Barnyb

Team UK

2 hours ago, RobG said:

Because a long shot of the submerged port foil gives away so much more detail than the opening close shot of the raised starboard foil?

I certainly wondered the same thing. But I believe my eyes, and I've done a fair bit of vfx. As I said I'm on the fence about it, could be very fine spray that looks strange from the overhead shot. The blur matte looks like student work actually...

19 hours ago, barfy said:

I certainly wondered the same thing. But I believe my eyes, and I've done a fair bit of vfx. As I said I'm on the fence about it, could be very fine spray that looks strange from the overhead shot. The blur matte looks like student work actually...

Again I would ask why they would bother doing a CGI when they have put out real footage. It makes zero sense. If there really is some doctoring of the image, maybe it is no more than hiding things they consider important, which is what happened in Bermuda with most teams. How about they are hiding the wake because it would give away info on leeway? Or one of a number of other things. The idea of a fake video simply does not add up.

Never mentioned full cgi, just some vfx blur or enhanced spray in part of the shot.

And as mentioned,a great shot of the windward foil wing.???

6 hours ago, A Class Sailor said:

Again I would ask why they would bother doing a CGI when they have put out real footage. It makes zero sense.

To make it look more impressive -> build hype, aka marketing, which is what that vid is about.

There is what looks like wind-chop from the N coupled with ground swell from the E. That isn't common in the Solent. Also no gust streaks, which I'd expect to see. A curious lack of shadow. I am having trouble identifying the shore background, yet it is an area I know well. I'd like to say it is genuine but I think it is CGI. Not 100% certain though.

It's eastern Solent in a north - easterly breeze breeze. Horse Sand fort at the start of the video. Reaching back toward Portsmouth harbour entrance. 

In the last shot before it cuts to the INEOS logo you can see South Parade Pier in the far left of shot and Langstone Harbour Entrance in the far right. 

In all their videos they've gone for this heavy teal low lights and washed out highlights. I think it's just the colouring preference of their video editing guy, but it does wash out the horizon a bit. 

The video is also 60fps which creates a weird feel. I think it's slowed down to half speed. 

I've seen them out training in this area quit a bit before. In fact I'd think they'd train there mostly as it's out of the way of the Cowes small boat traffic. 

I don't see anything weird about the waves, you often get an easterly swell as it hooks around the eastern end of the IoW. 

No idea if the spray is doctored. But it seems odd to do so. I think they have spy boats following them anyways, plus there's plenty of un-doctored amateur footage too. 

I agree it looks like the eastern end of the Solent in a north or NNE breeze. The background on the north island looks insufficiently built-up to be Southsea and where has the Spinnaker Tower gone? I only recall E swell that pronounced in the Solent when the wind is more directly E and if the wind is coming off the mainland it normally has gust streaks, which in this video you don't see. So it all doesn't quite add up to me. Maybe you are right and it looks unreal due to so much treatment. As I said, I'm not certain.

I've no doubt they are actually out sailing and training. Just not sure about this video.

Foils look flatter now, less anhedral than previously, big suckers to! Light weather, high lift foils?

1 hour ago, Boybland said:

Foils look flatter now, less anhedral than previously, big suckers to! Light weather, high lift foils?

are you allowed articulation of the joint with the vertical stab? too lazy to check prot. would allow control of anhedral during racing...

And the flap hinges are getting harder to spot. Must be big gains with flexible membranes which I believe were specified ok in the rule.

Just now, daan62 said:

from facebook... difference between left and right foil...

Afbeelding kan het volgende bevatten: lucht, wolk en buiten

Afbeelding kan het volgende bevatten: een of meer mensen, lucht en buiten

9 hours ago, daan62 said:

That port foil wouldn't fit the rule I don't think.

You would think that gross differences in foil set up would be better modeled in simulation.

13 hours ago, daan62 said:

Afbeelding kan het volgende bevatten: lucht, wolk en buiten

Afbeelding kan het volgende bevatten: een of meer mensen, lucht en buiten

And it looks like they're using a D-section mast.

