Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Westie82

Americas Cup, Race 16 and 17

Well, Race 16 and 17 coming up. Probably time to get the thread up.

Forecast - can't seem to find any sort of decent forecast but looks stronger then it has been.

I hate to say it - and especially because of Spithill, but i am not overly confident here.

iwindsurf:

Meteorologist Forecast

San Francisco forecast valid for Mon, Sep 23 2013

Issued Sun, Sep 22 19:00:00 by meteorologist Mike Godsey - Next scheduled update: 7:30 AM
Special updates issued as needed.

Late winds focused west of Treasure Island in the upper teens to maybe 20.

Monday the North Pacific High pushes an atypical ridge into far Northern California which: 1. Creates faint NE winds in the AM. 2. weakens and delays the NW ocean winds. 3. keeps the SFO-SAC pressure gradient very weak EAST of Treasure Island. The North Pacific High's surface NW winds are a bit weaker and focused SOUTH of Santa Cruz. So both piston banks of the Bay Area wind engine are sputtering and with no marine layer to keep the wind attached to the surface the winds may be WEAK, LATE and unreliable.

Sherman Island: Dawn sub teens. Morning sub to low teens. Mid day low teens. Late afternoon GUSTY mid teens.

Coast: Waddell LATE upper teens. Natural Bridges LATE upper teens. Bodega LATE low teens.

Peninsula: LATE: Coyote and 3rd Ave light near shore to upper teens to maybe near 20 in the channel. Candlestick UP AND DOWN upper teens. Palo Alto mid teens.

Central Bay: Crissy LATE weak inside Anita Rock building to upper teens to 20 mid bay . Treasure Island upper teens to maybe 20.

East and North Bay: Berkeley mid teens. Pt. Isabel low teens. Alameda low teens. Larkspur low teens

For a aucklander.. What does the iwindsurf translate to for the race tomorrow? It's so hard to read...

For a aucklander.. What does the iwindsurf translate to for the race tomorrow? It's so hard to read...

chrissy/Anita Rock are quite close to the AC site

the 1km WRAMS model posted by Sean is the iwindsurf/sailflow proprietary version of the WRF mesoscale model.

the wrf model (in different flavors) is used by research universities and national meteorological organizations all around the world for local and regional forecasting.

the iwindsurf forecast that i posted is a meteorologist (i.e. human) forecast based on that model, other models, noaa forecasts and (importantly) the iwindsurf sensor network.

the human forecast will be updated at 7:30 am local time, and 11:30 local time.

the model is run 4 times a day

Super light today, have a prozac nearby. Will ETNZgybe away again. FFS.

We can only hope!! Who's the cute chick in your avatar? Someone from the Hobbit?

Super light today, have a prozac nearby. Will ETNZgybe away again. FFS.

We can only hope!! Who's the cute chick in your avatar? Someone from the Hobbit?

Daenerys Targaryen

What happened to the sctuttlebut-rumor of a court challenge on the 2 race penalty?

Why would they do it if they don't need it ?

Let's wait until it matters, if OTUSA gets to 7.

The protocol does not recognize appeals to higher courts though.

I hope that ETNZ do not gybe away, but I don't see them being able to pass OTUSA downwind, even if they do catch up. Besides, if they did catch up, will they be able to luff OTUSA? What are ETNZ's options in this scenario of catching up their opponents downwind?

These Weather Forecasts ain't always that reliable. Any wind between 10-15 knots I think is favouring the Americans at this Point. ETNZ must hope for a wind below 10 knots to win.

Low winds also favor OR in that ETNZ has port entry both times and if they happen to win both starts it is very difficult to complete the course within the prescribed time limit. On to the next day and advantage OR.

Wind speed doesn't matter anymore. Oracle now has clear speed advantage in any wind that the boats are capable of finishing within the time limit. I even suspect the advantage has become so great that the starts are no longer crucial, and OTUSA is capable of sailing out from under TNZ. ENZ is now depending on Jimmy perpretrating some atrocity - something we can never discount. I predict another two bullets today.

What happened to the sctuttlebut-rumor of a court challenge on the 2 race penalty?

If OTUSA wins 2 today they will go to Court.

