• Announcements

    • Zapata

      Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

      Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Barnyb

Team UK

4,404 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, jorge said:

Let's be real, the boat is not fast and he says the fastest boat will win. That has always been true- On the other hand, it's too much of a handicap 2 points. They could clearly get to semifinals leaving out a much faster boat. I gues GTF can be a surprise

It's too slow. However the frame "The fastest boat will always win" might not be all that accurate this year. Slingsby said a few Days ago after Practice even if you are a tad slower or only equal in speed compared to the other boat you can still win because the Race Course is much tighter this year compared to 2013.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

It's too slow. However the frame "The fastest boat will always win" might not be all that accurate this year. Slingsby said a few Days ago after Practice even if you are a tad slower or only equal in speed compared to the other boat you can still win because the Race Course is much tighter this year compared to 2013.

too tight in my opinion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jorge said:

too tight in my opinion

Yes, I agree. The Course/Distance between the Leeward and Windward Gates this year is much smaller compared to SF so in the end it might come down to 60 % Speed / 40 % maneuverability or close to something like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, laser 173312 said:

Don't know about bringing the cup home, but someone please bring me a bucket, I'm gonna puke.

Nah. It's OK. Quite good fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So an America's Cup skipper and a Formula 1 driver were sitting in a bar...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whitmarsh just said on Facebook the Team is disadvantaged and he doesn't expect any of those 2 Races today. What a laughing stock Whitmarsh has become. Biggest mistake Ben ever made promoting the guy to CEO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Uh oh, BAR's time is to prove the haters wrong is upon us!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well,well,well......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Daym Sir Ben.

Haters are gonna hate!
But Ben's gonna sail fucken fast!

Sexy AF looking foils was the secret he was hiding? Barely seen these in practice!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Alinghi4ever said:

Whitmarsh just said on Facebook the Team is disadvantaged and he doesn't expect any of those 2 Races today. What a laughing stock Whitmarsh has become. Biggest mistake Ben ever made promoting the guy to CEO.

You cunt! Haha!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Alinghi4ever said:

Whitmarsh just said on Facebook the Team is disadvantaged and he doesn't expect any of those 2 Races today. What a laughing stock Whitmarsh has become. Biggest mistake Ben ever made promoting the guy to CEO.

Sandbagging? Tosser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why so quiet now? What's up A4E? A2M more like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, darth reapius said:

Daym Sir Ben.

Haters are gonna hate!
But Ben's gonna sail fucken fast!

Sexy AF looking foils was the secret he was hiding? Barely seen these in practice!

Control systems and technique. Rudder adjustments help control leach tension especially mid leach, a critical area. Same as other teams except ETNZ who instead use hydraulic jacks for the traveler. Others tried traveler jacks before. OK in light but not so in medium to heavy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rudder adjustments help control leach tension especially mid leach......

Please explain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/25/2017 at 10:58 AM, enigmatically said:

 

You obviously fail to understand the concept of prototyping in engineering

 

Well it is interesting to know how many do this. I assumed that everyone would, sems fairly obvous to me, but GTF said that BAR were unique in this respect.

If they are, could that mean that BAR have tested their fast tips sailing and know they are good, then put on sandbagging tips for the practice races so they can suddenly become faster for the real races? 

Well a man can hope can't he?

(But if they suddenly get fast, you heard it here first)

I refer to my earlier post

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, darth reapius said:

Daym Sir Ben.

Haters are gonna hate!
But Ben's gonna sail fucken fast!

Sexy AF looking foils was the secret he was hiding? Barely seen these in practice!

I do wonder if this is the pinnacle for them.

We know other teams have more shit to come but did bar bring most of their shit out early to address the rumored speed deficit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jaysper said:

I do wonder if this is the pinnacle for them.

We know other teams have more shit to come but did bar bring most of their shit out early to address the rumored speed deficit?

