toddster

The Zombie Fleet

Hazards to navigation..

Or just another barnacle boom town!

DSC04487.JPG

JAMES HARRIS

"Bella Barchetta"

Capri+04.jpg

That looks like a fairly typical ferro boat - we have lots of them like that scattered throughout the islands here. The people who own them are generally the soul brothers and sisters of many of the original ferro crowd - Hippie lives!.

Yeah, it looks like the schooner "Anne's" little daughter. Maybe Reid wasn't the only one reproducing on that voyage.

With permission from a FB friends page today.

He was inspecting the rig on Maya. Somewhere near Seattle.

Note the brown boat off the Stbd bow.

What a contrast

I once took a very long hard look at Maya, wonderful vessel, if we were going to do a lot of offshore sailing we would have purchased her, but she just did not meet the Puget Sound daysailer concept I was after, so off to Bob I went.

She appears to be quite a bargain at just under a million $. I can see your hesitation if you were looking for a day-sailor. Hard to believe she is only 8' longer than the Francis Lee.

With permission from a FB friends page today.

He was inspecting the rig on Maya. Somewhere near Seattle.

Note the brown boat off the Stbd bow.

What a contrast

I once took a very long hard look at Maya, wonderful vessel, if we were going to do a lot of offshore sailing we would have purchased her, but she just did not meet the Puget Sound daysailer concept I was after, so off to Bob I went.

She appears to be quite a bargain at just under a million $. I can see your hesitation if you were looking for a day-sailor. Hard to believe she is only 8' longer than the Francis Lee.

But quite a bit more beam and displacement......

Somebody could get a great buy in Maya........I am tempted to pick her up just because she is such a wonderful vessel.

How do I convince SWMBO that we need too long sailboats?

Somebody could get a great buy in Maya........I am tempted to pick her up just because she is such a wonderful vessel.

That's easy, a day-sailor and a world wide cruiser. If that doesn't work hit her with the bargain angle, women love a bargain! Besides although they are both long one is svelte and the other is, um, full figured, yeah that's it, full figured.

Freudian slip? ;)

OtH you can make it, go small and go sooner. Tell your wife you'll meet her in some nice seaside town she might like to visit, take the boat there and then take her to a sidewalk cafe with a view of the sea. I have not idea what your skills are but heck I learned so you can too... you may already have everything you need to make it happen in fact.

Too many people have "The Dream" of sailing oceans on a big sail-round-the-Horn style vessel, perhaps they envision themselves battling hurricanes & giant squids; but their dream founders on the expense and impracticality. That's why I say go small and go now. My best cruises were 1- or 2-weekers in a trailerable boat with a dog and some with a buddy.

FB- Doug

SF, I agree with much of what you said.

As much as I drool over Estar's Hawk, I have learned (I hope) to be realistic. I don't really have dreams of sailing 'round the horn or crossing oceans.

I have the boat I intend to use for coastal cruising and I'm fixing it up as best I can. I don't think that sticking to the East Coast of North America and maybe the Caribbean is very limiting. There's plenty to see and do. Assuming my employment is secure, I have a job where I can earn over 2 months of vacation and actually use it. I don't have to wait until retirement.

Managing expectations is part of making the dream happen.

Toddster! Where is this mouldering Cal 28? Ours is in the market for a new mast...

Freudian slip? ;)

Nope, but I am surprised anyone caught on, I was having my own private laugh over the wording.....

Toddster! Where is this mouldering Cal 28? Ours is in the market for a new mast...

I believe that there are two of them in Scappoose Bay. One at least got its tarps changed this year.

This is why belonging to a sailing club is great. I belong to one club in Baltimore that for about 800 a year and proving you are safe you can daysail j22s and cruise on a fleet of cruisers. Not to mention race on Thursday nights all summer. Since a ton of the work is volunteer driven if you want to learn something there is always a boat that needs that repair and someone who has done a bunch who can teach. When i wanted to learn about wiring a boat i helped a memwber who is a master electrician rewire one of the cruisers. You get a huge group of sailing biddies to sail with and social aspects. I do not own my own boat yet nor do I intend to until fiscally ready to race a top notch race program. But in the mean time I sailed over 100 days so far this year between racing and cruising. My point is those zombie boats are too much for any one person but put them into a groups hands and get people out on the water.

I've seen and bought zombies. Current boat is a 1969 24 footer. bought her 3 years ago from a couple guys who i think got scared. Paid $1100 (think could have done better) with winter storage paid. Included an older 5hp outboard that runs reliably if not powerfully. Paid to have trucked home then bought barely used main and jib for same model boat. Into it for maybe $2000 total.

After 35 years sailing i have just as much fun every time i go out as many folks would have in a $50k boat or a new $75k Catalina 27 Sport thing. I spend about $1000 each year on transport and launch/mooring fees.

If only people could look a little more than skin deep there'd be alot more sailing out there.

Activity! Hmm... waterline raises up almost a foot. New tarp appears over the cockpit. For Sale sign goes up! Bet it's a beauty inside. Doesn't seem to be on CL though.

zombiewaterline_zps783b6813.jpg

Second times the charm

Raiatea French Polynesia

531745288_c821e0441d_z.jpg?zz=1

Note the tree growing out of the companionway

Second times the charm

Raiatea French Polynesia

That will buff right out.

Don't you have a picture of a girl in front of it? Hint...

We don't have this type of zaniness up north were the the water gets hard. Every fall, you have a gut-check when it comes to boat ownership. It HAS to come out, costing time and money. Reverse the process in the spring. Get tired of playing the game and you have to leave the boat business well before it has the chance to turn into a zombie.

Not that some do not try, however....

seaw03.jpg

Naw that looks like a hunter so not much of a loss. And it's tagged in Maryland where you can boat 12 months a year most years. However it is a borderline area to do it with out some caution.

Boobage

post-100744-0-88425800-1385009525_thumb.jpg

Second times the charm

Raiatea French Polynesia

If only boats could tell stories! That thing looks like it had some miles under her keel?

Saw this at Shilshole on my last trip:

IMG_20120816_202619.jpg

Bit o varnish, dab of paint, new broom for the sterm.... Not sure about those two concrete pavers leading to the cockpit. Brick is much more classy...

Hazards to navigation..

Or just another barnacle boom town!

DSC04487.JPG

JAMES HARRIS

"Bella Barchetta"

Capri+04.jpg

Half Moon Bay CA?

Brownsville Marina, WA

gallery_35769_392_1703.jpg

gallery_35769_392_251336.jpg

gallery_35769_392_32308.jpg

Who needs a dinghy when you can simply fly around on a broom. Genius!

What's spooky in your marina?

Not my marina, but I sailed into here (Vallejo) about 6 months ago:

(front row with the sterns facing us, third boat from the right. It's a little hard to see the boat given the way she's berthed so look at the masts if you don't see her at first)

attachicon.gifslipfee.JPG

Nice! A Submarine!

Saw this at Shilshole on my last trip:

IMG_20120816_202619.jpg

A for effort?

Good thing he had a safety line on that outboard, or it would have dropped into the w... ... ...

FB- Doug

Brownsville Marina, WA

gallery_35769_392_1703.jpg

gallery_35769_392_251336.jpg

gallery_35769_392_32308.jpg

Who needs a dinghy when you can simply fly around on a broom. Genius!

I think that's the emergency tiller.

Usually when I drive past a yard like that, I just assume that it's tribal property. And btw, what it's full of is "resources."

Well, this one could go in the CL thread, but since it's "Free," and "must be moved" I assume it qualifies as a zombie.

01313_dGwgyJMkoWN_600x450.jpg00i0i_ijhutHB1TwJ_600x450.jpg

um... how do you get into the cabin?

Pry off some of the plywood, just like getting into a derelict building.

I know this fellow. He doesn't do the grinding. He strips 'em, chops 'em up with a chainsaw, sends 'em to the landfill. He's a pretty good guy really, he tries to get people to rehab some of the better sailboats he gets.

I know this fellow. He doesn't do the grinding. He strips 'em, chops 'em up with a chainsaw, sends 'em to the landfill. He's a pretty good guy really, he tries to get people to rehab some of the better sailboats he gets.

Do you think he gets a lot of Nordic 44's? I could maybe foster one of those.

Er... magical monofilament invisible backstay and forestay too?

They're there, just taking a break for this decade.

post-100744-0-23821600-1385099494_thumb.jpg

Twofer to make up for previous lack of nipples

post-100744-0-11853500-1385099250_thumb.jpg

Foudn thsi one a few years ago in Belleville Ont.. At Tip of the Bay. My, at the time 9 year old daughter was most impressed with the fact that there were 8 or more anchors aboard. She did mention though that, in her opinion three fisherman anchors were a waste and she would have put on a few different types of anchors.

post-37611-0-75637200-1385130146_thumb.jpg

Do you think he gets a lot of Nordic 44's? I could maybe foster one of those.

Not so much with the Nordic 44's. Few of the sailboats he salvages exceed 30 ft.

MacGregor 26 at a local marina this spring

post-376-0-30070000-1385155366_thumb.jpg

I'm finding it difficult to be upset about this one...

Raise it, pressure wash it inside & out and it will be as good? as new.

I'm finding it difficult to be upset about this one...

If that's a MacGregor down there, it's almost certainly one of the sailboats, not one of the hated powersailers.

The description has a certain charm

"For sale is a 41' 1978 Cheoy Lee sail boat, the boat has been gutted, missing many functional parts, no engine, small mast is broken, part of the floor is broken. The inside condition is very dirty, the boat has been neglected for over a decade, pumped out regularly, but might have been a home to some raccoons and cats. If you are willing to undertake a long and difficult renovation project here is your chance to own a sail boat from the legendary Cheoy Lee manufacturer at a reduced price, you can also live on board if you want"

I didn't realize that Cheoy Lee was "legendary"... but hey, a currently-raccoon-free dwelling has to be worth SOMETHING right?

FB- Doug

someone could use it for a viking funeral

That thing would take a years part time work just to get back to a bare hull & deck before you could start building a boat.

Death row at a boatyard in Hampton, Virginia.

dr1.jpg

dr2.jpg

dr3.jpg

dr4.jpg

dr5.jpg

Isn't that the S.S. Minnow up next?

I'm not 100% positive that this one is a Zombie. It is an interesting use of a Bayliner sailboat. Note that the cockpit has been fiberglassed over (so the boat can no longer be sailed, even if you cleared off all of the junk).

P1060228-XL.jpg

P1060229-XL.jpg

And an actual zombie, a mooring line that appears to have been in place for years:

P1060226-M.jpg

Wow, that's the best looking MacGregor I've ever seen!

I'm not 100% positive that this one is a Zombie. It is an interesting use of a Bayliner sailboat. Note that the cockpit has been fiberglassed over (so the boat can no longer be sailed, even if you cleared off all of the junk).

P1060228-XL.jpg

P1060229-XL.jpg

And an actual zombie, a mooring line that appears to have been in place for years:

P1060226-M.jpg

You get the "Boat Recognition" grand prize - takes an experienced eye to spot a Binliner under all that crap.

P1060228-XL.jpg

P1060229-XL.jpg

P1060226-M.jpg

The Sanford & Son of liveaboards. And that's Shilshole right? Wow.

Yup, it is at Shilshole. Last boat on the S-dock, north side.

Damn, even the junk on than Bin-Liner looks zombied...

Pull the tarp off, pull the boom cover off, pull the cover off the motor, pull the cord on the motor. Ready to go!!! :lol::lol:

With an electric trolling motor as well. All the options! At least he's environment friendly. No...wait. An environment hazard.

Where's the Shilshole police!!!

Yup, it's in the rules:

http://www.portseattle.org/Marinas/Shilshole-Bay-Marina/Documents/SBM_Customer_Handbook%20_2011.pdf

Vessels moored in the Marina must, at all times, be completely without hazardous conditions,
seaworthy and ready for immediate cruising in local waters. Vessels must be capable of safely
maneuvering under their own power. Vessel hull, keel, decking, cabin and mast must be
structurally sound and generally free from dry rot or other similar defects or deficiencies.
Management may ask a vessel owner to demonstrate the seaworthiness of the vessel.

I don't think it is enforced very often.

It still seems to be the most actively used and one of the better maintained marinas in the area.

Yup, it's in the rules:

http://www.portseattle.org/Marinas/Shilshole-Bay-Marina/Documents/SBM_Customer_Handbook%20_2011.pdf

Vessels moored in the Marina must, at all times, be completely without hazardous conditions,
seaworthy and ready for immediate cruising in local waters. Vessels must be capable of safely
maneuvering under their own power. Vessel hull, keel, decking, cabin and mast must be
structurally sound and generally free from dry rot or other similar defects or deficiencies.
Management may ask a vessel owner to demonstrate the seaworthiness of the vessel.

I don't think it is enforced very often.

It still seems to be the most actively used and one of the better maintained marinas in the area.

Thanks Alex W. I was being facetious really. I've found the port pretty good. The "Shilshole police" I'm taking about are the liveaboards there always lurking around looking for something to do. I've been stopped a couple times on Friday night before racing. One night when I was going over to Coruba and this guy stopped me in my tracks on the dock asking what a I was doing here? I thought I was going to be I.D.ed and frisked until he figured out I wasn't a threat. It's great they take care of it each other but that there's a certain amount of nosyness I found with liveaboards. It comes from living in fishbowl. It's about that wreck there and I thought their neighbors would have taken steps themselves.

I find it curious that the scruffiest, messiest, dirtiest garbage scows are usually liveaboards. You'd think they'd be the nicest boats in any marina.

I find it curious that the scruffiest, messiest, dirtiest garbage scows are usually liveaboards. You'd think they'd be the nicest boats in any marina.

Think of them as a large shopping cart...

I don't think there are enough "floating hoarders" to stereotype liveaboards that way.

As a liveaboard, my boat was scrupulously clean, and ready to sail within 30 minutes, 24/7.

Red Lady is living aboard and operates the same way.

My buddies Mik, Clove Hitch and Mike all lived that way.

We did have one shitbox in the marina. He was fairly shunned, not just because he was a slob, but because he exhibited aggressive and erratic personality traits.

I said the scruffiest boats tend to be liveaboards, not that liveaboards tend to have scruffy boats.

HUUUUGE difference. ;)

The next time I'm out Shelter Island way I'll take some pics and let you decide which ones are the liveaboards.

As I recall Shilshole has a rule that the boat must be operable. Right?

Maybe that's just how Bayliners operate?

DSC_4527.JPG?gl=CA

This one especially makes me very sad because its an old Tayana 37 like mine.

600 or so floating around the world, and I hate to see any one of them ins such a state if sickening neglect.

Looks like someone took a chainsaw to the original wooden mast. What a shame.

Hey Ishmael, where did you take this pic?

Maybe I can come by and hit the owner up for some spare parts...

DSC_4527.JPG?gl=CA

This one especially makes me very sad because its an old Tayana 37 like mine.

600 or so floating around the world, and I hate to see any one of them ins such a state if sickening neglect.

Looks like someone took a chainsaw to the original wooden mast. What a shame.

Hey Ishmael, where did you take this pic?

Maybe I can come by and hit the owner up for some spare parts...

Port McNeill, Vancouver Island. I'm not sure the owner ever checks in to his boat, it's a mess. I suspect a dismasting wiped out another dream.

11520085154_58c2c04201_b.jpg

11520087324_57c60b27c0_b.jpg

I overheard two female co-workers yammering on about something exciting happening in a TV show that they both watch. I mentioned that I watch about one hour of TV per week and one of the women stated almost proudly, that ALL she does is watch TV.

I took my PA out for a holiday lunch, and asked what she did for spare time recreation . . .she said she shopped. That pretty much ended that line of conversation :) But I suppose it is better than watching TV.

As much as I drool over Estar's Hawk, I have learned (I hope) to be realistic.

Managing expectations is part of making the dream happen.

Save your pennies . . . you may be able to buy your dream . . . . just a bit depressed right now . . . our 'dream' may be nearing its end . . .with various family and medical things that are probably going to soak up my time over the next decade. . . .I am fighting to find ways to continue but loosing ground.

My friend, there is always a way to have your cake and eat it too. You are clever and resourceful enough to find a way.

As always, I am here to lend a hand. :)

I overheard two female co-workers yammering on about something exciting happening in a TV show that they both watch. I mentioned that I watch about one hour of TV per week and one of the women stated almost proudly, that ALL she does is watch TV.

I took my PA out for a holiday lunch, and asked what she did for spare time recreation . . .she said she shopped. That pretty much ended that line of conversation :) But I suppose it is better than watching TV.

Personally, I think it's better for that sort of vacuous space waster to just zone out in front of the TV - at least that way they aren't driving the creation of more & more garbage.

LOL...in the Navy, we call them "oxygen thieves".

Ajax, this doesn't apply to yo, but something you said prompted me:

There is no phrase I hate hearing more than "I have learned to be realistic".

It is too often (present company excepted) just a self-esteem-saving way of saying "I give up, everyone else is right."

Speaking as a one-time homeless person still living with mental illness, "accepting reality" was not an option.

If I accepted reality, I'd be on a disability ticket living in geared-to-income housing.

+ a bunch BL. It is just another way of saying "I've given up my dreams".

By the way, when did you move to Cali?

+ a bunch BL. It is just another way of saying "I've given up my dreams".

By the way, when did you move to Cali?

I think he's still in CAnada.

My CA includes BC. Your BC indicates that you believe you are /different and/or better than CA, and your ignorance of the fact that CA is not Ca. illustrates why my CA is superior to BC...OK? Now just settle down and sit back and accept the fact that you are three time zones behind the part of the world that matters and, further, are simply a real estate bubble and liberal lawmaker driven cautionary tale for the rest of the country, okay?