweet-linked by JPMorganBAR:

--

Bank JP Morgan is a long-term sponsor of Ainslie's sailing career and his high public profile after winning gold at the 2012 London Olympics and in the America's Cup should help unlock funding.

--

@JPMorganBAR: @AinslieBen on BAR progress for #AC35 at yesterday's @SportsPro @SportsProLive http://yhoo.it/1dZc2l6

Fair enough, that's a credible source.

CNN Mainsail Part 1

Historic sailor shapes the future

MainSail|Added on March 15, 2014Russell Coutts has been tasked with shaping and securing the future of the oldest trophy in world sport.

http://edition.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/sports/2014/03/15/spc-mainsail-russell-coutts-a.cnn.html

Part 2

Russell Coutts' big challenge

MainSail|Added on March 15, 2014The most decorated sailor in the history of the America's Cup talks about leading Oracle Team as CEO in its next installm

http://edition.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/sports/2014/03/15/spc-mainsail-russell-coutts-b.cnn.html

Part 3

The changing face of America's Cup

MainSail|Added on March 15, 2014Team Aqua owner Chris Bake talks about the RC44 class which is populated with big-hitting businessmen.

http://edition.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/sports/2014/03/15/spc-mainsail-russell-coutts-c.cnn.html

In case anyone is confused why I posted those here, in Part 3 Chris Bake says he is supporting BAR. That was the first segment I saw.

Not a lot of news but it's a nice enough Mainsail edition that also includes Baird, TT and a few others.

In case anyone is confused why I posted those here, in Part 3 Chris Bake says he is supporting BAR. That was the first segment I saw.

Not a lot of news but it's a nice enough Mainsail edition that also includes Baird, TT and a few others.

Nicely spotted, Stinger. Thanks.

BTW. Interesting to see Appleton is now 'relegated' to tactician. Bake must have learnt a thing or two about driving.

^ Appleton may helm some of those races, it used to be and may still be a format where owners helm only some of them.

That Vladimir (someone) with the big beard who is Comm of the St Petersburg YC was interesting when he commented that money is no problem but having talented Russian sailors might be. Almost the reverse of normal prospective AC campaigns.

In a lot of things they're right. I wouldn't dismiss Vsail completely.

And a lot is utter bollocks. Therefore as a news source, it has let itself become worthless.

>>>In case anyone is still blind to the blindingly obvious: From an article tweet-linked by JPMorganBAR:

--

--

Fair enough, that's a credible source.

Vsail is just about the only other english-lang sailing site besides us that goes to the trouble of actually running down and breaking sailing news rather than copying and pasting press releases or restructuring months old info. he is not always right, but he is right more often than not and even when he is wrong, it's usually instructive if you know the players.

^

Lately he has been wrong more often than right. You only get a pass to be wrong every so often. As far as our jobs go, most of us barely get a pass to be wrong at all.

BTW. Interesting to see Appleton is now 'relegated' to tactician. Bake must have learnt a thing or two about driving.

Appleton was always the tactician. He drives the match racing when Bake is not there but that is generally now regarded as "a good warm up for the crew". Appleton has never driven in the fleet racing as he is a Cat 3.

^

Lately he has been wrong more often than right. You only get a pass to be wrong every so often. As far as our jobs go, most of us barely get a pass to be wrong at all.

fair enough, though guys whose jobs include digging up and exposing confidential information to the light while working against the clock typically aren't going to be right all of the time. If you're not OCS every now and again, you're never going to win anything.

Appleton was always the tactician. He drives the match racing when Bake is not there but that is generally now regarded as "a good warm up for the crew". Appleton has never driven in the fleet racing as he is a Cat 3.

Shock how many seasons has Acqua won and how many have their been?

its all in the video, which by the way is worth watching. From memory I seem to remember that they are into their 8 or 9 season and aqua has won 4 or 5 of them.

I was really surprised by how many Russian boats there were.

