Barnyb

Team UK

^ Oh there is no doubt the bits they are swapping will be 10% or less, what we are trying to figure out is what that represents against the overall length* of the foil, some would have you believe that 90% of the mass resides in one half and 10% in the other half - which is still strong enough to lift 2.5 tons out of the water! :o

LeadKore™  indeed!

*for simplicities sake ;)

26 minutes ago, ezyb said:

But Doug told me they would have AP foils?

They need to contact DL Foiling Concepts  world headquarters ASAP to see where they have gone wrong . 

6 minutes ago, nav said:

Oh there is no doubt the bits they are swapping will be 10% or less, what we are trying to figure out is what that represents against the overall length* of the foil, some would have you believe that 90% of the mass resides in one half and 10% in the other half - which is still strong enough to lift 2.5 tons out of the water! :o LeadKore (tm) indeed!

For simplicity sake, the foil (the 90% bit) includes a tongue that sticks out most of the length of the "tip" (the 10% bit). So all the strength is in the foil and the 90% bit, Then you just slide a relatively lightweight and low strength cover over that strong tongue that gives you a different shape. As long as the tongue is smaller than the smallest tip you want, it can extend a long way in length and width, And most of the strength is in that tongue, which is no doubt different to any other foil design.

Right, that would be the sensible way to do it (how you get it to go around the corners and curves we'll leave aside, you need to be an engineer I guess) - not what they did with that museum piece photo you said we should put our faith in though was it.....the tongue was on the 'tip'

20 minutes ago, enigmatically said:

For simplicity sake, the foil (the 90% bit) includes a tongue that sticks out most of the length of the "tip" (the 10% bit). So all the strength is in the foil and the 90% bit, Then you just slide a relatively lightweight and low strength cover over that strong tongue that gives you a different shape. As long as the tongue is smaller than the smallest tip you want, it can extend a long way in length and width, And most of the strength is in that tongue, which is no doubt different to any other foil design.

Interesting possibility idea, thnx

18 minutes ago, ~Stingray~ said:

Interesting possibility idea, thnx

38 minutes ago, enigmatically said:

This is exactly what they do, I had eluded to it several times in this and other threads.

seeing the internal load bearing section back in Portsmouth on the test bed and having the process explained by one of the sailing team was a help too;-)

the outer replaceable skin as it were has no structural value hence can be very light  10% etc

the trouble is when your mate shows you stuff at the base 18 months prior to the event

a, you cant blab

b. You cant name the guy 

c. Everyone on here thinks your full of shit unless you break either a or b.

I wonder if that tongue is tatanium, as the display piece from the AC45T boat appeared to be, would also affect the derformation under load, compared to a mostly CF section - goodly or badly?

There was a brief moment in a recent MIH video where ETNZ hesitated before fully raising the 'old' foil and I swear you could see it flex quite dramaticallly as it surfaced, submerged, and resurfaced.

2 hours ago, ~Stingray~ said:

I wonder if that tongue is tatanium, as the display piece from the AC45T boat appeared to be, would also affect the derformation under load, compared to a mostly CF section - goodly or badly?

There was a brief moment in a recent MIH video where ETNZ hesitated before fully raising the 'old' foil and I swear you could see it flex quite dramaticallly as it surfaced, submerged, and resurfaced.

I don't think tatanium plays any part in current AC technology...it can be found in alcohol over indulgence....

5 hours ago, enigmatically said:

Interesting, so teams may use different solutions, changing the tips, the leading edge, the trailing edge, or the skin. It will be interesting to know the winning solution.

24 minutes ago, Kiwing said:

So to put it simply the DL foil with different skins :o

Just don't start calling them foilskins...

10 minutes ago, TurmoilJ said:

And just as well the rules prohibit changing the size & shape of the tip with hydraulic pressure ;)

OH GOD

7 hours ago, ro! said:

I don't think tatanium plays any part in current AC technology...it can be found in alcohol over indulgence....

Pinot-speak

6 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Interesting, so teams may use different solutions, changing the tips, the leading edge, the trailing edge, or the skin. It will be interesting to know the winning solution.

