toddster

The Zombie Fleet

11019549_1009612169072294_32650281354021

I think that boat is in a state of suspended animation, more than it is undead. Great photo, and nicely done to wedge the keel into the rocks so cleverly.

The skipper must have thought of that right before or right after putting out all the fenders just in case a large dock drifted alongside, or in case someone wanted to raft alongside as the tide was going out.

I gather November Charlie can be substituted by skying a halyard and hanging an mob light below the transom

11019549_1009612169072294_32650281354021

This is an advanced RIMAS maneuver.

Rimas don't need no stinkin' rocks to prop his boat up - he can park it perfectly vertically on a smooth sand beach.

Wow!

Moss and/or mushrooms on a wood boat spell the end.

Getting it onto that trailer must have cost more than it's worth.

So someone wanted to throw it away really badly or someone is so badly afflicted with Polynavicular Morbus that he intends to restore it.

And you know it's a he. Very, very few women contract PN.

MIST.JPG

It'll buff out.

Name is Mist. Picture is on the Harrison Butler Association website.

More resurrected Mist, than undead zombie. But, the moss gives her a walking dead look.

That looks like a close sister ship of Lady Mary, a Harrison Butler something-tonner, who is on her mooring outside our window as I type. Owned by our very good friends Keith and Janet. Lady Mary spent something like fifteen years in their suburban garden as a zombie, with a painstaking restoration going on. The photo doesn't really do her justice - she's a very pretty boat indeed.

As you probably know Harrison Butler was a keen proponent of the Metacentric Shelf theory, which I think means getting a perfect helm balance at all angles of heel

TLMofW.png

My last post, as it was pointed out, lacked some zombielike qualities so in an effort to redeem myself I present this beauty.

post-103517-0-48597300-1472407869_thumb.jpg

My last post, as it was pointed out, lacked some zombielike qualities so in an effort to redeem myself I present this beauty.

I think you are in safe country this time.

The Rainbow has obviously lost a lot of color. She's definitely a zombie.

Rainbow refers to the mildew and mold multi hued collection in the vee berth. :o

various-colors-mold-15961910.jpg

The puzzling thing about Rainbow is that the chain on that bowsprit looks new. Why?

The boat obviously hasn't had a mast in quite a while and without a mast, a bowsprit is just something to cut off.

"Rainbow refers to the mildew and mold multi hued collection in the vee berth'

Really? I thought it was a reference to the captain's teeth.

The puzzling thing about Rainbow is that the chain on that bowsprit looks new. Why?

The boat obviously hasn't had a mast in quite a while and without a mast, a bowsprit is just something to cut off.

I was wondering about that too. It makes one wonder what is going on with that bowsprit, just out of the camera frame? What upward force could those chains counter, and where does it come from?

And then I realized that I could be using those neurons to think about my own boat...

If that is algae on mist, and it has just been resurrected from the deep, the wood may be ok.

Maui Punter is onto something. I am now aware of 3 boats that have been Rimassed. A grading system needs to be employed in order to compare the quality of the various Rimas maneouvres. As Maui's post suggests, beginning, standard, and Advanced may be a good start. Or perhaps a five-star rating system. Points could be awarded according to a maximum possible score based on difficulty, with points deducted based on the quality of execution, similar to gymnastics or diving. Like figure skating, points could be awarded in two categories: technical merit and artistic impression.

The bold statement presented by Knight Star's apparently undamaged hull standing proudly atop the rock outcrop and silhouetted against the sky, coupled with its juxtaposition with the light house should give Knight Star the maximum possible for artistic impression. Furthermore, the extraneous presentation of the fenders provides a whimsical sense of comic relief to an otherwise austere setting.

You must deduct points for the halyard flying in the breeze and that sloppy tow line astern. Not even a bridle! These little details become important in the advanced division.

The great use of distress flags and oversized flag of convenience, as well as a safety conscious radar deflector show true artistry. Rimas keeps the title, though the emulator is quite good. The goal is not merely an epic fail. One must demonstrate utter incompetence while providing the appearance of true seamanship.

You have a third contender?

post-120910-0-05857300-1472822374_thumb.jpeg

The only way that shot of Rimas' boat could be improved is if the rudder was intact. I give it a 4.9 on Shu's scale.

How'd he do that? :blink:

The only way that shot of Rimas' boat could be improved is if the rudder was intact. I give it a 4.9 on Shu's scale.

How'd he do that? :blink:

It was discussed in his thread.

He did it the same way any record-breaking drifter would. He fell asleep and woke up to find the boat that way, then had coffee.

Imagine taking a nap as you face likely death, then Nonchalantly preparing coffee when you wake up again. The man does have a certain style. Perhaps Mr. Bean or Buster Keaton, but still style.

'Cuz the dockline is tied to it?