Vsail is just about the only other english-lang sailing site besides us that goes to the trouble of actually running down and breaking sailing news rather than copying and pasting press releases or restructuring months old info. he is not always right, but he is right more often than not and even when he is wrong, it's usually instructive if you know the players.

The way I look at many 'rumor' reports is to judge that they didn't just make the stuff up; but that their sources may be misinformed.

Similar subject, an excerpt from http://www.sail-world.com/USA/Sail-World-New-Zealand:-Website-format-changes---end-of-an-era-in-NZ/120168

--

Sail-World is growing at a rate of about 30% per year, and currently over 300,000 unique visitors come to the network each month (increasing to over 600,000 during the America's Cup and Olympics). Total visits during these events total over one million sailing fans. Since February 2012, Alexa, the independent international rating agency has rated Sail-World as the most popular sailing news website in the world. In New Zealand, Alexa ranks Sail-World is the highest ranking single sports website, and has held that position for a number of years.

me: those numbers are so big that it may explain why SW doesn't even focus on worrying about running a forums board.

The way I look at many 'rumor' reports is to judge that they didn't just make the stuff up; but that their sources may be misinformed.

I'm sure that's correct but I'm not interested in reading random rumours.

Won 4. First in 2007 and the then the last 3 years.

IIRC Aqua's first season was 2007.

Arguably the first season was 2006 for the class.

So that is won 4 out of 7/8 seasons.

Aqua's alumni consider Bake one of the best/nicest owners they have ever worked for.

Then you have to go and find the New York Times for sailing. unfortunately, it don't exist.

Similar subject, an excerpt from http://www.sail-world.com/USA/Sail-World-New-Zealand:-Website-format-changes---end-of-an-era-in-NZ/120168

--

Sail-World is growing at a rate of about 30% per year, and currently over 300,000 unique visitors come to the network each month (increasing to over 600,000 during the America's Cup and Olympics). Total visits during these events total over one million sailing fans. Since February 2012, Alexa, the independent international rating agency has rated Sail-World as the most popular sailing news website in the world. In New Zealand, Alexa ranks Sail-World is the highest ranking single sports website, and has held that position for a number of years.

me: those numbers are so big that it may explain why SW doesn't even focus on worrying about running a forums board.

Sail and Powerboat World isn't a 'sailing news website'. It's not even "Sail World." It's "Sail and Powerboat World"

And even their own advertising kit shows (unsourced) numbers lower than ours - 3M unique viewers for all of 2013, and not even from Google Analytics but likely from some server count kit. Those numbers show 9M uniques for us, by comparison. We don't even use those anymore - just GA for the advertisers because the other stuff is useless and inconsistent. Sail-World has always had small dick syndrome when it comes to SA, since their editor first got busted by Scot for using SA exclusives on his front page in the early days. Of course they grew "30%" last year. It was a cup year and they are a NZ site. It would be shameful if they didn't grow 30%.

And the reason SW doesn't have forums is because Rob Kothe is a big vagina and is afraid of liability for owning a forum in NZ. Then again maybe he's the smart one, but even without having to spend hundreds of thousands on legal defense like we have, he's still smaller than us.

Email him and ask for his Analytics for 2013 if you want and I'll happily compare them with you after you sign a NDA if you really want to pursue this line. Don't really have to though, because all the advertisers know that we produce the numbers and the original stories, and SW produces the press releases like everyone else.

^

fair enough, though guys whose jobs include digging up and exposing confidential information to the light while working against the clock typically aren't going to be right all of the time. If you're not OCS every now and again, you're never going to win anything.

Except the pickle dish.... I mean come on, that's what really matters, right?

Then you have to go and find the New York Times for sailing. unfortunately, it don't exist.

SW had good journalistic coverage of AC34. It's nonsense to say they just run press releases. Justin Chisholm ran some good interviews too. SAAC is good for discussion, sometimes, but there's been precious little to discuss lately.

^

It's donkeys years since I was there but it would perhaps be a surprising choice as there's no major infrastructure afaik. Cheap possibly!

