• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Barnyb

Team UK

From another thread,

From

Andrew Simpson tragedy has made 'cool kids' put safety first

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/sailing/10820882/Andrew-Simpson-tragedy-has-made-cool-kids-put-safety-first.html

--

Since October last year, Argentinian designer Juan Kouyoumdjian has not had any contact with members of the Artemis team.

Having taken a year off, he is now back working on designs for a boat for the next Americas Cup.

Will it be a surprise if the design team BAR announces soon includes Juan K?

You must be joking. You obviously don't know the history between Juan K an Andy Claughton.

You must be joking. You obviously don't know the history between Juan K an Andy Claughton.

Neither do I (although, having met Andy, I can guess). Pray do tell

Okay, not BAR then.

The paragraph says it's not Artemis either but someone has him working up designs.

Strictly no, it doesn't say there is a "someone".

Okay, not BAR then.

The paragraph says it's not Artemis either but someone has him working up designs.

Strictly no, it doesn't say there is a "someone".
Yes that's true.

However, Kate Laven wrote that after contacting Juan K directly, she includes direct quotes from him even if on the semi-related subject. That suggests it is accurate that he is working up designs, since Kate would have gotten that straight from him.

Is it likely he is either lying (why would he?) or that he's doing it just for fun, for free? Again, why would he.

There's a higher probability that he's doing some work for one of the prospective Challengers, a party already getting AC62 DR specs to look into.

Who that might be is just fun to speculate about but I agree that BAR seems unlikely even if Kate did go to him, even given the BAR- (yes, and somewhat AR too) -centric focus of her article.

My flat out guess would be the prospective Gazprom entry but only because of Gazprom sailing ties in Valencia, which may still be the location of Juan K's design office.

Stingray, no-one is going to give JuanK a job in the America's Cup after his fuckups last time. Regardless of the accident with Artemis, virtually every decision he made in the design of the boat was wrong. No foiling, centre cockpit, independent flaps on the wing. Totally clueless.

If JK's only beaking boat was in the AC...How many of his latest boats survived without breaking in the Volvo and elswere ?

Still, despite having been totally wrong. pretty brilliant guy and says he is collaborating with a team.

BTW, remember his vision, echoed by Simon, that foiler would be slower upwind because of the foils drag.

That was sooooooo wrong. The AC was won by the only boat foiling upwind !

If JK's only beaking boat was in the AC...How many of his latest boats survived without breaking in the Volvo and elswere ?

Still, despite having been totally wrong. pretty brilliant guy and says he is collaborating with a team.

BTW, remember his vision, echoed by Simon, that foiler would be slower upwind because of the foils drag.

OT but Simon was in good company: LR designer famously said same. In general, it was pretty common knowledge that the boats had too much leeway on the wind. OR slew the beast through a combination of sailing virtuosity and technology.

I give more credit to sailing virtuosity as time goes by - they had to balance all 72 feet with a vertical dagger and very little dihedral - mainly by the sheet. And BA was part of that sailing team (back OT!).

Is it likely he is either lying (why would he?) or that he's doing it just for fun, for free? Again, why would he.

Pretty much anyone who runs a business doing design or consultancy works for free from time to time to develop new ideas to pitch for business. What else are you going to do, watch daytime TV until the phone rings?

Collaborating? Thats not his stylle, he gets rid of anyne that might challenge him!

The planning application makes for interesting reading

http://idox.portsmouth.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=N4WKVQMOJKK00

Especially the employment and skills plan.. It states it would like to make over 200 temporary jobs whilst hosting a world series event in 2015-16.The would be a very fast build programme!!

Plans and other documentation is freely available to view.. Unlike many other planning applications there are letters of support from the local community.. this must be a first!

Unlike many other planning applications there are letters of support from the local community.. this must be a first!

Not at all. I have some involvement with the planning process in the south of England and letters of support from residents aren't unusual. Often with a logic that says....something is going to happen on this site and realistically, this is the best outcome we will get.

I can agree that local feeling when presented with an obvious benefit for the local community and economy (not to mention land prices) the more savvy members of the public would warm to the idea of a regeneration scheme. Its just unusual from my perspective from 30 years of assisting professional developing Both working for architects and lecturing) to see so many letters of support.

That said I was part of teams trying to blight local communities with private and affordable housing.