Oracle's only hope of overturning the jury is if they take their case to a Sharia court and complain the New Zealanders sheep haven't been wearing veils.

assuming the racing happens..., if it isn't over today, i will be extremely surprised.

even if Oracle is a teeny bit faster, there is still too big an element of luck for their recent streak to continue.

TNZ will win one today.

assuming the racing happens..., if it isn't over today, i will be extremely surprised.

even if Oracle is a teeny bit faster, there is still too big an element of luck for their recent streak to continue.

TNZ will win one today.

I didn't see a whole lot of luck in the game yesterday.

These Weather Forecasts ain't always that reliable. Any wind between 10-15 knots I think is favouring the Americans at this Point. ETNZ must hope for a wind below 10 knots to win.

Low winds also favor OR in that ETNZ has port entry both times and if they happen to win both starts it is very difficult to complete the course within the prescribed time limit. On to the next day and advantage OR.

If a race get abandoned it will be re-run with the same boat having the port entry until that race is completed. So ETNZ will have port entry in the next to races that are finished - unless they win the first one of course :)

Do you sail?

"They both used to playing the wind more which you usually do in Olympic Sailing Fleet Racing"

Yep, you only play the wind when in the Olympics. Save that special talent for that specific situation.

Duh.

Good luck to both teams (well, maybe a little more to OTUSA). I will be sitting here watching and hyperventilating. No margin for error for #17, makes every tack, every jibe, a nail biting experience. I LOVE THIS FORMAT!!!!!

Hats off to LE for a visionary step in sailboat racing (wether it continues in the Cup or not, this needs to not die) Hoats off to both teams for a sailing spectacle unlike any other in my 50 years!

WL

^ I think another way to say it is ... Dinghy sailors have a better ability to see the changes in wind pattern and make good quick decisions. These monsters sail more akin to skiffs and dinghys in the lighter wind than heavy keel boats. Ray are Dean are both special sailors but Ben and Slings have that more recent seat of the pants and wind observation/decision making from dinghy fleets. just a thought but it sure seemed true yesterday. it might also be what JK had lost this after many years out of the small boats.

Yanks win first, Kiwis pull their card.

Kiwis win first.., small, productive and noble nations around the world celebrate David taking down Goliath.

Today is not the day for ETNZ to pull their card. They have both port entries today....tomorrow they will have 2 stbd tack entries, but if they delay the 2nd race tomorrow, they would get port entry the next day.

If a race get abandoned it will be re-run with the same boat having the port entry until that race is completed. So ETNZ will have port entry in the next to races that are finished - unless they win the first one of course :)

Really? That isn't how it was done last time the race was abandoned due to 40 min time limit Unless I screwed up my following?

If OTUSA wins 2 today they will go to Court.

Only if they lose on the water after 7.

Methinks you're right.

But can we finish the race at 10 knots under 40 minutes?

Methinks you're right.

But can we finish the race at 10 knots under 40 minutes?

No, that was my point. Advantage OR.

From AC Twitter Feed

America's Cup ‏@americascup 13m

#raceday 13 of the America's Cup Finals. Forecast: sunny, slow but steady wind build. 8-10 knots for 1st race and 10-14 knots for 2nd.

That does not sound all that good for the 1st Race.

But will the direction be good for racing at 1pm?

Atm wind is from the East (according to SailFlows obesrvations) which is in line with the WRAMS prediciton. That same forecast is giving northerly winds for 1pm. The wind will be from the west at 2pm.

Could we be in for another one race day?

Who would have thought, ten days ago, that we would be discussing Races 16 and races 17?

A couple of thoughts:

1. OR is clearly the better team at this point in the regatta. Not only have they won the last four races, but the last six out of the eight. They seem to have surpassed the Kiwis in boat speed, boat handling, and tactics.

2. That being said, both boats are so even, ETNZ still has to be favored take the cup. And it will be a well-earned victory, that I hope, not a single Yank will begrudge.

3. Currently we stand at 8 races to 7. Is this the best AC ever, or what!

4. The Final Solution: OR wins both races today, then loses the first race tomorrow. Oracle loses the regatta, even though they were first to win nine races. It's a win/win for both teams. The Kiwi's get the cup. The Oracle sailors go home believing they really won the Americas Cup. But most importantly, the event will be recorded as one of history's greatest cautionary tales of cheating and paying the piper.