Anyway there appears to be the remains of a sail still bent on the remains of the mast, covered by the remains of a sail cover. A philosphical comment on the passage of time.

FB- Doug

....nough said

Can you say Spinal Compression Fractures?

THAT'S MAGNIFICENT!

Is the keel not deliberately set in the concrete? As if it were intended to be a garden ornament, or a piece of environmental art? Not sure if it counts as a zombie, though, for which qualification I think someone has to be paying bills for it.

Thank you, made my day.

"How ever to the person that knows the J class boats.

Know what this boat is really worth."

I suspect this to be true even of the persons that do not knows the J class boats.

"How ever to the person that knows the J class boats.

Know what this boat is really worth."

I suspect this to be true even of the persons that do not knows the J class boats.

Sort of 'found poetry' there, isn't it?

But of course, the person who knows J-boats also sees at a glance that this is not a J-22 at all, not at all.

What is the sound of a J-24 clapping?

FB- Doug

Not sure if it qualifies as a zombie, but it definitely can be scored on the Rimas scale. The apparent distance from any body of water could give it a maximum difficulty score, even if the execution is a bit wanting, seeing as how it is significantly out of fore and aft trim. On the other hand, that same remoteness from water is more likely an indicator that this J-24 was sitting propped up for a long time, and once the keel had sunk in, the supports were removed. I have two possible scores:

A. accidental Rimas, deposited far above the high tide line: Difficulty 6.0 (maximum possible) with 2 full points deducted for poor execution; 4.0 points. Artistic Impression 3.2 points (again the poor for and aft trim ruins the effect, but points are awarded for the partial covering of leaves, which gives a back to nature look that belies it's ultimate fate) for an averaged score of 4.6.

B. sloppy boat storage resulting in appearance of a Rimas: DSQ. It's a fraud; a cheat.

I put it to the panel to determine the cause, and therefore the appropriate score.

It's a zombie due to sloppy storage.

The owner might be as deluded as Rimas. He seems to think it has value. I think it has a disposal cost that can be slightly mitigated by those winches.

Not sure if it qualifies as a zombie, but it definitely can be scored on the Rimas scale. The apparent distance from any body of water could give it a maximum difficulty score, even if the execution is a bit wanting, seeing as how it is significantly out of fore and aft trim. On the other hand, that same remoteness from water is more likely an indicator that this J-24 was sitting propped up for a long time, and once the keel had sunk in, the supports were removed. I have two possible scores:

A. accidental Rimas, deposited far above the high tide line: Difficulty 6.0 (maximum possible) with 2 full points deducted for poor execution; 4.0 points. Artistic Impression 3.2 points (again the poor for and aft trim ruins the effect, but points are awarded for the partial covering of leaves, which gives a back to nature look that belies it's ultimate fate) for an averaged score of 4.6.

B. sloppy boat storage resulting in appearance of a Rimas: DSQ. It's a fraud; a cheat.

I put it to the panel to determine the cause, and therefore the appropriate score.

I've got to disagree with you on the artistic impression. I give it a full 6. The impression of it rising to a difficult sea on the starboard bow gives the whole scene an animation that rivals the finest representations of sea, the equivalent of Gericault's Medusa, or Hokkusai's Great Wave: it can also be seen as a caged or wounded animal rearing up in protest, a protest that is guaranteed to be futile, since it's actually set in concrete. Can you not hear it howl? How often have we all felt like that, when shackled to a desk miles from the sea?

In any case, a magnificent commentary on the ambivalent relationship between land and sea

I nominate it for the Turner Prize.

Cruisers have right of way.....

14054048_1196587567028011_50969719351982

Well, he is on starboard tack. May be a clueless asshole but he does have ROW.

IIRC upwind has ROW over downwind - tack doesn't matter.

The perspective in that pic is weird - looks like the white boat is going up the starboard side of the cruiser but they are behind its chute

This guy has assembled a horrific collection of Zombies. A truly apocalyptic moorage.

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-27%20at%203.43.3

One of them gave up the ghost yesterday, so to speak.

-429c802daac0c440.jpg

Although if "someone spending money on it" is the criterium, this zombie has just shifted into high gear!

Well, he is on starboard tack. May be a clueless asshole but he does have ROW.

IIRC upwind has ROW over downwind - tack doesn't matter.

The perspective in that pic is weird - looks like the white boat is going up the starboard side of the cruiser but they are behind its chute

??? "upwind has ROW over downwind"

No, starboard tack still has R-O-W over port tack.

It does look like a close call with that white boat.

FB- Doug

Sailboats

The Rules of the Road began in the days when most ships had square rigs and had trouble sailing to windward. The rules made the downwind boat "give way" to those sailing to windward, the "privileged" boat.

Don't forget that racing rules apply only to the race and the racecourse does not provide special exemption from the international rules. Tack is determined by the mainsail. For example, port tack means that the wind is coming over the port side (left side facing forward) of the boat and the mainsail (or largest foresail) is carried to starboard. The port side is thus the windward side.

