Barnyb

Team UK

Recommended Posts

On 2/22/2018 at 11:29 AM, Indio said:

Maybe they should have thrown Spithill as far as they could - and then head in the opposite direction!!

5947012573e0c_OR-XEROX700m.thumb.JPG.d9727cd5baa794773089d9268dcffdc6.JPG

My eyesight is not as good as it once was but, does that say 714m? That seems like a long way behind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/03/2018 at 11:07 AM, jaysper said:

Actually Dalts have shown a lack of grace on a good number of occasions. However the two that most obviously spring to mind are post victory AC35 plus when he publicly put the boot into the designer of Camper  (etnzs VOR entry) when the pace of the boat was found wanting.

I think anyone who suggests that Dalts is a gracious individual is being pretty disingenuous. 

do you have any links?

i definitely believe you,  but i can't find it and i wouldn't mind watching it

cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, nav said:

Well goodness gracious!  Why not just repeat all the WCM talking points Jaysper?

I mean we have enough OTUSA orphans already alternating between wild conspiracies, desperately defending their own poor record and general whining.

Doubt GD is too worried about whether he comes across a 'gracious' . Straight talking more like and with little enough to be gracious about anyway a lot of the time, representing a team painted into a corner as they so often have been. Fighting your corner, it's called.

If you prefer a, silver spoon sucking, semi-royal

Image result for emirates team new zealand and dutchess

, press-beating, public funds spending

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff-nation/assignments/is-36m-well-spent-on-the-americas-cup/9157408/Americas-Cup-defintely-worth-price-tag

, 4 non-surrogate building,

because TNZ wouldn't of built more if they had the funding

5th place getter - well you know which team to support.

Otherwise show a little graciousness yourself, Kiwis may not be too sophisticated, or used to dissembling and being smarmy - but they know how to do sport.

wowee, you must of really hated ETNZ in the 34th cup hey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, nav said:

Well goodness gracious!  Why not just repeat all the WCM talking points Jaysper?

I mean we have enough OTUSA orphans already alternating between wild conspiracies, desperately defending their own poor record and general whining.

Doubt GD is too worried about whether he comes across a 'gracious' . Straight talking more like and with little enough to be gracious about anyway a lot of the time, representing a team painted into a corner as they so often have been. Fighting your corner, it's called.

If you prefer a, silver spoon sucking, semi-royal, press-beating, public funds spending, 4 non-surrogate building, 5th place getter - well you know which team to support.

Otherwise show a little graciousness yourself, Kiwis may not be too sophisticated, or used to dissembling and being smarmy - but they know how to do sport.

Well, we all have preferences I guess.

I admire a lot about Dalts and in particular his dogged determination. 

However, I prefer a far more dignified approach to sport such as Peter Blake demonstrated.

Otherwise we are little better than the Oz cricket team who are the epitome of douche bags.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^  They are giving them springboks a hiding!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, sclarke said:

A "Lack of grace"? What does that mean? Post victory AC35? I remember when after AC34, Oracle members Jimmy Spithill and Russell Coutts came out on NZ Television and did interviews which slammed Grant Dalton for being incompetent if he couldn't put together a challenge for AC35 (At that time ETNZ weren't sure whether they had the budget to continue or not) they said he should "step aside and let someone else take over if he couldn't put together a challenge" (At that time there was rumours of Brad Butterworth being interested in taking over ETNZ if Dalton was willing to step aside) Then Dalton did a deal with Harvey Schiller to host the qualifying regatta in Auckland which was signed by the then Americas Cup commissioner, but then pulled out from under them for no good reason, other than "the teams didn't want to do it" effectively cutting off any government funding ETNZ may have received. It should be noted, not long after this happened, ETNZ applied to the Court of Arbitration of Sport with a complaint of breach of agreement, which forced ACEA (Allegedly) to pay financial compensation.  Schiller was forced to fall on his sword and step down as Commissioner for AC35. The whole process was then kept quiet in accordance with the so-called "Dalton Clause". Then once the whole Dean Barker saga ended, and Barker had gone to Team Japan, the photo came out on the Oracle FB page of Jimmy and Dean side by side, with a caption of #letsgetDalton, implying Japan and Oracle were working not to only win the Cup, but prevent ETNZ from winning it as well. Through all of this, he still won, so I'm sure he can be excused for not being "gracious" to a team who tried every underhanded tactic to end his campaign.