The drawings look quite advanced and the Architects have turned layers off for planning application purposes.I would suggest that the tender period is almost complete and all they are waiting on now is the local authority permission. they can then break ground and start. Just the sticky problem of the land purchase (which may have been completed by now)

It would appear at first glance that there was room for 3 AC45's and one AC72 internally and one on the water. This doesn't mean of course that thee will be that many of course but another indication that if a world series event were based there then there would be more than enough room at that location without need for external harbour facilities being required.

I was in this very area a few weeks ago.and although run down it did have a certain charm and a smell of dead fish that would knock a sailors socks off. The bridge is an acceptable pub though :) Thats if you can get to it after running the gaunlet of avoiding the fork lift taking ribs and motorboats in and out of the harbour.

That said I was part of teams trying to blight local communities with private and affordable housing.

Ah. When our residents write in support of a development they pretty much mean "Could have been worse. Might have been Barratts."

I can agree that local feeling when presented with an obvious benefit for the local community and economy (not to mention land prices) the more savvy members of the public would warm to the idea of a regeneration scheme. Its just unusual from my perspective from 30 years of assisting professional developing Both working for architects and lecturing) to see so many letters of support.

The drawings look quite advanced and the Architects have turned layers off for planning application purposes.I would suggest that the tender period is almost complete and all they are waiting on now is the local authority permission. they can then break ground and start. Just the sticky problem of the land purchase (which may have been completed by now)

It would appear at first glance that there was room for 3 AC45's and one AC72 internally and one on the water. This doesn't mean of course that thee will be that many of course but another indication that if a world series event were based there then there would be more than enough room at that location without need for external harbour facilities being required.

I was in this very area a few weeks ago.and although run down it did have a certain charm and a smell of dead fish that would knock a sailors socks off. The bridge is an acceptable pub though :) Thats if you can get to it after running the gaunlet of avoiding the fork lift taking ribs and motorboats in and out of the harbour.

I attended a meeting called last night by 'a group of residents' at The Royal Naval Club and Royal Albert Yacht Club in Old Portsmouth. The purpose of the meeting was to generate opposition to BAR's plans for the development of the Camber. On display was the very worst of nimbyism and self-interest purporting to be a balanced exchange of information and collection of ideas to 'support' BAR in building something that might be 'good enough' for them. As DC famously said - 'bet on self-interest, it's always running'. BAR's plans will face significant local opposition in the final stage of the planning process, so do feel free to comment via the council's planning portal if you are a resident of Portsmouth and agree that these plans are good for the city. I have become an even stronger supporter of these plans since listening to the idiots last night.. I started being very positive, but now I want to see this happen to get up the fools' noses as much as I want BAR to succeed!

I attended a meeting called last night by 'a group of residents' at The Royal Naval Club and Royal Albert Yacht Club in Old Portsmouth. The purpose of the meeting was to generate opposition to BAR's plans for the development of the Camber. On display was the very worst of nimbyism and self-interest purporting to be a balanced exchange of information and collection of ideas to 'support' BAR in building something that might be 'good enough' for them. As DC famously said - 'bet on self-interest, it's always running'. BAR's plans will face significant local opposition in the final stage of the planning process, so do feel free to comment via the council's planning portal if you are a resident of Portsmouth and agree that these plans are good for the city. I have become an even stronger supporter of these plans since listening to the idiots last night.. I started being very positive, but now I want to see this happen to get up the fools' noses as much as I want BAR to succeed!

That's unfortunate but sounds in many ways similar to what OR went through in SF for AC 34 . Granted much of Larry's efforts were profit related but the end result would have been the improvement of a rapidly declining asset.

As DC famously said - 'bet on self-interest, it's always running'.

There's nothing wrong with residents pursuing self-interest.

Personally, I don't support taxpayer's money being used for this purpose. If BA can raise private money to build on the Camber, good luck to him.

ba.jpg

Several sites are reporting that Kate will be attending.

Hope there's a helicopter about if she does.

ba.jpg

Several sites are reporting that Kate will be attending.
Hope there's a helicopter about if she does.
?
Kate Middleton's bare behind published in German tabloid

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=11262551

Enjoyed that - not as voyeurism (although ..) but as just retaliation for that picture last year in British tabloids of Angela's admittedly ample behind while changing bathing suits in Ischia, with loutish comments - Bundsomething

So are you also happy for Portsmouth council tax payers to subsidize bar?