11 hours ago, nav said:

Right, that would be the sensible way to do it (how you get it to go around the corners and curves we'll leave aside, you need to be an engineer I guess) - not what they did with that museum piece photo you said we should put our faith in though was it.....the tongue was on the 'tip'

You obviously fail to understand the concept of prototyping in engineering

6 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Well it is interesting to know how many do this. I assumed that everyone would, sems fairly obvous to me, but GTF said that BAR were unique in this respect.

If they are, could that mean that BAR have tested their fast tips sailing and know they are good, then put on sandbagging tips for the practice races so they can suddenly become faster for the real races? 

Well a man can hope can't he?

(But if they suddenly get fast, you heard it here first)

funnily enough I agree with most of your points above.

I also originally considered that modular management of the tips would be the standard way teams would deal with optimization for conditions, working around the % change rules.  It seems obvious right?  While it seems unlikely at this stage that any team would not be trying out their best foils (you may yourself have argued this had a  long learning curve) it would be a truly audacious move to whip out a set of fast tips hidden under a tarp and say, 'lets just slip these puppies on and take off the 2 by 4 planks.....', in the knowledge that you've been testing them in tanks in Southampton and have been assured they're control capabilities are the same...... I think it's an unlikely, but an interesting thought.

I didn't mean based on tank testing. I menat that they had sailed with them in BDA and ensured they can sail fast etc, but then used slower ones to sandbag during the races. 

Without doing something like that its hard to sandbag

45 minutes ago, enigmatically said:

snip

Oh I think I do - that's why I posted the photo in the first place a year ? back. ;)

If you are going to use it as proof of something and then claim you actually meant the 'inverse'...well that's up to you.

You also failed to explain how the load bearing 'tongues' that extend most of the length if the horizontals, as you said, can be inserted into curved or kinked '10% tips' given that everything is rigid.

Has LARBAR has been forced to accept restrictions on foil shapes because of this methodology and it's limits? (you are not getting an internal 'tongue' past the kink in ETNZ's inverted gull wing foil for example) so maybe that shape was off the table for BAR - or they think it's rubbish? Or things are not as you state?

But good luck with your prediction/hope.....for the '007 tips'

There are ways, I did say that was a simplistic explanation, but yes it could impose a restriction. Without knowing all of the details of their solution I cannot say what. I would say that their lateral sections (at least some) do seem to have some curve. But it is possible that is the reason ETNZ and others decided not to go that way 

As usual, we are all guessing

4 hours ago, nav said:

Oh I think I do - that's why I posted the photo in the first place a year ? back. ;)

If you are going to use it as proof of something and then claim you actually meant the 'inverse'...well that's up to you.

You also failed to explain how the load bearing 'tongues' that extend most of the length if the horizontals, as you said, can be inserted into curved or kinked '10% tips' given that everything is rigid.

Has LARBAR has been forced to accept restrictions on foil shapes because of this methodology and it's limits? (you are not getting an internal 'tongue' past the kink in ETNZ's inverted gull wing foil for example) so maybe that shape was off the table for BAR - or they think it's rubbish? Or things are not as you state?

But good luck with your prediction/hope.....for the '007 tips'

This could very well be the reason for their problems. They may need to use fatter and straighter foils to make much of the horizontal segment interchangeable. It may have seemed as a good idea, but now they're screwed, because they can't replace the main foil and they're stuck with their system. Interestingly, the foil tips on Artemis are also pretty straight maybe they have a similar system but better executed. I think the others all have boards with more curvature in the horizontal part of the foil.

15 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

Bens Blog in the Daily Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sailing/2017/05/25/americas-cup-victory-first-attempt-would-historic-achievement/

As always he is grasping at straws. He thinks over the next week or so he can make similar gains like OTUSA during the 2013 Cup Match.

Mr. Ainslie, you & your so-called super Team failed miserably. The biggest Sailing Magazine in Europe "Yacht" estimated that you and your gang had north of 100 Million € while for example Team Japan had 40-50 Million €. You failed your Country miserably. Get out of the Sailboat Racing.

Again, and you are? The other day you questioned Frank Cammas, with more or less the same words. I don´t know who you are, and I don't care,  but I know perfectly what you are, a complete asshole

LRBAR is out there now in 20-25 kts. Looks like they are having a real handful getting the boat around the course. They keep wiping out at the bottom mark on the roundups..