 

I never said Jimmy had grace. The guy is a total cock sucker.

I just wish Dalts would rise above it and demonstrate once and for all that he is the better man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Kiwing said:

^  They are giving them springboks a hiding!!

Proteas? :D

You, but pretty much everyone outside of Oz thinks they are pricks and probably a good number of people in Oz too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kiwing said:

^Jimmy who?

Spithill. He was going on about how him, Couts, etc al were wankers as if somehow I don't agree with him.

However my point has always been that just because they are pricks, doesn't mean Dalts should stoop to their level. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was of the era when the Springboks had beaten NZ in NZ but the Alblacks had not beaten the boks in SthAfrica.

Go Fitzpatric I can still see his muddy face at the bottom of the ruck when the final whistle went to clinch a series there!!

So the are all springboks to me????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Kiwing said:

who Spithill can't place him ....

Ah, well played. Sorry, I'm a bit slow today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jaysper said:

Well, we all have preferences I guess.

I admire a lot about Dalts and in particular his dogged determination. 

However, I prefer a far more dignified approach to sport such as Peter Blake demonstrated.

Otherwise we are little better than the Oz cricket team who are the epitome of douche bags.

Six-four was a class act above all others, GD is not and never will be.   They both got results, but only PB gets the respect.   He was one of those rare people that manage to remain universally liked and admired by all, irrespective of who you were playing for.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a Team NZ thread to discuss ETNZ. Please use it. This thread is for LRBAR.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, dogwatch said:

There's a Team NZ thread to discuss ETNZ. Please use it. This thread is for LRBAR.

Yes mistress!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jaysper said:

I never said Jimmy had grace. The guy is a total cock sucker.

I just wish Dalts would rise above it and demonstrate once and for all that he is the better man.

He did that. He absolutely proved he is the better man. He did it by doing the one thing he, his team, and his country cared about, the one thing he had been told in no uncertain terms to do before the event started...win the thing. Love him or hate him, he is one of a select group of people who can say they've won the Americas Cup. And he did it by beating every other competitor in front of him. On and off the water. To be the man, you gotta beat the man, and He did just that. In more ways than one. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Yes mistress!

FFS the last 20 or 30 posts here have had zero to do with LRBAR. You have your very own thread, go use it.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Barnyb said:

My eyesight is not as good as it once was but, does that say 714m? That seems like a long way behind.

Had to wait for the cheaters to be in the same frame - they were over 980 metres behind on this particular day. And over 1200-metres in another race

1 hour ago, dogwatch said:

FFS the last 20 or 30 posts here have had zero to do with LRBAR. You have your very own thread, go use it.

 

FFS if it weren't for the off-topic posts keeping this thread alive, it would have been spat out the bottom and gone for good. Might be a good thing...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Indio said:

Had to wait for the cheaters to be in the same frame - they were over 980 metres behind on this particular day. And over 1200-metres in another race

FFS if it weren't for the off-topic posts keeping this thread alive, it would have been spat out the bottom and gone for good. Might be a good thing...

So you are clogging all the threads with your same obsession ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

So you are clogging all the threads with your same obsession ?

Bummer ....... obsessed with the AC, he should get a life eh TC?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

LEADING British sailor Leigh McMillan has returned to Land Rover BAR, as part of the team’s 36th America’s Cup campaign.

McMillan – a three-time winner of the Extreme Sailing Series – will be working as design and sailing team liaison for the critical first development phase of the new AC class and mentoring the Land Rover BAR Academy.

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/sailing/land-rover-bar/leading-sailor-back-at-land-rover-bar-1-8406253

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2018 at 4:27 AM, Stingray~ said:

at https://www.sailingworld.com/americas-cup-75

The America's Cup 75

The race is on for America’s Cup designers to understand the new platform.

By Dave Reed

bmqr-01.jpg?itok=xiz8xLGG&fc=50,50

 

“Our in-house simulations confirm what they were predicting,” says Carrau. “Which is it should be able to foil in over 9 knots of true wind — both upwind and downwind.”

 

To the best of my understanding, that's disingenuous: yes it looks like AC75s will keep foiling if the wind drops down to 9 kts, but there seems to be no way they could take off in less than 13 kts TWS, and that downwind. Upwind, if the (preliminary) VPP curves shown by BMQR are to be believed, take off will be inpossible at any wind speed - unless somehow boat weight is evenly distributed on both main foils

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From  https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-sailing-americascup-ainslie/sailing-ainslie-in-hunt-for-cash-to-fulfil-americas-cup-dream-idUKKBN1H32A4

Sailing-Ainslie in hunt for cash to fulfil America's Cup dream

...