Time will tell there, they definitely are now on pace with AR, OR, TNZ and TJ, boat handling is pretty solid too. I do think OR AR and TNZ have another gear, but I think BAR's performance puts them half way there... Although I really rate as match racing starters, Dean, Nathan and Spithill as top match racing starters, and Burling as just possibly the best sailor... (but he hasn't done nearly the starting of Dean or Jimmy before...

I haven't been as impressed with Ben's match racing starting... But that's just me. I thought I would be great at it, and in my first event went 1-7 (which is literally my worst result in all events I have been in, ever) and that really showed me how much of an art it is. So I'm most worried about BAR in that sense now, I do think they might have the speed.

This is personal opinions here though in regards to the level of starting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, darth reapius said:

Time will tell there, they definitely are now on pace with AR, OR, TNZ and TJ, boat handling is pretty solid too. I do think OR AR and TNZ have another gear, but I think BAR's performance puts them half way there... Although I really rate as match racing starters, Dean, Nathan and Spithill as top match racing starters, and Burling as just possibly the best sailor... (but he hasn't done nearly the starting of Dean or Jimmy before...

I haven't been as impressed with Ben's match racing starting... But that's just me. I thought I would be great at it, and in my first event went 1-7 (which is literally my worst result in all events I have been in, ever) and that really showed me how much of an art it is. So I'm most worried about BAR in that sense now, I do think they might have the speed.

This is personal opinions here though in regards to the level of starting.

Of course they're all personal opinions :D

I think we might see evidence tomorrow of Oracle and etnz being in a league of their own. Not light years ahead but clearly ahead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, ~Stingray~ said:

Pretty heroic effort by these guys. Same for SoftBank Team Japan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They should have kept it in the shed today to do a proper repair. Their hull will soon be badly compromised with all the salt water getting in to the aluminium core.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dean Barker at the Press Conference "The shore team are still waiting for Ben to bring some beers down, he didn't do that last night so I hope he brings them down tonight"

"OUCH" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When all is said and done, I confess I quite like Ben Ainslie, from when he was in ETNZ in Valencia. I still believe we might have won back then had misplaced loyalty not influenced cold hard decisions they should have made.

I don't blame Sir Ben for racing today. He's got 3 points, and probably felt he needed at least 1 more from today and perhaps 1 from tomorrow to be safe into the top 4. I quite like Campbell-James...maybe Sir Ben should consider stepping aside to concentrate on oversight of the on-the-water stategy. I think in the modern era, only one person has successfully managed and skippered an AC Challenge - Sir Russell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Indio said:

When all is said and done, I confess I quite like Ben Ainslie, from when he was in ETNZ in Valencia. I still believe we might have won back then had misplaced loyalty not influenced cold hard decisions they should have made.

I don't blame Sir Ben for racing today. He's got 3 points, and probably felt he needed at least 1 more from today and perhaps 1 from tomorrow to be safe into the top 4. I quite like Campbell-James...maybe Sir Ben should consider stepping aside to concentrate on oversight of the on-the-water stategy. I think in the modern era, only one person has successfully managed and skippered an AC Challenge - Sir Russell.

But...but, but he's the best sailor in the world, isn't he? ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

But...but, but he's the best sailor in the world, isn't he? ;)

Not really. He's getting too old for this Game just like Barker. Sailing & steering these new AC 50 Boats it's kind of a "Young Man's" Game now see Burling, Outerridge. I can't wait for the Red Bull Youth America's Cup. Their Youth Team is pretty decent. I would not be surprised if BAR promotes the Helmsman of their Land Rover Academy Squad to the Pro-Squad for AC 36 assuming we stay in the AC 50 Boats.

And Ben Ainslie as CEO of Land Rover BAR for AC 36. Why not?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

boy is BAR ever lucky to have those 2 points from the ACWS.  he'd be DFL right now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nav said:

 

@ 4:40   confirmed, 3 different tip sets, long, medium and short (high wind)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, nav said:

@ 4:40   confirmed, 3 different tip sets, long, medium and short (high wind)

He's lying, pictures... DL

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dent said:

boy is BAR ever lucky to have those 2 points from the ACWS.  he'd be DFL right now

Where's Team_GBR lately?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-5-29 at 4:52 AM, Indio said:

. I think in the modern era, only one person has successfully managed and skippered an AC Challenge - Sir Russell.

