Barnyb

Team UK

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, surfsailor said:

I also think that - since nearly 50% of the main foils are allowed to be 'flap' - most early designs are going to comprise straight sections with anhedral. That's not to say design teams won't be working on organic shapes, but rather that - since organic shapes with articulation will require some tricky design solutions - teams are certainly not going to reveal what they are working on in that area until the last possible minute.

:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Amusing that the brit boat has 2 floats, which also means that the real boat may capsize in low wind before flying, a small gust and...

Glass half empty, or glass half full? Could just mean they want to be careful, as its a completely new concept and they aren't sure of its characteristics yet.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Training wheels - there's almost certainly little or no ballast in these wings/arms which there will be in the real thing - scale effect - so if you want to keep the displacement parameters in the right sort of area then no spare weight.

So they'll be good for mimicking the straightlining aspects, but not for maneuvering as as you won't have the equivalent polar moments - in either yaw or heel principally, but also partially in pitch.

In sailing terms, then this will be both more sensitive and more reactive too than the full sized animal, but they will learn plenty from the exercise.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ Do you think they have any intention to use the rig - or is it just the to model COG etc for tow-testing?

And the outriggers?

30421-1-1000.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mfluder said:

Glass half empty, or glass half full? Could just mean they want to be careful, as its a completely new concept and they aren't sure of its characteristics yet.

I guess you realize that they don't need to be extra careful with a small test boat and that foils are probably not balasted yet, but will be soon (my guess).

But they will learn the hell of a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

I guess you realize that they don't need to be extra careful with a small test boat and that foils are probably not balasted yet, but will be soon (my guess).

But they will learn the hell of a lot.

Of course they need to be extra careful - any day lost to damage is a day wasted, and right now that is their key advantage...they will only learn when they are out on the water and anything no matter how incidental that limits that is regarded as a *major problem* right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

I guess you realize that they don't need to be extra careful with a small test boat and that foils are probably not balasted yet, but will be soon (my guess).

But they will learn the hell of a lot.

I would think Safety is paramount, and getting the most out of their equipment is also important? Especially given its a brand new concept.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, rh2600 said:

Of course they need to be extra careful - any day lost to damage is a day wasted, and right now that is their key advantage...they will only learn when they are out on the water and anything no matter how incidental that limits that is regarded as a *major problem* right now.

Bah, if they capsize they can put the boat up in a matter of minutes with the assistance, it won't be the same with the real boat !

But back on the original point, have you ever sailed a 5o5, 470, 420 or something like that ? did you have crew on a line ? now imagine replacing him with a ballasted dummy :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Bah, if they capsize they can put the boat up in a matter of minutes with the assistance, it won't be the same with the real boat !

Damage is damage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Bah, if they capsize they can put the boat up in a matter of minutes with the assistance, it won't be the same with the real boat !

But back on the original point, have you ever sailed a 5o5, 470, 420 or something like that ? did you have crew on a line ? now imagine replacing him with a ballasted dummy :)

Pretty sure anybody trying a trapeze for the first time has been that guy once or twice... :D

At least it can't go flying around the front of the mast!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find when I am looking at the frankenboat that the foils don't really seem curved enough for me, surely the leeward foil is going to want to be further out with the foil sections still flat?

The way they are there it's either really high out of the water or the foils are heavily canted when sailing (this would generate lift to windward so maybe it is intentional).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, rh2600 said:

Damage is damage

Agree... mechanical, electronics, everything.

And time lost to re-check everything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/22/2018 at 2:37 AM, hughw said:

Wing forward? Yup, used that on the Q23 3 years ago! 

Ran it in cfd and worked out just fine, and also in practice.  Also on the Q17, Flo1, and a couple of others upcoming shortly.

It was used before that on the Assassin Moth 10 years ago, courtesy of Nick Holroyd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RobG said:

It was used before that on the Assassin Moth 10 years ago, courtesy of Nick Holroyd.

 

The best thing that ever happened to my Assassin foils was getting them ripped off by a crab pot.  Design might have been ok, but the rubberised epoxy they must have used to build them made for flexi pieces of shite!

Replacing them with Mach 2 ones made the boat actually nice to sail and able to do more than 20knots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like at least 8 ft clearance needed for that tiny test boat in regards to another boat making contact with the foils during racing.  So how does that translate to the JC75?  At least 12?  Not good with gauging distances with photos but it seems clear tight action in the pre-start and close racing around the course and turning marks can't/won't happen.  