^

It's donkeys years since I was there but it would perhaps be a surprising choice as there's no major infrastructure afaik. Cheap possibly!

Very cheap possibility, but why on earth would you want your base there? Just getting in and out of the harbour is a pain with all the traffic to contend with (naval and commercial, the restricted channels outside and the tide.

Maybe with conditions not that dissimilar of SF? (Wind,current,etc).

They'd be sailing in the Solent or Hayling Bay as there isn't enough room in Portsmouth Harbour. The Solent certainly has tidal current. Hayling Bay can generate thermal wind similar to SF but needs perfect conditions to do so. Otherwise we need Atlantic lows to generate15 knots+. Sometimes they arrive every 2-3 days (or more in winter), sometimes they don't.

"Ben Ainslie is making good progress on putting together an 80 million pounds ($130 million) British challenge for the next America's Cup, the four-times Olympic champion said on Thursday."

"Bank JP Morgan is a long-term sponsor of Ainslie's sailing career and his high public profile after winning gold at the 2012 London Olympics and in the America's Cup should help unlock funding.

"For the first time, coming back to the UK, non-sailors said I really enjoyed watching that," he said, recalling the reaction when he returned from the America's Cup last year."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/13/sailing-americas-ainslie-idUSL6N0MA44120140313

I am getting the feeling that this will be an english challenge for the cup that seriously has a chance.

It would be a landslide event when the UK wins the cup for first time after 34 minus 3 = 31 attempts (minus 3 is for the dogmatches where the UK didn't participate and minus the last cup)

But if someone knows a LVC event or other cupyear where the UK didn't participate I am most willing to hear.

I heard that Sir Ben will be sporting Union Jack underwear for the April presentation.

He is in an advertisment for dehydration drinks.

http://www.athleticsweekly.com/competitions/sosrehydrate-1817/

post-17796-0-53496900-1396955749_thumb.jpg

Portsmouth City Council offered BAR £8M subsidy if they set up team base in Camber dock in Old Portsmouth, with BAE Systems offering technical support if they decide to move there.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/olympic-star-sir-ben-ainslie-offered-8m-to-set-up-in-portsmouth-1-5986986

I'm not convinced I want my taxes spent on supporting BAR and as far regional development goes, there are more deserving cases than Portsmouth.

For example?

I'm not convinced I want my taxes spent on supporting BAR and as far regional development goes, there are more deserving cases than Portsmouth.

I expect the return on an 8 million subsidy would be significant in terms of team spend in the area over that time period. Especially if they are rolling the dice on a UK win!!!!....(not to say that the NE is not more deserving, but in this case, thats never going to happen!!!)

On that subject, if they were to win, where would they race these monsters?

I expect the return on an 8 million subsidy would be significant in terms of team spend in the area over that time period.

Whether it drags spending is the wrong question. The semi-correct question is: what's the best use of £8M in the UK for regional development (since this is central government money, not Portsmouth's)? The correct question is - and what if you let tax payers decide how to spend their own money?

(Hey Xlot, do you still think I'm an "old-fashioned European socialist"?)

I expect the return on an 8 million subsidy would be significant in terms of team spend in the area over that time period.

Whether it drags spending is the wrong question. The semi-correct question is: what's the best use of £8M in the UK for regional development (since this is central government money, not Portsmouth's)? The correct question is - and what if you let tax payers decide how to spend their own money?

(Hey Xlot, do you still think I'm an "old-fashioned European socialist"?)

It'll be a cold day in hell before that ever happens!

Would think that the infrastructure of support services available in Portsmouth make it more viable from the team's POV - Endeavour Quay etc, and the Hamble's only a short distance away. Anywhere else and you're operating in a relative desert. Plus post Olympics, it must be a little easier to hang regeneration on the back of sport.

SW had good journalistic coverage of AC34. It's nonsense to say they just run press releases. Justin Chisholm ran some good interviews too. SAAC is good for discussion, sometimes, but there's been precious little to discuss lately.

