Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brian Weslake

Hey Indio, it must be time for a rum bet!

While I'm glad we didn't have a bet on from the start of racing, as we would both be owing the other a substantial number of bottles of Mount Gay, this does seem like an opportune time to lay a wager. What do you say?

After all, ETNZ only need 1 win to seal the deal while Oracle need 4, seems like the odds are in your favour (well aside from the slower boat that is).

At times it seems Oracle is the faster boat but I think they are changing modes well when they need to. The other thing I'm seeing is that Oracle have Ainslie and Slingsby calling tactics vs Ray Davies on his own. Dean Barker needs to show some leadership and get the team thinking like winners, he is a little too quiet at the moment and I think as the skipper the team needs to re-establish their belief. They are still in the box seat as one mistake could cost Oracle.

Deano doesn't have the stones, get real.

The whole ramming concept is flawed. We've seen it on several close passes.

Get real.

While I'm glad we didn't have a bet on from the start of racing, as we would both be owing the other a substantial number of bottles of Mount Gay, this does seem like an opportune time to lay a wager. What do you say?

After all, ETNZ only need 1 win to seal the deal while Oracle need 4, seems like the odds are in your favour (well aside from the slower boat that is).

You whimped out of the bet mate, not me.

Note to self: Make sure you reply to post # 9 here, when ETNZ win tomorrow.

Note to self: Make sure you reply to post # 9 here, when ETNZ win tomorrow.

Note to self: Make sure you remind Indio what a pussy he is, when ETNZ win tomorrow.

Mate, you whimped out like a battered pussy or are you now denying you pm'ed me chickening out of the bet?? But since you've found some bravery pills, I'll take the bet: a bottle of Extra Old Mount Gay rum for each point ETNZ wins AC34 over OTUSA. When ETNZ seals it tomorrow morning, you owe me 4 bottles.

Bet's on.

Yes I called off the bet because I didn't see the point of us each buying the other 8 or 9 bottle of rum.

And no, I'm not taking a bet for races already sailed. I know you cant afford to buy me 4 bottles like you did in 2007, so lets just bet on tomorrows race. yes or no?

Yes I called off the bet because I didn't see the point of us each buying the other 8 or 9 bottle of rum.

And no, I'm not taking a bet for races already sailed. I know you cant afford to buy me 4 bottles like you did in 2007, so lets just bet on tomorrows race. yes or no?

The bet's there: 4 bottles of Extra Old Mount Gay rum that ETNZ wins AC34. Put up or STFU...

And don't worry about what I can or can't afford.. :lol:. Speak for yourself...

Forget it Indio, you are too scared to take an even bet.

Is the bet on or have you chickened out again?

Forget it Indio, you don't have enough faith in your team to take an even, single-bottle bet per race. ETNZ are fucked now, even their strongest advocates have lost confidence in them.

Forget it Indio, you don't have enough faith in your team to take an even, single-bottle bet per race. ETNZ are fucked now, even their strongest advocates have lost confidence in them.

Brian ... it does look like you are the one who chickened out!

About betting.

I had aranged to meet Tornado-Cat for a coffee.

And was not worried about whether I would recognise him amongst the beautiful women at Le Marais bakery on Chestnut St (Marina District).

TC had baquette, cheese and other goodies in a large bag! All for a picnic with Finnfart.

I thought this was quite charming. Apparently there was some kind of arrangement or bet that sparked a picnic overlooking the America's Cup course! With all the hatred and acrimony spewing from these pages, you have to admit having a picnic sounds like a contribution to world peace!

Now here is something else. At one of the 2nd hand bookstores I bought Bill Morgan's History of the Beat Generation (I am a bit interested in this because I once interviewed Allen Ginsberg). But here am half way through Morgan's book and some of the beats are living in the Marina District, then a "rundown" part of San Francisco.

It sure as hell is not now a rundown district. Maybe it has gone through urban renewal - which is typical of waterfront property in most cities. Mr. Surly, with whom I discussed this matter, said the Marina District is often considered to be a bit of "SoCal" in San Francisco. Down on Fillmore St (en route to Marina Green) there is a monstrous (but quite distinguished) looking high school. But security and fencing surrounding US schools is quite noticeable.

If you and your girlfriend need a cheap feed and enjoyable night out, try the "Tacolicious" - across the road from the Horshoe Tavern on Chestnut St. Tacolicious has good food, decent prices, and friendly staff.

About betting.

I had aranged to meet Tornado-Cat for a coffee.

And was not worried about whether I would recognise him amongst the beautiful women at Le Marais bakery on Chestnut St (Marina District).

TC had baquette, cheese and other goodies in a large bag! All for a picnic with Finnfart.

I thought this was quite charming. Apparently there was some kind of arrangement or bet that sparked a picnic overlooking the America's Cup course! With all the hatred and acrimony spewing from these pages, you have to admit having a picnic sounds like a contribution to world peace!

Now here is something else. At one of the 2nd hand bookstores I bought Bill Morgan's History of the Beat Generation (I am a bit interested in this because I once interviewed Allen Ginsberg). But here am half way through Morgan's book and some of the beats are living in the Marina District, then a "rundown" part of San Francisco.

It sure as hell is not now a rundown district. Maybe it has gone through urban renewal - which is typical of waterfront property in most cities. Mr. Surly, with whom I discussed this matter, said the Marina District is often considered to be a bit of "SoCal" in San Francisco. Down on Fillmore St (en route to Marina Green) there is a monstrous (but quite distinguished) looking high school. But security and fencing surrounding US schools is quite noticeable.

If you and your girlfriend need a cheap feed and enjoyable night out, try the "Tacolicious" - across the road from the Horshoe Tavern on Chestnut St. Tacolicious has good food, decent prices, and friendly staff.

TK... there is more to that story. Way back, I accepted a bet for a bottle of Champagne with TC. I bought if TNZ won. He bought if OR won. I was so sure OR would have a speed advantage that I thought it was a good bet.

Since he was leaving town, and based on it being 8-1, I decided to pay up early so we could watch the boats together. He brought baguette to wash down our Chandon.

He was a complete class act... even though we have often disagreed passionately. Primarily about Ernesto, and flexible boats! But we now share a passion for this format and hope it isn't screwed up in Kiwi land in the name of cost cutting.

Anyway, A real pleasure to break out of the bravado and BS of the forum and meet people as people.

Finally, proof he is a gentleman: He said if there was divine intervention, he would send me two bottles of champagne! One for the one we drank, and one for the victory. I laughed, then, but now.... Sheesh.

As I say: I want TNZ to win the first race tomorrow, or OR to win the remaining 3. Nothing between.

Champagne or not ;)

Brian ... it does look like you are the one who chickened out!

TK, I'm happy for you to take over Indio's side of the bet, one bottle of Mt Gay for each remaining race. That's what I offered Indio and he weaseled out by demanding bottles of rum for races that ETNZ had already won.

I should point out that if I had proceeded with the original bet I would now owe him 8 bottles and he would owe me 8 bottles, a fairly pointless situation. I like Mt Gay but I don't need pickling in it.