Strictly, no subsidy will come from Portsmouth Council, which has zero spare cash. The application that has been made is to a central (UK) government budget intended to support infrastructure development following the end of naval shipbuilding in Portsmouth. As I've said several times on this thread, I don't support use of my tax money on the proposed BAR building.

If it were the case that locally raised taxes were being spent in this direction I would still support it - at greater expense us in Portsmouth get far 'less' to show for our money on lots of local government projects. This is not locally levied money though. Government (and therefore ultimately taxpayers somewhere), does have a role globally in 'priming pumps' where they want to target regeneration and where it sees a good investment opportunity. You can argue about the San Fran's taxpayers' RoI, but can you really argue against the Kiwi taxpayers' RoI over the years of its support?

can you really argue against the Kiwi taxpayers' RoI over the years of its support?

Quite easily. Investing in grand-prix yachting, which may well be a globally shrinking marketplace, instead of future growth industries. If you think it's the business of government to invest in business at all.

can you really argue against the Kiwi taxpayers' RoI over the years of its support?

Quite easily. Investing in grand-prix yachting, which may well be a globally shrinking marketplace, instead of future growth industries. If you think it's the business of government to invest in business at all.

The hard thing is to stick to your guns if you believe government should not be involved in investing in business when that investment is in your backyard or furthering a particular interest of your own (or both). Kudos to you for sticking to your principles.

Prince William’s wife will be making an appearance in London’s Greenwich area as she attends the launch of America’s Cup at the National Maritime Museum on 10 June. The racing events showcase yachts from all classes and time periods, and in the past visitors to the exhibition have had the chance to discover the history of the America's Cup since its royal beginnings in 1851.

http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty/2014052819019/kate-middleton-garden-party-americas-cup-june/

Oh lord, look what you've done. You made my click on a link to "Hello" Magazine and a million brain cells just died.

Oh lord, look what you've done. You made my click on a link to "Hello" Magazine and a million brain cells just died.

In case the Telegraph is gentler on your exquisite taste buds

--

By Tom Cary4:13PM BST 03 Jun 2014

Royal will attend private reception with Britain's finest ever sailor prior to him announcing assault on the 35th Cup

After months of speculation, the protocol for the 35th Americas Cup was finally released on Tuesday night as it emerged that the Duchess of Cambridge would attend a private breakfast reception prior to the official launch of Sir Ben Ainslies Americas Cup team next Tuesday.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/sailing/10872778/Duchess-of-Cambridge-adds-prestige-to-the-official-launch-of-Sir-Ben-Ainslies-Americas-Cup-bid.html

Oh Benny you cant win for trying .

Sir Ben has sailed into stormy waters with his plans to build his sailing headquarters in Old Portsmouth, Hants. The development would include offices, meeting rooms, training and medical facilities and a car park. But the proposal has upset residents of the waterfront area.

Opponents consider the size and design of the facility to be out of character with the area, conflicting current zoning rules, and criticize the town council for rushing the planning permission process and keeping the public at distance from the process.

With the desire for the America’s Cup to propel itself as a marketable entertainment and sporting event, perhaps it needs to first figure out how to spend less time infuriating people as a news event.

Yes - but importantly what do you guys think Kate will wear at the official opening!

Kate's a little taken at the moment , where is that Pippa gal ?

In case the Telegraph is gentler on your exquisite taste buds

You know what "Hello" magazine is, do you? Shine a torch into the ear of the average reader and light comes out the other side.

This story has just broken

Red Bull's Adrian Newey shifts sole focus from Formula 1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/27755688

Now Sir Ben was at the Barhain GP saying he'd like Newey to have a look over his AC boat.

Am I adding 2 + 2 to make 46,000,000?

Is the press conference on Tuesday on the web?

^

I know what you're thinking, but sadly it turned out she was wearing push-up panties ..

well they worked :)

Pippa-Middleton-Bridesmaid-Dress-610x619

Where did she buy the teeth.

I guess she'll grow into them.

Now Sir Ben was at the Barhain GP saying he'd like Newey to have a look over his AC boat.

A UK / BAR / Red Bull entry would be pretty cool.

He needs to find something to do as his F1 team is getting crushed .

No mention of Newey getting his feet wet in that article .

^

I know what you're thinking, but sadly it turned out she was wearing push-up panties ..

well they worked :)

Pippa-Middleton-Bridesmaid-Dress-610x619

Where did she buy the teeth.

I guess she'll grow into them.

She's British , her chompers might be in the top ten of the UK :)

He needs to find something to do as his F1 team is getting crushed .

No mention of Newey getting his feet wet in that article .

Newey would be one thing but RB providing additional backing could be big news too.

This article is more declarative, may even be true.

--

Sir Ben Ainslie is to reveal the most successful designer in the history of Formula One as part of his team to launch a British bid for the Americas Cup.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/article4112787.ece?CMP=OTH-gnws-standard-2014_06_08

If Newey could bring Red Bull sponsorship to BAR as well as his technical talents that would be super. :) It could be the difference between a good or a winning challenge.

Christian Horner did say on Sky that Newey would be working on other Red Bull projects outside F1 and Newey himself started to say on the grid that he "was going to be working outside F1", but he corrected himself to say "outside motorsport."

They would still need a good cat desugner. (Without trying to be controversial) Juan K, who was / is a pretty good boat designer had a lot of trouble making the move to cats.

Adrian N is a genius, but even he would need a bit of experience. My guess is he will be 'given' a stable platform and asked to make it 'efficient'

I think the creation of Red Bull Technology Projects and Christian Horner's comments that Newey will be 'mentoring and advising' the Red Bull team were pretty clear, along with the fact that the new entity will look after 'plane, car and boat technology'. Obviously he will not just focus on F1.

I'm sure Red Bull are pleased to keep Newey away from another F1 team. . . especially after their car caught up yesterday.

I hope all the Americans realise that as a member of the British Royal Family is going to be an ambassador for the team, everyone will be supporting BAR your side of the Atlantic as you like the Royals so much more than we do.

Newey expressed interest in AC design back in AC32.

Doubt his participation will be meaningful, but it's certainly a heavyweight name that will help with credibility with sponsors.

Plus quite a good Rolodex (*) of F1 engineering contacts.

* (Yes, I doubt anyone in F1 uses an actual Rolodex these days. They've probably had some team of Swiss write a specific, F1 only, contact tracking app.)

at http://www.sail-world.com/USA/Americas-Cup:-Ainslie-expected-to-announce-top-Fi-designer-signing/123113

--

Sir Ben Ainslie is expected to announce the assistance of Adrian Newey, the greatest Formula One designer of his generation, to help him win the 35th America's Cup for Great Britain.

English website Sportsmail reports that Newey is expected to have a hand in designing the new AC62 for as part of a new deal with Red Bull Technology which will see him continue to be involved in F1 but freed for other projects including the America's Cup.

ctd

How important will aero be for the new AC62's?

Will having an aerodynamicist of his calibre be a Cup winning advantage? Maybe. Maybe not?

It's gotta help though I'll admit. Good to see BA gathering his big guns around him.

from F1.com site

Q: When you say that Adrian is involved in other projects - could that be yachts or space projects?
CH:
Maybe Adrian is doing something on his own - you never know. We will explain later in the summer some of the projects that we are looking at. There are some exiting things in the pipeline.

Q: There is a feeling that Adrian is taking a step back because he is frustrated about the current situation - that ideas are so limited by the regulations; that the window for bright ideas is shut…
CH:
Adrian has spent 26 consecutive seasons in Formula One. He is not leaving the sport, he is not retiring - he is simply taking on a new challenge by keeping an involvement with Red Bull Racing.

from http://m.portsmouth.co.uk/news/local/meeting-about-ben-ainslie-s-old-portsmouth-plans-is-called-off-because-too-many-people-turn-up-1-6108717

Meeting about Ben Ainslies Old Portsmouth plans is called off because too many people turn up

Not surprising. The Name "Ben Ainslie" is carrying weight. Heck, the guy is probably the most popular Sailor right now. He's an absolute Superstar in Great Britain similar to Brad Wiggins & Andy Murray.

Oh for heaven's sake. It was packed because local residents want to know about the large and unconventional building that's proposed in their back yard.

from F1.com site

Q: When you say that Adrian is involved in other projects - could that be yachts or space projects?

CH: Maybe Adrian is doing something on his own - you never know. We will explain later in the summer some of the projects that we are looking at. There are some exiting things in the pipeline.