Did you check with John Bertrand before writing that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jorge said:

He's lying, pictures... DL

 

 

 

:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Time for you Ben to change out your Tactician Giles Scott or let Paul Campbell-James do the Tactics otherwise you will go home.

As your Sailing Team Manager Jono Macbeth pointed out analyzing the Race it was an "Unforced Error" at Gate 3 that cost you. You should have gone high & slow and take the other Gate see here:

18808531_1268982573220409_3949601188952932352_n.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Alinghi4ever said:

Time for you Ben to change out your Tactician Giles Scott or let Paul Campbell-James do the Tactics otherwise you will go home.

As your Sailing Team Manager Jono Macbeth pointed out analyzing the Race it was an "Unforced Error" at Gate 3 that cost you. You should have gone high & slow and take the other Gate see here:

18808531_1268982573220409_3949601188952932352_n.jpg

I saw the race afterwards, and from my few knowledge point of view,  I would have done what you say, but it's easy talking with the morning paper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sir Ben and his BAR Team can turn this around. They are Champions for a reason and Im looking forward to seeing them fight back in RR2. ETNZ, OTUSA, ARTEMIS are way ahead of the pack at the moment and improving all the time. The challenge to win the Americas Cup is huge and nothing has changed now all the teams are in to it. Future Cups and what Sir Ben can do is not relevant as they are fighting in this Cup and have huge work to do to get back on track and I know they can turn it around.

Sir Ben & his BAR Team are Champions and they dont need a neville nobody like me to remind them of that fact.

The criticism is justified as they are not sailing the boat as well at this time as the other teams and have made mistakes tactical, technical etc..Sir Ben & the BAR Team will be their harshest critics as they know the others are sailing away from them at the moment but they also have the skills to turn this around. Yeah I know this is a lot of emotional hot air from me. But just because the going is tough doesnt mean you dont stop supporting your team and that is the BAR Team and I have total faith in Sir Ben Ainslie and his Champion BAR Team that they can figure this out and get back into this fight.

BAR arent out of this fight by a long way and RR2 is here and Im looking forward to seeing how a Champion Team like BAR turn around the adversity that face them now. Its RR2 no time to hide as they must perform and I cant think of anyone else youd rather see then at the helm than Sir Ben Ainslie leading his Land Rover BAR team back into the fight in the 2017 Americas Cup LVC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BAR do have a very talented helm sitting on the bench.... Leigh Macmillan!!

Why not put Leigh on the helm? Has he had enough hours?

Ben would do better calling tactics and grinding away perhaps?

But is the helm the problem? Or is it the boat?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Peoples Views on Sweden vs Bar later who will win?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Green Dragon1 said:

Peoples Views on Sweden vs Bar later who will win?

 

Gonna be a cracker! I'm picking BAR. They will have a point to prove against Artemis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Green Dragon1 said:

Peoples Views on Sweden vs Bar later who will win?

 

Artemis have theyre grudge match vs the Kiwis first so BAR will be fresh and they won RR1. BAR to win!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AustraliaII4Eva said:

Artemis have theyre grudge match vs the Kiwis first so BAR will be fresh and they won RR1. BAR to win!!

 

What do you think about the opening race Sweden vs the kiwis?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Purple Headed Warrior said:

BAR do have a very talented helm sitting on the bench.... Leigh Macmillan!!

Why not put Leigh on the helm? Has he had enough hours?

Ben would do better calling tactics and grinding away perhaps?

But is the helm the problem? Or is it the boat?

The Helm ain't the Problem, it's the boat. They're struggling for upwind speed as well as Crew handling during the Foiling Tacks similar to Oracle Team USA in the 2013 Cup Match.

The Designers have to find something in their back room.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Green Dragon1 said:

What do you think about the opening race Sweden vs the kiwis?