1. Starboard tack rule: A sailboat with the wind on the port side (port tack) shall keep out of the way of a sailboat with the wind on the starboard side (starboard tack).
  2. Windward rule: A sailboat on the same tack but to windward shall keep clear of a sailboat which is to leeward. [This means a boat sailing downwind must alter course to avoid a boat sailing upwind on the same tack. Older books say "a vessel which has the wind aft shall keep out of the way of the other vessel."]
  3. A sailboat on a port tack that sees a sailboat to windward and cannot determine which tack it is on, shall keep clear of the other.

Sailboats

The Rules of the Road began in the days when most ships had square rigs and had trouble sailing to windward. The rules made the downwind boat "give way" to those sailing to windward, the "privileged" boat.

Don't forget that racing rules apply only to the race and the racecourse does not provide special exemption from the international rules. Tack is determined by the mainsail. For example, port tack means that the wind is coming over the port side (left side facing forward) of the boat and the mainsail (or largest foresail) is carried to starboard. The port side is thus the windward side.

1. Starboard tack rule: A sailboat with the wind on the port side (port tack) shall keep out of the way of a sailboat with the wind on the starboard side (starboard tack).
  2. Windward rule: A sailboat on the same tack but to windward shall keep clear of a sailboat which is to leeward. [This means a boat sailing downwind must alter course to avoid a boat sailing upwind on the same tack. Older books say "a vessel which has the wind aft shall keep out of the way of the other vessel."]
  3. A sailboat on a port tack that sees a sailboat to windward and cannot determine which tack it is on, shall keep clear of the other.

Sure. This is windward-leeward. Sailboats on the same tack.

I dimly recall a rule from long before either of us were sailing, to the effect that a racing yacht with a spinnaker hoisted had right-of-way over another yacht which does not; presumably this could give port+spinnaker R-O-W over starboard. This may have only been a rule for inland scows, which my grandfather raced back when they had gunter mainsails and asymmetric spinnakers with two-piece spinnaker poles, all hoisted to windward of the jib. But I don't think a boat sailing free on port has (or ever had) R-O-W over a close-hauled boat on starboard, under ColRegs or anything else.

FB- Doug

You guys have been sailing too long under those NASCAR derived racing regs. ;)

"a vessel which has the wind aft shall keep out of the way of the other vessel."

That goes back to the days of square riggers when ever yard to windward was paid for in blood.

Ever since I started sailing I thought it made more sense now, with fore & aft rigs, that downwind would have ROW. Can you imagine BITD a ketch under chute, blooper, main, mizzen chute and mizzen meeting a boat coming upwind? The upwind boat could clear by simply luffing for a few seconds at most while the downwind boat faced a potential catastrophe of tangled lines and destroyed sails trying to keep clear.

Up here the ketch would be flying a Norwiegan flag and this pick would most likely be a 4th of July race.....

You guys have been sailing too long under those NASCAR derived racing regs. ;)

"a vessel which has the wind aft shall keep out of the way of the other vessel."

That goes back to the days of square riggers when ever yard to windward was paid for in blood.

Starboard has right of way under the colregs, regardless of windward/leeward positions. That quote, or at least the current equivalent (since 1972), only applies when both boats are on the same tack.

The zombie thread turned zombie and had to be recovered from the 2nd page.

fc5f729d90f6e2885ce6775ff42b4191.jpg

A Mad-Max zombie. Look at the twin anchors off the back.

blogger-image-845283729.jpg

This guy has some great junk on the trunk finds as well. http://chrismorejohn.blogspot.ca/2015/02/cockpits-of-shame-part-2-transom.html

"I feel I need a tetanus shot just from looking at it. The only thing holding her together, are the bird droppings, sir."

Can't believe you guys are arguing over a basic port/starboard... good job this is cruising anarchy, hahaha.

This guy has some great junk on the trunk finds as well. http://chrismorejohn.blogspot.ca/2015/02/cockpits-of-shame-part-2-transom.html

And another zombie.

If you didn't click on that link, you're really missing out. Almost every pic tops most we've seen in the "Junk In The Trunk" thread. Amazing. I agree with his comment that cruising boats should just be designed to carry all this stuff in a seamanlike manner.

According to "Z Nation," some kinds of zombies do swim. And "Weekend at Bernies" reveals how zombies can be used for submarine activities, so they could burst up through the bottom of a boat an anchorage, for example. You'd only hear the faint sound of steel drum music a few seconds before the attack...

According to "Z Nation," some kinds of zombies do swim. And "Weekend at Bernies" reveals how zombies can be used for submarine activities, so they could burst up through the bottom of a boat an anchorage, for example. You'd only hear the faint sound of steel drum music a few seconds before the attack...

Damn, gonna need side scanning zombie sonar for that. :o

http://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/5-zombie-flicks-to-keep-you-up-at-night.html/?a=viewall

If I sprinkle something on my dinghy, stern scoop and companionway, the zombies won't smell me.

http://123movies.is/film/i-am-legend-5519/

Hey that looks like a BS boat.

man those hard chined, steel boats are all over the caribbean, I get the impression that they're very cheap. my observation is that the sailors that own them are the most the shoe string of shoe string budget cruisers.

All it needs is 2 hrs of maintenance a year and it's as good as new.

All it needs is 2 hrs of maintenance a year and it's as good as new.

Those straight spreaders really make for a race(ier) looking rig.

Good evening,

I am sad to say that this once solid, sound and repairable Vertue has now joined the Zombie fleet.

It belonged to an old mate of mine, now sadly deceased and he kept it in a shed, to be relaunched upon his retirement. The boat got sold and was stored in the open. Now kaput.

post-14467-0-84360300-1484339635_thumb.jpg

post-14467-0-51492800-1484339656_thumb.jpg

Hmm.... left on the island, with the dinghy. Swam to shore? Or someone still inside there...

Had some strong winds for the past day here and I found a similar scenario on may way into work this morning. This is on Weems Creek where if you recall, we had the recent Ranger 28 sinking as well as plenty of other strong candidates. This Columbia 26 is one of many that go out there to slowly perish. Not sure of the bottom state there, but I believe there is rip-rap for the bridge, just not sure how far it goes and if the keel is banging around there.

68F04407-47C4-4CE3-9433-AB6C65ADF24F.jpg

... and it's floating around hitting other people's boats now. Even though the guy knows its loose.

Dead or Undead?

This has been sitting next to the US 41 bridge for a few days. I think it was a Hunter. I've been meaning to stop and take a pic but never did. A buddy posted this on FB.

hunter-wreck.jpg

...it could be fixed.

Problem is, once fully repaired, it will be a Hunter 23.

I looked at it earlier in the week. The spars are good.

...it could be fixed.

Problem is, once fully repaired, it will be a Hunter 23.

I looked at it earlier in the week. The spars are good.

For a 23 it's got a big living room. If you are into that sort of thing.

Sure anything can be fixed. Those 1980s-era Hunters are good boats in many ways; it's difficult to find boats that sails as well for their size & cost with anything remotely close to the same roominess & comfort. If you can get the thing into decent shape for not-too-much money, can't go wrong.

But Tom's right, it would be easy to sink far too much work and money into this. And they made a blue billion of the friggin' things, they are almost as common littering the countryside as those old Venture 21s.

FB- Doug

Thread bump, Big Russian Zombie from CNN

post-120910-0-19385500-1488122493_thumb.jpg

How strange are the economics where it works out to use a marina slip as a mini storage locker. :huh:

In other news, I recently observed people with fishing gear boarding a zombie near me.  A couple of guys actually stripped the tarps off, and for a few minutes, I thought they were actually going to sail the thing!  I hung around surreptitiously to watch because the way the stitching is unraveling out of the sails, it could potentially be a pretty spectacular sight.  But they just sat in the cockpit and fished the slip for a while. For some reason, there's a new "no fishing" sign on the gate.  

A fleet of zombies.

Brent Swain Paradise.jpg

Is that Brent,  in his Sunday best,  drying his nail polish?  

I think she's the queen of the fleet

Gosh - that's not a boat, it's an artwork. A metaphor for the mutability of dreams. Wonderful photos.

Another Buccaneer, this one a twin-mast conversion. The picture is about 5 years old and the resident has since moved on, God bless him. The boat was taken to the dump last year and I neglected to photo it in it's state of ultimate zombie.

DSCN1102.jpg

DSCN1104.jpg

On 6/21/2017 at 2:55 AM, boatcat65 said:

Somewhere in the NW- a Shane "Trimmership"- typically about 45-50'.

18199220_1288767157897583_5620712362193103439_n.jpg

On 6/21/2017 at 2:57 AM, boatcat65 said:

One thing the NW does better than just about anywhere else is moss- thick, verdant moss.  ;-)

18198214_1288767104564255_631058810437767682_n.jpg

Before the apocalypse 

IMG_4433.JPG

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 2:27 PM, robert644 said:

Another Buccaneer, this one a twin-mast conversion. The picture is about 5 years old and the resident has since moved on, God bless him. The boat was taken to the dump last year and I neglected to photo it in it's state of ultimate zombie.

DSCN1102.jpg

DSCN1104.jpg

Twin masts on a Buccaneer?  A turbo Buccaneer?  Sweet. 

What's its PHRF rating?

12 hours ago, Lex Teredo said:

Twin masts on a Buccaneer?  A turbo Buccaneer?  Sweet. 

What's its PHRF rating?

What caught was the bow roller....