• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JoeB

Painting a dry sail bottom

I have a B25 I plan on painting this winter. It is dry sailed and in need of paint, top and bottom. I intend on spraying and do not have the equipment for a two part paint so i plan on using Interlux brightsides.

What is best for speed? should I paint and then apply McLube polish? Should I not apply anything but wetsand with 1000?

I have a B25 I plan on painting this winter. It is dry sailed and in need of paint, top and bottom. I intend on spraying and do not have the equipment for a two part paint so i plan on using Interlux brightsides.

What is best for speed? should I paint and then apply McLube polish? Should I not apply anything but wetsand with 1000?

use

Interlux VC 17m Extra Antifouling Paint

Interlux VC 17m Extra Antifouling Paint

The advantage of dry sailing is less annual maintenance on the bottom and no paint buildup.

The disadvantage, other than cost, is keeping the bottom clean and fast between races.

I sail out of Naptown on a bigger boat with a Durepox bottom (zero antifouling properties). After a 3 day summer regatta, the bottom gets a little slimy/fuzzy.

Get something you can clean.

Also, the bay will stain most light colors brownish. The owner uses an acid solution to clean/whiten up the bottom after each race.

No free lunch, but it is less work than burnishing baltoplate every year

P

Pettit easypoxy flows out better and lasts longer than bright side. Neither work underwater. Use Vivid below waterline. Bright colors and burnishable. Wetsands easy for slick bottom.

Thanks all. I only want to do this once.

None of you said to go with McLube polish over the paint. Interesting.

If you use brightside you will be doing this more than once. You could use performance epoxy, durepox or awl grip. Then polish with mclube or wax a few times a year if you really want to dork out.

Then use a product that is made specifically for dry sailing and not some in-water-storage bottom paint. Durepox or VC performance epoxy are both great for this application

Thanks all. I only want to do this once.

None of you said to go with McLube polish over the paint. Interesting.

If you only want to do this once, I wouldn't use a 1 part enamel like Brighsides or Easypoxy......Especially if you ramp launch.

If you're going to spray, why can't you use a 2part epoxy like Awlgrip 545?

100 x harder than an enamel and is formulated to be wet sanded....unlike a 1 part topcoat.

Interlux used to have a dry sail paint called vc eco. No antifoul, hard finish and was said to stand up to abrasion due to trailer/cradles. Perfect for a melges or a j/70.

Not sure if it's still produced, or what's replaced it if not.

Two part epoxies require a positive flow air feed as the fumes are toxic when spraying. A one part epoxy does not or I would buy Awlgrip. Spraying a two part epoxy with a $50 mask can kill you.