An epic thriller like yesterday with Artemis & the Kiwis neck and neck. I think Nathan & Iain want to write a wrong today from that mistaken penalty yesterday

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, jorge said:

I saw the race afterwards, and from my few knowledge point of view,  I would have done what you say, but it's easy talking with the morning paper.

I know, easy to say for us sitting in the comfort of the couch at home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Go GBR.... at last a bit of British magic.....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TBH, he has had a number of good starts. It just tended to go downhill after that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Alinghi4ever said:

I know, easy to say for us sitting in the comfort of the couch at home.

Maybe remember that before you pile in saying how shit they are?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

Maybe remember that before you pile in saying how shit they are?

Perhaps you're right about the coach stuff. But you cannot deny that their performance has been almost shit. They have lost four races, and if not were for the points they gained in an event raced in completely different boats (ridiculous) they would be dangling on a tight rope.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is clear is that the racing is more open than anyone imagined.

fra beating swe?

swe beating nz ( around the course excluding protest)

bar doing swe twice in a row?

some boats are definitely sailing better in certain conditions than others 

foil set ups and wind strengths are critical I think, certainly the speed that Artemis had upwind yesterday was fucking stupid, I can't see anyone living with them (if they get through) and it's windy 

from my point of view supporting BAR if we can have the same wind tomorrw that would be lovely, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ~Stingray~ said:

BAR looked fast today, really surprised me. 

That's because they didn't bury the bows rounding the mark.

In at least 2 races they have lost touch with their opponent after having done just that. In the most recent case (I think) they lost about 500m because they took an age to get the boat back up onto the foils, which is a separate matter again.

Whilst their boat speed doesn't appear blistering, it doesn't seem to be a limiting factor on their ability to win (at least more than they have).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

Maybe remember that before you pile in saying how shit they are?

I know that A4E can be a mega-douche, especially with respect to BAR (maybe hates poms?)

But he does speak truth here. They have been pretty bloody terrible.

If they are lucky, it is a lack of skill which can (hopefully) be rectified more quickly than the likely problem of poor boat design.

Top speed seems to be much less of a problem than keeping her on the foils. Lack of hydro? Crap foils? Goodness knows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ~Stingray~ said:

BAR looked fast today, really surprised me. 

Wasn't so much as BAR being fast as Artemis being slow having chosen their light air boards for today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

Wasn't so much as BAR being fast as Artemis being slow having chosen their light air boards for today.

Doug won't be surprised. He'll happily advise them they should have built AP's to reconfigure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, jaysper said:

I know that A4E can be a mega-douche, especially with respect to BAR (maybe hates poms?)

But he does speak truth here. They have been pretty bloody terrible.

If they are lucky, it is a lack of skill which can (hopefully) be rectified more quickly than the likely problem of poor boat design.

Top speed seems to be much less of a problem than keeping her on the foils. Lack of hydro? Crap foils? Goodness knows.

Big mystery to me too after they built three T boats and spent months  (years?) developing on the Solent. Hydro issues would be my first guess for being their biggest problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ~Stingray~ said:

Big mystery to me too after they built three T boats and spent months  (years?) developing on the Solent. Hydro issues would be my first guess for being their biggest problem.

Differences in salinity? ^_^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

no one has answered my very serious question...

WTF is wrong with Sah Bin's neck?

 

BARamming.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If BAR beat France tomorrow then BAR. Is certain of making the semi final because     BAR will have 5 points.

The only way for France to get 5 points would be to beat Artemis.

The only way for Artemis to get 5 points would be to beat France.

Since one result excludes the other, BAR  would be mathematically certain of the next round....provided BAR beats France,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Rimmer said:

Wasn't so much as BAR being fast as Artemis being slow having chosen their light air boards for today.

I dunno BAR were pretty hot today, that 18kt foiling tack was slick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So if Artemis chose their light air boards and were slow and BAR chose their light air boards and beat them then BAR have a faster light air set up? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

So if Artemis chose their light air boards and were slow and BAR chose their light air boards and beat them then BAR have a faster light air set up? 

IF A AND IF B THEN C

 

regrettably it is all speculation, but that does seem to fit some of the facts.