"We are working on a test boat, a scaled down version. We are working on it, that's all I can say ... the designers are working really hard on the concept, the key areas, what's going to give us the best speed," Ainslie said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^

They don't seem to have got the memo entitled "JC75 is off the menu".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Ainslie in hunt for cash to fulfil America's Cup dream

Eh, megalomania is hard to shake off ... He's looking for 115M€, when Max Sirena just stated that 50M would be enough for a smart team à la ETNZ/AC35, and 75M for a "normal", fully competitive entry. Funny, it used to be Italians had a reputation  for expecting high wages ... or perhaps renovating all those motivational signs is quite expensive

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Xlot said:

Eh, megalomania is hard to shake off ... He's looking for 115M€, when Max Sirena just stated that 50M would be enough for a smart team à la ETNZ/AC35, and 75M for a "normal", fully competitive entry. Funny, it used to be Italians had a reputation  for expecting high wages ... or perhaps renovating all those motivational signs is quite expensive

So much for BAR being fully funded through two cup cycles - I'm guessing that was only if they were to continue in the AC 50s, where 30-50M€ would be doable. 

I think you're dreaming if you think a team can put together a competitive AC75 (which has completely untested technology in both hulls AND rigs) for 50M€ - the budgets will need to be at least as big as the AC72s, where the top teams reportedly spent in excess of 100M€ (ETNZ in practice more, since they partially wrote of expenses by sharing tech with LR, and who even knows OR's real numbers). The NYYC budget for AC36 is in a similar range (I heard 130MUSD), so - to me - BA is just being realistic. 

And then, as you say, there are the motivational signs, which of course will need to be completely different for 'monohulls', not to mention 'conventional rigs that ordinary sailors can relate to'!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dogwatch said:

^

They don't seem to have got the memo entitled "JC75 is off the menu".

April fools day is going to be interesting for sure!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Xlot said:

Eh, megalomania is hard to shake off ... He's looking for 115M€, when Max Sirena just stated that 50M would be enough for a smart team à la ETNZ/AC35, and 75M for a "normal", fully competitive entry. Funny, it used to be Italians had a reputation  for expecting high wages ... or perhaps renovating all those motivational signs is quite expensive

Those who write the protocol and class rule, or at least rubber stamp them as in the case of most CoR's, always state the campaigns can be done for far less than they really cost. How can the budget be less than AC35 when you need more people in the team, the cycle is significantly longer, the design concept is totally new and untried, plus you need to build a second boat. I am waiting to see the rule but I have also heard the suggestion that the rig will be more expensive than the wing, because it will burn sails and is a new concept.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Xlot said:

Eh, megalomania is hard to shake off ... He's looking for 115M€, when Max Sirena just stated that 50M would be enough for a smart team à la ETNZ/AC35, and 75M for a "normal", fully competitive entry. Funny, it used to be Italians had a reputation  for expecting high wages ... or perhaps renovating all those motivational signs is quite expensive

After I went and unearthed the Prada/LR €64M number from the Hong Kong Stock Exchange (and the figure made news all over the place, and for the second consecutive cycle :) ), LR has not denied the figure and Max even used that number, right? However..

We don’t know what other income (advertising? P$B or other private? Perelli?) there may be in the LR pipeline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Team_GBR said:

Those who write the protocol and class rule, or at least rubber stamp them as in the case of most CoR's, always state the campaigns can be done for far less than they really cost. How can the budget be less than AC35 when you need more people in the team, the cycle is significantly longer, the design concept is totally new and untried, plus you need to build a second boat. I am waiting to see the rule but I have also heard the suggestion that the rig will be more expensive than the wing, because it will burn sails and is a new concept.

So Max - who's debated every single word in the redaction of the Rule - is either lying or he doesn't know what he'salking about ...

And I rather think GD pooh-poohed the Yank's figure too, but could be wrong

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

After I went and unearthed the Prada/LR €64M number from the Hong Kong Stock Exchange (and the figure made news all over the place, and for the second consecutive cycle :) )

True dat - not sure that's made you very popular in Arezzo. You're not going north from Rome, are you? :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Xlot said:

So Max - who's debated every single word in the redaction of the Rule - is either lying or he doesn't know what he’s talking about ...