Wasn't talking about journalistic coverage whatever that fantasy means. Was talking about those with the balls to break stories about things that establishment would like to keep hidden. Happy to eat my words if you show me someone that does that in the sailing press besides Pierre and us.

Magnus used to do it, and he got threatened with litigation and folded up. Jaume Soler got sued for it and spent five years and his life savings fighting and finally winning against the Pombo/Chiravella guys. We got sued bu the same guy who went after Magnus (and we got on his radar for the same thing), and we have spent our life savings and 4 years fighting it with trial coming up in a couple of months.

Pierre walks a slightly more careful line, but has lots of enemies at the top end of the sport for his willingness to take them on. We know how he feels. Go and read Justin and SW's coverage and you'll find almost entirely sanitized stuff drawing mostly on the stuff force fed to them by the event and teams.

Hamble's only a short distance away

Well the Southern would do a nice crew dinner but other than that, I'm not too sure what relevant infrastructure exists at Hamble? There's plenty to look after your 40-50 footer but these beasts?

The semi-correct question is: what's the best use of £8M in the UK for regional development (since this is central government money, not Portsmouth's)?

Best Use...good luck with that concept

(Hey Xlot, do you still think I'm an "old-fashioned European British socialist"?)

They were the best .. (how time flies..). But wait, didn't I rather mention Major Pettigrew? No matter, somehow I cannot picture you in today's London bordello

Well the Southern would do a nice crew dinner but other than that, I'm not too sure what relevant infrastructure exists at Hamble? There's plenty to look after your 40-50 footer but these beasts?

Off the top of my head:

Diverse

TT rigging up the road in Woolston

Green Marine over Soton water in Hythe

Not all Hamble, true. But not exactly close to Falmouth, Cardiff, Plymouth or the NE.

^

None of those are exactly "infrastructure". HYS would be "infrastructure" but getting your AC6x that far up the Hamble might involve several changes of underwear.

But I think you've misunderstood my comments. I don't think BAR should locate outside the Solent. What I said was that regional aid should be directed outside the SE. Nearby areas such as Eastleigh, Winchester and East Hants have some of the lowest unemployment in the UK.

Off the top of my head:

Diverse

TT rigging up the road in Woolston

Green Marine over Soton water in Hythe

Not all Hamble, true. But not exactly close to Falmouth, Cardiff, Plymouth or the NE.

all the above would be in house stuff anyway.

dogwatch obviously means cranes, hardstands, water, access for large trucks, space etc etc. None of which hamble has in spades really

Whether it drags spending is the wrong question. The semi-correct question is: what's the best use of £8M in the UK for regional development (since this is central government money, not Portsmouth's)? The correct question is - and what if you let tax payers decide how to spend their own money?(Hey Xlot, do you still think I'm an "old-fashioned European socialist"?)

not that I care as I don't pay taxes (although I am British), but the link says city council. Is that not their own council tax earnings? Or do they get a pot from Westminster to allocate as they like?

I assumed that it would be a subsidy on their council taxes and the like, not a direct investment in the redevelopment of the quay etc. Although I guess it is just as likely they said they would,do the building up for them.

Whether it drags spending is the wrong question. The semi-correct question is: what's the best use of £8M in the UK for regional development (since this is central government money, not Portsmouth's)? The correct question is - and what if you let tax payers decide how to spend their own money?(Hey Xlot, do you still think I'm an "old-fashioned European socialist"?)

not that I care as I don't pay taxes (although I am British), but the link says city council. Is that not their own council tax earnings? Or do they get a pot from Westminster to allocate as they like?

I assumed that it would be a subsidy on their council taxes and the like, not a direct investment in the redevelopment of the quay etc. Although I guess it is just as likely they said they would,do the building up for them.

Go on!

Sell us the secret of not paying tax?

Are you an MP?

the link says city council. Is that not their own council tax earnings? Or do they get a pot from Westminster to allocate as they like?