 

One might speculate that Ben optimised for expected cup conditions (light air) and is trying to do just enough to get through the qualifiers (medium to heavy air).

But it's all just speculation. I don't think they have any massive tricks up their sleeves, they  are just trying to grind out the result.

 

If anyone can grind out a result from a sub optimal package, I would put my money on Ben.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, jjhplus9 said:

If anyone can grind out a result from a sub optimal package, I would put my money on Ben.

Thats a terrible slight on his manhood

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All I will say is I hope A4E doesn't start supporting ETNZ...every fucking team he starts supporting turns into a DOG...BAR, they turn to shit so then he switches to AR, they look like they have turned to shit....well BAR looked ok today...time will tell, but it's funny to watch him change only for that team to turn into a steaming pile of shit!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jjhplus9 said:

IF A AND IF B THEN C

 

 

Goddamn it. I think jjh is onto something.

This would explain Artemis' up and down performance and pretty much everything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, **ONTOIT** said:

All I will say is I hope A4E doesn't start supporting ETNZ...every fucking team he starts supporting turns into a DOG...BAR, they turn to shit so then he switches to AR, they look like they have turned to shit....well BAR looked ok today...time will tell, but it's funny to watch him change only for that team to turn into a steaming pile of shit!

You have a point

A4E- if you start supporting Oracle, we will all have a whip round and make it very worth your while

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, enigmatically said:

You have a point

A4E- if you start supporting Oracle, we will all have a whip round and make it very worth your while

Of Course I will support Oracle Team USA if the AC Match is OTUSA vs ETNZ just like I did in 2013 :D

I also will attack the Kiwi Posters here with real venom. Pigs will fly :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now if we can get a win againt ETNZ it will really put the cat among the pigeons

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mambo Kings said:

Goddamn it. I think jjh is onto something.

This would explain Artemis' up and down performance and pretty much everything.

lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, enigmatically said:

Now if we can get a win againt ETNZ it will really put the cat among the pigeons

You're dreaming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

You're dreaming.

So you are saying ETNZ will beat BAR?

Excellent news 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, enigmatically said:

Now if we can get a win againt ETNZ it will really put the cat among the pigeons

It would, and not out of the realms of possibility. The Poms looked good yesterday, but the Kiwis are no slouches, and NZ will make them earn it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, enigmatically said:

So you are saying ETNZ will beat BAR?

Excellent news 

Of Course they will. BAR will never ever take a win of OTUSA or ETNZ. They would need more Speed over a wide range of conditions and they don't have that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stats Sweden vs Great Britain from yesterday....how GB beat Sweden....Fly Time is pretty astounding. 99.7 %...but they were also over 1.5 knots faster. That's always how you win a Race.

Large_Rg170529AmCupDay40491.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice tribute to Kiwi Jono Macbeth

"The bloke's done like 20 America's Cup matches," Carr noted. "You cannot buy that experience. I think Jono would be the first to say that, physically, guys like Bleddyn [Mon] and Neil [Hunter], the young guys who also sail in his spot, are fitter than him.

"He's still a strong old beast. That's why we call him The Bear. But his temperament today blew me away. In four years of sailing with BAR that is actually the first race I have done with Jono. But he brought an attitude on to the boat that resonated across the crew."

Ainslie was similarly impressed. "That was why I wanted him on the boat because we've been having a tough time," he said.

"If the guys on the other boats look across and see him, it probably puts the shivers down them a bit. It helped to settle the boat. That's what you need, to bring on big name players and put on a performance."

 

Racing today

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Indio said:

Nice tribute to Kiwi Jono Macbeth

"The bloke's done like 20 America's Cup matches," Carr noted. "You cannot buy that experience. I think Jono would be the first to say that, physically, guys like Bleddyn [Mon] and Neil [Hunter], the young guys who also sail in his spot, are fitter than him.

"He's still a strong old beast. That's why we call him The Bear. But his temperament today blew me away. In four years of sailing with BAR that is actually the first race I have done with Jono. But he brought an attitude on to the boat that resonated across the crew."