Watched four days in October last night.... getting ready

Stolen from r/sailing

best 30 for 30 ever. i get so pumped up every time i watch it.

Race day update from Peter Rusch at the AC Media Center:

Race day 13 of the America's Cup Finals

Sunny, with a slow but steady wind build. Lighter and later than yesterday. 8-10 knots for race one and 10-14 knots for second race (if necessary). At least one race looks good today. Two races may be difficult.

Race 16 - 1:15pm - Emirates Team New Zealand vs. ORACLE TEAM USA (+1.5 flood - 24.5 knot wind limit)
Race 17 - 2:15pm - Emirates Team New Zealand vs. ORACLE TEAM USA (+0.8 flood - 23.8 knot wind limit)

Racing is live on NBC Sports Network with the broadcast beginning at 1:00pm.

There will be a replay on YouTube after the broadcast.

Racing is live on YouTube internationally (subject to territorial restrictions - USA, FRA, NZL, etc).

There will be a post-race press conference at approximately 3:10pm

** Note: Racing will continue on Tuesday if necessary.

Who would have thought, ten days ago, that we would be discussing Races 16 and races 17?

A couple of thoughts:

1. OR is clearly the better team at this point in the regatta. Not only have they won the last four races, but the last six out of the eight. They seem to have surpassed the Kiwis in boat speed, boat handling, and tactics.

2. That being said, both boats are so even, ETNZ still has to be favored take the cup. And it will be a well-earned victory, that I hope, not a single Yank will begrudge.

3. Currently we stand at 8 races to 7. Is this the best AC ever, or what!

4. The Final Solution: OR wins both races today, then loses the first race tomorrow. Oracle loses the regatta, even though they were first to win nine races. It's a win/win for both teams. The Kiwi's get the cup. The Oracle sailors go home believing they really won the Americas Cup. But most importantly, the event will be recorded as one of history's greatest cautionary tales of cheating and paying the piper.

+1

Also,

once again NO Grant Dalton onboard ETNZ today

ORACLE TEAM USA Crew List

Skipper: Jimmy Spithill (9), Tactician: Ben Ainslie (12), Strategist: Tom Slingsby (10), Wing trimmer: Kyle Langford (8), Jib trimmer: Joe Newton (5), Off-side trimmer: Rome Kirby (4), Grinders: Shannon Falcone (1), Joe Spooner (2), Jono MacBeth (3), Gillo Nobili (6), Simeon Tienpont (7)

Emirates Team New Zealand Crew List

Skipper/helmsman: Dean Barker (14), Tactician: Ray Davies (10), Wing Trimmer: Glenn Ashby (3), Trimmer: James Dagg (9), Bow: Adam Beashel (2), Pit: Jeremy Lomas (8), Pedestal 1: Chris Ward (7), Pedestal 2: Rob Waddell (11), Pedestal 3: Winston MacFarlane (4), Pedestal 4: Chris McAsey (5), Float/Grinder: Derek Saward (12)

Can we find who the girl was on the boat yesterday and is she still aboard today? :P

That was a defining moment in this regatta. Really told the tale of the situation.

Felt sorry for the guy whomever he is.

lighter conditions are forecast, yet still strong enough to conduct racing. But if today was patchy, tomorrow could be worse, adding pressure to both teams who have no margin for error.

from: http://www.americascup.com/en/news/3/news/18372/oracle-team-usa-extends-34th-americas-cup-with-four-consecutive-wins

Yes ... but the 40 min time limit ????

What happens if TNZ leads over the line at 41 minutes?

Good luck to both teams (well, maybe a little more to OTUSA). I will be sitting here watching and hyperventilating. No margin for error for #17, makes every tack, every jibe, a nail biting experience. I LOVE THIS FORMAT!!!!!

Hats off to LE for a visionary step in sailboat racing (wether it continues in the Cup or not, this needs to not die) Hoats off to both teams for a sailing spectacle unlike any other in my 50 years!

WL

+100

Good observation!

If this happens the "supplementary volume" to be slid into the pocket provided in "Sailing On the Edge" (the big new book by Kimball, the Fish, Ivor Wilkins etc) will be more than a few pages.