Neither of those.

He said: ‘What I have done now is talked to the Department for Business for a bid of £8m to support the team.

We have put the bid in as a council and it’s to cover the costs of putting in the infrastructure and facilities needed.

‘We talked to the department about getting it in as an exceptional Regional Growth Fund bid.’

Department for Business is Westminster (central) government.

Portsmouth Council gets around 2/3rds of revenue from central government, not council tax, nor does it have that much discretion over how to spend it since most local authority spending goes on programmes mandated by Westminster.

Black hole discovered in Portsmouth http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/politics/council-tax-set-to-rise-in-portsmouth-to-help-plug-funding-black-hole-1-5670717

"We saw some footage today that we just had to share with you, as it lets you see the Isle of Wight as you might not have seen before."

http://onthewight.com/2014/04/09/needles-cowes-air-video-like-youve-never-seen/

That UAV technology is amazing, but there's a lot of that WightWings footage which sin't focussed well - which is a pity. Maybe operator error, or the camera gear isn't all that 'state-of-the-art'?

Visited the Island back in 2003 (on a pilgrimage to Cowes). Fabulous place, as is all the south west coast of the 'old country'.

the link says city council. Is that not their own council tax earnings? Or do they get a pot from Westminster to allocate as they like?

Neither of those.

He said: ‘What I have done now is talked to the Department for Business for a bid of £8m to support the team.

We have put the bid in as a council and it’s to cover the costs of putting in the infrastructure and facilities needed.

‘We talked to the department about getting it in as an exceptional Regional Growth Fund bid.’

Department for Business is Westminster (central) government.

Portsmouth Council gets around 2/3rds of revenue from central government, not council tax, nor does it have that much discretion over how to spend it since most local authority spending goes on programmes mandated by Westminster.

Black hole discovered in Portsmouth http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/politics/council-tax-set-to-rise-in-portsmouth-to-help-plug-funding-black-hole-1-5670717

My apologies. I never actually read the article. Just the links title in the post here.

Go on!

Are you an MP?

Live overseas in a tax free country....

Apparently this advice does not work for the yanks.

Go on!

Are you an MP?

That's fine until you decide you want to come back or at least bring cash in isn't it?

Then you have to pay tax on it, at least that's the way I understood it.

That's fine until you decide you want to come back or at least bring cash in isn't it?

Then you have to pay tax on it, at least that's the way I understood it.

I have no intention of moving back as I have spent 95% of my life abroad and the UK very much isn't my home (although I do feel British if that makes sense).

I think that only applies if you don't bother to register as a non resident. If you do register as a none resident then as long as you have your money in an offshore account I don't think you have to pay up (although I have paid my backdated national insurance contributions).

IANAL so please don't quote me on the above but I know from speaking to people that have returned that there are ways around it.

I have no intention of moving back as I have spent 95% of my life abroad and the UK very much isn't my home (although I do feel British if that makes sense).

It doesn't really, no. Not to me anyway. "British" means living, working and bluntly, contributing here.

There again, I can't get my head around the millions who feel "Irish" without having ever having lived there or even, in many cases, even been there.

It doesn't really, no. Not to me anyway. "British" means living, working and bluntly, contributing here.

There again, I can't get my head around the millions who feel "Irish" without having ever having lived there or even, in many cases, even been there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_culture_kid

^

I hadn't come across that term, interesting.

The classic to me would be Kevin Rowland, born and raised in Wolverhampton of Irish parents. For the non-Brits here, Wolverhampton is a nondescript industrial city. Think Pittsburgh, perhaps. He wrote the very funny, sarcastically anti-British "There, there my dear", a classic album-full of cod-Celtic folk/rock and a long and turgid paean to his Irish roots on that difficult third album. But when he opened his mouth, what came out was pure Brummie (British west Midlands). So was he on extra from On the Waterfront?

Some make-believe Irish tinker?

All wonderful anyway. Now back to the scheduled programme.