1 hour ago, hoom said:

623Aze8.jpg

Might have fit the original rule

MucM4Dp.jpg

In what way did the rule change?

Did you open your eyes & look at the hatched area on the diagrams?

1st is the updated rule, 2nd pic is original.

Interesting...didn't catch that change. Basically went from a 1100'mm box to a 700'mm box. 

Hoom, I see what you mean now, thanks. I wonder why the rule changed there?

1 hour ago, dogwatch said:

Hoom, I see what you mean now, thanks. I wonder why the rule changed there?

to disadvantage the challengers of course :-)

3 hours ago, Kiwing said:

to disadvantage the challengers of course :-)

I disagree

Surely it is something based on their testing of the hydraulic system? 

I dont think this defender is going to be playing games quite like our last....

Strange, small surface for the foil wing:

- 700 vs 1100 mm depth

- 75 mm vs 150 mm above the foil socket

I guess it has to do with a different foil or foil socket in order to be able to accept the pressure coming from the flap.

^ 2x75=150 ;)

I.e. no change of dimension there, just a change in the way the measurement is designated (from center -line)

This pic nicely shows the foil in operating position.

Vertical lift section max outboard & horizontal, inner section relatively vertical for max leeway effect.

3 hours ago, hoom said:

Vertical lift section max outboard & horizontal, inner section relatively vertical for max leeway effect.

Huge contrast to the Magic one. The lift to leeward will affect apparent wind advantageously ??

4 hours ago, Kiwing said:

The lift to leeward will affect apparent wind advantageously ??

Leeway resistance, leeway reduction, anti-leeway effect...

On 11/10/2018 at 9:08 PM, hoom said:

Leeway resistance, leeway reduction, anti-leeway effect...

Rather than using the combined vector of a flat foil to achieve the same thing. As surf sailor mentioned regards the wake beside the mule, I guess the effects of surface piercing may compromise the flat design wing.

Gonna be interesting to see the etnz design upon launch next year.

And this may have been what mini frack was obscuring in their video.

3 hours ago, barfy said:

Rather than using the combined vector of a flat foil to achieve the same thing.

Worked for ETNZ last time *shrug*

On 11/10/2018 at 10:23 AM, hoom said:

It's not a simple equation though, anhedral may have benefits but so does a straight wing. The optimal amount, from say zero to say 30° max, will depend on a number of variables.

The maximum anhedral is about 30° below horizontal (to fit within the rule geometry limits), so where the outer wing is horizontal, the inner wing will be depressed about 60°. That requires the arm to be raised about 30°, so the boat will be lower to the water. It can't be lengthened or reshaped to compensate (supplied equipment, geometry limits). But raising the arm also moves the outer wing further out, so more RM.

Any additional lift from the inner wing  for leeway control is anti–RM. At the maximum (say 60° below Hz), about 15% goes to vertical lift that takes away from the outer wing's lift. It also creates a torsion to leeward, so stress on the joint and more anti–RM. 

For a straight wing, (no anhedral), the arm can be lower and the boat higher for the same foil depth at the joint. Canting the foil to windward lowers the boat, creates lift to windward and moves the foil further out, so it too gains RM.

There are lots of pros and cons to consider. I don't think the tip of a straight wing angled say 20° to windward piercing the surface is much of an issue (provided it's allowed for in the design) until the boats are near the limit. It will most likely happen going to windward where maximum windward lift is used, so a flat foil may be less prone to ventilation drops.

• Like 1

I've made no attempt to quantify it or prove its best, I just think its notable that it splits the functions so similarly to ETNZs winning foils.

9 hours ago, AKL wino said:

Any dock talk on where Ineos are heading to continue testing over the UK winter? 

I cant imagine they will go far.... I assume the new Nodding Donkey will be out of the shed soon and with the whole team in the UK they will just sail on through like all good sailors in the UK!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eltelatron said:

Have the just lost Iain Jensen and Luke Parkinson to SailGPJapan? Or have they been allowed to work with both?

Reportedly Jensen will be the first to "compete in both" AC and SailGP  https://www.sail-world.com/news/212355/Double-Olympic-medalists-join-Japan-SailGP-Team

I suspect $$$$ is involved, lol.  

