• Announcements

    • Zapata

      Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

      Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Barnyb

Team UK

4,405 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, FinnFish said:

Think it's fair to say ETNZ will select BAR for the LVC semis. Can't see anything else other than a love score for BAR. 

Might not be the best option with Ben with a seriously sore head from the humiliation the day before. He might lash out again and ETNZ don't want any more damage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

I was referring to the current series with next week's semifinals., not his plans for the future.

As for the Portsmouth he wouldn't have built it if he had not persuaded the government to give him £9 million cash. That investment not looking so good now. 

That investment goes beyond the America's Cup itself. Land Rover BAR will become the best of British Sailing in the long run. One of the big reasons why Ben created LRBAR is because he didn't want beholden to anyone else courtesy of what happened between Larry & Ernesto and the Courts therefore tearing Team Origin apart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For example:

Artemis is beholden to Torbjörn Törnqvist so if he decides after this Cup he is done with it Team ART is done as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

Might not be the best option with Ben with a seriously sore head from the humiliation the day before. He might lash out again and ETNZ don't want any more damage. 

Don't think he'll ever get that close.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Alinghi4ever said:

That's BS from you. They wouldn't have built a "State of the Art Base" back home in Portsmouth if this would be a one shot try. Ben however will likely not be at the helm for AC 36

He's 40 now and I could see him during the role of CEO for AC 36. If the Cats stay expect McMillan to helm or someone from the LRBAR Academy.

I don't think he should have been driving the boat this time anyway, not enough multihull history in depth in his cv and then taking on el Supremo PR role and all that goes with that has been too much, and it shows.  Too old - quite possibly, and also not technical enough to pick up on issues like the maneuverability until it's too late in the day.  So many practical sailing issues seem to have escaped the team in general, and just being able to stay on the foils at the expense of a minor top speed loss possibly has been one of those.

Will the funding keep on coming?  Rather doubt it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GBH said:

I don't think he should have been driving the boat this time anyway, not enough multihull history in depth in his cv and then taking on el Supremo PR role and all that goes with that has been too much, and it shows.  Too old - quite possibly, and also not technical enough to pick up on issues like the maneuverability until it's too late in the day.  So many practical sailing issues seem to have escaped the team in general, and just being able to stay on the foils at the expense of a minor top speed loss possibly has been one of those.

Will the funding keep on coming?  Rather doubt it. 

Why wouldn't they keep funding his Team? In a few years Land Rover BAR will certainly be amongst the Top among British Sailing no matter if Multi or Mono. Everyone inside the Land Rover BAR operation should take a deep breath and say this was our first Challenge and first-time Challengers rarely win it on the first try.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Imagine if despite their pre-declared intent to participate in multiple AC contests and the massive investment in personnel, research and infrastructure they become so disenchanted with legal manoeuvring and bad-faith that they withdraw and shut down after one attempt!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, nav said:

Imagine if despite their pre-declared intent to participate in multiple AC contests and a massive investment in personnel, research and infrastructure they become so disenchanted with the legal manoeuvring and bad-faith that they withdraw and shut down after one attempt!

That's precisely the reason why Ben Ainslie named the Team after himself. He doesn't want to be beholden to the legal crap that might occur after AC 35 because that's what killed Team Origin after the 2007 Cup. He wanted something that could sustain itself even if the next Cup is only in 4-5 years. I think he's done a good job with that, the 1851 Trust Fund, the Land Rover BAR Academy, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LandRoverBARs budget for this 35th cup cycle was quoted at £100m...

I thought this was viewed as the learning curve stage....? With Sir Ben and the team having enough budget for another 'bring the cup home' shot in a couple of years.....

Its clear the ETNZ tech is better integrated and working, under most prevailing conditions...Even when they've had the occasional race plan glitch, they quickly recover and get moving faster on their foils again... the near 100% flying times per race tell you all you need to know.

I suspect Larry is moving to the cheque book dipping phase pdq as I type, not sure Boeing can help him out this time.... Will Oracle go all out cycling for hydro/oil pressure control... - legs will beat fore/upper arm and shoulders everytime...and allows for the tactician to be looking over the course and not energy depleted/brain overload sweating...

No one looks as smooth moving around the course as ETNZ...

Ainslie, should drive his boat tech developments best he can for this season... lick his wounds and get better at the design/testing tech phase pre the next get go.

For me the bonus has been seeing Deano and the Japs punch way above their weight....