Ainslie was similarly impressed. "That was why I wanted him on the boat because we've been having a tough time," he said.

"If the guys on the other boats look across and see him, it probably puts the shivers down them a bit. It helped to settle the boat. That's what you need, to bring on big name players and put on a performance."

 

Racing today

Legend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More interesting than usual - still stuffed her kid in there though?!

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, nav said:

More interesting than usual - still stuffed her kid in there though?!

 

 

 

 

 

 

Good for her...nice familial touch in a relaxed forum...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BAR are through to the next round

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mambo Kings said:

BAR are through to the next round

just prolonging the pain. BA looking like a broken man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the flight time indicator on the TV feed is wrong. Oracle touched down against France the other day (I think it was during a mark rounding) yet the flight time showed 100%. Even Ken Read had a bit of a chuckle about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup, the semi finals of the LV probably get decided over the next two days of round robin 2.  Artemis and Softbank will be battling to determine who gets the bye (matched vs BAR) and who has to go up against TNZ.

BAR's team clearly very strong tactically but no match in speed in lighter airs with the 4 stronger teams.  Need to revisit foil design and/or technique

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

just prolonging the pain. BA looking like a broken man

Depends whom they face. Against ETNZ they likely going home but I'm not sure about when facing Artemis or SoftBank. Artemis they beat twice and against SoftBank they had a crash and therefore after that their primary concern was getting the boat back to the dock.

LRBAR CEO Martin Whitmarsh said the crash against Japan came very close ending their AC Campaign....see here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sailing/2017/05/28/crash-came-close-ending-ben-ainslies-americas-cup-campaign-team/

So they were very, very lucky to still be sailing after last Saturday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GTFrance are going home unless Artemis loses to the OR tag team tomorrow, in which case it's all to race for on Saturday. Artemis only has to pinch a win tomorrow against either OR-Xerox or OR-JPN. 

On the current standings, ETNZ should select BAR for their semi opponent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Indio said:

{snip}

On the current standings, ETNZ should select BAR for their semi opponent.

Why would they not pick the potentially strongest team and eliminate them before they can develop enough to be dangerous?

Then the team they get for finals won't be as battle hardened either...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/06/2017 at 2:51 AM, Alinghi4ever said:

Stats Sweden vs Great Britain from yesterday....how GB beat Sweden....Fly Time is pretty astounding. 99.7 %...but they were also over 1.5 knots faster. That's always how you win a Race.

Large_Rg170529AmCupDay40491.JPG

It also helps if your tactics give you one less maneuver to perform.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Nutta said:

Why would they not pick the potentially strongest team and eliminate them before they can develop enough to be dangerous?

Then the team they get for finals won't be as battle hardened either...

The points say BAR are the strongest of the rest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Mambo Kings said:

Yup, the semi finals of the LV probably get decided over the next two days of round robin 2.  Artemis and Softbank will be battling to determine who gets the bye (matched vs BAR) and who has to go up against TNZ.

BAR's team clearly very strong tactically but no match in speed in lighter airs with the 4 stronger teams.  Need to revisit foil design and/or technique

LRBAR seems to have enough speed in the mid range. In light they seems to be very slow and when the breeze picks up they are dropping off the foils a lot, or slow.

AR is at ETNZ pace when it blows, but that's it.

2 of SBTJs wins have been against TF and the 3rd involved a damaged opponent. Referring to them as one of the "4 strong teams" is a joke. TF must have everything crossed for a SBTJ win against AR!

It's possible BARs match with SBTJ will decide who they face in the knock out from the look of it, so still expecting ETNZ v SBTJ + LRBAR v AR as the match up for the knock outs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, rgeek said:

LRBAR seems to have enough speed in the mid range. In light they seems to be very slow and when the breeze picks up they are dropping off the foils a lot, or slow.

AR is at ETNZ pace when it blows, but that's it.

2 of SBTJs wins have been against TF and the 3rd involved a damaged opponent. Referring to them as one of the "4 strong teams" is a joke. TF must have everything crossed for a SBTJ win against AR!