GTF has her wing up, but no sailing (yet)..

1 minute ago, KenKaniff said:

LRBAR is out there now in 20-25 kts. Looks like they are having a real handful getting the boat around the course. They keep wiping out at the bottom mark on the roundups..

GTF has her wing up, but no sailing (yet)..

SBTJ had their wing up briefly too but may have thought better of going out.

Lots of ACRM boats and marks are out, just in case.

1 hour ago, Alinghi4ever said:

Bens Blog in the Daily Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sailing/2017/05/25/americas-cup-victory-first-attempt-would-historic-achievement/

As always he is grasping at straws. He thinks over the next week or so he can make similar gains like OTUSA during the 2013 Cup Match.

Mr. Ainslie, you & your so-called super Team failed miserably. The biggest Sailing Magazine in Europe "Yacht" estimated that you and your gang had north of 100 Million € while for example Team Japan had 40-50 Million €. You failed your Country miserably. Get out of the Sailboat Racing.

"Head in hands" in complete incredulity at this ridiculous uninformed bait-clicking post.  I mean... Really?                     

Hesitate to join all the experts on here, but watching the excellent videos from practice races, BAR does seem to foil incredibly badly compared to most of the rest. Her flying reminds me of the earliest Moth foilers, low in the water with a tendency to drop off the foils frequently - usually nose first. She looks lumbering compared to OR, TNZ and Artemis, which have height and stability.

I appreciate the AC is far more sophisticated than our early amateur Moth foiling trials (evidenced by the team photo above), which begs the question how can they still be foiling like a gen 1 Moth?

Obviously very disappointing for any hopeful Brits out there, but I'm still very excited to see the Cup battle to come.

On 5/25/2017 at 9:03 AM, enigmatically said:

From 0:47 to 0:50, could that be the join betwixt foil and tip where the surface changes so dramatically?

very interesting, i thought that was a reflection on first view but it didn't move with the camera.

And finally someone brings up foil skins!

I think the mass in the vertical span could add up quite quickly, the chord and thickness are so much greater than the horizontal span..

a whole morning of reading to get here tho

5 hours ago, ttc546 said:

"Head in hands" in complete incredulity at this ridiculous uninformed bait-clicking post.  I mean... Really?                     

A4E is a dick, most here know this. The sad part is I have found myself in agreement with him TWICE in the last week - it has been very disturbing for me.

16 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

All the Kiwi spinboys like you are dicks too.

Fuck off you muppet....you're supporting a redundant AC team, you have no skin in the game, yet you have the nerve to state that BAR failed miserably....at least he's here champ!

Just now, Alinghi4ever said:

Ben Ainslie ran the most clusterfuck Sailing Campaign ever in Sailing History with all the money he did have. That's my opinion.

great you have an opinion, but where is Alinghi again?? 

8 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

They will be back soon. EB can't stand LE & RC so he'll sit out until someone takes the Cup from them I believe.

Great to know.....so fuck off and leave BAR alone until after they get knocked out of the cup.....otherwise you make yourself look like a big fucking whinger for no reason whatsoever. Especially with the comment:"You failed your Country miserably. Get out of the Sailboat Racing" 

Remember EB couldn't be fucked turning up at all so at least BAR had the balls to give it a shot!!

7 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

Why should I leave BAR alone? Ainslies 2013 heroics are now a distant memory and the crappy British Press should know that.

It just makes you look petty, the racing hasn't even started yet, muppet. Why aren't you having a go at the French? BAR has every right to be here, Alinghi are having a cry somewhere so I dont think you are in the best position to be slinging shit at BAR when your darlings couldnt be fucked turning up! Did you invest some money in BAR or something...you just sound bitter!!

23 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

Ben Ainslie ran the most clusterfuck Sailing Campaign ever in Sailing History with all the money he did have. That's my opinion.

Ainslie is the face and the name, he is most certainly not the guy making the big calls - lacking the necessary management skills.  For that you are looking at Martin Whitmarsh.  He has had various leadership roles in McLaren through the last 2 decades at McLaren before being ousted in 2013, and now he has bought his talent to bear at BAR.