If your scenario (which I find quite attractive) plays out, this regatta will go alongside earlier controversies (c.f. the Earl of Dunraven).

Good observation!

If this happens the "supplementary volume" to be slid into the pocket provided in "Sailing On the Edge" (the big new book by Kimball, the Fish, Ivor Wilkins etc) will be more than a few pages.

If your scenario (which I find quite attractive) plays out, this regatta will go alongside earlier controversies (c.f. the Earl of Dunraven).

And then end up in court!

I sure hope that ETNZ will try something different today if they find themselves behind at the first mark yet again. Either a gybing duel, or maybe even a head fake where they have the guys run across the trampoline and fake OR into gybing, then continue on their way for a split.

lighter conditions are forecast, yet still strong enough to conduct racing. But if today was patchy, tomorrow could be worse, adding pressure to both teams who have no margin for error.

from: http://www.americascup.com/en/news/3/news/18372/oracle-team-usa-extends-34th-americas-cup-with-four-consecutive-wins

Yes ... but the 40 min time limit ????

What happens if TNZ leads over the line at 41 minutes?

the race would have been called off 1 minute prior to that happening.

From AC Twitter Feed

America's Cup ‏@americascup 13m

#raceday 13 of the America's Cup Finals. Forecast: sunny, slow but steady wind build. 8-10 knots for 1st race and 10-14 knots for 2nd.

That does not sound all that good for the 1st Race.

But will the direction be good for racing at 1pm?

Atm wind is from the East (according to SailFlows obesrvations) which is in line with the WRAMS prediciton. That same forecast is giving northerly winds for 1pm. The wind will be from the west at 2pm.

Could we be in for another one race day?

We'll see. If the wind fills in from the right direction and good strength we'll have 2 Races; If not we'll have one Race only and if that's the case I'm predicting it'll be after 2pm PT.
its 10:30 - and still north easterly.

Race 1 may be iffy

Good observation!

This is not the best solution. This leads to a giant asterisk for both teams (obviously, I'm pushing the whole asterisk theam). I don't think that benefits anyone or the cup itself. Best solution is either 1) TNZ wins the first race today, or 2) OR wins all the remaining races (my preference).

And there is this....

1030 media briefing, paraphrasing Iain Murray:

Easterly wind. Lightish day, flood tide. "Good water skiing weather." Late building breeze, but whether we get two races, one or none -- we'll see. 9 to 14 knots, maybe more later.

It was already warming up in the central valley when I came down from Tahoe this morning, and it was clear and sunny when I came in over the bay bridge, so I would tend to think that the front has passed and the normal system is starting to set up again, which should result in stronger and more reliable breezes.

ETNZ looks like deer-in-the headlights yesterday after the two losses. I think OR is starting to get into their heads; 1-the race win that got called for the time limit 2-OR have been putting it on them since that race.

ETNZ is still in the drivers seat, and are a hell of a team and boat, but OR's improvement may have them talking to themselves. Early last week I would have never thought that things could have gone this far. Now every race is edge of the seat and biting nails. Yesterday at the commercial break OR was 400 some-odd meters ahead, come back and ETNZ is chewing at their transom. Same in race 2. ETNZ still gets upwind faster, but OR is close enough in speed now to hold them off.

Hold onto your hats.

BREAKING

There is apparently a CHANGE in the Rules for the 34th America's Cup.

ACEA CEO Stephen Barclay is reporting on it's Twitter Account that the Race Committee has decided to "Not Start a Race" if the Wind Speed is below 10 knots because of the 40-Minute Time Limit

stephen barclay ‏@stephenjbarclay 1h

we are in for a light day at #AmericasCup maybe 12knts at 13:15 PDT races will not start in less than 10knts due to time limit

Nothing on the board : http://noticeboard.americascup.com/regatta-notices/

But he knows what he's talking about!

That's big news though: light wind building up, we do not start under 10knts... (sure if it's 10knts for 1h they aren't gonna finish but 8 going up 14knts...)

Do both parties have to agree with that?