It's possible BARs match with SBTJ will decide who they face in the knock out from the look of it, so still expecting ETNZ v SBTJ + LRBAR v AR as the match up for the knock outs.

Honestly I think as long as BAR isn't facing ETNZ they have a shot progressing to the Final. Should they face ETNZ they're likely going home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alinghi4ever said:

Honestly I think as long as BAR isn't facing ETNZ they have a shot progressing to the Final. Should they face ETNZ they're likely going home.

Can't see how BAR can make the cup proper with out facing ETNZ, and then it's goodnight sweetheart.

USA and TNZ look to be on a different level to the other 4. Who is better between them I don't know, but I know who I want to be better.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recon the only challenger standing in ETNZ way is AR and then only if it blows. Light windustrial for the cup and you have to have them as substantial favorites at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, laser 173312 said:

Can't see how BAR can make the cup proper with out facing ETNZ, and then it's goodnight sweetheart.

USA and TNZ look to be on a different level to the other 4. Who is better between them I don't know, but I know who I want to be better.

 

Yeh, different level when Artemis just trounced Oracle today. And all that doom and gloom about Artemis not being competitive in light air is just premature and crap. NO will teach PB a new one when they face each other in the Challenger Semis or Final and by that time ETNZ won't get away with bad Umpire Calls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Alinghi4ever said:

Honestly I think as long as BAR isn't facing ETNZ they have a shot progressing to the Final. Should they face ETNZ they're likely going home.

I think it likely that TNZ will choose BAR in order to have a safe predictable passage to the LV final. They dont want to mess with the unpredicable Artemis at this stage, and nor do they want to make it too easy on Artemis by handing them BAR on a plate.

 

My guess (and purely speculation) is that the semis are:

TNZ vs BAR

Artemis vs STJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Indio said:

The points say BAR are the strongest of the rest.

I am wondering if BA is not secretly wishing he was going home tomorrow instead of Frank. He only just scraped a win over the French yesterday and now faces dragging the agony out for another series knowing that his boat and crew will never be fast enough. For a multi Gold Medallist it is certainly not where he wants to be.  At some stage he will have to explain to Queen Kate what went wrong. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

I am wondering if BA is not secretly wishing he was going home tomorrow instead of Frank. He only just scraped a win over the French yesterday and now faces dragging the agony out for another series knowing that his boat and crew will never be fast enough. For a multi Gold Medallist it is certainly not where he wants to be.  At some stage he will have to explain to Queen Kate what went wrong. 

That's BS from you. They wouldn't have built a "State of the Art Base" back home in Portsmouth if this would be a one shot try. Ben however will likely not be at the helm for AC 36

He's 40 now and I could see him during the role of CEO for AC 36. If the Cats stay expect McMillan to helm or someone from the LRBAR Academy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, winchfodder said:

I am wondering if BA is not secretly wishing he was going home tomorrow instead of Frank. He only just scraped a win over the French yesterday and now faces dragging the agony out for another series knowing that his boat and crew will never be fast enough. For a multi Gold Medallist it is certainly not where he wants to be.  At some stage he will have to explain to Queen Kate what went wrong. 

Think it's fair to say ETNZ will select BAR for the LVC semis. Can't see anything else other than a love score for BAR. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alinghi4ever said:

That's BS from you. They wouldn't have built a "State of the Art Base" back home in Portsmouth if this would be a one shot try. Ben however will likely not be at the helm for AC 36

He's 40 now and I could see him during the role of CEO for AC 36. If the Cats stay expect McMillan to helm or someone from the LRBAR Academy.

I was referring to the current series with next week's semifinals., not his plans for the future.

As for the Portsmouth he wouldn't have built it if he had not persuaded the government to give him £9 million cash. That investment not looking so good now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, FinnFish said:

Think it's fair to say ETNZ will select BAR for the LVC semis. Can't see anything else other than a love score for BAR. 

Might not be the best option with Ben with a seriously sore head from the humiliation the day before. He might lash out again and ETNZ don't want any more damage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now