Trixie out

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, GBH said:

Will the funding keep on coming?  Rather doubt it. 

In a recent BBC piece there was a pretty strong hint by Keith Mills that it would.

I don't see much evidence to back up the belief that multi-hulls are so very difficult to adapt to for good sailors. But BA too old to helm in AC36? I'm afraid I'd have to agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Marinatrix447 said:

LandRoverBARs budget for this 35th cup cycle was quoted at £100m...

 

£110M actually, by Keith Mills who ought to know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Marinatrix447 said:

LandRoverBARs budget for this 35th cup cycle was quoted at £100m...

I thought this was viewed as the learning curve stage....? With Sir Ben and the team having enough budget for another 'bring the cup home' shot in a couple of years.....

Its clear the ETNZ tech is better integrated and working, under most prevailing conditions...Even when they've had the occasional race plan glitch, they quickly recover and get moving faster on their foils again... the near 100% flying times per race tell you all you need to know.

I suspect Larry is moving to the cheque book dipping phase pdq as I type, not sure Boeing can help him out this time.... Will Oracle go all out cycling for hydro/oil pressure control... - legs will beat fore/upper arm and shoulders everytime...and allows for the tactician to be looking over the course and not energy depleted/brain overload sweating...

No one looks as smooth moving around the course as ETNZ...

Ainslie, should drive his boat tech developments best he can for this season... lick his wounds and get better at the design/testing tech phase pre the next get go.

For me the bonus has been seeing Deano and the Japs punch way above their weight....

Trixie out

 

 

The Problem Ainslie has most of the Design Team he wanted for AC 35 chosed Iain & Artemis over him. That's why he had to find other ways like going to the F1 World. If Ben & Iain could hunker down after this Cup bind all the resources they both have together for one British Team with a goal to bring the Cup back home they really would have a good shot in AC 36. As long as the two fractions are split apart unlikely UK will ever own the Cup again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, dogwatch said:

£110M actually, by Keith Mills who ought to know.

The 110 M Pound doesn't come entirely by Keith Mills.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, nav said:

Imagine if despite their pre-declared intent to participate in multiple AC contests and the massive investment in personnel, research and infrastructure they become so disenchanted with legal manoeuvring and bad-faith that they withdraw and shut down after one attempt!

 

41 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

That's precisely the reason why Ben Ainslie named the Team after himself. He doesn't want to be beholden to the legal crap that might occur after AC 35 because that's what killed Team Origin after the 2007 Cup. He wanted something that could sustain itself even if the next Cup is only in 4-5 years. I think he's done a good job with that, the 1851 Trust Fund, the Land Rover BAR Academy, etc.

whoosh!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The GTF have proven conclusively that 1 Euro is easily worth 3 Pomgolian dollars

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

The Problem Ainslie has most of the Design Team he wanted for AC 35 chosed Iain & Artemis over him. That's why he had to find other ways like going to the F1 World. If Ben & Iain could hunker down after this Cup bind all the resources they both have together for one British Team with a goal to bring the Cup back home they really would have a good shot in AC 36. As long as the two fractions are split apart unlikely UK will ever own the Cup again.

I don't reckon the F1 world had much to offer!  Be nice to know exactly what Whitmarsh has brought to the party apart from ? millions wage packet!

TNZ has always been a real lesson in how to get most bangs for the buck from their campaigns and so far it looks as though they've done it again and on a short time span too.

Without those two pts then BAR would be looking extremely average, and it's hard to convince the sponsors on performance that they should continue funding what has really been a pretty sub standard effort so far.

Be good if the 1851 and LR academy do continue, but would expect to see a much reduced set of targets and more than likely not involving the AC - unless of course a sugar daddy can be found to take the punt next time around.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GBH said:

I don't reckon the F1 world had much to offer!  Be nice to know exactly what Whitmarsh has brought to the party apart from ? millions wage packet!

TNZ has always been a real lesson in how to get most bangs for the buck from their campaigns and so far it looks as though they've done it again and on a short time span too.

Without those two pts then BAR would be looking extremely average, and it's hard to convince the sponsors on performance that they should continue funding what has really been a pretty sub standard effort so far.

Be good if the 1851 and LR academy do continue, but would expect to see a much reduced set of targets and more than likely not involving the AC - unless of course a sugar daddy can be found to take the punt next time around.