WetHog  :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, rh2600 said:

Damage is damage

Especially when considering salt water and electronics, and other things, don't get along very well.

WetHog  :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, WetHog said:

Looks like at least 8 ft clearance needed for that tiny test boat in regards to another boat making contact with the foils during racing.  So how does that translate to the JC75?  At least 12?  Not good with gauging distances with photos but it seems clear tight action in the pre-start and close racing around the course and turning marks can't/won't happen.  

WetHog  :ph34r:

Tend to agree, especially if the teams find in testing that the boats have a tendency or possibility of doing a bit of the sideways crawl that Ben did in Bermuda. The JC75 going sideways with one of those big blades in the air will be a fearsome sight to see, and, I suspect, will lead to a set of rules designed to keep the boats away from each other. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, 2Newts said:

the boats have a tendency or possibility of doing a bit of the sideways crawl that Ben did in Bermuda.

It doesn't seem to likely with the design shown as the more horizontal part of the foil will break the surface first without affecting the part that provides the lateral lift.

However it seems possible that with high enough speed only the inboard half of foil will be immersed (with the T-junction above the waterline) and works as surface piercing (hydroptere style) angled foil.

If that happens you would start getting some sideways action and now you have the other half of the foil pointing straight out just above the water ready to take out course marks or anything nearby! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 2Newts said:

The JC75 going sideways with one of those big blades in the air will be a fearsome sight to see..

Surely this will play to the Brits advantage. Centuries of experience in combat with big blades attached ....

5761670518_ef9c1e57b8_b.jpg.057c2da6b67835d0a51fbe02b7c15b7b.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, kiwi777 said:

BAR Prototype being launched

bar1.jpg

 

This boat only has dynamic stability, any sailor can imagine how instable it is.

In 9 kts of wind they don't have enough speed to fly and there is no way their lw ballasted foil can act as a keel, not sure their ww foil up is enough to prevent them from capasizing. That means that they would have to have their ww foil in the water and use it to increase the righting moment. Anyway, strange kind of pterodactyl.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

This boat only has dynamic stability, any sailor can imagine how instable it is.

In 9 kts of wind they don't have enough speed to fly and there is no way their lw ballasted foil can act as a keel, not sure their ww foil up is enough to prevent them from capasizing. That means that they would have to have their ww foil in the water and use it to increase the righting moment. Anyway, strange kind of pterodactyl.

Bernasconi seemed to think 9 knots would be sufficient.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/22/2018 at 8:24 AM, Tornado-Cat said:

Amusing that the brit boat has 2 floats, which also means that the real boat may capsize in low wind before flying, a small gust and...

That is highly amusing.... Or, do you think they are just being cautious while they learn to sail something which has never been done before?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2018 at 2:06 AM, kiwi777 said:

BAR Prototype being launched

bar1.jpg

 

Day late and a dollar short newbie...maybe check the thread next time

 

Thanks to Rennmaus .....

we saw these a few days ago.

Monday it finally appears on the FP - with a link to a different thread, well done.......where they have just reached the 'Jesus Lizard point' in the discussion. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Purple Headed Warrior said:

That is highly amusing.... Or, do you think they are just being cautious while they learn to sail something which has never been done before?

They did not put floats on foiling cat prototypes for last ACs.

It is true that the AC75 is proportionally wider than the brit proto, but, seriously, if you are a sailor, would you sail this narrow boat without keel, and with a ballasted foil down pulling to leeward and adding to the push of the sail without 2 floats ?

Foiling trimarans have float above their foil, the hydroptère too has floats, it's for a reason !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

They did not put floats on foiling cat prototypes for last ACs.

It is true that the AC75 is proportionally wider than the brit proto, but, seriously, if you are a sailor, would you sail this narrow boat without keel, and with a ballasted foil down pulling to leeward and adding to the push of the sail without 2 floats ?

Foiling trimarans have float above their foil, the hydroptère too has floats, it's for a reason !