BOTH - of course!

;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The standout thing is that those writing the rules want to make the event seem affordable, while those challenging want to be able to win it. So far, I have seen 3 different estimates of costs from 3 different potential challengers and they all come out at $120m and upwards. In the same way as you ask if Max is lying, I would ask if those challengers are as well.

I think it can be won for a lot less, but only if a team gets lucky and comes up with a concept that completely outdoes the other teams. I also believe that the chances of that happening with the new rule are fairly slim, not least because of the second boat. If the rule produces close boats, then the chances are that whatever team throws the most money at it should have a great advantage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Team_GBR said:

the chances are that whatever team throws the most money at it should have a great advantage. 

With a new Class, money spent early on designers, both smart and innovative, and the massive computing and data-collection systems they need, will likely be a differentiator. 

These mystery/suppose’d other challengers outside of LR, AM, BAR have no chance unless AR has been secretly working things up and surprises us. 

The Prot allows for Design purchasing again but the ability to evolve whatever you bought takes way, way more than the purchase cost. 

My ~hope~ is that LR and ETNZ are not conspiring against everyone else and sharing technology; but it’s very obviously a strong possibility.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

My ~hope~ is that LR and ETNZ are not conspiring against everyone else and sharing technology; but it’s very obviously a strong possibility.

Oh FFS - what couched words you use to lay implications - riddle me this then - was it "possible" that OTUSA cheated in AC34?...

That you think ETNZ and LR are not fiercely competing now (if not always) is really, really odd for someone who exposes themselves to so much information...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ Given their tight history of design and even financial collusion? Yes, it seems entirely possible they are conspiring. They could even have another deal-done secret ‘LR Agreement’ about an arrangement for the next Cup if either syndicate wins - which given the (so-far) Protocol’s ultimate powers bestowed upon themselves is a reasonable cause for concern. There is a precedent between them for that kind of hidden collusion, the tightness dates back for at least 7 years and counting.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, rh2600 said:

Oh FFS - what couched words you use to lay implications - riddle me this then - was it "possible" that OTUSA cheated in AC34?...

it's "possible" that ETNZ cheated in ac34

That you think ETNZ and LR are not fiercely competing now (if not always) is really, really odd for someone who exposes themselves to so much information...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

^ Given their tight history of design and even financial collusion? Yes, it seems entirely possible they are conspiring. They could even have another deal-done secret ‘LR Agreement’ about an arrangement for the next Cup if either syndicate wins - which given the (so-far) Protocol’s ultimate powers bestowed upon themselves is a reasonable cause for concern. There is a precedent between them for that kind of hidden collusion, the tightness dates back for at least 7 years and counting.

 

Don't you have a black-lives-matter coven to attend??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stingray~ said:

^ Given their tight history of design and even financial collusion? Yes, it seems entirely possible they are conspiring. They could even have another deal-done secret ‘LR Agreement’ about an arrangement for the next Cup if either syndicate wins - which given the (so-far) Protocol’s ultimate powers bestowed upon themselves is a reasonable cause for concern. There is a precedent between them for that kind of hidden collusion, the tightness dates back for at least 7 years and counting.

 

Your word choice is deliberate nasty in its implications - "collusion", "conspiring"... where collaboration and cooperation would be more accurate - it's unnecessary to try and drag other teams down into the muck occupied by a few, even if you were a fan of these...

Have you given up chasing the cup, and are now left to just chase ghosts?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 50M and 75M figures from the Italian are probably mind games. They probably wish that other competitors will enter with that kind of budget, that would surely lift their own hopes... While the serious contenders know that a budget in excess of 100M is required to have a proper chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, rh2600 said:

Your word choice is deliberate nasty in its implications - "collusion", "conspiring"... where collaboration and cooperation would be more accurate

 

So, all challengers were colluding against TNZ in last AC but TNZ and LR are cooperating, right ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

.... 

My ~hope~ is that LR and ETNZ are not conspiring against everyone else and sharing technology; but it’s very obviously a strong possibility.

 

Kinda like OTUSA and SBTJ then....

 

Oh how desperate we become

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nav said:

Kinda like OTUSA and SBTJ then....

No, this relationship is far different, in who designed the boats from the start, and in them being COR/D with exclusive power.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

So, all challengers were colluding against TNZ in last AC but TNZ and LR are cooperating, right ?

I don't think the LA was collusion itself

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stingray~ said:

No, this relationship is far different, in who designed the boats from the start, and in them being COR/D with exclusive power.