I have to wonder if there were delays in announcing F50 team Japan while working though getting Jensen without making him give up his slot with Ben's AC team.

20 hours ago, P Flados said:

I have to wonder if there were delays in announcing F50 team Japan while working though getting Jensen without making him give up his slot with Ben's AC team.

The AC 36 rule applies to ~teams~ participating in other boat Class events, not to individuals. 

1 hour ago, Stingray~ said:

The AC 36 rule applies to ~teams~ participating in other boat Class events, not to individuals. 

True, but being on an AC team has a certain commitment as far as time & location. 

"Team building" time for one event becomes time away from the other Team effort. 

It is a juggle that many pull off, but details have to be worked out & considered.

12 hours ago, P Flados said:

True, but being on an AC team has a certain commitment as far as time & location. 

"Team building" time for one event becomes time away from the other Team effort. 

It is a juggle that many pull off, but details have to be worked out & considered.

True...

But there is a lot more to learn about the high speed foiling racing... Even just keeping peoples minds working fast enough to keep up with the on the water decision making is a help.

Great idea to let these guys go and do this!

6 hours ago, nav said:

"Yeah, most of your money went that way I think Mr Frack"

image.thumb.png.a0657b7ff56719283f173c539080e6d7.png

Keep this angle and the speed up, you really want to give the dock a good shunt as you mount it...

• Like 1

On 11/19/2018 at 11:06 AM, RobG said:

It's not a simple equation though, anhedral may have benefits but so does a straight wing. The optimal amount, from say zero to say 30° max, will depend on a number of variables.

The maximum anhedral is about 30° below horizontal (to fit within the rule geometry limits), so where the outer wing is horizontal, the inner wing will be depressed about 60°. That requires the arm to be raised about 30°, so the boat will be lower to the water. It can't be lengthened or reshaped to compensate (supplied equipment, geometry limits). But raising the arm also moves the outer wing further out, so more RM.

Any additional lift from the inner wing  for leeway control is anti–RM. At the maximum (say 60° below Hz), about 15% goes to vertical lift that takes away from the outer wing's lift. It also creates a torsion to leeward, so stress on the joint and more anti–RM. 

For a straight wing, (no anhedral), the arm can be lower and the boat higher for the same foil depth at the joint. Canting the foil to windward lowers the boat, creates lift to windward and moves the foil further out, so it too gains RM.

There are lots of pros and cons to consider. I don't think the tip of a straight wing angled say 20° to windward piercing the surface is much of an issue (provided it's allowed for in the design) until the boats are near the limit. It will most likely happen going to windward where maximum windward lift is used, so a flat foil may be less prone to ventilation drops.

Good stuff here.

I cant help but consider the need to balance a number of factors. Firstly I believe the hunt to maximise RM will increase the amount of anhedral for stronger wind/power conditions.

The increase in anhedral will enable less likelihood of tip breakout and the assocciated drag and ventilation issues that surface breaching would lead to.

It also allows the flying elements to fly closer to the waters surface and bring the junction of the strut to the foils to be slightly closer to the surface - thereby reducing the amount of supporting strut to be immersed - again reducing parasitic drag from this element.

However, I think we will quite quickly see teams adopt "Veal Heel" style of sailing - whereby as soon as the rig is vectored above horizontal then a win/win scenario evolves. The rig forces being vectored above horizontal not only reduces the "mass" the hydrofoils have to counter and support, but also beause as soon as the rig is heeled to weather then its own mass contributes to additional ( and free, or unmeasured) RM. Traditional keelboats that sail high heel angles to leeward significantly increase their displacement and wave making drag from the rig depressing the boat deeper into the water.

So the foils have to support a lower mass and the whole package has higher RM. The foils can run less flap for lift - or better yet be an overall smaller size with associated reductions in drag.

It will boil down to treading a fine line of seeking power initially, then running with the lowest global drag factors - be that hull windage, rig drag, foil drag and a thousand other factors - whilst enabling the supporting strut and foil package to fit within the "envelope" that the rules prescribe.