Depends what side of history you want to be on. If you want to be part of a potentially revolutionary new concept, and be one of, if the first, to make it work, then you would sail it. If you're content to sit back and let someone else do it, or wait till next time, thats your decision. Imagine if those who tested and ensured the stealth bomber worked said "Oh nah, no ones done it before, and it kind of looks too dangerous for me, no thanks. Or the guys who flew the first mission to the Moon said "No thanks, its too dangerous", they wouldn't be remembered as heroes like they are today. There's a reason why guys like Gary Powers, Neil Armstrong, and Buzz Aldrin are, and always will be remembered, because they did something no one had done before. I'm not saying these boats are going to be as influential as the Moon landings, or the Stealth Bomber, but these boats have the potential to be revolutionary, and those testing them are in essence, test pilots, so they've obviously decided which side of history they want to be on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it just an assumption by some here that the foils arms on the test boat are unballasted - or is that know?

Can you really get any meaningful data out - with a critical component of the whole concept missing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recognize I did not time to read the rule properly, I wonder if the ballast could be water whichamount could be controlled when the foil is up ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tornado-Cat said:

I recognize I did not time to read the rule properly, I wonder if the ballast could be water whichamount could be controlled when the foil is up ?

Answer here I guess

Capture.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Thanks, stable and fast until the ww foil hits the water. Nice.

They drop it, then it hits the water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here too 

NEOS Team UK foil-borne on their 28' test monohull, which SI has dubbed the 'Water Bug'

2018-07-24 | TOM EHMAN

PLYMOUTH, GBR (#1076) – A friend in the UK has kindly sent a video taken today of Sir Ben Ainslie's (GBR) modified Quant 28 under sail and in full flight. The video was taken by Harry Aitchison and appeared this evening (London time) on the London Corinthian Sailing Club Facebook page. The post was cheekily entitled, "We have liftoff." It is the first video of which we are aware of Sir Ben's test platform. We previously had pictures of the yacht dockside and under tow, but this is the first video of the yacht sailing let alone fully foil-borne. It appears the floats seen in recent photos have been removed for this video, leading one to believe that the floats are necessary for stability while at the dock and under tow. Your thoughts?

https://www.sailingillustrated.com/single-post/2018/07/24/AC36-First-video-of-INEOS-Team-UK-fully-foil-borne-on-their-28-test-monohull-which-SI-has-dubbed-the-Water-Bug

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mad said:

Nice find!! Wonder how happy the team are about that showing up so quickly?

Then again, the Solent isn’t exactly private. 

Looks like fantastic, fururistic monohull sailing to me! Can’t wait to see more!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hemi said:

Looks like fantastic, fururistic monohull sailing to me! Can’t wait to see more!!

Yeah, it looks a lot less awkward sailing than when it is hanging in the air. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, nav said:

Is it just an assumption by some here that the foils arms on the test boat are unballasted - or is that know?

Can you really get any meaningful data out - with a critical component of the whole concept missing?

I'd say they've gone without, it's not really going to make the biggest of difference to the boats when foiling, as the centre of gravity when sailing isn't going to be that different.

It's really would only on a boat this size move a few feet to windward, on the big boats it still won't be that much, I guess the only real point (IMO) is the ability to self right the big boats. Self-righting this little boat with a small rib will be east as hell, and of course won't disqualify them from the race for using outside assistance ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd imagine ballasting would decrease the amount of hydraulic effort required to get the foil back into the correct position for a tack or gybe and give significant advantage in terms of righting moment (or does that not matter once you are foiling? I wonder if the foil can trim fwd and aft then its a useful trim tool when it comes to weight trimming the boat for level.

...and if you were making a testbed, wouldn't you test all the parameters you need to, as laid out in the rules? bit of a pointless exercise with questions unanswered so I'd guess that these foils (or the generation of the foils to come for this boat) will have internal voids so that they can play with different levels of ballast and measure the effects against synthetic modelling.

Am I right in thinking that UK is the first team to actually get out there with a prototype? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No floats, which confirms what thought, they are necessary for light wind, or at the dock. The good point is to see them going well with a soft sail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blown away by that video.  So cool.  Much better than expected at this stage.  Game on.  Excited. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, looking good. Well done FRACKIBAR, Dan B and the algorithms  - works right out of the box, again.

Will hopefully counter some of the nay-saying Whineasaurs

A nice NASA-like progression through the development - or so it would appear.

Re ballast. remember that the foil arms are a supplied item, so there is no point in 'playing with ballast in voids' there (unless you are doing it on behalf of the whole group!?). The foil wings are open +/-.