What happens if they cant get 2 races in today? 3 Tomorrow? extend to Wed? First to 8 points?

there will only ever be 2 races per day MAX.....and the regatta can go on with 2 or fewer races per day until someone reaches 9 points.....

there will never be a first to 8 points.....

if the next 5 days are cancelled due to weather...they could be racing on the weekend.

the only thing set in stone is FIRST to 9 POINTS....

BREAKING

ACEA CEO Stephen Barclay is reporting on it's Twitter Account that the Race Committee has decided to "Not Start a Race" if the Wind Speed is below 10 knots because of the 40-Minute Time Limit

stephen barclay @stephenjbarclay 1h

we are in for a light day at #AmericasCup maybe 12knts at 13:15 PDT races will not start in less than 10knts due to time limit

I wondered about this myself. Although it makes some sense, was this because of the teams agreeing? I still don't think the course could be completed in 12 knots.

Looking pretty grim at the moment. At least it's trying to swing around, was due east not long ago.

From Sailflow

post-1017-0-42063500-1379959840_thumb.jpg

What happens if they cant get 2 races in today? 3 Tomorrow? extend to Wed? First to 8 points?

there will only ever be 2 races per day MAX.....and the regatta can go on with 2 or fewer races per day until someone reaches 9 points.....

if the next 5 days are cancelled due to weather...they could be racing on the weekend.

thanks. that's what i figured but hadn't read thru SI's to see it myself.

BREAKING

Wow! Finally, they do something sensible.

Extending the time limit would be better.

But this is better than repeating the injustice of the other day.

Tomorrow!

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11128988

BREAKING

Wow! Finally, they do something sensible.

Extending the time limit would be better.

But this is better than repeating the injustice of the other day.

Tomorrow!

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11128988

Extending the time limit won't happen due to TV scheduling. [sigh]

ETNZ brings code zero, ORUSA no spirit, light wind downhill run, big pass by ETNZ....

Game over.

I'm allowed to dream.

Aren’t more AC viewers finding these whiners complaining about the time limits more that annoying? One guy asks what happens if they finish in 41 minutes? What a stupid question. They don’t finish. The race is abandoned. Kind of like when the last shot in a basketball takes place one-tenth of a second after the buzzer, or a play in football that starts after the buzzer… It doesn’t count.

Time limits in sailing are not unheard of or even unusual. In fact, it is the norm. Even the lowly Wednesday night beer can race around here has a time limit. I’ve never heard of them changing that rule because a boat almost finished in time.

The 40 minute rule was put in the current AC rules primarily for TV. Period. LE didn’t sneak it in so he could cheat. All the competitors know the rule and the reason for it. Please stop with the conspiracy theories.

This racing has been incredible to watch. Enjoy it. I certainly have.

By the way, a big thanks LE… He has invested a considerable amount of his own time and money into this and put on the most incredible AC I have seen.

Actually, they can't race this weekend because of the St. Francis YC's Big Boat Series. In fact, they can't race Thursday or Friday either. ACEA says if the Cup isn't wrapped up by Wednesday, they'll take a four-day lay day.

Actually, they can't race this weekend because of the St. Francis YC's Big Boat Series. In fact, they can't race Thursday or Friday either. ACEA says if the Cup isn't wrapped up by Wednesday, they'll take a four-day lay day.

you are correct....

.I was merely trying to explain that although the "official" America's cup website schedule only goes to wednesday..that indeed the regatta will continue until a winner is declared...a 9 point winner....

I sure hope that ETNZ will try something different today if they find themselves behind at the first mark yet again. Either a gybing duel, or maybe even a head fake where they have the guys run across the trampoline and fake OR into gybing, then continue on their way for a split.

ENTZ was awful downwind yesterday. OR had better gybes. Upwind ENTZ was fine.

Then there were the tactics. In the first race, ETNZ breathing down OR's neck. Maybe even to get the hook - they were pointing much lower. Could have really put the pressure on OR but they gybed away?

Oh little did we know the gybe away would become common theme in that days races,

They gybed away 2 more times!!!!!!! when on OR's ass!!!!

FFS!!!!!

Stop gybing away!!!

BREAKING

Based on what authority???

The protocol says 3-23 knots.

I hope they have some sense to not start a race when you can't finish. The fact that such a construct exists is not by any one reason, but because of different decisions made at different times for different reasons. It created a dead end that no one really realized until it happened in a race.

