• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WCW

What is the new Velocitek they are teasing?

JBSF,

1) The ProStart speed is Speed Over Ground and this factors in current (helping and hurting). If you are using target boatspeeds, SOG will be an OK metric in non-tidal waters. However a paddlewheel measuring speed through the water is a better tool for target boatspeeds.

2) A magnetic compass like the Shift is a better tool to track wind shifts than a GPS based device like the ProStart. In non-tidal waters you can track shifts using Course Over Ground, but COG also factors in leeway. If your angle of heel increases and your leeway increases, COG based shift tracking will display this as a header.

3) No, the ProStart does not try to calculate DW VMG. We used to have a function like that in the SC-1 but we eliminated it for the ProStart. Here's why.

4) The ProStart wind shift indicator and COG are more useful when used with a magnetic compass like the Shift to track changes in current.

5) Not yet.

The Shift pulls its weight. And the ProStart and Shift make a great combo. If you go with the ProStart, adding a Shift is completely worthwhile.

Best,

Charles

JBSF,

1) The ProStart speed is Speed Over Ground and this factors in current (helping and hurting). If you are using target boatspeeds, SOG will be an OK metric in non-tidal waters. However a paddlewheel measuring speed through the water is a better tool for target boatspeeds.

2) A magnetic compass like the Shift is a better tool to track wind shifts than a GPS based device like the ProStart. In non-tidal waters you can track shifts using Course Over Ground, but COG also factors in leeway. If your angle of heel increases and your leeway increases, COG based shift tracking will display this as a header.

3) No, the ProStart does not try to calculate DW VMG. We used to have a function like that in the SC-1 but we eliminated it for the ProStart. Here's why.

4) The ProStart wind shift indicator and COG are more useful when used with a magnetic compass like the Shift to track changes in current.

5) Not yet.

The Shift pulls its weight. And the ProStart and Shift make a great combo. If you go with the ProStart, adding a Shift is completely worthwhile.

Best,

Charles

Charles, thank you! That all makes sense, especially the VMG part. I was thinking about using it for training, but I have a Handheld garmin that has VMG and that could potentially be used for that. I totally get why you wouldn't use it in racing. I had never considered the momentum aspect before.

Most of the class seems to have gone to the Prostart and are fairing over the older paddlewheel unit in the hull. I'll have to check around to see if anyone is using the Prostart/shift combo.

Last question..... I know on many handheld GPS units I've used in the past, the compass and speed lagged considerably. Especially the compass. On the Prostart (2 hz refresh rate, right), how would you compare the heading and speed display relative to a magnetic compass and a paddle wheel type unit.

Thanks!

JBSF,

On the ProStart, the display refresh rate is 2 Hz. The GPS is a 4 Hz position update rate.

On the Shift, the display refresh rate is 4 Hz. The solid-state sensors (3-axis magnetometer, 3-axis gyro, and 3-axis accelerometer) are taking measurements in real time. Because the Shift is electronically gimbaled by a gyro and accelerometer, it is able to isolate heading and ignore pitch, roll, and other inertial effects. The Shift has no dampening. As a result you won't notice the delay in your heading associated with other stand alone compasses.

Compared to the Shift, the ProStart heading may lag a little. However, the ProStart should be on par (or very close to it) with other compasses and paddlewheel boatspeed units which are usually dampened.

JBSF,

On the ProStart, the display refresh rate is 2 Hz. The GPS is a 4 Hz position update rate.

On the Shift, the display refresh rate is 4 Hz. The solid-state sensors (3-axis magnetometer, 3-axis gyro, and 3-axis accelerometer) are taking measurements in real time. Because the Shift is electronically gimbaled by a gyro and accelerometer, it is able to isolate heading and ignore pitch, roll, and other inertial effects. The Shift has no dampening. As a result you won't notice the delay in your heading associated with other stand alone compasses.

Compared to the Shift, the ProStart heading may lag a little. However, the ProStart should be on par (or very close to it) with other compasses and paddlewheel boatspeed units which are usually dampened.

Excellent, thank you. I just need to go down to the boat and try to figure out what mast brackets I need now and if there is room for both. PM is headed your way. Thanks for you help.

I sold my Race Master to a buddy and bought a Shift. I really like it, and the combo of the two. It took a bit of work to get the brackets mounted to an intermediate nylon rectangle, which was then attached to my carbon mast mount that many of us have in the Viper 640 class.

I sold my Race Master to a buddy and bought a Shift. I really like it, and the combo of the two. It took a bit of work to get the brackets mounted to an intermediate nylon rectangle, which was then attached to my carbon mast mount that many of us have in the Viper 640 class.

Do you have a pic of that mount setup by any chance?

I'll try to run down and take a few photos today. I also did a sketch for a different mast mount design that I've sent to the Viper sailor who makes these mast mounts. I'll see if I can post that too.

BTW, if you buy both for a mounting setup like I describe, you might also want the bulkhead standoffs, or at least some extra nylon spacers from your local hardware store for the back of the Shift mount.

Cheers,

jason

I'll try to run down and take a few photos today. I also did a sketch for a different mast mount design that I've sent to the Viper sailor who makes these mast mounts. I'll see if I can post that too.

BTW, if you buy both for a mounting setup like I describe, you might also want the bulkhead standoffs, or at least some extra nylon spacers from your local hardware store for the back of the Shift mount.

Cheers,

jason

Thanks, I would definitely be interested in seeing those.

As for the shift, what are the extra spacers for?

Here is my current setup:

post-12543-0-17123300-1402286841_thumb.jpg

post-12543-0-25361300-1402286842_thumb.jpg

post-12543-0-46079700-1402286843_thumb.jpg

Here is my quick sketch of a custom mast mount that would simplify things:

post-12543-0-92560800-1402286839_thumb.jpg

Just thought I'd add a post for another possible DIY bracket for mounting both the Shift and Prostart together on a solid round mast. In case anyone else is wondering about using the TackTick strap bracket for the Shift, the mount holes do not already line up. You can put a plexiglass rectangle on the TackTick bracket and then attach the Shift bracket to the plexiglass (using the standoffs.) However, the Shift bracket screws just barely clear the outside edges of the Tacktick bracket so there's not enough room to fit locknuts behind the plexiglass. Fortunately, the screws had enough grip that I was able to tighten the Shift bracket and simply put a small dab of thickened epoxy on the end of each one to hold them in place :rolleyes: (A better solution might be to use a thicker piece of plexiglass than I did and tap these holes / use thread locker, but I was too lazy.) Finally, two strips of plexiglass cut and bolted in place hold the two Tacktick brackets together and keep the Shift and ProStart in the same plane. Mounting to the mast uses two velcro straps and works just the same as the single Prostart/Tacktick bracket.

post-91573-0-77257400-1406468950_thumb.jpg

post-91573-0-68305600-1406468957_thumb.jpg

post-91573-0-15589200-1406468961_thumb.jpg

post-91573-0-80826800-1406468965_thumb.jpg

Here is my quick sketch of a custom mast mount that would simplify things:

attachicon.gifIMG_0114.jpg

I have made more complicated mounts than that out of pvc pipe, just cut the pvc to length, cut down the middle heat with heat gun, put around mast, hold to shape, heat overhanging bits and bend to make tabs that are a bit recessed from the mast then when you use bungy loops to connect the front panel, it tightens into place.