1 hour ago, Alinghi4ever said:

They will be back soon. EB can't stand LE & RC so he'll sit out until someone takes the Cup from them I believe.

how soon Yannick? and why?

On 25/05/2017 at 10:01 AM, nav said:

^ Oh there is no doubt the bits they are swapping will be 10% or less, what we are trying to figure out is what that represents against the overall length* of the foil, some would have you believe that 90% of the mass resides in one half and 10% in the other half - which is still strong enough to lift 2.5 tons out of the water! :o

LeadKore™  indeed!

This has a very simple explanation. Ben stole the Oracle playbook before he left, this allowed them to work out how to fill the top up with the correct amount of lead...

9 hours ago, **ONTOIT** said:

It just makes you look petty, the racing hasn't even started yet, muppet. Why aren't you having a go at the French? BAR has every right to be here, Alinghi are having a cry somewhere so I dont think you are in the best position to be slinging shit at BAR when your darlings couldnt be fucked turning up! Did you invest some money in BAR or something...you just sound bitter!!

He didn't invest money.... but love :wub::wub:

Go back 12 months and read all the gushing and Bromance from A4e for Sirben. (on the rebound from EB?)

Sirben is going to kick your butts, he's the best there ever was, look at his team, his HQ, the other Knights, all his money, the Princess, his backers, 'Best of British', T1,T2,T3,T4, F1, blah blah.

Now he has lover's remorse in a big way.

Walk of shame!

Nice shot, the new SA limits on upload size mean I can't post the larger clickable version I have...SUB-26-Y-JP-SAILING-master675.jpg

(c) ACEA 2017 Photo Ricardo Pinto

23 hours ago, ~Stingray~ said:

Jezza, hamster and captain slow all look quite extremely very sun burned.

2 hours ago, nav said:

All sorted apparently... :D

video

"One of the best sails we've had absolutely smoking"

So, didn't hit anything then?

2 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

"One of the best sails we've had absolutely smoking"

So, didn't hit anything then?

They had the Sound to themselves - perfect conditions.

3 hours ago, ~Stingray~ said:

Don't know about bringing the cup home, but someone please bring me a bucket, I'm gonna puke.

one thing i've ben wondering for a year now...did bensie break his neck at a young age? why does it always hang over his left shoulder? is it his best side?

On 2017-5-26 at 4:09 AM, raging rash said:

how soon Yannick? and why?

EB hates RC, cause he caught RC dicking his wife Kirsty (allegedly). 

14 hours ago, nav said:

All sorted apparently... :D

video

It's a fucking submarine! They know about above the water, right? 8)

14 minutes ago, Nutta said:

It's a fucking submarine! They know about above the water, right? 8)

I think they built their boat too long and are trying to adjust the waterline measurement or some shit.

2 hours ago, laser 173312 said:

EB hates RC, cause he caught RC dicking his wife Kirsty (allegedly). 

He should hate his wife (althoug I don't like RC nor EB)

Let's be real, the boat is not fast and he says the fastest boat will win. That has always been true- On the other hand, it's too much of a handicap 2 points. They could clearly get to semifinals leaving out a much faster boat. I gues GTF can be a surprise

2 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

It's too slow. However the frame "The fastest boat will always win" might not be all that accurate this year. Slingsby said a few Days ago after Practice even if you are a tad slower or only equal in speed compared to the other boat you can still win because the Race Course is much tighter this year compared to 2013.

too tight in my opinion

16 hours ago, laser 173312 said:

Don't know about bringing the cup home, but someone please bring me a bucket, I'm gonna puke.

Nah. It's OK. Quite good fun.

So an America's Cup skipper and a Formula 1 driver were sitting in a bar...

Daym Sir Ben.

Haters are gonna hate!
But Ben's gonna sail fucken fast!

Sexy AF looking foils was the secret he was hiding? Barely seen these in practice!

2 hours ago, Alinghi4ever said:

Whitmarsh just said on Facebook the Team is disadvantaged and he doesn't expect any of those 2 Races today. What a laughing stock Whitmarsh has become. Biggest mistake Ben ever made promoting the guy to CEO.

You cunt! Haha!