The Herald's take... https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12095149

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is so new here ? forget the mono and think platform. I noticed right from the beginning that it was very close from the Vampire Project that has been sailing for years. The difference are the inversed V foils tips and the flaps.

It was nonsense to move the whole foil for stability, flaps are going to be the real improvement. But the inversed V might provide auto stability too.

M20Vampire2015g.jpg.5b18583220ac98aadf048d1d3f67a90e.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

What is so new here ? forget the mono and think platform. I noticed right from the beginning that it was very close from the Vampire Project that has been sailing for years. The difference are the inversed V foils tips and the flaps.

It was nonsense to move the whole foil for stability, flaps are going to be the real improvement. But the inversed V might provide auto stability too.

M20Vampire2015g.jpg.5b18583220ac98aadf048d1d3f67a90e.jpg

Everything is new here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, swedishswimmingteam said:

I've gotta say, it looks WAY more stable than I thought it would be this early in the piece.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, mfluder said:

Imagine this scaled up to 75 feet. Game on!

So long as the boats stay a specific distance apart.  ;)

WetHog :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, WetHog said:

So long as the boats stay a specific distance apart.  ;)

WetHog :ph34r:

Thats usually the idea. Its not bumper cars you know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mfluder said:

 

15 minutes ago, WetHog said:

So long as the boats stay a specific distance apart.  ;)

WetHog :ph34r:

C'mon wh, we've been all over this already

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mfluder said:

Thats usually the idea. Its not bumper cars you know.

No, not usually.  Just in the AC.

WetHog  :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WetHog said:

No, not usually.  Just in the AC.

WetHog  :ph34r:

Maybe time to stop watching and or following the AC then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks to pop up on the other foil very quickly...flaps are going to be a game changer for control.

Looks better tuned for pitch control already as well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, mfluder said:

Maybe time to stop watching and or following the AC then?

I follow the AC for national reasons, cool boats and seeing said cool boats match race.

Why do you follow the AC?  Serious question.  

WetHog  :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, WetHog said:

I follow the AC for national reasons, cool boats and seeing said cool boats match race.

Why do you follow the AC?  Serious question.  

WetHog  :ph34r:

Because 1) National reasons (Real) National reasons.

2) Like you I enjoy seeing the boats and technology associated.

3) Because I've followed every AC since 87 and was there to witness the homecoming of the winning 95 team, the successful defence of 2000, and the debacle of 2003. Yet I and many others kept the faith and saw our dreams come true. 

4) Kiwi's have a passion for the AC unlike many other countries. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mfluder said:

Because 1) National reasons (Real) National reasons.

2) Like you I enjoy seeing the boats and technology associated.

3) Because I've followed every AC since 87 and was there to witness the homecoming of the winning 95 team, the successful defence of 2000, and the debacle of 2003. Yet I and many others kept the faith and saw our dreams come true. 

4) Kiwi's have a passion for the AC unlike many other countries. 

 

Good reasons.  I too have followed since '87.  Saw KZ1 in person when it made a visit to Annapolis.  Very cool boat.

I notice match racing isn't on your list.  That explains our disagreement.  Fair enough.

WetHog  :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, WetHog said:

Good reasons.  I too have followed since '87.  Saw KZ1 in person when it made a visit to Annapolis.  Very cool boat.

I notice match racing isn't on your list.  That explains our disagreement.  Fair enough.

WetHog  :ph34r:

Match Racing is great, but realistically, in today's era of speed end extreme performance, match racing is only part of the overall package. We haven't seen real match racing since 2007, and probably won't for a few cycles. Boats just hit the corners now because thats what makes for great TV. But there are plenty of match racing regattas to follow. Swedish Match Racing tour, the Congressional Cup, etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, mfluder said:

Match Racing is great, but realistically, in today's era of speed end extreme performance, match racing is only part of the overall package. We haven't seen real match racing since 2007, and probably won't for a few cycles. Boats just hit the corners now because thats what makes for great TV. But there are plenty of match racing regattas to follow. Swedish Match Racing tour, the Congressional Cup, etc. 

Ok, then if its just about speed now, and match racing is basically and afterthought, then you would be ok with making the AC a fleet race?  Start off Rangitoto Island, all boats head up to Little Barrier Island, round Little Barrier Island to starboard and the 1st one back wins the Cup?  Or how about a speed trial, one boat at a time?  