Subtle but important design detail traits will emerge as the actual boats are launched - the shapes and function of the hull will I think be the most obvious. Do you plump for the fastest archimedian solution in sub foiling windspeeds? Do you trade some of those light air design traits, for a low drag hull that will allow or survive a more foregiving "touch & go" splashdown type event - without completely stoppping the whole show dead in its tracks - maybe with flatter rocker and a wide scow bow that might bounce a little more favourably than say a super fine needle nose that coukld just spear all the way in?

Interesting times ahead....

16 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Ratcliffe has become a "Laughing Stock" for Ben's Team. 

No, not a laughing stock. More like an object of contempt.

8 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

Just as well the AC won’t be contested by 28ft test bed boats being towed around the race course then... 

No to mention the fact that you can't tell much from a 0.25 second clip LOL

Front Page Hate for some of the AC teams and names continues from the ED.  

Quote "Any team built on the dirty money of an anti-environmental business like this, deserves not even an iota of support, and certainly not from us. And don’t be fooled by Ainslie’s bullshit, he sold out to the devil, and for what? To line his pockets while not winning another AC?"

If you are looking for a villain in this AC, look no further than these frackers…

ED:  Did you really expect Ainslie to say NO to the money for his campaign? Australia 11 took Bond's money and he went to jail not long after winning the cup. The America's Cup has been riddled with "DIRTY" since it's inception. 

• Like 3

The "holier than thou" that frequently emanates from the FP and Ed is laughable. He hints at preaching with integrity and that all readers should follow his advice and condemn whatever his agenda is for that day.

One minute it is Anarchy;  the next,  any Brand who will throw this website a Dollar is all Hunky Dory, super cool, best whatever...... Hah, don't make me laugh, I will not be drinking the cool aid.

Take a look at the companies that advertise or sponsor here - have they all got green creditials? - have they been audited about cradle to grave resource and waste management. Of course they haven't.....

Hell the whole sport is an ecological disaster - we wear Oil/Plastic based performance clothing (fuck off the naysayers about their merino wool underwear....) in our Plastic built boats, or wood boats glued together with plastic glues and coated in plastic based paints and varnishes, powered by plastic based sails, controlled by plastic based lines and ropes, and auxillaried by diesel engines or plastic shrouded torqueedos with their unrecyclable lithium batteries inside their plastic, fused with metal housings. Even solar panels, wind generators and the like are often based around plastic technology that is irreversibly fused with alloys and other materials that prevent their re-use.

Yet the sport markets heavily on its supposed green credentials.

Do I have the answers - No. But I try to be open and pragmatic in this society of opposing dichotomies.

Do I support Fracking - Fuck off. It is ecological vandalism - shattering bedrock and aquifers with toxic hydraulic fluid is insane.

But Look at any sportsman or team who has been paid by likes of a global brand. They are on equally shaky ground. Doesn't matter whether it be a Car , IT, Sports Shoes, Airline, Credit Card, Bank, Insurance or Oil Company.

No companies are run sustainably for the benefit of the planet. None. 

Don't believe the hype - or the Ed's

Be a good neighbour and tread as softly as you can upon our fragile planet - but ultimately, be prepared to wield a big bloody stick - whether that be verbal or literal.

This website should be renamed "Sailing Hypocrites".

• Like 4

Oh for heaven's sake, Tempesta is driving clicks, is all. Nothing wrong with that.  Don't take it serious.

5 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Front Page Hate for some of the AC teams and names continues from the ED.  

Quote "Any team built on the dirty money of an anti-environmental business like this, deserves not even an iota of support, and certainly not from us. And don’t be fooled by Ainslie’s bullshit, he sold out to the devil, and for what? To line his pockets while not winning another AC?"

If you are looking for a villain in this AC, look no further than these frackers…

ED:  Did you really expect Ainslie to say NO to the money for his campaign? Australia 11 took Bond's money and he went to jail not long after winning the cup. The America's Cup has been riddled with "DIRTY" since it's inception. 

INEOS TEAM UK should not be allowed to race in Auckland and should be prohibited from any further AC Competition.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, dg_sailingfan said:

INEOS TEAM UK should not be allowed to race in Auckland and should be prohibited from any further AC Competition.