Back to the failed 1960s policy of "picking (industrial) winners" and throwing taxpayer money at them. It is fascinating that the Conservative-controlled Hampshire County Council co-authored a report, sponsored by a Conservative minister, proposing old-fashioned big-project dirigisme that could have come out of Harold Wilson's socialist governments.

Anyway, BAR has its hand out for £8M please. I guess that is the same £8M that Portsmouth's major is talking about but it isn't entirely clear.

The report points to Valencia as a positive example for the Solent to emulate. Bloody bankrupt Valencia with its catalogue of taxpayer-funded white elephants. Oh boy.

^ Joke or??

2139314056.jpg

It's not a bloody Opera House they need FFS!

Think Pier 80 - cranes, floats, wash down, big doors, sail loft, build area, parking etc. Cheap conversion of existing industrial/port sheds is what's needed, maybe a bit of spit and polish for the 'visitors centre' but that's it.

They'd be lucky to get a new build finished before the next AC cycle was virtually over. Poms eh?

Cheap conversion of existing industrial/port sheds is what's needed

There aren't a lot of redundant facilities like that around the Solent, because brownfield sites have been reused for housing.

This isn't NZ. The government money that being touted for isn't to support BAR to win the cup, it's to regenerate Portsmouth.

There aren't a lot of redundant facilities like that around the Solent, because brownfield sites have been reused for housing.This isn't NZ. The government money that being touted for isn't to support BAR to win the cup, it's to regenerate Portsmouth.

It'll take more than money to regenerate Portsmouth ;)

There aren't a lot of redundant facilities like that around the Solent, because brownfield sites have been reused for housing.This isn't NZ. The government money that being touted for isn't to support BAR to win the cup, it's to regenerate Portsmouth.

It'll take more than money to regenerate Portsmouth ;)

Hope they do Gosport too

There aren't a lot of redundant facilities like that around the Solent, because brownfield sites have been reused for housing.

This isn't NZ. The government money that being touted for isn't to support BAR to win the cup, it's to regenerate Portsmouth.

One will do!

Do you think there's time to get the money, get consents and build from scratch? What will Portsmouth do with that thing later? Theatre? Sewage treatment plant?

Not NZ. Meaning?

Spending the money on a sports team that will mostly compete overseas is a bit of a long bow to draw - but if Portsmouth is willing to co-sign then fair enough.

And if the result is a a round of the 'AC prelims' being held in the neighbourhood then all the better.

Do you think there's time to get the money, get consents and build from scratch? What will Portsmouth do with that thing later? Theatre? Sewage treatment plant?

Don't ask me to justify this proposal. I've made it clear elsewhere in this thread that I don't support it.

Not NZ. Meaning?

NZ spends government money to win the Cup. This isn't an application for government money to win the Cup. It's to regenerate Portsmouth.

Spen

ding the money on a sports team that will mostly compete overseas is a bit of a long bow to draw - but if Portsmouth is willing to co-sign then fair enough.

As discussed elsewhere in this thread, Portsmouth isn't "co-signing" anything. Portsmouth has no money. Portsmouth is applying for central government money.

I just hope Ben Ainslie gets his wishes and he can challenge for the 35th AC. Ben is such a class-act. I would be very happy for him.

yeah, specially when he jumps aboard some rib to smash some photographer's face.

class-act indeed.

I just hope Ben Ainslie gets his wishes and he can challenge for the 35th AC. Ben is such a class-act. I would be very happy for him.

yeah, specially when he jumps aboard some rib to smash some photographer's face.

class-act indeed.

Well...he certainly had brain-fade that day.

But not too consistent in the Extreme 40 series is he? Flashes of his old brilliance but.

class-act indeed.

Well...he certainly had brain-fade that day.

But not too consistent in the Extreme 40 series is he? Flashes of his old brilliance but.

Yeah, lacking consistency. Among that fierce and talented competition, flashes of brilliance won't put him on the podium.

But I'd to see him putting a British challenge together.