2 hours ago, Alinghi4ever said:

Whitmarsh just said on Facebook the Team is disadvantaged and he doesn't expect any of those 2 Races today. What a laughing stock Whitmarsh has become. Biggest mistake Ben ever made promoting the guy to CEO.

Sandbagging? Tosser

10 hours ago, darth reapius said:

Daym Sir Ben.

Haters are gonna hate!

Sexy AF looking foils was the secret he was hiding? Barely seen these in practice!

Control systems and technique. Rudder adjustments help control leach tension especially mid leach, a critical area. Same as other teams except ETNZ who instead use hydraulic jacks for the traveler. Others tried traveler jacks before. OK in light but not so in medium to heavy.

Rudder adjustments help control leach tension especially mid leach......

Please explain.

On 5/25/2017 at 10:58 AM, enigmatically said:

Well it is interesting to know how many do this. I assumed that everyone would, sems fairly obvous to me, but GTF said that BAR were unique in this respect.

If they are, could that mean that BAR have tested their fast tips sailing and know they are good, then put on sandbagging tips for the practice races so they can suddenly become faster for the real races? 

Well a man can hope can't he?

I refer to my earlier post

13 hours ago, darth reapius said:

Daym Sir Ben.

Haters are gonna hate!

I do wonder if this is the pinnacle for them.

We know other teams have more shit to come but did bar bring most of their shit out early to address the rumored speed deficit?

2 minutes ago, jaysper said:

I do wonder if this is the pinnacle for them.

We know other teams have more shit to come but did bar bring most of their shit out early to address the rumored speed deficit?

Time will tell there, they definitely are now on pace with AR, OR, TNZ and TJ, boat handling is pretty solid too. I do think OR AR and TNZ have another gear, but I think BAR's performance puts them half way there... Although I really rate as match racing starters, Dean, Nathan and Spithill as top match racing starters, and Burling as just possibly the best sailor... (but he hasn't done nearly the starting of Dean or Jimmy before...

I haven't been as impressed with Ben's match racing starting... But that's just me. I thought I would be great at it, and in my first event went 1-7 (which is literally my worst result in all events I have been in, ever) and that really showed me how much of an art it is. So I'm most worried about BAR in that sense now, I do think they might have the speed.

This is personal opinions here though in regards to the level of starting.

3 minutes ago, darth reapius said:

Time will tell there, they definitely are now on pace with AR, OR, TNZ and TJ, boat handling is pretty solid too. I do think OR AR and TNZ have another gear, but I think BAR's performance puts them half way there... Although I really rate as match racing starters, Dean, Nathan and Spithill as top match racing starters, and Burling as just possibly the best sailor... (but he hasn't done nearly the starting of Dean or Jimmy before...

I haven't been as impressed with Ben's match racing starting... But that's just me. I thought I would be great at it, and in my first event went 1-7 (which is literally my worst result in all events I have been in, ever) and that really showed me how much of an art it is. So I'm most worried about BAR in that sense now, I do think they might have the speed.

This is personal opinions here though in regards to the level of starting.

Of course they're all personal opinions :D

I think we might see evidence tomorrow of Oracle and etnz being in a league of their own. Not light years ahead but clearly ahead.

They should have kept it in the shed today to do a proper repair. Their hull will soon be badly compromised with all the salt water getting in to the aluminium core.

Dean Barker at the Press Conference "The shore team are still waiting for Ben to bring some beers down, he didn't do that last night so I hope he brings them down tonight"

"OUCH" 

When all is said and done, I confess I quite like Ben Ainslie, from when he was in ETNZ in Valencia. I still believe we might have won back then had misplaced loyalty not influenced cold hard decisions they should have made.

I don't blame Sir Ben for racing today. He's got 3 points, and probably felt he needed at least 1 more from today and perhaps 1 from tomorrow to be safe into the top 4. I quite like Campbell-James...maybe Sir Ben should consider stepping aside to concentrate on oversight of the on-the-water stategy. I think in the modern era, only one person has successfully managed and skippered an AC Challenge - Sir Russell.

6 hours ago, Indio said:

When all is said and done, I confess I quite like Ben Ainslie, from when he was in ETNZ in Valencia. I still believe we might have won back then had misplaced loyalty not influenced cold hard decisions they should have made.