Agreeing a class is not the same as designing a boat - in regards to CoRs does your memory only go as far back as Bermuda?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

No, this relationship is far different, in who designed the boats from the start, and in them being COR/D with exclusive power.

As I understand it, the oracle Team USA design team designed the AC50 class rule, as they found after testing their 45 foot test boats, that they could get the same or very similar performance out of a smaller boat that they could out of a 62 foot boat, which was why the AC62 rule was replaced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, sclarke said:

As I understand it, the oracle Team USA design team designed the AC50 class rule, as they found after testing their 45 foot test boats, that they could get the same or very similar performance out of a smaller boat that they could out of a 62 foot boat, which was why the AC62 rule was replaced.

The AC50 Rule was based very closely on the AC62 Rule. On that one,

 

Pete Melvin, a designer with Emirates Team New Zealand in the last America�s Cup, and his firm Morrelli and Melvin, were commissioned by Oracle Team USA (the Defender) and Team Australia (the Challenger of Record) to oversee the writing of the AC62 class rule.

�Writing this rule has been a very collaborative process, with designers associated with several teams helping out.  We also had great assistance from Nick Nicholson, the Chief Measurer from the last America�s Cup,� Melvin said.  �Since we circulated the draft rule, prospective teams have also given constructive comments that we�ve been able to take on board.�

http://www.cupinfo.com/en/ggyc-ac62-class-rule-issued-for-2017-americas-cup-catamaran-14005.php

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

The AC50 Rule was based very closely on the AC62 Rule. On that one,

 

Pete Melvin, a designer with Emirates Team New Zealand in the last America�s Cup, and his firm Morrelli and Melvin, were commissioned by Oracle Team USA (the Defender) and Team Australia (the Challenger of Record) to oversee the writing of the AC62 class rule.

�Writing this rule has been a very collaborative process, with designers associated with several teams helping out.  We also had great assistance from Nick Nicholson, the Chief Measurer from the last America�s Cup,� Melvin said.  �Since we circulated the draft rule, prospective teams have also given constructive comments that we�ve been able to take on board.�

http://www.cupinfo.com/en/ggyc-ac62-class-rule-issued-for-2017-americas-cup-catamaran-14005.php

But it wasn't the AC62 rule, it was the Americas Cup class rule, which Oracle wrote. It was in accordance with the AC50 "Americas Cup Class Rule" Team Japan and Oracle designed their raceboats, as did everyone else. So the fact that it is similar is irrelevant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, sclarke said:

fact that it is similar is irrelevant

Sure it is. M&M designed (mostly) the AC62 and the AC50 was basically a scaled down version.

RG did a good tour of Core Builders and published a series of articles on the AC50 construction work going on there, primarily for OR and TJ. Tim Smyth described the scale-down from the AC62 and the tooling in some good detail. Even talked about how the wings rules, and wing control freedoms, were unchanged from the AC62.

Neither was designed exclusively by COR/D during a many-months head-start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Stingray~ said:

Sure it is. M&M designed (mostly) the AC62 and the AC 50 was basically a scaled down version.

RG did a good tour of Core Builders and published a series of articles on the AC50 construction work going on there. Tim Smyth described the scale-down from the AC62 and the tooling in some good detail. Even talked about how the wings rules, and wing control freedoms, were unchanged from the AC62.

 

The point is, the partnership between LR and ETNZ and Japan and Oracle are no different, except for the fact that one partnership was made between two challengers to win the Cup, the other was made to help retain the Cup. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oracle didn’t design the AC72, the AC62, or the AC50. It was outsourced, independent.

I get some of the reasons this time but the arrangement is Very, very different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stingray~ said:

Oracle didn’t design the AC72, the AC62, or the AC50. It was outsourced, independent.

The AC50 Class rule was not written by M&M. It may be a scaled down version, but it was the Oracle Team USA Design Team who scaled down the rule written by M&M, and in doing so, created the AC50 Americas Cup Class Rule. A completely separate, and new class. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, sclarke said:

The AC50 Class rule was not written by M&M. It may be a scaled down version, but it was the Oracle Team USA Design Team who scaled down the rule written by M&M, and in doing so, created the AC50 Americas Cup Class Rule. A completely separate, and new class. 

OR did the scaling down? That’s possible - Link Please?

But again, it was a ‘scaling down’ only, by whoever all was involved. Same material and other restrictions too, iirc.