And when it happened it royally sucked.

It would be great to see some sense come to at least that clearly identified issue with the race rules. And I think both teams would agree. KR said on Saturday that *both* teams were adamant that the races only start in stable conditions rather than fluky ones. And as KR said, that means they both think they can beat the other boat. I love that.

from http://www.yachtingworld.com/blogs/matthew-sheahan/535315/americas-cup-the-longest-ever

Today breaks all records in the 162 year old America's Cup as the longest Cup match in history. Today is the 17th day, the previous longest was in Auckland in 2003 when the Cup, which was then a best of nine series, ran for 16 days.

Interestingly, this series has only lost two full days of racing so far (compared to 10 in one stretch in 2003) and when you look at the top 10 closest finishes in the history of the Cup, this event has no less than four, a further emphasis of just how extraordinary and tight this match has become.

But as a friend who has seen plenty of Cup action mentioned to me on the way in this morning, for all the new gloss of the new Cup world, it is still underpinned by the old Cup world.

In the new world of strict formats and tight deadlines for TV and audiences, the last available day of the regatta would be the end, whatever the score. But the ways of the world still reign thank heavens and the match will only be concluded when the appropriate number of races have been won. In this case nine.

So what are the chances of racing today?

The forecast breeze is worryingly light and at the moment, blowing from the wrong direction, the east. According to Iain Murray there are conflicting forecasts but his best guess was 9 to 10 knots to start with building to 14knots and possibly 18 knots by the end of the 2nd race if there is one.

contd

Arent more AC viewers finding these whiners complaining about the time limits more that annoying? One guy asks what happens if they finish in 41 minutes? What a stupid question. They dont finish. The race is abandoned. Kind of like when the last shot in a basketball takes place one-tenth of a second after the buzzer, or a play in football that starts after the buzzer It doesnt count.

Time limits in sailing are not unheard of or even unusual. In fact, it is the norm. Even the lowly Wednesday night beer can race around here has a time limit. Ive never heard of them changing that rule because a boat almost finished in time.

The 40 minute rule was put in the current AC rules primarily for TV. Period. LE didnt sneak it in so he could cheat. All the competitors know the rule and the reason for it. Please stop with the conspiracy theories.

This racing has been incredible to watch. Enjoy it. I certainly have.

By the way, a big thanks LE He has invested a considerable amount of his own time and money into this and put on the most incredible AC I have seen.

Agreed , but your logic will not be understood by those here with blinders on .

It was already warming up in the central valley when I came down from Tahoe this morning, and it was clear and sunny when I came in over the bay bridge, so I would tend to think that the front has passed and the normal system is starting to set up again, which should result in stronger and more reliable breezes.

except its still easterly...

BREAKING

Based on what authority??? Common sense.

the wind is mostly westerly now, which is ahead of forecast...

maybe the windspeed will build ahead of forecast too

after oracle wins race 1 today, i hope NZL plays the card so Larry has time to go to court to correct that outrageous, BS penalty

Just rewatched Race 14 on VE and they needed 33 Minutes 47 Seconds to be precise to complete the Race. Less than 7 Minutes before Cut-Off Time. They doing the right thing today if they say that they'll not start a Race if the Wind is below 10 knots.

1) thanks for reporting

2) the point is that with the wind limits, the RC is not supposed to have any decision to take, just follow the rules. There shouldn't be any way to say that the RC is going OR way by not racing in light wind, everything was written on paper and agreed before the start of the regatta

so: more than 3knts, less than 20 => we start

Just rewatched Race 14 on VE and they needed 33 Minutes 47 Seconds to be precise to complete the Race. Less than 7 Minutes before Cut-Off Time. They doing the right thing today if they say that they'll not start a Race if the Wind is below 10 knots.

1) thanks for reporting

2) the point is that with the wind limits, the RC is not supposed to have any decision to take, just follow the rules. There shouldn't be any way to say that the RC is going OR way by not racing in light wind, everything was written on paper and agreed before the start of the regatta

so: more than 3knts, less than 20 => we start

This.

I know its not common sense not to start a race below 10 knots, but those arent the rules. Can we please stop changing the rules.