Still a fucking dickhead A4E. The new login hasn’t changed anything 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dg_sailingfan said:

the Americas cup is about winning not beeing nice and fluffy. by taking the Ineos money Ainslie showed that he finally had realised that winning was what matters and by the quality of the team that he now has with simmer vrolijk etc they obviously agree.

Also I am interested  which americas cup challenger or definder  in history has been backed by a whiter than white character .... there are obviously shades of grey ! 

• Like 3

Jeez the way the Ed is bitching about ben and Ineos anyone would think they tag teamed his wife..

grow the fuck up, as said above sailing, yachting the AC isn’t about who is greenest and kindest, you think nesspresso give a fuck about how many coffee pods get into landfill each year? Or Emirates, the airline used to promote  That lovely region of the world impeccable human rights record...  or Boeing and airbus building all them damn planes with thier Chemtrails...

but no as as long as Ed gets to Nosh off the sailing glitterati at Mets pretending he is cool and edgy while  printing lazy biased shite on his front page then I guess we got to support him eh? 

And this site still wonders why it gets flicked from the AC press pack, look in the mirror. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dogwatch said:

Oh for heaven's sake, Tempesta is driving clicks, is all. Nothing wrong with that.  Don't take it serious.

Yep, him and Hancock are trying to get noticed.

7 hours ago, hairyharford said:

the Americas cup is about winning not beeing nice and fluffy. by taking the Ineos money Ainslie showed that he finally had realised that winning was what matters and by the quality of the team that he now has with simmer vrolijk etc they obviously agree.

Also I am interested  which americas cup challenger or definder  in history has been backed by a whiter than white character .... there are obviously shades of grey ! 

I do agree... You are right... but sometimes its nice to see Goliath fall

9 hours ago, hairyharford said:

You know whom you are talking about, right? At the age of 10 this guy determined that winning is what matters. You think he won all those olympic medals without some serious sponsorship money? He was part of the winning AC team in SF and has seen what it takes to win: deep deep pockets. He always knew that his previous attempt was underfunded and it was a way to bring in more serious money. Does he have the team to win this time? We will see, but this guy is determined and I have always thought that 

Fracking is a crime, agreed!

Serious Q for all those (including the ED) complaining about Ineos money...  what do you fuel your car with?    Unicorn piss?

It’s not.

morally you and others dont like it but it but it isn’t actually a chargeable offence  so please don’t get too dramatic about it

11 minutes ago, pipboat said:

Serious Q for all those (including the ED) complaining about Ineos money...  what do you fuel your car with?    Unicorn piss?

Hopes, dreams and hypocrites tears..

5 hours ago, AnotherSailor said:

You know whom you are talking about, right? At the age of 10 this guy determined that winning is what matters. You think he won all those olympic medals without some serious sponsorship money? He was part of the winning AC team in SF and has seen what it takes to win: deep deep pockets. He always knew that his previous attempt was underfunded and it was a way to bring in more serious money. Does he have the team to win this time? We will see, but this guy is determined and I have always thought that 

Fracking is a crime, agreed!

edit:not my pic, found it, sorry to the artist.

ben-ainslie.jpeg

10 hours ago, teamvmg said:

Yep, him and Hancock are trying to get noticed.

What a farking dynamic duo that is...! I've always wondered why Brian Handonit get's his voice heard so often at SA ?  

8 hours ago, pipboat said:

Not actually a serious question, as proponents of fracking in the UK hope to extract shale gas, not oil.

1 hour ago, dogwatch said:

Not actually a serious question, as proponents of fracking in the UK hope to extract shale gas, not oil.

You and your facts! ;-)

On 1/15/2019 at 10:47 AM, hairyharford said:

Ben Ainslie is the biggest hypocrite ever. Talking about a sustainability message during Bermuda, then doing a 360 by accepting INEOS money.

I'm sure Dalts is thrilled having a Team in Auckland whose Main Sponsor is dumping Chemicals into the water 24/7.