I don't blame Sir Ben for racing today. He's got 3 points, and probably felt he needed at least 1 more from today and perhaps 1 from tomorrow to be safe into the top 4. I quite like Campbell-James...maybe Sir Ben should consider stepping aside to concentrate on oversight of the on-the-water stategy. I think in the modern era, only one person has successfully managed and skippered an AC Challenge - Sir Russell.

But...but, but he's the best sailor in the world, isn't he? ;)

1 hour ago, nav said:

@ 4:40   confirmed, 3 different tip sets, long, medium and short (high wind)

3 hours ago, nav said:

@ 4:40   confirmed, 3 different tip sets, long, medium and short (high wind)

He's lying, pictures... DL

5 hours ago, dent said:

boy is BAR ever lucky to have those 2 points from the ACWS.  he'd be DFL right now

Where's Team_GBR lately?

On 2017-5-29 at 4:52 AM, Indio said:

. I think in the modern era, only one person has successfully managed and skippered an AC Challenge - Sir Russell.

Did you check with John Bertrand before writing that?

9 hours ago, jorge said:

He's lying, pictures... DL

:D

3 hours ago, Alinghi4ever said:

Time for you Ben to change out your Tactician Giles Scott or let Paul Campbell-James do the Tactics otherwise you will go home.

As your Sailing Team Manager Jono Macbeth pointed out analyzing the Race it was an "Unforced Error" at Gate 3 that cost you. You should have gone high & slow and take the other Gate see here:

18808531_1268982573220409_3949601188952932352_n.jpg

I saw the race afterwards, and from my few knowledge point of view,  I would have done what you say, but it's easy talking with the morning paper.

Sir Ben and his BAR Team can turn this around. They are Champions for a reason and Im looking forward to seeing them fight back in RR2. ETNZ, OTUSA, ARTEMIS are way ahead of the pack at the moment and improving all the time. The challenge to win the Americas Cup is huge and nothing has changed now all the teams are in to it. Future Cups and what Sir Ben can do is not relevant as they are fighting in this Cup and have huge work to do to get back on track and I know they can turn it around.

Sir Ben & his BAR Team are Champions and they dont need a neville nobody like me to remind them of that fact.

The criticism is justified as they are not sailing the boat as well at this time as the other teams and have made mistakes tactical, technical etc..Sir Ben & the BAR Team will be their harshest critics as they know the others are sailing away from them at the moment but they also have the skills to turn this around. Yeah I know this is a lot of emotional hot air from me. But just because the going is tough doesnt mean you dont stop supporting your team and that is the BAR Team and I have total faith in Sir Ben Ainslie and his Champion BAR Team that they can figure this out and get back into this fight.

BAR arent out of this fight by a long way and RR2 is here and Im looking forward to seeing how a Champion Team like BAR turn around the adversity that face them now. Its RR2 no time to hide as they must perform and I cant think of anyone else youd rather see then at the helm than Sir Ben Ainslie leading his Land Rover BAR team back into the fight in the 2017 Americas Cup LVC

BAR do have a very talented helm sitting on the bench.... Leigh Macmillan!!

Why not put Leigh on the helm? Has he had enough hours?

Ben would do better calling tactics and grinding away perhaps?

But is the helm the problem? Or is it the boat?

9 minutes ago, Green Dragon1 said:

Peoples Views on Sweden vs Bar later who will win?

Gonna be a cracker! I'm picking BAR. They will have a point to prove against Artemis.

7 minutes ago, Green Dragon1 said:

Peoples Views on Sweden vs Bar later who will win?

Artemis have theyre grudge match vs the Kiwis first so BAR will be fresh and they won RR1. BAR to win!!

2 minutes ago, AustraliaII4Eva said:

Artemis have theyre grudge match vs the Kiwis first so BAR will be fresh and they won RR1. BAR to win!!

What do you think about the opening race Sweden vs the kiwis?

Just now, Green Dragon1 said:

What do you think about the opening race Sweden vs the kiwis?

An epic thriller like yesterday with Artemis & the Kiwis neck and neck. I think Nathan & Iain want to write a wrong today from that mistaken penalty yesterday