 

Unless they see a dramatic shift they will be back again I think. I would be more worried about Teams like Oracle (if they lose it) or Artemis because if LE and TT say "Sayonara" that's it for both Teams then. So compared to those Teams who 95% of the time have to rely on a Billionaire BAR is in a reasonable good spot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, GBH said:

Without those two pts then BAR would be looking extremely average, and it's hard to convince the sponsors on performance that they should continue funding what has really been a pretty sub standard effort so far.

Winning is just the icing on the cake for sponsors. The point is to get executive VIPs into the huge hospitality centre BAR has built in BER, feed them champagne and canapés and get the handshake on that key deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alininhi4evvvverrrr

so now it's a multi campaign deal, nameing the team after himself is ok and actually the f1 think was good too?

though you said they were going to be first out the door too?

 

weeks ago you were done with the team, so precisely why the fuck do you even have an opinion on this thread?

 

its ok to admit that you were being an utterly opertunist cunty little fan boy but I doubt your going to admit that are you?

pick a team (that's actually participating) and stick with it ;-)

 

people are moaning about the ACWS points? So fucking what?they were there for all the teams to grab, one team did get over it, it was fair it was onecdesign and they sailed better, all the what ifs and buts are just excuses.

the reality at the moment is that BAR are still in the cup, they don't seem to like super low wind, had issues on bearaway up range ( sortable) and are actually pretty fricken quick mid range the wins over Artemis attest to that. Oh and the fastest top speed from what's been shown here.

43.5-44kts iirc 

considering where they were according to all those in the know, BAR were fucked before the comp even began, clearly they aren't. 

Either the comentators/reporters don't know shit or the team are considerably better at running a campaign than anyone seems able to give them credit for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, nav said:

The GTF have proven conclusively that 1 Euro is easily worth 3 Pomgolian dollars

That's about the exchange rate since brexit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

Alininhi4evvvverrrr

so now it's a multi campaign deal, nameing the team after himself is ok and actually the f1 think was good too?

though you said they were going to be first out the door too?

 

weeks ago you were done with the team, so precisely why the fuck do you even have an opinion on this thread?

 

its ok to admit that you were being an utterly opertunist cunty little fan boy but I doubt your going to admit that are you?

pick a team (that's actually participating) and stick with it ;-)

 

people are moaning about the ACWS points? So fucking what?they were there for all the teams to grab, one team did get over it, it was fair it was onecdesign and they sailed better, all the what ifs and buts are just excuses.

the reality at the moment is that BAR are still in the cup, they don't seem to like super low wind, had issues on bearaway up range ( sortable) and are actually pretty fricken quick mid range the wins over Artemis attest to that. Oh and the fastest top speed from what's been shown here.

43.5-44kts iirc 

considering where they were according to all those in the know, BAR were fucked before the comp even began, clearly they aren't. 

Either the comentators/reporters don't know shit or the team are considerably better at running a campaign than anyone seems able to give them credit for.

The F1 thing was very bad IMO. That being said Ben didn't have any other option because other Teams especially Artemis grabbed the Designers he wanted. He should do away with the F1 thing and fire Whitmarsh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

the reality at the moment is that BAR are still in the cup, they don't seem to like super low wind, had issues on bearaway up range ( sortable) and are actually pretty fricken quick mid range the wins over Artemis attest to that. Oh and the fastest top speed from what's been shown here.

43.5-44kts iirc 

considering where they were according to all those in the know, BAR were fucked before the comp even began, clearly they aren't. 

Either the comentators/reporters don't know shit or the team are considerably better at running a campaign than anyone seems able to give them credit for.

Top speed is pretty irrelevant.  What really matters is consistent high averages which means you have to keep foiling as the bottom line and be able to cope with the whole wind spectrum   All the foiling classes have learnt that the hard way, and why BAR have left such big gaps in their armoury is hard to fathom.

Rocket science it ain't as far as the physics are concerned, sailing the things is the tough one but others have figured that out and there are enough spies around the place to work out the techniques.  Lack of overall vision and/or too closeted in the worlds of theory would seem to be the issue on the design and configuration options.

If its a foils issue for handling then they are stuffed, can't build new ones to fix that problem, and be sure the other teams will be aware of that feature and work out how to exploit the weakness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/3/2017 at 11:38 PM, dogwatch said:

Winning is just the icing on the cake for sponsors. The point is to get executive VIPs into the huge hospitality centre BAR has built in BER, feed them champagne and canapés and get the handshake on that key deal.

but having a rep as a recidivist loose cannon who has fucked two boats needlessly isn't gonna play well along with the huge squandering of money to results ratio.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There last race was their best so far so perhaps it's starting to come together .