35 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

I'm sure Dalts is thrilled having a Team in Auckland whose Main Sponsor is dumping Chemicals into the water 24/7.

Nah, he’s more concerned with the team who’s main sponsor burns huge amounts of jet fuel 24/7, creating all kinds of carbon emissions. 

6 minutes ago, Monkey said:

Nah, he’s more concerned with the team who’s main sponsor burns huge amounts of jet fuel 24/7, creating all kinds of carbon emissions. 

Lets face it.... None of them give a shit where the money comes from and Dalts also doesnt care which teams turn up as long as they do.

I have never like the BAR team... It was all way too corporate for me to enjoy watching and following; at least now its not and they can simply get on with just competing for the Americas Cup.

The U-Turn on their environmental ethic is hilarious and I would love to see this billionaires money thrown away in the hunt for a cup he read about in the Telegraph.

4 minutes ago, Purple Headed Warrior said:

Lets face it.... None of them give a shit where the money comes from and Dalts also doesnt care which teams turn up as long as they do.

I have never like the BAR team... It was all way too corporate for me to enjoy watching and following; at least now its not and they can simply get on with just competing for the Americas Cup.

The U-Turn on their environmental ethic is hilarious and I would love to see this billionaires money thrown away in the hunt for a cup he read about in the Telegraph.

I agree that they don’t care where the money comes from. A4E is just whining about nonsense, as usual. 

25 minutes ago, Purple Headed Warrior said:

Ben Ainslie is least liked Sailor in GB. He's desperate to be liked like Sir Andy Murray is which he won't. He has too much of an ego as well. Combine that all together it won't win you the AC.

And yes, I also don't like it when the Cup is too much owned by Billionaires.

18 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Ben Ainslie is least liked Sailor in GB. He's desperate to be liked like Sir Andy Murray is which he won't. He has too much of an ego as well. Combine that all together it won't win you the AC.

Very true!

There are lots of stories about him......... 

2 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Poor Brits, they don't like their prime minister, they don't like the EU, they don't like Brexit, and they don't like their top sailor. It is like they don't like themselves!

3 hours ago, Purple Headed Warrior said:

Very true!

There are lots of stories about him......... 

Oh stories.... are you 12? 

little made up ones? Or ones you or the ED would like to libel themselves by putting them in print? 

3 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

FFS. Most champions in their sport have an ego. You have to have one to get to where you are. You know how the saying goes, nice guys finish last. Ben is the most accomplished sailor in Olympic history. You can like him, or you can hate him, but you have to respect him and his achievements. 

It remains to be seen whether he will win or not, but there's no denying that he has as good a shot as anyone at winning. With guys like Simmer heading up the team, and guys like Leigh Mcmillan as part of the leadership, the sky is the limit for Ineos Team UK, it just depends whether they can put it all together. Ineos is a means to an end. That's all it is. Its just business. Its not like Ainslie is saying "I don't give a f*ck about this planet, that's why I signed with Ineos". So get over it. Ineos is a major sponsor, a sponsor which provides Ainslie with the resources he feels he needs to win, resources his previous sponsors could not provide.

3 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

Oh stories.... are you 12? 

little made up ones? Or ones you or the ED would like to libel themselves by putting them in print? 

Not 12 no...

There was a pretty good one involving a press boat if you remember rightly? I think a number of people put that in print.

The press boat from how long ago? Fuck me you are reaching if that’s what you are going with.

competitor gets fucked off with press boat getting in the way during racing shocker... did ben use naughty words that they hadn’t heard before? Oh the terror and trauma, are they still in therapy? 

kinda like a top level non-contact sport competitor like say tennis, giving a photog a shot to the head for having a flash go off by accident. 

From the movie, "Play It to the Bone" Woody Harrelson says " a man could build a thousand bridges and suck one cock. He will be know as a cock sucker, not a bridge builder.

urban dictionary

On 1/16/2019 at 3:20 PM, dg_sailingfan said:

Ben Ainslie is least liked Sailor in GB.

Utter nonsense.

2 hours ago, dogwatch said:

Utter nonsense.

I’m pretty sure that would work as an auto reply to most of A4E’s comments. 

• Like 2