Very, very different to what’s been going on Design-wise this time..

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

OR did the scaling down? That’s possible - Link Please?

But again, it was a ‘scaling down’ only, by whoever all was involved. Same material and other restrictions too, iirc.

Very, very different to what’s been going on Design-wise this time..

 

http://www.yachtingworld.com/blogs/matthew-sheahan/new-americas-cup-class-revealed-think-46-knots-in-16-knots-of-wind-and-thats-just-the-start-63197

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, sclarke said:

That doesn’t prove your assertion that OR designed the AC50, but it does bolster some of my from-memory assertions:

Yet one of the clever aspects of the new rule is that not everything has changed. Far from it. Some areas such as the hulls, which now play a small part in the overall performance of the boat as they are rarely in the water, are tightly controlled under the rules. So too is the wing, which is simply a scaled down version of the one that was allowed under the AC62 class rules.

“The wing rule is exactly the same as it was for the 62, (albeit scaled down), with the geometry defined, but the control systems completely open,” said Slingsby.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

My ~hope~ is that LR and ETNZ are not conspiring against everyone else and sharing technology; but it’s very obviously a strong possibility.

 

8 hours ago, nav said:

 

Kinda like OTUSA and SBTJ then....

 

Oh how desperate we become

 

5 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

No, this relationship is far different, in who designed the boats from the start, and in them being COR/D with exclusive power.

 

You spoke and sharing technology - which is what OTUSA and SBTJ did

You can dodge and move the goal posts as much as you like but your by now openly expressed conspiracy theories and troll-like accusations of cheating are making you even more of a laughing stock - tell us is your job as Larry's lapdog a lifetime position?

licky licky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stingray~ said:

That doesn’t prove your assertion that OR designed the AC50, but it does bolster some of my from-memory assertions:

Yet one of the clever aspects of the new rule is that not everything has changed. Far from it. Some areas such as the hulls, which now play a small part in the overall performance of the boat as they are rarely in the water, are tightly controlled under the rules. So too is the wing, which is simply a scaled down version of the one that was allowed under the AC62 class rules.

“The wing rule is exactly the same as it was for the 62, (albeit scaled down), with the geometry defined, but the control systems completely open,” said Slingsby.

So if it wasn't Oracle Team USA who wrote the rule, or designed the rule or whatever, even though it was Larry's idea, and they used their own Test Boats to quantify/ verify data, and then scaled down the 62, it wasn't completely independent as you say it was. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sclarke said:

So if it wasn't Oracle Team USA who wrote the rule, or designed the rule or whatever, even though it was Larry's idea, and they used their own Test Boats to quantify/ verify data, and then scaled down the 62, it wasn't completely independent as you say it was. 

Even GD agreed and praised the change to downsize from the 62 to the 50, just not the way it was majority-agreed instead of unanimous.

But that is a misdirection anyway, from the current situation..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Even GD agreed and praised the change to downsize from the 62 to the 50, just not the way it was majority-agreed instead of unanimous.

And not half way through the cycle after Teams had already begun design work

But that is a misdirection anyway, from the current situation..

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/28/2018 at 1:01 PM, rh2600 said:

Oh FFS - what couched words you use to lay implications - riddle me this then - was it "possible" that OTUSA cheated in AC34?...

That you think ETNZ and LR are not fiercely competing now (if not always) is really, really odd for someone who exposes themselves to so much information...

Fair comment.  Gets to the heart of the matter.  No way to squirm out of this one!

This is the second time in 15 minutes that I have evoked George Schuyler's Deed of Gift: 

"This Cup is donated upon the condition that it shall be preserved as a perpetual challenge Cup for friendly competition between foreign countries."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The is the Team UK thread. Please keep discussion relevant. 

  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, dogwatch said:

The is the Team UK thread. Please keep discussion relevant. 

When Team UK do something relevant, people will talk about them, until then, let it slide...at least the thread stays relevant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If there is no Team UK news, it is just fine for this thread to remain inactive. Please take your endless rehashing of the past elsewhere.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dogwatch said:

If there is no Team UK news, it is just fine for this thread to remain inactive. Please take your endless rehashing of the past elsewhere.

Just don't read it if you don't like it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So do you shit in random places at home like some untrained puppy or do you reserve that behaviour for SAAC?

People check this thread for Team UK news. If it isn't Team UK news, take it elsewhere.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, dogwatch said:

So do you shit in random places at home like some untrained puppy or do you reserve that behaviour for SAAC?