They aren't top shelf by far  but the trend towards the good is fairly rapid . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, maxmini said:

There last race was their best so far so perhaps it's starting to come together .

They aren't top shelf by far  but the trend towards the good is fairly rapid . 

What do you do today if you're BAR having to face ETNZ? You're probably praying to the wind gods that Racing in cancelled today because tomorrow it will be 11-13 ideal for Bens Boat & Team. They beat Artemis in the 11-13 knot range.

If you have to race today you're very likely down 0-2 after todays Races.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spitbull demonstrated that you can rattle the Kiwis at/on the start line… and if there is one thing so far we can rely on… it’s that Sir Ben is one of the best starters in the series…

Perhaps we should all gasp with relief, as the LandieBAR boat comes surfing out today with cyclors fitted?

(Probably not)

They proved against the Japs yesterday that they have improved muchly on their tack/gybe around the mark stability…

Is it enough to put the Kiwis down..? Mr. Ainslie  swallowing hard post Peter’s announcement at the skippers debrief that The Brits had been selected… tells you all you need to know.

(One thing is for sure, they will go down fighting)

Another underdog question equally is, can Deano sock it to the Swedes…?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marinatrix447 said:

Spitbull demonstrated that you can rattle the Kiwis at/on the start line… and if there is one thing so far we can rely on… it’s that Sir Ben is one of the best starters in the series…

 

Perhaps we should all gasp with relief, as the LandieBAR boat comes surfing out today with cyclors fitted?

 

(Probably not)

 

They proved against the Japs yesterday that they have improved muchly on their tack/gybe around the mark stability…

 

Is it enough to put the Kiwis down..? Mr. Ainslie  swallowing hard post Peter’s announcement at the skippers debrief that The Brits had been selected… tells you all you need to know.

 

(One thing is for sure, they will go down fighting)

 

Another underdog question equally is, can Deano sock it to the Swedes…?

 

Totally agree Sir Ben & BAR will leave nothing in the tank. They are clearly underdogs and will have to sail flawlessly around the course to compete with ETNZ. OTUSA vs ETNZ showed what pressure can do as I never expected ETNZ to get a penalty for crossing the boundary shows they are human after all and not unbeatable by any means for BAR.

ETNZ sailing technique I feel has been consistently the best of all the teams so far. BAR showed against OTUSA they can sail well as the start was critical and thats there advantage with Sir Bens agressive style. ETNZ are clear favourites as theyve shown consistently better speed around the course than BAR ...the talk of weather etc by the Kiwis..whatever..theyve been clearly faster and had less trouble with BAR and thats why they picked them.

Pressure does make a difference and BAR have nothing to lose as ETNZ is expected to win easy and if Sir Ben can rattle them early who knows after all this is the Americas Cup and underdogs have prevailed before, same goes for Dean & SBTJapan .

I know the odds are against BAR but hey its Sir Ben Ainslie and theres no better sailor who can put the blowtorch on Burling & Co so bring on Race 1 of the Challenger Playoffs, time to go to work BAR!!!Go get em!!!! Time to throw a BAR spanner in the ETNZ works!!!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

Worlds most expensive umbrella holder ;-) 

 

But will it work at 30 knots? Sure, but not as intended. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, AustraliaII4Eva said:

Totally agree Sir Ben & BAR will leave nothing in the tank. They are clearly underdogs and will have to sail flawlessly around the course to compete with ETNZ. OTUSA vs ETNZ showed what pressure can do as I never expected ETNZ to get a penalty for crossing the boundary shows they are human after all and not unbeatable by any means for BAR.

ETNZ sailing technique I feel has been consistently the best of all the teams so far. BAR showed against OTUSA they can sail well as the start was critical and thats there advantage with Sir Bens agressive style. ETNZ are clear favourites as theyve shown consistently better speed around the course than BAR ...the talk of weather etc by the Kiwis..whatever..theyve been clearly faster and had less trouble with BAR and thats why they picked them.

Pressure does make a difference and BAR have nothing to lose as ETNZ is expected to win easy and if Sir Ben can rattle them early who knows after all this is the Americas Cup and underdogs have prevailed before, same goes for Dean & SBTJapan .

I know the odds are against BAR but hey its Sir Ben Ainslie and theres no better sailor who can put the blowtorch on Burling & Co so bring on Race 1 of the Challenger Playoffs, time to go to work BAR!!!Go get em!!!! Time to throw a BAR spanner in the ETNZ works!!!

 

 

The race will be pre-start to Mk 1 only, don't think BAR as the speed.

But PB and Co need the starting acid thrown on them, should be fun to watch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, FinnFish said:

The race will be pre-start to Mk 1 only, don't think BAR as the speed.

But PB and Co need the starting acid thrown on them, should be fun to watch.

I'd be happy with a clean penalty-free start, drag-race to the first mark and then play it from there. If ETNZ is faster, don't do anything stupid to cause a rules infraction - stay close and pick the moment to strike and pass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Indio said:

 stay close and pick the moment to strike and pass.

I think that can be done way back in the start box, don't fuck around with a dial up or hook, hit the line doing 36........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, FinnFish said:

I think that can be done way back in the start box, don't fuck around with a dial up or hook, hit the line doing 36........

I agree, don't get sucked into lead mine tactics. Times have changed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't trust the limey fuckers. Won't be the walkover most predicting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, ~Stingray~ said:

Newly re-uploaded anyway..

What dire and cringeworthy 'reporting' from Mrs BAR, and should keep Whitmatsh off camera as well, so patently knows nothing at all.  All platitudes and self back patting yuk.  They should at least get a professional in there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mrs BAR was in fact a professional reporter on Sky Sports.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, dogwatch said:

Mrs BAR was in fact a professional reporter on Sky Sports.

really...should go back to the day job then:)  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BAR  will not have any problem coming back the AC 36. In terms of sponsors and support, they already have a good story to tell. They won the ACWS. In the Qualifiers, they outperformed their boat speed, winning races against supposedly faster boats.

if they get knocked out by TNZ......then IMO either TNZ or Artemis will be the challenger. To be knocked out by either the eventual challenger or to have taken both qualifying races from the challenger will not mitigate Ben Hur's disappointment from not being the challenger but it will give the business folks in Ben's team a good platform for the next round of funding. 

They are on the map as serious contenders, who with a competitive boat can take this thing.

IMO, TSJ and France have a potentially more difficult task ahead of them convincing sponsors that they can be credible contenders. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In terms of changes for the next round.

1. i guess that Ben will stay skipper. He is incredibly fit and uniquely competitive. He either helms or does tactics. In #36, cyclists will make the tactician role less physical. But any helm will have to be extraordinarily gifted to supplement Ben. Burling is probably the only AC helm who could step into those shoes, but I doubt TNZ lets Burling go free agent. Although a tactician/helm combo of Ainslie/Burling would have no problem raising money.

2. Ben might have to be flexible about the team name to secure lead sponsorship. I am sure "Ainslie" will stay in the name but it might be enjoined with a sponsor name. If Tata group steps up in a huge way, they might want to see the team called ALR , Ainslie Land Rover or something.......and that is okay. 

3. Design team needs to be taken to the next level. BAR got out-designed.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh and 

4. GBR has some of the best Olympic cyclists on the planet. Expect to see a career path for UK Olympic cyclists into the well paid world of AC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Mambo Kings said:

In terms of changes for the next round.

 

2. Ben might have to be flexible about the team name to secure lead sponsorship. I am sure "Ainslie" will stay in the name but it might be enjoined with a sponsor name. If Tata group steps up in a huge way, they might want to see the team called ALR , Ainslie Land Rover or something.......and that is okay. 

Um, the name is already Land Rover BAR....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mambo Kings said:

BAR  will not have any problem coming back the AC 36. In terms of sponsors and support, they already have a good story to tell. They won the ACWS. In the Qualifiers, they outperformed their boat speed, winning races against supposedly faster boats.

if they get knocked out by TNZ......then IMO either TNZ or Artemis will be the challenger. To be knocked out by either the eventual challenger or to have taken both qualifying races from the challenger will not mitigate Ben Hur's disappointment from not being the challenger but it will give the business folks in Ben's team a good platform for the next round of funding. 

They are on the map as serious contenders, who with a competitive boat can take this thing.

IMO, TSJ and France have a potentially more difficult task ahead of them convincing sponsors that they can be credible contenders. 

I actually think Artemis Racing is the Team most at risk for AC 36 because they entirely depend on the big pockets Torbjörn Törnqvist. If he doesn't want to win the AC anymore ART is done. Iain Percy, the Skipper & Sailing Team Director said just before the Qualifiers startet that he isn't sure he'll be back with ART for another Go-around.

Given how big buddies Ainslie and Percy are I can easily see Percy and some other Brits like Brittle, Goodison joining BAR for AC 36.

The Brits will be back no matter where, when and what the Format is for AC 36. They have the resources to be back, Artemis doesn't necessarily have them. That's the double whammy that you have when you're dependent and have to rely on the big pockets of a Billionaire like Törnqvist. Same goes for Bertarelli (Alinghi) and Ellison (Oracle).

And SoftBank (Japan) as well as Groupama (France) will only be back if the current format is upheld.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GBH said:

What dire and cringeworthy 'reporting' from Mrs BAR, and should keep Whitmatsh off camera as well, so patently knows nothing at all.  All platitudes and self back patting yuk.  They should at least get a professional in there.

 

She and Mr F1 would be getting trolled mercilessly - if they had anything to do with NZ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, nav said:

 

She and Mr F1 would be getting trolled mercilessly - if they had anything to do with NZ.

You have no worries - certain of your compatriots have been doing that endless (and tedioiusly) already.

Of course if they were to do with NZ, those very same people would be protesting about how they were wonderful and no-one should dare criticise them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scenario 1: despite their pre-declared intent to participate in multiple AC contests and the massive investment in personnel, research and infrastructure they become so disenchanted with legal manoeuvring and bad-faith that they withdraw and shut down after one attempt!

Scenario 2: Billionaire playboy decides he wants to 'play AC' as well, so using Daddy's money recruits Ben, Giles, Paul, David and Nick to sail for um....say Ireland?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

UPI Breaking NEWS

From the UK Theresa Mary May has in recognition of the BAR performance matched only by a UK team in the 1st America's Cup

Has made Ben the First America's Cup racer to have a UK Town Blessed with his name, having picked one in County of Kent

From this point on Kent shall be the proud home of

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

ready ?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Ben DOVER

 

 

yer welcome ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, enigmatically said:

You have no worries - certain of your compatriots have been doing that endless (and tedioiusly) already.

Of course if they were to do with NZ, those very same people would be protesting about how they were wonderful and no-one should dare criticise them

the nepotism, the letters, the babies, the dogs, 'My husband', all pretty cringe worthy in this context - no matter where it's coming from?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, nav said:

Scenario 2: Billionaire playboy decides he wants to 'play AC' as well, so using Daddy's money recruits Ben, Giles, Paul, David and Nick to sail for um....say Ireland?

It turns out that the country a challenge comes from has some importance. Several of those guys had offers from other teams this time round. One of them was asked to name his price, and afterwards commented, "even I was surprised by the $number I said to @#&@!$."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, nav said:

the nepotism, the letters, the babies, the dogs, 'My husband', all pretty cringe worthy in this context - no matter where it's coming from?

Frankly I couldn't give a shit. I wouldn't see the need to critcise themn if they were Kiwi, I don't feel the need to defend them because they are British. 

I just thought it worth pointing out that there are trolls from all sides. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, nav said:

Scenario 1: despite their pre-declared intent to participate in multiple AC contests and the massive investment in personnel, research and infrastructure they become so disenchanted with legal manoeuvring and bad-faith that they withdraw and shut down after one attempt!

Scenario 2: Billionaire playboy decides he wants to 'play AC' as well, so using Daddy's money recruits Ben, Giles, Paul, David and Nick to sail for um....say Ireland?

Scenario 1 I reckon from past experience with Pom Rock backers.   They will all finally realize they've been well and truly kippered and paid out quite serious dosh to assorted team members to what end?   

One problem is that BA himself hardly projects the charisma required to be a figurehead so promoting him as the brand is a tough call, past results don't really count to the great unwashed.   No disrespect to him but he's just not that sort of person and you struggle to find anyone in the team that is, and Whitmarsh doesn't do it either.  He was no replacement for Ron Dennis at Maclaren in PR terms - either need to be loved or hated as the bad boy, but this corporatespeak culture is plain dull.   Endless macho arms folded photo posing and thats it ffs!

Not a unique problem though to BAR, see it everywhere these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, enigmatically said:

You have no worries - certain of your compatriots have been doing that endless (and tedioiusly) already.

Of course if they were to do with NZ, those very same people would be protesting about how they were wonderful and no-one should dare criticise them

I don't see any problem Georgie doing these "Inside Tacks" for BAR.

And ever since the "Framework Agreement" was announced I think and it was revealed that BAR's CEO Martin Whitmarsh was the driving force behind it I see sniping after sniping after sniping from nav.

Time to attack the guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, GBH said:

One problem is that BA himself hardly projects the charisma required to be a figurehead

 

Talk to a few non-sailing Brits and you might be surprised on that one. Pretty much everyone has heard of him and he projects the kind of slightly reserved upper-middle-class confidence you might like from your doctor or solicitor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, dogwatch said:

 

Talk to a few non-sailing Brits and you might be surprised on that one. Pretty much everyone has heard of him and he projects the kind of slightly reserved upper-middle-class confidence you might like from your doctor or solicitor.

Exactly, and apart from Ellen MacArrthur you have to go back a fair while to find any other sailor that impinged on the consciousness of joe public . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, enigmatically said:

Exactly, and apart from Ellen MacArrthur you have to go back a fair while to find any other sailor that impinged on the consciousness of joe public . 

Even' all.

Chichester, Nelson, Raleigh, may be. Ben did pick Nelson as one of his dinner guests on Desert Island Discs.

Don't matter RYS has no chance against RNZYS, come on ETNZ.

Now just to start things off,

 

 

Ka mate, ka mate! ka ora! ka ora!

Ka mate! ka mate! ka ora! ka ora!

Tēnei te tangata pūhuruhuru

Nāna nei i tiki mai whakawhiti te rā

Ā, upane! ka upane!

Ā, upane, ka upane, whiti te ra!

 

Hope the sun does shine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, laser 173312 said:

Even' all.

Chichester, Nelson, Raleigh, may be. Ben did pick Nelson as one of his dinner guests on Desert Island Discs.

 

But would Nelson pick Ben?   Nope, he'd probably go for MrsBen though:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And BAR broken, Camber arm in the wing. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This has been a real disaster so far for BAR. Why do I get the feeling he will ram ETNZ in another accident before losing in straight sets

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well done ENTZ, their clearly doing a great job and the boat looks dynamite which is a massive achievement given that they developed it away from the others.

 

Come on BAR, Ben, CJ et al, you can bounce back.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right team UK. Stop dicking around. Just like the Lions in NZ we want a good contest.  Kia Kaha. Like rugby games we kiwis still fully expect to win. This is our national passion(s)  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

100% agree above.  In my wildest dreams I'd like to see a UK team as a winner of a challenger series in Auckland.... but then, I really am ahead of myself :)  Whatever, I don't think many of us want to see this team go down only because of gear breakages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Repaired, from FB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rushman said:

Repaired, from FB

yeah, already been out, saw them coming back in on the port webcam a few mins ago..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not been hanging about either!  Paul CJ posted some decent numbers 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it me or, while everyone else has been out racing yacht, has BAR been in a war!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably, it would definitely explain all those repairs.... :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Try not to be such a prick once in a while.

The new TRG.

BA has been a credit to himself and his team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^ Seriously, if everyone could put him on ignore this place would be a whole lot better. At a minimum some of us would stop seeing his crap quoted. I really hesitate to use the feature, but he and the Kiwi sock puppets are the only two posters that have driven me to the edge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/5/2017 at 11:33 PM, Nutta said:

Don't trust the limey fuckers. Won't be the walkover most predicting.

Agree. But it would be good to mix it a little bit, just when BA thinks he has ETNZ cowering in the start box corner.

Best way to deal with a bully in my experience is to smack them one. Consequences can be brutal - but there's a certain amount of satisfaction from not being a doormat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, FinnFish said:

The new TRG.

BA has been a credit to himself and his team.

Nah trg was witty and intelligent even if he did go too far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Alinghi4ever said:

Land Rover BAR set for 'defining day' after America's Cup halted by high winds

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sailing/2017/06/07/americas-cup-2017-playoffs-live-updates-ben-ainslie-latest/

Memo to Ben Ainslie: You should forfait Racing tomorrow before embarrassing your Country & Crew.

Very scary from that one:

"Tuke narrowly avoided hitting the boat’s daggerboard as he was thrown from the vessel."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ~Stingray~ said:

 

The benefits of sports events are always grossly exaggerated and the AC is no different. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In person all of BARs sponsors mention one thing: there are very few international competitions that GB hasn't won and this is the biggest.