WetHog  :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ Hmmmm, sounds a lot like GS's DOG default course - was he wrong too IYO?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, nav said:

^ Hmmmm, sounds a lot like GS's DOG default course - was he wrong too IYO?

Not necessarily and if GD went that route he probably would of gotten more Challengers.  :lol:

WetHog  :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or if he was as rich as Croesus he could have just paid extra teams to enter - imagine that!?

That's 2 of your moans taken care of...next

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why does match racing need to be in slow boats.

Isn't a match race a race between two boats, fast or slow?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m curious how many Emirates fan boys threw a tantrum about imaginary course boundaries, but now try to justify the imaginary diamond around the dopey foils. 

Edit: and now try to justify it being good for racing.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Monkey said:

I’m curious how many Emirates fan boys threw a tantrum about imaginary course boundaries, but now try to justify the imaginary diamond around the dopey foils. 

Edit: and now try to justify it being good for racing.

 

Try and justify it not being good racing. And saying "I don't think it will be" isn't justifying it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mfluder said:

Try and justify it not being good racing. And saying "I don't think it will be" isn't justifying it.

So, just for the record, you’re saying that if I dig into old threads, I won’t find you pouting about artificial boundaries?  A simple yes or no will suffice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Monkey said:

So, just for the record, you’re saying that if I dig into old threads, I won’t find you pouting about artificial boundaries?  A simple yes or no will suffice. 

First of all, there is a HUGE difference between the diamonds around the boats, versus the course boundaries around the course. The course boundaries were introduced solely to keep the boats close to ensure close racing. The Diamonds are being introduced to keep the boats apart due to safety concerns. But by all means, dig all you like. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, mfluder said:

First of all, there is a HUGE difference between the diamonds around the boats, versus the course boundaries around the course. The course boundaries were introduced solely to keep the boats close to ensure close racing. The Diamonds are being introduced to keep the boats apart due to safety concerns. But by all means, dig all you like. 

Tell yourself whatever helps you sleep at night. It’s just as stupid. It’s an artificial boundary to deal with a stupid boat. 

Afraid to answer my question Clarkey boy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Monkey said:

Tell yourself whatever helps you sleep at night. It’s just as stupid. It’s an artificial boundary to deal with a stupid boat. 

Afraid to answer my question Clarkey boy?

The only stupid thing is your question, and your stupid comment. Don't let me catch you following this AC since everything about it is stupid. I will call you out for your hypocrisy if you continue following this cycle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Monkey said:

So, just for the record, you’re saying that if I dig into old threads, I won’t find you pouting about artificial boundaries?  A simple yes or no will suffice. 

I think that the boundaries were largely due to pond venues. We may not see that this cycle.

As the races won't be in a pond. As gd says, the north shore beaches will be a fabulous vantage point, spread out for a dozen miles. No amphitheater.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/24/2018 at 4:07 PM, Tornado-Cat said:

Answer here I guess

Capture.PNG

Actually, the answer is the 3.375 m radius circle in the Design Rule.  It takes a heavy foil to get the c.g. of the arm and foil to be outside the circle.  Think of it like twin winged bulb keels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't be anything but impressed by that B)

 

Short straightline vid didn't really prove much on its own but this vid is much more convincing.

That looked pretty close to a foiling gybe & at the least they got back up quickly without obvious struggle, flight looks reasonably stable.

 

We do still not know what kind of angles they can pull though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've seen a lot of vids with boats reaching on foils. The gybe is way more impressive!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

that was an almost foiling gybe in a dying Solent sea breeze - pretty impressive stuff given the wind strength.

if they are doing this in less than 10 knots true then the mind boggles when it comes to the full size bus! closing speeds at the bottom mark are going to raise a few heart rates.

so where are the US, ITA, NZ test boats? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Basiliscus said:

Actually, the answer is the 3.375 m radius circle in the Design Rule.  It takes a heavy foil to get the c.g. of the arm and foil to be outside the circle.  Think of it like twin winged bulb keels.

Yes, and wingeg bulb keels attached to the side of the boat.

I was wondering if they could fill their upped foil with water but the space seems too limited.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, bad sandwhich said:

that was an almost foiling gybe in a dying Solent sea breeze - pretty impressive stuff given the wind strength.

if they are doing this in less than 10 knots true then the mind boggles when it comes to the full size bus! closing speeds at the bottom mark are going to raise a few heart rates.

so where are the US, ITA, NZ test boats? 

ETNZ are going straight into their first AC75 early next year. Nothing before then by the looks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, bad sandwhich said:

that was an almost foiling gybe in a dying Solent sea breeze - pretty impressive stuff given the wind strength.

if they are doing this in less than 10 knots true then the mind boggles when it comes to the full size bus! closing speeds at the bottom mark are going to raise a few heart rates.

so where are the US, ITA, NZ test boats? 

Yep, may have just about been 10kts in the ‘gusts’ very impressive for such small breeze

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mfluder said:

ETNZ are going straight into their first AC75 early next year. Nothing before then by the looks.

is that a bit brave?

"the difference between bravery and stupidity is the outcome'

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, bad sandwhich said:

is that a bit brave?

"the difference between bravery and stupidity is the outcome'

 

Not really - their simulations obviously indicated good stability, and BAR's mini-rig has proved that too be true, and that ETNZ are right to be just getting on with a bigger boat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

The boat looks more stable sailing and gybing than the GC32 for sure and even AC50s.

Who are you and what have you done with the real TC?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bad sandwhich said:

so where are the US, ITA, NZ test boats? 

in the computer being raced hard 24/7 ;)

 

That flybe certainly looked 'perfectable' - (even if the angle is horrendous at present)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tornado-Cat said:

The boat looks more stable sailing and gybing than the GC32 for sure and even AC50s.

Finally allowing flaps instead of moving the whole foil was long overdue. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, nav said:

Or if he was as rich as Croesus he could have just paid extra teams to enter - imagine that!?

That's 2 of your moans taken care of...next

Considering GD thinks some of what Coutts did with AC35 wasn't that bad, offering teams a design package to buy in the hopes of getting more Challengers, I wouldn't rule out an AC36 version of SoftDick Japan popping up in the near future.  Especially if the politicians start chirping about team bases going unfilled.  Patrizio the Poodle and Matteo the Magnificent have the money to do it.  ;)

WetHog  :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, mfluder said:

The only stupid thing is your question, and your stupid comment. Don't let me catch you following this AC since everything about it is stupid. I will call you out for your hypocrisy if you continue following this cycle.

Oh boy, we got a new forum monitor who will arbitrarily determine who can and cannot follow the AC and participate in discussions on this forum.  

2u94owy.jpg

WetHog  :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, mfluder said:

Everything is new here.

Wrong, time before Guillaume Verdier had already worked on a projet of a 39 ft in NZ. The boat was not constructed but the project was finished, so TNZ already had a package of a smaller boat done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WetHog said:

Oh boy, we got a new forum monitor who will arbitrarily determine who can and cannot follow the AC and participate in discussions on this forum.  

 

Wethog, you will recall that all the ETNZ fans who were inwardly critical of AC33/34/35 had the good grace to keep their negative opinions to themselves. Nobody had a bad word to say. Politeness demands they we should behave towards ETNZ with all the tolerance and good grace previously displayed by their fan base.

(Hey, I know not all the ETNZ fans are bell-ends. Only some.)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, WetHog said:

Oh boy, we got a new forum monitor who will arbitrarily determine who can and cannot follow the AC and participate in discussions on this forum.  

2u94owy.jpg

WetHog  :ph34r:

What I'm saying is, you go on about how dangerous the boats are, how silly the boats are, how they "can't be match raced" how ridiculously expensive they are, how you don't agree with what ETNZ and LR are doing, you don't agree with the Nationality/ resident rule, but you weren't an Oracle fan either, how you want to see "traditional match racing". 

You say you like watching cool boats match racing, well you've already said you don't like the boats, and they are too dangerous and silly, so you don't like the boat, so there's one of the things that you want gone.

You've already said the boats can't be match raced either, so there's the second thing you want to see gone too.

The rules are set, so the residential, nationality rule isn't going to change.

So whats left for you to like about it? Why follow it if you don't like anything about it? You're not going to see anything you want to see, so why waste your time following it?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, rh2600 said:

Who are you and what have you done with the real TC?

I comment on boats whatever some may think.

The irony is that you thought I criticized the AC75 because "I hated TNZ", but the boat has been designed by a french and a brit :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites