toddster

The Zombie Fleet

EEK!  11,500 HP.  Fuel capacity 9,800 gallons.  Five figures to fuel up for the weekend isn't even an exaggeration... :blink:

Oh, but they're only asking four million for it.  Sure.  

I wonder if it has "maneuvering engines" or if it has to be towed in and out.  

16 minutes ago, longy said:

Isn't that the old gentry eagle?

Looks like it still is - pretty sure that's the name on the transom.

That was built for a single purpose - to get the old Liner Blue Ribbon.

You could probably repower that thing with something a LOT more reasonable, still go pretty fast and take a digit off the fuel bill.

All for the cost of 2 or 3 weeks running as it is.

3 hours ago, toddster said:

EEK!  11,500 HP.  Fuel capacity 9,800 gallons.  Five figures to fuel up for the weekend isn't even an exaggeration... :blink:

Oh, but they're only asking four million for it.  Sure.  

Running the two big MTU diesels would be bad enough, then you light the candle on the 4,500 hp gas turbine. That's gonna hurt. 

Specs 

ENGINES
Twin MTU V396 TB94s
sequentially turbocharged marine
diesels, 3,480 horsepower each.

Single 4,500 horsepower Textron
Lycoming Marine Turbine, coupled
to an Arneson surface drive with 35"
five bladed cleaver. (The Arneson
can be lifted from the water when
not in use.)

GEARBOXES
ZF BU7755s. 1.87 reduction

DRIVES
KaMeWa 63s water jet propulsion
system incorporating steering and
reversing gear

9 hours ago, toddster said:

Jet boats maneuver just fine. They're weird and you turn the wheel the wrong way when backing but should be as controllable as anything that size with twin inboards.

17 hours ago, unShirley said:

Ventura Harbor Zombie #2:

I have lived in Ventura for 30 years.  I do not remember a time when this boat wasn't at this location on the hard.

IMG_0161.JPG

That's a good looking boat. A shame to see it sitting there rotting away.

Way way more practical than the Gentry Eagle, too.

[edit to add] Gentry Eagle's record is 62 hours TransAtlantic.... I had to look it up.

FB- Doug

On 1/7/2019 at 2:50 AM, MauiPunter said:

This one makes me weep.

I present to you, Wild Cat (ex-Jackknife), a Ron Holland design circa 1977 ish.

Image may contain: outdoor

Image may contain: plant and outdoor

Image may contain: text

Image may contain: ocean, boat, text, water and outdoor

My mate raced  Imp across the Atlantic with George Radley, they're on about bringing her back to Ireland soon. Hoping to haul out in his yard next winter so might have an interesting neighbour! 

2 hours ago, Zora said:

image.png.b65dfcd629cf66090cf65f7f6459a552.pngimage.thumb.png.3ef2afa1627eb8a642a67cf85806688c.png

Looks like the stern of that boat was altered & lengthened at some point.

8 hours ago, Contumacious Tom said:

Jet boats maneuver just fine. They're weird and you turn the wheel the wrong way when backing but should be as controllable as anything that size with twin inboards.

I was thinking more like, if you’ve 11,500 HP, how do you throttle it back to just get out of the slip?  

18 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

How much to gas it up? 5 figures for sure and it would need that every weekend.

I was chatting with the border patrol here recently, as I was filling up at the gas float.   He said their outboard (s) powered rib burned 120 GPH puttering about, and a whole lot more at full out.

Wow...

And then monsters like above must make this pale in comparison.

Sure makes me appreciate my 115 Yamaha at less than 10 GPH

The guy that owned the local boatyard had a story about an offer he got from a client.

The guy had a 62' Sea Ray - probably a pint size version of the Gentry boat.

He offered it to Chris for a dime on the dollar just to get rid of it (this was long before used boats got cheap).

Chris was going to take him up on it until he discovered it burned 37 gallons an hour - PER SIDE.

Thing would take a grand in fuel to run over to Nanaimo for lunch.

• Like 2

Back in the 90's, I got invited along on a lot of weekend cruises, because people needed help paying for fuel for their own boats.  And that was when diesel was fifty cents.  

Sails started looking pretty good...

I was struck by an article about a very big sailing yacht where all deliveries were done under power because the sails were too valuable to waste. 

I am soooo glad for sail power after reading this!

Offered for consideration on the Zombie Classic Boats FB group, the United States

51983575_10217174659612189_1860018656495

One commenter said it costs $60k/month for her to sit there, and if a person on the internet said it, it must be true.

A fine zombie.  She's been sucking up docking fees and dreams since 1969 without doing a lick of work.  

It was supposed to be turned into a mall/disco and that never happened.

The Mary is the only one of those dreams that ever worked isn't it?

It certainly did for a while. I went to a party there (many) years ago - good fun!

Still at Long Beach?

2 hours ago, toddster said:

A fine zombie.  She's been sucking up docking fees and dreams since 1969 without doing a lick of work.  

But who is paying and why?

Check the Wiki for the long sad story.  Originally, the Navy, so it was just, you know, play money.  But then a long series of hapless dreamers and schemers.  A ship for 17 years, then a zombie for 50.  The zombie phase probably cost more money than building her in the first place.  Just a guess - perhaps her ludicrous speed (with 1940’s technology) makes her ludicrously expensive to run.

6 hours ago, toddster said:

Check the Wiki for the long sad story.  Originally, the Navy, so it was just, you know, play money.  But then a long series of hapless dreamers and schemers.  A ship for 17 years, then a zombie for 50.  The zombie phase probably cost more money than building her in the first place.  Just a guess - perhaps her ludicrous speed (with 1940’s technology) makes her ludicrously expensive to run.

One of the FB posts had her backing at 30 knots.

What Captain Ron could do!

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 7:00 AM, MauiPunter said:

Where is the before image?

First pic is after 3 moths of work

11377455.jpg

14930941.jpg

• Like 2

On 2/8/2019 at 11:15 PM, toddster said:

Yep, zackly. She was never profitable without subsidy, and the US Gov't thought it was a good idea to have her on hand in case they needed to move massive numbers of troops, quickly. I'm sure her capabilities in that are gave Warsaw Pact strategists all kinds of headaches.

A side note- ship propulsion technology has not changed much since the 1940s. A few incremental improvements in metallurgy has made huge Diesels the power plant of choice for commercial (ie not as much emphasis on speed) but for really high power densities, turbines & reduction gears are the thing.

Beautiful ship. A shame she's rusting/rotting away; but what kind of productive enterprise can be made of her?

FB- Doug

On 1/30/2019 at 7:06 AM, MisterMoon said:

Running the two big MTU diesels would be bad enough, then you light the candle on the 4,500 hp gas turbine. That's gonna hurt. 

Specs 

ENGINES
Twin MTU V396 TB94s
sequentially turbocharged marine
diesels, 3,480 horsepower each.

Single 4,500 horsepower Textron
Lycoming Marine Turbine, coupled
to an Arneson surface drive with 35"
five bladed cleaver. (The Arneson
can be lifted from the water when
not in use.)

GEARBOXES
ZF BU7755s. 1.87 reduction

DRIVES
KaMeWa 63s water jet propulsion
system incorporating steering and
reversing gear

I remember there use to be a 92' sports fishing boat, complete with tuna tower with either wing MTUs or MANs and a big gas turbine in the center.

BOAT_SPORTFISH_92_FOOT_WHITE.jpg

http://marineturbine.com/marine-special-projects/

The vessel would exceed 50 knots with everything spooled up and firewalled!   Given the amount of windage on the boat, that was amazing.

- Stumbling

On 1/30/2019 at 7:54 PM, SloopJonB said:

Looks like the stern of that boat was altered & lengthened at some point.

I wonder if Dr. Jack Greenberg is still kicking?  I did a search not that long ago and did not find him in the obits.

- Stumbling

2 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

When I go looking for Zombie boats in the marinas, I drive this

tumblr_ojfc3u8gK41qfneswo1_1280.jpg

Florida, eh?

That axe handle is curved the wrong way for offense. It's perfect if you want to bury the head in your own skull, though.

• Like 1

Just now, Ishmael said:

Florida, eh?

That axe handle is curved the wrong way for offense. It's perfect if you want to bury the head in your own skull, though.

Did you see the barrel of the Assault RIfle? It is curved for shooting Zombies around corners!

In my local Craigslist today - the lead-in is enticing:

41' Formosa sailboat Ketch sail boat - $3600 

But then you get to this...

00F0F_eiRBNxeL5gj_600x450.jpg

00000_ifGgTAsU3P9_600x450.jpg

I go passed this one regularly and in the last 8 years have never seen anyone on or near it. 

Its growing some very healthy lichens on deck and an equally as good crop of mussels and sea life under the waterline. I do however admire the fact its still actually floating.

Screen Shot 2019-02-21 at 7.45.37 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-21 at 7.45.59 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-21 at 7.45.49 AM.png

That is a wonderful patina...

1 hour ago, Israel Hands said:

In my local Craigslist today - the lead-in is enticing:

41' Formosa sailboat Ketch sail boat - $3600 

But then you get to this...

00F0F_eiRBNxeL5gj_600x450.jpg

00000_ifGgTAsU3P9_600x450.jpg

Architectural bull rail...doesn't that convey a feeling of safety and security.

This is an important plywood test not a zombie...

Interior is shot

01414_jLGVSyPTRnm_600x450.jpg

Fify 

• Like 1

Interior shot

01414_jLGVSyPTRnm_600x450.jpg

Some stained glass, the right knicknacks and some throw cushions would bring in the buyers...

6 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Florida, eh?

6 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

Did you see the barrel of the Assault RIfle? It is curved for shooting Zombies around corners!

The weapons are on the outside, easy for the zombies to grab.  Of course they are flawed.   

Took this pic in Norfolk in 1973 I think (don't laugh - I developed it in the school darkroom)

image.png.7c6b68a5b2ec8607ee4190d3b94c7f55.png

It was this boat

Image result for sailboat atlantic crossing record

She set the transatlantic monohull record (12 days 4 hours) in 1905, winning Kaiser Wilhelm's gold cup, a record which held until 1997.

We were a sailing family, and my uncle, who managed the yard next to where she was tied up, took me there on a Saturday morning. He had regaled me with the whole story of the Atlantic, and when got there, there she was like a ghost-ship in the fog. It was an otherworldly experience, quiet as a museum and spooky. We climbed aboard and took a good look. Her main boom was at least a foot-deep piece of laminated wood - the heaviest-duty rigging a kid could imagine.  My uncle said there was talk of rebuilding her, but he knew she would never sail again. A beautiful hulk of a bygone time, she was scuttled a few years later.

• Like 6

I remember when that happened and what a shame it was - IIRC she still held the record at the time.

Overall until 1980 and monohull record til 1997 I believe.  What that ride must've been like in 1905!

Overall until 1980 and monohull record til 1997 I believe.  What that ride must've been like in 1905!

I knew some grandmothers like that.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

Took this pic in Norfolk in 1973 I think (don't laugh - I developed it in the school darkroom)

image.png.7c6b68a5b2ec8607ee4190d3b94c7f55.png

It was this boat

Image result for sailboat atlantic crossing record

She set the transatlantic monohull record (12 days 4 hours) in 1905, winning Kaiser Wilhelm's gold cup, a record which held until 1997.

We were a sailing family, and my uncle, who managed the yard next to where she was tied up, took me there on a Saturday morning. He had regaled me with the whole story of the Atlantic, and when got there, there she was like a ghost-ship in the fog. It was an otherworldly experience, quiet as a museum and spooky. We climbed aboard and took a good look. Her main boom was at least a foot-deep piece of laminated wood - the heaviest-duty rigging a kid could imagine.  My uncle said there was talk of rebuilding her, but he knew she would never sail again. A beautiful hulk of a bygone time, she was scuttled a few years later.

Cool unintentional effect!   Definitely gives a more ghostly effect to the shot.

- Stumbling

22 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

That is a wonderful patina...

Looks like she is mutating into an alternative lifeform.

- Stumbling

On 2/20/2019 at 8:10 PM, Rasputin22 said:

When I go looking for Zombie boats in the marinas, I drive this

tumblr_ojfc3u8gK41qfneswo1_1280.jpg

As your passenger casually smokes his zombie killer cigarette.

- Stumbling

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, stumblingthunder said:

As your passenger casually smokes his zombie killer cigarette.

- Stumbling

Ha ha... that's what caught my eye as well...

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 7:32 PM, Contumacious Tom said:

Offered for consideration on the Zombie Classic Boats FB group, the United States

51983575_10217174659612189_1860018656495

One commenter said it costs $60k/month for her to sit there, and if a person on the internet said it, it must be true.

I spent an afternoon wandering around her circa 1986 when she was berthed in Norfolk.  She was in dire need of maintenance back then.  I can't imagine what she is like now.

ss_united_states_photos.jpg

2 hours ago, sadug said:

South of San Diego, right by the Border............

Boat.jpg

That's sad, it's crawling off into the desert to die.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ishmael said:

That's sad, it's crawling off into the desert to die.

“I am just going outside and may be some time”

Truely a zombie, from the SA forum, may have even been on the front page....:ph34r:

I was going to say there was a Hunter in there, but then I remembered I have one...

carbon fibre.jpg

49 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

Truely a zombie, from the SA forum, may have even been on the front page....:ph34r:

I was going to say there was a Hunter in there, but then I remembered I have one...

carbon fibre.jpg

Must have bought the recycling pit from a passing floating atoll:

7556d421-531e-4066-a274-919cceb1c3b6.jpg

- Stumbling

1 hour ago, Norse Horse said:

carbon fibre.jpg

That's not a zombie, that's an island.

Where is it?

Looks like a Jersey Shore Hayscow gone Nordic.

AE2DB868-4559-40A8-B4BA-84DEF2A5157F.jpeg

• Like 1

Special non-boat zombie alert. Though possibly boating related.

Gadget claims to convert old 35mm film cameras and lenses into a Panasonic UHD 4K video cameras. For about the same price as just buying a GoPro.  But hey, it might be worth it to de-zombify that drawer full of old gear. But... seems to be vaporware at this point.  They are listed on-line but nobody actually has them in stock.  

1540488608000_IMG_1082847.jpg

Hmm... further research reveals it's a twice-run Kickstarter project that's still almost ready.  

On 1/23/2019 at 5:36 PM, Norse Horse said:

How PNW, with the big stump for support and the pallet cleverly used as a screen. https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/cowichan-valley-duncan/24-sailboat/1401142995?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

shark24.JPG

On 1/23/2019 at 5:49 PM, py26129 said:

Poor Shark!  Depending on the state of the stringers that would be worth rescuing.   I'd love to see the "Yamaha 8L motor" though!

It doesn't need an 8 litre Yamaha, or any motor for that matter.

It's horse-drawn.

• Like 2

Another trifecta!  Zombie on Craigslist (for free!) with ugly dodger.  Well... might not be quite so ugly if it even remotely fit the boat.   Shades of cluelessness there...

01717_bmiViojMoR9_600x450.jpg

00m0m_fsPeU2Okr6G_600x450.jpg

Sure makes the boat next to it look nice.  

Not a Zombie. No longer costing anyone money, so doesn't fit the thread definition, but spotted by a vigilant member of FL's West Coast Trailer Sailing Squadron when he visited the landfill. Waiting for the dozer.

LandfillZombie.jpg

WTF?

I get that the boat is sort of trash. The mast is definitely not. Those look like new parts on the front of the trailer too.

Really, the whole package looks like something I could tow to a ramp and take sailing without too much trouble. Weird world where a bulldozer is the next thing that happens.

• Like 1

I suspect municipal verge/roadside  repossession or similar. Looks perfectly sailable or at least repairable to me. Probably typical bureaucratic and government waste of resources as more expensive at government wages and effort to find it a new home than what it could be sold for! 

• Like 1

On 4/18/2018 at 5:57 AM, QBF said:

How about bringing a Sundeer 64 back from the dead?

From SetSail.com

Theta Volantis was docked in Simpson’s lagoon at St Maarten when hurricane Irma came to visit last autumn – the strongest hurricane in the island’s history. Sue Grant at Berthon sent us the lead photo and the one above, along with comments below from Theta Volantis‘ salvor:

Bonjour Madame,
In a close future I will, most probably, need your help. Theta Volantis is now in Guadeloupe. I’m a professional seaman and I have never seen a sailing yacht like she. Despite two months under the water, after hard work during two weeks to fix the main problem, I sailed with her from Saint Martin to Guadeloupe with her own sails. This sail boat is so well done that it was a good trip. Now I will have to take care of her.

She was in a marina [during the hurricane], a mast from another boat fall down on her and cause the hole.

From a witness who was looking at her from an apartment, during the hurricane, she sank in the early morning after Irma’s passage. It took all night wave after wave. My plan is to fix and refit her and work with her.

Could you, please, assist me to give a new life to Theta Volantis?
Sailors Regards

Here are Before and After shots of Theta Volantis.

5ad7161d73091_ThetaVolantis-Before.thumb.jpg.029cbc56844cc20f3200da5ea8df21e5.jpg

5ad71615e31bd_Sundeer64-ThetaVolantis.thumb.jpg.bf1823da33c66f9ed80c33481ea2fa90.jpg

Good day,

I'm the happy owner of Theta Volantis.

If you want some news...

2 hours ago, tonyof971 said:

Good day,

If you want some news...

How's the job going? Pictures of the after/after?

6 minutes ago, Mr. Ed said:

How's the job going? Pictures of the after/after?

Hi,

Let's say that is going slowly but surely .

We started to remove all the head liners and electrical wiring 

The plan is to have a light boat with industrial style and race boat spirit, Inside the hull will be paint, an e-drive will be install to replace the existing diesel engine.

The good news is that we have now some officials papers for the boat and we can use her.

We don't care about having a luxurious sailboat with air conditionning and complicated systems. we want to sail away with a reliable boat.

The bliss is not to have a big sailboat despite her condition, the bliss is sailing.

Pictures will follow

• Like 1

Pics of the inside after she was refloated please.

3 minutes ago, tonyof971 said:

Thank you.  I will quote the one sentence in English on that site:

"You are a fucking crazy French sailor !!!"

I wish you good luck and success with your project.  Please continue to keep us informed.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tonyof971 said:

That's what I expected - as bad inside as out.

Got a lot more guts than me - and people tell me I'm crazy for the amount of restoration I'll take on.

Don't start to listen to that kind of people. I have the sameones around me, and you know what...most of them they don't have anything, no boat, no house nothing.

What they are only able to do : the ctritics, the judgment but ask them what are there goals, there dreams, there projects and you will know surely who they are : they are insignificant especially compare to you.

• Like 2

I'll jump in an suggest that SloopJB is tipping his hat to you, not criticizing. It's a big job, and only someone with your time and energy can take it on. 

We all have our limits. I'm building a boat. Not the scale of your project but its good to know ones limits.

I think we all wish you the best

• Like 4

^ What he said.  I would suggest starting a new thread for this - it is going to take a while and will make it easy to follow.  Good luck. 

• Like 2

+1 to the above. I'm positive that everyone here wants all boat build and restoration projects to succeed and this thread is as much as anything about expressing sadness when they don't. Do start a new thread if you'd like Tonyof971, there will be considerable interest and we are all pulling for you.

9 hours ago, tonyof971 said:

Good day,

If you want some news...

Congratluations, Tony!

I agree with the other posters. Please do start a thread on rebuilding your new boat!

54 minutes ago, QBF said:

Congratluations, Tony!

I agree with the other posters. Please do start a thread on rebuilding your new boat!

Thank you. for your messages.

I'll keep in touch with you. I was surprised to find such blog and happy too.

The first two words were very attractive for me, Sailing and Anarchist, the first one is my life, the second one is my way of life.

IMG_1542.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonyof971 said:

Thank you. for your messages.

I'll keep in touch with you. I was surprised to find such blog and happy too.

The first two words were very attractive for me, Sailing and Anarchist, the first one is my life, the second one is my way of life.

IMG_1542.JPG

Oi! That’s my fucking island!

15 hours ago, kadyca said:

Does this qualify for the fleet? 

"22foot sail needs tender loving care has sails needs rudder sleeps 4"

ZombieFleet22.jpg

Perfect candidate.

A good pressure washing inside & out will bring that boat back to 85% complete.

9 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Perfect candidate.

A good pressure washing inside & out will bring that boat back to 85% complete.

Ahhh, the magic number again. 

6 hours ago, woahboy said:

Ahhh, the magic number again. 

Yes 85% complete but nearly all the expense in re-equpping is often in that last 15%. :)

Its a bit like new house builds or renovations. Almost complete is nowhere near complete.