If I was a BAR sponsor I'd be pretty disappointed with a first time win. That would not be the kind of challenge I would of anticipated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well Sir Ben'ster this next race is make or break... get one more in the bag... and we stay one more day at least!! Go LandieBAR...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All over Land Rover.  Well done to win a race today though.  Come back again, stronger, and hopefully to New Zealand.

 

Go well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"It's the not the winning but taking part that counts...." (said nobody ever in the America's Cup)

Hats off to the Kiwi's and what a shore team.... big question is has Deano lost his mojo to make it to the final with the Kiwis.

Well tomorrow we find out... some great racing today between the Japs & Swedes....

Tally ho!

PS: Well done GBR... you gave it yer best shot.... that's all anyone can ask of any crew.... what do you need to win? (Simples) a faster in all conditions boat....lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Embarrassing from the Brits especially that Final Start from Ainslie. LMAO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the slow boat was able to take a win from a team that has only been beaten by the defenders?

 

yep they are out and they are going to be joined by another well resourced team by this time tomorrow.

 

so yeah laugh it up, mock them, ridicule them, do all of that hiding behind your keyboard and feel proud of yourself that you never bothered or were good enough to do anything in your life that would achieve even 1% of the interest that any of the defeated teams have.

i tell you what, next time you are the uk, you can come with me, sit down with Nick and CJ and tell them to their faces how much better you would have done, how they failed, how they embarrassed themselves.

you wouldn't have the minerals you useless little cum stain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, aucklander said:

All over Land Rover.  Well done to win a race today though.  Come back again, stronger, and hopefully to New Zealand.

 

Go well

If ETNZ win the Cup all Challengers racing in AC35 are done for good IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, ~Stingray~ said:

Very scary from that one:

"Tuke narrowly avoided hitting the boat’s daggerboard as he was thrown from the vessel."

A bit of poetic licence there, me thinks! How could Tuke have been exposed to the daggerboard if he was ejected forward of the static daggerboard??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

Embarrassing from the Brits especially that Final Start from Ainslie. LMAO.

 

Only a know nothing muppet like you would be laughing his arse off because a good team got beat by the kiwis in a faster boat.....after they had sailed a near perfect race to take one off the best team...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Indio said:

A bit of poetic licence there, me thinks! How could Tuke have been exposed to the daggerboard if he was ejected forward of the static daggerboard??

I presumed it was referring to the raised part of the daggerboard forward of him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Indio said:

A bit of poetic licence there, me thinks! How could Tuke have been exposed to the daggerboard if he was ejected forward of the static daggerboard??

Tuke had to leave his seat and go past the exposed trailing edge of the windward board when he was thrown out.

i would have thought position two was even closer to getting it in the face as he exited 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

So the slow boat was able to take a win from a team that has only been beaten by the defenders?

 

yep they are out and they are going to be joined by another well resourced team by this time tomorrow.

 

so yeah laugh it up, mock them, ridicule them, do all of that hiding behind your keyboard and feel proud of yourself that you never bothered or were good enough to do anything in your life that would achieve even 1% of the interest that any of the defeated teams have.

i tell you what, next time you are the uk, you can come with me, sit down with Nick and CJ and tell them to their faces how much better you would have done, how they failed, how they embarrassed themselves.

you wouldn't have the minerals you useless little cum stain

So, are you really claiming SBTJ had more money than BAR? According to Christopher Clarey of the NY Times in an Article he published just before Racing begun Land Rover BAR has had an estimated 90 Million Pound Budget which translates into about $ 116 Million. They were budget-wise the 2nd best financed Team after Defender Oracle Team USA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

So, are you really claiming SBTJ had more money than BAR? According to Christopher Clarey of the NY Times in an Article he published just before Racing begun Land Rover BAR has had an estimated 90 Million Pound Budget which translates into about $ 116 Million. They were budget-wise the 2nd best financed Team after Defender Oracle Team USA.

SBTJ shares OR developments you little cum stain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, FinnFish said:

SBTJ shares OR developments you little cum stain.

And BAR beat SoftBank AND JAL spoke about "Resources". Resources includes Money you prick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

Tuke had to leave his seat and go past the exposed trailing edge of the windward board when he was thrown out.

i would have thought position two was even closer to getting it in the face as he exited 

Looked like Tuke went past the daggerboard well on the inside and might have even missed the netting...scary just the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now