Q: There is a feeling that Adrian is taking a step back because he is frustrated about the current situation - that ideas are so limited by the regulations; that the window for bright ideas is shut…

CH: Adrian has spent 26 consecutive seasons in Formula One. He is not leaving the sport, he is not retiring - he is simply taking on a new challenge by keeping an involvement with Red Bull Racing.

; that the window for bright ideas is shut…

except for Mercedes this year who have a large performance gap

from F1.com site

CH: Maybe Adrian is doing something on his own - you never know. We will explain later in the summer some of the projects that we are looking at. There are some exiting things in the pipeline.

CH: Adrian has spent 26 consecutive seasons in Formula One. He is not leaving the sport, he is not retiring - he is simply taking on a new challenge by keeping an involvement with Red Bull Racing.

; that the window for bright ideas is shut…

except for Mercedes this year who have a large performance gap

Which is in the power unit really as I understand it.

BA, just said on the radio that the protocol was one sided. Also that Adrian Newey wouldn't at the launch of BAR's challenge today and also wouldn't confirm that he would be part of the design team.

Will having an aerodynamicist of his calibre be a Cup winning advantage? Maybe. Maybe not?

It's gotta help though I'll admit. Good to see BA gathering his big guns around him.

Adrian Newey isn't so much responsible for aerodynamics as the overall concept of the car. His talent is really aimed at going back to basics, questioning preconceived or artificial concepts, and understanding how every aspect of a rule can be manipulated for benefit.

For me the most interesting aspect of this will be to have someone of AN's mindset attack a yacht rule. I feel sorry for the measurer, one could easily see future measurement rules being very differently constructed from the one about to be issued.

Ask the question again and replace the word aerodynamics with the words fluid dynamics, and you better get your answer

.... and also wouldn't confirm that he would be part of the design team.

If he did not deny it it's almost confirming it, anyway we'll know inside 3 hours.

On what Newey could bring to the design table, I would say there is a lot that could be done with the lifting foils. Most of those I've seen are fairly basic, there are no end plates or multi element designs that I've seen. And I think foil design is quite open in the AC35 rules.

Adrian Newey isn't so much responsible for aerodynamics as the overall concept of the car. His talent is really aimed at going back to basics, questioning preconceived or artificial concepts, and understanding how every aspect of a rule can be manipulated for benefit.

For me the most interesting aspect of this will be to have someone of AN's mindset attack a yacht rule. I feel sorry for the measurer, one could easily see future measurement rules being very differently constructed from the one about to be issued.

Ask the question again and replace the word aerodynamics with the words fluid dynamics, and you better get your answer

Has he worked in fluid dynamics a lot before?

Considering the fact red bull throws money at people falling out of balloons, flying with wing suits... The AC class would be highly appealing to them. They would take it 10,000,000 miles further than Wuss or Larry!

Andy Claughton on @AinslieBen tech team “Youth & experience” inc Jason Ker, Dirk Kramer, Clay Oliver & Rodrigo Azcueta on CFD #AmericasCup

@BenAinslieRacin chairman is Sir Charles Dunstone, Carphone Warehouse: "Not backing this team but defining this team, with Ben at the helm"

Sailing team for @AinslieBen will be Jono Macbeth, David Carr, Matt Cornwell, Nick Hutton, Andy McLean

11:54

Jono Macbeth confirmed as sailing team manager: "This will be my sixth America's cup."

There's no live coverage I can find. BBC news will have 5 minutes report at 12:30, but it is not being shown live on TV in UK.

Ainslie says a formal entry will be made within 2 months, so this isn't even a confirmation of entry. Seems to be a bit of a none event.

video will apparently be coming later today. the BBC told them they wouldn't stream it worldwide and wouldn't stream it at all if BAR allowed a non BBC live stream.

video will apparently be coming later today. apparently the BBC told them they wouldn't stream it worldwide and wouldn't stream it at all if BAR allowed a non BBC live stream.

Lesson for Ainslie then, as BBC didn't stream it in the UK anyway.

I guess the argument is that online streaming gets the news to those that want to see it, whilst getting 5 minutes on BBC News reaches a lot of people who would not otherwise see it?

All those tellieboxes in hotels, bars, offices on BBC News will show the clips for the rest of the day, and that will reach a lot more people than a live streamed press conference.