People check this thread for Team UK news. If it isn't Team UK news, take it elsewhere.

 

I shit in the toilet like most people. Its the internet! If there's Team UK news they can still get it here. You just have to sift through everything else! geez! Its sailing anarchy. If you want a news website go to CNN, or better yet, Americas Cup.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, KiwiJoker said:

Fair comment.  Gets to the heart of the matter.  No way to squirm out of this one!

This is the second time in 15 minutes that I have evoked George Schuyler's Deed of Gift: 

"This Cup is donated upon the condition that it shall be preserved as a perpetual challenge Cup for friendly competition between foreign countries."

 

Noted. And I'll pay more attention.  I still think Geo S's beliefs,  admonitions, directions, were right on the money and as relevant today as they were nearly 50 years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/3/2018 at 7:52 AM, dogwatch said:

If there is no Team UK news ...

 

Ahem, are you sure? Not even plastic chairs? A little bird told me ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Big News - I wonder what happened to the 'sustainable team without a single billionaire shareholder'.... great for the funding though. Guess the Range Rovers had to go back!

http://www.landroverbar.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting...big step away from all current sponsors as far as I can make out. Also a change from Royal Thames YC to ahem Royal Cowes Yacht Squadron Racing or maybe that should be Royal Yacht Squadron, Cowes. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

they'll hand back the landrovers and all get a Grenadier, once they've designed it, built it, come up with a name for it and filled it up with whatever it runs on.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/4/2018 at 11:22 AM, Xlot said:

 

Ahem, are you sure? Not even plastic chairs? A little bird told me ...

 

It was just about time ... I know for you Brits "loose lips sink ships" (gotta say the same seems to apply to our Kiwi friends). Now, nothing else? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

at least they lost his name from the team, big improvement might let the team have a better focus as a ...team.

 

ben-ainslie.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TANGO QUEBEC said:

Interesting...big step away from all current sponsors as far as I can make out. Also a change from Royal Thames YC to ahem Royal Cowes Yacht Squadron Racing or maybe that should be Royal Yacht Squadron, Cowes. 

Some bucks for Benny:

"Sailing: Ainslie's America's Cup bid gets $153 million INEOS backing"

https://www.compuserve.com/news/world/story/0002/20180426/KBN1HX1AJ_1

"(...) It was not immediately clear what would happen to the relationships between Ainslie's BAR (Ben Ainslie Racing) and Land Rover and its other commercials sponsors. Ainslie has also previously raised significant sums from private backers. (...)"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sailing/2018/04/26/sir-ben-ainslie-reveals-radical-shake-up-britains-americas-cup/

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-sailing-americascup-ainslie/sailing-ainslies-americas-cup-bid-gets-110-million-ineos-backing-idUKKBN1HX1AM

 

£110M "fully funded". No more Land Rover, Charles Dunstone or Keith Mills. 

JLR is not doing so brilliantly right now with a sharp decline in demand for diesel cars, which is most of their production.,

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

 

 

Wow - silky take-off, rock steady foiling! Why all the fuss about control systems? :D.

 

I would now say that, irrespective of a 2nd US challenger, the field is worthy of a proper AC

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess this is why there hadn't been a formal announcement that the team previously known as LRBAR had entered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:lol: Shame the Challenging YC is not located within GB eh

image.thumb.png.6a02322961922c9c37c29a22fb96f58a.png

Might wanna think about that again maybe?

Amateurs.....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TANGO QUEBEC said:

Interesting...big step away from all current sponsors as far as I can make out. Also a change from Royal Thames YC to ahem Royal Cowes Yacht Squadron Racing or maybe that should be Royal Yacht Squadron, Cowes. 

BAR were always royal yacht squadron. Royal Yacht Squadron racing was always the buffer company affiliated to the RYS, presumably so the yacht club can't go bankrupt if everything goes to the wall. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, nav said:

:lol: Shame the Challenging YC is not located within GB eh

image.thumb.png.6a02322961922c9c37c29a22fb96f58a.png

Might wanna think about that again maybe?

Amateurs.....

 

The challenging YC is the same as last time... and is still in the UK. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, MischiefBDA said:

All about sustainability Ben?

Frack off!

My thoughts exactly, especially with the contrast of the TTOP and Vestas 11th/hr as sponsors we can get behind in the VOR. I'm not a fan of this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites